PDA

View Full Version : Apple's OS X Mountain Lion Up-to-Date Program Experiencing Early Hiccups

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

MacRumors
Jul 25, 2012, 01:09 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/25/apples-os-x-mountain-lion-up-to-date-program-experiencing-early-hiccups/)

With today's launch of OS X Mountain Lion, Apple's Up-to-Date program (http://www.apple.com/osx/uptodate/) has officially gone live. The program allows any user who purchased a Mac on or after June 11 to receive a free upgrade to OS X Mountain Lion if their system came with OS X Lion preinstalled. Customers who purchased server models such as the Mac mini server and Mac Pro server configurations can also receive free upgrades to Apple's latest server tools released alongside Mountain Lion.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/07/os_x_mountain_lion_up_to_date.jpg

Apple is apparently experiencing some early difficulties with the program, however, with some users reporting that their Mac App Store redemption codes for OS X Mountain Lion are not working and others still waiting to receive their codes. Some users were able to obtain codes earlier this week when the program briefly went live prematurely (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/23/apples-os-x-mountain-lion-up-to-date-application-goes-live-ahead-of-public-launch/), but the redemption difficulties appear to be affecting both early recipients and new applicants.

Apple support staff have acknowledged the difficulties and are advising customers that they may need to wait up to three days to receive replacement codes, although some replacement codes are reportedly already coming through without any action required by the users. Submitting the up-to-date program application a second time fails to generate new codes, as Apple's systems recognize that the machine serial numbers have already been used and thus refuse to complete the repeat applications.

Customers who purchased new Macs between June 11 and today have until August 24 to claim their redemption codes for OS X Mountain Lion, but many are undoubtedly anxious to install the new operating system as soon as possible. Users who purchase new Lion-equipped Macs starting tomorrow will have 30 days from the date of purchase in which to claim their free upgrades to Mountain Lion.

Article Link: Apple's OS X Mountain Lion Up-to-Date Program Experiencing Early Hiccups (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/25/apples-os-x-mountain-lion-up-to-date-program-experiencing-early-hiccups/)

Trik
Jul 25, 2012, 01:11 PM
Do we have a confirmed person who applied for Lion Up-To-Date and got a code and was successful in redeeming it and has downloaded?

kpress3
Jul 25, 2012, 01:12 PM
I called Apple about half an hour ago and the lady told me that Apple sent out duplicate codes to people and everyone should have their new codes within 24 hours.

nunes013
i was one who registered early on Monday. when i inputed it this morning it wouldn't work. i left to do some work and when i came back apple sent me a replacement code which worked. ML is installing now :) i didn't have to contact Apple or anything so the new codes are definitely coming!

MultiMediaWill
Typical of Apple post Jobs.

ugahairydawgs
Jul 25, 2012, 01:13 PM

You must not have been around for the original iPhone launch.

iMacFarlane
Jul 25, 2012, 01:13 PM
My code doesn't redeem in MAS, and I get "Serial Number already claimed" when I re-attempted registration in the up-to-date program. Patience . . . the posts above are actually encouraging.

kpress3
Jul 25, 2012, 01:14 PM
i was one who registered early on Monday. when i inputed it this morning it wouldn't work. i left to do some work and when i came back apple sent me a replacement code which worked. ML is installing now :) i didn't have to contact Apple or anything so the new codes are definitely coming!

This makes me very hopeful that mine will be coming soon! :)

Johnny Steps
Jul 25, 2012, 01:15 PM
My father bought an iMac June 8th... so I'm probably not eligible huh lol?

kpress3
Jul 25, 2012, 01:16 PM

No :(

wordoflife
Question: I'm guessing you'll get a code to download it to your apple account. Does this mean I can install it on another Mac too, or I'll have to repurchase it for another Mac.

muzzle79

Two options, call directly and see if they can help, if not talk with the store. Sometimes sweet talking them, they'll re-ring the transaction for you to get the promo.

No guarantees, but it's worth the shot.

fkhan3
This makes me very hopeful that mine will be coming soon! :)

I hope so, requested mine around 10:30am EST this morning and I am still waiting

andi242
hiccups? o rly?!

Been waiting for 5 hours now. ridiculous!

muzzle79
Jul 25, 2012, 01:17 PM
Question: I'm guessing you'll get a code to download it to your apple account. Does this mean I can install it on another Mac too, or I'll have to repurchase it for another Mac.

Apps tied to your App Store account are good for up to 5 systems.

Trik
Jul 25, 2012, 01:18 PM
I really wish for the Retina display, it would just auto let you download it, there is no way to purchase a Retina prior to 6/11, so just do a check and give it to us.

I only say that because of the "hiccups", and I am impatient. ;)

dukebound85
Jul 25, 2012, 01:18 PM
Apps tied to your App Store account are good for up to 5 systems.

no, 5 is only for media

MAS apps are good for any computer you use

Pianoblack3
Jul 25, 2012, 01:19 PM
hiccups? o rly?!

Been waiting for 5 hours now. ridiculous!

Jesus, is it the end of the world? It's an OS.

kpress3
Jul 25, 2012, 01:19 PM
I hope so, requested mine around 10:30am EST this morning and I am still waiting

I was told "within 24 hours" so hopefully that's just a number they throw out there and it's considerably less than that because I'm very anxious to get ML!

oldcelt
Jul 25, 2012, 01:20 PM
I don't want a new code. I still, almost 6 hours later, have not heard a dicky bird.
You would think a computer company would be able to set up a form properly. When I applied I was not able to select MacBook Air as that wasn't one of the choices. The form is set up for US users with no international variations for address formats.
WHY, when people are buying items worth much more from the iTunes store with just their Apple ID, can Apple not just use Apple ID plus machine serial number.
WHY do we need a wretched CODE for heaven's sake.:mad:

yocko
so they think that i am going to wait for three days to see if my code might or might not come in...

i suggest they will reimburse me the 20 bucks.

8.8 billion profit and they refuse to allocate trained IT staff to get this childplay trick right.

I am so ****ing sick of this company!

shelveen
i bought two macbook pros and sent for both codes this morning at 633amPST and got the redeem codes within 4 minutes

the redeem code worked for all my apple computers...so i still have one redeem code that i haven't used...i use two laptops..one for me and one for my brother and i also have an iMac at work...and when i logged in...it just asked me to download..so i guess it works across the account

strausd
I got a redemption code two days ago but it didn't work. Today, about 3 hours after ML went live, I got two new emails from Apple with a new code and it worked right away.

dcorban
Jul 25, 2012, 01:22 PM
This is absurd. I submitted my request at 930am. I got the code an hour later, but of course it doesn't work. I instantly submitted a support request and have had no response, not that it will matter.

I don't understand why there needs to be these redemption code hoops in the first place. The info we submit is enough for them to simply activate the download on our Apple ID. Even then, it doesn't make sense that it is taking five hours to regenerate codes.

The funny thing is that I made a post on the official Apple forums joking about how easy it is to download from bittorrent and my post was removed in 20 minutes. They sure know their priorities.

l.w41sh
Jul 25, 2012, 01:23 PM
I got a redemption code two days ago but it didn't work. Today, about 3 hours after ML went live, I got two new emails from Apple with a new code and it worked right away.

Lucky you!

borisiii
Jul 25, 2012, 01:23 PM
5.5 hours and no code. Come on Apple, this is **** !

l.w41sh
Jul 25, 2012, 01:24 PM
This is absurd. I submitted my request at 930am. I got the code an hour later, but of course it doesn't work. I instantly submitted a support request and have had no response, not that it will matter.

I don't understand why there needs to be these redemption code hoops in the first place. The info we submit is enough for them to simply activate the download on our Apple ID. Even then, it doesn't make sense that it is taking five hours to regenerate codes.

The funny thing is that I made a post on the official Apple forums joking about how easy it is to download from bittorrent and my post was removed in 20 minutes. They sure know their priorities.

I agree. I should be able to go to my "Purchased" tab and click download...

iKnowMr.Jobs
I got my ML copy via up to date with no problems. Even my install process was smooth.

strausd
Lucky you!

Haha I know! I was very surprised, especially since so many people have not been having great luck so far.

HiVolt
Wow. Apple has more money than god, and they can't get something this simple working smoothly?

What do they pay these devs and QC people?

iPusch
Jul 25, 2012, 01:25 PM
I am so annoyed of that whole crap thing, I mean why they didn't send the codes earlier :eek: :eek: :eek:

Semaphoric
Anyone know if I buy an MBA from Bestbuy that those machines will have Mountain Lion installed?

f00f
It's just a conspiracy to milk that 20 bucks. Apple are banking (literally) on patience collapsing and wallets opening.

It'll get sorted out.

jabingla2810
Jul 25, 2012, 01:26 PM
So I have to wait a little longer to get my FREE upgrade to my shiny new MacBook Air.

Such is life, mustn't grumble.

The sense of entitlement of some you is sickening. You do realise people are going hungry in some places of the world?

mac1984user
Jul 25, 2012, 01:26 PM
My e-mail came within about five minutes and the code worked just fine. I was really apprehensive about it, however! Good luck to all the rest.

AfzalivE
Jul 25, 2012, 01:27 PM
This isn't a hiccup. It's a coma -_-

blucable
Jul 25, 2012, 01:28 PM
I applied this morning at 7am, no replies so far... :(

TheByrus
Jul 25, 2012, 01:30 PM
Submitted my form and Tweeted (https://twitter.com/Turn_It_Out/status/228137310225580032) about it the same time at approximately 9:39 am CST. Still no code, as to be expected.

iKnowMr.Jobs
Jul 25, 2012, 01:32 PM
Anyone know if I buy an MBA from Bestbuy that those machines will have Mountain Lion installed?

Probably Not, I highly doubt that any retailer (Apple retail, Bestbuy or otherwise) received Mac shipments with Mountain Lion pre-installed in the last few days. I have no way of guaranteeing that but i can assure that Apple retail would probably have machines with ML installed in stock before Bestbuy will

CoMoMacUser
Jul 25, 2012, 01:34 PM
Jesus, is it the end of the world? It's a an OS.

Agreed. Waiting a few days or longer not only avoids the headache of overloaded servers, but also lets you learn about problems or maybe even get a patched version.

peejack
Jul 25, 2012, 01:35 PM
not working for me. I got my code within 10 minutes but won't let me download and says it's already been used. Im tempted to download and pay and then ask for them to credit me back.

dylanlive
Jul 25, 2012, 01:37 PM
Can anyone who successfully downloaded through up-to-date confirm if you can or cannot install it on other computers without putting ML on a Flash Drive?

dustinsroberts
Jul 25, 2012, 01:37 PM
I heard that if you hold it differently it will work. :)

OneMike
Jul 25, 2012, 01:38 PM
says code redeemed for me as well. sucks

HatterZero
Jul 25, 2012, 01:38 PM
took 1 hour to get my code got both my macs updated

l.w41sh
Jul 25, 2012, 01:39 PM
took 1 hour to get my code got both my macs updated

So far I am on day 3. Still waiting.

Tobias Funke
Jul 25, 2012, 01:40 PM

The computer ?!! :eek: :D

dcorban
Jul 25, 2012, 01:41 PM
I decided to go through with the trick to resubmit on the UTD page. I had to upload a copy of my "receipt" (I took a screenshot of my apple store invoice). Let's see if this speeds anything up.

If you try to re-submit your serial number, it will tell you that the serial is already submitted. However, if you click submit many times, it takes you to a page to upload your receipt and re-submit.

HatterZero
Jul 25, 2012, 01:42 PM
So far I am on day 3. Still waiting.

Cant be day 3 since it just launched today, and you are probably having issues since you registered when the site went live for an hour when it wasn't supposed to.

blucable
Jul 25, 2012, 01:42 PM
So I have to wait a little longer to get my FREE upgrade to my shiny new MacBook Air.

The sense of entitlement of some you is sickening. You do realise people are going hungry in some places of the world?

A question,

What does hungry people have to do with the mac os mountain lion free upgrade program??

Another question,

Why are you blaming most of us for the hungry people in the world? In my case, I had to upgrade to a mac so that I can keep up with my job's files in a better way than Windows.

Another question,

If you are so worried about people being hungry, why don't you make the first step, sell your mac on eBay and use the money to feed hungry people?

HatterZero
Jul 25, 2012, 01:44 PM
A question,

What does hungry people have to do with the mac os mountain lion free upgrade program??

Another question,

Why are you blaming most of us for the hungry people in the world? In my case, I had to upgrade to a mac so that I can keep up with my job's files in a better way than Windows.

Another question,

If you are so worried about people being hungry, why don't you make the first step, sell your mac on eBay and use the money to feed hungry people?

I think it was more about perspective.

dmk1974
Jul 25, 2012, 01:46 PM
I submitted mine and got the claim reference number on my screen almost 6 hours ago. Still no email :(

atysklind
Jul 25, 2012, 01:47 PM
I'm about to just purchase it for the $19.99 and contact Apple in hopes they will refund me when they get everything sorted out.

luqtotheman
Jul 25, 2012, 01:48 PM
submitted my request this morning

Haven't received any emails =/

still waiting.

AfzalivE
Is there no software on it right now? :confused:

Since I paid it after July 11th, I believe the price includes the upgrade. Hence we are entitled for the upgrade and we should've had it by now.

blucable
To wait (for free version) or not to wait (and spend $19.99)

That is the question. :confused:

beez1717
I still do not have a code even though I submitted all the info at around 11:00. Hmm. This is taking a while. I hope apple gets around to giving out the codes soon.

afurry13
Jul 25, 2012, 01:52 PM
I decided to go through with the trick to resubmit on the UTD page. I had to upload a copy of my "receipt" (I took a screenshot of my apple store invoice). Let's see if this speeds anything up.

If you try to re-submit your serial number, it will tell you that the serial is already submitted. However, if you click submit many times, it takes you to a page to upload your receipt and re-submit.

I've done that 5 or 6 times and still no luck.

----------

What do you think are the chances I get reimbursed for the upgrade if I were to buy it instead? I have a $100 back to school gift card I could use.

stoplis

I've just done this as I realised I had put the wrong date in for my purchase date, I was looking at the wrong apple store receipt.

l.w41sh

Just pay then complain.

dmk1974
I've done that 5 or 6 times and still no luck.

When I filled mine out this morning, it did not ask for a copy of the receipt at all. I bought mine from Best Buy. I just had to enter the date of purchase and serial number.

afurry13
Jul 25, 2012, 01:53 PM
When I filled mine out this morning, it did not ask for a copy of the receipt at all. I bought mine from Best Buy. I just had to enter the date of purchase and serial number.

The first time I did it, I did not need a proof of purchase. The next few times (every hour or so) I did need a receipt.

Mwongozi
Jul 25, 2012, 01:56 PM

It was advertised as being included when you bought a new Mac, so it isn't free, it's included in the price.

There's a difference. We paid for it.

JHankwitz
Jul 25, 2012, 02:00 PM
Two options, call directly and see if they can help, if not talk with the store. Sometimes sweet talking them, they'll re-ring the transaction for you to get the promo.

No guarantees, but it's worth the shot.

All this in an effort to save $20? I guess time has little value for many.

miazma
Jul 25, 2012, 02:02 PM
ML should have been given away for free. I mean come on... We're paying so much money for the whole apple package. Is it really worth it for apple to have people getting frustrated because of something which brings them only 20 bucks? That's pathetic.

darkslide29
Jul 25, 2012, 02:05 PM
Because.. here you are trying to upgrade to Mountain Lion, when hungry people would love to EAT a Mountain Lion! For shame... Help stop hunger. Send your Lion to the poor.

A question,

Another question,

Another question,

Beechside
Jul 25, 2012, 02:07 PM
Worked fine for me. Got the redemption code in about 15 mins and the download of ML took about 20 mins (40 Mbps FTTC with TalkTalk in the UK). Install completed and all's well. Just starting to explore new features. . .

afurry13
Jul 25, 2012, 02:08 PM
Worked fine for me. Got the redemption code in about 15 mins and the download of ML took about 20 mins (40 Mbps FTTC with TalkTalk in the UK). Install completed and all's well. Just starting to explore new features. . .

You're not helping :p

cmartinez
Jul 25, 2012, 02:13 PM
I requested my Up-to-Date code and got it within 10-15 minutes (6 am PDT). However, I tried it, and I go the message "This code has already been used. Each code may only be used once." I emailed Apple's Up-to-Date program and told them of the situation. On another Mac blog, I realized I was not the only one with this problem. I decided to download other updates (Safari, Aperture, iMovie, etc.) while I waited for a response.

It is now 12 pm (6+ hours later), and still no response. I've decided it is not worth the hassle to save $19.99, especially if it can take 72 hours, so I just bought OS X 10.8 via the MacApp store. If I ever get a new valid code, I'll probably give it to a niece or nephew.

Kevinflo
Jul 25, 2012, 02:15 PM
Requested mine over 4 hours ago. No luck :(:(:(

markcres
Jul 25, 2012, 02:15 PM
Scientists at the LHC are worried that the universe may collapse into a singularity because some fanboys can't download an incremental update to a computer OS. Run for the hills !!

coder12
Jul 25, 2012, 02:16 PM
This happened last year for a lot of people too. Give it a few hours and the load won't be so heavy.

amberashby
Jul 25, 2012, 02:17 PM
I'm also one of the unlucky ones with the code that doesn't work. Does anyone know if the Golden Master that came out a few weeks ago is identical to the release version?

I may just go ahead and install the one I got off BT. So much for trying to do things the "right way."

randomnut
Jul 25, 2012, 02:18 PM
Placed my up to date order 5 or so hours ago and still not received a code yet.

tmp0404
Jul 25, 2012, 02:21 PM
I requested my code around 9:30 this morning and got it back in about 15 minutes. When going through the forms to request the code, I did not have to submit a scanned copy of my receipt, guessing the serial # alone sufficed, but I did acquire my upgrade eligible MB Air as an educational department purchase so perhaps that made a difference.

Planning to download the upgrade later tnite when I get home.

macbookman83
Jul 25, 2012, 02:26 PM
I'm about to just purchase it for the $19.99 and contact Apple in hopes they will refund me when they get everything sorted out.

If you can't wait a couple of hours for a redeem code, I doubt you'd be able to wait a couple of weeks to get said refund.:confused::)

zeromeus
Jul 25, 2012, 02:28 PM

If your face is rearranged so that you neck can hold it differently, it'll work.

pgebhard
Jul 25, 2012, 02:30 PM
Maybe they just want to manage the load of downloads, so they've decided to distribute the codes gradually.

JohnDoe98
Jul 25, 2012, 02:34 PM
I'm also one of the unlucky ones with the code that doesn't work. Does anyone know if the Golden Master that came out a few weeks ago is identical to the release version?

I may just go ahead and install the one I got off BT. So much for trying to do things the "right way."

It's exactly the same. Torrent away, and link the purchase to your Apple ID later when the codes come through.

jwhiterz
Jul 25, 2012, 02:35 PM

Im still waiting this is getting stupid now. I mean how hard is it for the servers to generate a random string of letters and numbers and send it in an email. the answer is not hard at all and should take a matter of seconds -_- not hours.

dmk1974
Jul 25, 2012, 02:37 PM
I just called the Apple Care line and they told me that for those of us who requested the free upgrade code, it may take up to 72 hours. REALLY?!?!?! He then said check back after 24 hours if it hasn't been e-mailed by then.

I'm tempted to pay the $20, but I'll try to wait it out. Almost at 7 hours...

TheByrus
Jul 25, 2012, 02:39 PM
Every time my OS X mail client dings and it's not the download code, I die a little inside.

undies1993
Jul 25, 2012, 02:39 PM
It's exactly the same. Torrent away, and link the purchase to your Apple ID later when the codes come through.

Can that be done?

jwhiterz
Jul 25, 2012, 02:41 PM
I just called the Apple Care line and they told me that for those of us who requested the free upgrade code, it may take up to 72 hours. REALLY?!?!?! He then said check back after 24 hours if it hasn't been e-mailed by then.

Thats exactly what they said to me -_- ughh really it shouldn't take that long after all its only a code and in a email

shinerwright
Is it possible that Apple will produce ML on disc to get around (in my case) eight hours of download just for that update never mind all the associated updates that seem to be a part of the general package?

Bill:)

Mac21ND
Im still waiting this is getting stupid now. I mean how hard is it for the servers to generate a random string of letters and numbers and send it in an email. the answer is not hard at all and should take a matter of seconds -_- not hours.

I wonder if they're spreading out the updates until after the initial launch.

deannnnn

I love the people at MR who pretend to be so much "cooler" than the rest of us, and judge others for being excited about a new product launch. The cool kids are not on this website at all. We are all losers, and we should all treat each other with respect!

And I refer to us as losers in the best way possible :D

jwhiterz
Jul 25, 2012, 02:42 PM
are they typing out these emails and generating the codes by hand or what!? because with the speed of things its seems that way :L

NazgulRR

I've decided it is not worth the hassle to save $19.99, especially if it can take 72 hours, so I just bought OS X 10.8 via the MacApp store. If I ever get a new valid code, I'll probably give it to a niece or nephew.

Guys, in case anyone of you went ahead and bought ML before you received new redeem come -- I'll buy the redeem code off you for half the price (via paypal gift).

I just don't feel like like paying the full price for ML at the moment, since some of the main features (airplay mirroring, power nap) will not work on my 2010 MPB13 anyway.

PM me!

amberashby

How do I link it to the Apple ID?

Thanks.

tomjhansen
Jul 25, 2012, 02:43 PM
Every time my OS X mail client dings and it's not the download code, I die a little inside.

:)

undies1993
Jul 25, 2012, 02:43 PM
are they typing out these emails and generating the codes by hand or what!? because with the speed of things its seems that way :L

Yes, and they are typing it in HTML code so it takes even longer.

rennina
Jul 25, 2012, 02:44 PM
haven't received my code yet...:(

JohnDoe98
Can that be done?

I don't know for sure, but I don't see why not. Redeeming the code won't be an issue, the question is would you need to downgrade in order to redeem. I doubt it would be a problem, but one never knows. I have the GM installed so I'll be able to confirm once I get my redeem code. Worst case I'll try redeeming on another mac that has Lion before I go the downgrade path.

undies1993
haven't received my code yet...:(

Shocker

peejack
Jul 25, 2012, 02:45 PM
Maybe they just want to manage the load of downloads, so they've decided to distribute the codes gradually.

Thats not true because I received my code within 10 minutes it just doesn't work when I try and enter it on the app store.

jwhiterz
Jul 25, 2012, 02:46 PM

Darn now we know what its taking so long... ;)

JohnDoe98
How do I link it to the Apple ID?

Thanks.

Using the redeem function in the Mac App Store.

Mac21ND
Thats not true because I received my code within 10 minutes it just doesn't work when I try and enter it on the app store.

Did you get it today, or when it was test-launched on Monday?

Xcallibur
Jul 25, 2012, 02:47 PM
Submitted my request 4 hours ago, still nothing. One must question whether Apple has purposely done this to entice users to buy the OS instead.

JohnDoe98
Jul 25, 2012, 02:48 PM
Darn now we know what its taking so long... ;)

Just received an update. Initially they told me they had already sent the code, but when I complained of not having received any replacement codes, they now say after a "further check", my code is "pending" in their system and will be sent out within 72 hours. My "patience is greatly appreciated".

My guess is before they send out the batch of replacement codes they are going to double and triple check that this batch works.

undies1993
Jul 25, 2012, 02:49 PM
Just received an update. Initially they told me they had already sent the code, but when I complained of not having received any replacement codes, they now say after a "further check", my code is "pending" in their system and will be sent out within 72 hours. My "patience is greatly appreciated".

My guess is before they send out the batch of replacement codes they are going to double and triple check that this batch works.

How did they get it all wrong?

roadbloc
Jul 25, 2012, 02:51 PM

Buy it if you're so bothered. It's rather cheap compared to other commercial OS's at the moment.

JohnDoe98
Jul 25, 2012, 02:51 PM
How did they get it all wrong?

Who knows?? My guess is negligence first and foremost, and perhaps incompetence if you can't fathom that.

----------

Buy it if you're so bothered. It's rather cheap compared to other commercial OS's at the moment.

We already paid for it when we bought the hardware. You are suggesting we should pay twice?

undies1993
Jul 25, 2012, 02:52 PM
Who knows?? My guess is negligence first and foremost, and perhaps incompetence if you can't fathom that.

Its almost unfathomable with a company so large.

Sandstorm
Submitted my request about 6 hours ago. No code, no e-mail, nothing. I'm sorry, but I'm totally frustrated. I love new releases and I always get them right away. That is my thing, I don't care if it's probably "smarter" to wait first bug fixes. I love to dive deep and explore everything. But now I see happy tweets from my friends "sent from Mountain Lion" and I feel like idiot with no invitation to party. :)

And why on earth this had to be so stupid and complicated? This is NOT Apple "just works" way. It should be trivial for Apple to see that I'm on a new mid-2012 MacBook Pro and offer immediate free download link in the Mac App Store. This whole request system is stupid, complicated and Microsoft-like, even if it worked. But since it doesn't, this makes this whole mess even more disgusting. :mad:

PS - Yes I feel entitled. When I purchased the new MBP, I was promised a free update to Mountain Lion.
I know, I'll get my copy soon (probably just purchase it... 16 EUR is very cheap, true) and I will forget this whole thing and be happy about my new Mac, but for right now, this day is ruined for me. :rolleyes:

Technodynamic
For what it's worth, I wasn't even aware of the program until I (wishly) searched for it this morning around 9AM Esatern. Found the site, submitted a claim for my macbook Retina.

Got my redemtion code within an hour.

Code worked and I downloaded ML in about another hour.

All worked seemless and perfect imo.

URFloorMatt
I hope Cook realizes that all the praise he got for being the king of logistics following the smooth launch of the iPad 3 has now been completely squandered.

To say nothing of the fact that the entire redemption program is archaic and should've been set up via the Mac App Store, and users should've been able to register any time between the day they purchased an eligible machine and today.

undies1993
Jul 25, 2012, 02:54 PM
I hope Cook realizes that all the praise he got for being the king of logistics following the smooth launch of the iPad 3 has now been completely squandered.

Wasn't it squandered with the rMBP release?

l.w41sh
Jul 25, 2012, 02:56 PM

where did you get this update?
I cant check the status of mine.

oldcelt
Jul 25, 2012, 02:58 PM
Just had a reply from Apple to my moan...Dear ----,

Ryan here from the iTunes Store. I understand that you submitted your up-to-date claim over 6 hours ago, and you haven't received a reply yet. I can imagine that you would like to have this issue resolved quickly and I would be more than happy to help .

Unfortunately, the team handling the up-to-date program has been overloaded today as you can imagine, and there may be some delay before you receive your redemption code.

I'm very sorry for the inconvenience this has caused. If you haven't received your redemption code by tomorrow, please let me know and I'll look into it for you.

Have a great day !
So no real answer. You think they might have guessed they would be busy, but it makes me think that the process was not given as much thought as it should have been.

JohnDoe98
Jul 25, 2012, 02:59 PM

To say nothing of the fact that the entire redemption program is archaic and should've been set up via the Mac App Store, and users should've been able to register any time between the day they purchased an eligible machine and today.

Exactly, this should all be done behind the scenes and automatically. They know of all the serial numbers to the recently sold comps. Why not just have the Mac App Store simply look it up and automatically grant it to those computers. When I first opened the Mac App Store it automatically recognized I had the new iLife and asked me to link it to my Apple ID. It should have been the same with Mountain Lion, and the second it was released, immediately available to us.

All this is a hassle to the consumer and is poor customer service. I thought Apple was supposed to excel at this stuff.

eh270
Jul 25, 2012, 03:01 PM
I had no problems with the up-to-date program but the entire experience was very unpolished by Apple standards, which is to say it was kind of sloppy.

The sign-up form (http://cl.ly/image/3D3B2J0D3O2Y) was poorly laid out, with many CSS errors. The "right to copy" and "number of qualifying systems for right to copy" checkboxes were confusing and scrunched together. I also noticed they are using a jquery plugin for the calendar picker, something I don't think I've ever seen Apple do.

The form on the next page (http://cl.ly/image/2g2L1i3z0P1z) was confusing as well -- the prefilled numbers were tiny, inconsistent, and poorly used (9999999?). And what is an "Email ID"?

Then you receive two emails from Apple, one of which contains a "content code" you need to use to open a "content code file" (locked PDF) in the other email.

Bizarre. Again, it worked, but .. Apple is usually more polished than this.

jincheker
Jul 25, 2012, 03:04 PM
Not even received any confirmation email. Dam u apple :mad:

JayLenochiniMac
Jul 25, 2012, 03:05 PM

This sort of stuff happened all the time under Jobs. You must have short memory or haven't been around long enough. Even Jobs said no big deal about hiccups and marched ahead anyway in the earliest days (read the biography).

mdelvecchio
so they think that i am going to wait for three days to see if my code might or might not come in...

8.8 billion profit and they refuse to allocate trained IT staff to get this childplay trick right.

go buy something else.

jwhiterz
Feel like ringing apple again and seeing whats happening :L

D3nZ
Jul 25, 2012, 03:07 PM
People, you are getting an upgrade for free. Chill out. I applied for mine, I am still waiting and it's fine by me. It's not like you can't use your computer before you get the upgrade.

Thunderhawks
Jul 25, 2012, 03:08 PM
Every time my OS X mail client dings and it's not the download code, I peed a little

There fixed it:-)

oldcelt
Jul 25, 2012, 03:10 PM
People, you are getting an upgrade for free. Chill out. I applied for mine, I am still waiting and it's fine by me. It's not like you can't use your computer before you get the upgrade.
It's not free, we have paid for it as it was promised as part of purchase of machines.

D3nZ
Jul 25, 2012, 03:12 PM
It's not free, we have paid for it as it was promised as part of purchase of machines.

You paid for your current OS when you bought your computer. As far as I know you didn't pay an extra 20$.

bearda
Jul 25, 2012, 03:15 PM
So, just to add a bit of fuel to the fire (and because there doesn't seem to be any news on the code situation) I'm kind of curious if I filled out the Up-to-date form correctly.

I purchased an iMac online, and picked it up the next day at the local apple store. The receipt I was emailed is dated as of the pickup, and came from the local store's email address. It's listed as a web order, but I'm kind of wondering if the date I entered should be the date I ordered the computer or the date I picked it up.

To make things more complicated the computer I purchased had a screen defect and was returned two weeks later. The put it on the same ticket so the order number is the same, but the replacement iMac has a different serial number.

Do you think I was supposed to use the date of purchase online, the date of pickup of the original mac, or the date of the exchange? Should I have used the serial number of the original iMac, or the serial number of it's replacement? I don't expect anyone to have an actual authoritative response (including those at the Apple Store), but I'm kind of curious how you guys would have handled it.

Sandstorm
Jul 25, 2012, 03:16 PM
You paid for your current OS when you bought your computer. As far as I know you didn't pay an extra 20$.

NO! Mountain Lion was PART OF THE DEAL.

AppliedMicro
I had no problems with the up-to-date program but the entire experience was very unpolished by Apple standards, which is to say it was kind of sloppy.
(...)
Bizarre. Again, it worked, but .. Apple is usually more polished than this.
I second that.

I went to Apple.com, completed the first two steps of their form (purchase details, serial number / number of licenses), proceeded to enter my personal details... name, street address, post code... only to be unable to choose or change my country (from the automatically presented "US" default). So back to my country site, and back to step one.

This is lazy work.

Ryan here from the iTunes Store. I understand that you submitted your up-to-date claim over 6 hours ago, and you haven't received a reply yet. (...)

Unfortunately, the team handling the up-to-date program has been overloaded today as you can imagine, and there may be some delay before you receive your redemption code.
They employ "a team" of people to check whether my Retina MBP, whose serial number I entered is covered under their up-to-date program?

Really?
Really!?! :mad:

By the way:

More than 8 hours and counting...

Still waiting for my code to arrive.
No mail, no PDF, no code, no nothing.

halfapie
Do we have a confirmed person who applied for Lion Up-To-Date and got a code and was successful in redeeming it and has downloaded?

I applied for my code this morning, and got my code 1 hour later. It came as two emails. The first email contained a password, and the second email contained an encrypted PDF file. My code was accepted in the App Store on first try, no issues. The installer started downloading immediately.

The only downside: I am still downloading the installer, my internet is slow!

More info: I bought my refurbished macbook pro from apple.com in late June. I did not have to upload my receipt, I only had to supply my serial number. I only used the form once, I did not try to resubmit.

richard4339
Jul 25, 2012, 03:17 PM

Apple publically announced that any computer purchased July 11th or later would get the copy for free, so while you didn't pay the $20 directly, you are entitled to that, otherwise Apple would be guilty of false advertising. It was a promotion, and businesses do that.

Not getting it immediately, however, isn't a guarantee. It even says on the page that it takes 24 hours to send the code once the form has been validated. The sucky thing here is that none of this information was published before this morning when the purchases were made; before today it simply said "Come back to this page when Mountain Lion is released in July and get your free copy of Mountain Lion".

Mac21ND
Jul 25, 2012, 03:21 PM
Let's be honest too...

If anything, they're placing a higher priority on those willing to pay today for the update. If you're entitled to the up-to-date program, you're lower on the priority list.

I had the same thing happen with my MBA for my university. My MBA was delayed by one week because it was a discounted edu order. Customers paying full retail got placed higher on the list.

I'm not saying it's fair, it's just business. :cool:

Edit: And yes, I'm waiting for my code too. I'm not expecting it today. Hopefully tomorrow.

Xenoman
Jul 25, 2012, 03:24 PM
They employ "a team" of people to check whether my Retina MBP, whose serial number I entered is covered under their up-to-date program?

Really?

By the way:

Same boat here. I'm about to pull my hair out.

undies1993
Jul 25, 2012, 03:25 PM
I second that.

I went to Apple.com, completed the first two steps of their form (purchase details, serial number / number of licenses), proceeded to enter my personal details... name, street address, post code... only to be unable to choose or change my country (from the automatically presented "US" default). So back to my country site, and back to step one.

This is lazy work.

Really?

By the way:

It would be far more efficient to create a computer to do it rather than hire a team.

arturbenchimol
Jul 25, 2012, 03:25 PM
I second that.

This is lazy work.

Really?

By the way:

Couldn't agree more.

cooknwitha
Jul 25, 2012, 03:32 PM
To put it into perspective, with Leopard, you had to apply online and they would send you a DVD which took up to a week to arrive.

Yes, yes, I know it's different now, blah blah blah but you'll have ML in a couple of days max and within a week you won't give a toss about this perceived slight and betrayal you feel for Apple. Especially given that it's just an OS and after an hour or so of playing around with it you'll lose interest and it will be just as novel as you find Lion right now.

In the meantime, look at these cute dogs and realise life is good.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7hm9kzNHn1rpmgqxo1_400.jpg

GodWhomIsMike
Jul 25, 2012, 03:40 PM
To put it into perspective, with Leopard, you had to apply online and they would send you a DVD which took up to a week to arrive.

Yes, yes, I know it's different now, blah blah blah but you'll have ML in a couple of days max and within a week you won't give a toss about this perceived slight and betrayal you feel for Apple. Especially given that it's just an OS and after an hour or so of playing around with it you'll lose interest and it will be just as novel as you find Lion right now.

Image (http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7hm9kzNHn1rpmgqxo1_400.jpg)

I am just eager to get my redemption, but only because of the AirPlay feature.

alchemistmuffin
Jul 25, 2012, 03:47 PM

The pics are not helping. I'm getting more irritated by hour. And yes, although I've been patient for while now, I now believe that Apple is hand checking all the purchases, meaning absolute fail. It should've been a completely automated process that would take only seconds.

adztaylor
Jul 25, 2012, 03:47 PM

Haha oh yeah I remember having to do that for Snow Leopard. People were complaining about getting it days later plus the DVD arrived in a little paper sleeve and not in retail packaging. People complained about that too.

undies1993
Jul 25, 2012, 03:48 PM
The pics are not helping. I'm getting more irritated by hour. And yes, although I've been patient for while now, I now believe that Apple is hand checking all the purchases, meaning absolute fail. It should've been a completely automated process that would take only seconds.

I don't understand why it wasn't automated.

kcamfork
Jul 25, 2012, 03:49 PM
A question,

Another question,

Another question,

Agreed.

richard4339
Jul 25, 2012, 03:49 PM

After the first batch of them went out this morning though, has anyone gotten the code immediately? It sounds more like they've stopped sending them while they work out some kinks in the redemption code generation process they're using, or they've just stopped in general to allow demand to die down.

Or I could be wrong altogether. Just a thought.

JohnnyQuest
Jul 25, 2012, 03:50 PM
I might just buy it. I'm going on a trip tomorrow and don't want to have to download it over slow hotel wifi.

drewyboy
Jul 25, 2012, 03:52 PM

i would have rather liked $20 off my purchase so I could decide if i want ML or not. And of course yes I would, so guess what.. i would have paid for it and would have already been enjoying it on all my family's macs by now. But not today, not going to happen because I "pre-ordered" ML by purchasing a new computer, yet I'm treated not as a pre-order, but as a back order.

kcamfork
Jul 25, 2012, 03:52 PM

Love this!

OneMike
Jul 25, 2012, 03:53 PM
Just will be patient.

No need to rush.

eklof
Jul 25, 2012, 03:53 PM
This is utter crap. My friend is uploading his dmg as we speak. This is a cluster****!

ImAlwaysRight
Jul 25, 2012, 03:55 PM

Ryan here from the iTunes Store. I understand that you submitted your up-to-date claim over 6 hours ago, and you haven't received a reply yet. I can imagine that you would like to have this issue resolved quickly and I would be more than happy to help .

I'm very sorry for the inconvenience this has caused. If you haven't received your redemption code by tomorrow, please let me know and I'll look into it for you.

Have a great day !
So no real answer. You think they might have guessed they would be busy, but it makes me think that the process was not given as much thought as it should have been.

That's better than the replies I received:

Dear ______,

Beckie here from the iTunes Store. I understand that you submitted your up-to-date claim over 6 hours ago, and you haven't received a reply yet. I can imagine that you would like to have this issue resolved quickly.

Well, too bad! You're not the only one trying to get this update, you know! I mean, think about it ... it is launch day ... millions of people, we experienced some unforeseen issues.

Your lack of patience is not appreciated. Please wait until we get this resolved and find something else to do with your life. If you still have not received a working code in 72 hours, then feel free to contact us again.

Have a great day !

OK, yes, I made that up. :o

JST987
Jul 25, 2012, 03:55 PM
I completely forgot about the free upgrade and bought ML, let's hope someone else will be able to use the code when I get it.

dbam987
Jul 25, 2012, 03:57 PM

lol, that made me smile a bit. reminds me of this xkcd comic, although its for tracking snail mail items: http://xkcd.com/281/

ImAlwaysRight
Jul 25, 2012, 03:57 PM
I might just buy it. I'm going on a trip tomorrow and don't want to have to download it over slow hotel wifi.

You know, it'll also be there when you get back.

And, I can see you pay the $20 + tax for this and then find some major bug while you are on your trip.

You might just want to hold your horses.

macography.net
Jul 25, 2012, 04:03 PM
Apple advised me to get back to them if I don't get a new code within 5-7 days :eek:

Hello Pietro,

My name if xyz and I'm sorry to hear that on redeeming the initial upgrade code you received, you were unable to proceed because an error indicated the code had already been used. I know you must be looking forward to having this resolved, Pietro and I will be happy to assist you.

I looked into this for you and if your claim is accepted, a valid replacement code will be sent to you by email. There will be no need to submit a new claim. I apologize for any inconvenience in this regard.

Please let me know if you do not receive a replacement code within 5-7 business days, as I'll be happy to look into things further for you.

I hope this information is helpful, Pietro, and thank you for your interest in OS X Mountain Lion. Please let me know how everything works out. I'd like to be sure that this has been resolved this for you. Take care and have a nice day!

Sincerely,

xyz
iTunes Store/Mac App Store Customer Support

MacDav
Jul 25, 2012, 04:06 PM

I really hate to think how you would react if anything serious ever happened in your life. :rolleyes:

DrStern
Jul 25, 2012, 04:06 PM
I ordered my Macbook Pro Retina 6/11, shipped 6/14. I put in my request at 7:30 this AM. When I didn't get a code by 1:30, I sent a support request. They responded back that once a request was made to the UpToDate team, they would respond to me "within 72 hours."..

72 HOURS??!!

Sorry, but I have nothing good to say about Apple's handling of this one.

SpyderBite
Jul 25, 2012, 04:12 PM
Apple advised me to get back to them if I don't get a new code within 5-7 days :eek:

Hello Pietro,

My name if xyz and I'm sorry to hear that on redeeming the initial upgrade code you received, you were unable to proceed because an error indicated the code had already been used. I know you must be looking forward to having this resolved, Pietro and I will be happy to assist you.

I looked into this for you and if your claim is accepted, a valid replacement code will be sent to you by email. There will be no need to submit a new claim. I apologize for any inconvenience in this regard.

Please let me know if you do not receive a replacement code within 5-7 business days, as I'll be happy to look into things further for you.

I hope this information is helpful, Pietro, and thank you for your interest in OS X Mountain Lion. Please let me know how everything works out. I'd like to be sure that this has been resolved this for you. Take care and have a nice day!

Sincerely,

xyz
iTunes Store/Mac App Store Customer Support

I just got the same exact email except my rep stated it would be 24-48 hours, not 5-7 business days.

hgm
Jul 25, 2012, 04:13 PM
Apparently, Apple has decided to lose touch with their professional users. After glossy displays now we have a toy OS. Forget it. Checking out Windows 8

thleeal
Jul 25, 2012, 04:14 PM

your missing an option....
download a torrent.. seen as we are all entitled to it legally why not if apple is being arsy about the code.

MacGurl111
Jul 25, 2012, 04:17 PM
I'm still waiting. Reading and browsing help ease the pain of waiting. :D

Dainin
Jul 25, 2012, 04:19 PM
Anyone got a checksum? I'm going to BT while I wait for my code.

yg17
Jul 25, 2012, 04:20 PM
Requested my code this morning and got it. Finally got home to redeem it, and it tells me it's already been redeemed.

You'd think Apple would get their **** together and, oh, I dunno, test this stuff before it goes live.

iMacFarlane
Jul 25, 2012, 04:21 PM

Maybe there's a million monkeys at a million keyboards trying to come up with the codes, but all they keep coming up with are the works of Shakespeare.

Still waiting here, been 10 hours, no email.

undies1993
Jul 25, 2012, 04:25 PM
Maybe there's a million monkeys at a million keyboards trying to come up with the codes, but all they keep coming up with are the works of Shakespeare.

Has anyone gotten a code after this mornings batch release?

scootero1211
The computer ?!! :eek: :D

Nah, the website. Make sure your thumb isn't covering the page border when you click submit.

bearda

The Up To Date site hasn't even been up for 10 hours today, dude. Don't exagerate.

iMacFarlane
Jul 25, 2012, 04:29 PM
The Up To Date site hasn't even been up for 10 hours today, dude. Don't exagerate.

Yeah, okay. I actually got my emails on Monday, and found they didn't work today at noon, but read that the update went live about 8 this morning.

And I would never exaggerate, not in a million years!

GREEN4U
Jul 25, 2012, 04:34 PM
All this makes me feel glad I'm waiting to buy my Macbook Air with it installed native.

Jungo
Jul 25, 2012, 04:38 PM
I really did WANT to save 20.00 upgrading my 'retina' - june 18 - but I smelled hassle on this redemption - I choose to pay the money and got updated just after it was available - thank the gods I didn't fight for the money. been rockin the mt. lion all day - Nice new features.

OneMike
Jul 25, 2012, 04:42 PM
Yeah, okay. I actually got my emails on Monday, and found they didn't work today at noon, but read that the update went live about 8 this morning.

And I would never exaggerate, not in a million years!

went like at 9am eastern so slight exaggeration. Not that I blame you.

anthony11
Jul 25, 2012, 04:42 PM

Moreover, it's an OS whose version ends in .0. I'll think about ML when the first update comes out.

neuropsychguy
Jul 25, 2012, 04:43 PM
Apparently, Apple has decided to lose touch with their professional users. After glossy displays now we have a toy OS. Forget it. Checking out Windows 8

I hope you are being ironic.

NetCatman
Jul 25, 2012, 04:47 PM
Apple has exactly 30 min to deliver my redemption code ... or else! I swear I'll fork over $20 and download it without a code. I will! That'll teach 'em!!! :rolleyes:

PoopsMagee
Jul 25, 2012, 04:50 PM
Has anyone actually received confirmation that they will be refunded if they purchase mountain lion to avoid the wait?

It honestly seems like the fairest thing for apple to do. It might make things more complicated on their end, and they would have more than a couple refunds to issue, but it does seem like the most elegant solution to what was 100% their mistake.

I can be patient, but the point is I shouldn't HAVE to be. Apple isn't offering any real solutions, other than "I'd love to help you! Keep waiting."

As soon as I hear from anyone that they had an Apple rep promise them a refund, I'm pulling the trigger.

Auzburner
Jul 25, 2012, 04:53 PM
I'm another one of the Monday'ers that got an invalid code. Wish it was simpler to get my hands on the valid code I'm entitled to. Bummed out.

Bubba Satori
Jul 25, 2012, 04:53 PM
That's better than the replies I received:

Dear ______,

Beckie here from the iTunes Store. I understand that you submitted your up-to-date claim over 6 hours ago, and you haven't received a reply yet. I can imagine that you would like to have this issue resolved quickly.

Well, too bad! You're not the only one trying to get this update, you know! I mean, think about it ... it is launch day ... millions of people, we experienced some unforeseen issues.

Your lack of patience is not appreciated. Please wait until we get this resolved and find something else to do with your life. If you still have not received a working code in 72 hours, then feel free to contact us again.

Have a great day !

OK, yes, I made that up. :o

Brilliant. :D

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2066/5807458526_dc54025065_z.jpg

psingh01
Jul 25, 2012, 04:54 PM
Hmm...my update progress bar counted down from 33 minutes to -3 minutes. Then it jumped up to 21 minutes and counted down again. I think they borrowed this feature from MSFT. Now my brightness control buttons don't work after the update. Not a good start...

throttlemeister
Jul 25, 2012, 04:54 PM
My code got rejected as well, but I just said **** it, I'm not going to jump through hoops for 16 euro, so I just bought it. Getting it free is nice, but my time and frustration (or lack thereof) is worth more than a measly 16 bucks.

SSandy
Jul 25, 2012, 04:57 PM
I got a redeem code this morning and after entering the code in the Mac App Store, received the usual 'code already redeemed' message. After a while I decided I'd just go ahead and buy it.

I clicked on the $19.99 button and then clicked download and received a message that I had already purchased Mountain Lion and would I like to download it again. I clicked OK and downloaded it without a problem.

I'm not recommending others try this because I'd hate for this to be a one-off fluke and wind up costing someone $20 they didn't intend to spend. Just thought some who were considering buying it outright after waiting for a new code might be interested.

huntaub
Jul 25, 2012, 05:00 PM
Has anyone gotten a code after this mornings batch release?

Yes, actually. My friend decided to fill out her up to date form (she bought a non-retina MBP) around 10:15 (I requested mine around 9:45). While my code arrived within a timely 15 minutes and suffered from the 'already redeemed' bug, her code arrived at 2:30 and worked perfectly.

It seems that those who requested early (today) are the ones getting screwed...

Joesg
Jul 25, 2012, 05:04 PM
It's been about 9.5 hours now and I still haven't received any emails containing codes (working or not) from Apple.

wizeguy21
Jul 25, 2012, 05:07 PM
It's been about 9.5 hours now and I still haven't received any emails containing codes (working or not) from Apple.

Im at 7 hrs.. i even registered again in hopes of increasing my chances.. I am getting close to just buying it. And then reselling the code when i get it..

jbrenn
Jul 25, 2012, 05:14 PM

just try it i had the same situation and went online and it worked.

DrStern
Jul 25, 2012, 05:15 PM
Im at 7 hrs.. i even registered again in hopes of increasing my chances.. I am getting close to just buying it. And then reselling the code when i get it..

Who knows if the code isn't set up to ONLY work on the eligible machine.

I'm just ticked off that we spend thousands on a machine then we're told we have to wait in line for three days for a $20 coupon.

However, I'm thinking maybe this will work in my favor. I need my machine to work every day, without forcing me to spend time fixing it. If there are bugs in the initial release, I think I'd rather know about them before jumping in for the upgrade, anyway.

IzzyJG99
Jul 25, 2012, 05:23 PM
I submitted my request. I didn't realize I needed a picture of anything for proof of purchase. All I had was a screen shot of the MacMall information. I submitted that naturally...3 hours later when I got around to signing up my applecare the MacMall receipt was in there. Stupid.

Of course I don't own a scanner, so it's not like it would help much. I could've taken a picture of course. But it's a moot point.

I'll have to call Apple up and God willing get someone who isn't from India to talk to. Cannot understand a single word the overseas tech support say and I usally end up hanging up on them and looking for a fix online for things.

I sense that I might just spend the 40 dollars (Two different Apple ID's. Work related. Cannot be changed) for the ML upgrade. But not yet, that's for sure. I'll wait till around 10.8.1 or even 10.8.2

jcs77
Jul 25, 2012, 05:25 PM
I got a redeem code this morning and after entering the code in the Mac App Store, received the usual 'code already redeemed' message. After a while I decided I'd just go ahead and buy it.

I clicked on the $19.99 button and then clicked download and received a message that I had already purchased Mountain Lion and would I like to download it again. I clicked OK and downloaded it without a problem.

I'm not recommending others try this because I'd hate for this to be a one-off fluke and wind up costing someone $20 they didn't intend to spend. Just thought some who were considering buying it outright after waiting for a new code might be interested.

Is there any way to confirm that this is a good workaround without rolling the dice on the $20.

InlawBiker
Jul 25, 2012, 05:27 PM
I requested the update code this morning before I went to work. The day is almost over and no code yet. I'm not in any rush, I probably won't install it until I get more time anyway.

okboy
Jul 25, 2012, 05:42 PM
I'm putting away the party decorations.

nishwanth
Jul 25, 2012, 06:00 PM
I got my ML copy via up to date with no problems. Even my install process was smooth.

Hi. can you share when you requested for it and how long it took for them to give you the code.

tobyw7
Jul 25, 2012, 06:02 PM

Hey man, you need to chill man.

blucable
Jul 25, 2012, 06:03 PM
your missing an option....
download a torrent.. seen as we are all entitled to it legally why not if apple is being arsy about the code.

I understand what you mean bro, but one thing is Apple legally giving it to me or me taking it away from apple before they nicely give to me.

I really would hate to steal it by using some other source. Apple has been nice and helpful to me, I'm gonna continue being loyal to them.

If for some reason my application is denied well that's something else, I bought my MacBook pro the 7th of this month so I shouldn't worry about it, I'm just gonna wait til it's available for me.

coder12
Jul 25, 2012, 06:04 PM

GM and this release are the same. I'm not sure if someone already answered your question or not ;)

mdbell26
Jul 25, 2012, 06:07 PM
For what it's worth I just tried to re-submit my serial number and it went through again. It also gave me a new reference code. Still no Apple email.

jwhiterz
Jul 25, 2012, 06:09 PM
For what it's worth I just tried to re-submit my serial number and it went through again. It also gave me a new reference code. Still no Apple email.

I have done the same as you. And apparently only one will go through and the other will get declined

ixodes
Jul 25, 2012, 06:27 PM

Your being far too romantic.

Clinging to some perfect image of a man now past, will do nothing but cause you grief.

Cheer up, Tim's the man now, and he's doing just fine. Get into acceptance and you will be fine too.

KdParker
Jul 25, 2012, 06:32 PM
um...seems like the site is down for getting redemption code:mad:

Rodimus Prime
Jul 25, 2012, 06:34 PM

sorry but nope. Apple was this bad under jobs. They are very good at doing huge **** ups on anything like this. Chances are the DB system they use is pretty much crap and poorly set up. Jobs like things to look pretty and did not give a damn about funtionallity. Pretty came first.

user418
Jul 25, 2012, 06:34 PM
Wow. Apple has more money than god, and they can't get something this simple working smoothly?

What do they pay these devs and QC people?

God owns all......

user418
Jul 25, 2012, 06:48 PM

A question,

Another question,

Another question,

Like it or not we are ALL tied together. I don't think he was blaming anyone. Rather his point simply implies that in the whole scheme of things this OS X update is a minor issue. Get downsized, home foreclosed, car repossessed, loved one lost, or miss a few meals and your perspective might change.

okboy
Jul 25, 2012, 06:50 PM
God owns all......

I can think of $100 billion that he doesn't.

KdParker
Jul 25, 2012, 06:51 PM
Who knows if the code isn't set up to ONLY work on the eligible machine.

I'm just ticked off that we spend thousands on a machine then we're told we have to wait in line for three days for a $20 coupon.

However, I'm thinking maybe this will work in my favor. I need my machine to work every day, without forcing me to spend time fixing it. If there are bugs in the initial release, I think I'd rather know about them before jumping in for the upgrade, anyway.

been running the master for 3+ weeks and haven't run into any issues with running anything.

You should be fine once you get your redemption code

user418
Jul 25, 2012, 06:54 PM
I can think of $100 billion that he doesn't.

Not the proper place to enter into a discussion on religion so I'll end my comments on the matter with:

The earth is the Lord's, and the fullness thereof.

macmyworld
Jul 25, 2012, 06:56 PM
Well you guys aren't any fun at all. I submitted my request a little over 2 hours ago and thought I'd see my code soon. Now I read this thread and it looks like no Mountain Lion for a long time. :(

okboy
Jul 25, 2012, 06:56 PM
Not the proper place to enter into a discussion on religion so I'll end my comments on the matter with:

The earth is the Lord's, and the fullness thereof.

I'd like to see some documentation on that, maybe tax returns.

mdelvecchio
Jul 25, 2012, 07:22 PM
Submitted my request 4 hours ago, still nothing. One must question whether Apple has purposely done this to entice users to buy the OS instead.

my god, is there a lack of oxygen in your area? if they wanted to make you pay for it, THEY WOULDNT HAVE MADE THE OFFER.

i pray that you're really just 12 years old.

ncowan2
Jul 25, 2012, 07:26 PM
I called Apple about half an hour ago and the lady told me that Apple sent out duplicate codes to people and everyone should have their new codes within 24 hours.

Thank goodness. First thing I did this morning was check my email hoping to install it... So annoying though. This isnt really a good first impression for apple...:mad:

blucable
Jul 25, 2012, 07:27 PM
Like it or not we are ALL tied together. I don't think he was blaming anyone. Rather his point simply implies that in the whole scheme of things this OS X update is a minor issue. Get downsized, home foreclosed, car repossessed, loved one lost, or miss a few meals and your perspective might change.

Here we go again, someone else not making sense at all :P

TechNovice
Jul 25, 2012, 07:44 PM
I wonder if the date of purchase has anything to do with "validation". I imagine that you would enter the date ordered, not the date shipped - if you ordered the computer online.

user418
Jul 25, 2012, 07:48 PM

Here we go again, someone else not making sense at all :P

Abstract thinking is obviously beyond your present mental capacity.

undies1993
Jul 25, 2012, 07:50 PM
I wonder if the date of purchase has anything to do with "validation". I imagine that you would enter the date ordered, not the date shipped - if you ordered the computer online.

I think you are thinking too deeply into an apple blunder.

tannyboy
Jul 25, 2012, 07:51 PM
No dice here,

Redeem code "has already been used"

Bollocks, guess its the waiting game to get another code ey?

blucable
Jul 25, 2012, 07:52 PM

I think it's beyond yours, your intellectual kinda talk doesn't save you from it.

undies1993
Jul 25, 2012, 07:52 PM
No dice here,

Redeem code "has already been used"

Bollocks, guess its the waiting game to get another code ey?

When did you receive the original code?

aziatiklover
Jul 25, 2012, 07:55 PM
I submit my request this morning and still nothing! Fuuuuuuuu :eek: :confused:

slippery-pete
Jul 25, 2012, 07:56 PM
Nothing......well done Apple

tannyboy
Jul 25, 2012, 07:57 PM
When did you receive the original code?

Got mine this morning (well overnight Australian time) submitted it around 5 PM (yesterday)

Pianoblack3
Jul 25, 2012, 07:58 PM
I completely forgot about the free upgrade and bought ML, let's hope someone else will be able to use the code when I get it.

Gimmie?:P

KdParker
Jul 25, 2012, 08:00 PM
Got mine this morning (well overnight Australian time) submitted it around 5 PM (yesterday)

so...some codes are getting out then

ZipZap
Jul 25, 2012, 08:01 PM
I took the date apple charged me from the online invoice.

techiegirl
Jul 25, 2012, 08:02 PM
I submitted mine at 6am this morning (pacific time) and received the code within 5 minutes. I just tried downloading it now and it says code has already been used.

CKohkah
Jul 25, 2012, 08:03 PM
I submitted my claim this morning and received a code 30 minutes later... I tried it about an hour ago and I'm getting what everyone else is getting. This code has already been redeemed. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

dcorban
Jul 25, 2012, 08:06 PM
Almost 12 hours now and I'm still sitting here with an invalid redemption code. Mistakes like this make me wonder how the hell Apple managed to be so successful.

kpress3
Jul 25, 2012, 08:06 PM
Thank goodness. First thing I did this morning was check my email hoping to install it... So annoying though. This isnt really a good first impression for apple...:mad:

I agree. I still haven't received my new code. It better be here tomorrow or I'll be writing some angry posts in this forum! :rolleyes:

amfca
Jul 25, 2012, 08:07 PM
Still no code ever received from Apple via email.
Submitted over 7 hours ago, p.s.t

aziatiklover
Jul 25, 2012, 08:08 PM
So I submit another request again lol

undies1993
Jul 25, 2012, 08:11 PM
So I submit another request again lol

How is this going to help?

TEX the MEX
Jul 25, 2012, 08:13 PM
Question, is the online form the only thing required for the up-to-date program? I put it in about 4 hours ago, and noticed in the Ts & Cs that it says proof of purchase must be emailed too, but there is no information anywhere that I can find to say where to email it to, and I am yet to receive any emails from apple in regards to the request.

user418
Jul 25, 2012, 08:18 PM

I think it's beyond yours, your intellectual kinda talk doesn't save you from it.

Welcome to MR. Hope you'll stick around for a while, as I'm sure all will benefit from your presence.

blucable
Jul 25, 2012, 08:18 PM
Still no code either, just got an e-mail from Apple which made me happy at first saying "mountain lion is here!" but when I open it it's just them advertising it :(:(:(

salmoally
Jul 25, 2012, 08:20 PM
This one royal **** up.

How hard can it be to make something like this automated and instant?

I can do it in 3 steps:

1) Go to Apple.com up to date page
2) Enter email address and serial number and click claim
3) Server checks details and generates a code

Done.

Stuff like this is only going make more people hold off on Mac purchases closer to OS releases, I know I will next time.

chiguy20002
Jul 25, 2012, 08:22 PM
It has been almost 12 hours since I submitted my information the first time, and I still have nothing, even checked the Spam folder.

Mad Mac
Jul 25, 2012, 08:24 PM
Apple really showing their true colors on this fiasco. It's not like the release of ML caught them by surprise.

Unecessarily difficult submission (scan or email receipt when they can just electronically verify the computer), encrypted PDF and secondary emails with passwords, screw ups left and right with early submissions and wrong codes, etc. etc. all for a $20 patch job.

You'd think with all that money in the bank they can hire some competent people and actually test their systems before going live instead of hording money and handing out extravagant bonuses to the execs.

I'd never trust iCloud if they can't even deal with people who bought a new computer in 2012 and are eligible for a free upgrade.

tannyboy
Jul 25, 2012, 08:24 PM
so...some codes are getting out then

Code didnt work though - just waiting for the resend and i've emailed that support address with my issue too.

gramirez2012
Jul 25, 2012, 08:25 PM
I submitted my claim this morning around 9:45am and still have not received the code (8:30pm). Getting kinda restless.

scottct1
Jul 25, 2012, 08:30 PM
I got a Retina Macbook Pro and submitted for my upgrade this morning at 10 am and haven't heard boo back from Apple.

I just got an email from Apple a few minutes ago which I hoped was my code, but nope instead it was an ad to sell me the software and a new Macbook Pro.

I am REALLY disappointed in Apple of their handling of this.

tncdel
Jul 25, 2012, 08:34 PM
I was greatly disappointed by OS X 10.7. A long laundry list of defects and shortcomings versus OS X 10.6. Safari was a lot worse using OS X 10.7 than 10.6. Slower, among other things. And Safari history was truncated. No longer did it include history for google searches or my yahoo email pages, among other things.

And it screwed up Text Edit. Among other things, it now won't let me paste two photos onto one text edit page, then print out the page with both pics side-by-side, as I was able to do using 10.6 and earlier OS X versions.

AppleCare told me I would need to purchase iCloud in order to have the same capability as I did simply using OS X 10.6.

I've been holding off switching back to 10.6 till I see how people are talking about 10.8. I have no use for the bells and whistles. I don't have an iPad or even a cellphone, so all that stuff related to such things is of no use to me.

What I want is improved performance by Safari and other things basic to actual computer use. If all that 10.8 comes down to are more features, then I'll just return to OS X 10.6. 10.7 sucks.

rbf1138
Jul 25, 2012, 08:35 PM
In response to my email about my invalid code to the uptodate email, I got this email:

Validation result: Approved.

Along with some huge string of numbers that resembles the code I had gotten in a previous email to unlock my redemption code. Needless to say, this did nothing and my code was still invalid.

eron
Jul 25, 2012, 08:36 PM
Apple could make all who have issues updating a little less unhappy by giving a $10 app store code. :D

kayno
Jul 25, 2012, 08:41 PM
I got a Retina Macbook Pro and submitted for my upgrade this morning at 10 am and haven't heard boo back from Apple.

I just got an email from Apple a few minutes ago which I hoped was my code, but nope instead it was an ad to sell me the software and a new Macbook Pro.

Was excited too when I got that email.. I'm thinking I might just purchase the damn thing.. tired of waiting.. waited long enough already..

dmk1974
Jul 25, 2012, 08:44 PM

13 hours now and still jack squat. :mad:

----------

Yeah, I got two of those stupid emails too. Of course no code though! :mad:

MaroonMushroom
Jul 25, 2012, 08:45 PM
If you're tired of waiting for your key, then just torrent it.

There's a good torrent of the DMG on TPB with a dedicated seed box.

D/L speeds are great :apple:

undies1993
Jul 25, 2012, 08:47 PM
13 hours now and still jack squat. :mad:

It seems like the have released any that have worked.

orthorim
Jul 25, 2012, 08:47 PM
submitted 8 hours ago.

nothing.

blucable
Jul 25, 2012, 08:56 PM
Apple really showing their true colors on this fiasco. It's not like the release of ML caught them by surprise.

Unecessarily difficult submission (scan or email receipt when they can just electronically verify the computer), encrypted PDF and secondary emails with passwords, screw ups left and right with early submissions and wrong codes, etc. etc. all for a $20 patch job.

You'd think with all that money in the bank they can hire some competent people and actually test their systems before going live instead of hording money and handing out extravagant bonuses to the execs.

I'd never trust iCloud if they can't even deal with people who bought a new computer in 2012 and are eligible for a free upgrade.

Man, I believe you are right! the not being able to keep up with which macs qualify is kinda odd...

Is this some strategy to fish those who can't afford to wait and just buy the thing?

quadrakid
Jul 25, 2012, 09:01 PM
I can't even get the uptodate link to work to get to the redeem code....

Australian apple store "uptodate" whats up?

AidenShaw
Jul 25, 2012, 09:02 PM
Hmmm... "early hiccups"

If something similar would happen for a Windows or Android release, what do you want to bet that the headline at MR would be something about "monumental screwup"?

But it's Apple, so the monumental screwups are just "hiccups".

This is an "amateur hour" release - totally due to incompetence at Apple.

orthorim
Jul 25, 2012, 09:07 PM
submitted 8 hours ago.

nothing.

Just found out that I filled out the wrong up-to-date page, the US one. There's apparently country specific ones for each country.

So I went to fill out another one for Thailand, and got a "This is an already claimed serial number" bug. Well - no ****. Gonna call customer service.

aziatiklover
Jul 25, 2012, 09:14 PM
How is this going to help?

wanted to see if it was in the system and would give me an error like your serial number was submitted already or something in that line. However, it went thru again :confused:

beez1717
Jul 25, 2012, 09:15 PM
Apple should have at least sent you an automated email letting you know that they had gotten your request and that they are working on it, and given you and update if there were any issues or something.

blucable
Jul 25, 2012, 09:16 PM
Just talked to an apple customer support person and they said it can take anytime from 48 to 72 hours after you apply for the code and may be a little more than that. I guess I am getting off here for the day.

alone
Jul 25, 2012, 09:17 PM
hey guys, look at apple website.
They are accepting voluntary to fix their redemption code system :rolleyes:

okboy
Jul 25, 2012, 09:18 PM
People are really taking Apple for granted. I'm pissed too cause I've been waiting forever for ML. But I read a lot of tech blogs and it seems like the most common headlines are like: "LG delays Android update for 3 phones", "HTC Focus won't get Android ICS update after all". ML being delayed for "up to 24 hours" for some customers is not much in comparison. But ****, do I want to use AirPlay and all the rest. But mistakes happen!

eron
Jul 25, 2012, 09:18 PM
hey guys, look at apple website.
They are accepting voluntary to fix their redemption code system :rolleyes:

What do you mean?

macmyworld
Jul 25, 2012, 09:20 PM
Here is what Apple should have done. Accept requests for the last month so they could process them and send out the codes. Why wait for the release date to tick off their customers? Really silly. Time for an email to Tim Cook (yes I know he won't read it).

Jonathanp55
Jul 25, 2012, 09:25 PM
So I submitted mine about 8am in the morning, and STILL no code or email of any kind. WTF. I was kind of wanting to download this today. :mad::mad::mad:

----------

I got the same email. I went on and checked my email, got it from apple and got my hopes up. Then it is a stupid ad. If Apple has not noticed, I have already got a new Mac, so I really just need the stupid code. :mad:

eron
Jul 25, 2012, 09:26 PM
Here is what Apple should have done. Accept requests for the last month so they could process them and send out the codes. Why wait for the release date to tick off their customers? Really silly. Time for an email to Tim Cook (yes I know he won't read it).

So that people who returns their Mac won't get the code.

MacGurl111
Jul 25, 2012, 09:28 PM
So I submitted mine about 8am in the morning, and STILL no code or email of any kind. WTF. I was kind of wanting to download this today. :mad::mad::mad:

Me too