Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rjsen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2002
Cupertino, CA
A couple questions about the SuperDrive in the new TiBooks:

Who is the manufacturer? The specs don't quite match up to those of units from Toshiba, Pioneer, or Matsush*ta.

Can the drive write and erase DVD-RWs? I know the desktop drives can even though Apple doesn't mention it, but I couldn't find any info on the notebook drive.

I'm trying to decide whether it's worth $200 and a couple weeks to get the SuperDrive model, or if I should just go with the combo. Thanks in advance.

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Re: Questions about TiBook SuperDrive

Originally posted by rjsen
Can the drive write and erase DVD-RWs? I know the desktop drives can even though Apple doesn't mention it, but I couldn't find any info on the notebook drive.

I'm trying to decide whether it's worth $200 and a couple weeks to get the SuperDrive model, or if I should just go with the combo. Thanks in advance.

Sorry, I don't know the manufacture.

I'm pretty sure the powerbook can burn DVD-RWs just like the desktop machines. The DVD-RW burning ability usually comes with the drive, so I'd say yes.

$200 is worth is for me since I don't currently have a DVD burner, and I plan on using the powerbook as my main computer. If you plan on getting a desktop with a superdrive, then you have a tougher decision since you'll already/will have a superdrive, and having two superdrives might not make sense to you. If you don't really need a superdrive, then get the combo one. It reads DVDs and burns CD-RWs faster than the superdrive, and you save some money, and you have a faster DVD burner in your iMac or PowerMac.

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
I'm guessing the manufacturer is Panasonic... but that's Matsushita, and you say they don't match up...

Anyways, I'm guessing it's Panasonic because there was an article just last week about Panasonic making a slot-loading DVD burner.

irmongoose

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.