Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tg9413

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2011
I bought my 2012 MBA off craigslist brand new sealed, so it didn't come with any receipt. Anyone know if I am still eligible for the free upgrade to ML? I saw at some point of the process it requires to upload proof of purchase.
Thanks for the help in advance.

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I bought my 2012 MBA off craigslist brand new sealed, so it didn't come with any recipe.
No recipe for cake or cookies or casserole? I'm sure it didn't come with a receipt, either.
Anyone know if I am still eligible for the free upgrade to ML?
No.
Customers who purchase a qualifying new Mac computer from the Apple Online Store, an Apple Retail Store, or an Apple Authorized Reseller — or an Apple Certified Refurbished computer from the Apple Online Store — on or after July 26, 2012, that does not include OS X Mountain Lion can upgrade to OS X Mountain Lion for free.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
Hope the savings for going on Craigslist was worth it, which is to say if you got more than $20 off buying it at retail, you're still good even if you buy ML on the app store.

tg9413

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2011
well ya...guess i have to buy it then. Got the MBA 13/i5/256gb/4gb for 1299, so i guess i am still in the profit zone :x thx for the inputs

Last edited:

tg9413

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2011
just a follow up who may face a similar issue.
I just got an code from apple to use on app store.
Just used Craigslist as the retailer when you filled in the request form, and I wasn't required to submit any proof of purchase.
This will probably work on purchase from ebay also.

Enjoy ML~
p.s fixed the spelling for cooking thread cap :x

saleemyas3

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2012
I was never required to put in any proof of purchase. from what i've heard, as long as you put the serial number correctly then you should be good.

RightMACatU

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2012
well ya...guess i have to buy it then. Got the MBA 13/i5/256gb/4gb for 1299, so i guess i am still in the profit zone :x thx for the inputs

Ohhh oh... Are you sure it's a 2012?
Best Buy Canada has been offering these same 2011 specs for that exact same price.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
like others said, you only need the receipt if outside the US. Now, if you enter the serial and it says you need to provide proof of purchase.....you may have been taken or gotten a stolen one. I messed up a few numbers in the serial the first time so it asked for proof of purchase....went back a screen and realized my error and it verified it w/o proof of purchase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.