Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kaiser-soze

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
Does it make sense to get new iPod Classic?
Just noticed that these are gone from Refurb store (US, UK, DE etc...) and only new ones are available.

I have two ipods but the classic one has the bigger storage - this the main reason for getting one.

Apple has not updated classic ipods for a while and I am not sure if Apple will make them obsolete.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
I would get one. I bought one myself about a month ago. I went to BestBuy since they are about $20 cheaper than Apple. I'm also thinking of getting a Nano so I can use up some of my BB reward certs.

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Does it make sense to get new iPod Classic?
Just noticed that these are gone from Refurb store (US, UK, DE etc...) and only new ones are available.

I have two ipods but the classic one has the bigger storage - this the main reason for getting one.

Apple has not updated classic ipods for a while and I am not sure if Apple will make them obsolete.

What exactly does it mean for Apple to make them obsolete? do you mean apple stops selling them? Then so what. If apple stops selling them, that has no impact on their functionality.

Or do you mean that other products will match its storage. Thats possible eventually, but the prices will not be comparable (see how much the top tier iPod touch costs now)

If you need the larger storage space, its kind of a no brainer. If you don't, consider what features you are actually getting for the different models and what that is worth to you.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
I'd say go for it :D I got one from the Marketplace forum (160GB). I'm planning on getting a new headunit for my truck so I'll be able to listen to my iPod now instead of burning MP3's onto disc (yeah, some of us still do this). With the Classic, I'll be able to take my entire iTunes library with me. I also have a current gen nano which I use for travel/working out. I'm glad I got the Classic as I've been wanting one for some time now.

brandyboot

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2012
For the price of $20... I think it is OK to buy iPod Classic... cheaper + bigger storage capacity... :)

brandyboot

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2012
You won't find an iPod for $20 anywhere unless it's been run over by a car which would have less storage.

ooops... this: "BestBuy since they are about $20" got my eyes but not the whole thing... sorry for the confusion. :eek:

kaiser-soze

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
Thanks guys,

I will go for it as I am looking for the larger storage. My library isn't impressive but Classic allows me to store movies as well.

Ideally I would go for refurbished one (my touch and nano are also refurbished), but they are not present there anymore so the only option for me is the brand new one -I want to have a product with the warranty.

Cheers!

brandyboot

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2012
My old iTouch 2nd gen is also a refurbished unit... and it is still in a good condition right now... you may just consider purchasing cases/pouch :D

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
I recommend buying one now. The iPod Touch is good but severely crippled by 64gb. With the Classic you get a whopping 160gb. That's still not enough for me but I make do. I love the classic model.

rick3000

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
West Coast
I don't think it will be updated anytime soon, nor will it be discontinued until SSD costs come down signifcantly. The iPod Classic is not as sexy, but a lot of people still buy them.

My 120GB was free with my MBP a few years ago, and it lives in my car, couldn't recommend it more highly to tote everything everywhere!

wooddorf

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2009
I bought one with a dead battery for $10 and took it to a retail store to get a refurb. Total cost: $73

HishamAkhtar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2011
I don't think it will be updated anytime soon, nor will it be discontinued until SSD costs come down signifcantly. The iPod Classic is not as sexy, but a lot of people still buy them.

My 120GB was free with my MBP a few years ago, and it lives in my car, couldn't recommend it more highly to tote everything everywhere!

It's possible that the iPod Classic is the sexiest thing to come out of Cupertino.

nsbio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
NC
My wife bought me one about a month ago. I had the last gen Nano but I wanted something that I could use for audiobooks, which Nano wasn't good at (no way to navigate easily). Now I can navigate through the iPod without looking at it and can fit my entire library on it. Arguably Classic is still the best iPod today because most people can use it to take their entire library with them.

bkar89

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2012
Norway
I bought an ipod classic to use along side my iPhone.

My iphone runs spotify and my ipod classic holds my itunes library. It does exactly what they say, it holds an almost infinite amount of songs, and a dedicated battery! (as in, its not shared with phone, camera, touch screen, wifi and so on)

I love that i can have this thing just laying somewhere, to just pick it up, and it most likely to have some battery left, even if its been totally forgotten for months.

its the old classic ipod, but larger capacity and better battery. if you remove that, its stuck in time, and that is exactly why its so great at what it does

I don't see Apple removing this anytime soon... shuffle or nano is in bigger trouble. It's a must have in my book!

polotska

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2007
Strictly as a music player, the Classic still beats the Touch and iPhone. Great for use in a car, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.