Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thecork

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
Apple has a really annoying thing of ignoring subfolders in their OS's. Its like it in iOS, i was hoping it would be different with notification center and Mountain Lion.

I use a work exchange account which has some server side rules to auto move mails from certain people to certain sub-folders of my inbox. It helps me keep everything organised and its how i work well.

Unfortunately mail and now notification center ignore these new mails when they arrive (just like the same in iOS). They are showed as unread in mail but the badge icon doesnt count them unless they are in the inbox, and also i don't get a notification in NC when they arrive. Anybody else work like this or know how to fix that? It drives me crazy that although the badge icon says i have 1 mail, i might have 20 unread mails in subfolders...!

Thanks.

aquaboy

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2011
UK
I hate this too. How hard can it be to update the mail count too include subfolders. Whats the point in mailbox rules if the end result is no notification?
I'm hoping this will be fixed once VIP comes to iOS - but again, VIP on Mountain Lion is not currently cloned on iPhone, so when a VIP tag mail come in on Mountain Lion, you don't see the mail on iPhone..... Grrrrrr

ActiveVoice

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2012
Notification Center and Subfolders

Found the answer!

Mail Preferences -> General -> New Message Notifications. The default selection is inbox only; the other options are VIPs, contacts, all mailboxes, and smart folders. Tried it and it appears to work fine.

Cheers,
AV

aquaboy

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2011
UK
Yeah, i noticed that as well, but it's still not been pushed to ios devices, only on mac

Found the answer!

Mail Preferences -> General -> New Message Notifications. The default selection is inbox only; the other options are VIPs, contacts, all mailboxes, and smart folders. Tried it and it appears to work fine.

Cheers,
AV

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.