Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whoiare

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2011
Just as the title says. Im running snow leopard on my 2010 mac mini 8gb ram with the core 2 duo. Ive held off on lion but now with ML im curious. However i have read that some of the airplay mirroring features wont work. Any one have any thoughts on if its worth it?

iPhisch

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
Indiana
Safari on my Mountain Lion 2010 Mac mini at the time of install was completely useless for me. Every time I click on more than 3 websites, the entire program hangs up, beach ball comes out and the app starts eating RAM like crazy. Like gigs of ram, and I have to force quit. The processor also maxes out. I upgraded this morning from Lion using Splashtop remote desktop on my iPhone, then went home for lunch to try it out. Not sure what to do next. I repaired permissions and verified the disk for fun, no help. Example: I opened safari, clicked on macrumors favorite, clicked on Forum, program is toast, using almost 4gb of RAM before I force quitted. (I'm back at work now typing this).

(I'm hoping that this is just an issue with Mountain Lion Spotlight indexing my data, we'll see this evening when I get home).

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
I'm putting it on my 2008 aluminium macbook :)

Apparently it runs fine! Might report back with results! Depends how long It'll take to install :eek:

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
For AirPlay use AirParrot and you'll be fine.

the performance on my 2009 Mini is superb. On par with Snow Leopard.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
I'll be installing it tonight on my early 2009 MacMini. I'll report back once it's completed.

Likewise, Early 2009 mini w/ 4GB and a 500GB drive. I completely skipped Lion, so this should be interesting.

FWIW, I'll be installing it first on a cloned FW drive, just in case...

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
Likewise, Early 2009 mini w/ 4GB and a 500GB drive. I completely skipped Lion, so this should be interesting.

FWIW, I'll be installing it first on a cloned FW drive, just in case...

Nice. Early 2009 with 8GBs ram and 64GBs SSD drive here. I'm backing up and just installing on the main drive.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Just as the title says. Im running snow leopard on my 2010 mac mini 8gb ram with the core 2 duo. Ive held off on lion but now with ML im curious.
I've been running Mountain Lion for the past hour or so on my 2GHz Early 2009 Mac mini (Macmini3,1) on an external 500GB/5400rpm/FW800 hard drive.

Initial impressions are that it runs great. Once Spotlight caught up on the external drive, it seems to be running as fast as it ever did with Leopard or Snow Leopard (I skipped Lion).

However i have read that some of the airplay mirroring features wont work. Any one have any thoughts on if its worth it?
Sadly, there is no Airplay Mirroring on the menu bar for our older minis. Not without some sort of clever hack or a third party solution. I don't know if that's a deficiency of the 9400M video or something else, but I've been able to stream HD video from iTunes to my 2nd Gen :apple:TV since Snow Leopard (and still can under Mountain Lion).

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
airplay ≠ airplay mirroring

That being said, there is more to mountain lion than airplay mirroring. The only biggie you will be giving up is Roestta support and $20.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.