PDA

View Full Version : Up-To-Date Upgrade Error?

saleemyas3
Jul 25, 2012, 07:41 AM
Anyone else getting the 404 Error when trying to go through the up-to-date program?

UngratefulNinja
Jul 25, 2012, 07:41 AM
Yep me too.

BenMero
Jul 25, 2012, 07:48 AM
Same happening with the UK website

3bs
Jul 25, 2012, 07:48 AM
Anyone else getting the 404 Error when trying to go through the up-to-date program?

Same here.

afurry13
Jul 25, 2012, 07:49 AM
same here. looks like it's not active yet

StevenB14
Jul 25, 2012, 07:49 AM
Will try again later tonight. Demand will be massive.

voidpresence
Jul 25, 2012, 07:50 AM
Same here,

From RFC 2068 Hypertext Transfer Protocol -- HTTP/1.1:

10.4.5 404 Not Found

The server has not found anything matching the Request-URI. No indication is given of whether the condition is temporary or permanent.

If the server does not wish to make this information available to the client, the status code 403 (Forbidden) can be used instead. The 410 (Gone) status code SHOULD be used if the server knows, through some internally configurable mechanism, that an old resource is permanently unavailable and has no forwarding address.

SR45
Jul 25, 2012, 07:50 AM
Its now active for me. Downloading now after a few re-clicking on the download button

LegitKid
Jul 25, 2012, 07:51 AM
Yeah me too. Hopefully they will fix this problem really soon. I want to go to sleep and it sucks that the free upgrade isn't available right now.

saleemyas3
Jul 25, 2012, 07:51 AM
Same code given after the up-to-date page leaked a couple days ago. Guess someone forgot to make the server available...

philajoe
Jul 25, 2012, 07:52 AM
http://www.apple.com/osx/uptodate/

Supposedly instructions on how to get free update to Mountain Lion will appear there if you are entitled to free update for a Mac purchased after June 11,

My question is can this update also be used on an existing Mac computer purchased BEFORE June 11. In other words is it just like a regular purchase from the App Store ?:)

Glockron
Jul 25, 2012, 07:52 AM
I'm getting the same error :) It'll be up eventually

saleemyas3
Jul 25, 2012, 07:53 AM
http://www.apple.com/osx/uptodate/

Supposedly instructions on how to get free update to Mountain Lion will appear there if you are entitled to free update for a Mac purchased after June 11,

My question is can this update also be used on an existing Mac computer purchased BEFORE June 11. In other words is it just like a regular purchase from the App Store ?:)

If you purchased a mac before June 11th, you can get it for $20 in the Mac App Store.

----------

Working now

alflavor
Jul 25, 2012, 07:54 AM
Try again now - got it in UK

BenMero
Jul 25, 2012, 07:55 AM
May be a dumb question but any idea what the 'Right to copy' bit is?

saleemyas3
Jul 25, 2012, 07:56 AM
Odd, when it asked you what type of Computer, there was no Macbook Air option. I just selected Macbook

comatose81
Link is working now, but the form is broken and won't let you click "Continue".

hellomoto4
Now live here in Australia as well, awaiting email reply.

saleemyas3
May be a dumb question but any idea what the 'Right to copy' bit is?

For enterprises and schools who need multiple copies

sevimli
My code doesn't work at all...
:confused::confused:
It is not the reference number but the code in password protected PDF file.

AABxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

BenMero
Jul 25, 2012, 07:57 AM
For enterprises and schools who need multiple copies

Sooooo I don't tick the box?

applefan022
Jul 25, 2012, 07:58 AM
Claim finally sent, now awaiting for the email. Hope its not to long....

saleemyas3
Jul 25, 2012, 07:58 AM
Sooooo I don't tick the box?

Nope.

maflynn
Jul 25, 2012, 07:59 AM
It seems to be functioning (for me), I was able to submit my up to date application.

bugout
Jul 25, 2012, 08:00 AM
My code doesn't work in the app store :(

alflavor
Jul 25, 2012, 08:01 AM
It needed my receipt even though I bought from apple online store - anyway it all went through and they will email 'once validated'

StevenB14
Jul 25, 2012, 08:01 AM
Tried again just after I posted and it worked. Claim is submitted and waiting for the email to arrive.

LegitKid
Jul 25, 2012, 08:02 AM
Hopefully the e-mail won't take so long

StevenB14
It needed my receipt even though I bought from apple online store - anyway it all went through and they will email 'once validated'

Never asked for my receipt and I bought it online. Just asked for the serial number.

Tar Sniffer
Grrr, I've entered my serial code but it won't go to step 3!

Glockron
Jul 25, 2012, 08:03 AM
Weird... I'm on a MacBook Air - but there's no option for that, so I just went with "MacBook".

Is anyone else having the same problem?

saleemyas3
Jul 25, 2012, 08:03 AM
Weird... I'm on a MacBook Air - but there's no option for that, so I just went with "MacBook".

Yep, i just went with Macbook

BenMero
Jul 25, 2012, 08:04 AM
Sorted. I didn't even need any proof of purchase like a receipt or something, is that because i bought online?

LegitKid
Jul 25, 2012, 08:05 AM
This is what I read for the terms and conditions for the free upgrade:

Upon receipt of your completed order form and proof of purchase, a content code for OS X Mountain Lion, redeemable on the Mac App Store, will be emailed within 24 hours of order qualification.

Well that sucks if it's true

saleemyas3
Jul 25, 2012, 08:05 AM

Upon receipt of your completed order form and proof of purchase, a content code for OS X Mountain Lion, redeemable on the Mac App Store, will be emailed within 24 hours of order qualification.

keyword: within.

hellomoto4
Jul 25, 2012, 08:06 AM
If anyone receives their codes, please let us know how long it took :)

applefan022
Jul 25, 2012, 08:08 AM
I think it's came to a screeching halt on the claim codes...

BenMero
I got my code instantly however it says its already been used...

LegitKid
Well I think I should go to sleep now and I should be getting an e-mail from Apple when I wake up. At least I sent my claim early. Better early than doing it later.

aristobrat

Right? Ugh. I'm pretty impatient. If the code doesn't show up in the next half-hour, I'm probably just going to buy the dang thing. :D

Sound214
Jul 25, 2012, 08:09 AM
My code doesn't work in the app store :(

Mine neither...

visualise-this
Jul 25, 2012, 08:09 AM
Got my code instantly but it still doesn't work in the App Store.

sevimli
Jul 25, 2012, 08:11 AM
If anyone receives their codes, please let us know how long it took :)

I received my code yesterday when the up-to-date site went online shortly.

But the code I received won't work, AppStore says it is not valid... :o

3bs
Jul 25, 2012, 08:11 AM

Yep, i just went with Macbook

Me too. I'm going to try picking MacBook.

Edit: sumbitted and waiting for an email. Were your MBA's built to order as well? Mine was a BTO 11" from an official Apple Reseller.

applefan022
Jul 25, 2012, 08:12 AM

Were you using your claim code in the app store

afurry13
Jul 25, 2012, 08:14 AM
did it about 15 minutes ago and still no code.... i have a feeling the mac is coming with me to work today.

saleemyas3

Edit: sumbitted and waiting for an email. Were your MBA's built to order as well? Mine was a BTO 11" from an official Apple Reseller.

Mine is technically the base 13", but I added the ethernet adapter so it was "BTO" and took a week to arrive

OziMac
I got my code instantly however it says its already been used...

Me too. What the hell?

Coffee87
Jul 25, 2012, 08:15 AM
Got two codes for both of my rMBP. MAS says they have both been redeemed already though... :confused:

3bs
Mine is technically the base 13", but I added the ethernet adapter so it was "BTO" and took a week to arrive

It's just really strange that they left out the MBA from the list of Macs.

aristobrat
You're not trying to enter the code from this screen, are you? It's just a reference number.

Glockron
Jul 25, 2012, 08:16 AM

Yep - mine's a BTO 13" 128/i5/8 :) Got it through a reseller, not directly from Apple

About the problem a lot of people are having with the codes - the one you are given instantly ISN'T your ML code, it's just the reference number of your request...

Dr Charter
I tried to use my code and the App store said it has already been used. Did anyone else have that problem?

BenMero
Ozi and Coffee, are you both in the UK? Apparently its not working yet over here (Error 100) .. Glad I'm not the only one who's its saying its already been used though!

saleemyas3
Jul 25, 2012, 08:17 AM
This should've just been an automated process. Have the serial numbers as the promo code, thats it.

Nitrile
Jul 25, 2012, 08:17 AM
it says that my code has already been used! bummer!

Coffee87
Jul 25, 2012, 08:18 AM
Ozi and Coffee, are you both in the UK? Apparently its not working yet over here (Error 100) .. Glad I'm not the only one who's its saying its already been used though!

Nope, I'm in the US. I'm chalking it up to being really early in the day and will keep trying. I'm not frustrated yet. :)

Dr Charter
Jul 25, 2012, 08:18 AM
it says that my code has already been used! bummer!

Me too. What is the deal and what do we do now?

visualise-this
Jul 25, 2012, 08:19 AM
Were you using your claim code in the app store

Of course!

timROGERS
Jul 25, 2012, 08:19 AM
It's completely ridiculous that the MacBook Air isn't in the list, at least on the UK one. Is there any kind of quality control on this stuff at all?

It's also a bit crazy that this seems to be at the very least a semi-manual process...why can't we have our codes instantly?

OziMac
Jul 25, 2012, 08:20 AM

No, in AU. Got the email with the PDF another with the password instantly, but the code isn't being accepted by the App Store.

This should've just been an automated process. Have the serial numbers as the promo code, thats it.

I don't seem to recall having these issues last year - I recall entering a credit card (for what reason, who knows?) and then being emailed the content code as a simple iTunes receipt. This new process is all sorts of weird.

sevimli
Jul 25, 2012, 08:20 AM
It's completely ridiculous that the MacBook Air isn't in the list, at least on the UK one. Is there any kind of quality control on this stuff at all?

It's also a bit crazy that this seems to be at the very least a semi-manual process...why can't we have our codes instantly?

pro, air etc they all are one class: Macbook.

LegitKid
Jul 25, 2012, 08:21 AM
I think the people that are getting the codes instantly are talking about the claim reference number.

aristobrat
Jul 25, 2012, 08:21 AM
For the folks with codes that are already used, ...

Did you guys submit your form this morning, and receive an email containing the code this morning?

Nitrile
Jul 25, 2012, 08:22 AM

non-pro macbooks are all under the macbook line.

i received my code instantly, but it doesn't work on the app store.

saleemyas3

exactly. Just make all of the Serial Numbers as promo codes and thats how you upgrade. Stupid process

Dr Charter

Did you guys submit your form this morning, and receive an email containing the code this morning?

Yes

intervenient
Jul 25, 2012, 08:23 AM

Yes.

Coffee87
Jul 25, 2012, 08:24 AM

Yep. Filled out the form and within seconds got two emails. One has a PDF with the codes in it and the other has a password to open the PDF. I'm definitely NOT using the reference number as the activation code.

Nitrile
Jul 25, 2012, 08:24 AM
I think the people that are getting the codes instantly are talking about the claim reference number.

erm, no.

Dear Apple Customer,

Thank you for participating in the OS X Mountain Lion Up-To-Date program. The content code that allows you to download and install OS X Mountain Lion from the Mac App Store is in the file attached below. You will receive the password to unlock the attached files in a separate email. Your content code may be redeemed immediately through the Mac App Store and will not expire.

Please follow these steps to redeem your copy of OS X Mountain Lion:

Open the Mac App Store application.
Select “Redeem” in the Quick Links section of the Mac App Store.
Enter your content code.

In a separate email:

Dear Apple Customer,

Thank you for participating in the OS X Mountain Lion Up-To-Date program. Here is the password you need to open the OS X Mountain Lion content code file we sent you in a separate email to download OS X Mountain Lion from the Mac App Store.

Your password to open the content code file is: sdf34234523423423dfssdfsdfsdfsdffsdfsdfsf

B6DWAL
Jul 25, 2012, 08:25 AM
Received my code almost instantly however need to wait for it be active in the MAS.

carpetoday
Jul 25, 2012, 08:26 AM
I called Apple today about this and they said it can take up to 2 days to receive the code!

Major letdown :(

aristobrat
Yep. Filled out the form and within seconds got two emails. One has a PDF with the codes in it and the other has a password to open the PDF. I'm definitely NOT using the reference number as the activation code.
Screw it then. I'm paying to download it and will give the activation code, should it ever come and actually work, to a family member. :)

OziMac

Just to be clear - no.

The claim reference number was generated on the application page.

Then you receive an email with redemption instructions and a password protected PDF containing the code.

Then you receive another email with the password for the PDF.

The unlocked PDF provides a code which you then enter in the 'Redeem' section of the Mac App Store.

It seems for those of us who have gotten this far that we are all getting the following error for our supposedly fresh, unique codes "This code has already been used. Each code may only be used once."

That's a bit of a problem!

LegitKid
Jul 25, 2012, 08:28 AM
Just to be clear - no.

The claim reference number was generated on the application page.

Then you receive an email with redemption instructions and a password protected PDF containing the code.

Then you receive another email with the password for the PDF.

The unlocked PDF provides a code which you then enter in the 'Redeem' section of the Mac App Store.

It seems for those of us who have gotten this far that we are all getting the following error for our supposedly fresh, unique codes "This code has already been used. Each code may only be used once."

That's a bit of a problem!

Oh well hopefully when I get my e-mail they will fix this code problem.

incriminati
Jul 25, 2012, 08:28 AM
^Yeah.

At least Safari 6 is out.

applefan022
Jul 25, 2012, 08:29 AM
2 days? This is why they should of left the up to date program up when it came up 2 days ago.... Maybe by now we would have our codes. lol

bigeuan
Jul 25, 2012, 08:33 AM

I am entering the code received in the password protected pdf only to be met with the "already been used" error like a few others.

Greg M
Jul 25, 2012, 08:36 AM
Guess I'll just have to buy it and try to get reimbursed at a latter date.

3bs
Jul 25, 2012, 08:37 AM
Got my code in the email but it says "The code you entered is not recognised as a valid code"

Edit: it could be because I picked MacBook when I was supposed to pick MacBook Air.

OziMac
Jul 25, 2012, 08:40 AM
On the other thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=15320659&postcount=12), a fellow MR has found out this much from Apple:

UPDATE: I typed that while on the phone with Apple Support. The guy claims "these codes were sent in error and you should receive a new code within 30min". Not sure if he's just trying to ditch me or if this is true but so far I've got nothing.

So that's something. Fingers crossed (well, we know they'll work it out somehow, this is really just an early adopter problem - still, not a good constituency to annoy).

LegitKid
Jul 25, 2012, 08:41 AM
Well might as well download safari 6 before I go to sleep

jlevi
Jul 25, 2012, 08:42 AM
On the other thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=15320659&postcount=12), a fellow MR has found out this much from Apple:

So that's something. Fingers crossed (well, we know they'll work it out somehow, this is really just an early adopter problem - still, not a good constituency to annoy).

Talk about a big flub-up. Very un-apple. Should have been a much more seamless process, and should have worked properly...

Kal~El
Jul 25, 2012, 08:59 AM

Yes

andrewgarn
Jul 25, 2012, 09:14 AM
Apple's reply to my support email about my already used code

I'm sorry to hear that, on redeeming the initial upgrade code you received, you were unable to proceed because an error indicated the code was invalid or had already been used. If your claim is accepted, a valid replacement code will be sent to you by email. There will be no need to submit a new claim. I apologize for any inconvenience in this regard.

Please let me know if you do not receive a replacement code within 5-7 business days, as I'll be happy to look into things further for you.

harry20larry
Jul 25, 2012, 09:27 AM
I have applied and got my reference number, but still no emails after 2 hours. Not even the first one.

How long has it been taking for all of you guys

aDRock1154
Jul 25, 2012, 09:29 AM
I have applied and got my reference number, but still no emails after 2 hours. Not even the first one.

How long has it been taking for all of you guys

It's been 1 hour and 30 min for me. I still have no emails.

Pacwell
Jul 25, 2012, 09:36 AM
Well I received my code AFTER it went live and still getting the error that the code had been used.

What a hassle.

intervenient
Jul 25, 2012, 09:50 AM
Another in the latest of screw ups of Apple. What a piece of **** process.

Puevlo
Jul 25, 2012, 09:51 AM
lol Apple. "It just works."

slumpey326
Jul 25, 2012, 09:58 AM
oh the horror, the horror........

MassiveAttack
Jul 25, 2012, 10:06 AM
Download and install complete without any problems. Now to learn all the new stuff. =)

3bs
Jul 25, 2012, 10:40 AM
What if I submitted my claim and picked MacBook because there was no option for MacBook Air. There is one now but I can't use the same serial number again. Still haven't gotten another code in the mail yet.

eklof
Jul 25, 2012, 11:02 AM
What if I submitted my claim and picked MacBook because there was no option for MacBook Air. There is one now but I can't use the same serial number again. Still haven't gotten another code in the mail yet.

Same here. Even called my local apple "support". They can't do anything. Could take up to 72 hours to process the claim. Great support.

That's what spending 1200 dollars of hardware gets you. Getting the new OS after everyone in the world :)

Filed the claim yesterday....

Seriously. Check the serial online on the web, print the redeem code. Why the **** does it not work like that?

hellomoto4
Jul 25, 2012, 11:04 AM

Apparently you'll be okay (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=15322841#post15322841).

3bs
Jul 25, 2012, 11:05 AM
Same here. Even called my local apple "support". They can't do anything. Could take up to 72 hours to process the claim. Great support.

That's what spending 1200 dollars of hardware gets you. Getting the new OS after everyone in the world :)

Filed the claim yesterday....

I spent a lot more than that on mine. Do you think we'll have to wait or contact them?

----------

Apparently you'll be okay (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=15322841#post15322841).

Ok thanks

eklof
Jul 25, 2012, 11:08 AM
[QUOTE=3bs;15322941]I spent a lot more than that on mine. Do you think we'll have to wait or contact them?

----------

Try to contact them, but apperantly they can't do ****. Just wait, or spend 19 dollars anyway. I thought about that, but I'm reluctant to award this stupid process with a new paying copy.

afurry13
Jul 25, 2012, 11:08 AM
Honestly, it's things like this that I can see why piracy is such a big problem. However, is it really piracy if I am entitled to the product?

borisiii
Jul 25, 2012, 11:20 AM
Submitted mine more than three hours ago and still no emails/codes, while a friend did his shortly after mine and got a (working) code ten minutes later.

This really is a ****** up launch – no reason why they couldn't have opened the up to date application process weeks ago.

The people who buy the latest computers days after they are released are likely to be some of Apple's most loyal customers – those who rush to download the new OS the moment it is released, so you would think they would have thought this process through to avoid screwing them around and keeping them waiting. Disappointing!

LegitKid
Jul 25, 2012, 03:25 PM
So I just woke up and still no code :( I guess my email might come later in the night or even tomorrow

alflavor
Jul 26, 2012, 12:47 AM
18 hours now and still no code...

xsdeus
Jul 26, 2012, 01:04 AM
It's been about 16 hours now since I've filed a claim.