PDA

View Full Version : Warcraft 3 & Radeon 9700

Jeffx342
Nov 9, 2002, 07:24 PM
I am wondering if anyone can help me,

warcraft 3 will not run on Radeon 9700
my comp spec: p4 1.7Ghz, 256 DDR memorey, 500 watt power supply

When i go play warcraft after 5 seconds it freezes and forces me to unplug my computer for the reboot. When I called the guy from Best Buy he told me I needed to have a 300Watt powersupply or more, but i do i have a 500 Watt powersupply. I took back the card thinking i could have had a malfunctioned one and exchanged it for the same one. Warcraft 3 still freezes on me and i updated the patches and everything. Can anyone help me?

(goin to buy a powerbook soon)

bousozoku
Nov 9, 2002, 08:15 PM
Have you tried it with a different video card to make certain that's the problem? (I see that you're implying that, but I need to ask.) It seems to me that video card has two power leads, but I can't see it drawing a tremendous amount of power really.

You seem to be quite low on real memory. You might try borrowing a stick from a friend to see if that helps the situation. (Be nice and return it too!) Since you're apparently using Windows, you may want to go to the System control panel and adjust virtual memory to re-build the swap file.

I've also heard that ATI has terrible video drivers for Windows. Perhaps, the revision you have just don't work well with your hardware. That's one of the reasons I don't own a Windows machine.

Macmaniac
Nov 10, 2002, 09:21 PM
Good luck, Video drivers are Terrible for PCs. My friend can't paly War3 even after he reinstalled his whole computer and he had the right drivers. Its really hit or miss with War3.
Try more RAM that might help, but if all else fails go to www.apple.com

macsuck
Nov 11, 2002, 09:26 PM
you guys don't know squat im affraid. video drviers for PCs are great its just that ATi in particular have a second rate driver team when compared to nVidia.
#1 install the latest drivers for your raddy
#2 install the latest drivers for your motherboard
#3 it is not a ram issue nor is swap file
#4 with the raddy 9700 it requires you to plug in a FDD power connector to the card have you done that?
#5 what OS?
#6 run 3dmark 2001SE and tell me what you get
#7 you shouldn't be asking this question on a mac forum

:)

ddtlm
Nov 11, 2002, 09:44 PM
Macmaniac:

Good luck, Video drivers are Terrible for PCs.
Ignorant Mac worshiping.

bousozoku:

You seem to be quite low on real memory.
256MB is fine for a PC, and certainly not a problem for Warcraft3.

I've also heard that ATI has terrible video drivers for Windows.
The situation has improved a lot since the summer even. ATI is doing pretty well these days, though not as well as nVidia has been doing for years. Actually I know six or so people who had Radeons in Windows without complaint for a year or two, so whatever.

Jeffx342:

warcraft 3 will not run on Radeon 9700 my comp spec: p4 1.7Ghz, 256 DDR memorey, 500 watt power supply
Those specs are just fine, the specs alone have nothing to do with the Warcraft problems. Get the latest video drivers and best directx, patch windows, get sound drivers. Patch things.

(goin to buy a powerbook soon)
Hopefully you don't think it will play Warcraft as well as a powerful PC like your system... cause it won't. My dual 800 G4, Radeon 8500 system is OK up to about 4 players in 10.2. Which I might add just died when I applied the 10.2.2 patch, so I may be doing a complete reinstall soon.

topicolo
Nov 11, 2002, 10:22 PM
One thing that many people overlook is overheating. That Radeon 9700 of yours runs VERY VERY hot. You need to make sure that it's getting it's supply of cool air or else it will overheat and crash your system. The same thing goes for your main processor. Try taking off the sides of your case before playing. If the game lasts for longer than 5 seconds, you probably have a cooling problem.

ddtlm
Nov 11, 2002, 10:38 PM
topicolo:

Overheating graphics cards generate visual errors... never had one crash a system. It's an output device, and can output crap all it wants without disturbing anything. Also, the P4's clock throttle so that it is very unlikely that heat can be crashing it (it cuts back when it gets hot).

macsuck
Nov 11, 2002, 10:52 PM
i have seen video card over heating cause retarts and frezzes etc.. not normally a factor when its running at stock speeds, i would check the fan to see if is running (on the video card) if not RMA it. also check to see if the extra FDD conector is pluged in that could cause the problems you are getting.

topicolo
Nov 17, 2002, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by ddtlm
topicolo:

Overheating graphics cards generate visual errors... never had one crash a system. It's an output device, and can output crap all it wants without disturbing anything. Also, the P4's clock throttle so that it is very unlikely that heat can be crashing it (it cuts back when it gets hot).

Just because you've never had it happen to you personally doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. I've had that problem with my computer before and it's well known in all pc overclocking circles.

Falleron
Nov 18, 2002, 04:41 AM
I had a PC for a while (as well as several Macs) + I had constant problems with my graphics card on the PC. It was Voodoo 3500TV, nice to watch TV on, but it was always messing up. I went through so many "Solutions", but it never worked well. I then got rid of the PC + got my Dual 1Ghz last Febuary. I am not saying all PC Graphics drivers are poor, but mine were!

benixau
Nov 18, 2002, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by macsuck

#7 you shouldn't be asking this question on a mac forum

There are plenty of pc forums out there, leave this one until you get a good computer.

ddtlm
Nov 18, 2002, 04:05 PM
benixau:

Your Mac-snobbery is obnoxious.