Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iwork_09_box_no_year-150x150.jpg

Alongside today's launch of OS X Mountain Lion, Apple has updated a number of its Mac applications to take advantage of new features and ensure compatibility with the new operating system. One of the key updates is to Apple's iWork suite, which has seen the addition of support for iCloud and Dictation.

For those users who purchased iWork apps through the Mac App Store, updates are available for Pages [Mac App Store], Numbers [Mac App Store], and Keynote [Mac App Store].

For those who installed iWork from a disc, Apple is offering iWork 9.2 Update via Software Update.
Keynote 5.2, Pages 4.2, and Numbers 2.2 are updated to take advantage of the following features available on OS X Mountain Lion:

- iCloud: Store documents in iCloud, and keep them automatically up-to-date across your Mac, iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, and the web. Changes made to a document on one device, automatically appear on all your other devices. This requires iWork for iOS 1.6.1 or later to be installed on your iOS device.
- Dictation: Speak words, numbers, or sentences, and watch them appear in your presentation, document, or spreadsheet.

The iWork apps are also enhanced to take advantage of the Retina display on new Mac hardware, so presentations, documents, and spreadsheets appear sharper and more vibrant.

Article Link: Apple Updates iWork with iCloud and Dictation for OS X Mountain Lion

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I find it very surprising they are continuing to use the "iWork '09" name... drop it Apple!

At least they acknowledge that it’s essentially still the same software. It hasn't been updated since it was released, with the exception of compatibility updates (as this one).

And it makes me mad. I love iWork, but it hasn’t been properly updated for years! There are still many bugs present and there is a lot of room for improvements. I wonder why iLife gets so much attention whereas iWork has received only very little. And now that iWork.com is gone, they basically removed one of the advertised features of iWork and replaced it with a more shallow iCloud support.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
At least they acknowledge that it’s essentially still the same software. It hasn't been updated since it was released, with the exception of compatibility updates (as this one).

And it makes me mad. I love iWork, but it hasn’t been properly updated for years! There are still many bugs present and there is a lot of room for improvements. I wonder why iLife gets so much attention whereas iWork has received only very little. And now that iWork.com is gone, they basically removed one of the advertised features of iWork and replaced it with a more shallow iCloud support.

Innocent question just out of curiosity: what features do you want added to iWork? Or do you just want change for the sake of change?

Bug fixes, IMO, don't necessarily warrant a name change. Adding major new features does. However, they should drop the '09 from the name. It makes it seem old, even though it probably works just fine anyways for most people.

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2006
The story appears right before I just sent screenshots in.

My Mountain Lion machine is seeing 2.06GB worth of updates spread across the iWork 9.2 update (I have a disc install), iPhoto 9.3.2, and iMovie 9.0.7.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I would like to see a OneNote-like note taking mode and references management in Pages. Keynote is perfect as far as I'm concerned.

I don't think we've seen updates because the devs have been working on the iOS apps.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Innocent question just out of curiosity: what features do you want added to iWork? Or do you just want change for the sake of change?

Primarily, I want them to fix bugs. My biggest grief with Pages so far is the line-spacing bug, which makes lines appear irregular once printed or exported to PDF (it’s clearly noticeable). Furthermore, Pages can’t really handle larger documents, especially with several tables in it. Feature-wise I am looking for more customisation options. I can’t format footnotes and lists the way I want them, heading and paragraph styles are too limited (for example if you have consecutive headings, they all use the same spacing, whereas MS Word allows me to change that behaviour for different headings). Hyphenation is not customisable and the default option is just not good enough. These are just a few things I want. When working with larger text documents, MS Word is just far more powerful, even though the features I am looking for are more or less basic. I don’t like to use other programs, because I find them too clunky to use, especially MS Word. Pages is a really good app with a clear and useful user interface, but it just lacks features that makes it outstanding for papers, theses or other academic documents.

danb77

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2007
I'm frustrated that the iWork apps still do not support Text Replacement. Wasn't that a Snow Leopard feature?!

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Apple still hasn't made this available in MAS for those with the physical product? Lame.

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
I have made many feature requests and bug reports for iWork so, yes, it is disappointing to note the lack of development. I will check through my bug list and see if any have been addressed.

I love my iPad and I'm sure those who use the iOS iWork apps think they are great, but I am bored by the lack of innovation on the OS X side - we're stuck with the lowest common denominator from now on. All innovation will have to be compatible with both iOS and OS X.

It's a shame, as I enjoy doing some pretty way out stuff with iWork on OS X. It's easy to say "what new features do you want" but there's no way I could have imagined half the new things added to iWork since its launch that I now use every day.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
The update mentions 'Dictation' So Lion is getting Dictation? Is this an error?

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Primarily, I want them to fix bugs. My biggest grief with Pages so far is the line-spacing bug, which makes lines appear irregular once printed or exported to PDF (it’s clearly noticeable). Furthermore, Pages can’t really handle larger documents, especially with several tables in it. Feature-wise I am looking for more customisation options. I can’t format footnotes and lists the way I want them, heading and paragraph styles are too limited (for example if you have consecutive headings, they all use the same spacing, whereas MS Word allows me to change that behaviour for different headings). Hyphenation is not customisable and the default option is just not good enough. These are just a few things I want. When working with larger text documents, MS Word is just far more powerful, even though the features I am looking for are more or less basic. I don’t like to use other programs, because I find them too clunky to use, especially MS Word. Pages is a really good app with a clear and useful user interface, but it just lacks features that makes it outstanding for papers, theses or other academic documents.

While I doubt I'll use those features, they sound like good features to me. I just get tired of people asking when new versions of apps come out without explaining why they want a new version.

The update mentions 'Dictation' So Lion is getting Dictation? Is this an error?

No. This just adds dictation support for ML, not Lion.

iDuel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Greece/USA
I thought this was weird. On the iWork main page it states that you need OSX 10.7.4 or later to run iWork for Mac.:confused:

kd5jos

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
Denver, CO
I just updated iWork

I just updated iWork. I was expecting docs in the cloud. Instead I can still publish to iWork beta and iWeb. I'm REALLY impressed. Why leave that code in the upgrade?

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
I just updated iWork. I was expecting docs in the cloud. Instead I can still publish to iWork beta and iWeb. I'm REALLY impressed. Why leave that code in the upgrade?

Because it's not July 31st yet.

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK

I wondered about that. I assumed it was because I'm not using Mountain Lion yet. Are you? Because if you are, it does seem odd that they would leave the iWork beta stuff in, with a few days left.

Presumably iWeb is still used by some people, if not on Apple's servers.

With iWork '09 now 3.5 years old with little more than maintenance updates, and now tied to iOS, the apps have become stale and unloved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.