PDA

View Full Version : [phones] Switching back from S3...

Honza
Jul 25, 2012, 03:47 PM
I was really itching to try Android and having a hard time waiting until the fall, so I bought a Galaxy S3 a week ago. Now that the honeymoon has worn off, I find myself getting frustrated with some things and missing the iPhone. I'm not against Android, in fact, I love some aspects of it. But both sides represent a trade off, and since I'm slightly torn between the two, I think the iPhone might be better. Android users, feel free to add any suggestions, as I am new to the system and perhaps don't understand it fully.

1. A general gripe - I accept a certain amount of tinkering with my phone, and I certainly enjoy it more than the average person. But beyond a certain level of tinkering I just get frustrated and expect things to work. That's what I miss most about the iPhone. For example, I have my music uploaded to google, so I thought I'd just use the Google Play app. First, this doesn't work with voice control. Second, it had glitches like repeating songs over and over in a playlist in no order (repeat wasn't on; shuffle was). Or I was in a random playlist, and it hit a Beach Boys song, and then would only play Beach Boys after that. So then I have to look for a third party music player. This situation has happened over and over with different things. I need 3rd party apps on iOS for a few things, but I feel like the apps are more polished and work better.

2. Notifications - After hearing how much better Android notifications are, I was surprised that I hate this the most out of everything. Notifications do not show up in the lockscreen unless I manually pull down the notifications screen, which obviously doesn't work if there's a security lock on the phone. The screen also doesn't light up when I get a notification. I know there's an LED, but if I have 50 apps with notifications, one blinking light isn't a good solution to help me know what's going on (Morse code anyone?). So I now have to turn the phone on and swipe down to find out the notification instead of just looking at the phone. Also, I want to be able to know instantly what app is notifying me, AND what it is saying (e.g. the first line of the email and sender, sms message, etc.). Also, I want to be able to control what apps give me notifications. All of this was so nicely done on the iPhone.

3. Text Selection - I loved how iOS did this. Double tap on a word to select it, double tap and drag to select a larger selection. Option for copy, paste, etc. comes right up. On android I am unable to select a larger selection without just first selecting a word and then dragging the handles. On iOS it was just one gesture to do that. I'm sure android has this too. Also, I used the touch + hold for the magnifying glass to place the cursor all the time on iOS, and I don't know how to get similar functionality on android. I can get that blue handle and drag it around (after several tries), but it just seems less elegant.

4. Keyboards - I don't care if you can change your keyboard out, I still hate typing on the ones I've tried. Maybe I just need to get used to it.

5. Complexity - I thought I would like having a file system and things like that, but it is a marginal benefit and in some cases makes things worse. Much harder, for example, to add a kindle book from dropbox to the kindle app. I guess I underestimated the usefulness of the "open in..." on iOS.

6. Miscellaneous - Some of the photos I take will be out of order in the camera roll. Not having them in chronological order bugs me. I spent 20 minutes trying different apps to get a scrolling wallpaper from a nice panoramic photo I took, and was unsuccessful (which is a GS3 issue I think). I miss the silent switch on the exterior of the iPhone, and knowing that when you have that switch flipped, no sounds will come out of the phone (unless you play media directly). I was in "silent" mode on Android and pulled up a game thinking that it would be muted but it was not (got me in trouble :). While battery life is better now than when I first got it, the GSii3 still has under 15% at the end of a normal day. Sometimes I run out. My iPhone 4 always has more than 50% at the end of a day (yeah yeah it doesn't have a big screen, but I don't care. If you sell a phone, make sure it lasts). Temple run is sometimes skippy. WTH, I get a brand new dual core phone and it can't handle Temple Run? I want the graphics to blow my mind if it's a two year newer phone. I also like the Mail app on iOS. I like how gmail works on android, but again, I need another app if I want exchange accounts and such. Last but not least, there are a few apps that aren't available on android, like Cyclemeter and Carcassonne.

Now for the things I like about android:

Nice screen - I definitely wish Apple would put out at least a 4.3 incher. Browsing is nice. Doesn't feel awkward, and fits nicely in the pocket.
Widgets - marginally useful. I could live without them, but it's fairly nice.
Chrome as default browser - I wish I could change the default on iOS. Not a dealbreaker though.

Honza
Jul 25, 2012, 06:24 PM
Haha I loved this. At least fanboys are fanboys, apple or android. Clearly I was unbiased as I tried the GS3 and wanted to like it despite its flaws (as a side note, I have to rip my old iphone out of my wife's hands and she has to go back to a flip phone and is not happy. If that isn't incentive enough to keep the GS3 I don't know what is). As for temple run, my friend who is not a phone geek (and who has an iP4) was the one who noticed the lagging and commented on it. Sure enough I played for myself and it wasn't as smooth as I would like. Certainly not as smooth as my new ipad playing Temple Run. If "freedom" means constantly messing with your phone then take it. I'll be out on a bike ride. Again, android has some great qualities, but this was my observation.

Sensamic
Jul 25, 2012, 07:07 PM
I think the best thing is to have both OS. Android is essential to me to be able to do certain stuff Apple won't allow.

For example, I don't want to buy a laptop (don't need it and it's too expensive) ever again after trying tablets, but I do need some of that functionality, and iOS doesn't give it to me and Android does.

When at home, I can use Android to download torrents or upload files to my NAS that iOS doesn't allow. I can play emulators and use a file system. It's more of a true OS than iOS.

Vegastouch
Jul 25, 2012, 08:32 PM
Well it has only been a week after years with an iPhone. I liked that exterior silent switch as well but i got over it and you can just hold in the power button for a sec or two and the option to turn the sound on or off is right there if you dont want to pull down the window.

The silent button on my iPhone broke and i had to replace the whole back casing to fix it.

I would make more comments but the fact that you didnt like ANY other keyboards on Android (seriously, you didnt like Swiftkey or Swype/SlideIt?) just tells me you are so deep into iOS that your just not used to Android and arent willing to give it a good honest try. A week is a decent try but even i played with my iPhone on and off for a few weeks til i finally turned it off for good and i only used it for two years.

Now, i cant imagine going back to an iPhone with a small screen and its limitations as far as customizations, being closed source and it falling behind,..... and you can determine which apps are giving you notifications. For instance, i use Handcent SMS, not the default SMS. I have Handcent giving me notifications via a tone and in the notification bar and i turned off the default notifications. OK, so there was another comment, ....lol

Anyways, you can do more than you think you can, you just have to figure it out like you did with iOS. It is different than iOS for sure. When you open an app, hit the menu button and check out your options.

Sensamic
Jul 25, 2012, 09:05 PM
It's funny that the only things iOS people complain about Android are small things when iOS has bigger problems and limitations. They just don't find any problem big enough...

IOS has bigger limitations and they ignore them.

It's 2012 and they still don't have 3G video calls... hello? And no 4G... a 3.5 tiny screen... an old keyboard that needs to be improved... And now, wait for it, they get an inferior maps app! How sad is that?

They own a 2005 phone and they don't know it.

I admire Apple in the desktop OS, but it's just now that they included USB 3... They introduce updates at a slower pace because they know they control their consumers.

iosuser
Jul 25, 2012, 09:33 PM
Funny you brought up playing Temple Run. I love playing this game on my GS3, working on reaching 5000m (:eek:) Never really got into it on the iphone.

The keyboard is pretty bad I think, as far as auto spell correction. The Gnex works much better.

What is driving me insane is text selection. I'm totally fine with a long press to bring up the text selection brackets. But the left bracket is upside down, wth??? At least in the browser it brings up the magnifying glass. Try it in the mail app, the magnifying glass doesn't come up. You can't see what you're selecting unless you put your thumb sideways. It is not like that in the Gmail app.

Battery life does seem to be worse than the 4S. I don't see how I can get the 9hrs of runtime with it per the Engadget review. Screen time was 3hrs today and battery at 37%. It seems to be roughly the same as the Gnex which I'd used for a week before I bought the S3.

The stock email app is horribly slow to sync my yahoo mail. Sometimes it's instant but most of the time it sits there with the spinning circle for a minute before new mail comes in.

I might go back to the Gnex, I have another week to test the GS3. But I'm not going back to iPhone :p

The iGentleman
Jul 25, 2012, 09:46 PM
1. A general gripe - I accept a certain amount of tinkering with my phone, and I certainly enjoy it more than the average person. But beyond a certain level of tinkering I just get frustrated and expect things to work. That's what I miss most about the iPhone. For example, I have my music uploaded to google, so I thought I'd just use the Google Play app. First, this doesn't work with voice control. Second, it had glitches like repeating songs over and over in a playlist in no order (repeat wasn't on; shuffle was). Or I was in a random playlist, and it hit a Beach Boys song, and then would only play Beach Boys after that. So then I have to look for a third party music player. This situation has happened over and over with different things. I need 3rd party apps on iOS for a few things, but I feel like the apps are more polished and work better.

I have been using Google Music (on many different devices) since it began the beta, and I have never once seen this happen.

2. Notifications - After hearing how much better Android notifications are, I was surprised that I hate this the most out of everything. Notifications do not show up in the lockscreen unless I manually pull down the notifications screen, which obviously doesn't work if there's a security lock on the phone.
That's the whole point of a security lock....so nobody can see ANYTHING in the phone without having the pass to get in it.

The screen also doesn't light up when I get a notification.

I know there's an LED, but if I have 50 apps with notifications, one blinking light isn't a good solution to help me know what's going on (Morse code anyone?). So I now have to turn the phone on and swipe down to find out the notification instead of just looking at the phone. Also, I want to be able to know instantly what app is notifying me, AND what it is saying (e.g. the first line of the email and sender, sms message, etc.). Also, I want to be able to control what apps give me notifications. All of this was so nicely done on the iPhone.
Different apps blink different colors. Also, you can customize the light to be whatever color you want for a particular app. As for seeing more of the notification, that's a part of jellybean. BTW, you can control what app gives you notifications. All you had to do was go into that app's settings and enable/disable it. It sounds like you simply didn't take the time to learn the new platform.

3. Text Selection - I loved how iOS did this. Double tap on a word to select it, double tap and drag to select a larger selection. Option for copy, paste, etc. comes right up. On android I am unable to select a larger selection without just first selecting a word and then dragging the handles. On iOS it was just one gesture to do that. I'm sure android has this too. Also, I used the touch + hold for the magnifying glass to place the cursor all the time on iOS, and I don't know how to get similar functionality on android. I can get that blue handle and drag it around (after several tries), but it just seems less elegant. The magnifying glass in iOS is nice, but the bars on Android work just fine. You just have to adjust to a different way of doing things. Android isn't iOS. If you're looking for iOS' way of doing things, then don't look at an Android device.

4. Keyboards - I don't care if you can change your keyboard out, I still hate typing on the ones I've tried. Maybe I just need to get used to it.
I use the Ice Cream Sandwich keyboard. That keyboard is WAY better than the GS3's stock keyboard, and WAY WAY better than the iOS keyboard (which flat out sucks).

5. Complexity - I thought I would like having a file system and things like that, but it is a marginal benefit and in some cases makes things worse. Much harder, for example, to add a kindle book from dropbox to the kindle app. I guess I underestimated the usefulness of the "open in..." on iOS.
All you had to do was tap it, and it would have asked you what app you wanted to open it with, and you could have selected Kindle. Again, you have to get used to a different way of doing things when you change operating systems. It would seem you simply weren't very knowledgeable.

6. Miscellaneous - Some of the photos I take will be out of order in the camera roll. Not having them in chronological order bugs me.

I've never on any Android phone EVER seen anything like happen after taking pictures. Perhaps you had the "group by" setting set to something other than time. I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is probably another user created "issue" stemming from not being knowledgeable.

I spent 20 minutes trying different apps to get a scrolling wallpaper from a nice panoramic photo I took, and was unsuccessful (which is a GS3 issue I think).
You could have just simply changed to a launcher that supports that. Again, you weren't knowledgeable.

I was in "silent" mode on Android and pulled up a game thinking that it would be muted but it was not (got me in trouble :).
Agreed.

While battery life is better now than when I first got it, the GSii3 still has under 15% at the end of a normal day. Sometimes I run out. My iPhone 4 always has more than 50% at the end of a day (yeah yeah it doesn't have a big screen, but I don't care. If you sell a phone, make sure it lasts).
You probably have some things draining your battery. Considering the lack of competence (I don't mean this as an insult) of the platform you've displayed thus far, is highly likely you're causing your own issue. My battery EASILY makes it through a day of decent use. I have had days where I had 5+ hours of talk time, 2 hours of screen time, had all radios on, and the battery lasted me 15 hours.

Temple run is sometimes skippy. WTH, I get a brand new dual core phone and it can't handle Temple Run? I want the graphics to blow my mind if it's a two year newer phone.
Runs perfectly smooth for me. I'm going to take a guess and say you probably had power saving mode turned on, which underclocks the chip. Again, this is a user-caused "issue", stemming from you not being knowledgeable.

I also like the Mail app on iOS. I like how gmail works on android, but again, I need another app if I want exchange accounts and such.

A different OS, things are handled differently.

Last but not least, there are a few apps that aren't available on android, like Cyclemeter and Carcassonne.
There are other apps just as good or better than cyclemeter, for example Endomondo. Carcassonne is available.

All in all, it seems that the majority of your issues were caused by you. Most of it seems to stem from you not being familiar with the OS and not taking the time to be knowledgeable enough. Changing OS' is a big change and you have to learn how things work. It's easier to go from Android to iOS, because iOS does less, but there's more of a curve going from iOS to Android because you have to adjust to you controlling your experience instead of it being dictated. I don't mean this as an attack or anything but, the bulk of your list could easily be resolved by you becoming competent with the platform.

Honza
Jul 25, 2012, 09:49 PM
It's funny that the only things iOS people complain about Android are small things when iOS has bigger problems and limitations. They just don't find any problem big enough...

It's 2012 and they still don't have 3G video calls... hello? And no 4G... a 3.5 tiny screen... an old keyboard that needs to be improved... And now, wait for it, they get an inferior maps app! How sad is that?

I admire Apple in the desktop OS, but it's just now that they included USB 3... They introduce updates at a slower pace because they know they control their consumers.

I disagree. So 3G video calls are a huge issue and system wide notifications are a small issue? I use Skype for video chat, but no one I know uses it more than like once a week anyway. I agree that Apple introduces technology later than Android, but I'd rather have it come out an work well than have Google throw a million beta worthy technologies on the wall and see what sticks. Obviously I still like both but I'm generalizing here. Android generally has more features while iPhone has more polish. I thought that with ICS Android was on par with Apple with polish/user experience, but there were a few areas that were deal breakers for me. I just didn't want a phone where I had to replace the whole OS with 3rd party apps and configure everything with tasker to get it set up right. The basic things that I use all the time are more important than the "face unlock" and "smart stay" features that are often touted on android.

Vegastouch
Jul 25, 2012, 09:49 PM
Funny you brought up playing Temple Run. I love playing this game on my GS3, working on reaching 5000m (:eek:) Never really got into it on the iphone.

The keyboard is pretty bad I think, as far as auto spell correction. The Gnex works much better.

What is driving me insane is text selection. I'm totally fine with a long press to bring up the text selection brackets. But the left bracket is upside down, wth??? At least in the browser it brings up the magnifying glass. Try it in the mail app, the magnifying glass doesn't come up. You can't see what you're selecting unless you put your thumb sideways. It is not like that in the Gmail app.

Battery life does seem to be worse than the 4S. I don't see how I can get the 9hrs of runtime with it per the Engadget review. Screen time was 3hrs today and battery at 37%. It seems to be roughly the same as the Gnex which I'd used for a week before I bought the S3.

The stock email app is horribly slow to sync my yahoo mail. Sometimes it's instant but most of the time it sits there with the spinning circle for a minute before new mail comes in.

I might go back to the Gnex, I have another week to test the GS3. But I'm not going back to iPhone :p

You can disable some applications(bloatware) in the Apps manager that you dont use, like....i disabled Chat On, S Suggestions, All Share controller, T-Mobile TV and T-Mobile ID and the battery seems to be better...not that it sucked before. It is better than my Vibrant was. You can disable more if you want to though.

As for the stock email...mine works great with Yahoo. It did not work good on my Vibrant and i used the Yahoo app but i deleted it from my GS3 because the stock one has worked so well. Loads my emails real fast.

batting1000
Jul 25, 2012, 09:53 PM

Who are you trying to kid? I can use Tango to do 3G video calls.

Inferior maps? What's so inferior about it?

Not sure how the keyboard is "old". It has great correction in my opinion.

ecwhite4S
Jul 25, 2012, 09:54 PM

With all due respect, you didn't see Androids with face calls at all, until AFTER FaceTime. I know Apple didn't invent "face calls" they've been possible on select mobile devices since the early 2000s, but they surely set it as a trend in mobile devices considering Android came out with facecalling after Apple did it. And Apple will be allowing 3G FaceTime in iOS6. Not that I care, I only use FaceTime once a week to see my parents across the country. And I do it from home wifi cuz 3G isn't reliable everywhere.

And iOS has many limitations? Maybe to YOU. But I really dont see any limits especially with my fresh jailbreak. Android users who try to bring down the iPhone do such a horrible job, please realize that what you want in a phone isn't what every one wants. All you ever do is bring up the fact that you are more "free" to do what you want with your phone, with your widgets and what not. Yeah that's cute and all, but If I wanted that personally, maybe I would have bought an Android.

And I've had to opportunity to use both platforms on a consistent basis. I became frustrated with the Android because it didn't always do what it was supposed to do, or it would be slightly laggy or hiccup, the iPhone just works everytime.

I really don't hate Android, they are a cheaper more affordable option (obviously there are pricier better phones available too) for the masses and a lot of people have them because they are so plentiful. I'm glad Apple has something to compete with directly, makes things more interesting.

Honza
Jul 25, 2012, 10:04 PM
I have been using Google Music (on many different devices) since it began the beta, and I have never once seen this happen.

That's the whole point of a security lock....so nobody can see ANYTHING in the phone without having the pass to get in it.

Different apps blink different colors. Also, you can customize the light to be whatever color you want for a particular app. As for seeing more of the notification, that's a part of jellybean. BTW, you can control what app gives you notifications. All you had to do was go into that app's settings and enable/disable it. It sounds like you simply didn't take the time to learn the new platform.

The magnifying glass in iOS is nice, but the bars on Android work just fine. You just have to adjust to a different way of doing things. Android isn't iOS. If you're looking for iOS' way of doing things, then don't look at an Android device.

I use the Ice Cream Sandwich keyboard. That keyboard is WAY better than the GS3's stock keyboard, and WAY WAY better than the iOS keyboard (which flat out sucks).

All you had to do was tap it, and it would have asked you what app you wanted to open it with, and you could have selected Kindle. Again, you have to get used to a different way of doing things when you change operating systems. It would seem you simply weren't very knowledgeable.

I've never on any Android phone EVER seen anything like happen after taking pictures. Perhaps you had the "group by" setting set to something other than time. I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is probably another user created "issue" stemming from not being knowledgeable.

You could have just simply changed to a launcher that supports that. Again, you weren't knowledgeable.

Agreed.

You probably have some things draining your battery. Considering the lack of competence (I don't mean this as an insult) of the platform you've displayed thus far, is highly likely you're causing your own issue. My battery EASILY makes it through a day of decent use. I have had days where I had 5+ hours of talk time, 2 hours of screen time, had all radios on, and the battery lasted me 15 hours.

Runs perfectly smooth for me. I'm going to take a guess and say you probably had power saving mode turned on, which underclocks the chip. Again, this is a user-caused "issue", stemming from you not being knowledgeable.

There are other apps just as good or better than cyclemeter, for example Endomondo. Carcassonne is available.

All in all, it seems that the majority of your issues were caused by you. Most of it seems to stem from you not being familiar with the OS and not taking the time to be knowledgeable enough. Changing OS' is a big change and you have to learn how things work. It's easier to go from Android to iOS, because iOS does less, but there's more of a curve going from iOS to Android because you have to adjust to you controlling your experience instead of it being dictated. I don't mean this as an attack or anything but, the bulk of your list could easily be resolved by you becoming competent with the platform.

I think you would be better off without thinking that anyone who uses iOS is an idiot. I spent probably the equivalent of a full time job for that week googling things and installing various apps. I used Apex launcher which supports scrolling wallpaper, still didn't work. As for the battery - yes, I have power saving mode on, but I did not turn off GPS, wifi, 4g, whatever, because I don't feel like I should have to. I got a phone and I want to use all the features, and I've never had to do that before. If the battery didn't hack it it's not MY fault for not "managing it." Again, I don't want a phone that needs constant attention. Yes Carcassonne is available, but it's a complete joke compared to the iOS version. There's not even online multiplayer to play with friends (which is why I want it). For the Kindle, I exported the .mobi file from dropbox to the file system and tried to open it but it said no app supported it. So I had to figure out which folder to drop it in so it magically appeared in the Kindle app. Maybe you could change the notifications in all of the 50 apps to whatever you wanted, but that's a pain in the butt and they don't show up in the lockscreen anyway. Notice how I started the thread by saying "Android users feel free to give suggestions" in a polite way. This post was so condescending it makes me sick. Yeah, I'm no engineer, but I read a lot, google a lot and do the best I can. If that means I'm not qualified for android, so be it.

Vegastouch
Jul 25, 2012, 10:15 PM
You should at least turn off your GPS. Why would you need that on all the time?

You can make a NFC tag and stick it in your car to turn on the GPS as well as turn on your bluetooth without having to fiddle with teh phone. Hold it up to the tag, done! And you could do it vice versa if you made another tag to do the opposite.

I do leave 4G on all the time now and the battery is good. I turn on/off BT, WIFI and GPS on a need to basis with my NFC tags.

The iGentleman
Jul 25, 2012, 10:41 PM

You've got to be kidding. Apple's Maps is so devoid of information it's pathetic. Perhaps you should look at some side-by-side comparisons. It really isn't even close at all. Apple's Maps is amateur hour compared to Google's.

Then that would be because you have quite limited experience with more modern keyboards. You should how irrational you are when you say it has great correction. That's just plain silly.

The iGentleman
Jul 25, 2012, 10:53 PM
I think you would be better off without thinking that anyone who uses iOS is an idiot. I spent probably the equivalent of a full time job for that week googling things and installing various apps.

If it took you that long to figure out simple things, then perhaps the above statement may apply to you.

I have power saving mode on

And THAT is why you had the stutter in Temple Run....like I said, you had your chip turned down. YOUR FAULT.

, but I did not turn off GPS, wifi, 4g, whatever, because I don't feel like I should have to. I got a phone and I want to use all the features, and I've never had to do that before. If the battery didn't hack it it's not MY fault for not "managing it." Again, I don't want a phone that needs constant attention.

I never told you to turn those things off. If you had of payed attention, read, and comprehended what I wrote, you would have noticed the example I gave you of my battery life, and I specifically stated it was without turning off any radios. I don't believe in turning off radios, nor do you have to. But considering how poor your level of understanding seems to be, it would seem there's a great chance that once again YOU were the cause of your issues.

Maybe you could change the notifications in all of the 50 apps to whatever you wanted, but that's a pain in the butt and they don't show up in the lockscreen anyway.
I find it hard to believe there are 50 apps you have installed that each are providing notifications at the same time. That said, if you don't want the notification, simply turn it off. Imagine that, being able to turn off individual notifications. What a novel concept. ....and like I said about the light before, you can make it show whatever color you want for whatever app you want.

Notice how I started the thread by saying "Android users feel free to give suggestions" in a polite way. This post was so condescending it makes me sick. Yeah, I'm no engineer, but I read a lot, google a lot and do the best I can. If that means I'm not qualified for android, so be it.
Sorry my original post hurt your feelings...you should be less sensitive. The moral of the post was, you weren't knowledgeable and you caused the bulk of your own issues. If that hurt your little feelings then so be it. Ask someone for a hug later. Bottom line is, it's the truth of the matter whether you like it or not. You require more hand holding and things to be done for you. There's nothing wrong with that. Everyone isn't capable of managing things on their own.

Sensamic
Jul 25, 2012, 11:09 PM
Who are you trying to kid? I can use Tango to do 3G video calls.

Tango is a 3rd party app. Not an iOS built-in feature. And FaceTime only works with... other iOS devices. Can you videocall another phone thats not iOS?

Enough said.

My Nokia N95 had video calls in... dont even remember the year.

Did I say inferior Maps app? Oh sorry, I meant EXTREMELY inferior maps app.

Hello iPhone users? Its 2012. Wake up!

I really like Apple and their products but as a user I cant understand why they limit their mobile OS. It could be so much better.

Ive been with it for 2/3 years and had to move on because Android was surpassing iOS and I was not going to stay with a less capable OS.

KAB2010
Jul 25, 2012, 11:11 PM
To the iGentleman... I really hope you graduated from Harvard with a 4.0 GPA with how rude and condescending you are being towards people just because they are not an expert about a silly phone. You speak as if you knowing so much more about a phone makes you a superior person. Until Google and Apple get on their knees and praise you for being so much more knowledgeable than others, you might want to chill out with the ego trip and learn how to be more helpful and respectful.

The iGentleman
Jul 25, 2012, 11:26 PM
To the iGentleman... I really hope you graduated from Harvard with a 4.0 GPA with how rude and condescending you are being towards people just because they are not an expert about a silly phone. You speak as if you knowing so much more about a phone makes you a superior person. Until Google and Apple get on their knees and praise you for being so much more knowledgeable than others, you might want to chill out with the ego trip and learn how to be more helpful and respectful.

Oh I am so sorry. I offer my sincerest and deepest apologies. I had no idea I had to handle people with kid gloves and sugarcoat the fact their ignorance played a major role in their problems. I didn't insult the guy, he took offense to me stating he caused his own problems. Sorry but it is what it is. He did cause his own issues. Why do I need to sugarcoat that? I'm a very direct person, and when someone's right I have no problem telling them they are, but when they are wrong I will do the same. A guy makes a thread chronicling problems he caused himself, the response he received was quite appropriate. I have nothing to do with oversensitive people overreacting when someone tells them that the problem was actually themselves.

ecwhite4S
Jul 26, 2012, 12:00 AM
Tango is a 3rd party app. Not an iOS built-in feature. And FaceTime only works with... other iOS devices. Can you videocall another phone thats not iOS?

Enough said.

My Nokia N95 had video calls in... dont even remember the year.

Did I say inferior Maps app? Oh sorry, I meant EXTREMELY inferior maps app.

Hello iPhone users? Its 2012. Wake up!

I really like Apple and their products but as a user I cant understand why they limit their mobile OS. It could be so much better.

Ive been with it for 2/3 years and had to move on because Android was surpassing iOS and I was not going to stay with a less capable OS.

The vast amount of people that I see with iPhones doesnt make sense then, if it's truly a less capable OS. The average business man? Is carrying an iPhone. The average teenage kid? Carrying an Android. You're ignorant. Its less capable of doing what YOU want to do and thats fine. But everyone else with an iPhone seems pretty damn content. OH MY GOD, I CANT PUT A WEATHER WIDGET ON MY HOMESCREEN, SHOOT, MY PHONE SUCKS. Oh wait, I can just look out the window and see the weather.

I mean I get it, you guys like your phone to seem cool, and have cool add-ons, and fun colors and huge screens. (Is that a phone or a tablet?) I like a phone that works. I like the iPhone.

The iGentleman
Jul 26, 2012, 12:13 AM
I mean I get it, you guys like your phone to seem cool, and have cool add-ons, and fun colors and huge screens. (Is that a phone or a tablet?) I like a phone that works. I like the iPhone.

..yet your phone is jailbroken...imagine that.. lol

ecwhite4S
Jul 26, 2012, 12:19 AM
..yet your phone is jailbroken...imagine that.. lol

I jailbroke it because I CAN. I was fine without it, I went 8 months without it. But I can and thats why I did, isnt that COOL.

thekev
Jul 26, 2012, 12:25 AM
Haha I loved this. At least fanboys are fanboys, apple or android. Clearly I was unbiased as I tried the GS3 and wanted to like it despite its flaws (as a side note, I have to rip my old iphone out of my wife's hands and she has to go back to a flip phone and is not happy. If that isn't incentive enough to keep the GS3 I don't know what is). As for temple run, my friend who is not a phone geek (and who has an iP4) was the one who noticed the lagging and commented on it. Sure enough I played for myself and it wasn't as smooth as I would like. Certainly not as smooth as my new ipad playing Temple Run. If "freedom" means constantly messing with your phone then take it. I'll be out on a bike ride. Again, android has some great qualities, but this was my observation.

Of course she isn't happy. You could have just gotten another iphone seeing as you already gave her the prior one.

The iGentleman
Jul 26, 2012, 12:26 AM
I jailbroke it because I CAN. I was fine without it, I went 8 months without it. But I can and thats why I did, isnt that COOL.

...yeah that makes a lot of sense... :rolleyes: lol jailbreaking for the fun of it..but not to actually used the jailbreak.. sure..sure....tell us anything lol. :D

ecwhite4S
Jul 26, 2012, 12:32 AM
...yeah that makes a lot of sense... :rolleyes: lol jailbreaking for the fun of it..but not to actually used the jailbreak.. sure..sure....tell us anything lol. :D

Oh I added some things, mostly add-ons for Siri, so she can toggle brightness, wifi, airplane, just generally do more/respond to more commands. I didn't add any themes or cygets, or appearance things. Just a few fun little tweaks such as f.lux which yellows the screen at night to be easy on the eyes. Do I need the stuff that I added from the jailbreak? Of course not. Like I said, I loved my iPhone before jailbreaking, it does everything I need, and it does it well and reliably. A lot of members jailbreak their iPhones and don't add too much. Why not? We iPhone users like playing with the internals a bit too :D, and it's nice that if we want to, we have that option.

Marjamrob1
Jul 26, 2012, 12:37 AM
From my perspective, I have an android tablet, as well as an iPad, and I have to say, that my jailbroken iPad is equally customizable, and still "just works" for the most part, I have had very little problems with it, and I personally love it. However with my android tablet, on ICS, I have trouble with crashes, and I just find it a lot easier to use my iPad.

The iGentleman
Jul 26, 2012, 12:51 AM
From my perspective, I have an android tablet, as well as an iPad, and I have to say, that my jailbroken iPad is equally customizable, and still "just works" for the most part, I have had very little problems with it, and I personally love it. However with my android tablet, on ICS, I have trouble with crashes, and I just find it a lot easier to use my iPad.

Instead of "android tablet", how about something a bit more specific? What tablet is it?

----------

Oh I added some things, mostly add-ons for Siri, so she can toggle brightness, wifi, airplane, just generally do more/respond to more commands. I didn't add any themes or cygets, or appearance things. Just a few fun little tweaks such as f.lux which yellows the screen at night to be easy on the eyes. Do I need the stuff that I added from the jailbreak? Of course not. Like I said, I loved my iPhone before jailbreaking, it does everything I need, and it does it well and reliably. A lot of members jailbreak their iPhones and don't add too much. Why not? We iPhone users like playing with the internals a bit too :D, and it's nice that if we want to, we have that option.

So you felt that rummaging through the menus just to toggle things wasn't very efficient so you employed a faster way to do it (similar to what a widget accomplishes). What else? lol.

Rennir
Jul 26, 2012, 12:52 AM
The vast amount of people that I see with iPhones doesnt make sense then, if it's truly a less capable OS. The average business man? Is carrying an iPhone. The average teenage kid? Carrying an Android. You're ignorant. Its less capable of doing what YOU want to do and thats fine. But everyone else with an iPhone seems pretty damn content. OH MY GOD, I CANT PUT A WEATHER WIDGET ON MY HOMESCREEN, SHOOT, MY PHONE SUCKS. Oh wait, I can just look out the window and see the weather.

Unless you have data to substantiate your observations, it really doesn't count because even though you may be right, someone else from a different city/country could observe the exact opposite. In fact, I see most high school kids with iPhones. Capable is a subjective word, so depending on the person, Android or iOS could be more capable. But I will say this: from what I've seen, Apple does intentionally leave certain features out of iOS because they want the entire platform to be app-centered, thus leaving those functions to 3rd party apps.

ecwhite4S
Jul 26, 2012, 01:04 AM
Instead of "android tablet", how about something a bit more specific? What tablet is it?

----------

So you felt that rummaging through the menus just to toggle things wasn't very efficient so you employed a faster way to do it (similar to what a widget accomplishes). What else? lol.

No, I just wanted it so I can play with it. I'm not really a lazy person, I'll go to the settings to toggle things if I have to. Do I think that the iPhone should already have something like SBSettings, sure...but does it stop me from buying the phone? NOPE. Because the phones that good. And see, that's the thing, let's say there was no jailbreak and I had to (not be lazy) and go all the way into the settings (takes like 2 seconds) and turn off wifi, I still wouldn't buy an Android. Could I have just bought an Android and had those things from start up? Sure, but I don't enjoy the Android system, it's fun but too many unnecessary extras (in my opinion).

If you guys like that, by all means. But dont shun the iPhone because it's not as "cool" to customize, or because it takes two more seconds to turn wifi off.

KAB2010
Jul 26, 2012, 01:05 AM
Wirelessly posted

Oh I am so sorry. I offer my sincerest and deepest apologies. I had no idea I had to handle people with kid gloves and sugarcoat the fact their ignorance played a major role in their problems. I didn't insult the guy, he took offense to me stating he caused his own problems. Sorry but it is what it is. He did cause his own issues. Why do I need to sugarcoat that? I'm a very direct person, and when someone's right I have no problem telling them they are, but when they are wrong I will do the same. A guy makes a thread chronicling problems he caused himself, the response he received was quite appropriate. I have nothing to do with oversensitive people overreacting when someone tells them that the problem was actually themselves.

I don't think I could place all blame on a person for the issues they were having. iOS is simple to learn, as every phone should be. It wouldn't hurt for android to become easier to learn while still being open and very customizable.

Mac.World
Jul 26, 2012, 01:24 AM
I was really itching to try Android and having a hard time waiting until the fall, so I bought a Galaxy S3 a week ago. Now that the honeymoon has worn off, I find myself getting frustrated with some things and missing the iPhone. I'm not against Android, in fact, I love some aspects of it. But both sides represent a trade off, and since I'm slightly torn between the two, I think the iPhone might be better. Android users, feel free to add any suggestions, as I am new to the system and perhaps don't understand it fully.

2. Notifications - After hearing how much better Android notifications are, I was surprised that I hate this the most out of everything. Notifications do not show up in the lockscreen unless I manually pull down the notifications screen, which obviously doesn't work if there's a security lock on the phone. The screen also doesn't light up when I get a notification. I know there's an LED, but if I have 50 apps with notifications, one blinking light isn't a good solution to help me know what's going on (Morse code anyone?). So I now have to turn the phone on and swipe down to find out the notification instead of just looking at the phone. Also, I want to be able to know instantly what app is notifying me, AND what it is saying (e.g. the first line of the email and sender, sms message, etc.). Also, I want to be able to control what apps give me notifications. All of this was so nicely done on the iPhone.

#2: there are so many options, apps and widgets to make this happen, it is sad you didn't do a Google search. Here's the irony: the app you would have loved is called "iPhone notifications"

#4: iOS keyboard is garbage. The stock Android keyboard is garbage. I SwiftKey 3 is awesome.

#5: Dropbox is a sucky mobile app. Google Drive is much better and allows you to do what you want.

It is too bad you didn't do a Google search or go to one of the many forums for Android and asked these questions. The answer is usually because the person making the excuses had no intention of keeping the phone because it was simply to difficult for them. The iphone has really made people become too dependent on having everything done for you.

ecwhite4S
Jul 26, 2012, 01:27 AM
#4: iOS keyboard is garbage.

Can I just ask why you think the iOS keyboard is garbage? I'm not asking in an offensive way, I'm just curious why you didn't like it.

The iGentleman
Jul 26, 2012, 01:34 AM
Can I just ask why you think the iOS keyboard is garbage? I'm not asking in an offensive way, I'm just curious why you didn't like it.

I agree the iOS keyboard is in need of improvement as it is quite antiquated. The auto correct is horrid, and the lack of any sort of prediction are my biggest gripes with it. Also, they could stand to make it a bit more responsive.

ecwhite4S
Jul 26, 2012, 01:48 AM
I agree the iOS keyboard is in need of improvement as it is quite antiquated. The auto correct is horrid, and the lack of any sort of prediction are my biggest gripes with it. Also, they could stand to make it a bit more responsive.

Interesting. My auto correct works just fine, and I don't need my text to predict what I'm writing. I like controlling that. I think that's the difference, I'm not lazy, I don't need my keyboard to predict and automatically write what I wanted to write. Those things aren't always correct, anyways..lets be honest. And a bit more responsive? Was your experience on the iOS keyboard with a iPhone 3G? Because I have a 4S and my keyboard is plenty responsive, along with intuitive, easy to use and accurate.

And by the way, if I wanted I could add things on Cydia to make the keyboard more of what you prefer... predicting what you're going to type, swype keyboards, etc. So an iPhone essentially CAN be customized to perform just like what Android users "like", so it's sort of odd. It's almost like the Android users have NO CLUE what you can do with a jailbroken iPhone. Because if we wanted to, we could jailbreak the iPhone and add just as much stuff as your Android phone comes with. I choose not to go to that extreme, but I could if I pleased.

But again, my iOS keyboard works just fine. Landscape mode? Even better. It just seems weird to complain about something as simple as a keyboard. Sort of proves that you're just picking things off the top of your head to complain about. And your complaints weren't even legit. Aw poor you, it didn't finish your word for you...meanwhile thousands are dying in 3rd world countries because they havent eaten meals in weeks. Think about the petty **** that you're complaining about, maybe that's why I'm having such a hard time understanding.

The iGentleman
Jul 26, 2012, 02:17 AM
Interesting. My auto correct works just fine, and I don't need my text to predict what I'm writing. I like controlling that. I think that's the difference, I'm not lazy, I don't need my keyboard to predict and automatically write what I wanted to write. Those things aren't always correct, anyways..lets be honest. And a bit more responsive? Was your experience on the iOS keyboard with a iPhone 3G? Because I have a 4S and my keyboard is plenty responsive, along with intuitive, easy to use and accurate.

iOS' keyboard does tend to miss letters sometimes. And yes I was using a 4S. You may not be "lazy", but there are people that appreciate increased efficiency.

And by the way, if I wanted I could add things on Cydia to make the keyboard more of what you prefer... predicting what you're going to type, swype keyboards, etc.

You mean swype-like. There are plenty of imitations out there, but none of them perform as well as Swype. Sorry, they just don't. They're imitations.

So an iPhone essentially CAN be customized to perform just like what Android users "like", so it's sort of odd. It's almost like the Android users have NO CLUE what you can do with a jailbroken iPhone.
For one, that's not quite true. You can jailbreak until you heart's content, that isn't going to create true multitasking and allow apps to run concurrently. You can make your best attempt to emulate what is already on an Android phone, but every time those attempts fall short of the real thing, after all, they are only imitations so they never have the same full functionality. Not to mention, you're also neglecting to mention the adverse impact all that has on the phone's performance. The iPhone isn't made to handle that sort of load, and it isn't like you can jailbreak and overclock the process to help out.

Because if we wanted to, we could jailbreak the iPhone and add just as much stuff as your Android phone comes with. I choose not to go to that extreme, but I could if I pleased.
Not quite. Reference the above statement. But anyway, I find that to be a silly statement to say "hey I can make my phone do that if I hack it and download a bunch of stuff to emulate what you can do out of the box.". Don't compare a hacked phone to a non-hacked phone. A rooted Android phone has way more options than a jailbroken iPhone. For example, I change my processor speed if i so choose, a jailbroken iPhone can't. I can add features from other phones such as Google Wallet functionality, a jailbroken iPhone can't. I can run an entirely different OS if I want to, a jailbroken iPhone can't. I can connect my phone to the television, turn on an emulator, and use a Playstation controller to have console gaming, a jailbroken iPhone cannot. These are just a few examples, but there are may more. I'm sure you get the point by now.

But again, my iOS keyboard works just fine. Landscape mode? Even better. It just seems weird to complain about something as simple as a keyboard. Sort of proves that you're just picking things off the top of your head to complain about. And your complaints weren't even legit. Aw poor you, it didn't finish your word for you...meanwhile thousands are dying in 3rd world countries because they havent eaten meals in weeks. Think about the petty **** that you're complaining about, maybe that's why I'm having such a hard time understanding.
The third world has nothing to do with why I feel an iPhone falls short. The keyboard is just one of SEVERAL things, where it falls short.

----------

It just seems weird to complain about something as simple as a keyboard. Sort of proves that you're just picking things off the top of your head to complain about. And your complaints weren't even legit. Aw poor you, it didn't finish your word for you...meanwhile thousands are dying in 3rd world countries because they havent eaten meals in weeks. Think about the petty **** that you're complaining about, maybe that's why I'm having such a hard time understanding.

Here's a few more things you can add to the keyboard coming up short. Note this is not everything, this is just a few things that I think make the iPhone come up short:

-The notifications in iOS are still poor. Now Jellybean has added on to the notifications, and there simply is no comparison. iOS doesn't even give you a static icon that lets you know something is in the notification center. In other words, if a notification comes in and you don't deal with it right away, you could possibly forget about it, and there is nothing to remind you (unless you look at the app icon later and it shows a number on it).

-This is one I'm sure you've heard a million times, widgets. Believe it or not, they do add a level of functionality. If you'd like an example, I'd be more than happy to show you how my phone is set up (I won't put it in this post because this post will be long enough lol).

-App integration is lacking in iOS. For example, I can go to anything in my phone, click share, and have a plethora of options to share my content/data/files with (depending on what apps I have installed). In iOS that isn't possible. If I want to share in a particular app, I have to do it from that app. That severely limits my options when it comes to sharing information.

-iOS' cloud functionality still needs work. For example, I can't store videos in the cloud. If I record a video, iCloud can push it to my iCloud connected devices, but my video can't reside in the cloud like it can on Android.

-Keyboard. iOS' keyboard is in need of an update. It really just is not very good, and there are better options out there. Unfortunately, iOS will not allow you to change to a better keyboard.

-Browser. Safari sucks. There's no two ways about it. It can't reformat text to the screen, so you're stuck having to scroll side to side to read content on some pages. The download options (or lack thereof) in the browser is archaic at best. Bear in mind, Chrome is a much better browser, but you can't set it as your default browser without hacking your phone to do it.

-You can't do something as simple as creating a custom ringtone without needing to sync to your computer. While working in the field, I have met several people that don't have computers and use their iDevice as their computer. I guess those people just won't ever be able to have a custom ringtone, because it requires having to sync to a computer. That is crazy.

-Voice dictation on the iPhone needs improvement BIG TIME.

-DLNA functionality is absent. There is airplay, but that isn't compatible with the DLNA standard.

-NFC functionality is absent. Many people will say, "well there aren't a lot of businesses that have NFC enabled readers". This is true for some areas, but there are other areas that have plenty of places that do have them. I live in Atlanta, and I have used NFC to pay for things in drugs stores, fast food places, doctor's offices, and several other places. Also, it's nice to be able to automate tasks via NFC. For example, you can put an NFC tag in your vehicle mount that will put your phone in "car mode" when you place it in there.

-Handicapped bluetooth. Not being able to send a person something to their phone via bluetooth is a bit ridiculous in 2012. I've been doing that since the Windows Mobile days, and yet iOS still features handicapped bluetooth. There have been several times I wanted to give my uncle a file, and had to email it to him instead of just sending it straight to his phone via bluetooth. Also this means, I can't connect game controllers such as the PS3 controller if I want to play a game using it.

RMXO
Jul 26, 2012, 02:35 AM
If you truly want to experience Android. You need to root & load a customized ROM. If that's not your thing them root it & get Titanium Backup. Use that to remove bloatware. Removing bloatwares will speed up your phone. TiBu is a very powerful & handy app.

jeffe
Jul 26, 2012, 02:54 AM
If you truly want to experience Android. You need to root & load a customized ROM. If that's not your thing them root it & get Titanium Backup. Use that to remove bloatware. Removing bloatwares will speed up your phone. TiBu is a very powerful & handy app.

This may have been true at one point but now you can disable apps in Android if you want. I run my Nexus on stock..rooting does very little for me.

Dangerous Theory
Jul 26, 2012, 07:18 AM
Love my GS3 but I agree about text selection. It isn't great in iOS, but it is goddamn atrocious on Android. Sometimes flat out refuses to select at all, and other times when I'm dragging it over a paragraph the screen will fly all over the place and generally not end up where I want it.

batting1000
Jul 26, 2012, 09:32 AM

Ok, so pretty much if it's not built in isn't good? It's rather annoying because when I tell you about an app on iOS that performs the same function as something built in on Android, it's disregarded as half-baked or a walkaround because you can't admit it does the same thing.

For the record, Tango is cross-platform so it works on iOS, Android, Windows Phone, and PC's, so yes, you can video call someone OVER 3G and on a NON-iOS device.

----------

And by the way, if I wanted I could add things on Cydia to make the keyboard more of what you prefer... predicting what you're going to type, swype keyboards, etc. So an iPhone essentially CAN be customized to perform just like what Android users "like", so it's sort of odd. It's almost like the Android users have NO CLUE what you can do with a jailbroken iPhone. Because if we wanted to, we could jailbreak the iPhone and add just as much stuff as your Android phone comes with. I choose not to go to that extreme, but I could if I pleased.

I agree with you 100%. I find it funny that it's only the Android users that are saying the iOS keyboard is bad. I admit that if there's a mistake in something I type that it's my fault and not the fault of the keyboard.

Honza
Jul 26, 2012, 09:41 AM
#2: there are so many options, apps and widgets to make this happen, it is sad you didn't do a Google search. Here's the irony: the app you would have loved is called "iPhone notifications"

#4: iOS keyboard is garbage. The stock Android keyboard is garbage. I SwiftKey 3 is awesome.

#5: Dropbox is a sucky mobile app. Google Drive is much better and allows you to do what you want.

It is too bad you didn't do a Google search or go to one of the many forums for Android and asked these questions. The answer is usually because the person making the excuses had no intention of keeping the phone because it was simply to difficult for them. The iphone has really made people become too dependent on having everything done for you.

Ok, as I stated above, I did Google plenty of things. Seeing as notifications was pretty much the biggest downfall, obviously I searched this. Yes, I did see the iPhone Notifications app, and NO it does not display items in the lockscreen. It gives you the ios banners and popups, but does not display notifications in the lockscreen. I did use Swiftkey 3, and I hated how there isnt autotext shortcuts (like typing eml to get your email address) so I went to smart keyboard. Swiftkey was better at predicting, but no keyboard had it all for me. Obviously this is a very opinion oriented item, so if you like the keyboards, more power to you. Other things like how the notifications work are purely objective. Ihad every intention of keeping the phone. What kind of idiot goes and buys phones just for a week to pay 35 bucks and wait in the ATT store for an hour each time? Sorry, thats just not me. I have no loyalty to apple, and was looking for a phone upgrade. I like the android devices and android in general, but there were a few things I did not like. Just face it that there may be some things that people dont like about android. It's not the end of the world.

Rennir
Jul 26, 2012, 09:50 AM

Because its all subjective, once again. Your experiences and his are completely different and you can't substitute yours with his. Is your sensation of touch or perception the exact same as his? For someone trying to understand the opposite side, you sure are close minded. You dismiss everything he says and then say you don't understand.

Look, the keyboard might not be important for you, but let's say we were talking about a businessman (since apparently most of those use iPhones according to you) who emails clients all day on his iPhone when not at work, and thus, not in the vicinity of a laptop. Wouldn't the keyboard be essential then? Like I said, different people have different needs and priorities.

The 3rd world countries topic is completely irrelevant, unless you want to explain the logic behind your statement?

batting1000
Jul 26, 2012, 09:53 AM
Just face it that there may be some things that people dont like about android. It's not the end of the world.

This. They'll go as far as they can to prove how superior Android is. They don't care about your opinion. Their goal is just to persuade you to stay on Android. It's a shame we couldn't do the same to get them to stay on iOS instead of switching to Android.

Rennir
Jul 26, 2012, 10:04 AM
This. They'll go as far as they can to prove how superior Android is. They don't care about your opinion. Their goal is just to persuade you to stay on Android. It's a shame we couldn't do the same to get them to stay on iOS instead of switching to Android.

If you truly believe that, then I will use the same argument that many users on macrumors used: stop visiting this sub forum, if people are truly beyond help. There are certain topics in this world that are just not winnable given a person's belief in his or her side is strong enough (religion, politics). Why torture yourself? It seems mentions of android has gotten a lot less in the iPhone forum since this sub forum was created so you should be fine right? Also, if you like discussing about android, then go somewhere more "open minded" as you claim.

But personally for me, I'm not trying to prove you wrong. I'm trying to make you see that my argument is just as valid as yours. To each their own :)

batting1000
Jul 26, 2012, 10:07 AM
If you truly believe that, then I will use the same argument that many users on macrumors used: stop visiting this sub forum, if people are truly beyond help. There are certain topics in this world that are just not winnable given a person's belief in his or her side is strong enough (religion, politics). Why torture yourself? It seems mentions of android has gotten a lot less in the iPhone forum since this sub forum was created so you should be fine right? Also, if you like discussing about android, then go somewhere more "open minded" as you claim.

But personally for me, I'm not trying to prove you wrong. I'm trying to make you see that my argument is just as valid as yours. To each their own :)

I will continue visiting this sub forum because I enjoy both Android and iPhone, as well as other competitors.

ecwhite4S
Jul 26, 2012, 10:13 AM
iGentleman, you are a broken record man. You literally just keep posing the same bullcrap over and over. Can you please just get over the fact that we enjoy or iPhones. Again, your childish whining about a stupid keyboard just gives you and the rest of the Android community a bad name. That fact that you're complaining about a keyboard (that functions perfectly fine for an average intelligent adult) and that I have no issues with, just proves that you are just searching for petty things to complain about. It's pathetic. Enjoy your sweet Android and your superior keyboard! LOL. I don't even have to argue with you anymore because you pretty much make yourself look stupid. I mean really, complaining about a keyboard, that like I said functions perfectly. For instance I use my
Phone to type on this forum an cant type full length responses easily.

I dunno, I need to say away from this sub forum and let you guys just suck each other off and get off on the fact that you THINK your phone is superior. Your phones are shotty, poor quality, plastic, ugly iPhone wannabes. "OMG your keyboard doesn't finish my word!"
OMG you're a lazy ****. Point blank. Your phone sucks.
Report the crap out of me, I don't care. Get off an iPhone forum with your unnesseary bashing. No one cares.

Rennir
Jul 26, 2012, 11:18 AM
iGentleman, you are a broken record man. You literally just keep posing the same bullcrap over and over. Can you please just get over the fact that we enjoy or iPhones. Again, your childish whining about a stupid keyboard just gives you and the rest of the Android community a bad name. That fact that you're complaining about a keyboard (that functions perfectly fine for an average intelligent adult) and that I have no issues with, just proves that you are just searching for petty things to complain about. It's pathetic. Enjoy your sweet Android and your superior keyboard! LOL. I don't even have to argue with you anymore because you pretty much make yourself look stupid. I mean really, complaining about a keyboard, that like I said functions perfectly. For instance I use my

I dunno, I need to say away from this sub forum and let you guys just suck each other off and get off on the fact that you THINK your phone is superior. Your phones are shotty, poor quality, plastic, ugly iPhone wannabes. "OMG your keyboard doesn't finish my word!"
Report the crap out of me, I don't care. Get off an iPhone forum with your unnesseary bashing. No one cares.

ecwhite4S, why don't you let Technarchy and batting1000 take over? Because I find certain parts your post to be very ironic, specifically towards the end of the first paragraph. By the way, if you keep ignoring my comments, I'm just going to assume its because you can't provide a rebuttal, and I welcome you to prove me wrong :)

First, you say he needs to get over the fact that you guys enjoy your iPhones. Check the sub forum again? If you enjoy it great! But if that was all, then why would you come to the other devices sub forum to tout how much you enjoy an iPhone? Surely you would get a much better response in the iPhone sub forum? Also, your Samsung ad and all yours claims about android copying iOS isn't just you enjoying your phone.

As I've stated in the past, you can't generalize your experiences to the average intelligent adult. If the android keyboard truly is better in autocorrect an predictive abilities, who's to say those satisfied right now wouldn't be enamored with a better keyboard? Satisfaction doesn't imply perfection. Refer to my previous post about the keyboard thing.

"An cant"? Nice example! What if he has an S3? You said in the other thread that you weren't implying the S3 sucks. And yet you just said all Android phones suck. Don't you see the hypocrisy in telling us to get over the fact that you enjoy your iPhones and stop insulting it yet telling us that our phones suck? Who is bashing who exactly?

For future reference, letting anger cloud your judgement is counterproductive to trying to win an argument or persuade the opposing side.

I rest my case.

RMXO
Jul 26, 2012, 11:54 AM
This may have been true at one point but now you can disable apps in Android if you want. I run my Nexus on stock..rooting does very little for me.

That is true, I forgot to mention that since I rarely ever use that feature. I prefer to "freeze" or "un-install" my apps via TiBU. Another add bonus to rooting & using TiBU is for the backup feature. That is the main reason why I use TiBu, so I can backup all my apps.

Shame the S3 didn't work for you. It's an awesome device but it's not for everyone, just like how the iPhone isn't for everyone.

I was once an iPhone user but switching to Android open my eyes to further customizing my phone & got addicted to flashing ROM's. To each their own as the old saying goes.

So true on Android "text selection", it can really be a pain the ass sometimes.

Honza
Jul 26, 2012, 11:59 AM
That is true, I forgot to mention that since I rarely ever use that feature. I prefer to "freeze" or "un-install" my apps via TiBU. Another add bonus to rooting & using TiBU is for the backup feature. That is the main reason why I use TiBu, so I can backup all my apps.

Shame the S3 didn't work for you. It's an awesome device but it's not for everyone, just like how the iPhone isn't for everyone.

I was once an iPhone user but switching to Android open my eyes to further customizing my phone & got addicted to flashing ROM's. To each their own as the old saying goes.

Thank you for a reasonable response. Maybe android and iOS users can coexist :)

RMXO
Jul 26, 2012, 12:06 PM
Thank you for a reasonable response. Maybe android and iOS users can coexist :)

Same to you. Majority of us can co-exist, it just hard for some especially when the iOS vs Android flamefest starts, LOL. :D

RMXO
Jul 26, 2012, 01:03 PM

And we can say that about iOS users. So what's the point? Both sides have their arguments, why can't we all get just along instead of downplaying the other?

Mac.World
Jul 26, 2012, 01:26 PM

The physical set up is fine, it is the sheer amount of auto-correct errors (so much so I turned it off because it was unusable), the lack of long touch for numbers and special characters. For instance if I want to type, "Fan#1" I have to click on 3 different sub-keyboards. Additionally, the space bar only seems to want to accept taps 6 out of 10 times, so I constantly have multiple words running together. I have to manually correct every post because the keyboard is so bad. And the lack of predictive words is just a negative that Apple is apparently copying, I mean adding in ios6. ;)
By the way, I tried 5 row keyboard, ikeywi keyboards as well. I prefer ikeywi, but it only solved the not having to hit extra sub-keyboards for numbers and special characters that I used a lot, since I had control over what was on the keyboard.

batting1000
Jul 26, 2012, 01:27 PM
The physical set up is fine, it is the sheer amount of auto-correct errors (so much so I turned it off because it was unusable), the lack of long touch for numbers and special characters. For instance if I want to type, "Fan#1" I have to click on 3 different sub-keyboards. Additionally, the space bar only seems to want to accept taps 6 out of 10 times, so I constantly have multiple words running together. I have to manually correct every post because the keyboard is so bad. And the lack of predictive words is just a negative that Apple is apparently copying, I mean adding in ios6. ;)
By the way, I tried 5 row keyboard, ikeywi keyboards as well. I prefer ikeywi, but it only solved the not having to hit extra sub-keyboards for numbers and special characters that I used a lot, since I had control over what was on the keyboard.

Who said they're adding predictive text in iOS 6?

Mac.World
Jul 26, 2012, 01:35 PM
iThat is true, I forgot to mention that since I rarely ever use that feature. I prefer to "freeze" or "un-install" my apps via TiBU. Another add bonus to rooting & using TiBU is for the backup feature. That is the main reason why I use TiBu, so I can backup all my apps.

I rooted my S3 just for the sole purpose of getting Titanium backup and to use my PS3 controller for gaming. Love TB!

The iGentleman
Jul 26, 2012, 09:55 PM
ecwhite4S, why don't you let Technarchy and batting1000 take over? Because I find certain parts your post to be very ironic, specifically towards the end of the first paragraph. By the way, if you keep ignoring my comments, I'm just going to assume its because you can't provide a rebuttal, and I welcome you to prove me wrong :)

First, you say he needs to get over the fact that you guys enjoy your iPhones. Check the sub forum again? If you enjoy it great! But if that was all, then why would you come to the other devices sub forum to tout how much you enjoy an iPhone? Surely you would get a much better response in the iPhone sub forum? Also, your Samsung ad and all yours claims about android copying iOS isn't just you enjoying your phone.

As I've stated in the past, you can't generalize your experiences to the average intelligent adult. If the android keyboard truly is better in autocorrect an predictive abilities, who's to say those satisfied right now wouldn't be enamored with a better keyboard? Satisfaction doesn't imply perfection. Refer to my previous post about the keyboard thing.

"An cant"? Nice example! What if he has an S3? You said in the other thread that you weren't implying the S3 sucks. And yet you just said all Android phones suck. Don't you see the hypocrisy in telling us to get over the fact that you enjoy your iPhones and stop insulting it yet telling us that our phones suck? Who is bashing who exactly?

For future reference, letting anger cloud your judgement is counterproductive to trying to win an argument or persuade the opposing side.

I rest my case.

Exactly. This guy is the ultimate of hypocrisy. Not to mention, he totally disregarded the other things I posted about where iOS falls short. Apparently he has a hard on for the iOS keyboard, and can't see anything else.

----------

iGentleman, you are a broken record man. You literally just keep posing the same bullcrap over and over. Can you please just get over the fact that we enjoy or iPhones. Again, your childish whining about a stupid keyboard just gives you and the rest of the Android community a bad name. That fact that you're complaining about a keyboard (that functions perfectly fine for an average intelligent adult) and that I have no issues with, just proves that you are just searching for petty things to complain about. It's pathetic.

So because YOU don't have a problem with the keyboard, nobody else should?! Nice logic there. BTW, I find it quite humorous you neglected to address the other things I brought up, and instead chose to harp on the keyboard.

Enjoy your sweet Android and your superior keyboard! LOL.

I do. Every day. lol

I don't even have to argue with you anymore because you pretty much make yourself look stupid. I mean really, complaining about a keyboard, that like I said functions perfectly. For instance I use my

Case in point. You just said "Phone to type on this forum an cant type full length responses easily." That very sentences, proves the problem with the auto correction and lack of predictive text in the iOS keyboard. Perhaps if your keyboard was better, you'd have typed a better sentence. I've also bolded some other auto correction failures too. lol Thanks for proving my point for me, you did a great job.

Mac.World
Jul 26, 2012, 09:58 PM
Case in point. You just said "Phone to type on this forum an cant type full length responses easily." That very sentences, proves the problem with the auto correction and lack of predictive text in the iOS keyboard. Perhaps if your keyboard was better, you'd have typed a better sentence. lol Thanks for proving my point for me, you did a great job.

He can't respond to you. He's been put in "time out" :p

Zaft
Jul 26, 2012, 10:47 PM
Wow the op got bashed to hell by android fans here lol. I don't understand why they need feed us all there crap. They are so MAD they we are content it's crazy. Some people really need a life

Honza
Jul 26, 2012, 10:56 PM
Wow the op got bashed to hell by android fans here lol. I don't understand why they need feed us all there crap. They are so MAD they we are content it's crazy. Some people really need a life

Haha. I think I answered their attacks for the most part, though. Most if not all of my original concerns still stand, despite the Android fans telling me that I just don't know anything. From the perspective of someone who doesn't want to flash roms and root and tinker, Android fell short in a few areas. For those who want to uber-customize their phone it's a different story.

RMXO
Jul 26, 2012, 10:57 PM

Not all of us Android users bashed him, you should see all your fellow iOS users bashing Android users. Funny how you make fun of Android users bashing & you bash yourself. Guess you need a life also?

The iGentleman
Jul 26, 2012, 11:17 PM
He can't respond to you. He's been put in "time out" :p

lmao. I guess he's been a bad boy lol. It was quit funny, and a bit ironic that in the very post where he minimizes the importance of a good keyboard with a good auto correction, and minimizes the usefulness of prediction, his sentences were littered with misspelled and incorrect words. lol I guess he could have used a better auto correct and text prediction after all. Oh the irony! lol :D

Mac.World
Jul 26, 2012, 11:31 PM
Ok, as I stated above, I did Google plenty of things. Seeing as notifications was pretty much the biggest downfall, obviously I searched this. Yes, I did see the iPhone Notifications app, and NO it does not display items in the lockscreen. It gives you the ios banners and popups, but does not display notifications in the lockscreen. I did use Swiftkey 3, and I hated how there isnt autotext shortcuts (like typing eml to get your email address) so I went to smart keyboard. Swiftkey was better at predicting, but no keyboard had it all for me. Obviously this is a very opinion oriented item, so if you like the keyboards, more power to you. Other things like how the notifications work are purely objective. Ihad every intention of keeping the phone. What kind of idiot goes and buys phones just for a week to pay 35 bucks and wait in the ATT store for an hour each time? Sorry, thats just not me. I have no loyalty to apple, and was looking for a phone upgrade. I like the android devices and android in general, but there were a few things I did not like. Just face it that there may be some things that people dont like about android. It's not the end of the world.

I had to double check the notification issue. First, there is the notification LED (which let's me know by color if I have a missed call, missed text or missed email. Once the app Light flowers if fixed for the us version, we'll be able to set any color for any type of notification.) , next there is a notification icon in the status bar telling you if you have email, hotmail, sms, calendar event, etc. Swipe down from the top and your notification information is all there right from the lockscreen. This is all built in stuff! Don't even need an app.
Or are you saying a notification LED was not enough and a single swipe was to much to get all your notification info at once? By the way, you can display missed info directly on the lockscreen, but that requires a launcher like Nova and an app like Missed It. I thought iphone notifications did it, but I guess not.

The iGentleman
Jul 27, 2012, 12:54 AM
I had to double check the notification issue. First, there is the notification LED (which let's me know by color if I have a missed call, missed text or missed email. Once the app Light flowers if fixed for the us version, we'll be able to set any color for any type of notification.) , next there is a notification icon in the status bar telling you if you have email, hotmail, sms, calendar event, etc. Swipe down from the top and your notification information is all there right from the lockscreen. This is all built in stuff! Don't even need an app.
Or are you saying a notification LED was not enough and a single swipe was to much to get all your notification info at once? By the way, you can display missed info directly on the lockscreen, but that requires a launcher like Nova and an app like Missed It. I thought iphone notifications did it, but I guess not.

And yet again, it comes down to him being knowledgeable, or in this case not being so. He got offended about it, but really it's true. The notification lights for example, can be changed with an app if he'd like. Whatever he wants access to on the lockscreen, he can have. He simply didn't know.

Eddie Bombay
Jul 27, 2012, 01:30 AM

The magnifying glass in iOS is nice, but the bars on Android work just fine. You just have to adjust to a different way of doing things. Android isn't iOS. If you're looking for iOS' way of doing things, then don't look at an Android device.

Agreed.

Well said.

Zaft
Jul 27, 2012, 07:14 AM
Not all of us Android users bashed him, you should see all your fellow iOS users bashing Android users. Funny how you make fun of Android users bashing & you bash yourself. Guess you need a life also?

I was not making fun of android users, what I'm saying is macrumors had to make a seperate section for all the people that feel they need to discuss android on a MAC forum... I'm not saying all but many are pissed of as hell that we don't like what "they" like. It's pretty sad

Honza
Jul 27, 2012, 08:42 AM

Ok, I'll go through it again. Obviously people didn't understand my original post, and now I'm not "knowledgeable" enough. So even with the notification LED AND the status bar icons, AND the drop down notification shade in the lockscreen AND shortcuts from the lockscreen to any 4 apps (built in features), it still does not solve the problem of immediately seeing what app is notifying you AND what they are saying (e.g. one line of the email). Like I said, I like to see my phone buzz on my desk and without even touching it, know if I have to answer a notification or not (by knowing who is messaging me, and what they're saying, etc.). And if I have a security lock on android I can't see anything until I unlock it (and if that's what you prefer for security, that's great for you, but people usually don't start out their emails with credit card numbers and sub nuclear codes, so anybody can read the first 5 words of my emails if they want). And "missed it!" as far as the description states, only gives you the number of missed events (i.e. one "dropbox" notification, two "Whatsapp" notifications, etc.) so this is hardly a full solution. And again, I really wouldn't care to install all this crap so that the main notifications works half decently. All this means is that Android stock notifications can't do what the iPhone does (which you may or may not like - not the point), and that is one main reason why I didn't care for the S3. But people will fly into a rage if you say that you didn't like their OS, and call you stupid, and dumb, and lazy, and all that. But whatever! I did my research!

The iGentleman
Jul 27, 2012, 08:44 AM
I was not making fun of android users, what I'm saying is macrumors had to make a seperate section for all the people that feel they need to discuss android on a MAC forum... I'm not saying all but many are pissed of as hell that we don't like what "they" like. It's pretty sad

I don't think it's that they're pissed off, more so that some people have this "my way is the only way" attitude. Despite my current preference, I still think iOS is a decent platform for some people. It just isn't a good platform for me, because I am a bit demanding when it comes to my smartphone, and it just falls short in too many categories. For someone else who may not be as demanding, it may be just fine for them. I have a top of the line Toshiba ultrabook, but some people can get by with a celeron powered computer. Some people simply don't need as much, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Zaft
Jul 27, 2012, 08:48 AM
Ok, I'll go through it again. Obviously people didn't understand my original post, and now I'm not "knowledgeable" enough. So even with the notification LED AND the status bar icons, AND the drop down notification shade in the lockscreen AND shortcuts from the lockscreen to any 4 apps (built in features), it still does not solve the problem of immediately seeing what app is notifying you AND what they are saying (e.g. one line of the email). Like I said, I like to see my phone buzz on my desk and without even touching it, know if I have to answer a notification or not (by knowing who is messaging me, and what they're saying, etc.). And if I have a security lock on android I can't see anything until I unlock it (and if that's what you prefer for security, that's great for you, but people usually don't start out their emails with credit card numbers and sub nuclear codes, so anybody can read the first 5 words of my emails if they want). And "missed it!" as far as the description states, only gives you the number of missed events (i.e. one "dropbox" notification, two "Whatsapp" notifications, etc.) so this is hardly a full solution. And again, I really wouldn't care to install all this crap so that the main notifications works half decently. All this means is that Android stock notifications can't do what the iPhone does (which you may or may not like - not the point), and that is one main reason why I didn't care for the S3. But people will fly into a rage if you say that you didn't like their OS, and call you stupid, and dumb, and lazy, and all that. But whatever! I did my research!

I had my run with android when i got bored of IOS. After 3 android phones later i was back with IOS. Main reasons being i didnt use widgets as much as i though, phone would get laggy, and alot of things i had to download because the stock OS couldent do it.

----------

I don't think it's that they're pissed off, more so that some people have this "my way is the only way" attitude. Despite my current preference, I still think iOS is a decent platform for some people. It just isn't a good platform for me, because I am a bit demanding when it comes to my smartphone, and it just falls short in too many categories. For someone else who may not be as demanding, it may be just fine for them. I have a top of the line Toshiba ultrabook, but some people can get by with a celeron powered computer. Some people simply don't need as much, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Exaclty, and then comes the name calling, " i sheep, your a simple/stupid person,"

seriously its getting pretty bad..

The iGentleman
Jul 27, 2012, 09:00 AM
I had my run with android when i got bored of IOS. After 3 android phones later i was back with IOS. Main reasons being i didnt use widgets as much as i though, phone would get laggy, and alot of things i had to download because the stock OS couldent do it.[COLOR="#808080"]
What device was that?

Exaclty, and then comes the name calling, " i sheep, your a simple/stupid person,"

seriously its getting pretty bad..

It goes both ways though. I see iOS fans all the time calling names. When I get asked about phones on Facebook, every time I recommend an Android device, some iPhone fan jumps in and starts name calling and acting crazy...simply because I didn't recommend their favorite phone lol. Go figure.

Zaft
Jul 27, 2012, 09:04 AM
What device was that?

It goes both ways though. I see iOS fans all the time calling names. When I get asked about phones on Facebook, every time I recommend an Android device, some iPhone fan jumps in and starts name calling and acting crazy...simply because I didn't recommend their favorite phone lol. Go figure.

it does go both ways. its just annoying when it happens on an apple website.

The Phones i had were Droid x, htc thunderbolt, and lastly htc incredible 2.

The iGentleman
Jul 27, 2012, 09:14 AM
it does go both ways. its just annoying when it happens on an apple website.
Well it's only normal that people will want to compare 1 high-end phone to another, and since there's only 1 iPhone, it's going to be compared to other top phones (typically and Android phone since it's the closest competitor). It's when people become irrational that the problems occur.

The Phones i had were Droid x, htc thunderbolt, and lastly htc incredible 2.
All of those phones are quite dated. The Droid X came out two year ago, the Thunderbolt was a year old when it was released (it's the same phone as the EVO but with lte instead of wimax), and the dinc2 had old internals at its launch. None of those phones were all that impressive. The Droid X was decent for when it came out, but that's about it. The other two on the list were bad purchases to begin with, as they were already quite dated at their release. Old phones are hardly indicative of the state of the platform today. Much has changed since the 2010 releases (yes I know the dinc2 was released in 2011, but it's guts were all 2010).

Zaft
Jul 27, 2012, 09:18 AM
Well it's only normal that people will want to compare 1 high-end phone to another, and since there's only 1 iPhone, it's going to be compared to other top phones (typically and Android phone since it's the closest competitor). It's when people become irrational that the problems occur.

All of those phones are quite dated. The Droid X came out two year ago, the Thunderbolt was a year old when it was released (it's the same phone as the EVO but with lte instead of wimax), and the dinc2 had old internals at its launch. None of those phones were all that impressive. The Droid X was decent for when it came out, but that's about it. The other two on the list were bad purchases to begin with, as they were already quite dated at their release. Old phones are hardly indicative of the state of the platform today. Much has changed since the 2010 releases (yes I know the dinc2 was released in 2011, but it's guts were all 2010).

Thats probably true, but I was so fed up with it that i doubt ill be going back.
Im sure they are better now but just get annoying switching back and forth. About 75% of my family has IOS so its just easier to communicate with everyone be it facetime ot imessage. :)

The iGentleman
Jul 27, 2012, 09:26 AM
Thats probably true, but I was so fed up with it that i doubt ill be going back.
Im sure they are better now but just get annoying switching back and forth. About 75% of my family has IOS so its just easier to communicate with everyone be it facetime ot imessage. :)

For me, iOS is a minimum of a year away (iOS 7) before I can even consider them for my day to day. For me it just falls short in way too many areas, and is too much of a compromise for me to move to. Now will the release of Jellybean, I feel the gap has widened. For example, Google Now has proven to be a VERY awesome app for my day to day life. It's even useful when I'm not actively using it. I wouldn't be willing to give that sort of functionality up, and I don't think we'll see Apple doing anything like that for at least another 2 years.

Zaft
Jul 27, 2012, 09:46 AM
For me, iOS is a minimum of a year away (iOS 7) before I can even consider them for my day to day. For me it just falls short in way too many areas, and is too much of a compromise for me to move to. Now will the release of Jellybean, I feel the gap has widened. For example, Google Now has proven to be a VERY awesome app for my day to day life. It's even useful when I'm not actively using it. I wouldn't be willing to give that sort of functionality up, and I don't think we'll see Apple doing anything like that for at least another 2 years.

That was a pretty cool thing when google now alerted you when to leave

The iGentleman
Jul 27, 2012, 10:22 AM
That was a pretty cool thing when google now alerted you when to leave

Yeah I am enamored with Google Now. I can't wait to see what they add to it in the future. On the other side, I hope Apple can put together something within a year that can compete with it because more competition brings even better products. The future is going to be very interesting as it pertains to technology.

Sensamic
Jul 27, 2012, 07:28 PM
Most of us are tech fans. If tomorrow Windows phone 8 blows iOS and android away you can bet Ill jump into it (but I hope this never happens).

IPhone is great. Ios is great. But not for the 2012 standards.

For example, Android has had voice commands and speech to text in my native languague (and many other languagues) for years. Compared that to Apple, which is adding new languagues in iOS 6 this fall. A bit too late maybe?

These are examples of what I mean by a true smartphone OS.

I hope iOS 7 adds other essential stuff, but thats in a whole years time... Giving Android even more time ahead on the race.

Honza
Jul 27, 2012, 09:05 PM
Most of us are tech fans. If tomorrow Windows phone 8 blows iOS and android away you can bet Ill jump into it (but I hope this never happens).

IPhone is great. Ios is great. But not for the 2012 standards.

For example, Android has had voice commands and speech to text in my native languague (and many other languagues) for years. Compared that to Apple, which is adding new languagues in iOS 6 this fall. A bit too late maybe?

These are examples of what I mean by a true smartphone OS.

I hope iOS 7 adds other essential stuff, but thats in a whole years time... Giving Android even more time ahead on the race.

While this is true that Apple usually adds extra features later than say Google, I think it also doesn't give Apple credit for the level of polish that goes into its products. My opinion is that generally apple has more reliable software/hardware (ie it just works) and for me often I place more value on that than on having a bunch of incremental features beyond the basics.

RMXO
Jul 27, 2012, 09:16 PM

We discuss Android because this forum is "Alternatives to iOS & iOS devices" which mean anything but iOS. It's pretty sad to see that some iOS users don't understand that.

Zaft
Jul 27, 2012, 09:19 PM
We discuss Android because this forum is "Alternatives to iOS & iOS devices" which mean anything but iOS. It's pretty sad to see that some iOS users don't understand that.

The section was just made for that reason...:rolleyes: this thread was in the iphone section before.:eek:

The iGentleman
Jul 27, 2012, 09:27 PM
While this is true that Apple usually adds extra features later than say Google, I think it also doesn't give Apple credit for the level of polish that goes into its products.
I have to disagree with you here. Take Apple's notifications for example. To put it bluntly, they are still awful. It isn't polished at all, it's incomplete. It doesn't even give you a static notification, so if you don't address the notification at the time it comes in, you can possibly forget it's there....which defeats the whole purpose of having a notification center to begin with. Siri is also a good example. Siri was full of issues, but we kept getting the "it's still in beta" excuse...yet it was touting as the "killer fetaure" in the 4S.
Another more recent example is Apple Maps. There's nothing polished about it at all. It is so devoid of information it's sad. There is so much in Apple Maps that should be labeled but is not. It is an incomplete project. There's nothing polished about it.

My opinion is that generally apple has more reliable software/hardware (ie it just works) and for me often I place more value on that than on having a bunch of incremental features beyond the basics.
I have to disagree. iOS has bugs just like any other OS. Just a quick look around the iPhone forum illustrates that. As for the hardware, the iPhone has had problems just like any other phone has. Cracking, defective home buttons, proximity sensor issues, and reception problems have all been defects seen in iPhones over the last couple years. They are not infallible, and have their own issues just like any other manufacturer.

fox10078
Jul 27, 2012, 09:32 PM
I have to disagree with you here. Take Apple's notifications for example. To put it bluntly, they are still awful. It isn't polished at all, it's incomplete. It doesn't even give you a static notification, so if you don't address the notification at the time it comes in, you can possibly forget it's there....which defeats the whole purpose of having a notification center to begin with. Siri is also a good example. Siri was full of issues, but we kept getting the "it's still in beta" excuse...yet it was touting as the "killer fetaure" in the 4S.
Another more recent example is Apple Maps. There's nothing polished about it at all. It is so devoid of information it's sad. There is so much in Apple Maps that should be labeled but is not. It is an incomplete project. There's nothing polished about it.

I have to disagree. iOS has bugs just like any other OS. Just a quick look around the iPhone forum illustrates that. As for the hardware, the iPhone has had problems just like any other phone has. Cracking, defective home buttons, proximity sensor issues, and reception problems have all been defects seen in iPhones over the last couple years. They are not infallible, and have their own issues just like any other manufacturer.

The whole maps thing is making me think apple is becoming to complacent in their position.

Honza
Jul 27, 2012, 09:33 PM

I'm not saying that apple is perfect, but rather I think it's a good generalization. Yes, Siri was a beta feature, and it was very surprising for apple. But consumer reports regularly includes apple products among the most reliable consumer electronics, for example. I would have to disagree with the notifications. Yeah, the notification, "goes away" from the lockscreen when you open it, but it's always in the notification center. Android doesn't even have it in the lock screen to begin with (to the effect I stated previously), so the only real difference is the little icon in the status bar on android. I don't think it's incomplete, just a different way of doing things. I could call Android incomplete for the lack of adequate lockscreen notifications, but I don't think it applies to either. Just a different philosophy I guess. I prefer iOS's way of notifications, personally.

The iGentleman
Jul 27, 2012, 10:29 PM
I'm not saying that apple is perfect, but rather I think it's a good generalization. Yes, Siri was a beta feature, and it was very surprising for apple. But consumer reports regularly includes apple products among the most reliable consumer electronics, for example. I would have to disagree with the notifications. Yeah, the notification, "goes away" from the lockscreen when you open it, but it's always in the notification center. Android doesn't even have it in the lock screen to begin with (to the effect I stated previously), so the only real difference is the little icon in the status bar on android. I don't think it's incomplete, just a different way of doing things. I could call Android incomplete for the lack of adequate lockscreen notifications, but I don't think it applies to either. Just a different philosophy I guess. I prefer iOS's way of notifications, personally.
But if you did call it that you'd be wrong. No matter if I choose to address a notification at a later point, it is still available while I am on my lockscreen. Now if you want to nitpick and say you want info displayed on the lockscreen, then you can do that too. The difference is, in iOS if I don't address the notification immediately, then I have to remember to address it later as I will not have any sort of indicator to remind me (unless that app has an icon that shows a number, and I happen to be looking at that icon). That is a problem. The whole point of a notification system is to notify you. It does no good if it only notifies me once and goes away. If I'm watching a video, often times I won't stop to respond to a text message. On the Android platform, when I finish with that video, I'll still have an icon at the top of my screen that tells me I have a text waiting for me. On iOS, if I didn't address that text when it came in, there is nothing to remind me I have a text message. I either have to remember I have a text, and then go to it, or hope I happen to the the text app icon with a number on it. That is an incomplete solution and it is in great need of improvement. If I have to make sure I remember my notifications, then the notification system has failed.

Honza
Jul 28, 2012, 08:34 AM
But if you did call it that you'd be wrong. No matter if I choose to address a notification at a later point, it is still available while I am on my lockscreen. Now if you want to nitpick and say you want info displayed on the lockscreen, then you can do that too. The difference is, in iOS if I don't address the notification immediately, then I have to remember to address it later as I will not have any sort of indicator to remind me (unless that app has an icon that shows a number, and I happen to be looking at that icon). That is a problem. The whole point of a notification system is to notify you. It does no good if it only notifies me once and goes away. If I'm watching a video, often times I won't stop to respond to a text message. On the Android platform, when I finish with that video, I'll still have an icon at the top of my screen that tells me I have a text waiting for me. On iOS, if I didn't address that text when it came in, there is nothing to remind me I have a text message. I either have to remember I have a text, and then go to it, or hope I happen to the the text app icon with a number on it. That is an incomplete solution and it is in great need of improvement. If I have to make sure I remember my notifications, then the notification system has failed.

I forgot to mention the badges that serve as reminders that you have notifications. But in any case, it's just semantics at this point, and who thinks what is incomplete is irrelevant. Some people prefer iOS style and some prefer Android.

Sensamic
Jul 28, 2012, 11:42 AM
JB will show more info on each notification, just like iOS, plus having options to call, snooze, share, comment and anything the developer wants.

Vegastouch
Jul 28, 2012, 11:49 AM
There are apps you can get for notifications on the lockscreen. Im not sure what you want to see but there is:
Simply lockscreen, Go Locker-ICS which is $1.00,lockscreen message (which looks like it is in chinese, dont know if it is in english, Executive assistant has a bunch of things and im not sure if it will put things on the lockscreen and it is $6.99,Notifier Pro plus which costs $2.63, there is one called WP7 Notifier that looks just like the Windows tiles($2.62), there is even one called iPhone notifications.

My point is, there are apps, you just have to look for what you want if it is out there. Just type in lockscreen info in the play store and those will come up.

Zaft
Jul 28, 2012, 12:47 PM
There are apps you can get for notifications on the lockscreen. Im not sure what you want to see but there is:
Simply lockscreen, Go Locker-ICS which is $1.00,lockscreen message (which looks like it is in chinese, dont know if it is in english, Executive assistant has a bunch of things and im not sure if it will put things on the lockscreen and it is $6.99,Notifier Pro plus which costs $2.63, there is one called WP7 Notifier that looks just like the Windows tiles($2.62), there is even one called iPhone notifications.

My point is, there are apps, you just have to look for what you want if it is out there. Just type in lockscreen info in the play store and those will come up.

I think that's what turns some people off. That in order to get some notifications in the lock screen you need a buy an app depending on what skin of android you have.

Vegastouch
Jul 28, 2012, 12:50 PM
I think that's what turns some people off. That in order to get some notifications in the lock screen you need a buy an app depending on what skin of android you have.

Some cost, some dont. Its no different than iTunes. Some apps cost there, some dont. I dont see the big deal and i may be wrong but dont you have to jailbreak your iPhone to get those on the lockscreen?

I know i did back in the day.

Zaft
Jul 28, 2012, 01:33 PM
Some cost, some dont. Its no different than iTunes. Some apps cost there, some dont. I dont see the big deal and i may be wrong but dont you have to jailbreak your iPhone to get those on the lockscreen?

I know i did back in the day.

Maybe before ios5, but after ios5 you had all notifications on the lock screen

Honza
Jul 28, 2012, 04:56 PM

I don't know all of those apps, but I did look up several of them, and I know that they do not put the notifications (from what app and what the notification is) on the lockscreen. So it seems that you don't know what those apps do, but rather just typed in notifications on the market and spouted out a bunch of apps. Not really very helpful.

batting1000
Jul 28, 2012, 05:02 PM
I don't know all of those apps, but I did look up several of them, and I know that they do not put the notifications (from what app and what the notification is) on the lockscreen. So it seems that you don't know what those apps do, but rather just typed in notifications on the market and spouted out a bunch of apps. Not really very helpful.

In a sense they do put notifications on the lock screen but the whole premise of most of those apps are that they are alternate lock screens. They don't put notifications onto the stock lock screen and replace the stock lock screen when enabled.

Vegastouch
Jul 28, 2012, 06:24 PM
In a sense they do put notifications on the lock screen but the whole premise of most of those apps are that they are alternate lock screens. They don't put notifications onto the stock lock screen and replace the stock lock screen when enabled.

Did you look at the apps? Yes they do. I just dont what he wants. A number badge by his SMS and missed calls or to be able to read a couple sentences from an email?
I think i would download a free one or spend $1.00 and try it. Maybe read the comments first by others who have tried it and liked it to see exactly what it does.
One advantage of Android :D

And yes, some put custom lock screens on if you like that sort of thing. I know you dont, but some do.

Rennir
Jul 28, 2012, 06:58 PM

What's your obsession with stock? Although I guess that's logical for someone who has always used iOS. One of the biggest disparities between iOS and Android is customization. And I daresay that if you don't like customization, Android isn't for you. If you get a high end Android phone, you are meant to customize it. That's the whole point. Stock may be great and all, and stock may not compare to iOS at times. But after you customize it, you get that much more from Android.

Sensamic
Jul 28, 2012, 07:13 PM

I though you defended the use of 3rd party apps. Every time iGentleman told you about Android stock features that iOS doesn't have you always mentioned 3rd party apps like Bump...

Vegastouch
Jul 28, 2012, 07:35 PM
I though you defended the use of 3rd party apps. Every time iGentleman told you about Android stock features that iOS doesn't have you always mentioned 3rd party apps like Bump...

Like i said, an excuse for everything :D

batting1000
Jul 28, 2012, 08:55 PM
What's your obsession with stock? Although I guess that's logical for someone who has always used iOS. One of the biggest disparities between iOS and Android is customization. And I daresay that if you don't like customization, Android isn't for you. If you get a high end Android phone, you are meant to customize it. That's the whole point. Stock may be great and all, and stock may not compare to iOS at times. But after you customize it, you get that much more from Android.

I've had 3 Android devices for a total of 2 and a half years. I haven't "always used iOS".

----------

Yeah, for features iOS didn't have built in.

Honza
Jul 28, 2012, 09:06 PM

What's the obsession with customizing? By which I mean, if the stock phone has the features you want, wouldn't you prefer it over a phone you have to install 3rd party apps to get the same functionality? Customizing for the sake of customizing isn't a feature, it's the end features that matter. And if you have to do it yourself I would say thats a negative. I mean it's like who gets home from ikea and is like "oh man I can't wait to spend an hour putting this together!"

jeffe
Jul 28, 2012, 09:27 PM
What's the obsession with customizing? By which I mean, if the stock phone has the features you want, wouldn't you prefer it over a phone you have to install 3rd party apps to get the same functionality? Customizing for the sake of customizing isn't a feature, it's the end features that matter. And if you have to do it yourself I would say thats a negative. I mean it's like who gets home from ikea and is like "oh man I can't wait to spend an hour putting this together!"

yes and no. A lot of people like to personalize and make the phone there own. Ideally the phone has the features you want to customize available w/o a third party app but third party apps can fill in the gaps and can also speed up innovation.

Honza
Jul 28, 2012, 09:32 PM
yes and no. A lot of people like to personalize and make the phone there own. Ideally the phone has the features you want to customize available w/o a third party app but third party apps can fill in the gaps and can also speed up innovation.

And that's what makes sense, it just seems like some people want to fiddle with their phones for the sake of fiddling with it.

Rennir
Jul 28, 2012, 10:23 PM
What's the obsession with customizing?

There is no "obsession" with customization--not in the way I used the word to address batting1000. His comments implied that customization, meaning anything that's not stock, is bad. There is nothing wrong with staying with stock. The same way there is nothing wrong with wanting to customize your phone.

By which I mean, if the stock phone has the features you want, wouldn't you prefer it over a phone you have to install 3rd party apps to get the same functionality?

I just want to point out that iOS relies much more on 3rd party apps than Android, hence why iOS apps make more money...

If you want to continue this train of thought, then you'll effectively be arguing for Android, which means I'll have to argue for iOS :p

Customizing for the sake of customizing isn't a feature, it's the end features that matter. And if you have to do it yourself I would say thats a negative. I mean it's like who gets home from ikea and is like "oh man I can't wait to spend an hour putting this together!"
I never said customization was a feature. It's more like a hobby. You know how some people like souping up their cars? Same thing with Android. Who are you to tell them that it's a "bad thing"? Sure, you may not like it, but at least have enough awareness for your surroundings to realize that not everyone has the same interests as you.

I've had 3 Android devices for a total of 2 and a half years. I haven't "always used iOS".
Sorry for the assumption. Regardless, my point still stands.

Wrathwitch
Aug 1, 2012, 09:19 AM

Using myself as a prime example I will tell you that just something as simple as easily fetching wallpapers and ringtones/sms notifications for free is the start. I am not flashing any ROMs or haven't rooted my GS3, HOWEVER, one small simple feature I am enjoying the hell out of, is being able to put my icons wherever I want on the screen. Therefore I can have a decent amount of apps on the screen AND still enjoy the nice wallpaper which compliments my phone. Yes, that is right! The fact that I can have all of my apps tucked away in an app drawer and not cluttering up my "desk top" is very enjoyable and makes my phone feel unique to me with very little effort.

Customizing your phone doesn't always revolve around launchers and ROMs.

On a side note, who would have known I would like my back button so much now?? I was helping my mom with my old iP4 (now her new iP4) and I was like... where is the damn back button??

Sensamic
Aug 1, 2012, 02:19 PM
On a side note, who would have known I would like my back button so much now?? I was helping my mom with my old iP4 (now her new iP4) and I was like... where is the damn back button??

Yeah. The back button is easily one of the main virtues of Android. It's so easy and fast to exit apps or go back to a previous one.

I hated using the hardware home button to exit apps in iOS.

Apple should introduce a capacitive button on the iPhone. Just do it!