Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d4rklamp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
So, it seems that I can't get mail notification unless the Mail.app is open? I thought it would be like push notification on iOS. Am I doing something wrong? I hate leaving the Mail.app open all the time. Would be so much better if it worked like the Gmail Notifier (the latter does not work properly on Mountain Lion).

snowcrash

macrumors regular
May 30, 2011
Boston MA, USA
So, it seems that I can't get mail notification unless the Mail.app is open? I thought it would be like push notification on iOS. Am I doing something wrong? I hate leaving the Mail.app open all the time. Would be so much better if it worked like the Gmail Notifier (the latter does not work properly on Mountain Lion).

I'm having problems with all notifications. Everything is turned on and configured right but doesnt show a notification. If I open the notification sidebar it will show that I have a new iMessage but I don't get any popup alerts or banners.

nyolc8

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2012
I get notification for some emails only... it worked perfectly until now. (I'm using gm for about 2 weeks) :confused:
Twitter notification works.

AlanFord

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
Cro
For me, just integrated applications work, like reminders, notes..
Mail, App Store, all needs to be open to receive notification. Kinda sucks a bitt, dont see any purpose, if its open i see it either way.

CraigGB

macrumors regular
May 30, 2010
the swipe with two fingers isnt working for me on my trackpad....

I found I needed to start with my fingers on the right actually on the metal of my MBP then drag to the left, it is very hard to make it it work unless you start on the actual metal

if you are using the stand alone track pad... I don't know :confused:

andybrown44

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
Hull, UK
They don't work for me at all for Mail.

Messages only works for me if the App is closed.

All notifications are set to on. I don't know if I'm not understanding how they work or if they just aren't working properly...

EDIT: realised it was because i was testing it from my own email account. Doesn't give mail notifications from your own email address apparently

----------

I found I needed to start with my fingers on the right actually on the metal of my MBP then drag to the left, it is very hard to make it it work unless you start on the actual metal

if you are using the stand alone track pad... I don't know :confused:

Yeah you have to swipe ONTO the trackpad, it's so that it doesn't get confused between a normal 2 finger swipe and a notification center 2 finger swipe.

Last edited:

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
I hope they add a "delete" button for mail, so i don't even have to open the Mail.app to delete spam. :D

rocoloco

macrumors member
May 3, 2011
How and what is the use of notification centre with Safari? Among the others I also see Safari under system preferences > Notifications

GabooN

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2008
Windsor, Ontario
as far as swiping to open the notification centre on the trackpad, I have found that I like using my pinky and ring finger (right handed use of trackpad) instead of moving my whole hand right to use my index and middle finger.

Heston

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2007
yeah.....

so far this feature is a major bust. DP2 was horrible and would do weird glitches on me, GM at least doesn't crash with notifications. Problem is...it doesn't do what you really want it to do (like have Mail.app closed and still get notifications of emails).

And the swipe feature just seems awkward.

safari 6 is much better, but you didn't have to upgrade to ML to get it :rolleyes:

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
I don't know what people really expect of the notification feature. It's Apple's version of Growl integrated into the system. Of course some features will not work if the app isn't open. How could it work differently? :confused: to expect push notifications is ridiculous since not everybody has an exchange account or mobile me.

iwan073

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2011
The Netherlands
That's what I've been saying!
Why a notification center if you need to have mail open anyways?!

The dock icon will tell you if there's mail or not anyway! :rolleyes:

Same with all the other programs

Heston

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2007
I don't know what people really expect of the notification feature. It's Apple's version of Growl integrated into the system. Of course some features will not work if the app isn't open. How could it work differently? :confused: to expect push notifications is ridiculous since not everybody has an exchange account or mobile me.

I realize this. But...like everyone is saying, the notifications doesn't do more than give us a superfluous notifications (dock icon notifications + notifications notification).

Basically, what's the point..?

----------

Although, I did forget to mention that OSX notified me via Notifications that I needed to update my computer. Which I thought was kinda helpful!

Monsoonmalabard

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2011
I'm having problems with all notifications. Everything is turned on and configured right but doesnt show a notification. If I open the notification sidebar it will show that I have a new iMessage but I don't get any popup alerts or banners.

Same here. Rebooting didn't help. Anyone have a fix?

----------

From another thread:

Originally Posted by danb77
Note that emailing yourself is not a way to test NC, ML is clever enough to realise you sent it so it doesn't notify you!
This. Don't be stupid like me and try this

d4rklamp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
To be honest, I still can't see any good stuff out of Mountain Lion (been using for 2 weeks GM). I barely use the notification center as it does not work like I wanted it to. Message app is nice, but then again, sometimes it wont show notification when i get iMessage. I hate leaving Mail.app open, freaking big memory usage 90-100MB something heck no. As I spend most of my times on Adobe softwares and Autodesk Maya (big memory usage).

araah

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2012
apple should partner up with blackberry, so they can implement the push notifications on email. Blackberry does it really well, windows does it well, osx just fails at it.

Last edited:

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2012
UK
I can't get anything to show in the Notification Center. No Twitter, Emails or anything from the Messages App.

Everything is Enabled, I have tried restarting but nothing ends up in the Notification Center :(

Its driving me nuts!

EDIT:
Notifications from the Messages App now show in the Notification Center but even though Banners are enabled I get no Banner. I think its very temperamental at the moment :(

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
What's push got to do with it? Fundamentally all it needs is for the small part of Mail that deals with receiving emails, either by push or polling, exactly as it does now when the full app is running, to be running all the time in the background.

nyolc8

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2012
How and what is the use of notification centre with Safari? Among the others I also see Safari under system preferences > Notifications

There will be websites that can be notify you throught notification center. (popup ads in notification center :D)

Kalkie

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2012
Kent, UK
I like the email notification centre - which I never thought I would. I just leave the mail app minimised in the dock but I can see from the notification if the email is worth reading immediately or not. If not, I can just keep working and not keep wondering what the email is!

Works for me!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.