PDA

View Full Version : Roundup of OS X Mountain Lion Reviews: 'Faster and Smoother', 'Incremental', 'Bargain at Twice the Price'

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Jul 25, 2012, 08:36 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/25/roundup-of-os-x-mountain-lion-reviews-faster-and-smoother-incremental-bargain-at-twice-the-price/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/07/mountainlion-150x149.png

With Apple having launched OS X Mountain Lion (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/25/apple-launches-os-x-mountain-lion-via-mac-app-store-for-19-99/) to the public today, reviews of the company's latest Mac operating system have begun pouring in. Many of the reviews are quite extensive, but we've selected a few choice excerpts to highlight general reaction to the release.

- John Siracusa, Ars Technica (http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/07/os-x-10-8/)The Mac is a platform in transition. In Lion, OS X began shedding the well-worn trappings of traditional desktop computing at an accelerated rate. This trend continues in Mountain Lion. Where Lion stumbled, Mountain Lion regroups and tries again--while still forging bravely ahead in other areas.

As the second major refinement-focused release, it's easy to view OS X 10.8 as "what 10.7 should have been." The flip side of this argument is that the real-world mileage we've all put on Lion has helped Apple make the right kinds of adjustments in Mountain Lion. If we'd had to wait for two years after 10.6 for the next major release of OS X, chances are good that the worst of the missteps in Lion would just be landing on our doorsteps today. I'll take 10.8, thanks.- Jason Snell, Macworld (http://www.macworld.com/article/1167804/mountain_lion_apple_gets_its_operating_systems_in_sync.html)All told, I found Mountain Lion to be a stable, solid release. Even prerelease builds were far more stable than I've come to expect from OS X betas, leading me to wonder if Apple's new annual schedule is leading to more careful incremental updates (with fewer bugs) rather than great leaps (with more, nastier bugs).- Nilay Patel, The Verge (http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/25/3185644/mac-os-x-10-8-mountain-lion-review)Ultimately, this is pretty easy: you should spend the $20 and upgrade to Mountain Lion, especially if you have a newer Mac. You'll gain a handful of must-have features, and everything will get faster and smoother. I haven't really missed Snow Leopard at all since upgrading, which is remarkable considering how much I disliked Lion.http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/07/os_x_mountain_lion_macbook_air_imac.jpg

- Brian Heater, Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/25/apple-os-x-mountain-lion-10-8-review/)Taken as a whole, the features mark a fairly aggressive bid to fold the best of OS X and iOS into one product -- a strategy we first saw with the introduction of the Mac App Store on Snow Leopard, and with the arrival of Launchpad last year in Lion. [...]

That said, it seems time for Apple to make a bold new pronouncement on the desktop front. The company appears to have most of its resources invested in the mobile side -- and there's no question as to why: the iPhone and iPad have reinvigorated the company, making it a computing player on a scale that no one (save, perhaps, for Jobs himself) could have predicted a decade ago. Still, it might be hard for OS X users not to feel neglected -- many of the latest new features feel a bit like iOS hand-me-downs. When and if Apple rolls out a new operating system this time next year, hopefully we'll be seeing a very different side of Mac OS.- Jim Dalrymple, The Loop (http://www.loopinsight.com/2012/07/25/apple-releases-os-x-mountain-lion/)There will be tens of thousands of words published on Wednesday when Mountain Lion hits the Mac App Store, but let's face it, what you really want to know is whether Mountain Lion is worth the upgrade. Let's get that out of the way now -- yes, it is definitely worth it.

Mountain Lion costs $19.99 and comes with more than 200 new features -- that's a bargain at twice the price.http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/07/os_x_mountain_lion_banner.jpg

- Jesus Diaz, Gizmodo (http://gizmodo.com/5928783/mountain-lion-review-os-x-needs-a-new-vision)If Apple doesn't want Microsoft to steal their innovation crown with Windows 8 Metro, they urgently need a new vision that breaks with this unholy mix of obsolete 1980s user interface heritage and iOS full screen skeumorphism.

It feels like Apple has run out of ideas. Or worse, that Apple is too afraid to implement new concepts, fearing it will kill the company's golden goose. Too afraid to change the world once again, as Steve Jobs used to say, one desktop at a time.- MG Siegler, TechCrunch (http://techcrunch.com/2012/07/25/os-x-mountain-lion-review/)It must be said that Mountain Lion isn't really all that different from Lion -- hence, the variation of the name (even though mountain lions are technically cougars -- insert joke here). But unlike the jump from Leopard to Snow Leopard, which focused on performance and tightening code rather than features, the jump from Lion to Mountain Lion does pack some new goodies. [..]

In a time when Microsoft is just about to upend their entire OS with their biggest change (and bet) yet in Windows 8, Apple has taken a much more refined approach. Perhaps they take some criticism for this, or perhaps they're just being savvy. OS X remains a great OS, and sprinkled with some of the best elements of iOS, it still feels pretty fresh. Not bad for an eleven year old big cat.

Article Link: Roundup of OS X Mountain Lion Reviews: 'Faster and Smoother', 'Incremental', 'Bargain at Twice the Price' (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/25/roundup-of-os-x-mountain-lion-reviews-faster-and-smoother-incremental-bargain-at-twice-the-price/)

d4rkc4sm
Jul 25, 2012, 08:37 AM
best os to date

jasonxneo
Jul 25, 2012, 08:38 AM
best os to date

I beg to differ :o

Mac21ND
Jul 25, 2012, 08:41 AM
Disagree with Gizmodo. Windows 8 is a nice idea, but man it's going to confuse the living heck out of lots of casual Windows users. (Like the secretaries in my office. I feel bad for our IT department.)

Marbles1
Jul 25, 2012, 08:42 AM
Has anyone noticed that 'Lion' is now missing from their Purchases list in the Mac App Store? I can't opt to install it anymore from there.

KPOM
Jul 25, 2012, 08:44 AM
Disagree with Gizmodo. Windows 8 is a nice idea, but man it's going to confuse the living heck out of lots of casual Windows users. (Like the secretaries in my office. I feel bad for our IT department.)

Gizmodo has been anti-Apple ever since the company sued them and banned them from media events (after Gizmodo refused to return a stolen iPhone 4 prototype). Apple could create a fountain of youth and Gizmodo would complain that it only adds 10 years to your life instead of 20.

cwwilson
would love to try it on a quad core.

l.w41sh
All of us who tried to get it on Monday got screwed!

Apple is planning on sending out new emails to all of us, but all they said was TODAY.

slu
No new iMac, no Mountain Lion for me. Not that I have a choice, but my machine is not eligible. But I sure dislike Lion, so I will upgrade as soon as I am able to buy a new machine.

SpiderDude
Jul 25, 2012, 08:45 AM
"Uh uh, skeumorphism this and skeumorphic that."
They finally came up with a fancy word to throw back at Apple.

Also, please bring back the downvoting. I'm pretty sure lot's of people wouldn't agree with what I said...

Mac'on

dra
ML rocks iOS on my desktop whoop whoop

Menopause
Dear MG Siegler of TechCrunch,

You're way too high, it's time you passed on the weed.

Mac21ND
Gizmodo has been anti-Apple ever since the company sued them and banned them from media events (after Gizmodo refused to return a stolen iPhone 4 prototype). Apple could create a fountain of youth and Gizmodo would complain that it only adds 10 years to your life instead of 20.

Agreed - I'm waiting for the Macolope to skewer them on MacWorld for their comment.

TimAlia
Jul 25, 2012, 08:47 AM
I'll post a review if it ever finishes downloading...

ksgant
Jul 25, 2012, 08:48 AM

Yes, I doubt you'll ever see a positive review from Gizmodo about Apple ever again. Shame they can't divorce themselves from their trollish behavior, admit they were wrong, and try to go forward as legit journalists. But since this is Jesus Diaz writing the review, I guess he's still a little miffed that his house was roused from a search warrant during his and Gizmodo's iPhone fiasco.

Agreed - I'm waiting for the Macolope to skewer them on MacWorld for their comment.

I'm sure John Gruber will skewer them on Daring Fireball AND as the Macalope. These are usually the times where you can read between the lines that he writes the Macalope columns.

Hexiii
Jul 25, 2012, 08:49 AM
and 'Unable to download'

moabal
Jul 25, 2012, 08:50 AM
I mean the Gizmodo people are right. Apple is out of ideas. Take a look at any real fundamental differences between Leopard and Mountain Lion. The only difference is black/white UI, speed improvements, and an attempt to synergize Mac OSX and iOS. With mountian lion, they have added all the possible iOS things in Mac OSX. Besides more security and speed improvements, they are out of ideas.

Furthermore, the difference in iOS 5 to iOS 6 further show this. They have no ideas that they are forced to make the UI (especially in phone) look bad. Also, besides Passbook, there is nothing groundbreaking.

Same with Microsoft as well. There was nothing they could do to improve Windows 7 so they had to start from scratch. I personally like Windows 7 type of productivity better. But if they stuck that route, like Apple they would have no ideas. No point of fixing something that aint broke.

The fact is it just seems there is a technological road block.

Matti
Jul 25, 2012, 08:51 AM
Looks like Im still gonna stay with my ancient 10.6 install.

Lion didn't add anything I wanted. Read the Gizmodo review and it looks like the iOSification continues. Ill update once they add something relevant for proper desktop computer use on my iMac

macnerd93
Frankly I never listen to apparent tech experts/reviewers. I feel I can make my mind up on my own if the product is good or not. You don't ever know if these apparent experts are paid by companies to slander a competitors product or even paid by the company who's product it is to praise it.

Mountain lion seems a good upgrade, from my experience with windows 8 so far, its been a confusing one at that.

FFArchitect
In another story, Gizmodo trolls with a $20 upgrade and hitches its wagon to Windows.

ristlin
Jul 25, 2012, 08:52 AM
Has anyone noticed that 'Lion' is now missing from their Purchases list in the Mac App Store? I can't opt to install it anymore from there.

Yeah, just noticed that. I think Apple is taking their "purge the old" a little too far. We bought it, we should be able to revert back to Lion if we want to.

However, I suspect its only a temporary thing to help deal with server load while people migrate to Mountain Lion.

Mac21ND
Jul 25, 2012, 08:53 AM
Yes, I doubt you'll ever see a positive review from Gizmodo about Apple ever again. Shame they can't divorce themselves from their trollish behavior, admit they were wrong, and try to go forward as legit journalists. But since this is Jesus Diaz writing the review, I guess he's still a little miffed that his house was roused from a search warrant during his and Gizmodo's iPhone fiasco.

I'm sure John Gruber will skewer them on Daring Fireball AND as the Macalope. These are usually the times where you can read between the lines that he writes the Macalope columns.

The next thing you'll tell me is that there is no Santa Claus! :)

ksgant
Jul 25, 2012, 08:54 AM

Lion didn't add anything I wanted. Read the Gizmodo review and it looks like the iOSification continues. Ill update once they add something relevant for proper desktop computer use on my iMac

Read a real review and not something from a source with an axe to grind with Apple. The Ars review by John Siracusa is, as always, very comprehensive and deep. He's fair (he wasn't totally crazy about Lion) and very detailed.

pmz
Jul 25, 2012, 08:54 AM
No interest in reading reviews from a bunch of know-it-all hacks that think Snow Leopard is the great thing since Atari and thought that Lion was, in a word, flawed.

I despise anyone who believes Lion is in anyway meaningful way, "flawed"

Lion is nearly OS perfection, and Mountain Lion is the sequel. It's not "incremental" in anyway, it nearly doubles the feature set of Lion while improving every addition that came with Lion.

Out of ideas? Get a life people.

KPOM
Jul 25, 2012, 08:55 AM
Yeah, just noticed that. I think Apple is taking their "purge the old" a little too far. We bought it, we should be able to revert back to Lion if we want to.

However, I suspect its only a temporary thing to help deal with server load while people migrate to Mountain Lion.

Plus, there are still people running Macs on Snow Leopard capable of Lion but not Snow Leopard. I guess maybe Apple figures it's best to nudge them to buy a new Mac when they decide to upgrade.

SG457
At first I thought the title says 'faster and snappier' :p

nefan65

I don't think I'd make my decision based on one poor review?

pmz
Jul 25, 2012, 08:56 AM
I mean the Gizmodo people are right. Apple is out of ideas. Take a look at any real fundamental differences between Leopard and Mountain Lion. The only difference is black/white UI, speed improvements, and an attempt to synergize Mac OSX and iOS. With mountian lion, they have added all the possible iOS things in Mac OSX. Besides more security and speed improvements, they are out of ideas.

Furthermore, the difference in iOS 5 to iOS 6 further show this. They have no ideas that they are forced to make the UI (especially in phone) look bad. Also, besides Passbook, there is nothing groundbreaking.

Same with Microsoft as well. There was nothing they could do to improve Windows 7 so they had to start from scratch. I personally like Windows 7 type of productivity better. But if they stuck that route, like Apple they would have no ideas. No point of fixing something that aint broke.

Gizmodo is a pathetic joke, and is so your attempt to look like you understand and agree with their fake sentiment.

ristlin

At some point there is nothing else to improve and you add features that make the system worse. Everything about iOS is great, just think about how ubiquitous its setup is on every smartphone on the market and how anyone can pick it up and use it on the first day. Making things simpler has always been the goal of every engineer out there. Complexity isn't a good thing for a OS, we add enough of that ourselves with all the programs we run.

KPOM

If you have stolen merchandise in your house (that you paid $5000 for knowing it was stolen), don't be surprised if the police come knocking at your door.

ristlin
Jul 25, 2012, 08:57 AM
I don't think I'd make my decision based on one poor review?

One poor review from bitter reviewers on a sorry excuse of a site.

moabal
Jul 25, 2012, 08:57 AM
At some point there is nothing else to improve and you add features that make the system worse. Everything about iOS is great, just think about how ubiquitous its setup is on every smartphone on the market and how anyone can pick it up and use it on the first day. Making things simpler has always been the goal of every engineer out there. Complexity isn't a good thing for a OS, we add enough of that ourselves with all the programs we run.

I agree with you Mac OSX is great. Mountian Lion makes it even a little better. But I think overall, they are out of groundbreaking ideas like Dashboard and Expose ect.

FSMBP
Jul 25, 2012, 08:58 AM

The ironic thing is Gizmodo is spot on; for example, look at their criticism of fullscreen apps. I enjoy my Mac, but I feel that Apple doesn't 'wow' us anymore (but maybe my expectations are too high).

And John Gruber is very bias towards Apple. In his eyes, Apple can do no wrong (not literally, but you'll never see him call out Apple on anything that isn't a software bug).

macnerd93
Jul 25, 2012, 08:58 AM

Gizmodo shouldn't even be allowed to review anything made by Apple. Don't you remember the iPhone 4 prototype getting out in the open the other year? Gizmodo had something to do with it. Apple got them in rather serious trouble with the law and didn't houses get searched and computers seized? Although if I remember in the end Gizmodo were cleared, but its blatantly obvious they are slandering the product on purpose.

ristlin
Jul 25, 2012, 08:59 AM
If you have stolen merchandise in your house (that you paid $5000 for knowing it was stolen), don't be surprised if the police come knocking at your door.

Exactly, I mean WTF, does he think he can break the law just because he is a journalist? Freedom of speech doesn't mean you can buy stolen property, LOL.

Takeo
Jul 25, 2012, 09:00 AM
I didn't realize so many people hated Lion. Why do people hate Lion? I've never had an issue with it.

KdParker

Only takes a few minutes to get yourself used to Windows 8. Once I found the hidden menu bar on the right side (just hit side with pointer). Thing went smoothy from there.

They have a desktop panel so you can get the use and feel of the win7, but once you start using window8, the panels start to becoming useful.

MS did a good job with this upgrade.

ksgant
I agree with you Mac OSX is great. Mountian Lion makes it even a little better. But I think overall, they are out of groundbreaking ideas like Dashboard and Expose ect.

Okay, thanks for throwing that in so we can know you're trying to troll. :)

Lol...Dashboard being called "groundbreaking". Good one...

Mac21ND
We'll see new groundbreaking ideas when a new form factor dictates it. I.E. the iOS was groundbreaking because of the touch interface.

Perhaps the iTV (or whatever) would allow for that. As long as we're stuck to a keyboard and mouse, there's inherent limitations outside of, perhaps, voice control (which isn't all that new).

ristlin
Jul 25, 2012, 09:01 AM
The ironic thing is Gizmodo is spot on; for example, look at their criticism of fullscreen apps. I enjoy my Mac, but I feel that Apple doesn't 'wow' us anymore (but maybe my expectations are too high).

And John Gruber is very bias towards Apple. In his eyes, Apple can do no wrong (not literally, but you'll never see him call out Apple on anything that isn't a software bug).

Dude I don't know about you but I am all over full-screen apps. Example:

I run two 'desktops' with EVE Online, one with my e-mail client, one with Writer, another with Safari, and another with calendar. With a flick of my finger I can switch between EVE clients or shoot out an e-mail. Very cool stuff. :cool:

G51989
Jul 25, 2012, 09:01 AM
Looks like an improvement over the lion trainwreck

bklyn bruiser
Jul 25, 2012, 09:02 AM

Typical JizzModo.... Unless its a comment from them that's posted on a different site, I wouldn't even know the comment exist. I NEVER even look at their page.

moabal

Dashboard is more groundbreaking than Mission Control. And in Mountian Lion they add a search bar!!! Sigh... For real though stuff like Expose and Stacks that really changed how we use our computers. Apple is focusing on taking the only thing they do know now (iOS) and bring it to Mac. Other than that they have no ideas.

Cougarcat
Excited to read Siracusa's epic review. I look forward to them almost as much as the OS releases themselves.

Pretty sure he is not the Macalope. There was a Macworld predictions article that featured them both. (Unless he purposely came up with two completely different set of predictions in order to mislead people, which I suppose is possible.)

And as much as Diaz is clearly still bitter about the iPhone 4 fiasco, he is right that Apple's Skeuomorphism has gotten a bit ridiculous lately. Fullscreen Notepad is particularly hideous, IMO.

motulist

I basically agree with you, but for a somewhat more nuanced reason. IMO, 10.7 lion did add a few features that I want, such as full screen apps, built in autosave with versioning, session resume after shutdown, and full disk encryption http://lifehacker.com/5770609/screenshot-and-feature-tour-of-mac-os-107-lion . but along with those features I like I would also get saddled with a LOSS OF features from 10.6 replaced by new features that I DON'T like, such as mission control replacing expose, loss of the Save As function, etc. so overall it would be 2 steps forward and 2 steps back. And now 10.8 isn't adding a single new feature that I care about, so for me the best choice is probably to stick with 10.6 snow leopard.

Beachguy
News for Mr. Diaz- I went OS X BECAUSE of what I saw in Windows 8. That's one butt ugly interface.

ristlin
Jul 25, 2012, 09:03 AM
We'll see new groundbreaking ideas when a new form factor dictates it. I.E. the iOS was groundbreaking because of the touch interface.

Perhaps the iTV (or whatever) would allow for that. As long as we're stuck to a keyboard and mouse, there's inherent limitations outside of, perhaps, voice control (which isn't all that new).

Until my computer can talk back to me like Tony Stark's computer, I rather not talk to it...

KdParker
over all, I think to ML is great. Definately worth the upgrade (especially on rMBP)

Mac21ND
Dashboard is more groundbreaking than Mission Control. And in Mountian Lion they add a search bar!!! Sigh... For real though stuff like Expose and Stacks that really changed how we use our computers. Apple is focusing on taking the only thing they do know now (iOS) and bring it to Mac. Other than that they have no ideas.

I guess we can agree to disagree.

If there's ONE tech company with any new ideas, it's Apple. Their track record has proven as much.

Dangerous Theory
Jul 25, 2012, 09:05 AM
You can almost feel the bitterness from Giz's article!

What do we think Apple will call the next major revision anyway? OS XI or 11 or something else entirely? Probably still over 2 years away though I guess.

Mattie Num Nums
No interest in reading reviews from a bunch of know-it-all hacks that think Snow Leopard is the great thing since Atari and thought that Lion was, in a word, flawed.

Lion is nearly OS perfection, and Mountain Lion is the sequel. It's not "incremental" in anyway, it nearly doubles the feature set of Lion while improving every addition that came with Lion.

Lion was extremely flawed. Snow Leopard was Vista 1 and Lion was Vista 2. Mountain Lion is what it should have been in the first place.

As for Lion issues. One of the largest issues was Apple releasing an Operating System that had broken connectors (AD didn't work until 10.7.3 and SMB is frightfully slow.)

KPOM
Exactly, I mean WTF, does he think he can break the law just because he is a journalist? Freedom of speech doesn't mean you can buy stolen property, LOL.

Seriously. Does he think Microsoft would have acted any differently had he bought a stolen version of the Surface in late May and started posting stories about it?

It's "Lion Fixed." It is to Lion what Windows 7 was to Vista.

Mac21ND
Until my computer can talk back to me like Tony Stark's computer, I rather not talk to it...

Always reminded of this :-)

http://gggadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/scotty_hello_computer.jpg

ktmelvis
Its 10 am, the app store wont even let me near mountain lion, just keeps saying check back later.

ksgant
Jul 25, 2012, 09:06 AM

I think there's really not much you CAN do on the desktop. No, Windows 8, from what we've seen so far, isn't the thing that's the template for the future of the desktop. I mean, there's only so much you can do. I think the days of being "wowed" by groundbreaking things on the desktop are over...and we'll only see refinements and tweaks. But, I could be wrong.

And I agree with you about Gruber. Him and MG Siegler both are ones that seem to want to defend Apple to the death. I personally prefer John Siracusa. He's fair, praises when it's warranted, disses when it's warranted. He's detailed and thorough.

iSee
I disagree pretty strongly with the reviewer that suggest Apple isn't innovating on Mac OS (e.g., Heater and Jesus Diaz--though Diaz is a moron so there's no surprise in his case).

Some people think OS innovation == a fancy new skin.

But Apple is innovating at a deeper level:

They are squeezing out the need for the user to do app & document management. The OS is incrementally taking on the responsibility to do all of this automatically. Of course, it need to do it right, which is where Lion had some troubles. But it looks like ML has fixed a bunch of that. Look at the list of things OS X takes off your plate (it's totally fair to disagree with how it does so, so I'm just trying to point out the level of ambition in Lion and ML):
* App installation
* App updates
* Saving/Loading documents between sessions
* Keeping old versions of documents
* Sharing/moving documents between machines
Also -- and I'm not sure how far Apple has gotten down this road, but it is clearly coming -- OS X should be able to effectively manage available memory and other system resources consumed by applications by automatically suspending / quiting / restarting applications -- transparent to the user, as needed. (OS X already largely lets you forget about launching and quiting most kinds of apps -- my wife has been using OS X for years and does not know how to quit apps -- but it has a hole in that eventually all available memory is consumed).

Taken collectively, the ability to take over these mundane management & maintenance tasks is a huge step forward for a desktop OS. There's nothing else even close.

AustinIllini
best os to date

All told, I would say a Mac with Snow leopard is this the best all around. That being said, I am downloading ML as we speak. Although i'm not sure what i'm going to do with it with only an iPad 1

iconboyips
Anyone know if this will allow CS4 to run bug free. (I ran it fine on Lion without any bugs).

I have asked and asked Apple Store online chat and none of their staff now.
How stupid is that - they don't know what their own product is compatible with!!

They wanted me to ring AppleCare (who would charge me as my product is out of warranty) just to find out if it is compatible.

Loosing ALOT of faith in Apple these days.

thefourthpope
I think the "bargain at twice the price" is where I'm at. I love Apple's price points for OS updates.

abaxworld
Jul 25, 2012, 09:07 AM
Gizmodo still sounds upset since the iPhone affair, I'm agree with them about innovation but I think they talk from the guts and not from brain.

applefan289
Downloading so SLOW!

porky
Can you finally rotate images in the finder with Mountain Lion?

koolmagicguy
Twice the price?? It's 10 bucks less than Lion.

:o

Mackan
Jul 25, 2012, 09:08 AM
While it's nice to get OS improvement more often, this means just another yearly necessary upgrade from Apple. If you don't upgrade, they'll leave you behind with a non-functional ecosystem. Profit.

morespce54
Jul 25, 2012, 09:09 AM

Actually, it's still there for me... But I haven't install ML yet... So chances are that once you've upgraded, you can't go back to an old system (like you could with a DVD media). When you think about it, it makes sense actually. I do agree that since you've bought it, you should be able to "keep a copy" on your MAS account but if anything happen to your computer, you'll be likely to re-install the newest OS (which technically - hopefully - should be more stable).

BTW, anyone knows how to make a back-up of the installer? Can we still use the Lion's trick?

FSMBP
Jul 25, 2012, 09:09 AM
Dude I don't know about you but I am all over full-screen apps. Example:

I run two 'desktops' with EVE Online, one with my e-mail client, one with Writer, another with Safari, and another with calendar. With a flick of my finger I can switch between EVE clients or shoot out an e-mail. Very cool stuff. :cool:

That wasn't the argument at all. Read Gizmodo's article then speak (ex. iMessage fullscreen).

tschoftner
Jul 25, 2012, 09:11 AM
Check out this website:
http://roaringapps.com/apps:table

It will tell you (hopefully sooner rather than later) whether the different programmes are working fine under ML.

Anyone know if this will allow CS4 to run bug free. (I ran it fine on Lion without any bugs).

How stupid is that - they don't know what their own product is compatible with!!

They wanted me to ring AppleCare (who would charge me as my product is out of warranty) just to find out if it is compatible.

ftf
Jul 25, 2012, 09:12 AM

Umm, perhaps it is Adobe you should be contacting?... not Apple's responsibility to ensure every app ever developed works on a new OS.

.Joel
Gizmodo who? I can't say I have read Gizmodo once in the past year, and neither do I have an urge to. Beyond that searches I have done for certain pieces of technology still hasn't yielded them in my results.

Looking forward to Mountain Lion, will try the USB method that worked on Lion to do the updates throughout the office.

It would be nice if the halfwits stopped quoting opinion as "fact." Fact is you have made an opinionative statement that is about as factual as Bill not having sexual relations with Monica.

My car 10 years ago had 4 wheels, my new car today also has 4 wheels. It's not a "technical roadblock" it's called technology maturing. Funny, you still use your keyboard to type your pointless posts, why aren't you typing with your thought control? I don't see you up in arms about this.

MacRumors.Com, where kids whom hate Apple come to hang out because their parents don't love them.

Thunderhawks
I think the "bargain at twice the price" is where I'm at. I love Apple's price points for OS updates.

Really good price at 19.99.

Skipped Lion altogether as all my stuff works just fine.

But, I am intrigued enough by ML to give it a try.

Only problem is that it will force many people to upgrade all the older apps.

So, 19.99 is really more like $ 500 plus.

MS Office 11, Quicken (lol), some Suites etc. etc.

But, since a new MBP is being bought soon, it's all good:-)

AnTaR3s
Jul 25, 2012, 09:13 AM
Working in the austrian APP Store at 7.5MB/s. Downloading from Germany though... :)

bf2008
Jul 25, 2012, 09:14 AM
Sorry, but am I the only one here seeing this as a software update you have to pay for? Fair enough, it's very "cheap" compared to previous OS releases, but it's still expensive compared to other pieces of software out there. Costs the same as Pages, and many people don't get Pages because they think it's not worth the price.

The best feature is probably airplay and powernap, but those only work with the most recent macs.

Finally, nobody is taking into account the time it'll take to upgrade and the loss of productivity during that time. Upgrading to Lion took me ages, needed spotlight to reindex, timemachine to do its stuff as well, but at least Lion was more of an upgrade since it changed the way you use a laptop completely with the full screen applications.

peejack
Jul 25, 2012, 09:15 AM
Lion was extremely flawed. Snow Leopard was Vista 1 and Lion was Vista 2. Mountain Lion is what it should have been in the first place.

Don't be so ridiculous.

amplifyfitness
Jul 25, 2012, 09:15 AM

Yeah. Not cool at all. I can understand not making 10.7.x available to those who never purchased it prior to ML's release, but removing it from my Purchases list in the MAS...?

If this becomes the standard way of doing business with other purchased software from other companies, I'll just keep my cash.

Once I've paid for something on MAS, I expect it to be available, even if it's no longer being updated and supported. After all, having purchases available for download is supposed to be a feature of the MAS, so they can be installed (or reinstalled) on all Macs associated with a singular ID.

Rethink this move, Apple.

morespce54
Jul 25, 2012, 09:16 AM
...What do we think Apple will call the next major revision anyway? OS XI or 11 or something else entirely? Probably still over 2 years away though I guess.

Probably more like "iOS"... ;)
But by that time, I feel like I'm going to be OK with that - I hope! :)

.Joel
Jul 25, 2012, 09:17 AM

I agree, how stupid is it that you asked Apple instead of Adobe considering Adobe is the publisher of the software.

I'm losing faith in humanity considering the general stupidity and cluelessness of people.

I'm off to ring Microsoft to ask them if my Fridge is compatible with Windows 8.

iSee
Jul 25, 2012, 09:17 AM
While it's nice to get OS improvement more often, this means just another yearly necessary upgrade from Apple. If you don't upgrade, they'll leave you behind with a non-functional ecosystem. Profit.

If it was about profit, they would charge a lot more that $20.
E.g., they could have easily charged the same as Lion, $30, and no one would have blinked.

I think the main reason they are aggresive with dropping old OS's is to move things forward more quickly. (I still think they should have put iCloud into SL though, but ML helps since it fixes some of Lion's annoyances).

FSMBP
Jul 25, 2012, 09:18 AM
I think there's really not much you CAN do on the desktop. No, Windows 8, from what we've seen so far, isn't the thing that's the template for the future of the desktop. I mean, there's only so much you can do. I think the days of being "wowed" by groundbreaking things on the desktop are over...and we'll only see refinements and tweaks. But, I could be wrong.

And I agree with you about Gruber. Him and MG Siegler both are ones that seem to want to defend Apple to the death. I personally prefer John Siracusa. He's fair, praises when it's warranted, disses when it's warranted. He's detailed and thorough.

I agree. I think Mountain Lion is a nice OS, but I feel like it's not a cohesive one. In addition, I hate how Apple's competitors are speeding up their OSes (Google's Android), while Apple isn't making speed a priority (well, at least not publicly).

thestickman
Jul 25, 2012, 09:19 AM
Got ML installed on my MBA. IMO, this is what Lion should have been. It's faster, smoother & all around "snappier". About to take the great leap in a while & install it on my iMac.

ktmelvis
Downloading so SLOW!

App store just plain hates me, my idea was to buy, start download and leave for the day, come back many hours later, then possibly have most of it downloaded, but such is life.

hobo.hopkins

I think that would be more of an issue if the update weren't $20. At that price, coupled with the convenience of downloading it online, there is no excuse for not updating if you want new features. After all, you aren't entitled to every update Apple offers if you don't - wait for it - update your operating system.

scbrain
When Apple announced (or did they ever really bother to announce?) that AirPlay wouldn't work on my computer that I bought *last year* I decided not to upgrade.

ftf
Jul 25, 2012, 09:20 AM
Sorry, but am I the only one here seeing this as a software update you have to pay for? Fair enough, it's very "cheap" compared to previous OS releases, but it's still expensive compared to other pieces of software out there. Costs the same as Pages, and many people don't get Pages because they think it's not worth the price.

The best feature is probably airplay and powernap, but those only work with the most recent macs.

Finally, nobody is taking into account the time it'll take to upgrade and the loss of productivity during that time. Upgrading to Lion took me ages, needed spotlight to reindex, timemachine to do its stuff as well, but at least Lion was more of an upgrade since it changed the way you use a laptop completely with the full screen applications.

Holy schmokes - so don't pay for it and therefore don't download it. This will mean that you pay nothing and you've not lost any "productivity time". Problem solved.

cfs
Jul 25, 2012, 09:25 AM
I'm noticing that there are some new Functions, such as messages and updates, that need one to have an Apple ID. My family has two iPads that are connected to one family iMac. We use the same iTunes ID but different iMessage ID's. Am I accurate in thinking that on a shared computer only one user there will be able able to take advantage of all it has to offer?

Thanks,

CFS

iScott428
Jul 25, 2012, 09:25 AM
Since I am not going to see the new Batman movie in theaters and not get the large tub of popcorn; I can upgrade to Mountain Lion instead and download the movie for :cool:

Seriously at $20 how can you not upgrade.

lucasgladding
Jul 25, 2012, 09:27 AM
Yeah. Not cool at all. I can understand not making 10.7.x available to those who never purchased it prior to ML's release, but removing it from my Purchases list in the MAS...?

If this becomes the standard way of doing business with other purchased software from other companies, I'll just keep my cash.

Once I've paid for something on MAS, I expect it to be available, even if it's no longer being updated and supported. After all, having purchases available for download is supposed to be a feature of the MAS, so they can be installed (or reinstalled) on all Macs associated with a singular ID.

Rethink this move, Apple.

Not defending Apple, quite the opposite actually, but I suspect this is an issue with the App Store. I hope it gets addressed, and probably will if enough people complain (even as a bug report).

As a developer, I would love to be able to temporarily disable new purchases, but keep the app available for people who already bought it.

ghostface147

Like what? What would you add?

cvaldes

It's not that expensive if you consider how much a company in Redmond charges for the equivalent operating system. I'd rather spend $20 every year rather than a much heftier sum every three years. Also, you can install OS X on multiple systems using the same Apple ID.

Moreover, you don't really need to spend $20. I'll be spending $16 for my copy of OS X Mountain Lion using a totally legal method since I've figured out how to game the iTunes/App Store system.

I think most people will understand that there is some loss of productivity when you make a major upgrade. However, most people will have a greater productivity loss getting their haircut or going to the dentist. A level-headed person would just write off this time as required maintenance, like getting the tires rotated on your car.

Since it hasn't dawned on you yet, let me offer a suggestion. Install the upgrade and then go do other things. Go out to dinner, go to sleep, play with your kids, go to the ballpark, etc. No one is forcing you to upgrade during the busiest part of your workday.

Me? I'll probably download this morning, then wait until tonight or tomorrow night to upgrade before I go to sleep.

r.harris1
Jul 25, 2012, 09:29 AM
When Apple announced (or did they ever really bother to announce?) that AirPlay wouldn't work on my computer that I bought *last year* I decided not to upgrade.

That'll show 'em. Is AirPlay all you wanted? Granted, annoying, but still...

F.biz
Jul 25, 2012, 09:29 AM

This is madness! How should we install the only compatible OS with our computers if it is not there?

Someone in Apple is thinking too much or too less!

I am using MacBook3,1 which is incompatible with OS X ML so I want to install OS X Lion this is obvious. Yesterday I was encouraged to install Lion to use iCloud features and now the only thing I can install is OS ML, which I cannot install at the same time :)

If they remove Lion they should make ML compatible. It's just a matter of one driver for GPU. This is pure greed.

Low quality pro apps, no server rack machine, no regular calls in iPad and now this.

It's no wonder that Apple shares go 5% down.

DonRivella
Jul 25, 2012, 09:32 AM
I am entitled to a free upgrade, but will wait before I install. The lion upgrade on my MacBook severely crippled battery life and made it run even hotter than usual. Unfortunately Apple's QC is not as good as you would expect considering the comparably limited amount of hardware they need to test software on.

Gemütlichkeit
Jul 25, 2012, 09:33 AM
I can't wait to hear all the people complaining about this release and how they're sticking with Snow Leopard. Happens every release :rolleyes:

fullstop102
Jul 25, 2012, 09:34 AM
Jesus has spoken and he doesn't much like the new OS. :P

nikhsub1
Jul 25, 2012, 09:34 AM
Exactly. I oversee 500 workstations (and 50 servers) and the end users using them. I am going to slit my wrists once I have to move them to Windows 8 - it's a pretty confusing interface.

MacFan23
Jul 25, 2012, 09:35 AM
I'm noticing that there are some new unctions, such as messages and updates, that need one to have an Apple ID. My family has to iPads that are connected to one family iMac. We use the same iTunes ID but different iMessage ID's. Am I accurate in thinking that on a shared computer only one user there will be able able to take advantage of all it has to offer?

Thanks,

CFS

If each user has their own user account on the iMac you'll be fine I think

hobo.hopkins
Jul 25, 2012, 09:38 AM
Low quality pro apps, no server rack machine, no regular calls in iPad and now this.

It's no wonder that Apple shares go 5% down.

Yup, they're really a dying beast, and as others have pointed out - they have been for some time: http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/death_knell/.

xionxiox
Jul 25, 2012, 09:38 AM
I love how some of the reviewers *cough* GIZMODO talk about an OS like it's supposed to be the next hot video game then get disappointed when it's not. The only thing Windows metro accomplishes is making it a little more time consuming to do simple tasks. It's flamboyant, ugly, and distracting. While Mountain Lion adds features that are actually useful to the end user. And at $19.99, how can you go wrong?

iconboyips
Jul 25, 2012, 09:39 AM
I agree, how stupid is it that you asked Apple instead of Adobe considering Adobe is the publisher of the software.

I'm losing faith in humanity considering the general stupidity and cluelessness of people.

I'm off to ring Microsoft to ask them if my Fridge is compatible with Windows 8.

Actually I think it a perfectly reasonable question to ask a manufacturer what their products are compatible with.

If a camera lens manufacturer made lenses and did not know which cameras their lenses were compatible with what would you think?

In-fact I consider it good business practice that both Adobe and Apple know how their products are compatible with each other ready for release. It provides a better customer experience.

sektor
Jul 25, 2012, 09:44 AM
Just downloaded ML, seems very fast!

One question: am I the only one who can't see the Facebook integration build in? :confused:

mrbyu
Jul 25, 2012, 09:45 AM
Does it create its own recovery partition like Lion? So for example, let's say I want to install it on my brother's Mac with my Apple ID. So I can make a clean install with a USB drive which I previously created on my Mac. But after I installed it, will it have it's own recovery partition on my brothers Mac too, letting him able to re-install it later if he wants to?

TsunamiTheClown
Jul 25, 2012, 09:46 AM

So are we going to demand a totally new OS every couple of years in the name of "new ideas"???

DJJAZZYJET
Jul 25, 2012, 09:47 AM
faster and smoother, just what I want to hear :)

sinser
Jul 25, 2012, 09:47 AM
Sad to say it, but I agree with gizmodo about the abuse of skeumorphic user interface elements :(

hobo.hopkins
Jul 25, 2012, 09:48 AM
Actually I think it a perfectly reasonable question to ask a manufacturer what their products are compatible with.

If a camera lens manufacturer made lenses and did not know which cameras their lenses were compatible with what would you think?

Although the application in question is a popular one, I hardly think Apple can know how well an updated operating system can run every application in existence for Lion (which, I gather, is a lot). To think otherwise is foolhardly and irrational.

Mattie Num Nums
Jul 25, 2012, 09:49 AM
Don't be so ridiculous.

Lion wasn't usable until 10.7.3 and Snow Leopard wasn't usable intil 10.6.8.

Apple rushed both OS's and don't tell me I am full of it etc. As I pointed out before it took 3 OS revisions before something simple like AD worked and with 10.6 it took 8 revisions to get it to finally work good. 10.6.8 is Apple's best OS in a long time but that doesn't take away the fact that it took 8 major revisions to get it to work.

KPOM
Jul 25, 2012, 09:50 AM
PCMag gave it their Editor's Choice award and said it is well positioned to hold off Windows 8. I guess they didn't agree with the Gizmodo review. :D

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2400311,00.asp

Chrisg2014
I think on the Mac, Apple Should at least wait maybe 2 years at least between OS X upgrades. I'm not even getting tired of the old software and I feel like it a rush, year after year.

Don't get me wrong I like ML, but slow it down a little please.

Rennir

They reported on that anti-android article quite recently actually.

mrbyu
Jul 25, 2012, 09:52 AM
I think on the Mac, Apple Should at least wait maybe 2 years at least between OS X upgrades. I'm not even getting tired of the old software and I feel like it a rush, year after year.

Don't get me wrong I like ML, but slow it down a little please.

ML isn't a complete overhaul, just a fine-tuning with some really cool new features. I think they are doing it really right at Apple.

TsunamiTheClown
Jul 25, 2012, 09:52 AM

Are you even remotely serious??? Vista 1 and 2 you got to be kidding. Have you actually tried to use Vista?

Snow Leopard and Lion were/are waaaay too functional to slap them with that kinda low class OS comparison.

How would you explain your connection?

ChrisTX
Jul 25, 2012, 09:53 AM
Downloading this as we speak, and for the most part, it seems to be going fairly quickly. :D

Rennir
Exactly. I oversee 500 workstations (and 50 servers) and the end users using them. I am going to slit my wrists once I have to move them to Windows 8 - it's a pretty confusing interface.

Why don't you stick to 7 then, unless there's something wrong with it?

autrefois
I'm noticing that there are some new unctions, such as messages and updates, that need one to have an Apple ID. My family has to iPads that are connected to one family iMac. We use the same iTunes ID but different iMessage ID's. Am I accurate in thinking that on a shared computer only one user there will be able able to take advantage of all it has to offer?

Thanks,

CFS

Yes, as MacFan23 said, I would assume they would each have to have a separate user account (which can be set up via System Preferences). So after each person is done using the iMac, they would log out (or switch users) and then the next person would log in under their account. That way, you could still have them sharing the same iTunes ID while them each having separate Messages and Notifications.

The only downside would be music management. Unless something has changed, sharing music between different user accounts can be tricky. Apple's support site and other places should have instructions on how to share Libraries if you have a lot of music from a variety of places. But if most or all of your purchases have been done through the iTunes Store and been done recently, and/or you use iTunes Match or iTunes in the Cloud, then you might be able to get by with redownloading them or transferring the few songs that aren't from iTunes as opposed to sharing Libraries between users.

iPhisch
Jul 25, 2012, 09:54 AM
The next thing you'll tell me is that there is no Santa Claus! :)

Wait, what? :confused:

smeo2nm
Jul 25, 2012, 09:54 AM
I beg to differ :o

What do you think is a better OS then? Curious...

I use Lion, Win 7, and ubuntu 12.04 (... I used them all within 24 hrs :))

Windows 7 is def decent but I think windows really needs to be bold and drop all the legacy stuff especially the Registry scheme and shared DLLs before it becomes better. Also, I hate developer community in Windows... They always put up nagging notifications everywhere...

I mainly use ubuntu for research so I have not much to say about it... Though it seems to use more CPU than I expected. Prob running it on bootcamp has something to do with it...

Rennir
Jul 25, 2012, 09:55 AM
Umm, perhaps it is Adobe you should be contacting?... not Apple's responsibility to ensure every app ever developed works on a new OS.

Yes, because the betas were just for eye candy.

phpmaven
Jul 25, 2012, 09:57 AM

You know, I find this nonsense about the supposed "IOSification" of OS X to be really tiring and annoying. There are a few features borrowed from IOS that are easily turned off or ignored, period. Other than that, it's good old OS X, but better.

neuropsychguy
Jul 25, 2012, 09:58 AM

Snow Leopard is a great operating system (and only got better with revisions), comparing it to Vista is far off base (Vista never got good - I used it for 2 years before finally reverting to XP; Windows 7 is quite a good OS though). Lion even with its faults is more like Windows 7 than Vista. Lion was the first version of OS X that I've had problems with; I still like it a lot but it was also the first OS X upgrade that slowed down an existing computer.

Even in frustrating times I always enjoy using OS X but the same cannot be said for Windows; I never enjoy using Windows (I don't dislike it, it's just not a pleasure to use like OS X is).

b_scott
Jul 25, 2012, 09:59 AM

if your IT dept. is immediately upgrading to Windows 8, then they deserve the headache.

AppleInTheMud
Jul 25, 2012, 10:01 AM

Hit one button and the Desktop is normal in Windows 8 ;)

Dumb colleagues you have :rolleyes:

Rennir
Jul 25, 2012, 10:01 AM
Like what? What would you add?

That's the point though. WE don't know. Apples philosophy is that the consumer doesn't know what they want. Before the iPhone came out if you asked and any person off the street what they wanted from the phones in that day and age they couldn't have answered with the characteristics of the iPhone. Same for iPad.

MH01
Jul 25, 2012, 10:03 AM
Engadget Review is a good one.

Geez some of the others really try hard to kiss Apple's *** though.

For myself, I am still on SL, and nothing in Mountain Lion is making me want to upgrade yet, maybe messages once iOS 6 is out. I have learned in the past never to jump on a new OS, wait for a release or 2 and it should be much more stable/bug free.

iconboyips
Jul 25, 2012, 10:03 AM
Although the application in question is a popular one, I hardly think Apple can know how well an updated operating system can run every application in existence for Lion (which, I gather, is a lot). To think otherwise is foolhardly and irrational.

I didn't say every application. I was talking about one of the most used on their systems. As I said I think it makes good business practice on the part of both Adobe and Apple to know this information at release, instead of both saying, oh, er, we don't know.

sweetbrat
Jul 25, 2012, 10:06 AM

As for Lion issues. One of the largest issues was Apple releasing an Operating System that had broken connectors (AD didn't work until 10.7.3 and SMB is frightfully slow.)

Snow Leopard was Vista 1? What world are you living in? Snow Leopard is generally regarded as the most stable, best functioning OS. People either seem to love Lion or hate it, but Snow Leopard was mostly loved by all. As far as calling Lion "Vista" I thought we got all of those posts over with in the first few weeks of its release. Do we really need to drag conversations back to that again?

pondosinatra
Jul 25, 2012, 10:07 AM
I'll stick with Snow Leopard and my non-glossy iMac thank you very much.

JHankwitz
All of us who tried to get it on Monday got screwed!

Pray tell --- how did they get screwed? Did Apple take their money without providing the software, or what?

beltzak
I didn't realize so many people hated Lion. Why do people hate Lion? I've never had an issue with it.

Because it hangs (kernel panic) i reinstalled combos an so on (and it was the first clean install since leopard), I had to change from safari to firefox because of the spinning ball of beach.

Because after all in my experience has been the worst OS of Apple in performance, then the stupid launchpad I still don't get it (has Apple any desktop with touchscreen I am not aware off?) and the whole mission control mess the only thing usable is the old expose feature ;P

And because we are still in 10.7.4 revision and the whole OS will be already forgotten in July 2013. So, that means we will be damn lucky if we get 10.7.6 by next year.

Mac21ND
Jul 25, 2012, 10:08 AM
Hit one button and the Desktop is normal in Windows 8 ;)

Dumb colleagues you have :rolleyes:

If only the minus button was still available.

blumpkin
Jul 25, 2012, 10:09 AM
Jesus Diaz from Jizzmodo invented the douche bag.

Blaquespell
Jul 25, 2012, 10:10 AM

One question: am I the only one who can't see the Facebook integration build in? :confused:

On the Apple website for Mountain Lion's features, it said that Facebook was coming this Fall. I suppose it's not ready yet.

mrbyu
Jul 25, 2012, 10:12 AM
Please somebody answer, I really want to be sure about this!

Does ML create its own recovery partition on every machine? So let's say I want to install it on my brother's Mac with my Apple ID. So, I can make a clean install with a USB drive which I previously created on my Mac. But after I installed it, will it have it's own recovery partition on my brothers Mac too, letting him able to re-install it later if he wants to? Or would he be prompted to log in with my Apple ID in the recovery partition? Because afaik, Macs with pre-loaded OS X Lion don't ask after any Apple ID in the recovery partition. How does the recovery partition know if it is a pre-loaded OS X or one which you purchased from Apple Store and then you made a clean install with it?

pmz
Jul 25, 2012, 10:14 AM

LOL Again, more FUD.

Reformat your machines. AD bugs were present, that doesn't mean it "didn't work" and SMB works perfectly fine for me and has through Lion into ML.

Try again Troll.

Baumi
Jul 25, 2012, 10:15 AM
The ironic thing is Gizmodo is spot on
[...]
And John Gruber is very bias towards Apple.

Anything coming from Gawker just isn't serious journalism, and that includes Gizmodo. IMHO their credibility went down the drain long before the iPhone affair: It was when one of their writers used their press credentials and a TV-B-Gone to disrupt presentations. While we could argue about whether it's funny or not, one thing is clear: It's not journalism, it's trolling. So, personally, I just try to ignore their articles as much as possible.

I also don't care much for John Gruber, though for different reasons. The guy is a pundit, which basically means, he's a professional fanboy. His readers want him to defend Apple, so that's what he's going to do, even if it means bending the facts.

That said, I've looking forward to Mountain Lion and will be installing it ASAP. (Which, unfortunately, means waiting until next week or so when my iMac should be be back from the repair shop. :( No messing with my MacBook's system while it's the only workhorse in the house.)

mr.steevo
Jul 25, 2012, 10:15 AM

You have it backwards. Adobe should know if their products run on OS X ML and not the other way around.

l.w41sh
Jul 25, 2012, 10:16 AM
Pray tell --- how did they get screwed? Did Apple take their money without providing the software, or what?

I could have been downloading it for hours and/or running it but instead I have to wait for them to send me a new code during downloading rush hour...

pmz
Jul 25, 2012, 10:17 AM
Jesus Diaz from Jizzmodo invented the douche bag.

That guy is beyond ridiculous, and he's one of the main reasons why I removed that website from every RSS feed, etc. and got it completely off my radar.

I now never see Gizmodo anywhere, or anything from any of those horrendous people. Its the good life.

Some of the posts he's made in the past and gotten away with have utterly infuriated me (not just apple stuff), so I have to avoid him at all costs. He literally should be locked away and never allowed to post again.

daneoni
Jul 25, 2012, 10:18 AM
There's only one place to go for OS X reviews and it's John Siracusa at Ars.

hobo.hopkins
Jul 25, 2012, 10:19 AM
I didn't say every application. I was talking about one of the most used on their systems. As I said I think it makes good business practice on the part of both Adobe and Apple to know this information at release, instead of both saying, oh, er, we don't know.

I quoted you before you added the bit about it being good for business. You're right; I was contesting your statement that "Actually I think it a perfectly reasonable question to ask a manufacturer what their products are compatible with." With as many applications as there are for Mac OS X it's just not reasonable to expect Apple to know if they all run smoothly. After all, they aren't the developers.

barryathome
Jul 25, 2012, 10:22 AM
I am a huge Mac fan, have been for a very long time. I "HATED" Lion, I'm hoping that I'll like Mountain Lion better. To me, Lion was the worst OSX ever.

mabhatter
Jul 25, 2012, 10:24 AM
Don't be so ridiculous.

It's not like we waited 5 YEARS, and then another 3 YEARS for Apple to update their OS. Even if they did misstep. I'm not a power user so I had no issues with Lion.

Unlike those other guys.

Baumi
I could have been downloading it for hours and/or running it but instead I have to wait for them to send me a new code during downloading rush hour...

That's not getting screwed, that's being disappointed after getting your hopes up because Apple mistakenly activated the web form a day early.

Mildly annoying? Possibly.

Getting screwed? Hardly.

nottooshabby
Can anybody confirm in Office 2008 works with Mountain Lion? How about the Quicken 2007 that they re-released for Lion?

l.w41sh
Jul 25, 2012, 10:25 AM
That's not getting screwed, that's being disappointed after getting your hopes up because Apple mistakenly activated the web form a day early.

Mildly annoying? Possibly.

Getting screwed? Hardly.

So the fact that I could have had a product when other do just because I typed in my code isn't getting screwed? Tell me the definition.

Xenomorph
Jul 25, 2012, 10:26 AM
I was one of the people who did not like Lion.

So much changed, very little improved, all my Server tools broke, and I had to uncheck "Reopen windows when logging back in" every time I logged out or shut down. What a headache.

It took until 10.7.4 to fix the "Reopen windows" dialog. But... my server tools still don't work, and things are still different enough to trip me up as I go back and forth between Lion and older versions on other Macs I work with.

Hopefully 10.8 (about 50% downloaded for me) adds enough new stuff that I don't mind all the changes introduced with 10.7...

drorpheus
Jul 25, 2012, 10:28 AM
If there's ONE tech company with any new ideas, it's Apple. Their track record has proven as much.

Aside from the iphone and ipad Apple has run out of ideas, partially from being victims to the Intel Roadblock. Dashboard, Expose, and Spaces are the last 3 big things OSX has gotten. Snow Leopard was Leopard fine tuned for Intel and rightfully so. Lion brought next to no enhancements and Mountain Lions upgrades are laughable. Apple should close Apple and rename it Apple Mobile Inc.

lilo777
Jul 25, 2012, 10:29 AM

You do not need to. Windows is compatible with everything. OS/X? Not so much.

IndyDave
Jul 25, 2012, 10:30 AM

Think Jesus is having a hard time letting go of his bile in exile.

FinalCutJay
Jul 25, 2012, 10:31 AM
Jesus Diaz is an ass and is half the reason Gizmodo has taken a dump over the past year and a half. Proves the point any mouth breather that can type can write for a tech blog.

Spooner83
Jul 25, 2012, 10:33 AM
They always say there's 200 new features/ I never find more than 14! Can we get a list of all 200 new features? This is false advertisement i think.

IndyDave
Jul 25, 2012, 10:34 AM
Aside from the iphone and ipad Apple has run out of ideas, partially from being victims to the Intel Roadblock. Dashboard, Expose, and Spaces are the last 3 big things OSX has gotten. Snow Leopard was Leopard fine tuned for Intel and rightfully so. Lion brought next to no enhancements and Mountain Lions upgrades are laughable. Apple should close Apple and rename it Apple Mobile Inc.

Maybe you can bring your genius out from behind the genius bar and come up with the next great thing that will satisfy every critic and keep shareholders happy.

Winni
Ill update once they add something relevant for proper desktop computer use on my iMac

Well, they have. Besides the better performance of the system, there are many little features in Mountain Lion that make the upgrade worthwhile. For example, I find the new progress bars on file icons when you copy files from one location to another very useful.

Rogifan

Also, please bring back the downvoting. I'm pretty sure lot's of people wouldn't agree with what I said...

Mac'on

You have to admit it's pretty bad. The Verge recently put up an interview with iA's web designer Oliver Reichenstein. He called out Apple for this unnecessary ornamental design. Earlier this year the London Telegraph asked Jony Ive about it in an interview and he danced around the question by saying he's hardware and not connected to the software UI. Lots of people are hating on it as they should. Apple's gone way overboard with this skeumorphic design crap.

Mac21ND
Jul 25, 2012, 10:35 AM

Yes, let's disregard two of the most significant consumer technology devices of the last decade.

Sensation
Jul 25, 2012, 10:35 AM
Does this run on core 2 duo macs, I have an old imac.
Its very slow on Lion , I imagine this version will be worse.

Spooner83
Jul 25, 2012, 10:36 AM

amen!

ristlin
Jul 25, 2012, 10:37 AM
That wasn't the argument at all. Read Gizmodo's article then speak (ex. iMessage fullscreen).

I don't need to, I just installed the OS and its great. Why wait for someone to give you their opinion when you can try yourself? LOL.

Heck, if you don't want to spend the 20 bucks you can probably test it out in an Apple store.

----------

Always reminded of this :-)

Image (http://gggadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/scotty_hello_computer.jpg)

awesome pic : )

Outlaw-D
Jul 25, 2012, 10:39 AM
I agree with Gizmodo! You can only build a tower so tall before it topples over and you have to start over ... Yes, I'm referencing the stale iOS user interface and minimal improvements to OS X. You can't beat the price though of the ML upgrade.

iMacFarlane
Jul 25, 2012, 10:40 AM
So the fact that I could have had a product when other do just because I typed in my code isn't getting screwed? Tell me the definition.

Looking at some other threads, It's not just those of us that jumped when the form went live on Monday. Lots of complaints and errors from folks who filled out their form this morning, well after ML went live. They are getting the same 'already claimed' and 'invalid code' messages that we are seeing. This is Apple's misstep, they'll fix it, we'll get our new OS that was promised us (for my shiny new 13"MBP bought 2 weeks after refresh), and it'll be $0 at the end of the day. According to Apple, at the end of TOday. It'll work out. :)

ristlin
Jul 25, 2012, 10:40 AM
Yes, let's disregard two of the most significant consumer technology devices of the last decade.

I don't know what people have against iOS LOL. Is it some fad I am unaware about? Is it considered hipster to reject everything related to iOS merging with OS?

"Bro, you are calling programs apps? Not cool, what a fail operating system. Going back to Windows where programs are called programs, not apps and where my notepad is worthless."

Baumi
Jul 25, 2012, 10:42 AM

Okay, you asked for it; language nerdism ahead:

What you're describing is "being screwed", which means being out of luck. (In this context, at least. :) )

Getting screwed, OTOH, means getting actively cheated by someone. If Apple said: "Sorry, your code is used, go ahead and buy yourself a copy of ML at full price," *THAT* would be getting screwed by Apple. As it is, you may be screwed, because you have to wait, but you're not getting screwed, nobody had any intention to make you suffer.

If it makes you feel any better: I'm screwed, too, right now, as far as ML is concerned, because my iMac's video card decided to say bye-bye last night. Most likely, your system will be up and running with the new OS long before mine.

Thunderhawks
Jul 25, 2012, 10:44 AM
Can anybody confirm in Office 2008 works with Mountain Lion? How about the Quicken 2007 that they re-released for Lion?

Google it and you will see.

Those two show as maybe "will have problems"

Mac21ND
Jul 25, 2012, 10:45 AM
I don't know what people have against iOS LOL. Is it some fad I am unaware about? Is it considered hipster to reject everything related to iOS merging with OS?

"Bro, you are calling programs apps? Not cool, what a fail operating system. Going back to Windows where programs are called programs, not apps and where my notepad is worthless."

Yeah, I get this sense of "You're not a true Apple fan" if you haven't been coding your own software since System 7 or something. It reminds me of how people clung to OS 9 for so long until they were willing to admit OS X had ANY advantages...

l.w41sh
Jul 25, 2012, 10:46 AM
Okay, you asked for it; language nerdism ahead:

What you're describing is "being screwed", which means being out of luck. (In this context, at least. :) )

Getting screwed, OTOH, means getting actively cheated by someone. If Apple said: "Sorry, your code is used, go ahead and buy yourself a copy of ML at full price," *THAT* would be getting screwed by Apple. As it is, you may be screwed, because you have to wait, but you're not getting screwed, nobody had any intention to make you suffer.

If it makes you feel any better: I'm screwed, too, right now, as far as ML is concerned, because my iMac's video card decided to say bye-bye last night. Most likely, your system will be up and running with the new OS long before mine.
Thanks for clarifying!!! :)

And sorry about your video card. :eek:

Lennholm
Jul 25, 2012, 10:46 AM
News for Mr. Diaz- I went OS X BECAUSE of what I saw in Windows 8. That's one butt ugly interface.

News for you Mr Beachguy - Mr. Diaz probably couldn't care less what your personal opinion on the Windows 8 UI is.

Twice the price?? It's 10 bucks less than Lion.

:o

I think you misunderstood, he meant that even if it had cost twice as much as it does it would still be a bargain.

iPusch
Jul 25, 2012, 10:47 AM
Okay I have done my request for a free Mountain Lion Upgrade on my new MBP but can anybody say how long I have to wait to get this email with the Code? I am waiting for 'bout 30min here already and I don't wanna sit here 4 another 30 minutes :( so can anybody tell how long does it usually take (or took at you)? :(

Pamani
Says is downloading, but it doesn't look like its really downloading.

theanimaster

I got the Win8 preview on Parallels. It IS crap. Running as a VM, you have to click in THREE places just to shut down. Yeah. You first have to go to the main screen, then log out, then click again, then shutdown, then click OK to shut down.

Ok... maybe even more clicks...

That's not all. Almost everything requires you to link your stuff (Facebook and all) to Microsoft's crap LIVE services. Yeah, Apple does the same with iCloud but with Apple YOU DON'T LINK YOUR FB to iCLOUD. Can you see the danger there? I've got students who regularly get their MSN accounts hacked because they're such suckers for phishing attacks. Having their accounts linked to every other account is a big no-no for them.

What happens if you don't link your accounts or set up your MS LIVE crap? Well -- you can stare at the pretty coloured blocks then, albeit FLAT coloured boxes. How drab. How Microsoft.

ristlin
Jul 25, 2012, 10:48 AM
I agree with Gizmodo! You can only build a tower so tall before it topples over and you have to start over ... Yes, I'm referencing the stale iOS user interface and minimal improvements to OS X. You can't beat the price though of the ML upgrade.

What is it about the iOS interface you find stale? It's simple and it works. What do you want?

Braniff747SP
Jul 25, 2012, 10:48 AM
Anyone know how long it takes for my claim from the Up-to-Date program to be OK'ed?

theanimaster
Jul 25, 2012, 10:49 AM

Good thing I got the Lion USB drive when I did then! Collector's Item! THE first and only of its kind (well... sorta... the first and only APPLE thing... just like the iPod HIFI I have...)

cfs
Jul 25, 2012, 10:50 AM
Yes, as MacFan23 said, I would assume they would each have to have a separate user account (which can be set up via System Preferences). So after each person is done using the iMac, they would log out (or switch users) and then the next person would log in under their account. That way, you could still have them sharing the same iTunes ID while them each having separate Messages and Notifications.

The only downside would be music management. Unless something has changed, sharing music between different user accounts can be tricky. Apple's support site and other places should have instructions on how to share Libraries if you have a lot of music from a variety of places. But if most or all of your purchases have been done through the iTunes Store and been done recently, and/or you use iTunes Match or iTunes in the Cloud, then you might be able to get by with redownloading them or transferring the few songs that aren't from iTunes as opposed to sharing Libraries between users.

Thanks you two.

koban4max
Jul 25, 2012, 10:52 AM

We don't need another fanboy in this forum.

----------

Okay I have done my request for a free Mountain Lion Upgrade on my new MBP but can anybody say how long I have to wait to get this email with the Code? I am waiting for 'bout 30min here already and I don't wanna sit here 4 another 30 minutes :( so can anybody tell how long does it usually take (or took at you)? :(

just buy the damn thing.

applemotor

No, but you might be one of the people who missed the "Coming this Fall" note here...... http://www.apple.com/osx/whats-new/

JS82712
LOL @ Giz;looks like someone is still being sour about getting blacklisted by apple
btw, that review is as ridiculous as his name :rolleyes:

Cryptan
Jul 25, 2012, 10:54 AM

I used to go to Gizmodo every once in a while, but since they have become so blatantly anti-Apple I have stopped. A small fraction of their complaints may hold some truth, but I won't support such childish behaviors.

Besides, when it is evidently clear they are anti-Apple their credibility goes out the window. How can I trust anything they say? How do I know their complaints against Apple are truthful? How do I know they aren't promoting Android phones simply because they are Apple's direct competitor?

In any case, there are much better tech sites out there. The Verge - better than Gizmodo has ever been.

ristlin

Since this is MacRumors, I'd prefer a fanboy over a pessimistic, anti-Apple, anti-iOS, anti-Mac know-it-alls.

I'd prefer people to think for themselves, but that's asking for too much.

I'd also prefer winning the lotto and being able to buy more Mac stuff.

iPusch

----------

just buy the damn thing.

haha are you serious, c'mon why you saying that, I mean if someone get the chance to get it 4 free why I should buy it now :roll eyes: but maybe I have to when it doesn't come into my inbox soon ;( or I take a call to the Apple Store :p

diamond.g
Jul 25, 2012, 10:55 AM
Please somebody answer, I really want to be sure about this!

Does ML create its own recovery partition on every machine? So let's say I want to install it on my brother's Mac with my Apple ID. So, I can make a clean install with a USB drive which I previously created on my Mac. But after I installed it, will it have it's own recovery partition on my brothers Mac too, letting him able to re-install it later if he wants to? Or would he be prompted to log in with my Apple ID in the recovery partition? Because afaik, Macs with pre-loaded OS X Lion don't ask after any Apple ID in the recovery partition. How does the recovery partition know if it is a pre-loaded OS X or one which you purchased from Apple Store and then you made a clean install with it?
If the Mac didn't come with ML/L then it will ask for an Apple ID if you try to reload the OS.

Mattie Num Nums
Jul 25, 2012, 10:56 AM
Are you even remotely serious??? Vista 1 and 2 you got to be kidding. Have you actually tried to use Vista?

Snow Leopard and Lion were/are waaaay too functional to slap them with that kinda low class OS comparison.

How would you explain your connection?

I've provided examples its up to you to read them.

Again, 10.7 didn't even support AD or SMB properly until 10.7.3. Thats 3 major revisions before it was even addressed. I have used Vista I support over 5000 computer mixed PC and Mac I've probably seen more in a day than you have in a year.

nottooshabby
Google it and you will see.

Those two show as maybe "will have problems"

Lovely....

nagromme
To sum up reactions: Apple innovates too quickly, and Apple innovates too gradually. Spend the $20. Also, Apple re-thought their entire OS and computing experience with iOS, years before Microsoft did, while Microsoft is still struggling to respond; therefore Apple is behind Microsoft.

(But I choose caution: wait until a point update or two. I don’t want to be a guinea pig with bragging rights.)

Rennir
Jul 25, 2012, 10:57 AM
What is it about the iOS interface you find stale? It's simple and it works. What do you want?

You answered your own question. It's too simple, and while that is great practicality-wise, inevitably, people are going to get bored of the simplicity (after 5 generations of the same design). As for asking what people want, that's not the point. Apple's philosophy is that the consumer doesn't know what he/she wants. If you asked a person what more they wanted from a smartphone before the first iPhone was released, do you think they could've listed every single feature that made the iPhone so successful? If any person could do that, then why didn't any other companies try to invent the iPhone before Apple did? Same thing for the iPad.

omar10393
Jul 25, 2012, 10:57 AM
Is anyone having problems downloading ML? I want to upgrade, but I want to know If I should wait a few more hours.

Takeo
Jul 25, 2012, 10:58 AM

I did not realize until today that Lion was a "trainwreak". What were the complaints? Or is this just an idea everyone latched on to?

Piggie
Jul 25, 2012, 10:58 AM
Will Apple ever change the stupid idea of the menu bar at the top of the screen all the time?

It's obvious why it was designed this way.

Years ago screen real estate was at a premium, every pixel/scan line counted and to have menus on every window would of meant less room for windows on screen, so let's just have the one menu. So on our small, low res screens it will work better.

And that is a fair and good way of thinking.

Today with say 1200 horizontal lines, lets say 1920x1200, this idea falls away and we now find that we may have a small program at the bottom of the screen, and have to move al the way up to the top of our LARGE screen to access the menus.

That's not a productive way to do anything, You would wish the menu's to be close to the program, to minimise pointer movement.

Do you think they are just unable to make this change for no other reason that "that's how it's always been" thinking?

j800r
Jul 25, 2012, 10:59 AM
Guys, I just finally got ML installed on my iMac and I have a question. Is there a gesture for notification centre with the Magic Mouse. Seems stupid that they'd have one for the trackpad and NOT the magic mouse. :(

If I have the NC up and swipe two fingers to the right it gets rid of it but I can't seem to find one to bring it up.

Mattie Num Nums
Jul 25, 2012, 10:59 AM
LOL Again, more FUD.

Reformat your machines. AD bugs were present, that doesn't mean it "didn't work" and SMB works perfectly fine for me and has through Lion into ML.

Try again Troll.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3198558?start=15&tstart=0

You already have proven you have no clue what you are talking about. How will reformatting change something Apple changed in AD bind? How is it that all the sudden AD and SMB worked for people in 10.7.3? You home users crack me up! You guys know so much because you surf Facebook and use GIMP!

drorpheus
Jul 25, 2012, 11:01 AM
Maybe you can bring your genius out from behind the genius bar and come up with the next great thing that will satisfy every critic and keep shareholders happy.

Yeah sure, quit devoting all the companies resources to cell phones. Stop being a mobile device mfg. and start releasing hardware and software that actually warrants the upgrade, not .2 incremental bumps. One of the richest companies in the world and act like they have $120 to thier name for R&D.

melendezest
Jul 25, 2012, 11:02 AM
For those that hated Lion, I sympathize with you, although I don't agree with everything. Many have posted legitimate reasons for their dislike of Lion, as the OS wasn't perfect. I agree with many of their assertions.

At least for me, all the issues I had were fixed or able to bring back to their SL version (finder window options), but I am coming from a strict consumer perspective. I work in the Windows workspace, but VMware takes care of that for me.

However, I can't say that Lion was pointless, as some in this forum argue. When coupled with a Magic trackpad, (or an MBP, of course), it comes alive. For me, it was worth the upgrades just for the gesture based navigation and control. So in the interest of balance, I'll point out why Lion was a good OS for me:

- I thought Launchpad was pointless before I got the Magic Trackpad. But once I got it, no more looking for the dock. Five-finger pinch, and my apps are there. Fast.

- While Spaces was useful, I find the new multiple desktops superior, just because of the linear navigation. This right here is my favorite feature, and I just cannot live without it. Four-finger swipe and I'm where I need to be. Again, fast as hell and super intuitive. Excellent for multiple VMs, etc.

- As a household with a lot of iOS devices (big family), the iCloud integration was a bonus too.

Those are just 3 of the main reasons why I like Lion. ML looks like it'll take whatever issues I had with Lion and obliterate them completely. Can't wait to get it!!

And if you don't have a magic trackpad, get one! Some of you may really be missing out.

EBreakingWave
Jul 25, 2012, 11:02 AM
Installed fine straight from SL on my Mid '09 MBP 2GB. Nice and smooth thats for sure :)

Fans are running fast and the machine is a little hot, but I'm hoping that's because Spotlight is indexing and will be normal once it's done :o

milo
Jul 25, 2012, 11:04 AM
Sounds like what I've been saying all along. Some new features, some more appealing than others, but not a ton of them, and some major improvements in performance.

Honestly, I'm way more interested in "snappy" than new features, it's just too bad Lion was a step backwards in that department.

Mac21ND
Jul 25, 2012, 11:05 AM
Yeah sure, quit devoting all the companies resources to cell phones. Stop being a mobile device mfg. and start releasing hardware and software that actually warrants the upgrade, not .2 incremental bumps. One of the richest companies in the world and act like they have $120 to thier name for R&D.

If you were Apple, where would you spend your money based on this:

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/07/2q12_revenue_history.jpg

robopath
Jul 25, 2012, 11:05 AM
Lovely....

I looked at the MS and apple support forums and could not find anything definitive. I'm rolling the dice for office 2008, I'll let you know in a bit if I have any issues...

theanimaster
Jul 25, 2012, 11:06 AM

On the contrary, Lion/Mountain Lion adds a hell of a lot in terms of desktop management -- IF you use a trackpad.

Until Lion I had hardly ever had a use for Spaces, but with the multi-touch gestures and Mission Control, I simply cannot go back to how I used to manage all the dozens of floating windows from dozens of open apps and all -- without multi-touch and mission control.

When I need to get from point A to point B, I instinctively do a gesture and I'm there in a second. Maybe less.

It's so brisk my students wonder how I manage to get around so quickly on my mac. For me it's become common practice -- but I find that when I go to my wife's white macbook without multi-touch I literally stumble around the open windows and have to constantly search out and peck at the navigation keys on the keyboard. With multi-touch and mission control you don't take your eyes off what you're doing on the screen. Everything is really at the command of your fingertips.

But, again, if you don't use a multi-touch trackpad, then yes, you will miss out on one of the most important things about Lion/ML.

But that's just ONE of the most important things.

jomirrivera
for me, safari feel snappier!
loool

melendezest
Will Apple ever change the stupid idea of the menu bar at the top of the screen all the time?

It's obvious why it was designed this way.

Years ago screen real estate was at a premium, every pixel/scan line counted and to have menus on every window would of meant less room for windows on screen, so let's just have the one menu. So on our small, low res screens it will work better.

And that is a fair and good way of thinking.

Today with say 1200 horizontal lines, lets say 1920x1200, this idea falls away and we now find that we may have a small program at the bottom of the screen, and have to move al the way up to the top of our LARGE screen to access the menus.

That's not a productive way to do anything, You would wish the menu's to be close to the program, to minimise pointer movement.

Do you think they are just unable to make this change for no other reason that "that's how it's always been" thinking?

I wish that it at least be able to be "auto-hide". However, I think full-screen apps do that. So I think that with full-screen apps, and multiple desktops, a compromise is struck with those that want it to be persistent.

papoopeepoo
Oh great, another 4GBs to download. This will take 8 hours at full speed on my connection. Should I wait months for (maybe) a flash drive to be released?

I want DVD distribution back. My Mac Pro and MBP both have optical drives, and my computers are both newer and faster than many of the computers anyone I know has. I'm sorry, but most of the world's internet connection isn't fast enough to leisurely download 4GBs in a feasible amount of time.

Maybe I'm being impatient.

milo
Jul 25, 2012, 11:07 AM

Frankly I don't care about how "fancy" the word is. In this particular case, they're right.

melendezest
Jul 25, 2012, 11:08 AM
On the contrary, Lion/Mountain Lion adds a hell of a lot in terms of desktop management -- IF you use a trackpad.

Until Lion I had hardly ever had a use for Spaces, but with the multi-touch gestures and Mission Control, I simply cannot go back to how I used to manage all the dozens of floating windows from dozens of open apps and all -- without multi-touch and mission control.

When I need to get from point A to point B, I instinctively do a gesture and I'm there in a second. Maybe less.

It's so brisk my students wonder how I manage to get around so quickly on my mac. For me it's become common practice -- but I find that when I go to my wife's white macbook without multi-touch I literally stumble around the open windows and have to constantly search out and peck at the navigation keys on the keyboard. With multi-touch and mission control you don't take your eyes off what you're doing on the screen. Everything is really at the command of your fingertips.

But, again, if you don't use a multi-touch trackpad, then yes, you will miss out on one of the most important things about Lion/ML.

But that's just ONE of the most important things.

Great minds...

El Burro
Jul 25, 2012, 11:09 AM
Snow Leopard was the best to date.

Lion took away several key features & forced you to do things their way (Apple getting arrogant & becoming more like Microsoft).

I.E. Save As, removal of expose, iOS stupidification, Launchpad, etc.

Of course, there are many of you Apple-fan-girls who believe that Apple can do no wrong, but it is slowly turning into the new Microsoft & I'm starting to be more interested in what Microsoft has to offer these days. I haven't been interested in what Microsoft has to offer since Windows 95, and Windows 8 is really interesting (I've been using Apple products since the 80s). Competition is always a good thing. Freedom is always a good thing.

The 90s was Windows.
The 2000s was OS X.
What will this decade bring?

"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

AppliedMicro
Jul 25, 2012, 11:10 AM
From what I can see in the reviews, Mountain Lion seems to address many of my gripes with Lion (10.7).

Many applications still look tacky (faux leather etc.) to downright hideous. Greyscale icons are still harder to identify than Snow Leopard's colored ones. So Snow Leopard's look still reigns supreme for me.

But at least some functionality seems to have been restored, particularly things (3 columns in Contacts, calendars sidebar in Calendar) that quickly made me ditch Lion last year.

Can't wait to upgrade. I will certainly not fall in love with any incarnation of (Mountain) Lion but as I want to run current/new apps (like iMessage), I have no choice.

milo
Jul 25, 2012, 11:10 AM
Oh great, another 4GBs to download. This will take 8 hours at full speed on my connection. Should I wait months for (maybe) a flash drive to be released?

So let me get this straight, waiting 8 hours is too long, but waiting months is OK?

8 hours, just start it before you go to bed, I don't see what the problem is. Sure, some people have slow connections that would take days or weeks, but overnight doesn't seem like a big deal for me, I've bought software that's been 20+ gigs, there's a download purchase I'm considering that's coming out in a couple weeks that's over 50. That is days for me but I'm fine with that.

MisterK
Jul 25, 2012, 11:11 AM
I think that the more incremental update is a deliberate ninja move by Apple to get into enterprise while Microsoft is causing confusion there with Windows 8. Imagine that the large offices have broken out into a wild jungle sending users into a panic and Apple is opening a familiar door and directing people in. "This is a world you mostly already know. It might be time to try Apple since you'll have a learning curve even if you stay with Windows."

I'd like to see what Apple's plan for the next 10 years looks like. I'd love to see what a major jump looks like, but I think that this is a play for market share. Being bold with the desktop metaphor at the same time as Microsoft is not a great idea. I want them to do it, but it doesn't make sense for them to do it just yet.

I also think that Apple's major leap to the next version of their OS (11?) is not going to be as major as Microsoft's was. Sure, there's reason to update things... I love the live tiles. The idea that things don't need to be static and letting the computer take care of more stuff on my behalf, but I think that with Metro, Microsoft may have thrown out the baby with the bathwater. They've ignored the last 30 years of learning about interfaces. Full colour icons are still incredibly valuable in finding things. Gradients are still important on buttons to show you that something is clickable. There are best practices that Microsoft is ignoring in order to feel futuristic. It's like the see-through monitors in Avatar; sure it looks futuristic, but it's actually not the best approach practically.

Apple's best tactic right now is to mostly stand still and update incrementally. We'll see how many panicked enterprise users come over to the Mac side, and then Apple gives something that looks like a solid foundation for the next 10 years – futuristic, but building on what they've learned.. without starting over.

AppleMad98004
Jul 25, 2012, 11:14 AM
I am not home on my Mac with Lion 10.7 so I would like to ask.....

Does anyone know if the iMessages program beta expired and if this is a Mountain Lion only option now?????

madsci954
Jul 25, 2012, 11:15 AM
As some have already said, I think Gizmodo has some bias against Apple since the whole iPhone 4 in a Bar situation. Also, Gizmodo articles have been pretty poor lately, I can't even the last time I read one of their articles.

drorpheus
Jul 25, 2012, 11:17 AM
If you were Apple, where would you spend your money based on this:

On the computer company I own thats been on the back burner since 2009.

Jack97
It would be nice if the halfwits stopped quoting opinion as "fact." Fact is you have made an opinionative statement that is about as factual as Bill not having sexual relations with Monica.

MacRumors.Com, where kids whom hate Apple come to hang out because their parents don't love them.

Please, for your own sake, get over yourself.

Oh, and using "whom" in a comment just makes you look moronic.

Pamani
I am not home on my Mac with Lion 10.7 so I would like to ask.....

Does anyone know if the iMessages program beta expired and if this is a Mountain Lion only option now?????

i am still getting messages in the beta.

iSee
...Apple innovates too quickly, and Apple innovates too gradually...

Ha, ha, I noticed that too. I think it's that certain people only evaluate visual changes to asses innovation. From that perspective ML doesn't "innovate" at all. On the other hand, Apple is moving very quickly with usability/workflow enhancement (well, I think they are enhancements, I know some dont' like the Lion changes.)

(But I choose caution: wait until a point update or two. I don’t want to be a guinea pig with bragging rights.)

Luckily for me I have two Macs. One I can put anything on (I'll wait a day or two for ML to avoid download delays) while the other is for work, with which I'm very cautious.

smoledman
Apple's best tactic right now is to mostly stand still and update incrementally. We'll see how many panicked enterprise users come over to the Mac side, and then Apple gives something that looks like a solid foundation for the next 10 years – futuristic, but building on what they've learned.. without starting over.

There are no panicked enterprise users. First off - it's the CIO who decides which OS is going to be used in an enterprise not the run of the mill employee. Second, Windows 7 is still going to be huge in enterprise upgrades for some time. During that time Microsoft will educate CIOs about the advantages of Windows 8 under the hood:

New logon methods(PIN, picture password)
New easy restore
User account integration

Windows To Go is an upcoming Windows 8 Enterprise feature that will allow users to create a bootable USB Flash drive (usually called a Live USB) with Windows 8 in it, including the user's programs, settings, and files. That one CIOs are really going to love.

Storage Spaces is a storage virtualization technology which succeeds Logical Disk Manager and allows the organization of physical disks into logical volumes similar to Logical Volume Manager (Linux), RAID1 or RAID5, but on a higher level.[27]

Client Hyper-V - brings type 1 hypervisor to Windows

and so on.

ouimetnick
Jul 25, 2012, 11:19 AM

I hate Lion. WiFi issues at school.. SL works fine. Safari is crap. two tabs open, and it hangs, and I have to force a reload.

Then I always have the check box unchecked so when I restart, I don't have every windows open (otherwise it takes forever to get backup and running) and when I have to force a restart (power button) it ignores the fact that the check box isn't checked, and puts everything back where it was.

HUGE pita. I'm hoping ML will be fixed with the Safari issues, and WiFi issues are fine. The Apple rep for our school said Apple is aware of the WiFi issues, and suggest installing the 10.6 (SL) WiFi Kext. WTF. I want a fix!!!

Thunderhawks
Jul 25, 2012, 11:21 AM
Says is downloading, but it doesn't look like its really downloading.

Started my DL early this morning and after about 4 hours the status bar is now showing a sliver of light blue.

Will probably an all day event:-)

papoopeepoo
Jul 25, 2012, 11:30 AM
So let me get this straight, waiting 8 hours is too long, but waiting months is OK?

8 hours, just start it before you go to bed, I don't see what the problem is. Sure, some people have slow connections that would take days or weeks, but overnight doesn't seem like a big deal for me, I've bought software that's been 20+ gigs, there's a download purchase I'm considering that's coming out in a couple weeks that's over 50. That is days for me but I'm fine with that.

Fair enough, but i'm also considering that the download might fail halfway at 5AM before I'm awake. The download factor isn't going to deter me from buying, especially because I've been using Apple computers since the Apple IIse was released. But, how unfeasible was it that they release DVD alongside the download release? I'd gladly copy the files to my HD for backup, and recycle the media.

I'm old school. Give the OS on 4000 floppies and I'll boot it like the storage-less machines of olde :D

wovel
Jul 25, 2012, 11:31 AM

Jesus is still upset about the iPhone 4.

Lone Deranger

Yep. Gizmodo is the Fox of wannabe internet journalism. Not worth a single click.

JAT

In-fact I consider it good business practice that both Adobe and Apple know how their products are compatible with each other ready for release. It provides a better customer experience.
You realize in your camera-lens metaphor, the lens company equates to Adobe. Which is what other posters have been saying, Adobe needs to answer the question.

KALLT
Jul 25, 2012, 11:32 AM
Notes via iCloud does not seem to work for me yet. I can’t enable it on my iPhone when my account has no MobileMe address (I’m using a Yahoo! account). This means my notes on my Mac won’t be pushed to my iPhone and vice versa.

iCloud tabs doesn’t work either yet. Can we expect an iOS update soon? It would be a shame having to wait until iOS 6 comes along, even though this feature has been heavily advertised.

Furthermore, it seems that Apple has left traces of Twitter sharing in each sharing button, even though I don’t use it. Very sloppy if you ask me.

coryndiego
Jul 25, 2012, 11:38 AM
I downloaded, installed and made a boot/recovery SDHC card of Mountain Lion in about an hour before work this morning. So far so good!

Why is it taking people 4-8 hours? Thanks to Cox for a speedy connection!!

ristlin
Jul 25, 2012, 11:39 AM
You answered your own question. It's too simple, and while that is great practicality-wise, inevitably, people are going to get bored of the simplicity (after 5 generations of the same design). As for asking what people want, that's not the point. Apple's philosophy is that the consumer doesn't know what he/she wants. If you asked a person what more they wanted from a smartphone before the first iPhone was released, do you think they could've listed every single feature that made the iPhone so successful? If any person could do that, then why didn't any other companies try to invent the iPhone before Apple did? Same thing for the iPad.

Bored of simplicity? I'd never get bored of simplicity. I'm happy with the direction they are taking.

cvaldes
Jul 25, 2012, 11:40 AM

Yes, but ultimately, it is Adobe who must tailor their application to work within the constraints of the operating system.

Remember that the operating system is a big complicated program that lets other big complicated programs live together in (relative) harmony.

Apple really can't exhaustively test every single application because they aren't probably familiar with how each and every function is supposed to behave. The people who wrote the application can best do that and after all, Adobe engineering are the ones with access to the Adobe source code and can make changes.

It's Apple's responsibility to provide a reasonable stable set of libraries and APIs so that third-party developers have a stable base on which to work.

And this isn't exclusive to Apple. Windows, Solaris, Linux, OS X, whatever. The onus of supporting applications falls on the vendor.

As an Adobe customer, you should be asking them to support their application. Plus, they have all the help documents, resources, etc. They are the experts on Adobe products, not Apple. If you want to know if ___ Adobe product will work on Mountain Lion, ask Adobe. They are the ones who will qualify the application and if necessary, create a patch to make it work on the new operating system and finally put something online that says, "supported on OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion".

nickn
Jul 25, 2012, 11:41 AM

So it's your way or the highway, correct? Ok, mr know it all... Will you be paying for me to upgrade to the totally cool and useful 10.7? I don't mean the $20 OS fee. First off since Rosetta was dropped for no reason, I mean because no one uses it, I will need new software. Microsoft office needs to be updated to the newest intel binary version, so let's say $100. I will also need you to repurchase other assorted PPC software, so let's add about $100 more on top of the previous $100. Next, my flat bed scanner uses PPC software, so I will need you to buy me a new scanner as well. Let's say $250 or so. For me to upgrade to the totally awesome and flawless 10.7, I would need to shell out around $475. That is totally worth it though, right? Spending almost $500 to upgrade an OS is not a flaw at all....... PM me the money and I will get right on it. Alternatively, you could substitute in an entire decent windows machine for that price, which wouldn't have any problems like this. If you intend on selling me on 10.8 though, that would be a requirement, as my 2008, I mean ancient, C2D Mac mini is apparently too old to even run the new OS. You say get a life, which totally makes you not sound like a d bag btw, but how should I do that if I need to work hard at a second job to pay for OS updates?

NorEaster
Jul 25, 2012, 11:41 AM
According to John Siracusa (Ars Technica):
"The Mac is a platform in transition. In Lion, OS X began shedding the well-worn trappings of traditional desktop computing at an accelerated rate. This trend continues in Mountain Lion. Where Lion stumbled, Mountain Lion regroups and tries again—while still forging bravely ahead in other areas.

As the second major refinement-focused release, it's easy to view OS X 10.8 as "what 10.7 should have been." The flip side of this argument is that the real-world mileage we’ve all put on Lion has helped Apple make the right kinds of adjustments in Mountain Lion."

And yet how many people (here and in the press) slammed MS for Vista? Win 7 is what Vista should have been but no one went easy on Microsoft. Funny how when Apple does this (ie, release a subpar OS version only to make it better with the next release), many folks are OK with it.

shiseiryu1
Jul 25, 2012, 11:43 AM
For anyone who has been wanting to mirror their laptop screen wireless on their HDTV this OS update is a no-brainer! Can't wait to try it out tonight. :)

powers74
Jul 25, 2012, 11:43 AM

Uh, ok n00b, go here.

http://roaringapps.com/

Which it looks like I'll be waiting 'till Adobe gets their junk together before I upgrade... Oh well. Looking forward to integrated notes & reminders tho.

adream
Jul 25, 2012, 11:44 AM
come and share your grief if you have an orphaned MacPro

https://www.facebook.com/AppleBringMountainLionSupportToEarlyMacPros

limo79
Jul 25, 2012, 11:45 AM
I agree with Gizmodo - minor changes. Almost the same performance. Please notice that there are no benchmarks/measurements at all and reviewers claim that is a little bit faster :D They shall also compare fresh installation of OS X 10.7.4 vs OS X 10.8. Only Gizmodo mentioned about it!

Game Center vs AppStore vs OS X 10.8 graphic interface inconsistency. These brown skins looked awful. Skins in 10.5 Leopard looked much much better!!!

Apple seemed to be too conservative company. No significant changes for professional advanced users.

Mr_Ed
Jul 25, 2012, 11:46 AM

I hope Lion comes back to the AppStore because many older machines that are supposedly not supported by ML can run Lion, and I thought Apple required Lion on the desktop for full transition to iCloud. My wife's MacPro1,1 (2006) is running Lion and she has the full iCloud thing going but we apparently won't be able to upgrade to ML.

Apple should still sell Lion but perhaps drop the price to $20 now that ML sells for $20.

pondosinatra
Jul 25, 2012, 11:47 AM
Jesus Diaz is an ass and is half the reason Gizmodo has taken a dump over the past year and a half. Proves the point any mouth breather that can type can write for a tech blog.

He may be an ass. But his comment about OS X being a "clusterf*ck of interface concepts" is bang on.

Orange Crane
Jul 25, 2012, 11:47 AM
For anyone who has been wanting to mirror their laptop screen wireless on their HDTV this OS update is a no-brainer! Can't wait to try it out tonight. :)
Yes, that is a feature I am most looking forward to as well. Fewer wires is always a plus.

SockRolid
Jul 25, 2012, 11:48 AM
[...] It feels like Apple has run out of ideas. Or worse, that Apple is too afraid to implement new concepts, fearing it will kill the company's golden goose. [...]

Siegler does bring up a defensible point here. Sure, Apple was pretty careful with Mountain Lion in terms of new features and UI tweaks. But it's getting pretty late in OS X's life cycle for major changes.

This is the 9th major release of OS X, starting with 10.0 way back in March 2001. If there is a 10.9, I would expect it to be carefully tweaked and subtly improved. It really feels like Apple is adding finishing touches to the OS X legacy.

But the next-gen desktop OS, whatever it will be called, is where Apple should really shake things up. It should be as different from OS X as OS X itself was different from Mac OS 9. A quantum leap. And who knows? Maybe in the OS XI time frame, ARM-based quad-core 64-bit Macs will be possible. That's about 2 or 3 years from now, I'd guess.

pondosinatra
Jul 25, 2012, 11:49 AM
The 90s was Windows.
The 2000s was OS X.
What will this decade bring?

Hopefully 'Other'.

CylonGlitch
Jul 25, 2012, 11:50 AM
Apple's new installer uses the Apple Time Travel (ATT) technology. It has the ability to install and complete before the current time, as shown from this screen shot (via iPhone) I took while installing on my laptop.
http://i.imgur.com/MrRXL.jpg

MarcusPearl
Jul 25, 2012, 11:51 AM

Still in My Purchases

l.w41sh
Jul 25, 2012, 11:53 AM
I thought this was funny.

Stuffed Mountain Lion scared some lady and she called 911.
Ironic.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/25/stuffed-mountain-lion-sca_n_1701342.html?ncid=webmail3

KPOM
Jul 25, 2012, 11:54 AM
As the second major refinement-focused release, it's easy to view OS X 10.8 as "what 10.7 should have been." The flip side of this argument is that the real-world mileage we’ve all put on Lion has helped Apple make the right kinds of adjustments in Mountain Lion.[/I]"

And yet how many people (here and in the press) slammed MS for Vista? Win 7 is what Vista should have been but no one went easy on Microsoft. Funny how when Apple does this (ie, release a subpar OS version only to make it better with the next release), many folks are OK with it.

Except it took Microsoft nearly 3 years to fix it, and they charged full price for the update. If Windows 7 were a $40 update and it came in 2008, people would have forgiven them for the Vista debacle.

Mainsail
Jul 25, 2012, 11:54 AM
Our 4 y.o. family MacBook is not eligible for the ML upgrade, so I will just stick with SL until the laptop fails....which could be a while. We primarily use mobile devices ( iPhone & iPad) now anyway, so the laptop really does not see much action. It is primarily a local storage device, but I am moving more of our photos and documents to the cloud. When we do use the laptop, it is for simple stuff that has been supported by the OS for years and years ( e.g. Excel, Word, and Quicken).

One of the issues all hardware and software manufactures face is that the home computer (desktop and laptop) is basically becoming an appliance....kind of like a refrigerator. The basic function is to keep food cold, so adding computerized water dispenser might be nice, but few people will trash their existing perfectly functional frig for this marginal improvement. If your computer supports ML, then it is probably a good deal at $20 to pick up some new features. If you need to buy a new machine to run ML, I think there are very few people willing to do this, especially when more and more computing needs are met by mobile devices.

SockRolid
Jul 25, 2012, 11:59 AM
I agree with Gizmodo - minor changes. [...]

Do you also agree with the rest of Gizmodo's quote? Here it is:

[...] what you really want to know is whether Mountain Lion is worth the upgrade. Let’s get that out of the way now — yes, it is definitely worth it.

Mountain Lion costs $19.99 and comes with more than 200 new features — that’s a bargain at twice the price.

Sounds like Gizmodo turned off their Mister Grumpypants filter momentarily.
Mommy must have gotten little Jesus some ice cream before he wrote that review.

Pianoblack3
Jul 25, 2012, 12:02 PM

It's a large feature.

Like how you avoided his other points, that must have tickled you? Picking the negatives in ones post… "Good one".

SockRolid
Jul 25, 2012, 12:07 PM
Our 4 y.o. family MacBook is not eligible for the ML upgrade, so I will just stick with SL until the laptop fails....which could be a while. [...] If you need to buy a new machine to run ML, I think there are very few people willing to do this, especially when more and more computing needs are met by mobile devices.

Sorry to hear that your older MacBook isn't eligible. I'm lucky: my ancient iMac and ancient MB Pro are both at the rock bottom of the eligibility list. And it's an arbitrary cutoff. ML runs very fast on my late 2008 MB Pro (2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo + 4GB RAM) so I imagine it would be very fast on earlier hardware.

One thing about Mac hardware (that the Wintel crowd tries very hard to ignore) is that the hardware simply lasts far longer on average than the typical Wintel PC. Brings the total cost of ownership down over time.

And I'm sure Microsoft is happy about the situation. Few people bother upgrading Windows because 1. it's fraught with danger and complexity, and 2. their PC will die or freeze up soon anyway. Wintel users just get whatever version of Windows is the latest when they buy a new PC. (And many corporate IT departments erase Windows 7 on brand-new PCs and re-image them with XP anyway.)

dZp
Jul 25, 2012, 12:08 PM
Do you also agree with the rest of Gizmodo's quote? Here it is:
lol
Jim Dalrymple != Jesus Diaz

aliensporebomb
Jul 25, 2012, 12:11 PM

Such as "Hello, Adobe. Hi. I am a user of Adobe Creative Suite and was wondering what your compatibility is for the new Apple OS X Mountain Lion OS. It is? Okay, thank you."

Apple is not the manufacturer of Adobe Creative Suite.

Rootus
Jul 25, 2012, 12:14 PM
My iMac gets a little nuts periodically, switching back and forth rapidly between running applications. Can't seem to figure out what it wants to have in the foreground. Probably should have waited for 10.8.1 before upgrading :D.

BornAgainMac
Jul 25, 2012, 12:16 PM
I liked the Lion version of Dashboard better. They add the search feature and then make navigation worst and use tiny icons. No preference settings to customize it like the Dock.

Pianoblack3
Jul 25, 2012, 12:17 PM
Such as "Hello, Adobe. Hi. I am a user of Adobe Creative Suite and was wondering what your compatibility is for the new Apple OS X Mountain Lion OS. It is? Okay, thank you."

Apple is not the manufacturer of Adobe Creative Suite.

CS6 doesn't run well on ML...

lilo777
Jul 25, 2012, 12:24 PM
For those that hated Lion, I sympathize with you, although I don't agree with everything. Many have posted legitimate reasons for their dislike of Lion, as the OS wasn't perfect. I agree with many of their assertions.

At least for me, all the issues I had were fixed or able to bring back to their SL version (finder window options), but I am coming from a strict consumer perspective. I work in the Windows workspace, but VMware takes care of that for me.

However, I can't say that Lion was pointless, as some in this forum argue. When coupled with a Magic trackpad, (or an MBP, of course), it comes alive. For me, it was worth the upgrades just for the gesture based navigation and control. So in the interest of balance, I'll point out why Lion was a good OS for me:

- I thought Launchpad was pointless before I got the Magic Trackpad. But once I got it, no more looking for the dock. Five-finger pinch, and my apps are there. Fast.

- While Spaces was useful, I find the new multiple desktops superior, just because of the linear navigation. This right here is my favorite feature, and I just cannot live without it. Four-finger swipe and I'm where I need to be. Again, fast as hell and super intuitive. Excellent for multiple VMs, etc.

- As a household with a lot of iOS devices (big family), the iCloud integration was a bonus too.

Those are just 3 of the main reasons why I like Lion. ML looks like it'll take whatever issues I had with Lion and obliterate them completely. Can't wait to get it!!

And if you don't have a magic trackpad, get one! Some of you may really be missing out.

I still can't understand Apple and some Mac users obsession with trivial things like starting an application or finding a window. Is it really that difficult to do in OS/X? You'll never see any discussions among Windows users about the ways to launch the apps but that's about 90% of all Mac user discussions. Do Mac users suffer from ADHD more than Windows users? Unlikely. Then what is it? Expensive hardware might be one reason (people can't afford dual monitor setups). What else?

CylonGlitch
Jul 25, 2012, 12:25 PM
Looks like all updates now go through the MAS. If I go to :apple:-Software Update... it takes me to the MAS.

It DID detect I had iWork that needed to be updated even though it was purchased on DVD.

KurtangleTN
Jul 25, 2012, 12:28 PM
Oh my god I can't believe how magical and absolutely brilliant the twitter integration is.. absolutely stunning. It is unbelievable, one of the best things I've ever seen and it's really a game changer!!!!!!! :apple::apple::apple:

CylonGlitch
I thought this was funny.

Stuffed Mountain Lion scared some lady and she called 911.
Ironic.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/25/stuffed-mountain-lion-sca_n_1701342.html?ncid=webmail3

Considering that Mountain Lions are not uncommon in that area; and it was a real mountain lion (just stuffed), she made the right call.

picciano

Yes, that is a feature I am most looking forward to as well. Fewer wires is always a plus.

I guess I should have read the specs...My 2010 MBP does not support AirPlay mirroring. Only the 2011 and later models do.

I am bummed. That was my main reason for upgrading.

JAT
Jul 25, 2012, 12:31 PM
Probably closer to "that's how Windows has always been" for the window-based menus.