PDA

View Full Version : Up to date validation-- How long?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Dragoro
Jul 25, 2012, 08:00 AM
Anyone know how long it takes for them to validate that you are eligible for the up to date program?

jaybbb
Jul 25, 2012, 08:01 AM
Just submitted my claim, will see how it goes ...

Tom2893
not sure I've just submitted mine.. hopefully within minutes!

NotAdvisable
Same question here...
It's complete bullish*t that I have to wait even longer for ML. If I bought the Mac at a Apple Retail Store, the claim should be automatic.
Bet's on it will be several days before we get our download codes.

voidpresence
Jul 25, 2012, 08:02 AM
i just submitted mine too...i have 1 hour before i need to go, so hopefully it gets authorized before then

Dragoro
Jul 25, 2012, 08:11 AM
Almost tempted to just buy it so I don't have to wait.....

Tom2893
Jul 25, 2012, 08:15 AM

thats just stupid when you can get it for free. whats like an hour going to do its not like you desperately need to use iMessage/mirroring/dictation right this minute or stare at the slightly new graphics

3bs
Jul 25, 2012, 08:16 AM

Wait. I already have the GM installed and it's nothing that's gonna make your jaw drop.

Edit: took about 10 mins to get my code sent.

vanc
Jul 25, 2012, 08:19 AM
Validation took less than ONE minute for me. I received the email with the redemption code in a password protected PDF. Password came in a different email.

NotAdvisable
Jul 25, 2012, 08:32 AM
Validation took less than ONE minute for me. I received the email with the redemption code in a password protected PDF. Password came in a different email.

Lucky you :P

voidpresence
Jul 25, 2012, 08:34 AM

i submitted my request at 9 (eastern), still haven't gotten anything :(

urkel
Jul 25, 2012, 08:36 AM
6AM submitted. Got instant response with code that didnt work. Great.

UMJD2002
Jul 25, 2012, 08:37 AM
i submitted my request at 9 (eastern), still haven't gotten anything :(

Same here. Going on over 30 minutes. There wasn't an option for Macbook Air for me. Thus, I chose Macbook. Hope that didn't cause a problem.

3bs
Jul 25, 2012, 08:38 AM
There wasn't an option for Macbook Air for me. Thus, I chose Macbook. Hope that didn't cause a problem.

Yeah me too but I got the code in like 10 minutes but I get an error in the MAS "The code you entered is not recognised as a valid code" when I try to redeem it. I don't know if it's because I chose MacBook or some other reason.

mklnz
Jul 25, 2012, 08:39 AM
Redeemed about 30 minutes ago, rMBP purchased on the 11th. Still no email yet :(

jincheker
Jul 25, 2012, 08:42 AM
looks like lots of people submitted their form at around 9:00 eastern time.

Me too.

And still waiting for the code

weely2k
Jul 25, 2012, 08:45 AM
I had to wait about 30 Minutes to get the Code, but when i enter it it's said that the Code is already in use... Strange :(

applefan022
Jul 25, 2012, 08:46 AM
The impatient side of me just kicked in went ahead and just bought ML. Halfway done. Will probably give the code to my GF for her MBP.

amberashby
Jul 25, 2012, 08:46 AM
Still waiting for mine. Been 30 minutes so far.

You would think Apple could modify their validation system to automatically send the code if your serial number is for a rMBP. All of them automatically qualify.

I'm impatient. Just like a child.

chacolo
Jul 25, 2012, 08:47 AM
1 hour and nothing.
Grrrrrr ;)

jlevi
Jul 25, 2012, 08:49 AM
I had to wait about 30 Minutes to get the Code, but when i enter it it's said that the Code is already in use... Strange :(

Ditto. Apple screwed the pooch on this one, this is not how their product launches are supposed to go. All to keep you from getting a $20 operating system for free accidentally...

amberashby
Jul 25, 2012, 08:49 AM
Still waiting for mine. Been 30 minutes so far.

You would think Apple could modify their validation system to automatically send the code if your serial number is for a rMBP. All of them automatically qualify.

I'm impatient. Just like a child.

Just got it! Took just over 30 minutes.

jlevi
Jul 25, 2012, 08:57 AM
Just got it! Took just over 30 minutes.

Yes... but does it work? :rolleyes:

willvbcfc
Jul 25, 2012, 08:59 AM
Been an hour for me. Nothing.

How difficult is it to validate my details, really?

Tom2893
Jul 25, 2012, 09:09 AM
1 hour 10 minutes. no email.. sigh

pruppert
Jul 25, 2012, 09:11 AM
I am irrationally impatient when it comes to this stuff.

I just got tired of waiting and bought it. I'm just going to ask the iTunes store to refund my $20 tomorrow after things have died down.

Puevlo
Jul 25, 2012, 09:14 AM
The impatient side of me just kicked in went ahead and just bought ML. Halfway done. Will probably give the code to my GF for her MBP.

Very romantic gift.

Tom2893
Jul 25, 2012, 09:14 AM
Very romantic gift.

hahaha

comatose81
Jul 25, 2012, 09:16 AM
Been over 90 minutes for me. Still nothing.

willvbcfc
Jul 25, 2012, 09:19 AM
Is there any technical reason why someone who pressed the button at the same time as me received it within 1 minute - and I'm sitting here 80 minutes later with nothing?

:confused:

PVisitors
Such a ridiculous system. Can anybody explain to me why I should have to scan a proof of purchase when bought online via their online store.

Surely they could just make it automated if bought direct from Apple. Log in using your Apple ID/Password, provide your serial number and maybe the order number and then let the servers scan for this and see if it all matches and give you the code straight away.

Stupid. Hope I can get it by today. I'm tempted to just use my £70 voucher to get it free from the App store anyway using that credit. I need to do it for my iMac, but I'm holding out hope that I can use my free MBPR upgrade program on more than one mac.

Edit: What are the 'claim numbers' we were told to record and save for a later date even for? I can't see anywhere a place to enter to try track progress or anything; I didn't even get a confirmation email, is that normal?

aDRock1154
1 hour and 20 min. Still nothing :(

comatose81
Jul 25, 2012, 09:20 AM
Such a ridiculous system. Can anybody explain to me why I should have to scan a proof of purchase when bought online via their online store.

Surely they could just make it automated if bought direct from Apple. Log in using your Apple ID/Password, provide your serial number and maybe the order number and then let the servers scan for this and see if it all matches and give you the code straight away.

Stupid. Hope I can get it by today.

Wait, you had to scan a proof of purchase? It never asked me to do anything like that and I purchased in the online store.

carpetoday
Jul 25, 2012, 09:21 AM
I called Apple right away after not receiving the email within 10 minutes. The rep said it can take up to 2 days. Really hoping this isn't the case. That would be an epic fail.

PVisitors
Jul 25, 2012, 09:22 AM
Wait, you had to scan a proof of purchase? It never asked me to do anything like that and I purchased in the online store.

Yup, UK site could be different.

Edit: Or to do with the fact my serial number isn't coming up when I check the 'service and coverage' section. Sent an e-mail to Apple over this as I ordered on the 15th June with my MBPR being shipped on the 12th July. I'd hope their systems have put my S/N in the database by now.

I'd imagine that is the case considering it can't recognise the S/N. *sigh*.

NotAdvisable
Jul 25, 2012, 09:27 AM
I called Apple right away after not receiving the email within 10 minutes. The rep said it can take up to 2 days. Really hoping this isn't the case. That would be an epic fail.

I'll quite possibly be quite unhappy if this is the case...

willvbcfc
Jul 25, 2012, 09:32 AM
Just been on the phone to support at Apple.

To cut a long story short, they don't have a clue if you've made a claim.

They just tell you to wait and when I asked why some people get theirs in 30 seconds and others might have to wait 30 hours, the man said "it's just a bit of an erratic system".

Mmm. Say that again.

jincheker
Jul 25, 2012, 09:36 AM
1 hour and a half here. Nothing happend. My loins burning out:(:(

looks like lots of people submitted their form at around 9:00 eastern time.

Me too.

And still waiting for the code

slumpey326
Jul 25, 2012, 09:38 AM
still waiting also, ordered like 1 1/2 hrs ago.

Arel954
Jul 25, 2012, 09:41 AM
also waiting for an email, i filled in my claim around 9:00am eastern time as well

Urban Spaceman
Jul 25, 2012, 09:46 AM
Filled-out the "Up To Date" form, and submitted it; both emails (pdf and passcode) arrived within five minutes! :p

...but the code I received "has already been used". :mad:

I don't know what's worse; waiting for the original code, or waiting for a replacement code. Time to start praying to The Ghost of Jobs. Which direction is Cupertino from here? I need to point my :apple:-embossed preyer-mat towards it...

AfzalivE
Jul 25, 2012, 09:47 AM
Steve Jobs is turning over in his grave because of this fiasco.

drewyboy
Jul 25, 2012, 09:49 AM
must say, i'm a little displeased about this. My MBP is freak'n registered w/ you apple. Is it that hard to say, login w/ your apple ID and select which registered product qualifies, heck, you should just say, Hey Drew, we notice you've got one qualifying computer, is that the one you want to submit? Me: Yes. Apple's website: Ok, here's the code. We already are offering you a year of repair and support so here's your measly free upgrade code.
BOOM! DONE!

----------

Filled-out the "Up To Date" form, and submitted it; both emails (pdf and passcode) arrived within five minutes! :p

...but the code I received "has already been used". :mad:

I don't know what's worse; waiting for the original code, or waiting for a replacement code. Time to start praying to The Ghost of Jobs. Which direction is Cupertino from here? I need to point my :apple:-embossed preyer-mat towards it...

Get it right... it's called your iMat.

PVisitors
Jul 25, 2012, 09:51 AM
And you can actually submit multiple entries. I re-submitted using the exact same details and S/N and it let me do it again. Very odd system.

willvbcfc
Jul 25, 2012, 10:00 AM
And you can actually submit multiple entries. I re-submitted using the exact same details and S/N and it let me do it again. Very odd system.

Won't allow me to do that - says my S/N has been used for a claim.

carpetoday
Jul 25, 2012, 10:04 AM
Won't allow me to do that - says my S/N has been used for a claim.

Same here...

macbookman83
Jul 25, 2012, 10:07 AM
I made my purchase at Macmall on July 3rd. Did my up to date info at about 10am but haven't received any emails........

Anyone purchase their Mac from somewhere other than the Apple Store and received their code????

xxhatchxx
Jul 25, 2012, 10:09 AM
What I don't understand is that if the software is going to be free anyways why doesnt apple simply use the built in software update panel to update all the retina macbook pro's and all the mid 2012 macbook's with the correct model number, since they were released on or after the required date for a free code. Just saying that would be a lot simpler and easier for all of us.

borisiii
Jul 25, 2012, 10:13 AM
Applied for mine 2 hours 10 mins ago and nothing...

A friend applied for his 10 minutes after me and got his 10 minutes later...

Pretty annoyed since my plan was to start the download and leave it running while I was out. Can't do that now... Absolutely no reason why they couldn't have started up to date applications a month ago. If I don't get it by this evening I'm going to download it and pay for it, then get them to refund it. Seems like a pretty badly mismanaged launch.

maxorific1
Jul 25, 2012, 10:15 AM
Submitted mine yesterday around like noon i think. Still nothing. But I don't get all this PDF stuff you guys had to do? I just summated my info and serial number. And at the end they gave me a reference number to write down but I didn't.. I really hope I get an email soon from them.

afurry13
Jul 25, 2012, 10:20 AM
I've submitted this thing like 6 times now and have gotten 1 email that when typed in to the app store says "it's already been used." This is garbage.

edtwodth
Jul 25, 2012, 10:27 AM
2.5 hour and still no redeem code ... :(

goomba478
Jul 25, 2012, 10:28 AM
Like a lot of you guys, I submitted the form with my serial number and didn't see a "MacBook Air" option on the list, so I selected "MacBook". Apparently this causes a problem because when I received the PDF and password for said PDF file, I was given a redemption code. When entering this code in the App Store I am given the message "This code has already been used. Each code may only be used once". Talk about frustrating. Hopefully Apple will resolve this quickly. Do you need to contact customer support in order to get a new code? Anyone know?

xxhatchxx
Jul 25, 2012, 10:31 AM
Like this post if you wish you could be using airplay to watch your movies as you wait for the email...

Vctr
Jul 25, 2012, 10:32 AM
Like this post if you wish you could be using airplay to watch your movies as you wait for the email...

Huh? This isn't youtube.

deannnnn
Jul 25, 2012, 10:34 AM
I found it strange that it asked for "E-Mail ID." Wtf is an e-mail ID? Is that my Apple ID or my e-mail address because they are different! I put in my e-mail address, but now I'm thinking that wasn't the best idea.

Submitted at about 11:25am Eastern. The wait begins...

stuaz
Jul 25, 2012, 10:34 AM
I have been able to submit my claim twice :confused:

goomba478
Jul 25, 2012, 10:39 AM
I'm supposed to get a call from them at 11:45. Hopefully they'll have some idea what's going on and offer a solution. I'll let you know what they say :). Wish me luck!

afurry13
Jul 25, 2012, 10:42 AM
I'm supposed to get a call from them at 11:45. Hopefully they'll have some idea what's going on and offer a solution. I'll let you know what they say :). Wish me luck!

Yes, maybe they have some new information. Hopefully good news!

NotAdvisable
Jul 25, 2012, 10:53 AM
Just quietly... this is one of many things that would never happen when Steve Jobs was alive and well.

igneousc
Jul 25, 2012, 10:54 AM
This should be automatically recognized for retina macbooks at least. We are all eligible

willvbcfc
Jul 25, 2012, 10:55 AM
This is getting really tiresome.

3 hours and counting flicking up my dock to see if I have a bleedin' email.

My thought now is - if it hasn't happened already, it's probably not going to happen any time soon.

Apple, you have failed me.

Lvivske
Jul 25, 2012, 10:56 AM
Submitted YESTERDAY

Still no email....WTF

goomba478
Jul 25, 2012, 10:57 AM
Hey guys, as promised I'm updating what Apple said. I just got a call and they told me:

1) They're aware of the problem and are sending new codes out to anyone receiving the "Already Been Used" code error. As long as you submitted a valid serial number on their form, you should receive a new code by Email.

2) The codes could take 24-48 hours to be sent but they assured me they are doing everything in their power to have the codes sent out today. If 48 hours pass and you don't receive your new code, feel free to contact them again.

3) Choosing "Macbook" if you have a MacBook Air is perfectly OK as well as long as your serial number is correct.

That being said, I'll just spend this downtime waiting for the new code doing a complete backup with CCC and Time Machine (and recommend you guys do the same). Best of luck =) Can't wait to play with Mountain Lion!

avalys
Jul 25, 2012, 10:58 AM
All you guys freaking out because you have to wait a few extra hours to get your free copy of Mountain Lion is the real WTF in this thread.

Aldaris
Jul 25, 2012, 11:00 AM

They should have had the up to date program launched 2 days earlier then the release in that case.

NotAdvisable
Jul 25, 2012, 11:00 AM
Hey guys, as promised I'm updating what Apple said. I just got a call and they told me:

1) They're aware of the problem and are sending new codes out to anyone receiving the "Already Been Used" code error. As long as you submitted a valid serial number on their form, you should receive a new code by Email.

2) The codes could take 24-48 hours to be sent but they assured me they are doing everything in their power to have the codes sent out today. If 48 hours pass and you don't receive your new code, feel free to contact them again.

3) Choosing "Macbook" if you have a MacBook Air is perfectly OK as well as long as your serial number is correct.

That being said, I'll just spend this downtime waiting for the new code doing a complete backup with CCC and Time Machine (and recommend you guys do the same). Best of luck =) Can't wait to play with Mountain Lion!

Thanks bro for the update - it sucks about this waiting game though, 48 hours is not good enough by Apple standards.

All you guys freaking out because you have to wait a few extra hours to get your free copy of Mountain Lion is the real WTF in this thread.

Yes, yes we are. It's completely unacceptable that we buy Apple hardware being promised a free upgrade to the next version of Mac OS, when we will have to wait up to two or three days greater than someone who might of bought their Mac several years ago.

Nitrile
Jul 25, 2012, 11:01 AM

its not about waiting a few hours.

stuff like this is supposed to work from the get-go.

willvbcfc

Nah, the stupid way we have to wait hours on end to get our free copy of Mountain Lion is the real WTF in this thread. There's absolutely no reason why it shouldn't be instant - especially for rMBP owners like myself as everyone says - WE'RE ALL ELIGIBLE BY DEFAULT!

afurry13

Ya, being upset for not getting what we were promised, when we were promised it is just ridiculous isn't it?

I'm tempted to just buy it...

oyebto
Jul 25, 2012, 11:03 AM
the blank on email ID is just our personal email right, not the apple id?

hellomoto4
Jul 25, 2012, 11:03 AM

Are you really that impatient to call after 10 minutes?

cooknwitha
Jul 25, 2012, 11:04 AM

Agreed. As are claims Steve Jobs would be turning in his grave or such a problem wouldn't have happened if he were still alive. :rolleyes:

afurry13
Jul 25, 2012, 11:06 AM

How do they know which codes are invalid? Will they just send all of them out again?

iPusch
Jul 25, 2012, 11:10 AM
I am so happy to have you guys, so I don't feel that I am the only one with that prob, I don't really worry about that cause if they are to stupid for that I will go to the Apple Retail Store and they hopefully gna fix that and put ML on my MBP :apple:

kisbys
Jul 25, 2012, 11:13 AM
have you guys even got an email acknowledging that you submitted a claim?? my claim number went off screen and I now have nothing?!!!

Lvivske
Jul 25, 2012, 11:13 AM

a day is not a "few" hours

----------

have you guys even got an email acknowledging that you submitted a claim?? my claim number went off screen and I now have nothing?!!!

I printed my confirmation, but got no email backup of it; thank god i printed

afurry13
Jul 25, 2012, 11:14 AM
Some people on 9to5mac have reported receiving replacement codes. Crossing fingers that we'll start seeing them soon!

Richdmoore
For the last Up to date program, I waited a few days after submitting proof without success, then I called AppleCare and they sent me the code in about hour. A week later I received another code from the documents I submitted, I passed that along to my dad.

bioyuki

Seriously, this is the biggest POS system I've seen in a while considering Apple has all of my information already. I didn't even get a confirmation email that my claim was submitted either.

carpetoday
Are you really that impatient to call after 10 minutes?

Monday, Macrumors cited in a post that users were receiving the verification code instantly.

I ordered my rMBP through the sales team over the phone. Because that was not an option on the form I thought this could of tripped things up.

Given that I spent 3500 on a machine that I have been waiting for the past week and half to really use I think my "impatience" is warranted.

bioyuki
Jul 25, 2012, 11:16 AM

I almost did the same thing as you, thank god I left the tab open. What POS service doesn't even send you a confirmation email these days?

cooknwitha
a day is not a "few" hours

ML has been up for less than 3 hours. That's a few hours in my book.

NotAdvisable
Monday, Macrumors cited in a post that users were receiving the verification code instantly.

I ordered my rMBP through the sales team over the phone. Because that was not an option on the form I thought this could of tripped things up.

Given that I spent 3500 on a machine that I have been waiting for the past week and half to really use I think my "impatience" is warranted.

Thank you for having the balls to post this. +1

Lvivske
Jul 25, 2012, 11:21 AM
ML has been up for less than 3 hours. That's a few hours in my book.

form was working yesterday, and people were getting codes then. it's been a day.

voidpresence
Jul 25, 2012, 11:23 AM
submitted my request at 9 am estern, 3.5 hours later, still nothing :(

hellomoto4
Jul 25, 2012, 11:23 AM

I too spent similar on my rMBP, and hell, I've waited 5 or so months for ML, what's another 24 hours?

Related, have you ever seen this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r1CZTLk-Gk
"Everything's amazing right now, and nobody's happy... We live in an amazing, amazing world, and it's wasted on the craftiest generation of spoiled idiots..."

kisbys
Jul 25, 2012, 11:25 AM
I almost did the same thing as you, thank god I left the tab open. What POS service doesn't even send you a confirmation email these days?

couldn't agree more... I mean surely they knew that they might have one or two people submitting a claim and to not even send an email confirming it just seems retarded...

surely the worlds biggest by profit IT company can work out right we sold 2 million macs since the 11th lets assume 75% of those will want to apply for the up-to-date program instantaneously so lets get the internet running.

Or maybe if you brought it in the iTunes store with your apple ID just added it to your iTunes account...

Or opened the window early so that we could get the code in the run up to this date and not overloaded the server...

massive fail Apple... sort of like your earns yesterday!!!! hahaha

kingoftherolex
Jul 25, 2012, 11:26 AM
two and a half hours and still nothing... IDK what was worse, waiting for ML to come live or waiting for the code for my update haha
good thing I passed out at 5 and got some sleep.

Lvivske
Jul 25, 2012, 11:28 AM
couldn't agree more... I mean surely they knew that they might have one or two people submitting a claim and to not even send an email confirming it just seems retarded...

surely the worlds biggest by profit IT company can work out right we sold 2 million macs since the 11th lets assume 75% of those will want to apply for the up-to-date program instantaneously so lets get the internet running.

Or maybe if you brought it in the iTunes store with your apple ID just added it to your iTunes account...

Or opened the window early so that we could get the code in the run up to this date and not overloaded the server...

massive fail Apple... sort of like your earns yesterday!!!! hahaha

This is true. Like you said, the code should be automatically added to our apple IDs ESPECIALLY if we bought it with our ID on the apple.com store

Braniff747SP
Jul 25, 2012, 11:29 AM
They should have had the show up and running since yesterday after the call so we could get our codes. Now we're delegated to wait for hours... 50 minutes and counting. I have to say, I'm disappointed with Apple on this one.

SugaredJuggler
Jul 25, 2012, 11:29 AM
Hey so I did a quick search throughout the forums and didn't see anything that would answer this question. I have a new Retina MacBook Pro and I filled out the form on Apple's website for the free upgrade code for Mountain Lion and I am still waiting for an email from them.

I was wondering what the average wait time was. How long did it take you to get your upgrade code?

vladster
Jul 25, 2012, 11:30 AM
Is there any technical reason why someone who pressed the button at the same time as me received it within 1 minute - and I'm sitting here 80 minutes later with nothing?

:confused:

There might be a valid technical reason for that. Suppose their ML download web site has some network bandwidth limit, so it can't satisfy demand of all potential buyers\upgraders within one hour, for example. Assume, the upgrade has to be spread during a week in order not to fail.

They can't control people who buy the system for money, but they can control the issuance of redemption codes. By delaying them until the load goes down, they make the server run within specifications. Someone got lucky and got it's code quickly, yours might be waiting in one of the ongoing batches to be activated after the server load goes down slightly.

There are, probably, better ways to implement this task by reallocating extra resources that currently idle in their areas, or purchase temporary cloud resources, but it does not look like high availability of web technologies is Apple's strength. During my very limited and random usage of some of their web systems I can easily remember around three times when they were completely down for hours. Two out of three were in Steve Job's times.

P.S. I will not even try to waste my time and will give them a couple of days to deal with those who is impatient :)

HighEndMac
Jul 25, 2012, 11:31 AM
Hey so I did a quick search throughout the forums and didn't see anything that would answer this question. I have a new Retina MacBook Pro and I filled out the form on Apple's website for the free upgrade code for Mountain Lion and I am still waiting for an email from them.

I was wondering what the average wait time was. How long did it take you to get your upgrade code?

I think this was covered in another thread. I hear it takes between 5 - 10 Min. to get the email replay with ur code.

harry20larry
Jul 25, 2012, 11:31 AM
4 hours for me. Its strange how some people are getting them instantly and some having to wait.

eklof
Jul 25, 2012, 11:34 AM
There might be a valid technical reason for that. Suppose their ML download web site has some network bandwidth limit, so it can't satisfy demand of all potential buyers\upgraders within one hour, for example. Assume, the upgrade has to be spread during a week in order not to fail.

They can't control people who buy the system for money, but they can control the issuance of redemption codes. By delaying them until the load goes down, they make the server run within specifications.

There are, probably, better ways to implement this task by reallocating extra resources that currently idle in their areas, or purchase temporary cloud resources, but it does not look like high availability of web technologies is Apple's strength. During my very limited and random usage of some of their web systems I can easily remember around three times when they were completely down for hours. Two out of three were in Steve Job's times.

P.S. I will not even try to waste my time and will give them a couple of days to deal with those who is impatient :)

You know you talk about one of the most valued companies on earth. The one having data centres the size of gaziljon footballsfields? Their server farm could probably issue 10 billion redeem codes in like 5 minutes, so I don't believe a second in that theory :)

SugaredJuggler
Jul 25, 2012, 11:35 AM
I think this was covered in another thread. I hear it takes between 5 - 10 Min. to get the email replay with ur code.

Oh crap sorry for asking it over again. Any idea what someone should do if they have waited over an hour for the code?

EDIT: So apparently I need to be better at searching. Just found the thread here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1410245&highlight=lion+update+code

Thanks!

Tom2893
Jul 25, 2012, 11:36 AM
submitted my 'up to date' form 3 hours 23 minutes ago, still nothing. looks like no mountain lion for most people getting it 'free' today. this is another apple tactic where they say its free- but make you wait and they know a lot of people are impatient and will just buy it anyway :mad:

Tibits
Jul 25, 2012, 11:36 AM
Just got mine, it took 2h 45m.

iPusch
Jul 25, 2012, 11:38 AM

ahwww I am sorry for you but I think thats no prob, I mean apple doesn't really need that do they? I at saved a PDF document of that page but I don't think that I need it cause apple is just a bit "lame" with sending those codes to the thousand of users who bought a new Mac (maybe million but idk)

kisbys
Jul 25, 2012, 11:40 AM
Just got mine, it took 2h 45m.

did you ever get a confirmation email or it just randomly turned up?

I'm guessing (not an excuse but) the reason for the sudden delay was a call by somebody in management after the redeem codes where going out wrong and they had to find the bug and kill it to stop people getting the same code as somebody else...

still waiting grrrrrr

vladster
Jul 25, 2012, 11:42 AM
You know you talk about one of the most valued companies on earth. The one having data centres the size of gaziljon footballsfields? Their server farm could probably issue 10 billion redeem codes in like 5 minutes, so I don't believe a second in that theory :)

Your response is actually irrelevant to my theory. My theory is - they don't have any problems issuing codes themselves, - but rather, they are consciously delaying them.

Having gazillions of data centers and managing them efficiently - two different stories.

P.S. And I wouldn't call my post a theory - it was just a guess, that just explains things that happen.

iPusch
Who watched Batman already? :)

willvbcfc

Mmm, yes. Thanks for the response vladster - but I agree with eklof. A company that has the power to push large quantities of information for 125 million + of their users instantly (iCloud) surely could drop us a redeem code just as quickly?

If it turned up now, after 4 hours, I'd just wonder why now? What's the reason for my application being approved now and not 4 hours ago?! It's meant to be an automated system anyway! Surely that's instant?!

G.N
Jul 25, 2012, 11:43 AM
its already been about 1 hour 45 minutes after my initial claim and i have since made 3 claims due to the lack of any confirmation. oh well, if i get four codes then at least it would be worth it.

eklof
Jul 25, 2012, 11:44 AM
Your response is actually irrelevant to my theory. My theory is - they don't have any problems issuing codes themselves, - but rather, they are consciously delaying them.

Having gazillions of data centers and managing them efficiently - two different stories.

P.S. And I wouldn't call my post a theory - it was just a guess, that just explains things that happen.

Ok I might have skimmed a bit quick through your post. However, delaying by purpuse does not make any sense, as it just makes me, and other customers annoyed :)

Lucascsula
Jul 25, 2012, 11:47 AM
I got my claim number. Now what?

TheWelshBoyo
Jul 25, 2012, 11:49 AM
I got the email about 10 minutes after the claim went through.
Unfortunately, i'm one of the unlucky ones who can't redeem their code :/
24 hours wait or so.
Has anyone from the up to date program been able to redeem their code?

willvbcfc

Now we all become very envious of you. Grrr. :(

G.N

in the mac app store, you have to click on redeem then enter your code which should start the download automatically

Lvivske
Jul 25, 2012, 11:51 AM
got my email now at the 24hr mark on the dot, great timing!

modester
Jul 25, 2012, 11:55 AM

If you didn't get two e-mails, one with a PDF containing a redemption code and one with a password for that PDF, you need to wait until they arrive to go redeem it in the App Store

Tibits
Jul 25, 2012, 11:57 AM
did you ever get a confirmation email or it just randomly turned up?

I did not get a confirmation email after the initial submission.

I got two separate e-mails (Password for PDF and PDF with Content Code) at 2h45m.

I am updating my backup and will try the code shortly.

Lucascsula
That's a negative ghostrider. I do not have permission for a flyby. My claim code did not work. I guess I'm waiting for the email with a different code?

amberashby
Yes... but does it work? :rolleyes:

Code doesn't work. How can Apple screw up something this basic?

Steve would have fired the person responsible. Tim will probably give them a hug and tell them to do better next time.

Southernboyj
Jul 25, 2012, 11:59 AM
I did not get a confirmation email after the initial submission.

I got two separate e-mails (Password for PDF and PDF with Content Code) at 2h45m.

I'll try it for you. :rolleyes:

spaceballl
Jul 25, 2012, 12:01 PM
Ugh - this is annoying. My girlfriend had to buy it for her older MacBook Air. I'm thinking about signing in on her account on my computer, getting it for free, and then moving on. My code will take forever....

theansky
Jul 25, 2012, 12:02 PM
Will probably give the code to my GF for her MBP.

Anyone know if this is possible/true?
would prob just use it for my older imac if thats the case and buy it for my new Air to slay my impatience in code waiting.

Tibits
Jul 25, 2012, 12:03 PM

The code worked, ML is downloading via the App Store

HighEndMac
Jul 25, 2012, 12:04 PM
n/p buddy

G.N
Jul 25, 2012, 12:08 PM
its now been about 2 hours. why is it that i have to wait while others get them nearly instantaneously?

M87
Jul 25, 2012, 12:08 PM
Got my code within minutes. Downloading now. :cool:

Nitrile
Jul 25, 2012, 12:11 PM
Got my code within minutes. Downloading now. :cool:

It seems that people are receiving working codes now. Sucks to be an early bird. I don't know when I''ll be receiving a replacement code. Sigh.

edtwodth
Jul 25, 2012, 12:12 PM
4.5 hours now ...

TheWelshBoyo
Jul 25, 2012, 12:12 PM
It seems that people are receiving working codes now. Sucks to be an early bird. I don't know when I''ll be receiving a replacement code. Sigh.

Bah. I should have waited :/

comatose81
Jul 25, 2012, 12:13 PM
Almost 4 hours and still waiting. I don't care all that much since a day or two is meaningless in the grand scheme of things, but this is a pretty poorly handled upgrade process.

TxMacAddict
Jul 25, 2012, 12:18 PM

I wish. I have been waiting all morning. I'm starting to get frustrated.

spaceballl
Jul 25, 2012, 12:20 PM
Ugh - this is annoying. My girlfriend had to buy it for her older MacBook Air. I'm thinking about signing in on her account on my computer, getting it for free, and then moving on. My code will take forever....
So as an update, that's what I did. I signed in on my girlfriend's (she will be my wife in a few days anyways) account, downloaded Mountain Lion, and life goes on. Not only do I get Mountain Lion earlier, but because we're in the same household, I believe it's totally legal. Woot!

amberashby
Jul 25, 2012, 12:21 PM
Anyone know if there is any difference between this official release and the gold master that was released a few weeks ago?

I have that version but thought I'd just wait and do the upgrade "legitimately", but I'm thinking about just doing it.

daveishere
Jul 25, 2012, 12:24 PM
Submitted my application about 3-4 hours ago, got nothing back off Apple yet.

Downloading the iPhoto/iMovie updates in the meantime.

vladster
Jul 25, 2012, 12:27 PM
If it turned up now, after 4 hours, I'd just wonder why now? What's the reason for my application being approved now and not 4 hours ago?! It's meant to be an automated system anyway! Surely that's instant?!

Read my "theory" again :) It explains the reason for the delay :)

kisbys
Jul 25, 2012, 12:29 PM

It seems like Apple has a thing about punishing Early adopters... first it was the travesty where the 2.7/16/768 rMPB buyers where quoted 3-5 weeks which was later reduced to 2-3 and those 2-3 got their orders first now its the guys who are excited about getting a new apple product get punished for daring to ask for it first...

Weak!!!!!

as Cartman once said... "Screw you guys... I'm going home"!!!!

macguybaltimore
Jul 25, 2012, 12:31 PM
Over 3 hours and still no code

Nitrile
Jul 25, 2012, 12:34 PM
It seems like Apple has a thing about punishing Early adopters... first it was the travesty where the 2.7/16/768 rMPB buyers where quoted 3-5 weeks which was later reduced to 2-3 and those 2-3 got their orders first now its the guys who are excited about getting a new apple product get punished for daring to ask for it first...

Weak!!!!!

as Cartman once said... "Screw you guys... I'm going home"!!!!

Support has asked me to wait for 5-7 business days for a replacement code. RIDICULOUS. :mad:

Hello xxxxx,
I'm sorry to hear that on redeeming the initial upgrade code you received, you were unable to proceed because an error indicated the code was invalid . I know you must be looking forward to having this resolved, xxxxx and I will be happy to assist you.

I looked into this for you and if your claim is accepted, a valid replacement code will be sent to you by email. There will be no need to submit a new claim. I apologize for any inconvenience in this regard.

Please let me know if you do not receive a replacement code within 5-7 business days, as I'll be happy to look into things further for you.

I hope this information is helpful, xxxxx, and thank you for your interest in OS X Mountain Lion. Please let me know how everything works out. I'd like to be sure that this has been resolved this for you. Take care and have a nice day!

G.N
Jul 25, 2012, 12:34 PM
coming up on 2.5 hours.
rrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaagggggggggeeeeeeee

nstabl
Jul 25, 2012, 12:38 PM
When I finally get mine, I'd like to do a fresh install of ML. I'm techy, but also a PC guy, can anyone point me in the right direction of installing ML from scratch once I have my non-physical licensed copy?

chiguy20002
Jul 25, 2012, 12:38 PM
I submitted my claim at 9:30 EST. I still have yet to receive an E-Mail. I also had to scan in a proof of purchase. I just submitted this again, we will see how long it will take. I haven't received any E-Mails yet.

theansky
Jul 25, 2012, 12:41 PM
I submitted my claim at 9:30 EST. I still have yet to receive an E-Mail. I also had to scan in a proof of purchase. I just submitted this again, we will see how long it will take. I haven't received any E-Mails yet.

ditto on all points. 2 claims as well

MyRomeo
Jul 25, 2012, 12:41 PM
Requested mine at 6pm (UK Time), now 6.41 and nothing yet.. I can wait, although I am at my parents place ready to download over there faster broadband! 18mb vs my 9mb... every little helps!

jarofclay73
Jul 25, 2012, 12:43 PM
Been 1 hour and 15 minutes since I submitted claim. Got claim number. No email yet. I was able to choose MacBook Air.

cooknwitha
Jul 25, 2012, 12:43 PM
Requested mine at 6pm (UK Time), now 6.41 and nothing yet.. I can wait, although I am at my parents place ready to download over there faster broadband! 18mb vs my 9mb... every little helps!

I submitted as soon as it went up before 3pm (UK Time). Still waiting. But hey..... at least it's sunny outside!!! :D

igiboi
Jul 25, 2012, 12:44 PM
I wish. I have been waiting all morning. I'm starting to get frustrated.

I've been waiting for 1hour! lol!:)

ayzee
Jul 25, 2012, 12:44 PM
I don't understand why they didn't open the program like a week early, to avoid everyone now submitting a claim AT THE SAME TIME....

Crashing servers, incorrect codes, frustrated customers..

It's like MobileMe all over again

apollo1994
Jul 25, 2012, 12:46 PM
I submitted my claim about 3 hours ago, about 11 o clock eastern time, and I have yet to receive my email. I've been so anxious about Mountain Lion! I hope I get my code soon :/

HighTopFade
Jul 25, 2012, 12:48 PM
I realized later that I didn't use the email address consistent with my Apple ID. When I tried submitting another claim, their system said I'm using a claimed serial number. Looks like my wait may be longer.

NewbieCanada
Jul 25, 2012, 12:48 PM
Oh crap sorry for asking it over again. Any idea what someone should do if they have waited over an hour for the code?

EDIT: So apparently I need to be better at searching. Just found the thread here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1410245&highlight=lion+update+code

Thanks!

I called support. They won't do anything until 72 hours have elapsed! (For the record I put in my request at 10:15 Eastern time)

Tech198
Jul 25, 2012, 12:49 PM
Just submitted my claim, will see how it goes ...

Same here,, as I purchased mine 11th July.

Of of curiosity, the fact Apple needed the serial of your Mac, is this only to prove eligibility ? Or would it be tired to this Mac... ?

Basically the same as a Apple factory install

psynnott
Jul 25, 2012, 12:49 PM
When I finally get mine, I'd like to do a fresh install of ML. I'm techy, but also a PC guy, can anyone point me in the right direction of installing ML from scratch once I have my non-physical licensed copy?

I too would like to know this

jasperk99
Jul 25, 2012, 12:51 PM
I too would like to know this

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1409416

bigcat
Jul 25, 2012, 12:51 PM
Knowing Apple, when I heard ML was out, with a RMBP, I thought all I had to do was to login to the useless mac app store and it would start downloading the thing for me. Well, no, I guess the mac app store is not good for this either. Hours and still no code. Looks like I am buying the thing. Apple used to make things easier than this. I am wondering whose idea this was?

Tobias Funke
Jul 25, 2012, 12:54 PM
Put mine in around 3 hours ago.

Nothing yet. :D

jasperk99
Jul 25, 2012, 12:55 PM
I submitted mine at 9:15AM and still no response, closing in on 5 hours; I am at work anyway but I sure hope I have it tonight when I get home

MassTownie
Jul 25, 2012, 12:56 PM
Apple Support just emailed me to say, "Hey, Fanboy...suck it up...and if you don't hear anything in 72 hours--give me a shout back" - Tim C.

dukebound85
Jul 25, 2012, 12:57 PM

hahaha i wish

Ghiggz
Jul 25, 2012, 12:57 PM
Why didn't they just give these codes out with Macs sold between 6/11 and now?

NewbieCanada
Jul 25, 2012, 12:59 PM
I have two eligible machines and one that isn't.

Does anyone know if:

1. Once I get my code(s) I'll be able to install from the app store on all machines, or just the two?

2. If I have to purchase it for my non-eligible machine, will that purchase work on all (if my code doesn't come) in a reasonable time?

In short, if I have to pay $20 regardless, there's not much point in waiting for the free version.

comatose81
Jul 25, 2012, 12:59 PM
Why didn't they just give these codes out with Macs sold between 6/11 and now?

That makes too much sense. A process where you fill out a form and just wait with no way to check a status is much more user-friendly.

kisbys
Jul 25, 2012, 01:00 PM
right now its been 3 hours... WTF apple...

Jazwire
Jul 25, 2012, 01:06 PM
I realized later that I didn't use the email address consistent with my Apple ID. When I tried submitting another claim, their system said I'm using a claimed serial number. Looks like my wait may be longer.

Don't worry, I submitted my claim with my Apple ID email, and I got no further than you have.

igiboi
Jul 25, 2012, 01:09 PM
When I did this in Snow leopard, they came back to me quick. Well, now everyone has mac's its gonna take days. lol

jasperk99
Jul 25, 2012, 01:10 PM
It might be easier to just download it, pay the 20 dollars, and then call and ask for a refund.........as you were supposed to get it for free but you never got a validation code..........Not recommending at this point, but who knows

NewbieCanada
Jul 25, 2012, 01:11 PM
Submitted 10:15, emails came at 2:00. Downloading as we speak (about 40% done)

Interstella5555
Jul 25, 2012, 01:12 PM
Seems like a time is money deal, if you wait for more than an hour you should probably just drop $20 on it :-)

Cathode
Jul 25, 2012, 01:19 PM
I'm not sure how many hours it's been (4, 5?), but I claimed my code on the up-to-date website shortly after it went live. Still no email. : (

aprilyc
Jul 25, 2012, 01:20 PM
Just wow. Pains of the first world eh?

Munitalp
Jul 25, 2012, 01:23 PM
I claimed right when it went live and no e-mail either. This thing is super inefficient...

DeltaHF
Jul 25, 2012, 01:24 PM
I'm just going to wait until later tonight before I try claiming my code. It sounds like doing it now in the middle of release day is just asking for trouble!

modester
Jul 25, 2012, 01:24 PM

kill-joy :D

jacg
Jul 25, 2012, 01:26 PM
4 hours waiting for me. Still nothing. Beginning to wonder if I typed something wrongly. I guess there's a good chance I'll make things worse if I try again.

SevengerNC
Jul 25, 2012, 01:27 PM
Submitted mine at 10:00 EST - now it's 2:27 EST and nothing

ivnj
Jul 25, 2012, 01:28 PM
I just called apple and it takes unto 72 hours she said.

Ksh
Jul 25, 2012, 01:30 PM
I received the redemption code 7 days after joining "up to date" program at Lion release date so just must be patient with ML now :)

ivnj
Jul 25, 2012, 01:33 PM
I received the redemption code 7 days after joining "up to date" program at Lion release date so just must be patient with ML now :)

7 days... Wow, puts my 72 hours to shame. I seriously hope its not 7 days again. But at least I verified I'm in the system.

afurry13
Jul 25, 2012, 01:33 PM

If it's 7 days, I'm not waiting that long. I'll get the GM from other sources

drewyboy
Jul 25, 2012, 01:36 PM
72 hours, 7 days.. what the heck apple? people have been told 24 hours... 48 hours... 24-48 hours and now these two. I think someone needs to hand out the script. OR you could have just started handing out codes a few days earlier! What a surprise. You should have it in the app store the ML is available for me since I registered this new MBP with my Apple ID just 3 weeks ago. Apple should hire me because I guess I'm a little bit brighter than some at apple.

edtwodth
Jul 25, 2012, 01:38 PM
6 hours now ...

darwinian
Jul 25, 2012, 01:38 PM
Was anyone asked to upload an image of a receipt for verification?

Tom2893
Jul 25, 2012, 01:39 PM
been almost 6 hours now. sigh looks like if you want it free you gotta wait a week! wahooOo!

Cathode
Jul 25, 2012, 01:39 PM

I was actually hoping to get it installed before flying out to Malawi as a member of the Peace Corps. Having iMessage is a great way for me to stay in contact with friends and family while I will be away.

Internet will be sparse and I prefer being able to talk instantly instead of emails.

I guess it still very much is a "first world problem". But some of us give back and technology helps.

macbookman83
Jul 25, 2012, 01:41 PM
It might be easier to just download it, pay the 20 dollars, and then call and ask for a refund.........as you were supposed to get it for free but you never got a validation code..........Not recommending at this point, but who knows

Then there's gonna be a thread for all the impatient people who PAID for a FREE upgrade...............

Apple has sold MILLIONS of New Macs between June and yesterday..........

There are MILLIONS of people who placed a claim so be patient as I am.

I'm at work so if they send me my code there is NOTHING I can do at the moment but wait until I get home.......

More importantly once you actually install Lion what are you going to do that is so time sensitive?????

I wouldn't advise anyone to be foolish and impatient and purchase a copy and expect Apple to refund you because you clearly could wait.

It's only been a couple of hours and the launch was worldwide.

My real question again is for the people that are yet to receive their code did you purchase from an actual Apple store/Online/Online reseller????

I'm still waiting for my code and purchased it from MacMall.com

Vctr
Jul 25, 2012, 01:42 PM
Then there's gonna be a thread for all the impatient people who PAID for a FREE upgrade...............

Apple has sold MILLIONS of New Macs between June and yesterday..........

There are MILLIONS of people who placed a claim so be patient as I am.

I'm at work so if they send me my code there is NOTHING I can do at the moment but wait until I get home.......

More importantly once you actually install Lion what are you going to do that so time sensitive?????

I wouldn't advise anyone to be foolish and impatient and purchase a copy and expect Apple to refund you because you clearly could wait.

It's only been a couple of hours and the lauch was worldwide.

My real question again is for the people that are yet to recieve their code did you purchase from an actual Apple store/Online/Online reseller????

I'm still waiting for my code and purchased it from MacMall.com

Preach it brother!

deannnnn
Jul 25, 2012, 01:43 PM

Lol so true. Undeveloped countries see Mountain Lion as a severe threat to their lives, not an exciting update to their MacBook Pros.

comatose81
Jul 25, 2012, 01:47 PM
Lol so true. Undeveloped countries see Mountain Lion as a severe threat to their lives, not an exciting update to their MacBook Pros.

I about pissed myself after reading this.

Lucascsula
Jul 25, 2012, 01:54 PM
I received an email indicating that it'll be a minumum of 72 hours.

drewyboy
Jul 25, 2012, 02:00 PM
I think they should have said, It's released tomorrow for PAYING customers, otherwise another week for those who already paid and are getting a code. So it's more Aug. 1st release for those who purchased a computer already.

not gone lie, this has taken out all the wind from my sails on what was suppose to be an "exciting" day. it's just becoming a meh thing for me as the time goes on. :(

Ghiggz
Jul 25, 2012, 02:11 PM
Knowing Apple, when I heard ML was out, with a RMBP, I thought all I had to do was to login to the useless mac app store and it would start downloading the thing for me. Well, no, I guess the mac app store is not good for this either. Hours and still no code. Looks like I am buying the thing. Apple used to make things easier than this. I am wondering whose idea this was?

Whoever it was that came up with this ass backwards redemption code program should probably be executed. Or at least fired. One of the two.

NewbieCanada
Jul 25, 2012, 02:16 PM
Install finished on two machines.

Never had a Windows install that took me back to the same web pages I was on before!

MacMackenzie
Jul 25, 2012, 02:17 PM
Whoever it was that came up with this ass backwards redemption code program should probably be executed.

Um.

urkel
Jul 25, 2012, 02:22 PM
Whats most annoying here is that they don't let you download until AFTER you get the code. So we've now been waiting 5hrs for the code and then many of us will have several hours of downloading for the full file.

jmgag03
Jul 25, 2012, 02:27 PM
Does anyone know if this free copy will work with multiple Macs? I have an old MBP and a Mac Mini that I would like to install Mountain Lion on as well.

If the free upgrade is only good for my new MBA then I'll just buy the update since I'm going to update multiple computers anyway.

donx
Jul 25, 2012, 02:31 PM
on which e-mail adress should I provide
"an electronic copy of a dated, itemized sales receipt indicating the marketing part number(s) of the qualifying product(s) purchased. " ???

xpcker
Jul 25, 2012, 02:35 PM
6 hrs and counting =(!

freedevil
Jul 25, 2012, 02:35 PM
I was actually hoping to get it installed before flying out to Malawi as a member of the Peace Corps. Having iMessage is a great way for me to stay in contact with friends and family while I will be away.

Internet will be sparse and I prefer being able to talk instantly instead of emails.

I guess it still very much is a "first world problem". But some of us give back and technology helps.

Download Messages on Lion, it still works.

jasperk99
Jul 25, 2012, 02:36 PM
Did they ask everyone for a copy of the receipt? I was not asked to submit one

edtwodth
Jul 25, 2012, 02:38 PM
And now: 7 hours ans waiting ...

comatose81
Jul 25, 2012, 02:40 PM

I was not either.

sahilm1
Jul 25, 2012, 02:41 PM
I submitted around 12 PM EST and am still waiting (3:40 PM) for any email whatsoever.

Did people get some kind of confirmation email confirming they applied for the program, because I didn't even get that.

comatose81
Jul 25, 2012, 02:44 PM
I submitted around 12 PM EST and am still waiting (3:40 PM) for any email whatsoever.

Did people get some kind of confirmation email confirming they applied for the program, because I didn't even get that.

Nope - just a "claim number". Whatever that is good for.

This whole process is a mess.

suresh31
Jul 25, 2012, 02:44 PM
I submitted around 9 AM EST and got the password email within 5 minutes but the actual code email never came...not in spam,....

darwinian
Jul 25, 2012, 02:45 PM

I was after tricking it a little (more on that if someone wants), but it wouldn't accept my jpg upload under 1 MB (its stated requirements). I sort of gave up trying.

So did the Lion up-to-date program run this poorly? There are so many more obvious ways of doing this. I can just see the lines of Geniuses checking serial numbers against receipts in some abandoned looking building on the old HP campus.

SugaredJuggler
Jul 25, 2012, 02:50 PM
6 hrs and counting =(!

I am in the same boat. Just it 5hrs and still waiting!!!!

M5RahuL
Jul 25, 2012, 02:51 PM
I was asked for the receipt. I bought the computer last night from an Apple retail store and had'em email me the receipt.

Converted to JPG and attached it to the *up to date program*, got a claim number and now waiting... It's been over 2 hrs and no news yet!

aristobrat
Jul 25, 2012, 02:52 PM
Seems like a time is money deal, if you wait for more than an hour you should probably just drop $20 on it :-)
That's exactly what I did. If/when my free download code comes, I'll just give it to a friend.

trsblader
Jul 25, 2012, 02:57 PM
5 hours, not a single email. When Lion came out this was much more smooth :(

G.N
Jul 25, 2012, 03:00 PM
i am seriously hoping that this is the only bug we will have to come into throughout mountain lion

saleemyas3
Jul 25, 2012, 03:02 PM
submitted at 9 am and nothing yet.

ryanide
Jul 25, 2012, 03:04 PM
no emails yet. just the confirmation number after it took my info... weird.

Doesn't seem to be any way to check the confirmation number either..?

tibi08
Jul 25, 2012, 03:04 PM
Are they manually verifying the claims? Is that totally necessary?

M5RahuL
Jul 25, 2012, 03:11 PM
I wonder if we can take our laptops to an Apple Retail store and have'em do the upgrade... That is, considering, you have one nearby and the time/patience and are desperate enough to get ML !! :p

mgmusicman94
Jul 25, 2012, 03:12 PM
That's exactly what I did. If/when my free download code comes, I'll just give it to a friend.

Isn't the code unique for your machine?

soulsteelgray
Jul 25, 2012, 03:13 PM
I submitted around 9 AM EST and got the password email within 5 minutes but the actual code email never came...not in spam,....

I'm the opposite of you; I got the code email but I'm missing the password email. :p

All in due time, I suppose!

iPusch
Jul 25, 2012, 03:15 PM
I wonder if we can take our laptops to an Apple Retail store and have'em do the upgrade... That is, considering, you have one nearby and the time/patience and are desperate enough to get ML !! :p

Yeah I think that's possible but currently I am too lazy to go down to the Apple Store haha but the good thing it has open all day all time so I may try later :D Apple 5th Avenue Store :p

kingoftherolex
Jul 25, 2012, 03:18 PM
called support and he told me it was approved and he tried re-sending it to me but it just isn't going through :(

edit: he told me to email uptodatesupport@apple.com and see if they can help

Tom2893
Jul 25, 2012, 03:23 PM
7hr 22m... nothing

macfan46
Jul 25, 2012, 03:25 PM
Waiting since 9:00, nothing :mad:

iPusch
Jul 25, 2012, 03:25 PM
7hr 22m... nothing

Haha it's so funny that you all know when you sent the request, I not even have a clue how long I am waiting now but it's way to long, not even got Password mail nor PDF mail :eek:

willvbcfc
Jul 25, 2012, 03:34 PM
Congratulations, I have reached the 7 and a half hour waiting mark...

Waiting to be sent a little code.

What a cock up.

hbsgay
Jul 25, 2012, 03:36 PM
over 6 hours
seriously?

jburns
Jul 25, 2012, 03:37 PM
i'm the opposite of you; i got the code email but i'm missing the password email. :p

all in due time, i suppose!

code: Ur2bscrewed4fun

password: Iamfooked

edtwodth
Jul 25, 2012, 03:37 PM
8 hours for a simple email ....

Tech198
Jul 25, 2012, 03:41 PM
I spose u could say the delay (looooong delay) could be due to maybe manual check, but even that would probably be going to the extreme.

Since i only just did mine not long ago, this 7 or so hour could be a bad indication for me then.... :( oh well... just hope i get it..

I could go to the Apple Store near me, but i want the installer.

SisterRay
Jul 25, 2012, 03:41 PM
Does anyone know if this free copy will work with multiple Macs? I have an old MBP and a Mac Mini that I would like to install Mountain Lion on as well.

If the free upgrade is only good for my new MBA then I'll just buy the update since I'm going to update multiple computers anyway.

I'd also like to know this, if it's only for my new MacBook pro, then I could update other mac while waiting for my free upgrade

anzio
Jul 25, 2012, 03:42 PM
8 hours for a simple email ....

Tubes must be full.

Tech198
Jul 25, 2012, 03:46 PM
I'd also like to know this, if it's only for my new MacBook pro, then I could update other mac while waiting for my free upgrade

Yep... Just a guess but thats probably what the Redeem in the App Store is for.

Since its from the App Store, it will work on all Macs.

My only guess, is its the same as buying it....... except its free with the code :)
:apple:

xpcker
Jul 25, 2012, 03:46 PM
come on guys, chill out its just an upgrade of an os, ur life isnt going to be changed....

wait the freaking day, go out or something. ive been waiting 7 hours but chill... :o

EnigMoiD
Jul 25, 2012, 03:48 PM
To MacBook Air owners who applied for codes earlier today, maybe try going back and doing it again. They've added "MacBook Air" to the list of devices (at the bottom) and this time I didn't get asked for a scan of a proof of purchase.

It went through again and I got a different claim code, and I last tried at 10am eastern (7 hours ago) so it was worth a try.

nstabl
Jul 25, 2012, 03:57 PM
To MacBook Air owners who applied for codes earlier today, maybe try going back and doing it again. They've added "MacBook Air" to the list of devices (at the bottom) and this time I didn't get asked for a scan of a proof of purchase.

It went through again and I got a different claim code, and I last tried at 10am eastern (7 hours ago) so it was worth a try.

Initially did it at 8a PST. Now just redid it and it gave me a different confirmation code. I was able to pick Macbook Air both times and wasn't asked to scan anything earlier or now. Will post results should there be any - I am going to try the Lion Diskmaker Utility to do a fresh install of the OS on my MBA after it downloads from the app store.

bananafranco
Jul 25, 2012, 04:00 PM
yes the wait is very annoying but to be fair, it's still July and in the fineprint it states: ...Mountain Lion, redeemable on the Mac App Store, will be emailed within 24 hours of order qualification.

So relax and enjoy your "free" copy tomorrow. The outrage started 24 hours early. :p

kisbys
Jul 25, 2012, 04:11 PM
beginning to think apple took a vow of silence over this issue

jaydubber
Jul 25, 2012, 04:28 PM
For those that have been asked to provide proof of purchase, I ran into the same issue when I accidentally provided the wrong serial number. Instead of the serial number for my new Macbook Retina I provided the serial number for my 2011 Macbook. When I realized this I went back and entered the correct serial number, and it went right through to confirmation without asking for a proof image upload.

So, the decision to prompt for proof or not seems to hinge on serial numbers. At least it did for me.

sahilm1
Jul 25, 2012, 04:37 PM
Did anyone try re-submitting their claim? Did that help?

G.N
Jul 25, 2012, 04:38 PM

i don't tink that would help seeing as how i've already done it 4 times

sahilm1
Jul 25, 2012, 04:39 PM
Also, I called Apple support, and basically, he said that my claim was approved, and to wait up to 72 hours for the email :mad:

I found it amazing that while the claim was approved, he said he couldn't give me the code over the phone since he didn't have access. Apple, if you're going to do this, at least allow your support team to manually give the codes, especially if the claim is already approved!

kisbys
Jul 25, 2012, 04:43 PM
Also, I called Apple support, and basically, he said that my claim was approved, and to wait up to 72 hours for the email :mad:

I found it amazing that while the claim was approved, he said he couldn't give me the code over the phone since he didn't have access. Apple, if you're going to do this, at least allow your support team to manually give the codes, especially if the claim is already approved!

I hope you replied that their terms and conditions state that your code will be with you within 24 hours

urkel
Jul 25, 2012, 04:45 PM

It does say MacBook Air now as a choice but when I put in my serial it says "This is an already claimed serial number."

Seriously, this is annoying. You'd think by buying hardware earliest we'd be first in line for the upgrade but 9hrs later and we're still in limbo.

SugaredJuggler
Jul 25, 2012, 04:46 PM

I attempted to resubmit my claim but the form wouldn't go through because the serial number was already claimed.

urkel
Jul 25, 2012, 04:54 PM

Its a sign of the times when validating a Microsoft OS upgrade is easier than upgrading OS X.

I know, I know. I'm just annoyed because I had the day off and got in at 6AM PST and its now 3PM and the the problem is unresolved. And lets face it, even at my worst days with Windows I was still able to get a phone rep to validate an installation over the phone within half an hour so you can't blame people for calling out issues that happen under "Tim Cooks Apple".

igneousc
Jul 25, 2012, 05:06 PM
I spose u could say the delay (looooong delay) could be due to maybe manual check, but even that would probably be going to the extreme.

Since i only just did mine not long ago, this 7 or so hour could be a bad indication for me then.... :( oh well... just hope i get it..

I could go to the Apple Store near me, but i want the installer.

All retina macbook serials should be immediate since they're all eligible for this upgrade :mad:

tillsbury
Jul 25, 2012, 05:14 PM
You wouldn't have thought it was beyond their computers to automatically email out this code to the same email address that all recent purchases were sent to, surely? Do you think they all use Macs? :p

saleemyas3
Jul 25, 2012, 05:23 PM
All they had to do was log all of the serial numbers for any 2012 macs sold (they probably do anyways), and have that be your coupon code. Would've made this whole process much easier on everyone

igiboi
Jul 25, 2012, 05:25 PM
oh man, angry mob :mad:

I'm also waiting for my email, maybe I'm not the only one anxiously waiting for it. lol

traumuhhtize
Jul 25, 2012, 05:28 PM
Submitted at 3pm and now it's 5 pm and no email.

Daws001
Jul 25, 2012, 05:30 PM
Well, this blows. It's been almost 6hrs for me.

Went from excited to deflated :(

SparkeyScene
Jul 25, 2012, 05:36 PM
Hmmmm, this thread really isn't boosting my confidence. Hoping it doesn't take longer for UK purchases to be validated, that would suck. Could anyone else in the UK let me know if you have any major issues or anything?

Apple, where is your slick skill that I bought you for!?!?

Tom2893
Jul 25, 2012, 05:37 PM
almost 10 hours no email :D

farbods0
Jul 25, 2012, 05:47 PM
Umm i bought my macbook pro 2012 sealed from craiglist and I didnt know the guys name so I just made one up. Is that okay or is that going to affect it. The serial number/model number qualify for the free upgrade though. Im only asking because its been 5 hours and no code

Katibabie
Jul 25, 2012, 05:52 PM
I sent mine about 8 hours ago and NADA!!!

You would think it would have been more logical to allow the up to date users to enter their info a few days, maybe a week a head of time and have Apple do whatever "verification" they needed to do BEFORE the release date. Then send the emails as they get each user verified or even on the release date and then when release date comes everyone will already have their codes and they won't get bombarded by thousands of people deservedly wanting their upgrades. :(

cvam1985
Jul 25, 2012, 05:52 PM
Wow was anyone else punched in the gut just now by getting a promo email from Apple announcing the availability of ML?

And did anyone else get all über excited at first thinking it was their activation code? I know I did. Been waiting for mine since 8am mt.

dontcallmyname
Jul 25, 2012, 06:02 PM
I've only been waiting an hour and a half so far, but I went to bed at 2am (it's 9am atm) and ML wasn't available for me in Australia.

I hope I get it in the next few hours because I don't want to use my own internet to download and I don't want to make an extra trip into uni to download. ugh.

sanbon909
Jul 25, 2012, 06:05 PM
Has anyone received their emails/code that waited 5+ hours? Just wondering if they're getting through the back log or if I messed up the request process. This whole thing should have been easier. I bought a 2012 MBP in June. What kind of validation do they need to do other than the serial number?