PDA

View Full Version : MacOS X Lion gone from Mac App Store

dfine1966
Jul 25, 2012, 09:16 AM
With the release of Mountain Lion, it looks like Apple took MacOS X Lion off of the Mac App Store for everybody, including Mac's that came with Lion and Mac's that purchased Lion. I know you still have the Restore Partition, but that is useles if you buy Mountain Lion, and don't like it, and want to go back to Lion. You now have no way to go back, unless you created a USB Flash Drive of Lion Install. The restore partition will now by Mountain Lion. I can't figure out why Apple would take it off their servers. I know they want to sell Mountain Lion, but people have a right to download something they already had purchased. Remember all those people that hated Lion and went back to Snow Leopard. At least they had a way to go back. The same could be said about those with Lion, and might want to go back, if they don't like Mountain Lion.

It looks like someone else was writing the same time as me, but I took longer to post. Had to go make daughter breakfast.

knifeyspooney
Jul 25, 2012, 09:24 AM
With the release of Mountain Lion, it looks like Apple took MacOS X Lion off of the Mac App Store for everybody, including Mac's that came with Lion and Mac's that purchased Lion. I know you still have the Restore Partition, but that is useles if you buy Mountain Lion, and don't like it, and want to go back to Lion. You now have no way to go back, unless you created a USB Flash Drive of Lion Install. The restore partition will now by Mountain Lion. I can't figure out why Apple would take it off their servers. I know they want to sell Mountain Lion, but people have a right to download something they already had purchased. Remember all those people that hated Lion and went back to Snow Leopard. At least they had a way to go back. The same could be said about those with Lion, and might want to go back, if they don't like Mountain Lion.

It looks like someone else was writing the same time as me, but I took longer to post. Had to go make daughter breakfast.

I'm still using Lion, and I can still download Lion from the Purchases tab in the MAS. Not sure if you can still download it this way using ML yet. Can someone confirm this?

toke lahti
Jul 25, 2012, 02:57 PM
R.I.P. Lion!
I've had enough of this Apple's bullying, will never buy a Apple product again!

alleycat
Jul 25, 2012, 03:03 PM
I'm close to saying the same thing.

I noticed OS X 10.7.4 vanished without a trace. I usually like downloading the previous system, after the next generation comes out…that way all the kinks are worked out. My old Mac Pro will be running Slow Leopard and that's it. No Lion for me.

Oh well Apple, I'm probably going to go out and buy a Windoze machine now. That's how crappy your support of legacy users is!!!

Peace
Jul 25, 2012, 03:06 PM
http://support.apple.com/downloads#macos

Nermal
Jul 25, 2012, 03:21 PM
I'm still using Lion, and I can still download Lion from the Purchases tab in the MAS. Not sure if you can still download it this way using ML yet. Can someone confirm this?

Yes, 10.7 still shows up in Purchases once you're running 10.8.

----------

I noticed OS X 10.7.4 vanished without a trace. I usually like downloading the previous system, after the next generation comes out…that way all the kinks are worked out.

Apple always discontinues the previous version of OS X once the new one is released. The only exception that I'm aware of is 10.6, and that's only because it's a prerequisite of 10.7 and 10.8.

toke lahti
Jul 25, 2012, 03:39 PM
Apple always discontinues the previous version of OS X once the new one is released. The only exception that I'm aware of is 10.6, and that's only because it's a prerequisite of 10.7 and 10.8.
10.6 is also gone from AppleStore.
I have no way to upgrade my MP1,1.
Thanks Apple for that and great "update" on MP!
<Cook repeating>“We’re never going to make the most personal computers. I don’t see that. But we are going to continue to make the best.”

Nermal
Jul 25, 2012, 03:48 PM
10.6 is also gone from AppleStore.

Hmm, so it has. I hadn't noticed that. You can probably buy 10.7 over the phone, although obviously I can't promise that.

toke lahti
Jul 25, 2012, 04:01 PM
Hmm, so it has. I hadn't noticed that. You can probably buy 10.7 over the phone, although obviously I can't promise that.
Naah, if this is their level to serve mac community, I'd rather download the torrent...

abz1981
Jul 28, 2012, 01:18 PM
if your mac came with Lion, and you upgraded to mountain lion, you can go back to lion. i spoke to apple and backed up all my data elsewhere, and deleted the HD and re-installed it from internet recovery. I think apple called it. I prefer lion at the moment. my MBA is running fine on lion and the new safari is running fine too.