Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

badboyz31

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
Right now, I am thinking of purchasing a new iPod touch after I get full-refund for my "fake" iPod touch 3G 8GB.

I saw that the market now is filled with iPod touch 4G white edition shipped with iOS 5 for less than US$199 for 8GB. But as soon as I hit Macrumors, I found out that next-gen iPod touch a.k.a iPod touch 5G was rumored to be release in late September this year.

I had a question in mind, which could be more beneficial for the time being ? Purchasing the current cheap 4G iPod touch or wait for the long-waited 5G iPod ?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Wait. The iPod Touch 4G is on its last iOS cycle. It will very likely not be getting iOS 7. The next iPod Touch should be coming out in September or October.

badboyz31

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
it might be true that I should probably wait for it. But i think you should know that apple products are released about 4-5 months late in my country (SEA). For example, the 4G white iPod touch was released together with iPhone 4Sby my local Apple authorized store in Febuary 2012.

Moreover, iDevices in my countries are quite expensive due to massive import duties, they could cost me around 75% more expensive than in Singapore, my neighbouring country. I see that in you could get unlocked iPhone 4S for about US$499 in Australia but my sibling purchased it here for $799 (contract with local GSM operatior)

So sadly, I guessed I had to purchase something which is a generation late in order to get best price.

However, technically speaking, does the iPod touch 5th gen really worth waiting ? I mean, does Apple would really update the specs of the next-gen iPod touch ?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
It really is worth waiting for. The current iPod Touch is two, almost, three years old. It is the second slowest iDevice and possibly the worst for gaming as well that can still be bought.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Right now, I am thinking of purchasing a new iPod touch after I get full-refund for my "fake" iPod touch 3G 8GB.

I saw that the market now is filled with iPod touch 4G white edition shipped with iOS 5 for less than US$199 for 8GB. But as soon as I hit Macrumors, I found out that next-gen iPod touch a.k.a iPod touch 5G was rumored to be release in late September this year.

I had a question in mind, which could be more beneficial for the time being ? Purchasing the current cheap 4G iPod touch or wait for the long-waited 5G iPod ?
Although I doubt that we'll see a new iPod Touch model, I recommend waiting. If no new model is announced then I recommend finding an iPhone 4 with a bad ESN and use it as an iPod Touch Pro. Because of the bad ESN it can never be used as a phone, but it makes a terrific IPod Touch.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
iPhone 4's with ESNs are only used on CDMA networks. The only CDMA networks that carrier iPhones are in the US. The OP does not live in the US. It would be rather expensive to purchase a bad ESN iPhone 4 and have it shipped overseas. If the OP want to buy an iDevice for gaming, the iPhone 4 is not a good choice.

badboyz31

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
Actually, I'm looking for a cheap iPod only for Facetime, but I guess I'll wait for the next 6 months to see if iPod touch 5G would be cheaper.

However, could anyone tell me how bad could the iPod Touch 4G in terms of gaming ? I mean, compared to iPad 2 (A5 + 512MB RAM vs A4 + 256MB RAM) because I ever saw my one of my friend playing NOVA 3 and MC 3 on it.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The iPhone 3Gs is better at gaming then the iPod Touch 4. The iPad 2 is much, much better then the iPod Touch 4.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
Wait. Definitely wait.

It's capable of playing games, but you won't get any of the fancy effects like on the iPhone 4S / iPad 2, etc.

The next model should be really good. Taller display, A5 chip, better battery life, etc.

badboyz31

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
The iPhone 3Gs is better at gaming then the iPod Touch 4. The iPad 2 is much, much better then the iPod Touch 4.

Well, I got an unused iPhone 3Gs, does it truly better at gaming than the iPod touch 4 ?

It doesn't make sense at all. But if it's true, it'll be another reason to just stick to iPhone 3Gs and let alone iPod touch.

bloutrein

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
Durban
Wait until autumn for the next generation - you might even get an iPad Mini for a comparable price (instead of an iPod Touch 4G).

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
Wait until autumn for the next generation - you might even get an iPad Mini for a comparable price (instead of an iPod Touch 4G).

But wait? Carrying an iPod Touch 4G around is easy. It's small enough to fit in a pocket. The "proposed" iPad mini, if it does become a reality, will be a lot larger and bulkier which means portability will suffer immensely.

MacIke

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2003
The Frigid Wasteland of MN
I would wait.

Even if you will not get the 5G in Sept. you know what it will be. I was going to buy one this time last year and decided to wait for the 5G. It never came, I still have not bought. I will buy the 5g regardless of what is in it.

The price should also drop on used 4g even more.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Well, I got an unused iPhone 3Gs, does it truly better at gaming than the iPod touch 4 ?

It doesn't make sense at all. But if it's true, it'll be another reason to just stick to iPhone 3Gs and let alone iPod touch.

Yes. The iPhone 3Gs and the iPod Touch 4 have the exact same GPU. On the iPod Touch it is underpowered for the screen resolution, but on the 3Gs it is powerful. Nearly every graphical benchmark shows this to be true. If you can, use the 3Gs for a few months until the next iPod Touch comes out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.