PDA

View Full Version : Apple Releases Safari 6 Update for OS X Lion

MacRumors
Jul 25, 2012, 08:33 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/25/apple-releases-safari-6-update-for-os-x-lion/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/07/182115-Safari_Icon_125.jpg

Alongside OS X Mountain Lion 10.8 (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/25/apple-launches-os-x-mountain-lion-via-mac-app-store-for-19-99/), Apple has released the updated version of Safari to OS X Lion (10.7). It is available in OS X Lion's Software Update. According to Apple, the new Safari contains new features, including:

- Smart Search Field. Safari now has one field for typing both searches and web addresses.
- Offline Reading List. Safari saves entire webpages in your Reading List so you can catch up on your reading even when you don't have an internet connection.
- Do Not Track. Safari can send the websites you visit a request not to track you online.
- Password pane. Manage your saved website logins with the new Password pane.
- Baidu. The leading Chinese search engine Baidu is now a built-in option for Chinese users.
For more information about Safari, please visit: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5275

Safari 6 for OS X Lion also includes improvements to stability, compatibility, usability and security, including changes that:

- Make the swipe to navigate gesture work with PDFs.
- Restore the state of Reading List when Safari is launched.
- Fix an issue that affected full screen video in webpages that have positioned content.
- Restore the user's previous cookies after Private Browsing without requiring a Safari relaunch.

Article Link: Apple Releases Safari 6 Update for OS X Lion (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/25/apple-releases-safari-6-update-for-os-x-lion/)

jasonxneo
Jul 25, 2012, 08:34 AM
now safari really feels snappier! :p

NazgulRR
Jul 25, 2012, 08:34 AM
That's it! My Safari just snapped in half! :eek:

reubs
Jul 25, 2012, 08:40 AM
I noticed there's an iWork update, too, and it makes all of them compatible w/ iCloud once Mountain Lion is installed. That's really good news; no need to pay for an upgrade to that suite.

AirThis
Jul 25, 2012, 08:41 AM
Just installed it.

Tar Sniffer
Jul 25, 2012, 08:42 AM
Is it just me or does the Reader button look uncomfortable now?
Also, Safari feels much snappier! ;)

zared
Jul 25, 2012, 08:45 AM
still waiting for download

CplBadboy
Jul 25, 2012, 08:47 AM
Mmmmm. Safari is feeling much snappier. Good job Apple.:D

potatis
Jul 25, 2012, 08:49 AM
Was there ever a Safari 5.2 ?

Raftysworld
Jul 25, 2012, 08:50 AM
Okay this meme is just getting old now. Can we actually discuss the changes in Safari 6?

On a side note, does anyone think that the prevalence of the number 6 in recent products (iOS6, Safari 6) implies that the 6th generation iPhone will be called the iPhone 6?

jake0112
Jul 25, 2012, 08:50 AM
Oh wow, over 2 gigs of updates. Looking forward to one search field in safari - long overdue in my opinion.

AirThis
Jul 25, 2012, 08:53 AM
I've opened part of a page in Dashboard, but it won't go away. Guess I'm safari 6 challenged. :D

Edit: never mind, just figured this one out. It's just like any other widget. Duh... :)

Lucky736
Jul 25, 2012, 08:57 AM
Any word on 10.6 support? I hope so.

beltzak
Jul 25, 2012, 08:58 AM
Yeah great support for Snow Leopard Indeed.

A happy happy Mac Pro 1.1 user. Have fun with Apple.

Edgecrusherr
Jul 25, 2012, 09:05 AM
I was hoping, though not expecting, that Snow Leopard would at least get Safari 6 as its last version...guess not.

Good thing playing around with Chromium last week. Looks like it's my SL browser of choice.

Sorry Apple, Lion/Mt Lion doesn't cut it in my production environment! (Print company).

stoplis
Jul 25, 2012, 09:05 AM
No tabview though. :(

anzio
Jul 25, 2012, 09:06 AM
Where's the Windows version? Is Safari Mac only again?

G2244
Jul 25, 2012, 09:06 AM
It appears there is a Windows version possibly? On my work Windows machine when I run apple software update it says new software is available but shows nothing in the list to select.

mex4eric
Jul 25, 2012, 09:07 AM
No Mountain Lion available yet, so might as well try these instead until store settles down.

madrag
Jul 25, 2012, 09:13 AM
I'm a bit nervous about the smart search, because I type my URLs without http and I wonder if it will start searching for the URLs instead of going directly to them, and vice-versa :confused:

I haven't got Lion to test it, anyone can give some thoughts on their experience on the unified address/search?

^^BIGMac
Jul 25, 2012, 09:15 AM
now safari really feels snappier! :pYou didn't. :D

jrichard012
Jul 25, 2012, 09:15 AM
My download went through immediately. When I go to install, it says my hard disk is used for time machine backups. After disabling TM, and doing a restart, I get the same message when I go to the screen where you select where to install.

jabingla2810
Jul 25, 2012, 09:16 AM
Yeah great support for Snow Leopard Indeed.

A happy happy Mac Pro 1.1 user. Have fun with Apple.

We will.

blackboxxx
Jul 25, 2012, 09:18 AM
And nobody noticed that Apple just quietly killed Safari for Windows? Good riddance.

That leaves iTunes as the last remaining Apple software for Windows.

slrandall
Jul 25, 2012, 09:23 AM
Only using it on Lion, but wow - Safari 6 is blazing. Or "snappy", as all you guys say. :p

mrbyu
Jul 25, 2012, 09:28 AM
Hm... just updated on Lion (with ML I'm not in a hurry, I'm gonna update in the next few days). The huge tabs and the reader button look a little strange at first, but I think you just have to get used to it. One thing I really miss from Chrome is that if you have more opened tabs and you want to close them, they don't shrink until your mouse hovers over the X button, so you can just keep closing them without always moving your cursor.

The new pinch gesture for tab switching unfortunately doesn't work under Lion.

But hell it is a LOT snappier :D

And best of all: Top Sites finally seems to work nice and smooth, it doesn't freeze and always highlights the pages without having to move the cursor around!

azentropy
Jul 25, 2012, 09:32 AM
Does 6 still have RSS support?

beltzak
Jul 25, 2012, 09:37 AM
We will.

We used to, not anymore.

theosib
Jul 25, 2012, 09:42 AM
Great. Lots of new features. But let me guess. It still has massive memory bloat, and it still reverts your Google searches to whatever you typed into the address bar, not what you typed on the Google page. Any other non-fixed bugs?

dejo
Jul 25, 2012, 09:44 AM
Is it just me, or does hitting the 'delete' key no longer go back a page?

kissmo
Jul 25, 2012, 09:47 AM
Activity VIEW window disappeared.... sooo disappointing...

Navdakilla
Jul 25, 2012, 09:52 AM
Haven't had a chance to download it yet, but any idea if youtube works smoothly?

I ended up switching over to chrome only for the reason that youtube videos embedded in sites would never work properly. And typically on a average web browsing day I would come across 20-30.

Jessica Lares
Jul 25, 2012, 10:07 AM
And nobody noticed that Apple just quietly killed Safari for Windows? Good riddance.

I just heard. I'm really happy that they came to that decision in the end. It was never meant to be and I'm pretty sure a lot of money went wasted into developing it. iTunes is great on Windows, so is Quicktime, but that's as far as it should go.

rtues-d2
Jul 25, 2012, 10:08 AM
Is it just me, or does hitting the 'delete' key no longer go back a page?Nope, not just you. Don't know how I feel about that one...I guess they really are trying to make the trackpad as big a feature as possible.

steve-p
Jul 25, 2012, 10:09 AM
Ugh. Don't care much for the expanding tabs, or the omnibar.

diddl14
Jul 25, 2012, 10:11 AM
Does 6 still have RSS support?

Just had a intensive WTF moment finding out it doesn't...

musio
Jul 25, 2012, 10:13 AM

You're kidding!? This was the best way to download files.... Any alternative?

rtues-d2
Jul 25, 2012, 10:19 AM
Haven't had a chance to download it yet, but any idea if youtube works smoothly?

I ended up switching over to chrome only for the reason that youtube videos embedded in sites would never work properly. And typically on a average web browsing day I would come across 20-30.So far, I've just gone on YT directly but it's been smooth as butter. When people say it feels snappier, they aren't lying.

Mr. Retrofire
Jul 25, 2012, 10:19 AM
Where's the Windows version? Is Safari Mac only again?
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1539

Some features are only in the ML-version:
http://www.apple.com/safari/#tabs

AnonMac50
Jul 25, 2012, 10:24 AM

Don't they still offer QuickTime (which IMO is a major fail on Windows).

mdimovv
Jul 25, 2012, 10:25 AM
Anybody know how to revert back to 5.1.7?
I'm using MacBook Air 2012, and 5.1.7 was a lot smoother at scrolling than
Thanks!

DJJAZZYJET
Jul 25, 2012, 10:25 AM
Thought i'd try the new safari whilst mountain lion downloads, and I have to say, it feels snappier (get mad haters :P) Scrolling is much smoother, even in lion, but looking closely I can still see little choppy bits, but with mountain lion I think core graphics got updated,.

AnonMac50
Jul 25, 2012, 10:27 AM
They released Safari 5.1.7 today for Windows.

hamkor04
Jul 25, 2012, 10:41 AM
I just heard. I'm really happy that they came to that decision in the end. It was never meant to be and I'm pretty sure a lot of money went wasted into developing it. iTunes is great on Windows, so is Quicktime, but that's as far as it should go.

Safari is my main browser dispite ist used to be slover than chrome. But not on windows machines. I can't agree more with you Jessica. It was totaly wast

Sven11
Jul 25, 2012, 10:43 AM
Sorry Apple, Lion/Mt Lion doesn't cut it in my production environment! (Print company).

You should upgrade. Apple stopped support for Snow Leopard. There will be no security updates anymore.

anshuvorty
Jul 25, 2012, 10:50 AM
just checked software update on os x lion and I don't see the updated safari release, where is it?

http://twitpic.com/abmzdh

blackboxxx
Jul 25, 2012, 10:53 AM
Address bar now hides http/https prefix and makes the path after domain name light grey, it's nearly invisible. I guess that's the trend now, with Chrome and Firefox doing the same thing, IE9 being the exception.

That prefix hiding, by the way, is very annoying if you access a site over https that has some content (images, scripts, ads) delivered over plain http. In this case you get no indication that the main page uses https whatsoever.

Maybe there's a hidden pref somewhere to disable this nonsense and bring back the old behaviour?

diddl14
Jul 25, 2012, 10:54 AM
Looks like scrolling in pages with animated GIF's finally seem to work smoothly.

blackboxxx
Jul 25, 2012, 10:57 AM
They released Safari 5.1.7 today for Windows.

Nope, 5.1.7 was released a couple months ago.

If you go to the Safari download page, http://www.apple.com/safari/download/, you get redirected back to http://www.apple.com/safari/ and there's no download link.

On http://www.apple.com/downloads/ there's no longer any mention of neither Safari nor QuickTime.

It's official, Safari for Windows is dead.

blackboxxx
Jul 25, 2012, 11:22 AM
By the way, it's interesting to note that there are still RSS images in the app bundle, and they even have retina versions.

nemaslov
Jul 25, 2012, 11:26 AM
I just downloaded on my iMac and there is no longer an empty cache?? Where did it go and how you to empty it now? I went over to my Macbook that still has the older Safari and it's there???

Anyone??

jkelly17
Jul 25, 2012, 11:27 AM
I just installed the Safari 6 update and now the Safari application crashes every time I try to open it. Does this happen to anyone else?

Taipan
Jul 25, 2012, 11:34 AM
On a side note, does anyone think that the prevalence of the number 6 in recent products (iOS6, Safari 6) implies that the 6th generation iPhone will be called the iPhone 6?

I'm sure that many of those who were absolutely sure that an iPhone with an A5 chip and iOS5 would NEVER be called iPhone 4S do...

PharmD
Jul 25, 2012, 11:38 AM
Removing RSS from Safari and Mail really sucks. Half of my friend's blogs were in RSS as well as many of my favorite sites. Bad move Apple!

Clix Pix
Jul 25, 2012, 11:50 AM
"Empty Cache" has now been moved to the "Develop" dropdown menu and it offers the option of "empty caches" [sic] or "disable caches" [sic]. To show the "Develop" menu in the menu bar, go to Safari > Preferences > Advanced and checkmark the box that says "Show Develop Menu in Menu Bar."

adream
Jul 25, 2012, 11:53 AM
"Empty Cache" has now been moved to the "Develop" dropdown menu and it offers the option of "empty caches" [sic] or "disable caches" [sic].

thats a really stupid new feature, yet again apple hiding or removing useful and important power user options... i despair :-(

AppleDApp
Jul 25, 2012, 11:57 AM
I have 10.7.4 on my machine and downloaded the safari 6 beta a while ago. I had an issue with the beta a few weeks back. I tried to get the safari 6 update thru Software update and it's not there. Can someone give me a direct link to safari 6 for Lion?

nemaslov
Jul 25, 2012, 12:10 PM
thats a really stupid new feature, yet again apple hiding or removing useful and important power user options... i despair :-(

I a thousand years I would never have found that!!???!

----------

"Empty Cache" has now been moved to the "Develop" dropdown menu and it offers the option of "empty caches" [sic] or "disable caches" [sic]. To show the "Develop" menu in the menu bar, go to Safari > Preferences > Advanced and checkmark the box that says "Show Develop Menu in Menu Bar."

Thank you. I would NEVER have figured that out. The Develop menu should have been default ON and then you could turn off if you so desired. Who is gonna ever figure that one out??

johan.k
Jul 25, 2012, 12:12 PM

Anybody could clarify whether this feature missing in ML?... In OSX Lion - yes, it's missing... Pls bring it back Apple!...

valexa
Jul 25, 2012, 12:42 PM
You're kidding!? This was the best way to download files.... Any alternative?

file requests on bugreport.apple.com to get it back

vohdoun
Jul 25, 2012, 12:44 PM

It doesn't even make sense that it's also gone from the reset Safari window.

valexa
Jul 25, 2012, 12:44 PM
Anybody could clarify whether this feature missing in ML?... In OSX Lion - yes, it's missing... Pls bring it back Apple!...
Missing in safari 6, independent of operating system

azentropy
Jul 25, 2012, 12:46 PM
Removing RSS from Safari and Mail really sucks. Half of my friend's blogs were in RSS as well as many of my favorite sites. Bad move Apple!

I agree. I really missed it when using the Developer builds of Mountain Lion, but I was hoping it just wasn't added back in yet. I really use it a lot in Safari to notify me of changes to certain forums/posts (like MacRumors, MLBTradeRumors etc.). For example it would place a number (1) in the bookmarks bar when MacRumors posted a new article or when MLBTradeRumors posted an article on my Diamondbacks feed.

Guess I need to find a different method.

jamieg
Jul 25, 2012, 12:48 PM
Really disappointing with the RSS features disappearing from Safari :mad: Woudn't have updated if I'd known. RSS links open up in Mail now. No use for me. Will be switching to Firefox :(

geeman89
Jul 25, 2012, 12:50 PM
I have 10.7.4 on my machine and downloaded the safari 6 beta a while ago. I had an issue with the beta a few weeks back. I tried to get the safari 6 update thru Software update and it's not there. Can someone give me a direct link to safari 6 for Lion?

I have the same problem. Hopefully Apple will have a link on the Safari page of their website later.

AppleDApp
Jul 25, 2012, 12:51 PM

I have the same problem. Hopefully Apple will have a link on the Safari page of their website later.

I just called AppleCare and they confirmed that the latest Safari update was not yet on there support website.

AirThis
Jul 25, 2012, 01:00 PM
Google search bar has gone. It's been merged with the main address bar. This is now called smart search field by Apple. I tried customizing the toolbar but I just don't see any option for putting it back. The search functionality is still there, but I just don't like the new layout.

This is what I'm referring to:

http://www.apple.com/safari/#search

adream
Jul 25, 2012, 01:02 PM
Google search bar has gone. It's been merged with the main address bar. This is now called smart search field by Apple. I tried customizing the toolbar but I just don't see any option for putting it back. The search functionality is still there, but I just don't like the new layout.

This is what I'm referring to:

http://www.apple.com/safari/#search

it makes searching for urls or bits of urls a real pain in the arse

fail +1

superduperdom
Jul 25, 2012, 01:04 PM
keeps crashing after installing. Would not allow me to restore windows. What a pain. How to go back ?

vohdoun
Jul 25, 2012, 01:13 PM
Why can't Safari 6 not handle animated gif's all that well? like Firefox. Some still have black transparency like 5.17 and laggy scrolling while in view.

dcorban
Jul 25, 2012, 01:27 PM
One great change is the order of the items listed in the address bar drop-down. Now, bookmarks are listed near the top. This is very welcome, as I usually just type part of the bookmark name to find bookmarks I use infrequently.

duncyboy
Jul 25, 2012, 01:36 PM
Just installed Safari 6 with Lion on my old iMac and have to say it is a MASSIVE improvement for me. Much faster and much smoother. Definitely a step in the right direction :)

CplBadboy
Jul 25, 2012, 01:48 PM
All joking aside with regards to it feels snappier. It actually does. Im running an 2.1 Blackbook (no ML for me though :( but the upgrade to Safari 6 is welcome :)

segfaultdotorg
Jul 25, 2012, 02:09 PM
Don't like the wider tabs at all. Is there any way to turn that off?

DakotaGuy
Jul 25, 2012, 02:18 PM
If you were to say that Safari seems snappier you would be correct and this time it is no joke! Great update and fast!:)

diddl14
Jul 25, 2012, 02:35 PM
Really disappointing with the RSS features disappearing from Safari :mad: Woudn't have updated if I'd known. RSS links open up in Mail now. No use for me. Will be switching to Firefox :(

And with Mountain Lion, Mail also no longer supports RSS...

Safari 6 shows a message with link to download any of the RSS readers available on the AppStore.

ghettochris
Jul 25, 2012, 02:38 PM

The activity view disapearing is lame. I have found keepvid.com works for youtube and vimeo videos, but I have to use download helper or something in firefox to get liveleak videos without activity view, and not sure if it works as often or for misc things as the activity view, and nothing like it for safari that I know of.

wtf apple. :mad:

hexor
Jul 25, 2012, 02:51 PM
The activity view disapearing is lame. I have found keepvid.com works for youtube and vimeo videos, but I have to use download helper or something in firefox to get liveleak videos without activity view, and not sure if it works as often or for misc things as the activity view, and nothing like it for safari that I know of.

This really sucks.. what was the problem leaving it in there? Between this and the search in the address I am not sure I like safari anymore.

hexor
Jul 25, 2012, 03:02 PM
It appears the download rate that used to show up in the same line with how much of a file has been downloaded has also been removed.

lozion
Jul 25, 2012, 03:22 PM

Maybe you can try this: Flash cache saver, works for me...

http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Internet-Utilities/Flash-Cache-Saver.shtml

FightTheFuture
Jul 25, 2012, 03:26 PM

Use Chrome's Developer tools > Network until someone finds a workaround.

This is a big problem for me. I'm wondering if we can make a copy of Safari 5.1.7 and keep it alongside 6.0.

roadbloc
Jul 25, 2012, 03:30 PM
Interesting. No Windows update. I guess they finally accepted that it was ****.

afd
Jul 25, 2012, 04:35 PM
And with Mountain Lion, Mail also no longer supports RSS...

Safari 6 shows a message with link to download any of the RSS readers available on the AppStore.

Anyone recommend a good RSS reader? Apart from Safari 5....

NedBookPro
Jul 25, 2012, 05:14 PM
Can someone suggest an answer:

Why, why, why does safari not have the option to "ask where to download" option for file downloading??? It is handy to be able to choose destination rather than having it set to a single destination.

Every other browser has this. Why does apple refuse to put this into safari?

It's honestly the ONLY reason I don't use it, but would if it had this feature.

:confused::confused::confused:

bigwig
Jul 25, 2012, 05:19 PM
I use NetNewsWire (http://netnewswireapp.com/). It's a good app, but I don't like the fact that since the big splash regarding Black Pixel buying NetNewsWire they've made no updates in 9 months. Why they'd buy it only to make it appear to be abandonware I don't know, but that's what it feels like.

Michaelgtrusa
Jul 25, 2012, 05:21 PM
I see better memory usage.

afd
Jul 25, 2012, 05:21 PM
right click on the link?

afd
Jul 25, 2012, 05:43 PM
I use NetNewsWire (http://netnewswireapp.com/). It's a good app, but I don't like the fact that since the big splash regarding Black Pixel buying NetNewsWire they've made no updates in 9 months. Why they'd buy it only to make it appear to be abandonware I don't know, but that's what it feels like.

Thanks. will give it a go. Don't know why they took it away, it makes perfect sense to have feeds in your browser.

"MT-NewsWatcher" can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer. Hmm

abz1981
Jul 25, 2012, 07:08 PM
hey all
dont know if anyone else noticed this. however the new safari on lion was much faster, however now i have mountain lion, it seems to be slower loading up web pages. its like you get that blue mark going from left to right on the address bar, a little slower. anyone else having this problem?

The Phazer
Jul 25, 2012, 07:18 PM
You should upgrade. Apple stopped support for Snow Leopard. There will be no security updates anymore.

Lion is a security risk as it introduces Versions, so he's entirely right not to.

bigchrisfgb
Jul 25, 2012, 07:22 PM
Initial load up is slow, everything else is fast.

Rychiar
Jul 25, 2012, 08:25 PM
ever since i installed the background tiles in words with friends are blank white:mad:

AppleDApp
Jul 25, 2012, 08:44 PM

I like to use Google reader. I usually have it set as my homepage. and leave the tab open most of the day to check on my RSS Feeds.

DDustiNN
Jul 25, 2012, 10:11 PM
Holy crap, these GIANT tabs are 100% terrible. Wtf, Apple? I want the regular tabs back. They were much easier to manage that way.

DJTaurus
Jul 25, 2012, 11:56 PM
Has anyone found a quick button combo (in the keyboard) for Reader in Safari?..... Reader is placed far in top right of Safari and i dont want to scroll up there and hit it...

Casiotone
Jul 25, 2012, 11:56 PM
Safari is definitely really snappier on my old 2007 Mac mini.

One other thing, is it me or Youtube now automatically switches to its new HTML5 player with Safari 6?

That's nice and all for HTML5 and open standards, but unfortunately the HTML5 player is simply unusable fullscreen on this Mac (less than 1 fps), even playing a 360p video. The Flash version can play 720p video without a hitch.

So I had to go to the Youtube HTML5 page and "leave the beta" to get the Flash player back.

Anyone can verify that this Youtube switch to HMTL5 is happening on Safari 6?

bpaluzzi
Jul 26, 2012, 03:27 AM

I a thousand years I would never have found that!!???!

Thank you. I would NEVER have figured that out. The Develop menu should have been default ON and then you could turn off if you so desired. Who is gonna ever figure that one out??

"Who is gonna ever figure that one out??" - How about every power user? The whole idea of power user features is that they're NOT visible for normal users. Having the develop menu ON by default is a horrible idea.

1. Safari->Develop->Inspector (command-alt-i)
2. Stopwatch icon in top left corner
3. Network requests

On that topic, the new Developer Inspector is a mixed bag -- it's now really, REALLY powerful (showing steps / time breakdowns for render steps, showing the actual DOM tree, etc.), but it's a horrible design compromise. It's absolutely unusable unless it's filling up >50% screen width. I used to have Safari and the Inspector both set to exactly 50% width, which would give me a nice 960px Safari window, and the inspector fully visible. Now, with all of the horizontal space taken up by sub menus, the network activity pane is absolutely unusable. 1cm wide columns with all text shortened by ellipsis. Not a fan. Will have to use more horizontal split layout now, which is not great for web dev IMO.

Lion is a security risk as it introduces Versions, so he's entirely right not to.

Please. Yawn. Go ahead and explain how Versions is a security risk. I know you're DYING to go on a rant, so consider your hook bit.

PgherinLev
Jul 26, 2012, 04:15 AM
Tried to revert back to Safari 5 because I don't care for the Unibar and fat tabs - no can do. Safari cannot be removed or modified because it is required by OS X (or something to that effect).

Trymee
Jul 26, 2012, 04:38 AM
Can someone suggest an answer:

Why, why, why does safari not have the option to "ask where to download" option for file downloading??? It is handy to be able to choose destination rather than having it set to a single destination.

Every other browser has this. Why does apple refuse to put this into safari?

It's honestly the ONLY reason I don't use it, but would if it had this feature.

:confused::confused::confused:

Two finger tap, or right click > select Download linked file as > specify location

If you don't want to use the default Download folder and use another specific folder, set up a folder action - your downloads will go to that folder.

----------

Has anyone found a quick button combo (in the keyboard) for Reader in Safari?..... Reader is placed far in top right of Safari and i dont want to scroll up there and hit it...

Is and always has been ⌘-shift-R - look in the Menus, keyboard shortcuts are listed right next to the action, if there isn't one listed you can create your own in System Preferences > Keyboard

if you use the excellent free BetterTouchTool you can program any swipe or tap you like, for years I have used 4 finger tap to enter and leave reader - couldn't live without it.

AnonMac50
Jul 26, 2012, 04:57 AM
Actually, about the new Safari, I dislike the omnibar, the large tabs, and the removal of the Activity Window. I'll probably. I'll just have Safari 5.1.7 running on Mountain Lion if I can.

AnonMac50
Jul 26, 2012, 05:16 AM
Safari is definitely really snappier on my old 2007 Mac mini.

One other thing, is it me or Youtube now automatically switches to its new HTML5 player with Safari 6?

That's nice and all for HTML5 and open standards, but unfortunately the HTML5 player is simply unusable fullscreen on this Mac (less than 1 fps), even playing a 360p video. The Flash version can play 720p video without a hitch.

So I had to go to the Youtube HTML5 page and "leave the beta" to get the Flash player back.

Anyone can verify that this Youtube switch to HMTL5 is happening on Safari 6?

It happens with Safari 5 on my MBP with Snow Leopard. And I KEEP having to change it.

----------

Tried to revert back to Safari 5 because I don't care for the Unibar and fat tabs - no can do. Safari cannot be removed or modified because it is required by OS X (or something to that effect).

But does Safari 5 work? I guess you could also use Terminal to delete Safari 6.

valexa
Jul 26, 2012, 06:53 AM
1. Safari->Develop->Inspector (command-alt-i)
2. Stopwatch icon in top left corner
3. Network requests

Network requests does not show the same data as the regretted "activity" window, it only shows request until the page finished loading.

bpaluzzi
Jul 26, 2012, 07:00 AM
Network requests does not show the same data as the regretted "activity" window, it only shows request until the page finished loading.

Click the "record" button - the grey circle to the right of "Timelines". That will persist network requests as long as you'd like them.

goosnarrggh
Jul 26, 2012, 07:45 AM
Any word on 10.6 support? I hope so.

I believe you'll find that Snow Leopard today will probably be in just about the same position Leopard occupied last year.

They'll keep on issuing new versions of iTunes for a while, and they may put out the odd patch for an extremely high profile security exploit. Otherwise, you'll probably find that Apple's support for 10.6 will dry up extremely quickly.

Zimmy68
Jul 26, 2012, 08:23 AM
Finally!

Coming from a Windows background, being to be able to click in the address bar and the whole address is selected (so you can easily type and replace) is something I waited for.
Before, for some reason, Safari would put the cursor where you clicked.
No other browser had this behavior.

That is the way I prefer to browse, click in the address bar and start typing.
I hope they update the iOs version to do the same.

My question...

Do you need to set up cloud tabs someway?

I click on it on my MacBook Pro and it doesn't show (or try) the tabs that are open on my iPad.

michaelant
Jul 26, 2012, 09:42 AM
I'm running Safari 6 on Lion, and it's much faster.

But in my Top Sites, they no longer update with a star in the corner once a site has updated info on it. Anyone else missing the stars since upgrading to Safari 6 on Lion?

sebastiannz
Jul 26, 2012, 09:49 AM
Zimmy: the ipad and iphone icloud tab function won't work until iOS 6. At the moment it only works with other macs with ML.

I really like the new Safari. It is *WAY* faster. I finally don't miss Chrome. And this is on a late 2010 13" MBP, not exactly a speedster these days. Even the omnibar thing works nice and smoothly.

And it finally has searchable field thing that Chrome has had for millions of years. I'm surprised this didn't come sooner but better late then never.

fiveainone
Jul 26, 2012, 11:46 AM
good thing Google didn't patent the smart search field eh?

Terrin
Jul 26, 2012, 12:45 PM
Holy crap, these GIANT tabs are 100% terrible. Wtf, Apple? I want the regular tabs back. They were much easier to manage that way.

We all have wants. I want Apple to give me the option to put the tabs back on top like in the Safari 4 beta.

Hangover
Jul 26, 2012, 12:48 PM
windows version please :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

nuckinfutz
Jul 26, 2012, 02:01 PM

They may not have been first. OmniWeb had a omnibar quite a long time ago.

klmaj
Jul 26, 2012, 05:00 PM
I tried this Safari nonsense many years ago and it was laughable so I would always remove it from the dock every time I got a new mac.

By sheer chance yesterday I thought okay I'm going to download Google Chrome I have to at least put up with a few moments of it to do so. I was just in awe, its simply fantastic. Everything I ever wanted in a browser and it works blisteringly fast for me on my new 2012 macbook pro with Intel 520 120 Gb SSD.

I have not bothered with Google Chrome. People I ditched Google Chrome. This is a major turning point in my online life as the browser is the most important thing for me on a machine.

I've done side by side image and speed tests with Google Chrome and Safari trumps Chrome every time.

I urge the whole mac fraternity to give Safari a chance as I did. It works so well on the new mountain lion with decent hardware!

^^BIGMac
Jul 26, 2012, 07:34 PM
I tried this Safari nonsense many years ago and it was laughable so I would always remove it from the dock every time I got a new mac.

By sheer chance yesterday I thought okay I'm going to download Google Chrome I have to at least put up with a few moments of it to do so. I was just in awe, its simply fantastic. Everything I ever wanted in a browser and it works blisteringly fast for me on my new 2012 macbook pro with Intel 520 120 Gb SSD.

I have not bothered with Google Chrome. People I ditched Google Chrome. This is a major turning point in my online life as the browser is the most important thing for me on a machine.

I've done side by side image and speed tests with Google Chrome and Safari trumps Chrome every time.

I urge the whole mac fraternity to give Safari a chance as I did. It works so well on the new mountain lion with decent hardware!So you're saying it's "snappier"? ;)

klmaj
Jul 26, 2012, 10:21 PM
So you're saying it's "snappier"? ;)

I think the term snappy is rather vague. If you do a side to side with Google Chrome you will notice that images become choppy as you scroll down a picture intensive page. This is not the case on Safari. Even though I have a non retina display the resolution on safari seems to be more sharper evidently than Chrome. I do have quite a love affair with Chrome and will use it on my mac mini but for my macbook safari rules. For me its the perfect software application running on hardware designed to compliment it.

Is it faster than Chrome? Maybe not, but there are minute fractions of a second in it I'd say either way so I'm not bothered. For me its as fast and silky smooth to operate, pleasing on the eye and pretty damn cool.

bpaluzzi
Jul 27, 2012, 02:21 AM
After using it some more, the new developer inspector pane is _awful_. They've fundamentally broken the ability to use the network pane to interrogate requests. No way to see if it's a GET or a POST, awful formatting / hiding of the actual URL, and no consistent way to view the response. I had been using Chrome as my daily driver and Safari as my dev browser, but this update has made Safari impossible to use for dev. Back to Firefox + Firebug / HTTPFox. Bleh.

Mason
Jul 27, 2012, 12:31 PM
I'd like smaller tabs and my search window back. Is there any way to restore these?

DDustiNN
Jul 27, 2012, 01:26 PM
I'd like smaller tabs and my search window back. Is there any way to restore these?

Yeah I also dislike the combined search/address bar, like Google Chrome does. I have no idea why people like that - it's just annoying. If I want to search for something, that is not the same as me knowing an address I want to type in. It just makes it annoying to look at the predictive list when both results are combined.

AppleDApp
Jul 27, 2012, 01:59 PM
I don't understand why Apple does not post a download link for Safari 6 (lion) on their website. I had to get Safari 6 from some random third party website.

jojo0815
Jul 27, 2012, 02:43 PM
Hi all,

just a stupid question from my side:

Is there any disadvantage in using the new "do not track" option in safari 6?

I wonder why it is not activated by default...?

blackboxxx
Jul 27, 2012, 04:05 PM
Hi all,

just a stupid question from my side:

Is there any disadvantage in using the new "do not track" option in safari 6?

I wonder why it is not activated by default...?

The "disadvantage" (or advantage, depending on your views), assuming the ad companies actually honor the DNT header, is that you might see less relevant ads. It shouldn't affect any normal functionality.

It's not on by default because it's supposed to be an expression of user's preference to opt out of tracking. Microsoft tried to make it active by default in IE10, and then had to back track less than a week later because the ad companies were terrified that it would destroy their business.

vohdoun
Jul 27, 2012, 04:35 PM

It's even more faster on Mountain Lion.

Lucky736
Jul 27, 2012, 04:39 PM
It's even more faster on Mountain Lion.

More better! More snappier! ;) :D

MattAtlanta
Jul 27, 2012, 09:23 PM
Yeah I also dislike the combined search/address bar, like Google Chrome does. I have no idea why people like that - it's just annoying. If I want to search for something, that is not the same as me knowing an address I want to type in. It just makes it annoying to look at the predictive list when both results are combined.

I have to concur.. it sucks that the "smart bar" or whatever is all inclusive. Definitely not liking the new layout.

vohdoun
Jul 28, 2012, 03:16 AM
I have to concur.. it sucks that the "smart bar" or whatever is all inclusive. Definitely not liking the new layout.

It was cluttered though. You get used to it. I had always wanted this layout on Safari, as I always had gotten rid of the search bar in other browsers.

steve-p
Jul 28, 2012, 03:20 AM
I'm getting used to it, although I don't see the need for everyone to copy Chrome. At least they didn't also put the tabs on top which looks stupid.

FishNrib
Jul 28, 2012, 08:49 PM
Anyone try and download a video from Youtube after the update to Safari 6?:(

At least Firefox with Video Download Helper can still get the job done with OSX 10.8.;)

sebastiannz
Jul 29, 2012, 05:10 AM

living up to their motto :)

vohdoun
Jul 29, 2012, 07:33 AM
I'm getting used to it, although I don't see the need for everyone to copy Chrome. At least they didn't also put the tabs on top which looks stupid.

Nobody copies anyone? the last I saw most copies each other. OS remixes. _

I agree about the tabs on top. They're hideous. Even Firefox does it by default. Then Firefox chasing Google's numbering system.

HenryAZ
Jul 30, 2012, 12:15 PM
It appears new features and "snappiness" were not the only compelling reasons for this update:

US-CERT Vulnerability Summary for the Week of July 23, 2012 (http://www.us-cert.gov/cas/bulletins/SB12-212.html)

Lucky736
Jul 30, 2012, 06:20 PM
Thanks for updating the Snow Leopard users to 6.0 Apple. :rolleyes:

G4DP
Jul 31, 2012, 02:42 PM
Well version 6.0 is a crock! It has just gone completely boob's up! Will not even load. Crashes on mouse click. A complete ***** joke.

When you try and restore and old version it tells you that it cannot do it. Cannot find an old version to go with either! Damn Annoying!

Well it can't even restore from a time machine back up! Way to go! I can no longer use Safari at all without starting from scratch again!

Not happy right now, not in the mood to be messing around with a system re-install!

Psychopulse
Aug 3, 2012, 05:14 AM
And the activity window is no more there. Seriously Apple? :-/

klmaj
Aug 3, 2012, 09:04 AM
Well version 6.0 is a crock! It has just gone completely boob's up! Will not even load. Crashes on mouse click. A complete ***** joke.

When you try and restore and old version it tells you that it cannot do it. Cannot find an old version to go with either! Damn Annoying!

Well it can't even restore from a time machine back up! Way to go! I can no longer use Safari at all without starting from scratch again!

Not happy right now, not in the mood to be messing around with a system re-install!

How old is ya mac? I'm on a 2012 Macbook Pro 13" and it works flawlessly. Its so slick it gives me motion sickness when I scroll down on a graphics intensive page, I kid you not!

G4DP
Aug 4, 2012, 11:10 AM
How old is ya mac? I'm on a 2012 Macbook Pro 13" and it works flawlessly. Its so slick it gives me motion sickness when I scroll down on a graphics intensive page, I kid you not!

2008 Mac Pro, so the machine isn't the problem, Apple's shoddy attention to its computers is starting to show.

D.T.
Aug 4, 2012, 12:08 PM
And the activity window is no more there. Seriously Apple? :-/

I believe it's all rolled up under the Web Inspector (there's page/dom/scripts [easy to find video streams under Other or Frames], cookies, network that shows activity [like a streaming file], etc.)

CK1Czar
Aug 4, 2012, 12:26 PM
I'm using it on Lion and whenever I try to open other pages in tabs, the browser will just close. Anyone else having this problem?

hobo.hopkins
Aug 4, 2012, 02:42 PM

At least Firefox with Video Download Helper can still get the job done with OSX 10.8.;)

I noticed this. I'm very disappointed - I used that feature very often.

I believe it's all rolled up under the Web Inspector (there's page/dom/scripts [easy to find video streams under Other or Frames], cookies, network that shows activity [like a streaming file], etc.)

Thanks for sharing; I didn't know that.

montycat
Aug 5, 2012, 08:18 PM

Thanks!!! Didn't know about Video Dowload Helper. It works great. Great alternative :D

scottwaugh
Aug 12, 2012, 10:30 PM

But in my Top Sites, they no longer update with a star in the corner once a site has updated info on it. Anyone else missing the stars since upgrading to Safari 6 on Lion?

Yes, everyone who has v6.0 will have this. The Top Sites page update indicator (such a great situational awareness tool if you want it) used RSS to determine if the pages had updated. Since Apple ripped RSS out of Safari V6 (and its underlying support out of Mountain Lion - which is probably why Safari lost it), the Top Sites update indicator was killed as well.

I'd like to think Apple would add this back (they have the model for a browser enclosed version from their Windows Safari which contained all the plumbing in the browser), but I wouldn't bet a cent on it.

Those who really want it back and are running Lion, if you can grab a copy of the Safari v5.1.7 package from a machine that hasn't been updated to Safari v6 (Snow Leopard machines didn't get v6 and some folks will have it in time machine), you can copy it to a new directory (so it doesn't overwrite v6) in the Applications folder (only on Lion) and it will run (RSS will be back as well) - do not run both versions at the same time though as they use the same supporting files and corruption issues would be waiting - I'd guess the best course of action would be to only run the same one all the time so there's less chance for issues.

Folks on Mountain Lion are stuck short of rolling back to Lion and running v 5.1.7 (might be worth it to a few out there).

True bummer for the folks that liked this feature nobody else has.

smithchristine
Sep 14, 2012, 10:14 AM
According to techisky, there is no other way to download YouTube videos on Safari 6 (activity windows is removed from Safari). To download YouTube videos in FLV, even 1080p/720p MP4, one can install FastestTube Safari Extension.

Here is the detailed solution:
http://www.techisky.com/answers/can-i-download-youtube-flv-videos-in-safari-6-on-mountain-lion.html

Edgecrusherr
Dec 15, 2012, 11:32 PM

Security updates aren't really all that important to me for every reasons. Our computers aren't really browsing the internet and installing non-print and production software. I upgraded my machine (Mac Pro 2009) to 10.8 a few weeks ago and it took a hit on performance. I'm very disappointed. 10.6 is still the king, I wont be upgrading any more machines any time soon.