Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vladster

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
I'm eligible to upgrade for free since I bought MBP 2012 with Lion. How can I install ML at my other MBs that are compatible with ML? It's been mentioned before that you can have one OS X license per household unless something's changed....

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
The full up-to-date licence doesn't appear to have been published yet, however the update is delivered through the App Store and the standard licence terms state that you may use App Store purchases on all the computers that you own.

In other words, you're probably able to use it on all of your computers (via the Purchased tab in the App Store), but it's likely that you'll need to wait until tomorrow to know for sure.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
I'm eligible to upgrade for free since I bought MBP 2012 with Lion. How can I install ML at my other MBs that are compatible with ML? It's been mentioned before that you can have one OS X license per household unless something's changed....

yes once you get your redemption code and you down load the installer follow this guide prior to installing it, once you install the update it deletes the installer file meaning you will have to re-download the 4+GB file again to make the bootable usb needed to quickly install on your other machines

inaka

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2010
1. Download the installer.
2. Before installing on the first machine, make a bootable disc or thumb drive.
3. Then install on the first machine.
4. Use the boot disc you made of the ML OS to install on the other MBs so there's no redownloading at all.

Baytriple

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2012
1. Download the installer.
2. Before installing on the first machine, make a bootable disc or thumb drive.
3. Then install on the first machine.
4. Use the boot disc you made of the ML OS to install on the other MBs so there's no redownloading at all.

Yeah this. Google how to do it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.