Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

On the heels of Apple's earnings release yesterday in which the company announced a record 17 million iPads sold during the second calendar quarter of 2012, research firm Strategy Analytics has published its estimates of the total global tablet market for the quarter. According to the report, Apple captured 68.3% of the market, up from 62% in the year-ago quarter and the company's highest share in nearly two years.
Apple shipped a robust 17.0 million iPads worldwide and maintained its strong market leadership with 68 percent share during the second quarter of 2012. Apple continued to shrug off the much-hyped threat from Android and the iPad's global tablet share is at its highest level since Q3 2010. [...]

Despite high expectations for companies like Amazon, Samsung, Acer and Asus, the Android community has yet to make a serious dent in Apple's dominance of the tablet market. Unspectacular hardware designs, limited uptake of cellular models and a modest number of tablet-optimized services have been among some of the main reasons for Android's mixed performance so far.
strategy_analytics_tablets_2q12.jpg

Google's Android platform actually kept pace with the overall market's 66.8% growth, enabling it to hold steady with 29.3% of the market. Apple's 83% growth instead came at the expense of smaller players such as Microsoft, which saw its share of the market fall from 4% to 1.2% as the company has yet to roll it out its major tablet effort with Windows 8.

Apple's continued strength in the tablet market comes even though a number of observers have predicted an erosion of its dominant position amid increasing numbers of low-cost Android tablets. But with Apple riding high on the launch of the new third-generation iPad just prior to the start of the second quarter, Apple is improving its position in the market. With rumors of an "iPad mini" coming later this year, Apple could further solidify its leadership position by competing more closely on price with some of the recent high-profile Android entrants such as Amazon's Kindle Fire and Google's just-introduced Nexus 7.

Article Link: iPad's Share of Tablet Market Hits 68% in 2Q 2012

wickerman1893

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
Expected this with all the schools starting to adapt the iPad. With the launch of the Surface Tablet this number should drop a little bit by next year i would imagine.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
I'm still waiting to find out the impact an iPad Mini would have on the lower end tablet market. I wonder if it would completely dominate the entire marketshare of the lower end tablets or if it would just make a small impact in their market share.

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
I wonder how these numbers will change if Apple releases the much anticipated iPad mini.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
Hmmm

It's pretty quiet here. I guess all the Apple haters haven't logged on yet.
I'm sure it won't be long now. ;)

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Who's buying 7 million Android tablets? I've never even heard anyone mention one out loud, let alone buy one. Is it those £30 Indian things?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Shipments?

I’m more interested in:

Actual Sales to Consumers
Minus
Returns/Exchanges
Multiplied by
Hours of actual usage

The iPad may have 2/3 of what goes out of factories and sits on shelves or in storage, but in people’s hands? Actual usage? There is no way 1/3 of tablets I see in the world are non-iPads, even if you count dedicate e-ink readers as tablets (and those are by far the most common non-iPad I see).

In fact I’ve only met three actual Android tablet owners. One had a cheapy small one but wished he could afford an iPad. One had a full size tablet but it broke down, so he showed us a slideshow of how awesome it was... using his iPad. One paid through the nose to get a Xoom from eBay that doesn’t do all that much and so is getting replaced soon... but at least they avoided that Apple logo they hate so much! Money well spent, surely.

entropys

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
I can't believe that I am the first to point out that Strategy Analytics described iPad sale as shipped when Tim Cook clearly described the 17 million units as sold.

Quite a difference, especially considering the variety of android tablets. I suspect that some of the vendors that have launched a new tablet have taken a bath, but are still included in android shipments. Possibly, like the smart phone market, the only ones making a crust are Apple, Samsung, and perhaps, Google. And I am unsure about Google, unless it counts iPad ad revenue.

edit: oops, some people commented while I was typing.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
Blah blah blah Apple only made 8 billion dollars this quarter, what a huge miss blah blah blah they are on the edge of ruin blah blah blah Tim Cook has destroyed the company blah blah blah Amazon will destroy the iPad blah blah blah 40%+ in profit per sale is irrelevant blah blah blah Jelly Bean. :rolleyes:

hot spare

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2011
Blah blah blah Apple only made 8 billion dollars this quarter, what a huge miss blah blah blah they are on the edge of ruin blah blah blah Tim Cook has destroyed the company blah blah blah Amazon will destroy the iPad blah blah blah 40%+ in profit per sale is irrelevant blah blah blah Jelly Bean. :rolleyes:

Are you the only one affected? or is the disease running through the whole family?

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
I have an HP TouchPad.

We are the 0.3%.

But I have only seen iPads in public on Amtrak trains and in schools. I see more Kindle Fires, but I don't count them as android. If they came with Gapps it would fine.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Who's buying 7 million Android tablets? I've never even heard anyone mention one out loud, let alone buy one. Is it those £30 Indian things?

Kindle Fire and Nook. And of course some really cheap toys.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
I have an HP TouchPad.

We are the 0.3%.

But I have only seen iPads in public on Amtrak trains and in schools. I see more Kindle Fires, but I don't count them as android. If they came with Gapps it would fine.

For the purposes of Apple regarding its competitors, I would consider a Fire an android tablet.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Shipments?

I’m more interested in:

Actual Sales to Consumers
Minus
Returns/Exchanges
Multiplied by
Hours of actual usage
You'll never get them. Need to come to terms with that. Big business.

In fact I’ve only met three actual Android tablet owners. One had a cheapy small one but wished he could afford an iPad. One had a full size tablet but it broke down, so he showed us a slideshow of how awesome it was... using his iPad. One paid through the nose to get a Xoom from eBay that doesn’t do all that much and so is getting replaced soon... but at least they avoided that Apple logo they hate so much! Money well spent, surely.
The Fire most likely counts as Android in this report. There are 3 Androids in my family! And 6 or more iPads. (extended family) Dead on these numbers, coincidentally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.