PDA

View Full Version : iPad's Share of Tablet Market Hits 68% in 2Q 2012

MacRumors
Jul 25, 2012, 03:35 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/25/ipads-share-of-tablet-market-hits-68-in-2q-2012/)

On the heels of Apple's earnings release (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/24/apple-reports-results-for-q3-2012-8-8-billion-profit-on-35-billion-in-revenue/) yesterday in which the company announced a record 17 million iPads sold during the second calendar quarter of 2012, research firm Strategy Analytics has published its estimates (http://blogs.strategyanalytics.com/TTS/post/2012/07/25/Apple-iPad-Captures-68-Percent-Share-of-25-Million-Global-Tablet-Shipments-in-Q2-2012.aspx) of the total global tablet market for the quarter. According to the report, Apple captured 68.3% of the market, up from 62% in the year-ago quarter and the company's highest share in nearly two years.Apple shipped a robust 17.0 million iPads worldwide and maintained its strong market leadership with 68 percent share during the second quarter of 2012. Apple continued to shrug off the much-hyped threat from Android and the iPad's global tablet share is at its highest level since Q3 2010. [...]

Despite high expectations for companies like Amazon, Samsung, Acer and Asus, the Android community has yet to make a serious dent in Apple's dominance of the tablet market. Unspectacular hardware designs, limited uptake of cellular models and a modest number of tablet-optimized services have been among some of the main reasons for Android's mixed performance so far.http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/07/strategy_analytics_tablets_2q12.jpg

Google's Android platform actually kept pace with the overall market's 66.8% growth, enabling it to hold steady with 29.3% of the market. Apple's 83% growth instead came at the expense of smaller players such as Microsoft, which saw its share of the market fall from 4% to 1.2% as the company has yet to roll it out its major tablet effort with Windows 8.

Apple's continued strength in the tablet market comes even though a number of observers have predicted an erosion of its dominant position amid increasing numbers of low-cost Android tablets. But with Apple riding high on the launch of the new third-generation iPad just prior to the start of the second quarter, Apple is improving its position in the market. With rumors of an "iPad mini" coming later this year, Apple could further solidify its leadership position by competing more closely on price with some of the recent high-profile Android entrants such as Amazon's Kindle Fire and Google's just-introduced Nexus 7.

Article Link: iPad's Share of Tablet Market Hits 68% in 2Q 2012 (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/25/ipads-share-of-tablet-market-hits-68-in-2q-2012/)

wickerman1893
Jul 25, 2012, 03:37 PM
Expected this with all the schools starting to adapt the iPad. With the launch of the Surface Tablet this number should drop a little bit by next year i would imagine.

appleguy123
Jul 25, 2012, 03:37 PM
There are arguably better smart phones than the iPhone, but the iPad really still is in a class of its own here. I use mine for everything.

gmanist1000
Jul 25, 2012, 03:39 PM
I'm still waiting to find out the impact an iPad Mini would have on the lower end tablet market. I wonder if it would completely dominate the entire marketshare of the lower end tablets or if it would just make a small impact in their market share.

chrmjenkins
Jul 25, 2012, 03:40 PM
This means people are still buying tablets with touch enabled windows :eek:

idkmybffjon
Jul 25, 2012, 03:41 PM
Shipped not sold.

rafaltrus
Jul 25, 2012, 03:47 PM
Dear Microsoft Surface,

Please be awesome! :eek: There has been no real competition for iPad thus far. I'm counting on ya!

Sincerely,
Rafcio

olowott
Jul 25, 2012, 03:48 PM
This is good but want to see what happens when the "surface" threat is released.:roll eyes:

rumors-reader
Jul 25, 2012, 03:51 PM
Shipped not sold.

No retail chain stockpiles millions of iPads. If they are being shipped, they are being sold.

kjs862
Jul 25, 2012, 03:51 PM
I wonder how these numbers will change if Apple releases the much anticipated iPad mini.

MacDav
Jul 25, 2012, 03:53 PM
It's pretty quiet here. I guess all the Apple haters haven't logged on yet.
I'm sure it won't be long now. ;)

mw360
Jul 25, 2012, 03:54 PM
Who's buying 7 million Android tablets? I've never even heard anyone mention one out loud, let alone buy one. Is it those 30 Indian things?

nagromme
Jul 25, 2012, 03:54 PM
Shipments?

I’m more interested in:

Actual Sales to Consumers
Minus
Returns/Exchanges
Multiplied by
Hours of actual usage

The iPad may have 2/3 of what goes out of factories and sits on shelves or in storage, but in people’s hands? Actual usage? There is no way 1/3 of tablets I see in the world are non-iPads, even if you count dedicate e-ink readers as tablets (and those are by far the most common non-iPad I see).

In fact I’ve only met three actual Android tablet owners. One had a cheapy small one but wished he could afford an iPad. One had a full size tablet but it broke down, so he showed us a slideshow of how awesome it was... using his iPad. One paid through the nose to get a Xoom from eBay that doesn’t do all that much and so is getting replaced soon... but at least they avoided that Apple logo they hate so much! Money well spent, surely.

entropys
Jul 25, 2012, 03:55 PM
I can't believe that I am the first to point out that Strategy Analytics described iPad sale as shipped when Tim Cook clearly described the 17 million units as sold.

Quite a difference, especially considering the variety of android tablets. I suspect that some of the vendors that have launched a new tablet have taken a bath, but are still included in android shipments. Possibly, like the smart phone market, the only ones making a crust are Apple, Samsung, and perhaps, Google. And I am unsure about Google, unless it counts iPad ad revenue.

edit: oops, some people commented while I was typing.

Kaibelf
Jul 25, 2012, 04:04 PM
Blah blah blah Apple only made 8 billion dollars this quarter, what a huge miss blah blah blah they are on the edge of ruin blah blah blah Tim Cook has destroyed the company blah blah blah Amazon will destroy the iPad blah blah blah 40%+ in profit per sale is irrelevant blah blah blah Jelly Bean. :rolleyes:

hot spare
Jul 25, 2012, 04:10 PM
Blah blah blah Apple only made 8 billion dollars this quarter, what a huge miss blah blah blah they are on the edge of ruin blah blah blah Tim Cook has destroyed the company blah blah blah Amazon will destroy the iPad blah blah blah 40%+ in profit per sale is irrelevant blah blah blah Jelly Bean. :rolleyes:

Are you the only one affected? or is the disease running through the whole family?

Orange Furball
Jul 25, 2012, 04:18 PM
I have an HP TouchPad.

We are the 0.3%.

But I have only seen iPads in public on Amtrak trains and in schools. I see more Kindle Fires, but I don't count them as android. If they came with Gapps it would fine.

ayala421
Jul 25, 2012, 04:20 PM
I have an HP TouchPad.

We are the 0.3%.

So does my coworker....but he has it hacked to run android. He should of just bought an iPad and saved the pain of having to reboot constantly and suffer tremendous lag.

gnasher729
Jul 25, 2012, 04:20 PM
Who's buying 7 million Android tablets? I've never even heard anyone mention one out loud, let alone buy one. Is it those 30 Indian things?

Kindle Fire and Nook. And of course some really cheap toys.

chrmjenkins
Jul 25, 2012, 04:21 PM
I have an HP TouchPad.

We are the 0.3%.

But I have only seen iPads in public on Amtrak trains and in schools. I see more Kindle Fires, but I don't count them as android. If they came with Gapps it would fine.

For the purposes of Apple regarding its competitors, I would consider a Fire an android tablet.

RawBert
Jul 25, 2012, 04:23 PM
Where are your "iPad killers™" now?

muwahahahaaaaaa...

JAT
Jul 25, 2012, 04:25 PM
Shipped not sold.

No retail chain stockpiles millions of iPads. If they are being shipped, they are being sold.

But it applies to the others, too. Probably skewing the "sold" numbers to even more of a gap.

pgiguere1
Jul 25, 2012, 04:26 PM
What are the 300,000 Microsoft tablets shipped last quarter?

Renzatic
Jul 25, 2012, 04:28 PM
What are the 300,000 Microsoft tablets shipped last quarter?

Probably old Windows 7 tablets like the EEE Slate and the Samsung Series 7 thingamabobber.

JAT
Jul 25, 2012, 04:29 PM
Shipments?

I’m more interested in:

Actual Sales to Consumers
Minus
Returns/Exchanges
Multiplied by
Hours of actual usage
You'll never get them. Need to come to terms with that. Big business.

In fact I’ve only met three actual Android tablet owners. One had a cheapy small one but wished he could afford an iPad. One had a full size tablet but it broke down, so he showed us a slideshow of how awesome it was... using his iPad. One paid through the nose to get a Xoom from eBay that doesn’t do all that much and so is getting replaced soon... but at least they avoided that Apple logo they hate so much! Money well spent, surely.
The Fire most likely counts as Android in this report. There are 3 Androids in my family! And 6 or more iPads. (extended family) Dead on these numbers, coincidentally.

pgiguere1
Jul 25, 2012, 04:32 PM
Probably old Windows 7 tablets like the EEE Slate and the Samsung Series 7 thingamabobber.

Wow, I've never heard of anybody buying those. 300,000 is quite a high number, I have a feeling the "sold" number would be significantly lower.

Gigaman
Jul 25, 2012, 04:36 PM
I honestly couldn't care less about shipments. However, as estimates, it's incredible how one line of tablets was able to suppress android growth in that respect, despite the big focus on specs and price of Amazon and google. Now image an iPad Mini (or not, whatever). Windows 8 needs to arrive already as it will shake up this market.

hexor
Jul 25, 2012, 04:39 PM
Kindle Fire and Nook. And of course some really cheap toys.

Amazon refuses to say how many they even ship.

Orange Furball
Jul 25, 2012, 04:45 PM
So does my coworker....but he has it hacked to run android. He should of just bought an iPad and saved the pain of having to reboot constantly and suffer tremendous lag.

I have android on mine too. Running AOKP. Really smooth actually... maybe he should try a new rom. I was laggy on CM9 but now I'm not, and I only paid $100 for mine

Don Kosak
Jul 25, 2012, 04:47 PM
I have an older Android tablet (not the Nexus 7) and it doesn't get much use. I am anxious to try out the Nexus 7 or one of the newer tablets to see if they've improved -- but I won't buy another one "blindly" without using it first.

I might buy the new iPad mini, because I do like the smaller form factor for reading books and for some games.

I think the current iPad has nailed the size though. I use mine constantly. It's large enough to get actual work done on -- and I think that's one of the reasons it's selling so well.

nick_elt
Jul 25, 2012, 04:52 PM
Im a long time iphone user but i just got my first ipad and am suprised how more useful it is than I thought it would be. Hardly use my macbook anymore. Reccomending it to all friends/family, i do believe phones are down to taste now that android is a bit more fluid but the ipad has no competitors.

Navdakilla
Jul 25, 2012, 04:54 PM
I know I am getting ahead of myself, but what do you guys think they will do for the 4rth gen Ipad?
They got the display, obv a small spec bump. But since it's been 2 years on the design (pretty much) think they will change the design?

Mr. Gates
Jul 25, 2012, 04:56 PM
I know the Microsoft surface is only vapor ware at this point but I can't help but think that a lot of people will be flocking to it.

Well, ...the Pro version at least.

Rogifan
Jul 25, 2012, 05:02 PM
I'm still waiting to find out the impact an iPad Mini would have on the lower end tablet market. I wonder if it would completely dominate the entire marketshare of the lower end tablets or if it would just make a small impact in their market share.
There was a post on mashable.com which is making the rounds on twitter saying Apple has to release an iPad mini and it has to be $199. The problem with that is Apple's in the business of making money off devices. Google and Amazon aren't. They can sell their tablet at cost (or even a loss) knowing they'll most likely make it up in other ways. I can't see Apple releasing a 7" tablet that's equal to (or better) than the Nexus 7 for $199. And if they do put something out that's $50 or $100 more will people bite? Are people buying the Nexus 7 because of the form factor or price (or a bit of both)? Or are their sales mostly to gadget geeks who have to have the latest and greatest products and are company/platform agnostic?

Sackvillenb
Jul 25, 2012, 05:04 PM
Now that's a very telling number... means 2 out of 3 tablets are iPads!

Rogifan
Jul 25, 2012, 05:05 PM
I can't believe that I am the first to point out that Strategy Analytics described iPad sale as shipped when Tim Cook clearly described the 17 million units as sold.Does Apple count tablets in stock at Best Buy, Target, Walmart, etc. as sold or shipped?

Technarchy
Jul 25, 2012, 05:05 PM
I know I am getting ahead of myself, but what do you guys think they will do for the 4rth gen Ipad?
They got the display, obv a small spec bump. But since it's been 2 years on the design (pretty much) think they will change the design?

What change are you looking for exactly?

inkswamp
Jul 25, 2012, 05:06 PM
I know the Microsoft surface is only vapor ware at this point but I can't help but think that a lot of people will be flocking to it.

I don't know about flocking. There will doubtless be buyers but I think a lot of Microsoft's woes in mobile come from this weird insistence on branding everything with the Windows name. What the guys at Microsoft don't seem to get is that the average user out there associates "Windows" with a myriad of headaches, crashes, viruses, lost files, petty annoyances, etc. I think seeing that brand name attached to a phone summons all sorts of crazy scenarios in the minds of consumers that they want nothing to do with.

Look at Microsoft's biggest success in the last decade--Xbox 360. It's basically a Windows PC optimized for games but not one mention of the Windows brand anywhere on it. I think MS needs to come to terms with the folly of putting Windows everywhere. It's just bad marketing.

shanmugam
Jul 25, 2012, 05:08 PM
release it then take the market share more. At $249 or $299, it will sell like hot cake.

Rogifan
Jul 25, 2012, 05:08 PM

Only to be disappointed when their fantasy of convergence/hybrid doesn't live up to reality. If the Pro version will have price points comparable to Ultrabooks why wouldn't you just buy an Ultrabook? Wouldn't be as portable, but I'm assuming you'd get more value for the money. MS never gave out much in the way of specs (esp battery life) for either the RT or Pro model.

G51989
Jul 25, 2012, 05:11 PM
Lets be totally honest.

The iPad makes up the majority of the Tablet market, because its the best tablet. By far, by leaps and bounds. And I HATE the iPad, but its still the best tablet out there by a huge margin, android tablets are meh, Windows 7 is iffy.

I honestly hope the Microsoft surface is as good as it looks to be, because I could see Surface/iPad making up the most of the market in a couple years time. The Surface imo is the only tablet comparble to the iPad

----------

I don't know about flocking. There will doubtless be buyers but I think a lot of Microsoft's woes in mobile come from this weird insistence on branding everything with the Windows name. What the guys at Microsoft don't seem to get is that the average user out there associates "Windows" with a myriad of headaches, crashes, viruses, lost files, petty annoyances, etc. I think seeing that brand name attached to a phone summons all sorts of crazy scenarios in the minds of consumers that they want nothing to do with.

Look at Microsoft's biggest success in the last decade--Xbox 360. It's basically a Windows PC optimized for games but not one mention of the Windows brand anywhere on it. I think MS needs to come to terms with the folly of putting Windows everywhere. It's just bad marketing.

So, Windows XP? And Windows 7? The most popular Operating systems ever to exist? Were failures?

dampfnudel
Just wait until the 7.85" iPad comes out. That number will go up to 88% when a lot of people including people on this forum who say they would never buy a smaller iPad buy one for the holidays.:D

inkswamp
There was a post on mashable.com which is making the rounds on twitter saying Apple has to release an iPad mini and it has to be $199.

Far be it from me to argue with the authority of someone on mashable ;) but I think Apple only has to come within striking distance of $199. They can leverage their brand image to do the rest. I'm betting a $249/$299 iPad Mini would decimate the competition. People will look at the selection and say "$50 more for an iPad instead of a low-budget knock-off?" Easy sell if you ask me.

JAT

Stop using silly definitions. It isn't vaporware unless it is late, or you really expect it to never exist. I'm hardly a MS fan, but vapor it isn't.

inkswamp
Jul 25, 2012, 05:17 PM
So, Windows XP? And Windows 7? The most popular Operating systems ever to exist? Were failures?

Of course not but do you know anyone who is excited about them? I don't. And be real, most of the copies sold are shipped on new machines. It's not like people are rushing out in large numbers to get the latest version of Windows.

----------

Stop using silly definitions. It isn't vaporware unless it is late, or you really expect it to never exist. I'm hardly a MS fan, but vapor it isn't.

If Surface isn't vaporware then why were there no actual hands-on demos then?

apolloa
Jul 25, 2012, 05:20 PM
Not surprising considering Apple has blocked others from sale, it's almost a monopoly on the market.

Meh I don't care, the Nexus 7 rocks. And i think the Galaxy Note 10.1 will be a good seller, if it isn't blocked by Apple.

----------

There was a post on mashable.com which is making the rounds on twitter saying Apple has to release an iPad mini and it has to be $199. The problem with that is Apple's in the business of making money off devices. Google and Amazon aren't. They can sell their tablet at cost (or even a loss) knowing they'll most likely make it up in other ways. I can't see Apple releasing a 7" tablet that's equal to (or better) than the Nexus 7 for $199. And if they do put something out that's $50 or $100 more will people bite? Are people buying the Nexus 7 because of the form factor or price (or a bit of both)? Or are their sales mostly to gadget geeks who have to have the latest and greatest products and are company/platform agnostic?

Sigh, the problem with a $199 iPad is really very simple, it's the ENTIRE iPod range, because Apple will either have to drop the entire iPod range, or accept seriously damaging it's iPod sales.
This plus the reasons you give are why Apple will never sell a 7" iPad for $199, thus they will price themselves out of that market, thus they are never going to launch a 7" iPad.
It's all rumours anyway, no factual proof exists of a 7" iPad.

Rogifan
Jul 25, 2012, 05:21 PM
Not surprising considering Apple has blocked others from sale, it's almost a monopoly on the market.

Meh I don't care, the Nexus 7 rocks. And i think the Galaxy Note 10.1 will be a good seller, if it isn't blocked by Apple.

Apple is not dominating the market because of blocked sales. It's not like Galaxy Tabs were flying off the shelves. If they were Samsung and the tech blogs would be crowing about it like they are with the Galaxy S III and Nexus 7.

Quite honestly I think the Nexus 7 impacts Kindle Fire and other Android tablets more than the iPad.

Rocketman
Jul 25, 2012, 05:26 PM
Only 68%? Really? I doubt it.

AppleScruff1
Jul 25, 2012, 05:27 PM
I don't know about flocking. There will doubtless be buyers but I think a lot of Microsoft's woes in mobile come from this weird insistence on branding everything with the Windows name. What the guys at Microsoft don't seem to get is that the average user out there associates "Windows" with a myriad of headaches, crashes, viruses, lost files, petty annoyances, etc.

That's odd, with over a billion users worldwide I highly doubt that the average Joe thinks that. More likely if will be, at last, a tablet with a familiar OS.

bawbac
Jul 25, 2012, 05:28 PM
How disappointing.
I would have expected the market share to be 90% since the iPad is so awesome.

IMO, I believe the market share for the iPad has peaked and will only gain a little more market share as it's clearly shown.
They may be selling millions but 90% of new sales are probably current owners upgrading.

The used ones are probably destroyed since they are obsolete.

*Posted on iPad

apolloa
Jul 25, 2012, 05:31 PM
Apple is not dominating the market because of blocked sales. It's not like Galaxy Tabs were flying off the shelves. If they were Samsung and the tech blogs would be crowing about it like they are with the Galaxy S III and Nexus 7.

Quite honestly I think the Nexus 7 impacts Kindle Fire and other Android tablets more than the iPad.

The Galaxy tabs were pretty popular, they still are, the Note 10.1 will be a good sales hit.
I'm pretty sure they would impact Apple's market share (of which it is blocking competitors to keep) if they were on sale in more places.

hobo.hopkins
Jul 25, 2012, 05:35 PM
The real news is that Microsoft has a measurable share!

Abazigal
Jul 25, 2012, 05:47 PM
Now that's a very telling number... means 2 out of 3 tablets are iPads!

Heh, its more like 9/10 over here. Sure someone isn't padding their sales figures?;)

Meandmunch
Jul 25, 2012, 05:47 PM

It would be iPod 2.0. As the iPod reached critical mass they began rolling out models like the Nano and the shuffle to gobble to lower end of the market. Effectively closing the door on the majority of competitors. Microsoft is about to get "Zuned" again because they were so late to the party.

Rennir
Jul 25, 2012, 05:49 PM

Do they stockpile millions of Android tablets or devices? Just curious, because people always claim that.

BC2009
Jul 25, 2012, 06:21 PM
We just visited my wife's grandpa who lives alone on his farm house (farm land sold to a corporation, but he owns the house still). My wife's grandma died in 2010 so he's kinda isolated out there on the farm with the exception of weekly trips to church. Only internet out there is Verizon CDMA 3G. He's had a Verizon USB stick for his PC at $40 per month for 250mb (Verizon was ripping him off). He never used the thing because he could not figure it out. His PC only got used for Solitaire.

While we were visiting him I told him and my mother-in-law that he should get an iPad 2 with WiFi+3G for $529. We cancelled his over-priced Verizon plan and ordered the iPad for him with next-day shipping. I spent some time and set him up on Facebook, iMessage, iCloud email and such (also restricted a few items like deleting apps to avoid accidents). I also set up some church-related apps so he could read the scriptures or the upcoming sunday school lesson. And made it so he and my mother-in-law could track each other's locations with "Find my Friends".

Now he is messaging the family pretty regularly. He uses the iPad at church. He is checking out pictures his niece, kids and grandkids post to Facebook. He is emailing as well and he has a constant 3G connection built into his iPad with no fussing around. What's more, his data plan only costs $20 per month for 1GB of data (4 times as much as his USB stick). So now he actually uses the data he pays for and he pays less for it.

He's an old guy who's not much on technology so I told him he had 14 days to return the iPad if he did not like it or could not figure it out. My mother-in-law went back to visit him yesterday but said there was no way he was going to return the iPad. I doubt we could pry it out of his hands. That is what is magical about the iPad and why it is selling so well -- it is powerful enough for experienced users but basic enough that anybody can use it.

Rogifan
Jul 25, 2012, 06:55 PM
The Galaxy tabs were pretty popular, they still are, the Note 10.1 will be a good sales hit.
I'm pretty sure they would impact Apple's market share (of which it is blocking competitors to keep) if they were on sale in more places.

Believe that if you want. But I still think more people are buying the Nexus 7 than any other Android tablet. I don't see Apple blocking it. Or Transformer Prime for that matter.

unlinked
Jul 25, 2012, 07:21 PM
Believe that if you want. But I still think more people are buying the Nexus 7 than any other Android tablet. I don't see Apple blocking it. Or Transformer Prime for that matter.

Only a matter of time and desire. The patents Apple used to get the One X banned apply to every Android device.

sunspot42
Jul 25, 2012, 07:36 PM
There is no "Tablet Market". There's an iPad market. They're dominating this space the same way they dominated the mp3 player market. Any new entrants (like Micro$loth) will simply compete with the other also-rans (Android, RIM, etc.) for dwindling marketshare at the very low end, where there's absolutely no profit and insufficient per-device volume to make up for the low margins with massive numbers.

Worse for Micro$loth, every iPad sold cannibalizes the sale of a Windows PC or laptop. And with the iPad making gains in the enterprise space, it's only a matter of time before what happened to them in phones happens to them in desktop and laptop PCs as well.

Ballmer really ran that company into the ground. Sure, you can argue that Steve Jobs was a genius, but Apple would never have been able to make the kind of inroads it has against Microsoft if Bill Gates were still in the driver's seat up in Redmond.

linux2mac
Jul 25, 2012, 07:41 PM
What the guys at Microsoft don't seem to get is that the average user out there associates "Windows" with a myriad of headaches, crashes, viruses, lost files, petty annoyances, etc. I think seeing that brand name attached to a phone summons all sorts of crazy scenarios in the minds of consumers that they want nothing to do with.

I am expecting the same Windows fail ("myriad of headaches, crashes, viruses, lost files, petty annoyances, etc.") with Windows 8, especially with the supposed synchronization between Windows Desktops and Windows mobile devices. It will NOT "just work." That's where Apple wins again now with Mountain Lion. "BOOM!"

zzLZHzz
Jul 25, 2012, 07:50 PM
Dear Microsoft Surface,

Please be awesome! :eek: There has been no real competition for iPad thus far. I'm counting on ya!

Sincerely,
Rafcio

only microsoft surface stand a chance against iPad but then again they are two different category of product.

iPad is mainly use for content consumption while surface allows creation as well.

AidenShaw
Jul 25, 2012, 07:54 PM
I am expecting the same Windows fail ("myriad of headaches, crashes, viruses, lost files, petty annoyances, etc.") with Windows 8, especially with the supposed synchronization between Windows Desktops and Windows mobile devices. It will NOT "just work." That's where Apple wins again now with Mountain Lion. "BOOM!"

You really should upgrade from Windows 3.1 sometime....

cotak
Jul 25, 2012, 08:30 PM
There are arguably better smart phones than the iPhone, but the iPad really still is in a class of its own here. I use mine for everything.

I hope not everything...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcIwXVKQjsQ

----------

So chipper about low cost ipad and "further solidify its leadership position" in the same breath.

Did it not occur to the people running macrumors that the majority of Apple's profit comes from high margins on it's device hardware and very little from anything else? Low cost and high margins don't typically mix even if you are Apple there's a limit at how much you can squeeze your suppliers.

What's worse. Entering this low cost segment is to compete against 2 other companies that sees their devices as a means to profit elsewhere. If your competitor is happy to make no money off their device sales and they aren't making crap anymore, where does it leave you who depends on the hardware revenue? In my mind if Tim Cook steers apple in that direction without revenue mitigation elsewhere, they should find themselves a new CEO.

gnasher729
Jul 25, 2012, 08:33 PM
Sigh, the problem with a $199 iPad is really very simple, it's the ENTIRE iPod range, because Apple will either have to drop the entire iPod range, or accept seriously damaging it's iPod sales.

Not that Apple will sell a $199 iPad, because Apple is in this business in order to make money. But don't worry about the iPod. I have an iPod, and when it breaks, I will buy a new one. Or use an iPhone instead. An iPad, whatever size, is _not_ going to replace my iPod.

Apple knows that iPod sales are going down, not because of iPads, but because the iPod is somehow pointless when you own an iPhone, and there are more and more people having iPhones. But why would Apple stop selling them? There is one small part at Foxconn making iPods. And if sales go further down, as they will, some of the people making them will switch to making iPhones, and the others will move into a smaller factory hall. As long as a few people buy them, there is absolutely no reason to stop making them. It's not as if there is any huge development cost going on.

Michael Scrip
Jul 25, 2012, 09:16 PM
So chipper about low cost ipad and "further solidify its leadership position" in the same breath.

Did it not occur to the people running macrumors that the majority of Apple's profit comes from high margins on it's device hardware and very little from anything else? Low cost and high margins don't typically mix even if you are Apple there's a limit at how much you can squeeze your suppliers.

What's worse. Entering this low cost segment is to compete against 2 other companies that sees their devices as a means to profit elsewhere. If your competitor is happy to make no money off their device sales and they aren't making crap anymore, where does it leave you who depends on the hardware revenue? In my mind if Tim Cook steers apple in that direction without revenue mitigation elsewhere, they should find themselves a new CEO.

I think Apple has already experimented with that... offering an iPod Shuffle at just $49 while expecting more people to buy the iPod Touch at $199. (and they do... Apple said the iPod Touch represents 50% of all iPod sales)

As for tablets... could Apple profit from a $249 iPad Mini? Probably... more than any other OEM. (Kindle Fire is sold basically at cost... not sure about any others...)

But getting SOME profit is better than getting ZERO profit from people who don't have $400 to spend on a tablet.

I don't think it's a bad idea to cover all price points.

MacNewsFix
Jul 25, 2012, 09:16 PM
I am expecting the same Windows fail ("myriad of headaches, crashes, viruses, lost files, petty annoyances, etc.") with Windows 8, especially with the supposed synchronization between Windows Desktops and Windows mobile devices.

What exactly about that statement made you think of Windows 3.1? Was it the myriad of headaches, crashes, viruses, lost files, or was it the petty annoyances?

I'll hang up and take my answer off the air, Don.

CFreymarc
Jul 25, 2012, 09:24 PM
Expected this with all the schools starting to adapt the iPad. With the launch of the Surface Tablet this number should drop a little bit by next year i would imagine.

Has anyone done a teardown on a Surface tablet with a BOM cost estimate? I swear they are loss leading on them.

organerito
Jul 25, 2012, 09:25 PM
What exactly about that statement made you think of Windows 3.1? Was it the myriad of headaches, crashes, viruses, lost files, or was it the petty annoyances?

Your post is just ridiculous. Windows 7 is very solid. Most of us don't have any of the problems your are talking about.

You should try Windows 7 and you'll see how ignorant you are.

EbookReader
Jul 25, 2012, 09:40 PM
My prediction for the prices of the soon to be announced Kindle Fire 2

Kindle Fire 2 (7" version): $199
Kindle Fire 2 (10" version): $299

Amazon: razor thin profit margin
Apple: high profit margin

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443295404577547070376968192.html?mod=googlenews_wsj
Apple-Amazon War Heats Up
Tech Giants Scramble to Take Rival Ground in Phones, Tablets and Apps

Apple biggest competitor in the near future might just be Amazon and not Samsung or Microsoft or Google

Look at the specs for the Nexus 7 (Kindle Fire 2 will have similar specs in my opinion)

1280x800 HD display (216 ppi)
1 GB RAM
Quad-core Tegra 3 processor

linux2mac
Jul 25, 2012, 10:04 PM

Your post is just ridiculous. Windows 7 is very solid. Most of us don't have any of the problems your are talking about.

You should try Windows 7 and you'll see how ignorant you are.

Who is "ignorant" again? :confused:

Valve's Gabe Newell: Windows 8 a 'catastrophe,'
http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/25/3186615/valve-gabe-newell-gaming-interface-windows-8-interview

"I think Windows 8 is a catastrophe for everyone in the PC space."

Why am I not surprised?

EbookReader
Jul 25, 2012, 10:08 PM
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/07/23/us-amazon-mobile-idUSBRE86M0EY20120723

(Reuters) - Amazon.com Inc (AMZN.O) plans to expand its mobile platform and broaden its offering of devices beyond e-readers and the Kindle Fire tablet, analysts, developers and retail partners said ahead of results next week from the world's largest Internet retailer.

Amazon is to introduce up to five or six tablet SKUs, or stock-keeping units, according Demos Parneros, president of U.S. Retail for Staples Inc (SPLS.O), which sells the Fire.

The tablets will be different sizes, including a 10-inch model, Parneros said. Amazon spokespeople declined to comment on the company's plans.

It's 99.99% confirmed now that Amazon will have a 10" Kindle Fire. The president of Staples Inc would have advance knowledge of such a product since Staples sell Amazon e-readers and tablet.

If the Kindle Fire 7" is priced at $199, I don't see why Amazon can't price the 10" version at $299.

gatortpk
Jul 25, 2012, 10:49 PM
Shipped not sold.

Exactly, Apple's Tablet Market Share could well be over 70% if you count the tablets actually in the hands of the consumers. Apple keeps about 4-6 week supply of iPads flowing, and they always get sold.

Other tablets get shipped, but not all are sold, period.

Fruit Cake
Jul 25, 2012, 11:39 PM
I've got a nexus 7 and iPad, I really don't know how people can call these iPad killers, they're in their own respective markets. The n7 is virtually half the screen real estate of the iPad and really feels more like a giant phone then a tablet, despite no cellular capabilities. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice device, but I wouldn't consider replacing a laptop with an n7, iPad more likely, but not the n7, it's too darn small. What's a little disconcerting (and kinda cool at the same time) is the n7 is packing 4x A9cores @ 1.3Ghz cs new iPad 2x 1Ghz cores... Of course when it comes to 3D rendering the iPad destroys it, but the iPad has a pretty screen to drive, the N7 feels a bit top heavy with not much to push on the android platform, asides from it running its apps in the less efficient dalvik VM instead of native C code.

AidenShaw
Jul 25, 2012, 11:57 PM
Exactly, Apple's Tablet Market Share could well be over 70% if you count the tablets actually in the hands of the consumers. Apple keeps about 4-6 week supply of iPads flowing, and they always get sold.

Links to support that wild assertion?

gatortpk
Jul 25, 2012, 11:59 PM
The number iPads may be 68% of tablets Shipped, but the number of iPads in the hands of the consumers is very likely over 70%.

It's likely that over 90% of the actual usage of data (or minutes) on tablets are with iPads. This means that even though there may be close to 30% of non-iPads in consumers hands, but over 90% over tablet usage is by iPads! Obviously, this would indicate that iPads are more useful and/or more desirable to use.

gatortpk
Jul 26, 2012, 12:43 AM
Links to support that wild assertion?

I didn't know it was a "wild assertion"! I've read about this issue many times in the past 1.5 years. I did a quick Google search "shipped vs sold", and didn't use any keywords like "tablets", "iPad", "Apple", "Android", etc. And an overwhelming number of links were exactly about the difference between Apple vs Android devices shipped vs sold. (Note, my prior comment made no mention of Android tablets)

I do understand that many of the articles are from last year, and the problem of overstocked non-iPad tablets are less of an issue today as manufactures have a better idea of what will sell.

With another record sales of iPads sold this quarter, it appears that the shipped vs sold iPad numbers are likely the same. When there is a good flow of selling product, the number of shipped and sold product stays about the same, if not, adjustments in the flow are easily modified.

I only skimmed over the following articles, some refer to phones rather than tablets, but they appear to support my comment, and these are just a few:

The Difference Between "Shipped" and "Sold" (http://www.idownloadblog.com/2011/10/28/shipped-vs-sold/)

Shipping vs. selling: Would-be iPad killers to sell dirt cheap just to "digest inventory overstock" (http://9to5mac.com/2011/08/16/shipping-vs-selling-would-be-ipad-killers-to-sell-dirt-cheap-just-to-digest-inventory-overstock/)

This one is recent (yesterday):
Shipped vs. sold and third-party estimates vs. actual unit sales (http://macdailynews.com/2011/10/28/shipped-vs-sold-and-third-party-estimates-vs-actual-unit-sales/)

When I add "tablets" to the google search "shipped vs sold tablets", (again, no mention of Apple, Android, etc in the search), the first 3 links are (no bias, these are the first 3 links):

1 in 4 tablets from last quarter run on Android? (http://gigaom.com/mobile/1-in-4-tablets-from-last-quarter-run-on-android-hmmm/)

(This one actually states: "Apple has the same shipping numbers as sales numbers")
Marketshare of Android Tablets Shipped vs iPads Sold (http://www.zagg.com/community/blog/marketshare-of-android-tablets-shipped-vs-ipads-sold/)

Frequently Asked Q: Tablets - Shipped Versus Sold (http://q-ontech.blogspot.com/2012/03/tablets-shipped-versus-sold.html)

Fattytail
Jul 26, 2012, 01:14 AM
The number iPads may be 68% of tablets Shipped, but the number of iPads in the hands of the consumers is very likely over 70%.

It's likely that over 90% of the actual usage of data (or minutes) on tablets are with iPads. This means that even though there may be close to 30% of non-iPads in consumers hands, but over 90% over tablet usage is by iPads! Obviously, this would indicate that iPads are more useful and/or more desirable to use.

This might very well be true. I recall seeing web usage statistics on one of the news articles on here. Over 90% (or some astronomically high percentage) of tablet usage was from the iPad.

inkswamp
Jul 26, 2012, 01:52 AM
That's odd, with over a billion users worldwide I highly doubt that the average Joe thinks that. More likely if will be, at last, a tablet with a familiar OS.

Familiar? Windows 8 is a massive departure from earlier versions of Windows. I don't think the term familiar fits.

That issue aside, Windows is already the de facto desktop operating system. Arguing whether the Windows brand does any damage to the Windows OS is a discussion that is just going to go around in circles. It won that market. What I'm trying to say is that a lot of people associate that brand name with hassles, viruses, lost files, weird problems, dragging their PC to Geek Squad, etc. I think Microsoft would see more success if they ditched the incessant Windows branding on their mobile products. They have good products that are being dragged down by a brand that is bogged down in the minds of consumers with endless headaches.

Again, they avoided the Windows branding with XBox 360 and it's been a huge success. Windows Phone 7? Not so much. I predict Window 8 will get the same reception.

Sensation
Jul 26, 2012, 02:05 AM
Good to see Android starting to dominate the tablets, I imagine with the sellout Nexus 7 included everything will change again.

gatortpk
Jul 26, 2012, 02:28 AM
Good to see Android starting to dominate the tablets, I imagine with the sellout Nexus 7 included everything will change again.

The Nexus 7 at is great price may affect the market share perhaps slightly. However, the iPad mini may again affect the market share again in Apple's favor. Especially if the iPad mini sells at only $50-$100 more. Many consumers may think why bother with an Android tablet when they can get an iPad for just a few dollars more.

However, I would like to see good competition. If the iPad's market share starts to drop a bit, Apple will only work that much harder to innovate and make an already great tablet that much better, and perhaps even lower the price a bit (though lowering the price isn't Apple's style, especially since the iPad is already a great value for a product that only get's better with time with free OS updates often not available with competitors).

JoEw
Jul 26, 2012, 03:07 AM

----------

This plus the reasons you give are why Apple will never sell a 7" iPad for $199, thus they will price themselves out of that market, thus they are never going to launch a 7" iPad.
It's all rumours anyway, no factual proof exists of a 7" iPad.

I doubt apple banning sales has had enough impact, seeing as these sales ban are only a few weeks old (united states anyway) and it's not hard to get a galaxy tablet if you want one (clearly not many do by the numbers).

The iPod market is already declining and it's because smartphones are around.

The iPad "mini" would not canabilize iPod sales the iPhone is already doing that. Also NO company is making a profit of 200 dollar tablets imao it's not apples strategy.

the8thark
Jul 26, 2012, 04:36 AM
Shipments do not equal end user sales. And that's the clincher.

Rogifan
Jul 26, 2012, 06:00 AM
If iPad market share drops thats bad because it means Apple is slipping. And we'd get the Apple is doomed without Steve comments. If iPad market share is high then that's bad because it means there isn't anyone challenging them to make the iPad even better. It's kind of like heads I win tails you lose.

Fruit Cake
Jul 26, 2012, 06:33 AM
I think as a consumers we want google and android to do better and grab bigger slice, only a shareholder of apple would want iPad to dominate w/o competition.

iapplelove
Jul 26, 2012, 07:07 AM
I still don't get why anyone would even concider buying another tablet at this point if they were in the market for one. Forget that it says apple on the back for a second but it really is the best looking most user friendly and supports by far the greatest amount of apps. That alone is reason to buy imo

100Years
Jul 26, 2012, 07:22 AM
I still don't get why anyone would even concider buying another tablet at this point if they were in the market for one.
Maybe some people don't care for being locked down into the Apple "ecosystem"?

iapplelove
Jul 26, 2012, 07:41 AM
Maybe some people don't care for being locked down into the Apple "ecosystem"?

That literally would be the only reason why.

And owning an iPad doesn't nessasary mean you would be "locked" into apples ecosystem

kdarling
Jul 26, 2012, 08:05 AM
And an overwhelming number of links were exactly about the difference between Apple vs Android devices shipped vs sold. (snip)

Well, it's definitely easy to get led astray these days on the web, where many sites are just echo chambers repeating the same ideas, often mistaken.

For example, their base assumptions about "shipped vs sold" are incorrect, as Apple also includes units in the process of being shipped to stores in their "sold" numbers... because the stores have promised to pay for them. (Returns are not subtracted from that number, but accounted for differently.)

So Apple's "sold" number is not the number of actual end buyers, although when demand is high, it's probably pretty close.

I do understand that many of the articles are from last year, and the problem of overstocked non-iPad tablets are less of an issue today as manufactures have a better idea of what will sell.

That's what most of us think, too. Stores are smarter now.

alent1234
Jul 26, 2012, 08:09 AM
I still don't get why anyone would even concider buying another tablet at this point if they were in the market for one. Forget that it says apple on the back for a second but it really is the best looking most user friendly and supports by far the greatest amount of apps. That alone is reason to buy imo

i have an ipad 2 and thought about a kindle fire. KF has "free" books and amazon instant video if you're a prime member

i ended up reading so much with my ipad 2 and rarely using a fraction of the CPU/GPU so i don't need anything high end for another tablet

utdbear0812
Jul 26, 2012, 08:38 AM
This means people are still buying tablets with touch enabled windows :eek:

Medical industry. Many doctors still use laptops that fold up into tablets for use in their offices.

aristotle
Jul 26, 2012, 10:10 AM
For all intents and purposes, Apple's "sold" number is actually the number of units sold to the consumer. Very few units are returned after being activated and Apple has the total number of "new" activations in their database and virtually everyone activates their iPad shortly after purchase if they intend on keeping it.

Each device has a unique ID and so it would be trivial for Apple count the number of unique activations and not double count a returned unit and refurb re-activation.

AppleScruff1
Jul 26, 2012, 10:14 AM
Familiar? Windows 8 is a massive departure from earlier versions of Windows. I don't think the term familiar fits.

That issue aside, Windows is already the de facto desktop operating system. Arguing whether the Windows brand does any damage to the Windows OS is a discussion that is just going to go around in circles. It won that market. What I'm trying to say is that a lot of people associate that brand name with hassles, viruses, lost files, weird problems, dragging their PC to Geek Squad, etc. I think Microsoft would see more success if they ditched the incessant Windows branding on their mobile products. They have good products that are being dragged down by a brand that is bogged down in the minds of consumers with endless headaches.

Again, they avoided the Windows branding with XBox 360 and it's been a huge success. Windows Phone 7? Not so much. I predict Window 8 will get the same reception.

Yea, the Windows name is really dragging them down. Consumers hate Windows, especially Windows 7. Or maybe you mean this is in the mindset of the typical Mac user?

NewAnger
Jul 26, 2012, 10:30 AM
I think as a consumers we want google and android to do better and grab bigger slice, only a shareholder of apple would want iPad to dominate w/o competition.

I really don't care how the others do as a consumer. I don't own an iPad or any other "tablet" but if I did want one, it would be an iPad.

kdarling
Jul 26, 2012, 10:54 AM
Each device has a unique ID and so it would be trivial for Apple count the number of unique activations and not double count a returned unit and refurb re-activation.

Good idea, but it's not how they publicly tally sales. Their method is laid out in their official SEC documents. They count both direct item sales in their stores and items the moment they're shipped to retailers.

OTOH, carriers seem encouraged by Apple to announce total activations instead of sales. This gives numbers that include re-activations of used units that have been sold or handed down. That makes sense for carriers, but often people mistakenly read that as new unit sales.

Apple is a pro at publicity, so it's all in knowing what the numbers mean.

throys
Jul 26, 2012, 11:28 AM
The iPad is truly a genius product and will only get better. Most schools here in UK is adopting the ipad in schools where I live and this alone with other companies invested in it will remain the iPad for now and years to come a true revolution in tablet era.

JAT
Jul 26, 2012, 11:54 AM
If Surface isn't vaporware then why were there no actual hands-on demos then?
Surface release date is "fall", which is pretty far off yet. Surface Pro is "90 days after" that. If we still know nothing on, let's say, Oct 25, call it vapor. Also, MS likes to announce such things well in advance. Opposite of Apple, you could say.
I was getting a Win95 vibe.

I thought there was some magic, esoteric command to revert to "familiar".

MacNewsFix
Jul 26, 2012, 12:24 PM
what exactly about that statement made you think of windows 3.1? Was it the myriad of headaches, crashes, viruses, lost files, or was it the petty annoyances?

I'll hang up and take my answer off the air, don.

your post is just ridiculous. Windows 7 is very solid. Most of us don't have any of the problems your are talking about.

You should try windows 7 and you'll see how ignorant you are.

There may be a bug in Windows 7 that makes a 3.1 (THREE POINT ONE) look like a 7 (SEVEN). You may want to download a fresh copy of your display driver from the manufacturer. Otherwise, I suggest adjusting the sharpness setting. Or just get a Mac.

bawbac
Jul 26, 2012, 02:13 PM

What's odd is if you hang around the the apple store long enough, you'll find that people are playing with the iPad but you never see anyone buy one.

Also, Best Buy, Frys, Target & Walmart always have ample stock or maybe the same stock.

----------

Most schools here in UK is adopting the ipad in schools where I live and this alone with other companies invested in it will remain the iPad for now and years to come a true revolution in tablet era.
Any articles or facts to back up your claims?

SurferMan
Jul 26, 2012, 03:10 PM
There are arguably better smart phones than the iPhone, but the iPad really still is in a class of its own here. I use mine for everything.I agree, I greatly prefer my GSII over my iPhones, but with tablets I still feel Apple has the edge. Though now with ICS the newer Android tabs will be great finally, that 7" Nexus is sweet with Jelly Bean but they gimped it on memory and no microSD expansion.

It'll be interesting to see what everyones market share is in a year or two with the Surface and other tablets, iPad will still have the largest share though IMO for the foreseeable future.

sakau2007
Jul 26, 2012, 03:12 PM
Any articles or facts to back up your claims?

Just google UK Schools iPad

Quite a few stories about it pop up.

Renzatic
Jul 26, 2012, 03:28 PM
There may be a bug in Windows 7 that makes a 3.1 (THREE POINT ONE) look like a 7 (SEVEN). You may want to download a fresh copy of your display driver from the manufacturer. Otherwise, I suggest adjusting the sharpness setting. Or just get a Mac.

Okay. Set down for a second. I'll explain this to you.

See, most of the complaints you hear from the chucklehead contingent involving Windows haven't been true for a decade or more. Constant BSODs for no apparent reason? Pretty much ended with WinME. DLL hell? I don't think that's happened since Win95. Viruses? Yeah, there's a ton out there, but 99% of them are caught because some people are a little too trusting, and would be as much of a problem on OSX if market shares were reversed.

It's like if I came in here and started griping about how much Apple sucks because OS9 was kind of crappy. Of course you'd correct me. But what if I kept on and on about it. "it doesn't have preemptive multitasking, how can you call it a modern OS if it doesn't have that most basic of features", or "it just has one button on the mouse, and it crashes all the time". You'd think I was an idiot, wouldn't you?

...you probably would.

smoledman
Jul 26, 2012, 03:57 PM
What I don't understand is why Apple fans think it's ok to have one product?

SurferMan
Jul 26, 2012, 03:59 PM
Okay. Set down for a second. I'll explain this to you.

See, most of the complaints you hear from the chucklehead contingent involving Windows haven't been true for a decade or more. Constant BSODs for no apparent reason? Pretty much ended with WinME. DLL hell? I don't think that's happened since Win95. Viruses? Yeah, there's a ton out there, but 99% of them are caught because some people are a little too trusting, and would be as much of a problem on OSX if market shares were reversed.

It's like if I came in here and started griping about how much Apple sucks because OS9 was kind of crappy. Of course you'd correct me. But what if I kept on and on about it. "it doesn't have preemptive multitasking, how can you call it a modern OS if it doesn't have that most basic of features", or "it just has one button on the mouse, and it crashes all the time". You'd think I was an idiot, wouldn't you?

...you probably would.I run Win7 in a VM and have a killer Win7 setup at home for work/home theater etc. Office as well. And go figure, have had more issues with OS/X than Windows lol.

inkswamp
Jul 26, 2012, 08:43 PM
Surface release date is "fall", which is pretty far off yet. Surface Pro is "90 days after" that. If we still know nothing on, let's say, Oct 25, call it vapor. Also, MS likes to announce such things well in advance. Opposite of Apple, you could say.

My two-word response to this: Microsoft Courier.

JAT
Jul 27, 2012, 01:04 AM
My two-word response to this: Microsoft Courier.

:rolleyes: I assure you, if it goes 2 years, I'll also use "vapor". And enjoy mocking MS.

smoledman
Jul 27, 2012, 01:08 AM
How is the Surface vaporware when Microsoft demonstrated working units? Sure it might be FUD prototypes that the never intend to mass produce, but this is 2012 and they can't get away with that anymore.

alexN350z
Jul 27, 2012, 01:26 AM
3Q 2012 market share figures will be very different with smaller tablets

Ryan John
Jul 27, 2012, 09:32 AM

This is the kind of attitude the gives Apple a bad name. Your mocking of people for not jumping on the Apple bandwagon is really quite childish. I come to the forum as an iMac user, but tablet and phone wise I'm very much in favour of the Android alternatives.

I use a Xoom with a nightly Jellybean mod as the OS, and prior to that I had the original iPad. I've yet to find a single thing I can't do on my Xoom that I could do on my iPad. Yet here you are mocking something you most likely know absolutely nothing about. It might also educate you to know that I didn't pay 30 for it on the backstreet's of Delhi, as your condescending post would imply, but decent money just like everybody else here shells out for their iPads.

Apple snobbery used to be good for the brand, it made them feel exclusive, but now that iOS devices are so common, this kind of attitude just doesn't wash. Nobody goes, wow look at that guy, he's got an iPhone. These days it's, oh you've got an iPhone too. Similarly as more alternatives become available in the tablet marketplace the same thing will happen with the iPad, regardless of how much you want to mock.

alent1234
Jul 27, 2012, 11:29 AM
This is the kind of attitude the gives Apple a bad name. Your mocking of people for not jumping on the Apple bandwagon is really quite childish. I come to the forum as an iMac user, but tablet and phone wise I'm very much in favour of the Android alternatives.

I use a Xoom with a nightly Jellybean mod as the OS, and prior to that I had the original iPad. I've yet to find a single thing I can't do on my Xoom that I could do on my iPad. Yet here you are mocking something you most likely know absolutely nothing about. It might also educate you to know that I didn't pay 30 for it on the backstreet's of Delhi, as your condescending post would imply, but decent money just like everybody else here shells out for their iPads.

Apple snobbery used to be good for the brand, it made them feel exclusive, but now that iOS devices are so common, this kind of attitude just doesn't wash. Nobody goes, wow look at that guy, he's got an iPhone. These days it's, oh you've got an iPhone too. Similarly as more alternatives become available in the tablet marketplace the same thing will happen with the iPad, regardless of how much you want to mock.

some of us have better things to do than flash firmware nightly

Ryan John
Jul 27, 2012, 12:51 PM
some of us have better things to do than flash firmware nightly

That's a choice not a requirement as you know doubt are aware.