Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Typically it takes a few weeks but a BTO may be the wildcard

No big deal since apple provides the up to date program and you get ML for free

BBman

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2012
Well I ordered a BTO on sunday and it is still in processing, heres hoping I get Mountain Lion with it.:cool:

RightMACatU

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2012
I would like to know who does what and where when you order a BTO.
Does your order go to China? Do they already have piles of all possible BTOs in stock?

MacUser09

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2009
UK
I just ordered a BTO MBA, 25th July pm. On Apple's MacBook Air page, it says "now comes with Mountain Lion". On my order page, it shows it comes with Lion.
Will just have to wait and see.

RightMACatU

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2012
I just ordered a BTO MBA, 25th July pm. On Apple's MacBook Air page, it says "now comes with Mountain Lion". On my order page, it shows it comes with Lion.
Will just have to wait and see.

"Now comes with ML"... once you redeem your upgrade coupon.

A colleague pressed the BUY button this morning (July 25) for a 13" Ultimate MBA and received a shipped confirmation by lunch time :eek:
Way too fast so I'm thinking Lion here and not ML.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA

1) Does your order go to China?

2) Do they already have piles of all possible BTOs in stock?
1a) Yes that's where all Apple computers are built

2a) Yes, they have piles of them. Just be sure to attach a note to your order asking them to select one that is not dented.

When they get tossed into piles denting is a problem :) ha...ha..ha...

For clarification, BTO means Built To Order, which in turn means that they don't build it till you order it. Kapeesh?

To all above... everyone will definitely get Mountain Lion, they won't load an old OS on a new computer.

RightMACatU

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2012
1a) Yes that's where all Apple computers are built

2a) Yes, they have piles of them. Just be sure to attach a note to your order asking them to select one that is not dented.

When they get tossed into piles denting is a problem :) ha...ha..ha...

For clarification, BTO means Built To Order, which in turn means that they don't build it till you order it. Kapeesh?

To all above... everyone will definitely get Mountain Lion, they won't load an old OS on a new computer.

Cool!
... but they could have a 'pile' or stack of BTO already built with Lion on 'em :D

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Cool!
... but they could have a 'pile' or stack of BTO already built with Lion on 'em :D
Actually while common sense tells us that would be a good idea, for some reason they don't do that.

They strictly build to order according to the configurations being requested.

Therefore there's never a worry about not getting "the latest" rev of the OS.

Cheers :)

GREEN4U

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
Well I ordered a BTO on sunday and it is still in processing, heres hoping I get Mountain Lion with it.:cool:

Can you give us an update?

Desparetly would like to know if the BTO macs are shipping with it preinstalled yet...

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
Does your order go to China? Do they already have piles of all possible BTOs in stock?
Not sure about whether they have piles of them waiting around or not. But they do come from China. I got mine on Monday, and I was tracking it from China. But I think that if they had bunches of them built already, they'd be able to ship them from the states, instead of all the way from China. So I'm guessing that your macbook only exists in your mind, until you order it. Then it gets built. ;)

BBman

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2012
Can you give us an update?

Desparetly would like to know if the BTO macs are shipping with it preinstalled yet...

It was just shipped yesterday night(local central time). I cant confirm if it comes with ML until I receive it this upcoming tuesday. I assume since apple took the full three days to process my order and got it out the night of the ML release that there is a good chance that it will come with it.

GREEN4U

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
It was just shipped yesterday night(local central time). I cant confirm if it comes with ML until I receive it this upcoming tuesday. I assume since apple took the full three days to process my order and got it out the night of the ML release that there is a good chance that it will come with it.

Thanks BBman. Now I can't wait until Tuesday to find out from you. I'm really excited for you and hope it's Mtn Lion too! :D But like the other guy said, 3 days to process the order doesnt necessarily mean it has ML.

I did chat with an Apple.com store rep just now, here is what he said:

Right, there wouldn't be a set date exactly to say when the inventory shifts to Mountain Lion. As of right now, we're told that the Macs will be shipping with Mountain Lion.

I'm still skeptical though. Guess we'll (you) find out soon. BTW, what did you order...8GB 13"?

BBman

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2012
Yes I opted for the base 13" with 8gb of ram.

About ML, I guess one can only hope but worst case scenario is that I will have to wait to get a redemption code from apple.

I would prefer to receive the MBA with ML preinstalled, for me it just makes the transition to a new computer feel complete when it comes with the new OS.

GREEN4U

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
I would prefer to receive the MBA with ML preinstalled, for me it just makes the transition to a new computer feel complete when it comes with the new OS.

Same. I'm Apple OCD and haven't bought a new Mac since 2005, my Powerbook. I need this purchase/computer to be perfect.

Blackened Apple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
Anyone notice that the section labeled Software in an item's description in the shopping cart has now changed from OS X Lion to simply OS X? I wonder if that's them recognizing they have no idea which version of OS X you'll actually get ;)

GREEN4U

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
Anyone notice that the section labeled Software in an item's description in the shopping cart has now changed from OS X Lion to simply OS X? I wonder if that's them recognizing they have no idea which version of OS X you'll actually get ;)

BA - did you order your BTO MBA yet?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.