PDA

View Full Version : Safari 6.0

Tech198
Jul 25, 2012, 07:55 PM
Has anyone updated to this version yet ?

Apple has removed the "Empty Cache" menu entry from the Safari Menu, and the associated keyboard shortcut (Command-Option-E), no longer works.

I used this all the time.

MacDawg
Jul 25, 2012, 07:59 PM
I upgraded

The empty cache is still found under the Develop menu with a shortcut
I didn't try it, but it is there

jji7skyline
Jul 25, 2012, 11:14 PM
I've just installed it, and it's a bit ugly TBH. The centred tabs are a bit annoying.

Pndrgnsvc
Jul 26, 2012, 07:30 AM
I miss the Appearance pane. Why was that removed?

And some extensions no longer work. One that immediately comes to mind is: All Pages Zoom.

And I too find the centered tabs distracting.

Just my 2˘…

Nameci
Jul 26, 2012, 07:32 AM
I did software update, and it was not included. Any idea where I can dl it?

Pndrgnsvc
Jul 26, 2012, 11:45 AM
Nameci,

You must first have 10.7.4. Are you using that?

Nameci
Jul 26, 2012, 09:20 PM
Nameci,

You must first have 10.7.4. Are you using that?

Yes I have 10.7.4... I wonder why it is not included in the software update. I have Safari 5.2 if that matters...

Pndrgnsvc
Jul 27, 2012, 06:39 AM
Humm…

I thought the version prior to 6.0 was 5.1.7.

Perhaps a call/email to Apple Care or a visit to the genius at the local Apple store.

Also, reinstalling the Combo 10.7.4 updater should put things to right.

Tech198
Jul 27, 2012, 07:11 AM
I upgraded

The empty cache is still found under the Develop menu with a shortcut
I didn't try it, but it is there

ok thx. Unfortunately, there is no longer any popup confirming this, therefore, how do you know its clearing the cache ?

I would have felt a bit more easier *knowing* there this is whats its doing via a "confirmation" like previous Safari versions.

Nameci
Jul 27, 2012, 06:43 PM
Humm…

I thought the version prior to 6.0 was 5.1.7.

Perhaps a call/email to Apple Care or a visit to the genius at the local Apple store.

Also, reinstalling the Combo 10.7.4 updater should put things to right.

I have installed Safari 5.2 beta. I have reinstalled the combo update but still software update would not give me the Safari 6.

Any ideas why?

ivnj
Jul 27, 2012, 10:20 PM
My mini came with safari 6 installed already.

Pndrgnsvc
Jul 28, 2012, 05:57 AM
Nameci,

Sorry my help was not. Perhaps others will chime in with a solution, but I fear my next suggestion may exacerbate the issue, and of course, "first, do no harm".

Still, a call or visit to Apple may yield an easy fix, so if possible, I encourage that.

MacManiac76
Jul 28, 2012, 01:35 PM
I have installed Safari 5.2 beta. I have reinstalled the combo update but still software update would not give me the Safari 6.

Any ideas why?

I was on Safari 5.2 also and having the exact same problem. Software Update would not ever show Safari 6 no matter what I did. I tried deleting receipts and even tried installing the developer preview but nothing worked. Finally I ran the 5.2 installer again and that brought me back to Safari 5.1.4 and then finally the Safari 6 update showed for me in Software Update. For some reason you have to be on Safari 5.1.x for the Safari 6 update to show in Software Update.

Good luck. It was driving me crazy too, especially since Apple removed the downloads of newer Safari version from Apple.com.

Nameci
Jul 28, 2012, 01:43 PM
I was on Safari 5.2 also and having the exact same problem. Software Update would not ever show Safari 6 no matter what I did. I tried deleting receipts and even tried installing the developer preview but nothing worked. Finally I ran the 5.2 installer again and that brought me back to Safari 5.1.4 and then finally the Safari 6 update showed for me in Software Update. For some reason you have to be on Safari 5.1.x for the Safari 6 update to show in Software Update.

Good luck. It was driving me crazy too, especially since Apple removed the downloads of newer Safari version from Apple.com.

Problem is I don't have the 5.2 installer anymore, I might have trashed it a while back.

AppleDApp
Jul 28, 2012, 01:49 PM

Any ideas why?

I had the same issue. I downloaded Safari 6 from here (http://www.downloadcrew.com/article/27948-apple_safari) and it worked.

Nameci
Jul 28, 2012, 02:06 PM
I had the same issue. I downloaded Safari 6 from here (http://www.downloadcrew.com/article/27948-apple_safari) and it worked.

Thanks for the tip. That fixed it.

AppleDApp
Jul 28, 2012, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the tip. That fixed it.

Glad it worked enjoy the new oversize tabs. I'm disappointed safari in Lion can't do tab sync.

MacManiac76
Jul 28, 2012, 05:11 PM
Glad it worked enjoy the new oversize tabs. I'm disappointed safari in Lion can't do tab sync.

The oversized tabs and omnibar were already in Safari 5.2 so it's not really that much different to upgrade to 6.

gnipun
Jul 30, 2012, 09:13 AM
I don't like how Safari 6.0 doesn't always show the download speed of a file (in the Download Window thing).
Is there an option somewhere that could enable it to always show the speed?

Aug 31, 2012, 03:09 PM
I don't like how Safari 6.0 doesn't always show the download speed of a file (in the Download Window thing).

I don't think so.

gnipun
Sep 5, 2012, 10:08 AM
I don't think so.

Oh, that sucks.
Thanks for looking!

MacManiac76
Sep 5, 2012, 01:22 PM

I just use iStat Menus to show the download speed in my OS X Menu Bar. Much more accurate anyway.