Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hilldog1378

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
Have a 15-inch Early 2011 MBP with the 2.3 ghz i7. Have a Apple TV gen 3 hooked into a Denon AVR 2311 which is hooked up to a panasonic 55" GT 30. When I select airplay from the drop down menu, I get audio to the setup, but no video. Just a black screen that. eventually it will start to play the screen saver. The only way I get video would be if I was to play a video in iTunes, it then disables my display, showing an airplay symbol.

Is there anything I am doing wrong or should try to get it to work right?

norrismantooth

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2010
Dallas, TX
This is how Airplay is supposed to work. You can only play videos in iTunes. If the video is on your TV, why do you also need it on your display?

hilldog1378

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
watching videos on the web for 10.8, they show airplay mirroring whatever is on the desktop. That way I do not have to keep plugging in my hdmi cable.

jlrathke

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2011
This is how Airplay is supposed to work. You can only play videos in iTunes. If the video is on your TV, why do you also need it on your display?

I don't think this is quite right, because I could Airplay videos through iTunes with both Snow Leopard and Lion. With Mountain Lion, anything that is on my screen (MBP) is mirrored onto my TV through ATV.

Jerry

ugp

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2008
Inverness, Florida
I can put my entire desktop on my TV via AirPlay through the AppleTV. It should work. But I am having different issues with mine.

hilldog1378

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
update

Just tried it now with the apple TV in my bedroom (Gen 2) and I get the same thing. All I get on the TV is a black screen. If I tell display to match the Apple TV, the res on my laptop display go way down, but nothing still shows up on the TV. I don't need to have beta software installed on my apple tv do I?

Red Fuji

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2012
USA-Pacifc Standard Time
Airplay to AVR

Ok- i know this thread is almost a year old but i decided to resurrect it because i been searching for a solution to that same exact problem.

i want to Airplay a movie (not from itunes BTW) by routing it from my ipad to the AVR. The speakers and TV screen are connected to the AVR. The AVR is hard wired to the router. The Ipad is connected to router via Wi-Fi. So both the AVR and Ipad are on the same network. so the signal flows as follows: Ipad to AVR to TV/Speakers. The problem is the i only get audio and not video via Airplay.
Do i have to hard wire the Ipad to the AVR to get both sound and picture? but i dont have the wire for that setup (30 pin to HDMI). How do i get this to work with Airplay or other easy way. BTW i tried Apple TV 2 with no success.

norrismantooth

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2010
Dallas, TX
Your receiver must be Airplay compatible to work in the configuration you're attempting to use. Otherwise, plug your Apple TV into receiver, not TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.