Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daizhuo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
Just spent 350$ to buy a G4 Cube.
Sonnet 1.8Ghz, 512MB RAM, 120GB HD, GeForce MX 2 32M,Pair G4 Cube specific orb speakers.
It seems that it's very expensive for it. But I so much like G4 Cube that I could't wait to buy it.
Next setup, I plan to add 1G RAM more and replace HD with IDE SSD for it.
Am I crazy?

daizhuo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
hahahahaha........I think whether something worth to do depends on what do u think.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
I don't know that I would spend that much, however if it was in flawless condition and had everything with it that came with it when new I'd step up a little. Some of Apple's products are worth having just for their design aesthetics. It's even better if they work!

I spent $400 on an iPhone 4, and for all the headaches it has given me you probably got the better deal! :D

Next time just flush your unwanted money down the toilet. It'll be faster.

Imagine me pushing the Down Vote button on your post!

eddjedi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
I don't think it's a bad investment if nothing else if it's in good condition. I sold my 1990s Color Classic for $500 last year.

daizhuo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
We may spend lots of money to buy a new iPhone, or a new iPad. But I like iMac in 2000 or early. They are a great work of art. Don't u think today's iMac is not so attractive ?

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
We may spend lots of money to buy a new iPhone, or a new iPad. But I like iMac in 2000 or early. They are a great work of art. Don't u think today's iMac is not so attractive ?

I'm quite a fan of a 27" LCD screen versus a 15" CRT :D

Anyway, to each his own. Enjoy your Cube.

AndyCarolan

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012
UK
Sonnet 1.8Ghz, 512MB RAM, 120GB HD, GeForce MX 2 32M,Pair G4 Cube specific orb speakers.
It seems that it's very expensive for it. But I so much like G4 Cube that I could't wait to buy it.
Am I crazy?

Congrats, they look awesome... even today :)

Would be interesting to hear if the SSD makes much of a difference to the speed of it :)

daizhuo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
I'm quite a fan of a 27" LCD screen versus a 15" CRT :D

Anyway, to each his own. Enjoy your Cube.

fig11g4cube.jpg

Look, a great picture for G4 Cube.
hahaha......I found some people love old computers like us.

----------

Would be interesting to hear if the SSD makes much of a difference to the speed of it :)
Some one had add a SSD via FireWire as system partition, and he said it's great.

AndyCarolan

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012
UK
Some one had add a SSD via FireWire as system partition, and he said it's great.

I would have thought that the Firewire would be a considerable bottleneck for the SSD. Much better to replace the HDD inside with it I think. Should be quicker that way :)

daizhuo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
Is there still someone like me plan use G4 Cube to do something? It's not suitable to work using it, but daily entertainment can.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
G4 cube too slow?

Take a mac mini logic board and give it a serious upgrade (it'll run cooler, too!)

Try to be tasteful with the modding, however. The cube is a classic design which should be treated with respect: ie left as original as possible!

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
If you've got the cash and wanted the machine - I think it's great. Collecting isn't typically about investment or getting practical use out of the Mac.

I wouldn't spend $350 on a Cube, but that's only because I'm not a huge Cube guy. But right now I'm looking for a Quadra 800 in really nice shape, and would spend a couple hundred on the right machine. Most people wouldn't take an 800 for the cost of shipping. ;)

Pompiliu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
Nice machine.

I'm looking for an iMac G4, i just love that design. I think it would look nice on my desk. :)

I'll buy a 20-inch iMac from '04. Specs:
  • 20-inch display, 1680x1050, 16:10 aspect ratio
  • 1.25Ghz G4
  • 80GB 7200rpm ATA HDD. I'll upgrate it to a larger one, or i might add a SSD (to they come with ATA connector?)
  • 1GB of RAM. I'll upgrade to 2. Should be pretty cheap on ebay.
  • FX5200 graphics card with 64 megs. that's pretty crap. :(
  • Mac OS X 10.5.8 aka Leopard

Do you guys think i'll be able to play 720p videos (YouTube, .mkv files) ? :)

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Am I crazy?

I would have thought that the Firewire would be a considerable bottleneck for the SSD. Much better to replace the HDD inside with it I think. Should be quicker that way :)

The Cube's ATA bus is only 66MB/s and Firewire400 gives you a theoretical 50MB/s - Added to that the additional translation layers of FW400, I'd imagine the internal ATA Bus would be theoretically faster. However, a PATA SSD is going to give you over 250MB/s, clearly saturating the 66MB/s Bus.

http://developer.apple.com/legacy/m...Macintosh_CPUs-G4/PowerMacG4Cube/trin-54.html

I think the real advantage is the pseudo internal seek and access time of the HD vs SSD.

The following OWC video gives you an idea, BUT remember, the machine they're using has an ATA100 Bus rather than the ATA66 of the Cube.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/internal_storage/Mercury_Extreme_Pro/Legacy_Edition

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
I think the real advantage is the pseudo internal seek and access time of the HD vs SSD.

Another advantage would be the silence. Not that modern HDDs are particularly loud, but I remember a big part of the Cube's design being the lack of an internal fan, and going SSD would be an extension of that philosophy.

havokalien

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2006
Kelso, Wa
Cube

350 is kind of high. Could have looked around since you plan on upgrading it more. It's a nice machine. I have one, I just repaired the speakers from a pair of apple pros, the surrounds look great in white. I'm looking for a processor upgrade myself. I added a DVD dl drive with a slim IDE adaptor and floppy connector. Got 1.5 gigs of ram and 120 gig hard drive so I didn't have to mess with the size issue. It plays DVDs like a champ. I did install the fan mod just to keep it cool because of the ati 7500 I put in it. I collect old apples so current use is not an issue, cool factor is.

Have fun with yours.

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
congrats on buying the cube it would make a great main machine if hooked up to a cinema display and max out the ram with a ssd it would blow 1st gen mac minis and 1st gen airs out of the water!

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Very nice. I use my Cube all the time. Good find with the speakers. Those alone sell for $35-$50 on eBay. If the G4 inside of it is a 7448, you've gotten a really good deal on that machine as the G4 itself is worth more then that. The graphics card is a hot one and slightly under powered for Leopard. A GeForce 6200 would be the best video card for it, but it won't have an ADC port. I'd advise against an SSD. Put one in my Cube to test it out and didn't see much gain over the Maxtor 6L200P0 I already had it in when used in general computing. And if it doesn't already have a fan in it, put one it.

daizhuo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
The Cube's ATA bus is only 66MB/s and Firewire400 gives you a theoretical 50MB/s - Added to that the additional translation layers of FW400, I'd imagine the internal ATA Bus would be theoretically faster. However, a PATA SSD is going to give you over 250MB/s, clearly saturating the 66MB/s Bus.

http://developer.apple.com/legacy/m...Macintosh_CPUs-G4/PowerMacG4Cube/trin-54.html

The following OWC video gives you an idea, BUT remember, the machine they're using has an ATA100 Bus rather than the ATA66 of the Cube.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/internal_storage/Mercury_Extreme_Pro/Legacy_Edition

Thank u for ur information! It's a great help!

mkjj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Liverpool
Am I crazy?

I got one, same spec as yours, had mine for a few years now. If you could find a Sonnet 1.8 card these days it would be about what you paid for the whole thing! Enjoy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.