PDA

View Full Version : Podcasts iOS App to Receive Bug Fix Update Later Today [Update: It's Out]

MacRumors
Jul 25, 2012, 01:33 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/25/podcasts-ios-app-to-receive-bug-fix-update-later-today/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/07/NewImage25.png

After Apple's Podcasts app was released last month (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/26/apple-offers-new-dedicated-podcast-app-for-ios/), many users had complaints about bugs, crashes and other issues. All Things D says that an update should debut later today (http://allthingsd.com/20120725/apple-expected-to-update-buggy-podcast-app-later-today/) that will fix the problems and "vastly improve it":
Podcasts users take note: Apple has been hard at work tweaking the app to fix the problems that currently plague it and sources say the company expects to post an update to it this afternoon that should vastly improve it.Nearly two-thirds of reviews for the Podcasts app on the App Store gave it a one - or two-star review, with the app having a two-and-a-half-star review overall -- one of the lowest of all Apple's apps.

Podcasts had traditionally been housed in the iTunes app on iOS devices, but Apple has been working to streamline the user experience by breaking out some categories into their own apps, including Podcasts and iTunes U.

Update: As noted by Jim Dalrymple (http://www.loopinsight.com/2012/07/25/apple-updates-podcasts-app-for-ios/), Apple has released an update to the Podcasts app with these changes:
Podcasts 1.0.1 provides a number of improvements, including:

o Significant improvements to performance and stability
o Podcasts in your library now show the number of unplayed episodes
o Top Stations now show the podcast title if artwork is missing
o Playback speed is now remembered when playing the next episode
o Fix for a problem where the Subscribe button is inactive
o Resolution of an issue where Top Stations artwork may not appearPodcasts (http://appshopper.com/entertainment/podcasts-2) is a free download for the iPhone and iPad on the App Store. [Direct Link (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/podcasts/id525463029?mt=8)]

Article Link: Podcasts iOS App to Receive Bug Fix Update Later Today [Update: It's Out] (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/25/podcasts-ios-app-to-receive-bug-fix-update-later-today/)

GenesisJLS
Jul 25, 2012, 01:34 PM
Props to Apple for knowing they released buggy software and resolving the issues quickly.

MattLafferty
Thank goodness! I'm an avid podcast creator and listener... and the best of the app is great. When it freezes... and locks... and is unresponsive... that's awful.

Yippie!

mactmaster
Thanks! I have only one podcast subscription and the app usually crashes once every time I launch it.

flyingember
Jul 25, 2012, 01:35 PM
I sure hope so. it didn't do anything right the old setup in the ipod/video app did

it doesn't mark items as read with a sync, the ones that it does it doesnt' always delete off my ipad. the ones I've deleted manually it sometimes resyncs because of the first problem

bitfactory
Jul 25, 2012, 01:36 PM
Easily my least favorite app from Apple. Terribly slow, unresponsive, and downright odd design.

I still can't believe this app was made by Apple.

Elvin77
Jul 25, 2012, 01:37 PM
If this App had come from any other developer it would have been killed by 1 star reviews. It the buggiest piece of #$%^ I have used on my iOS devices in a long time. Hope the new version fixes the dozen or so issues I have with the app.

aindik
Jul 25, 2012, 01:37 PM
It needs to support playlists with episodes of multiple podcasts in a single list, in chron order but re-order-able manually. If it doesn't do that, I'm sticking with Downcast. Which I frankly might do anyway.

Kal El
Jul 25, 2012, 01:39 PM
About time. One of the wors version 1 apps I have ever used.

alm99
Jul 25, 2012, 01:40 PM
This app was atrocious. Just leave podcasts in with the music app.

Yelmurc
Jul 25, 2012, 01:41 PM
While bug fixes are great its still lacking several features. I Hope they don't just squash the bugs and ignore it.

NT1440
Jul 25, 2012, 01:42 PM
Thank god!

tkermit
Jul 25, 2012, 01:43 PM
Sure hope it's a bit faster :o

The "Dude"
Jul 25, 2012, 01:44 PM
Thank goodness!

I loved the potential of the app but the bugs made it useless.

And I for one do not like the podcasts to be in the music app. They were the only reason I ever had to sync my phone with my mac.

Navdakilla
Jul 25, 2012, 01:46 PM
Thank apple, Amoungst other things I for some reason have a phantom podcast with no actual audio with my other ones. When I delete it, it keeps coming back. Weirddd

dashiel
Jul 25, 2012, 01:46 PM
Itís rather shocking this was released in the state it was. There seemed no reason to launch when it did, I seem to recall most people were speculating/expecting it to arrive with iOS 6.

nlr
Jul 25, 2012, 01:47 PM
Am I the only one with subscriptions that don't sync on iCloud to all devices?

Vertigo50
Jul 25, 2012, 01:49 PM
Okay, I am seriously BAFFLED as to why anyone would use this app. There are SO MANY GREAT podcast apps in the store. iCatcher is my personal favorite, but Podcaster and many others offer so much customization, no download limits, and a bunch of fine-tuning controls that aren't available in Apple's app.

Why do people waste their time with this thing?

claygreenberg
Jul 25, 2012, 01:50 PM
Here's hoping this update is much much much better. Podcasts, as it was released, was absolutely unacceptable.

northernbaldy
Jul 25, 2012, 01:50 PM
Hope it works!

TimAlia
Jul 25, 2012, 01:56 PM
Maybe this time the UI will look like a record player instead of reel to reel tapes. Or maybe the new design will be a music box!

http://retrothing.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/02/29/otokibako.jpg

l.w41sh
Jul 25, 2012, 01:59 PM
Apple don't work on anything unless it is sending out our damn codes!

Porchland
Jul 25, 2012, 01:59 PM
This app is so vastly inferior to Downcast in both UI and functionality that I'm surprised Apple even released it.

CausticPuppy
Jul 25, 2012, 02:01 PM
Yeah.... I tried it for a while, just too slow and unstable. I had been using Casts Lite until then.

Based on a number of reviews I spent the 2 bucks on Downcast and couldn't be happier.

danimal99
Jul 25, 2012, 02:01 PM
It's annoying when someone tries to design something halfway interesting, only to have people **** all over it, because it's not designed to YOUR specifications. Get over yourself.

Edit: And I'm talking about the reel to reel critics, specifically. I'm also surprised they released it as buggy as it was, but then it may have worked perfectly in the lab, and been atrocious in the wild. It happens. They're fixing it. Problem solved.

phillipduran
Jul 25, 2012, 02:05 PM
Easily my least favorite app from Apple. Terribly slow, unresponsive, and downright odd design.

Totally agree. The app design is very clunky and finding what you need is cumbersome. It almost seems like some Apple TV podcast app was made and dropped into the APP store for the iPhone.

wovel
Jul 25, 2012, 02:07 PM
Nearly two-thirds of reviews for the Podcasts app on the App Store gave it a one - or two-star review, with the app having a two-and-a-half-star review overall -- one of the lowest of all Apple's apps.

Surely no one gave it more than 2 stars, it was awful.

phillipduran
Jul 25, 2012, 02:07 PM
Yeah.... I tried it for a while, just too slow and unstable. I had been using Casts Lite until then.

Based on a number of reviews I spent the 2 bucks on Downcast and couldn't be happier.

Without a doubt, the Apple podcast app has been the best thing for Downcast ever. I'm curious to know the % increase for app sells over the past month or two for Downcast.

ThunderSkunk
Jul 25, 2012, 02:11 PM
I really wanted this to be an app I'd love.

1. Getting annoyed by all the extra taps Apple's apps have been requiring lately to do basic stuff that should only require one or two taps. These UI's are getting needlessly busy, inefficient, and inelegant. of which this app is a great example.

2. I tried Stitcher. Get it together, Apple.

bearda
Jul 25, 2012, 02:12 PM
It's annoying when someone tries to design something halfway interesting, only to have people **** all over it, because it's not designed to YOUR specifications. Get over yourself.

My primary specifications include:
1) Not locking up
2) Not restarting randomly

Regardless of how interesting the Podcast app may be I don't think those are lofty goals, and not being able to attain them is a perfectly good reason to **** all over it.

miamialley
Jul 25, 2012, 02:13 PM
Props to Apple for knowing they released buggy software and resolving the issues quickly.

Quickly?!

Reason077
Jul 25, 2012, 02:21 PM
More quality issues from Apple. This would not have happened on Steve's watch. Let's hope its not a terminal decline.

----------

I vote down all posts containing the word "whilst."

Whilst you were away, I arranged to have the "Vote Down" button removed from your computer. Sorry.

Sedrick
Jul 25, 2012, 02:21 PM

My thoughts exactly. Terrible to use and nearly unresponsive. I found myself tap-tap-tap-tapping all over the UI to get it to react.

I canned it and went back to the music app.

Originally Posted by GenesisJLS
Just had to come in here and say something nice, eh? :D

iSee
Jul 25, 2012, 02:22 PM
It badly needs it.
When it came out I was quite excited because it's feature set was perfect for me and I was anxious to cut the cord with iTunes.

But there were too many bugs. The biggest one for me is that it refused to automatically download anything.
There were many other annoyances (e.g., long hangs when switching to it, randomly marking old postcasts as unplayed.)

It was a horrible release.

I'm glad they are fixing it, but I already moved on to Downcast (a pretty good app at $1.99)

danimal99
Jul 25, 2012, 02:24 PM
My primary specifications include:
1) Not locking up
2) Not restarting randomly

Regardless of how interesting the Podcast app may be I don't think those are lofty goals, and not being able to attain them is a perfectly good reason to **** all over it.

I thought I made it clear I was talking about the criticism of the reel-to-reel design. I edited it like 10 seconds after the original post- there couldn't have been enough time for you to only see my original post that made that a bit ambiguous.

FightTheFuture
Jul 25, 2012, 02:29 PM
Itís rather shocking this was released in the state it was. There seemed no reason to launch when it did, I seem to recall most people were speculating/expecting it to arrive with iOS 6.I have a nagging feeling that Apple released this app early because of iOS6 leaks on the rumor-blogosphere.

Bubba Satori
Jul 25, 2012, 02:29 PM

Didn't anybody else get half way through this sentence and start laughing? :p

miamialley
Jul 25, 2012, 02:35 PM
----------

[/COLOR]

Whilst you were away, I arranged to have the "Vote Down" button removed from your computer. Sorry.

I know, now I'm lost.

It really was stupid to remove the down vote though. We can only like posts, but not dislike them? Like kindergarten.

The Phazer
Jul 25, 2012, 02:37 PM

It's annoying when workable software that followed the HIG and UI guidelines for the iPhone is replaced with skeuomorphic **** with an opaque UI.

theOtherGeoff
Jul 25, 2012, 02:43 PM
sources say the company expects to post an update to it this afternoonWell.... We're Waiting.....!!!!
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_11AaBGP7fzQ/Rs42Q-btOFI/AAAAAAAAADI/lDtxCETrekk/s200/Judge_Smails.jpg

pk7
Jul 25, 2012, 02:43 PM
It's annoying when workable software that followed the HIG and UI guidelines for the iPhone is replaced with skeuomorphic **** with an opaque UI.

It's THAT word again! :eek:

Yes, I know what it means. I've just seen an influx in the usage of this word lately.

Fresh Pie
Jul 25, 2012, 02:53 PM
I don't watch/listen to many podcasts, but I downloaded the app to see what everybody is talking about. It ran for a minute before freezing up and crashing. I'm probably not going to open it ever again.

I know, now I'm lost.

It really was stupid to remove the down vote though. We can only like posts, but not dislike them? Like kindergarten.

And worse yet: it's reminiscent of FaceBook. Ugh.

MacFan1957
Jul 25, 2012, 03:01 PM
Okay, I am seriously BAFFLED as to why anyone would use this app. There are SO MANY GREAT podcast apps in the store. iCatcher is my personal favorite, but Podcaster and many others offer so much customization, no download limits, and a bunch of fine-tuning controls that aren't available in Apple's app.

Christ it must be wired being you. Forever wondering how anyone, ANYONE at all could share a opinion other than yours!

bearda
Jul 25, 2012, 03:04 PM
I thought I made it clear I was talking about the criticism of the reel-to-reel design. I edited it like 10 seconds after the original post- there couldn't have been enough time for you to only see my original post that made that a bit ambiguous.

It must have been just enough time for me to hit the quote button. :o

Sorry I missed the ninja-edit. When I read the first part the reel-to-reel bit didn't come through.

DaveMcM76
Jul 25, 2012, 03:13 PM
Things they need to sort out for me:

Freezing / Crashing... and I mean ALL the time...
Syncing played / unplayed episodes back to iTunes / Music app properly
Random episodes of podcasts suddenly getting flagged as Unplayed and downloading themselves on my iPhone

I gave up and went back to the Music app because the Podcast app just caused too many headaches...

nyctravis
Jul 25, 2012, 03:30 PM
Aside from the UI, which I could give or take, the functionality of this app is one of the worst I've seen and still am shocked it came from Apple. Embarrassing.

Nickerbocker
Jul 25, 2012, 03:43 PM
Don't mind the concept of the app or the look and feel but the execution is just terrible. Slow, unresponsive and riddled with bugs (that kind that freeze my iPhone for a little over a minute and then crash back to home screen...can't even home button out of it....). Setting a podcast up for autodownload has never worked right. I have reinstalled iOS on my iPhone 4 and still have problems with this terrible POS app.

Hopefully this update will make the app what it should have been from the start. I'm starting to wonder if Apple is dropping the ball in the QA department.

hagar
Jul 25, 2012, 03:56 PM
can someone explain to me how this app relates to the old ďsync podcasts manually from iTunesĒ feature?

I mean, when you enable iTunes Match you can no longer sync music from iTunes on Mac because it goes over the air. But this does not hold for the new Podcast app. What happens when you still sync podcasts manually with iTunes? Do you get podcast episodes twice? where do they appear? Why do video podcasts still appear in the videos app?

For me this is all quite messy at the moment.

Beezzy
Jul 25, 2012, 03:57 PM
It really is a buggy app. I wish it wasn't it would make it so much better!

nagromme
Jul 25, 2012, 03:59 PM
I guess itís popular to pile on Apple when they make a mistake.

I know I like to do it! This app has been awful. Bad UI, which doesnít even work sometimes. Bad features badly organized. Crashes. Itís worse than playing podcasts directly in the iTunes Store, and thatís saying something!

DrDomVonDoom
Jul 25, 2012, 04:07 PM
I was really looking foreward to this app, i was using instacast but the new update rubbed me te wrong way, aside from being buggy and having horrible hang times when you first start up the app, or switching between podcasts( easily 15-20 seconds) They need to use iCloud and actually endorse their own infastructure! I liked having my **** synced across devices. Now i dont know of i wanna wait for a usable version or go back to instacast. :/

penguintheft
Jul 25, 2012, 04:09 PM
Fantastic! Mountain Lion this morning was great, but knowing they're going to update this AWFUL app with SO much potential is really great news. There's a lot wrong with the Podcasts app, but most of those are because it's buggy, slow, and almost unusable right now. I really want to like it.

irnchriz
Jul 25, 2012, 04:15 PM
all they needed to do was put in a "working" animation for when it is looking for new podcast episodes for the shows that you subscribe to. At the moment it just appears to be frozen but it is actually downloading podcasts etc.

It was silly of them to not have this already as it was always going to cause issues with users who, for the most part, are extremely impatient.

bobringer
Jul 25, 2012, 04:17 PM
Without a doubt, the Apple podcast app has been the best thing for Downcast ever. I'm curious to know the % increase for app sells over the past month or two for Downcast.

I never used Podcasting apps on my iPad. I watch a LOT of Podcasts, but just used my computer... or the old music app.

When the Podcasts app came out I was really excited. Then it sucked. They I gave Downcast my money. I'm happy I did.

Sorry Apple... I'm not coming back to your Podcast app (I'm not sure they care as long as I'm on an iPad).

bitfactory
Jul 25, 2012, 04:28 PM

Edit: And I'm talking about the reel to reel critics, specifically. I'm also surprised they released it as buggy as it was, but then it may have worked perfectly in the lab, and been atrocious in the wild. It happens. They're fixing it. Problem solved.

Defending this app is beyond the pale.

You must be the project manager at Apple who drove this abomination.

vtstarck
Jul 25, 2012, 04:39 PM
Soooo where is this update?

quietstormSD
Jul 25, 2012, 04:43 PM

Agreed. At first I was excited a standalone podcast app was available from Apple. But the app is horrible. Other better ones are out there in the app store.

iSee
Jul 25, 2012, 04:45 PM
all they needed to do was put in a "working" animation for when it is looking for new podcast episodes for the shows that you subscribe to. At the moment it just appears to be frozen but it is actually downloading podcasts etc.

It was silly of them to not have this already as it was always going to cause issues with users who, for the most part, are extremely impatient.

It's not simply a matter of an animation. The UI doesn't just appear frozen -- it freezes: that is, it becomes unresponsive to user actions. In addition to an animation, they need to fully move this processing to a background thread (a basic & standard thing which is why it's so surprising that Apple muffed it. You'd expect better from a college kid doing her first iPhone app.)

krishatesworld
Jul 25, 2012, 04:47 PM
Curious...

So is this terrible, terrible app the shameful result of HTML5? The Facebook app is equally terrible due to this resource-hogging standard, as well as Youtube playback on Macs...

vtstarck
Jul 25, 2012, 04:49 PM
Soooo where is this update?

It's live for me now.

Kai.Def
Jul 25, 2012, 04:50 PM
glad to see my experience with the app (old) re - affirmed - I thought it was my iphone 4 so far but it appears that the initial launch of the podcast app was somewhat sh@t.

Apple has always been much of the stance that "it just works" - hope this update does the mantra justice! I really hope they maintain that approach as stuff like this makes me wonder....

lets see what this "insanely great" update will bring

regards
\K

iSee
Jul 25, 2012, 04:53 PM

The design and feature set of Podcasts is perfect for my uses. I don't particularly like a lot of customization options because I don't want to have to screw around with them to get the app working. I just want the app to work.

The problem with Podcasts is that it doesn't actually function the way it is supposed to.

Young Turk
Jul 25, 2012, 04:55 PM
It's live for me now.

me too.

rodrigomarrafao
Jul 25, 2012, 04:56 PM
This app is a joke! Is it still tied only to apple ecosystem? This is the most disturbing part of it. And I thought Apple would be more open in post Jobs era. Silly me. Hardware and software are becoming a blatant ofense to any serious technology consumer.

Looking forward to see which company will take its former place.

Vertigo50
Jul 25, 2012, 05:11 PM
The design and feature set of Podcasts is perfect for my uses. I don't particularly like a lot of customization options because I don't want to have to screw around with them to get the app working. I just want the app to work.

The problem with Podcasts is that it doesn't actually function the way it is supposed to.

Fair enough, but with iCatcher and Podcaster, the default settings will work for the majority of people. Then if you want to tweak a bit more, you can. I haven't used Podcaster since I switched to iCatcher, but I never had the kind of stability problems I've heard about from Apple's app.

Based on what you say, I would give them a try if I were you. You'll never go back.

Sackvillenb
Jul 25, 2012, 05:15 PM
About time! I'm surprised Apple released such a buggy app, but at least they fixed it relatively soon...

SnarlyCookie
Jul 25, 2012, 05:21 PM
Is it just me or is the updated version even worse? It won't even boot (tried a dozen times)

Lou E. Ville
Jul 25, 2012, 05:22 PM
Just updated...it's still as laggy as ever.

Pathetic.

Sh4wN
Jul 25, 2012, 05:24 PM
This app is a joke! Is it still tied only to apple ecosystem? This is the most disturbing part of it. And I thought Apple would be more open in post Jobs era. Silly me. Hardware and software are becoming a blatant ofense to any serious technology consumer.

Looking forward to see which company will take its former place.

Well, um... Do you expect Apples podcast app to work on android devices or what exactly is your problem? o.O

As for the update: much, much better now. Faster, seems stable, auto download started fetching new episodes right away and covers finally show up correctly.

lukemcurley
Jul 25, 2012, 05:28 PM
I just updated the Podcasts app on my iPhone 3GS. It is still painfully slow and unresponsive. Not fixed.

bearda
Jul 25, 2012, 05:30 PM
Well, um... Do you expect Apples podcast app to work on android devices or what exactly is your problem? o.O

As for the update: much, much better now. Faster, seems stable, auto download started fetching new episodes right away and covers finally show up correctly.

I think he means he'd like to be able to enter podcast URLs, like you can on iTunes. Right now you can only select Apple-approved podcasts.

JackSYi
Jul 25, 2012, 05:32 PM
I just updated the Podcasts app on my iPhone 3GS. It is still painfully slow and unresponsive. Not fixed.

It was just as slow for me too, until I rebooted the app. It is definitely "significantly" more stable and responsive.

iSee
Jul 25, 2012, 05:43 PM
Defending this app is beyond the pale.

You must be the project manager at Apple who drove this abomination.

The poster was defending the design not the terribly buggy implementation (hopefully fixed now, but we'll see).

I personally like the design quite a bit.
It has all the functionality I want without endless amounts of crap I don't want.
I also quite like the tile view (that I can put in the order I want) and the asymmetric jump forward & back buttons with well chosen intervals.
I have nothing against so-called "skeuomorphic" designs which for some reason so many people suddenly seem to hate. (Personally, I suspect that most of those people are just excited to learn a new word and want to use it as much as possible, so they form a strong opinion in order to do so. Anyway, it's pretty hard to find apps with no skeuomorphic design elements so I hope people aren't really that upset by them.)
I'm not too fond of "top stations" but then again I spend 99% of my time interacting with the app selecting a podcast to play or jumping forward or back in the current podcast to skip or replay something, so I'm not too concerned with the other screens as long as they stay out of my way.

Curious...

So is this terrible, terrible app the shameful result of HTML5? The Facebook app is equally terrible due to this resource-hogging standard, as well as Youtube playback on Macs...
No. You probably shouldn't hate HTML5 as much as you do, since you don't seem to know what it is.

----------

Fair enough, but with iCatcher and Podcaster, the default settings will work for the majority of people. Then if you want to tweak a bit more, you can. I haven't used Podcaster since I switched to iCatcher, but I never had the kind of stability problems I've heard about from Apple's app.

Based on what you say, I would give them a try if I were you. You'll never go back.

Well, I actually already bought Downcast, which seems OK. I do agree Podcasts was terribly unstable (hopefully fixed now). I'll probably just roll with Downcast for now.

vtstarck
Jul 25, 2012, 05:43 PM
It was just as slow for me too, until I rebooted the app. It is definitely "significantly" more stable and responsive.

I rebooted the app and it still freezes.

hereliesandy
Jul 25, 2012, 05:54 PM
The app is still pretty laggy for me as well. I'm on an iPhone 4S too.

JackSYi
Jul 25, 2012, 05:55 PM
I rebooted the app and it still freezes.

Restarting?

The Phazer
Jul 25, 2012, 06:04 PM
Dear god, it's even worse!

It's so laggy it's like someone else is VLCing into my phone and issuing different touch commands.

And the baffling UI remains. There's still no way to make downloading wifi only. Or see what's downloading without entering details on every single podcast. Or enter the app and not download tracks, without having to do everything for every single podcast manually (like you'd want to do if you were on 3G). Or to view pictures on Enhanced podcasts & navigate chapters at the same time. Or navigate chapters easily at all to be blunt. Many UI elements remain confusing. The defaults for new subscriptions remain ****. Deleting individual episodes vs deleting subscriptions use two different swipe to delete paradigms.

FFS Apple.

ssanders79
Jul 25, 2012, 06:25 PM
I had to uninstall and re download the app for my iPhoneto getting to stop crashing.

Still does not sync between my iPad and iPhone. I would have rather waited for iOS 6 to implement the new podcast app.

Dionte
Jul 25, 2012, 06:27 PM
Much better now.

Raddock
Jul 25, 2012, 06:37 PM
Deleting and reinstalling helps a ton.

mactmaster
Jul 25, 2012, 06:41 PM
New update is still kind of sluggish and does lock-up momentarily but I have not seen a single crash yet. I would have experienced at least 3 crashes by now using 1.0.

dingamahoo
Jul 25, 2012, 07:12 PM
Deleting and reinstalling helps a ton.

Thanks for that. Fixed everything for me. App now works without delay. Had to re-enter all my settings, though, which was annoying.

In general, I'm happy with this app, though. I've waiting for auto downloading for years. Glad to be able to see in list view, which are the most recent casts to come in, etc.

mantan
Jul 25, 2012, 07:22 PM

I know it did for me. I listen to a lot of Podcasts and really liked the idea of a standalone app. But the Podcast app was a fiasco. I listened to the people here and got Downcast and love it.

devsfan1830
Jul 25, 2012, 07:28 PM
Anyone else having the search field dissappear after tapping into a podcast to subscribe? I end up having to kill and relaunch the app to get it back. Plus, there still isnt an indication that you successfully subscribed. You tap subscribe and theres zero visual feedback like there is with iTunes and the App Store. I dont know if any of this is due to my iOS6 beta or its in the app itself. Havent tried to sync progress with itunes but im sure that'll fail too. This is dissapointing. Ive never seen Apple fail with thier own apps. They made the OS and device, if anyone would get it right it SHOULD be them.

Edit: and now when i sort the "store" by category all i get is a blank grey screen. This app remains useless.

Stella
Jul 25, 2012, 08:13 PM
The podcasting app was a great idea.. but it was a POS. Apple rushed it and released any old crap. Basically, Apple being lazy - ironic since they called Adobe lazy for buggy / poor performing software.

Hopefully this fixes the glaring performance problems.

irDigital0l
Jul 25, 2012, 08:34 PM
Finally...

Apple why did u make me suffer for 1 month with a buggy and slow app?

its much faster

wovel
Jul 25, 2012, 08:44 PM
One day it might actually play podcasts in the order they were created. It is not really that hard, the music app can do it.

celavato
Jul 25, 2012, 10:41 PM
Maybe this time the UI will look like a record player instead of reel to reel tapes. Or maybe the new design will be a music box

Funny but the real problem with this app is it's lack of awareness of other Apple products -- like iTunes for example. I use iCloud for calendar, contacts, and bookmarks, but I use iTunes as the mothership for music and podcasts.

I like the idea of a dedicated app for podcasts with more controls but it needs to work with iTunes. I don't want to manage podcasts in two places.

I beam podcasts from iTunes to Apple TV or to an iOS devices via the Shared setting in the Music app. The Podcasts app doesn't even have this functionality. Again, it's an island, which is strange for a company that likes to integrate its products.

Westside guy
Jul 25, 2012, 11:56 PM
Still won't let me subscribe to my particular non-iTunes podcasts.

iTunes handles the feeds just fine, but the app on my iPhone won't even offer to let me subscribe when I search on the URL.

Unfortunately I don't like any of the other podcast apps I've tried - they try to do too much and are way too busy interface wise. I had hopes for this, but I'm stuck with wi-fi synching with iTunes for now.

soLoredd
Jul 26, 2012, 01:15 AM
I really like the app, working great on my 4S and iPad2. Much better than dealing with the awful Music app on iPad.

----------

Funny but the real problem with this app is it's lack of awareness of other Apple products -- like iTunes for example. I use iCloud for calendar, contacts, and bookmarks, but I use iTunes as the mothership for music and podcasts.

I like the idea of a dedicated app for podcasts with more controls but it needs to work with iTunes. I don't want to manage podcasts in two places.

I beam podcasts from iTunes to Apple TV or to an iOS devices via the Shared setting in the Music app. The Podcasts app doesn't even have this functionality. Again, it's an island, which is strange for a company that likes to integrate its products.

I have this working seamlessly between my Mac and iPad/iPhone using WiFi sync. My Mac handles downloading the new podcasts from my subscriptions then both iOS devices are set to sync via WiFi. I listen at work often on my iPhone, so when I get home I just run a quick sync and its marked as played on my Mac. Whenever I go to my iPad and run a sync its updated as well.

I do hope it gains the iCloud inclusion to make things even easier but so far this is working great. Only drawback for me is by doing the sync, when you tap on the podcast it only shows the synced file - doesn't give you the listing of previous podcasts to download on iOS device. Maybe they can change that.

Fatboy71
Jul 26, 2012, 01:54 AM
About time for the update, the Podcast app was awful, loading up and then it wouldn't response for 20 seconds or so, crashing. Hopefully with the update these will be fixed.

On the surface of it/feature wise I liked the Podcast app, but the problems I've mentioned made me hate it. Hopefully now it should work like it should.

I've tried loading the Podcast app a fair few times today, and every time it's loaded up fine, no lagging, freezing etc. This is what the first version should have been like!

macingman
Jul 26, 2012, 03:36 AM
FINALLY!! The first version was nothing less then rubbish and way to buggy to use consistently on my device.

----------

About time for the update, the Podcast app was awful, loading up and then it wouldn't response for 20 seconds or so, crashing.

At least I'm not the only one. Apple really shouldn't of released it in the state it was, they probably rushed it and it may have only really been meant for developers on iOS6.

CplBadboy
Jul 26, 2012, 05:45 AM
Still hangs, still unresponsive, still poor effort from Apple.

ssanders79
Jul 26, 2012, 07:35 AM
I have this working seamlessly between my Mac and iPad/iPhone using WiFi sync. My Mac handles downloading the new podcasts from my subscriptions then both iOS devices are set to sync via WiFi. I listen at work often on my iPhone, so when I get home I just run a quick sync and its marked as played on my Mac. Whenever I go to my iPad and run a sync its updated as well.

I do hope it gains the iCloud inclusion to make things even easier but so far this is working great. Only drawback for me is by doing the sync, when you tap on the podcast it only shows the synced file - doesn't give you the listing of previous podcasts to download on iOS device. Maybe they can change that.

What are you settings? I cannot get itunes and the app to sync like you described? I too use iTunes as the master control for music and podcasts allowing me to go between ios devices, Apple TV, itunes and air play speakers.

For podcasts in the app my settings are as follows:
Subscriptions: On
Auto-Download: On
Eps to Keep: All Unplayed Eps
Sort: Newest First

Will turning subscriptions to off allow itunes to be the master control?

For those devs with iOS 6, are podcasts still in the Music app?

stickboy2k
Jul 26, 2012, 09:00 AM
I'm afraid to try it the last one was so bad.

throys
Jul 26, 2012, 09:11 AM
Is it still laggy on all iOS versions or just on beta 6? If yes there is some incompatibility. The app itself is basic and I hope apple do more and use some innovation on this as it's worthwhile. On my iPhone 4S it still freezes on iPad 3 works much better.

MonkeySee....
Jul 26, 2012, 09:16 AM
The app is still not running great an needs a lot of work but I do like it as an app.

The only think i'd like to see would be a App badge to show if there are any un played podcasts.

I think people are being a little unfair on the app just because its got a few bugs

devsfan1830
Jul 26, 2012, 09:35 AM
What are you settings? I cannot get itunes and the app to sync like you described? I too use iTunes as the master control for music and podcasts allowing me to go between ios devices, Apple TV, itunes and air play speakers.

I also have my podcasts syncing properly with iTunes now as far as playback position. I do this over the dock connector rather than WiFi though. It does not sync subscription settings, but this may be something coming in the next iTunes. iTunes is likely not programmed to sync this information since no portable Apple product has ever allowed subscriptions on the device. If the next iTunes comes and this doesn't work THEN we would have reason to complain. For the time being, it seems like the best way to do things is to allow the device or your computer to perform automatic downloads but not both. I have my Podcasts subscribed so i see new eps, but my PC downloads automatically. The subscription lets me use Podcasts to see new eps and download if I cant get to my computer. Frankly, it seems more like we are being used to beta test the app so that it works perfectly when iOS6 rolls out. It would be great if they would just admit that from the start. The new version is way better but it still has bugs in the Catalog section (might just be iOS6 beta related). Id also like to see it stop playing when all downloaded episodes are done. If you have a subscription set, the app automatically streams the next, likely already listened to, episode rather that just stopping. To get around this I need to manually delete the entries for past episodes. In this respect, i end up deleting 100+ entries ONE AT A TIME for each of my 10 or so podcasts. TEDIUOUS as hell. So either fix that or add a button to delete all played episodes from the episode list.

I can also confirm that in iOS 6, the Music app recognizes the podcasts app and removes the category from Music. My car head unit can still see the podcasts regardless of what app controls them. If you have Audible audiobooks or podcasts, the Podcasts app now ignores them (previously it tried to download them but crashed the app since the app cant authenticate with Audible) and it can be found under the audiobooks category in Music.

TheRainKing
Jul 26, 2012, 09:46 AM
The update didn't fix much. It still runs like crap on my iPhone 3GS. Slow, buggy and worthless. It doesn't help that the GUI itself was awful to begin with.

Anyway, I just ran out of patience. I've deleted the app and will stick to listening to podcasts through the Music app.

celavato
Jul 26, 2012, 10:22 AM
I have this working seamlessly between my Mac and iPad/iPhone using WiFi sync. My Mac handles downloading the new podcasts from my subscriptions then both iOS devices are set to sync via WiFi.... I do hope it gains the iCloud inclusion to make things even easier but so far this is working great. Only drawback for me is by doing the sync, when you tap on the podcast it only shows the synced file - doesn't give you the listing of previous podcasts to download on iOS device. Maybe they can change that.

Okay, I stand slightly corrected. If you go into iTunes and select podcasts to sync with your iOS device then it will move those podcasts into the podcast app. My problem is that I mostly stream podcasts from iTunes as I listen to them at home and not on the go so there's no reason for me to use precious storage (especially video podcasts).

NewAnger
Jul 26, 2012, 10:27 AM
Still doesn't do anything with enhanced podcasts from Audible. Still worthless to me.

soLoredd
Jul 26, 2012, 11:13 AM

I have Subscriptions OFF in iOS but it worked with it ON. I have auto-download OFF in iOS. Eps to keep I have right now at 3 most recent new - personally, I don't need a bunch of older eps.

What will be great is if we can sync OTA our playback position/played. Right now, the only way I see to do it is to initiate a sync when I'm home; would be nice to have it do it automagically - basically have podcasts in the cloud.

northernbaldy
Jul 26, 2012, 02:44 PM
WTF? It's still crap!

whsbuss
Jul 26, 2012, 05:14 PM
Reloaded the update (1.0 was awful) and now it doesn't stay sync'd with iTunes. I did a sync from iTunes and two of my episodes were unplayed. So I listened for about an hour on one of them using Podcasts. When I sync'd back to iTunes it doesn't remember where I was. Similarly I finished an episode on iTunes, and after a sync, Podcasts shows it unplayed.

Not good.

vtstarck
Jul 26, 2012, 06:05 PM
I can confirm what was said above that completely deleting the app off your phone and then redownloading it fixes the lag problems.

jive turkey
Jul 26, 2012, 08:27 PM
I used to think that the worst app in the history of civilization was the old PocketMac app for syncing Blackberry's with OSX. This Podcast app disaster rivals it.

imahawki
Jul 27, 2012, 09:53 AM
I'm still having TONS of problems. Its very slow and locks up. Today listening to Freakanomics it wouldn't respond to any commands to skip forward nor would it jump ahead as I drug the current position indicator to the right. Also, I have two podcasts (Freakanomics and Car Talk) which are not working how they're configured. I have "episodes to keep" set to "all unplayed episodes" yet they both have dozens of played episodes (I've listened to them all) still in the list. I even did mark all as played and they won't go away. This app is the first and only app that has ever made me want to THROW my iPhone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HKZ/MST3K
Jul 28, 2012, 03:17 PM

What are you smoking?

Strike 1.
This app make my iPhone look like a ****ing Sony Walkman tape player. I didn't buy a tape player, I bought a digital music player.

Strike 2.
The app having a stupid interface, the aforementioned tape player BS, makes it harder to use. The little red progress mark is hard to hit reliably, and there's no way to scrub at different speeds. What exactly what wrong with podcasts being in the music app? Familiar and reliable app, and absolutely all of this stupidity can be thrown away and the main features integrated into the music app. There is absolutely no need to split media even further, and then realease a ****ing garbage app forcing people to use it(in the future). Don't fix what wasn't broken.

Strike 3.
It's completely different UI wise to the rest of every media app in iOS. This is the only one that Apple writes that changes a UI where it didn't need to be, and they made it completely unusable. Not to mention that before and since the update it takes the app 10-15 seconds before it responds to any input. I'm sorry, how does that not make it a completely worthless app again? Hard to use, stupid UI, pointless UI, breaks UI consistency, and it's overall junk.

This app is utter ****, from top to bottom. Apple should act like it never existed, pull it off the iTunes store, and then put all the features into the music app and make it better. This is an abstract failure and if it doesn't change completely by the time iOS 6 drops, all my podcasts are being labeled as music. I bought an iPhone, not a ****ing tape player, Apple.

NewAnger
Jul 28, 2012, 03:28 PM

I'll say iy again. This app is worthless to me. Why? Because it can not play podcasts purchased from Audible when the iPod app on my phone can play those very same podcasts. I'm talking about the enhanced podcasts, the ones with the best audio quality.

Clearly this app made by Apple is not made by the same people who worked on the Apple iPod app or they would have made this compatible with Audible enhanced audio.

devsfan1830
Jul 29, 2012, 10:20 AM
I'll say iy again. This app is worthless to me. Why? Because it can not play podcasts purchased from Audible when the iPod app on my phone can play those very same podcasts. I'm talking about the enhanced podcasts, the ones with the best audio quality.

Clearly this app made by Apple is not made by the same people who worked on the Apple iPod app or they would have made this compatible with Audible enhanced audio.

You can still play those, they go under the audiobooks section of Music (the "ipod app"). There's also the Audible app itself. I doubt Audible would be thrilled if Apples apps start mimicking theirs.

delta mono
Jul 29, 2012, 10:59 AM
I'm a bit confused about when the app "automatically" downloads content. I know you can stream content over 3G. But does it download content over 3G at any time? Or is it only when connected to WiFi?

Fatboy71
Aug 10, 2012, 12:52 PM
The podcast app has received another update:

From Apple:

Podcasts 1.0.2 provides performance and stability improvements, including addressing an issue that may*cause*Podcasts to quit unexpectedly on launch.

The update does not provide anything in the way of new features, but it does provide performance and stability improvements.