PDA

View Full Version : Apple Releases Firmware to Activate PowerNap on 2011 MacBook Airs

MacRumors
Jul 25, 2012, 09:16 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/25/apple-releases-firmware-to-activate-powernap-on-2011-macbook-airs/)

One of the new features found in OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion is PowerNap. PowerNap was introduced at WWDC 2012 and allows your Mac to continue to perform tasks such as receiving email and updating software even when it's sleeping.

XMf4Fx4UTRU
Apple lists the full capabilities in this Knowledge Base document (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5394?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US). Capabilities include getting new Mail, syncing Calendar, Contact and Reminder changes, and more. When plugged into power, your Mac can download software updates and make backups with Time Capsule.

Apple only supports PowerNap on 2011 MacBook Airs and beyond as well as the 2012 Retina MacBook Pro. The capability should move over to more of Apple's laptops as Apple makes a full transition to SSD. Built-in flash storage is listed as one of the requirements of the technology. Apple just released a firmware update that enables this functionality in the 2011 MacBook Airs, while support for the Retina MacBook Pro is said to be "coming soon".

Article Link: Apple Releases Firmware to Activate PowerNap on 2011 MacBook Airs (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/25/apple-releases-firmware-to-activate-powernap-on-2011-macbook-airs/)

voyagerd
Jul 25, 2012, 09:17 PM
SNB gets some love!

daneoni
Jul 25, 2012, 09:17 PM
If you have a 2.5" SSD (Apple branded or not)...you can forget it.

MultiMediaWill
Jul 25, 2012, 09:18 PM
This is so ridiculous that it is still not activated on my Powerbook.

penajmz
Jul 25, 2012, 09:20 PM
Not on my rMBP yet! :mad:

Kariya
Jul 25, 2012, 09:20 PM
This is so ridiculous that it is still not activated on my Powerbook.

You don't have a Powerbook. Stop trying to be funny.

Raptura
Jul 25, 2012, 09:24 PM
Yet the rMBP gets no love.. :(

coolfilmaker
Jul 25, 2012, 09:25 PM
Can developers make powernap work with their applications too?

newdeal
Jul 25, 2012, 09:28 PM
Is there a real reason for this or is it just BS like many of the features left off older iphones? I can tolerate it on a mobile device but if they start leaving key features off of my computer for no reason (because lets face it even a core 2 duo has enough power to do any of these features) my 2010 imac will be my last mac

CyberBob859
Jul 25, 2012, 09:29 PM
Apple only supports PowerNap on 2011 MacBook Airs and beyond as well as the 2012 Retina MacBook Pro. The capability should move over to more of Apple's laptops as Apple makes a full transition to SSD. Built-in flash storage is listed as one of the requirements of the technology. Apple just released a firmware update that enables this functionality in the 2011 MacBook Airs.

Is this a new requirement? I thought PowerNap only required flash storage and SSD, and initially didn't state 2011 Airs or newer only.

ArtOfWarfare
Jul 25, 2012, 09:36 PM
No desktop love at all?

Mr. Retrofire
Jul 25, 2012, 09:37 PM
Yet the rMBP gets no love.. :(
Calm down, wait, then read this document:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5394?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Stridder44
Jul 25, 2012, 09:37 PM

I bet you're a blast at parties

If you have a 2.5" SSD...forget it.

Interesting. So essentially PowerNap only works on Macs with built-in flash storage?

sazivad
Jul 25, 2012, 09:38 PM
Can you go to the App Store to get these, or do you need to download them from the Knowledge Base article mentioned? (My computer's specs are here (http://cl.ly/IKjS).)

daneoni
Jul 25, 2012, 09:39 PM
Interesting. So essentially PowerNap only works on Macs with built-in flash storage?

Yup

denaliOnDubs
I was wondering where it was. I looked under energy earlier and couldn't find it

Mr. Retrofire
No desktop love at all?
Apple never said that Power Nap v1.0 supports Macintosh desktop computers.

atMac
Jul 25, 2012, 09:40 PM
Is this a new requirement? I thought PowerNap only required flash storage and SSD, and initially didn't state 2011 Airs or newer only.
Flash storage is SSD. That like saying it requires a Hard disk, and HDD. Same thing.

zemaker
Jul 25, 2012, 09:44 PM
MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012) - Coming soon

Just a tad bit odd how nothing is quiet smooth today when it comes to all the software updates.

thestickman
Jul 25, 2012, 09:45 PM
Not a fan of updating thru the app store app. Firmware updated without issue, thankfully.

Prodo123
Jul 25, 2012, 09:46 PM
Flash storage is SSD. That like saying it requires a Hard disk, and HDD. Same thing.

Nope. SSDs can also be composed of other solid-state memory technologies other than NAND flash, like DRAM.

Heston
Jul 25, 2012, 09:46 PM
I have a MacBook pro mid 2009 with ssd installed as main drive. Would this till work? I haven't seen any options in system settings to turn the feature on. Just wondering. Not sure yet how useful this would be

Prodo123
Jul 25, 2012, 09:48 PM
I have a MacBook pro mid 2009 with ssd installed as main drive. Would this till work? I haven't seen any options in system settings to turn the feature on. Just wondering. Not sure yet how useful this would be

No.
It's very disappointing that Power Nap only works on Macs with the blade-type SSDs.

CyberBob859
Jul 25, 2012, 09:50 PM

I understand that. It doesn't work on Late 2010 Macbook Air? It meets those requirements.

alexmack
Jul 25, 2012, 09:51 PM
grrr... asides from thunderbolt and "i5", there is nothing that really separates the mid 2010 MBA's from the 2011's. :(

daneoni
Jul 25, 2012, 09:52 PM
Is there a real reason for this or is it just BS like many of the features left off older iphones? I can tolerate it on a mobile device but if they start leaving key features off of my computer for no reason (because lets face it even a core 2 duo has enough power to do any of these features) my 2010 imac will be my last mac

Every hardware omission in Mountain Lion thus far has had a valid technical reason, however frivolous you consider it.

1. Power Nap doesn't support regular SSDs because the power requirements differ compared to on-board flash storage.

-Not sure about the excl of 2010 MBAs though. Maybe the Nvidia chipset lacks key features or iSeries chips are needed as some have pointed out. *shrug*

2. No Airplay support for pre-2011 Macs because Apple leverages Intel's QuickSync (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quick_Sync_Video) which is only found on Sandy Bridge chips or newer

3. Lack of installation support for older Macs is because Mountain Lion's Kernel is exclusively 64-bit top to bottom. If your Mac can't boot the 64-bit kernel and/or doesn't have 64-bit GPU drivers then you're SOL.

imwoblin
Jul 25, 2012, 09:54 PM
Up until yesterday Apple stated that PowerNap would work with MacBook Air models from 2010. Now all of the sudden it's 2011 MacBook Air or newer. Something ain't kosher here...

macingman
Jul 25, 2012, 09:56 PM
My 2010 MBA has a SSD and I don't get this :(.

It doesn't seem like such an amazing feature anyway.

sulpfiction
Jul 25, 2012, 09:56 PM
Not a fan of updating thru the app store app. Firmware updated without issue, thankfully.

2009 called. They said it's time to leave. :D

macingman
Jul 25, 2012, 09:58 PM
Up until yesterday Apple stated that PowerNap would work with MacBook Air models from 2010. Now all of the sudden it's 2011 MacBook Air or newer. Something ain't kosher here...

Apple decided they needed more sales, that's all probably.

lukasm
Jul 25, 2012, 09:58 PM
I was wondering where it was. I looked under energy earlier and couldn't find it

I was even more confused by this when I typed Power Nap into the search box and it highlighted Energy Saver but there was no option in there! All fixed now :)

DarwinOSX
Jul 25, 2012, 09:59 PM

Yes it is a vast Apple conspiracy directed at you specifically. This is not a feature that requires CPU "power" btw.

thestickman
Jul 25, 2012, 10:01 PM
2009 called. They said it's time to leave. :D

2009 was a great year for me. I wanna stay!!!:D

DarwinOSX
Jul 25, 2012, 10:02 PM

It installed in the beta on my 2011 MBA then was pulled and not in subsequent betas or the GM. If it is true that they said it would work in 2009 MBA (proof?) then the probably found something they didn't like.

CyberBob859
Jul 25, 2012, 10:03 PM

Yup. I'm really disappointed. PowerNap was one feature I was looking forward to.

No AirPlay and now no PowerNap. Grrrrr........ The computer is not even two years old, and already features are missing.

garylapointe
Jul 25, 2012, 10:04 PM
grrr... asides from thunderbolt and "i5", there is nothing that really separates the mid 2010 MBA's from the 2011's. :(

Umm.. PowerNap is a difference...

Seriously though, I'm sure there are all sorts of differences under the hood that we don't know about.

Gary

DarwinOSX
Jul 25, 2012, 10:11 PM
Apple decided they needed more sales, that's all probably.

Yeah it's a scam but Apple didn't fool you!

----------

No you are supposed to assume it's some master scheme by Apple to deprive you of a feature you didn't know or care about anyway followed by a rant about how you will never buy another Apple product even though you know you will. Extra points if you claim to know there is no reason Apple could not have added it to whatever it is you own.

Every hardware omission in Mountain Lion thus far has had a valid technical reason, however frivolous you consider it.

1. Power Nap doesn't support regular SSDs because the power requirements differ compared to on-board flash storage. Not sure about the excl of 2010 MBAs though. Maybe a controller issue. *shrug*

2. No Airplay support for pre-2011 Macs because Apple leverages Intel's QuickSync (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quick_Sync_Video) which is only found on Sandy Bridge chips or newer

3. Lack of installation support for older Macs is because Mountain Lion's Kernel is exclusively 64-bit top to bottom. If your Mac can't boot the 64-bit kernel and/or doesn't have 64-bit GPU drivers then you're SOL.

----------

Yup. I'm really disappointed. PowerNap was one feature I was looking forward to.

No AirPlay and now no PowerNap. Grrrrr........ The computer is not even two years old, and already features are missing.

"2. No Airplay support for pre-2011 Macs because Apple leverages Intel's QuickSync which is only found on Sandy Bridge chips or newer"

Pacwell
Jul 25, 2012, 10:13 PM

Just a tad bit odd how nothing is quiet smooth today when it comes to all the software updates.

I am an idiot. Where did you see this?

KPOM
Jul 25, 2012, 10:15 PM

Intel is touting a similar feature called "Smart Connect" for certain Ultrabooks. I think that certain Intel chipsets have features that help make this possible. The first notebooks that met the Ultrabook standard were Sandy Bridge based, so that's why I'm guessing this feature doesn't support 2010 MacBook Airs.

zemaker
Jul 25, 2012, 10:17 PM
I am an idiot. Where did you see this?

KPOM
Jul 25, 2012, 10:17 PM
I understand that. It doesn't work on Late 2010 Macbook Air? It meets those requirements.

The Intel Sandy Bridge chipset is a big difference between the 2010s and 2011s. It includes technology that makes Power Nap possible.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/smart-connect-technology.html

The Smyrk
Jul 25, 2012, 10:19 PM
It will be cool to see this extended to third party apps. I could definitely see this working with Transmission for example or any other app the you want to keep actively running after you close to sleep (copying/moving files also comes to mind). I also noticed they keep stressing backing up to Time Capsule as a key feature of Power Nap. My guess is that this extends to any kind of Time Machine backup. For example, having external drive connected to AEBS should still back up fine with this feature? I guess I'm just lucky these features are available to me and my 2011 MBA, feel bad for the guys left out :(

MRSooner
Jul 25, 2012, 10:20 PM
I have a Mid 2011 13" MBA Mountain Lion and it says this firmware update is not supported on my system....not sure why. Any ideas?

PJMAN2952
Jul 25, 2012, 10:23 PM
What about for the MacBook Pro 13 inch early 2011 model? Hope we get an update. This feature is cool.

Matthew Yohe
Jul 25, 2012, 10:28 PM

According to what?

I have a Mid 2011 13" MBA Mountain Lion and it says this firmware update is not supported on my system....not sure why. Any ideas?

You attempted to install through the Mac App Store?

fenderbass146
Jul 25, 2012, 10:30 PM

the i5 is key. They need part of intel tech in sandy bridge to do some of the features.

Matthew Yohe
Jul 25, 2012, 10:33 PM
the i5 is key. They need part of intel tech in sandy bridge to do some of the features.

Oh, C'mon! It's just plastic and silicon all smooshed in there! There's no real difference!

jackhdev
Jul 25, 2012, 10:34 PM
The Intel Sandy Bridge chipset is a big difference between the 2010s and 2011s. It includes technology that makes Power Nap possible.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/smart-connect-technology.html

I have a sandy bridge MacBook Pro with a SSD and it's not supported. And my SSD doesn't exactly require massive amounts of energy compared to the retina MacBook Pro or the MacBook Air.

evq
Jul 25, 2012, 10:41 PM
So are there technical differences between the blade-style SSDs and the 2.5" factory installed SSDs? What I'm asking is if something in the SATA interface is what's keeping this from working on my Early 2011 MBP with a factory SSD. Because I'd certainly love Power Nap on this thing.

Battlefield Fan
Jul 25, 2012, 10:45 PM
I'm going to find a way to enable PowerNap on my 2011 MBP with an OWC SSD. Mark my word!

wizard
Jul 25, 2012, 10:46 PM

I'm all out of cheese.

penguin427
Jul 25, 2012, 10:51 PM
I need powernap on my late 2011 15" with an OWC SSD....somehow:(

!° V °!
Jul 25, 2012, 10:54 PM
Does PowerNap work if you are not signed into the MAS? Anyone know the answer to this.

Heston
Jul 25, 2012, 10:55 PM
whoa whoa whoa. I can do without PowerNap. But no Airplay? That was THE one reason for me upgrading. WTF.

I'm sure in a month someone will figure out a hack. Totally unnecessary for them to snub a computer that could easily do AirPlay.

KPOM
Jul 25, 2012, 11:01 PM
I have a sandy bridge MacBook Pro with a SSD and it's not supported. And my SSD doesn't exactly require massive amounts of energy compared to the retina MacBook Pro or the MacBook Air.

It may use a different chipset or firmware. Again, there are lots of Windows notebooks with SSDs, but they are touting this feature only for Ultrabooks.

mikefla
Jul 25, 2012, 11:05 PM
I have a Mid 2010 MacBook Pro. I have an SSD drive. I want PowerNap too!

-Mike

MRSooner
Jul 25, 2012, 11:20 PM

Nevermind! All is good.

zyr123
Jul 25, 2012, 11:21 PM
I'm going to find a way to enable PowerNap on my 2011 MBP with an OWC SSD. Mark my word!

When you do please take a momemnt and email mewith the directions of how you enabled power nap

denaliOnDubs
Jul 25, 2012, 11:24 PM
I was even more confused by this when I typed Power Nap into the search box and it highlighted Energy Saver but there was no option in there! All fixed now :)

Haha yea, that's how I found it and there was no option. I had to check for the update a few times but now it's there.

Matthew Yohe
Jul 25, 2012, 11:27 PM
When you do please take a momemnt and email mewith the directions of how you enabled power nap

Don't get your hopes up.

zyr123
Jul 25, 2012, 11:30 PM
Don't get your hopes up.

I am not. On a side note let's get Tim cook fired he's screwing up what jobs built. Apple is going to really regret this year if iphone 5 disipoints.

fenderbass146
Jul 25, 2012, 11:35 PM
I am not. On a side note let's get Tim cook fired he's screwing up what jobs built. Apple is going to really regret this year if iphone 5 disipoints.

You do realize he probably was still all around for this when it was in the works as this point....also for all the others bitching. Both power nap and airplay require help from intel sandy bridge cpu's

zyr123
Jul 25, 2012, 11:38 PM
You do realize he probably was still all around for this when it was in the works as this point....also for all the others bitching. Both power nap and airplay require help from intel sandy bridge cpu's

Ya he was around but not for the end, all the fine tuning and etc.

fenderbass146
Jul 25, 2012, 11:40 PM
Ya he was around but not for the end, all the fine tuning and etc.

regardless all the issues people are bitching about are actual hard limitations... do some research on these features a little more in depth. It's not like apple purposely is not including all features possible. (at least this time)

Heston
Jul 25, 2012, 11:47 PM
regardless all the issues people are bitching about are actual hard limitations... do some research on these features a little more in depth. It's not like apple purposely is not including all features possible. (at least this time)

No, but they can create software workarounds. They could easily have written something similar to AirParrot and we'd all be happy then.

As for powernap, that too could be a software tweak.

At this point, it's water under the sandy bridge for me. I'm fine with Notifications and Safari tab sharing with my iPhone. Oh wait....

jeffy.dee-lux
Jul 26, 2012, 12:11 AM
I"m really curious to know how much energy a laptop will consume using Power Nap. I understand solid state drives were key to making this feasible. I'm guessing the biggest draw would just be the wifi connection. Maybe they minimize this by only powering on and checking for updates periodically. Either way, I'm curious to know how they've implemented this and what kind of numbers we'll see. I'm not freaking out about this at all, I'm sure you can disable it if you want, and I doubt it's a huge power draw, but it does beg the question given how much attention we pay to standby power these days.

qwerter
Jul 26, 2012, 12:13 AM
Both power nap and airplay require help from intel sandy bridge cpu's

Then why--for months--did they say Power Nap would be available for the 2010 MacBook Air?

And why are there accounts of it working for some people who had the developer preview?

TheRdungeon
Jul 26, 2012, 12:16 AM

You suck

HiRez
Jul 26, 2012, 12:18 AM
Does this work on a laptop with the cover closed, or does it have to be open?

mattdo93
Jul 26, 2012, 12:23 AM
Why no support for the 2012 cMBP?! :mad: That's just bull

haruhiko
Jul 26, 2012, 12:30 AM
Why no support for the 2012 cMBP?! :mad: That's just bull

It doesn't have any built-in SSD.

Do you want the OS to spin your MBP's harddisk & start your fans when you're sleeping?

Macman45
Jul 26, 2012, 12:33 AM
The SMC update required for power nap was downloaded after I had installed ML...I have a late 2011 13" MBA and it works fine.

For people waiting for the feature the Apple site says "Coming Soon" so you have not been forgotten, they just haven't released the patch yet:

terraphantm
Jul 26, 2012, 12:50 AM
Isn't the SSD found in the airs (and presumably the rMBP) a PCIe SSD? I could've sworn I read a few articles on here that indicated that was the case. Could that be why powernap is only being activated on those models?

Battlefield Fan
Jul 26, 2012, 12:53 AM
The SMC update required for power nap was downloaded after I had installed ML...I have a late 2011 13" MBA and it works fine.

For people waiting for the feature the Apple site says "Coming Soon" so you have not been forgotten, they just haven't released the patch yet:

Yes, interesting. It does say 2012 MBP and the retina. This should be easy to port over for 2011 MBPs.

rictus007
Jul 26, 2012, 01:06 AM

Agree...that's also my concern!

Macman45
Jul 26, 2012, 01:21 AM
Yes, interesting. It does say 2012 MBP and the retina. This should be easy to port over for 2011 MBPs.

More complex EFI chip is probably the hold up, but I doubt it'll be more than a couple of weeks. It is a useful feature...I'm already using it on my MBA.

starstreak
Jul 26, 2012, 01:21 AM
I'm another who :mad: that the newest MBPR is not supported yet. You would've figured that Apple would've configured itself around this notebook being the SSD is the only HD being offered for it. Or at least have it ready the same day it released the OS.

And where the heck is the stupid Thunderbolt to firewire 800 adapter?? Thanks to Apple and its wisdom in not supporting USB 3.0, I'm now using USB 2.0 on the macbook since the portable HD makers only supported firewire and usb 2.0 for macs. Trying to pull video off the portable is making me pull my hair out.

MacReloaded
Jul 26, 2012, 01:29 AM

No, it's just the Retina MacBook Pro.

mrbyu
Jul 26, 2012, 01:31 AM
That's why I haven't bought a MBA in 2010, and I waited for the 2011 Sandy Bridge models. Somehow I felt it was not a good idea to spend a whole bunch of money on a machine with slow, last-gen CPU, without backlit keyboard...

I understand the restriction of AirPlay, Apple always wants to deliver perfect user experience, so that's why they didn't make something like AirParrot. But as for Powernap... They really stated that it required second generation MBA, so I think there might be a chance that they will release a firmware update for 2010 Airs, too... Wait a few days, guys.

Upd.: specific ML system requirements have changed on apple.com, now they really say that Powernap only supports MacBook Air (Mid 2011 or newer), MacBook Pro with Retina display. :( That's too bad guys, I also find this unfair. Even if it has real hardware-connected reasons, it wasn't very nice from them advertising it for the MBA 2010 as well, and then changing their mind.

M.a.r.k.
Jul 26, 2012, 01:47 AM
I'm also disappointed, as Apple clearly said in the keynote that Macbook Air (2nd gen) was supported. Now if I count correctly the 2010 Macbook Air is at least 2nd gen, and has a SSD.

Cmmts
Jul 26, 2012, 02:03 AM
I'm also disappointed, as Apple clearly said in the keynote that Macbook Air (2nd gen) was supported. Now if I count correctly the 2010 Macbook Air is at least 2nd gen, and has a SSD.

Yeah, this is unacceptable. They clearly stated that the 2010 MBA was supported even on their spec site for Mountain Lion. There really isn't that much left in the update if you don't have an iPhone/iPad or Apple TV. I won't be syncing Notes, Reminders or Safari. I also won't be using iCloud as it doesn't work with my Galaxy Nexus. Yeah, notifications are cool, but I used Growl earlier so it really isn't a new thing.

seek3r
Jul 26, 2012, 02:28 AM

There's a P180c on my desk right now, I want powernap on it!

terraphantm
Jul 26, 2012, 02:30 AM
I'm another who :mad: that the newest MBPR is not supported yet. You would've figured that Apple would've configured itself around this notebook being the SSD is the only HD being offered for it. Or at least have it ready the same day it released the OS.

And where the heck is the stupid Thunderbolt to firewire 800 adapter?? Thanks to Apple and its wisdom in not supporting USB 3.0, I'm now using USB 2.0 on the macbook since the portable HD makers only supported firewire and usb 2.0 for macs. Trying to pull video off the portable is making me pull my hair out.

Not only that, but Apple royally f'd up the USB 3.0 implementation. I cannot get my HDD to be recognized 9 times out of 10. And that 1 time it does work is only on the left-side port. Hopefully it's a software issue, not hardware.

It works fine if I use a USB 2.0 extension cable (and therefore limit the drive to USB 2.0)... but that defeats the purpose of having USB 3.0

Thex1138
Jul 26, 2012, 02:33 AM
Hmmm I upgraded my 2010 MBP with a 120gb SSD drive...
You reckon it will work for me?
:apple:

potatis
Jul 26, 2012, 02:41 AM
Can you use BitTorrent clients during PowerNap?

mrbyu
Jul 26, 2012, 02:45 AM
Hmmm I upgraded my 2010 MBP with a 120gb SSD drive...
You reckon it will work for me?

Sorry dude, this has been answered a million times already, but NO, only in-built SSD is supported. Why? Two explanations:

1. "normal" SSD has higher power consumption which doesn't fit to power nap
2. Apple wants us to feel our old Macs are outdated, and buy new ones

You decide. :)

Btw if your 2010 MBP has only Core 2 Duo CPU, it is absolutely out of the question, seeing the 2010 MBA with in-built SSD also not supporting Power Nap... : ( That means it's somehow also limited to Sandy Bridge architecture or later...

steve-p
Jul 26, 2012, 03:11 AM

That's questionable for a start. Energy saver preferences have different profiles for running on A/C or battery power. If they were really concerned about power consumption on Macs without the blade type flash storage, they could have just restricted Power Nap availability to when plugged into the mains. On all Macs, HD and SSD included.

macingman
Jul 26, 2012, 03:16 AM
Yeah it's a scam but Apple didn't fool you!

----------

No you are supposed to assume it's some master scheme by Apple to deprive you of a feature you didn't know or care about anyway followed by a rant about how you will never buy another Apple product even though you know you will. Extra points if you claim to know there is no reason Apple could not have added it to whatever it is you own.

Actually, the reason listed that some laptops don't have power nap is because of the SSD, my mac book air actually has on board flash storage like the 2011 and 2012 model.

I have no problem with Apple leaving a feature out and I'm perfectly happy with ML but I was just making the point I haven't seen any reason why this feature wasn't included, so the only logical reason is that it was a business decision for more profit, which again I have no problem with, Apple are a business and deserve to be able to encourage people to upgrade which I will when the rMBP is updated next year.

randomnut
Jul 26, 2012, 03:19 AM
The fact this feature was a major one advertised for the MBA and rMBP, and they have failed to produce it for the rMBP is nothing short of a joke.

Apple really are going downhill these days.

noneShallPass
Jul 26, 2012, 03:30 AM
No love for the early 2011 macbook pros :mad::mad::mad:

erpetao
Jul 26, 2012, 03:41 AM
Well, I applied last night the EFI firmware update, and left the laptop plugged in the whole night and the powernap seems to be working in a late 2011 air. I'm abroad so I didn't have the chance to test the time machine backups, but some new emails were there this morning (although not the most recent ones). Does anybody know how often does powernap update emails etc.?

PaulKemp
Jul 26, 2012, 03:42 AM

Yes this is indeed provoking. AirPlay video I can kinda understand why they left out due to the puny cpu, but Power Nap? Give me a break.

kyjaotkb
Jul 26, 2012, 04:08 AM
I'm wondering if Powernap remains enabled if you swapped your original Apple SSD with an OWC one...

diddl14
Jul 26, 2012, 04:09 AM
First thought I clicked the wrong menu item before realizing that Software Updates now launches the AppStore. Nice how this is now integrated.

MCP-511
Jul 26, 2012, 04:17 AM
If the machine is sleeping, older mechanical hard drives spin down. If it spun up to update it would defeat the purpose of being asleep, wouldn't it? Where as SSD drives have no moving parts, thus no physical spin-down, that's probably why it has the odd requirement. My iMac has an Apple SSD drive, however the 4gb OSX download off the app store is a show stopper. My internet speed is best described as baud-band out in the sticks. :(

kiljoy616
Jul 26, 2012, 04:41 AM
Sweet, just updated everything working perfect. :)

newagemac
Jul 26, 2012, 05:27 AM
Yeah, this is unacceptable. They clearly stated that the 2010 MBA was supported even on their spec site for Mountain Lion. There really isn't that much left in the update if you don't have an iPhone/iPad or Apple TV. I won't be syncing Notes, Reminders or Safari. I also won't be using iCloud as it doesn't work with my Galaxy Nexus. Yeah, notifications are cool, but I used Growl earlier so it really isn't a new thing.

This reminds me of the uphill battle that Android will be facing in the coming years now that both Apple and Microsoft are increasing the value of their respective mobile offerings by their deep integration and syncing of native applications on the desktop/laptop with mobile while Android doesn't have anything comparable.

Windows Phone/Tablet has PCs with Windows 8, iOS has Macs with OS X Mountain Lion, and Android has Chromebooks. Will be interesting times to see what happens in this new era.

watchthisspace
Jul 26, 2012, 05:29 AM
http://www.intel.com/support/services/smartconnect/sb/CS-033108.htm

There's probably the biggest reason why the 2010 got silently dropped in support. I'd have my money on that Intel couldn't get a BIOS update to support it.

mabaker
Jul 26, 2012, 05:30 AM
So now MBAs from 2011 are "second generation". :rolleyes:

aircanman
Jul 26, 2012, 05:31 AM
Personally I am not too happy that Apple are bringing out these new concepts... PowerNap / Airplay and then excluding them from machines which are not that old at all, my 2011 MBP will work with Airplay, but my i3 iMac will not, and neither of them will work with power nap. What Apple is basically doing is saying these are the things which will be compulsory in the future, and unless you buy new hardware you ain't gonna be having them, out of order if you ask me. Spending so much money on these things, I am happy to upgrade but every year, just to keep up with the OS updates?

Getting silly now Apple.

lukemcurley
Jul 26, 2012, 05:48 AM
http://i.imgur.com/7nkR9.jpg

Disappointed as the Mountain Lion slide on PowerNap clearly stated 2nd gen MacBook Air (the 2nd gen was released in late 2010 with a new design).

kyjaotkb
Jul 26, 2012, 05:49 AM

There's probably the biggest reason why the 2010 got silently dropped in support. I'd have my money on that Intel couldn't get a BIOS update to support it.

I think you nailed it - except that Macs don't use BIOS, they use EFI, and the EFIs are mostly written by Apple - in that case they could not come up with a smartconnect-enabled EFI update compatible with Core2Duo probably.

windywalks
Jul 26, 2012, 06:05 AM

The MBPR does support USB3. Or is it that you've only got USB 2.0 and FW enclosures?

kyjaotkb
Jul 26, 2012, 06:06 AM
Image (http://i.imgur.com/7nkR9.jpg)

Disappointed as the Mountain Lion slide on PowerNap clearly stated 2nd gen MacBook Air (the 2nd gen was released in late 2010 with a new design).

Well, looks like the slide was supposed to say "2nd generation Core i series".

Because a 2nd gen MBA (MBA 2,1) is the late-2008 MBA (Penryn, GeForce 9400 graphics)...

windywalks
Jul 26, 2012, 06:17 AM
The Intel Smart Connect Technology, which is probably responsible for Power Nap, was on introduced somewhere in may 2011, which obviously excludes all Airs prior to the mid-2011 model. I'm actually a happy owner of such a computer and don't understand why the announcement at WWDC stated that 2nd gen MBAs would get Power Nap.

andrewkendall
Jul 26, 2012, 06:22 AM
My 2010 Air 11" got the firmware upgrade a few days after the GM was released. I installed straight away and PowerNap has been working great ever since.

mrbyu
Jul 26, 2012, 06:28 AM
Well, looks like the slide was supposed to say "2nd generation Core i series".

Because a 2nd gen MBA (MBA 2,1) is the late-2008 MBA (Penryn, GeForce 9400 graphics)...

That wasn't exactly clear, so it seemed obvious that with "2nd generation" they meant the redesigned MBA (so starting with the 2010 model). And that was without any doubt what they meant, because the system requirements on apple.com also stated that for Power Nap you need at least MBA 2010.

Now that it turned out not to be the case, instead of admitting their mistake / misleading, they can just say: "Oh, we meant the second generation of the redesigned MacBook Airs!" (which is the 2011 model) I wouldn't be surprised. :rolleyes:

Nioxic
Jul 26, 2012, 06:34 AM

maybe its the battery? :)

Cmmts
Jul 26, 2012, 06:47 AM
This reminds me of the uphill battle that Android will be facing in the coming years now that both Apple and Microsoft are increasing the value of their respective mobile offerings by their deep integration and syncing of native applications on the desktop/laptop with mobile while Android doesn't have anything comparable.

Windows Phone/Tablet has PCs with Windows 8, iOS has Macs with OS X Mountain Lion, and Android has Chromebooks. Will be interesting times to see what happens in this new era.

Except for calendar, gmail, contacts, gdrive with docs, reminders in gmail, google play store...

----------

My 2010 Air 11" got the firmware upgrade a few days after the GM was released. I installed straight away and PowerNap has been working great ever since.

Interesting, so it has been removed between the gm and the launch version.

ABG
Jul 26, 2012, 06:58 AM
Image (http://i.imgur.com/7nkR9.jpg)

I'm disappointed too, especially given the reviews which said this feature by itelf was worth the price of the upgrade.

The Verge:
Assuming you have a new enough machine to use Power Nap, itís a game changer ó another feature worth upgrading for all by itself.

On the basis Apple has confirmed at launch my 2nd Gen MBA would be compatible I bought ML last night and installed it onto my MBA.

How do refunds work on the Mac App Store? :(

DakotaGuy
Jul 26, 2012, 06:59 AM
No desktop love at all?

I think Apple is in the process of phasing them out so I doubt we will ever see it on the desktops. :(

andrewkendall
Jul 26, 2012, 07:00 AM
Interesting, so it has been removed between the gm and the launch version.

Yes, looks that way. Wonder why it was pulled at the last minute, it seems to be working perfectly for me. I just checked my Time Machine backups to see if the 2010 PowerNap firmware installer was still cached somewhere, but can't find it. Hopefully someone else has a copy they can post.

Lancer
Jul 26, 2012, 07:04 AM
Not sure if I like the idea of my Mac updating and other thing while it's meant to be asleep.

Sorry if it's been covered but can you turn it off?

SvP
Jul 26, 2012, 07:06 AM
..I was just making the point I haven't seen any reason why this feature wasn't included, so the only logical reason is that it was a business decision for more profit..

The only logical conclusion is that you don't know the reason.

It could be:

technical barriers making low-power functions hard to implement on older mac's
a feature that needs *engineering/preparation, so only macs after a certain point in time have these modifications
shortage of engineers
shortage of mountain dew
a conspiracy
divine intervention

hobo.hopkins
Jul 26, 2012, 07:11 AM
Not sure if I like the idea of my Mac updating and other thing while it's meant to be asleep.

Sorry if it's been covered but can you turn it off?

You can turn it off in the Energy Savings pane in System Preferences.

asd789789
Jul 26, 2012, 07:15 AM
Anyone else realized that it only works while the MBA is plugged in?! The homepage says:

When your Mac goes to sleep, it still gets things done with Power Nap. It periodically updates Mail, Contacts, Calendar, Reminders, Notes, Photo Stream, Find My Mac, and Documents in the Cloud. When your Mac is connected to a power source, it downloads software updates and makes backups with Time Machine...

Which I interpreted as: "The power source is only necessary for Time Machine backups and software updates". In fact the menu in ML says power is needed for everything (I can't give you the original English text...).
Tested it with a new Reminder list and it didn't sync while not plugged in :eek:

Did i interpret the Homepage wrong :confused:

shiseiryu1
Jul 26, 2012, 07:15 AM
Yet another feature that doesn't work unless you have a "brand new" computer. My "late 2010" MBA can't use Powernap OR Airplay Mirroring.

This is very disturbing and annoying. If Apple wants people to replace their laptops every year they should lower their prices.

Lancer
Jul 26, 2012, 07:20 AM

Good to know, not that it affects me as I;m stuck using my G5PM until Apple bothers updating the iMac line! Even then I understand it won't work anyway :(

steve-p
Jul 26, 2012, 07:24 AM
And it doesn't update software automatically anyway I don't think. I believe it just downloads the updates ready for you to apply. At least that's what a lot of the reviews say.

Diveflo
Jul 26, 2012, 08:08 AM
shortage of mountain dew

found it.

Muffin87
Jul 26, 2012, 08:17 AM

I find absolutely absurd that they designed a retina display, a thinner case, but couldn't think of coding an update to make the Retina MacBook Pro compliant with Power Nap and releasing it on the same day Mountain Lion was bound to be released.

It might sound arrogant, but hey... I'm buying the latest notebook and it requires an update to work with the latest software from the firm that produced the notebook? And it's not coming out with the release of that software?

I thought apple's philosophy was to build computers and code the softwares to be run on them so that everything is smooth and integrated.

sixth
Jul 26, 2012, 08:17 AM
The bigger downfall of this is the unsupported 3rd Party SSDs that we all have installed in our MBPs/iMacs, etc. I probably wouldnt use this feature, but its just the fact that they arent supporting 3rd party SSDs that makes me slightly annoyed.

smeagol
Jul 26, 2012, 08:24 AM

No, it won't be your last. Besides, getting an alternative pc still won't get you a powernap.

newagemac
Jul 26, 2012, 08:56 AM
Except for calendar, gmail, contacts, gdrive with docs, reminders in gmail, google play store...

----------

Not a single one of those are deeply integrated into the OS itself natively. Microsoft and Apple have that advantage because they develop and own the OS themselves. Google is banking on their Chromebooks but your entire OS being just a web browser is not something that people seem to want. I'm sorry but I can't use Terminal on a web browser and I can't create presentations in Google Docs like the powerful and fluid things I can do in Powerpoint and Keynote.

Even on mobile, I always prefer fast native applications over comparably slower web based abominations like the Facebook app or the gmail app on iOS.

HTML5 web based applications are better than Flash, but they just don't compare to real native apps based on higher level languages like Objective C and C#. Google is finding this out with the poor reception of their Chromebooks. Facebook found this out as well which is why they are now in the process of completely redoing their Facebook app for iOS in Objective C.

HTML5 is great for the web but is a poor replacement for a real OS and full native applications.

Microsoft and Apple have a clear upper hand in this new era of integration. Web-only "cloud" solutions are so 2005. Native applications that are effectively "everywhere" by using the cloud as a highway is the future as it is the only thing they lacked in 2005 compared to web-only applications.

RMo
Jul 26, 2012, 09:01 AM
No desktop love at all?

You can achieve much of the same functionality by turning off your external display and leaving your computer running. :D

dtelena
Jul 26, 2012, 09:02 AM

You're right !!! I am the owner of a MacBook Air 11'' Late 2010 and I am 100% sure that Late 2010 MB Airs were supported by PowerNap until yesterday, f...k you Apple !!! :mad:

macingman
Jul 26, 2012, 09:04 AM
The only logical conclusion is that you don't know the reason.

It could be:

1. technical barriers making low-power functions hard to implement on older mac's
2. a feature that needs *engineering/preparation, so only macs after a certain point in time have these modifications
3. shortage of engineers

1. It was said earlier in this thread that this feature needs on board flash memory to work, which my laptop has.
2. The "preparation" can easily been done with a firmware update.
3. I find it hard to believe the largest company in the world would have trouble finding engineers, plus whether or not there are engineers isn't my problem, it's Apple's responsibility to ensure they are properly staffed.

The "power nap" feature only really allows software update/email checking when the lid is closed, I find it hard to believe this feature is so power draining that my laptop can't have it. Anyway as I said I couldn't really care about the feature anyway, I was just making the point I can't see a valid reason, especially since Apple originally said this feature would be available in 2010 MBA's initially.

koolmagicguy
Jul 26, 2012, 09:20 AM

Yeah, so what's wrong with the App Store again? lol

johncrab
Jul 26, 2012, 09:56 AM
I just used the new Safari/iCloud tabs feature to open a tab to the download on my MBAir only to find that I actually have a late 2010 model. Oh well!

fenderbass146
Jul 26, 2012, 10:17 AM
Then why--for months--did they say Power Nap would be available for the 2010 MacBook Air?

And why are there accounts of it working for some people who had the developer preview?

The people who said was working are wrong. I have an 2011 MBA and I had the option through all the devleoper previews, however it didn't actually start working untill I got the SMC upgrade last night. It never worked, it only showed the option in the engergy saver pref.

andrewkendall
Jul 26, 2012, 10:37 AM
The people who said was working are wrong. I have an 2011 MBA and I had the option through all the devleoper previews, however it didn't actually start working untill I got the SMC upgrade last night. It never worked, it only showed the option in the engergy saver pref.

I have a 2010 11" Air sitting here which received the required firmware update via software update about one week ago. I also have the 2011 and 2012 models, those two only received the update last night, while my Retina MacBook has yet to get it.

ADMProducer
Jul 26, 2012, 10:49 AM
I wonder if somebody could make a patch to enable it on non-Apple SSD machines. Kinda like Trim Enabler.

Battlefield Fan
Jul 26, 2012, 11:09 AM
No, it's just the Retina MacBook Pro.

Wrong, this statement is from Apple's support document, MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012)

The "fat" MacBook Pros have always been called mid 2011, early 2009 etc with that being no different for the "fat" Mid 2012 MBP. The comma between retina and mid 2012 is there for a reason.

Cmmts
Jul 26, 2012, 11:26 AM
Interesting, my macbook air 2010 has the power nap setting in energy saver preferences. I just can't think of a very good way to check if is actually working.

Nickerbocker
Jul 26, 2012, 12:20 PM
"PowerNap" is just a small evolution for me. I like the idea, but I'm not upset that my old 2009 MBP doesn't support it. Its kind of an oh-gee-whiz-not-a-big-deal kinda feature IMHO.

I'm a little more upset about the fact that I can't do AirPlay mirroring, but suspect there will be alternatives. I just wanted to play around with it, not really needed tbh. I can still use iTunes or my iPad to stream movies to my HDTV.

Canubis
Jul 26, 2012, 12:29 PM
This is really cool. Honestly, wouldn't have thought Apple would release a firmware update for such a feature for my nearly 1 year old MacBook. :)

fenderbass146
Jul 26, 2012, 12:44 PM
I have a 2010 11" Air sitting here which received the required firmware update via software update about one week ago. I also have the 2011 and 2012 models, those two only received the update last night, while my Retina MacBook has yet to get it.

You may have received a firmware update but it wasn't for power nap

qwerter
Jul 26, 2012, 01:29 PM

What? Where? How? What's the firmware version number?

mrbyu
Jul 26, 2012, 01:35 PM
"PowerNap" is just a small evolution for me. I like the idea, but I'm not upset that my old 2009 MBP doesn't support it. Its kind of an oh-gee-whiz-not-a-big-deal kinda feature IMHO.

I'm a little more upset about the fact that I can't do AirPlay mirroring, but suspect there will be alternatives. I just wanted to play around with it, not really needed tbh. I can still use iTunes or my iPad to stream movies to my HDTV.

AirParrot. http://airparrot.com

It's not free but you can download the trial version which is limited to 20 minutes of streaming. I haven't tried it yet, but it supports 1080p and audio as well, like AirPlay.

It may not be as smooth and may not deliver as good quality as AirPlay, but it's worth trying. :)

andrewkendall
Jul 26, 2012, 01:51 PM
You may have received a firmware update but it wasn't for power nap

The changes listed with firmware described adding support for PowerNap and after I installed the option appeared in energy saver preferences. I've tested it by running Time Machine backups overnight with lid closed. The update for the 2010 machine looked just like yesterday's 2011/2012 update.

qwerter
Jul 26, 2012, 02:06 PM
The changes listed with firmware described adding support for PowerNap and after I installed the option appeared in energy saver preferences. I've tested it by running Time Machine backups overnight with lid closed. The update for the 2010 machine looked just like yesterday's 2011/2012 update.

In your system information, what is the SMC version?

MacReloaded
Jul 26, 2012, 02:06 PM
Wrong, this statement is from Apple's support document,

The "fat" MacBook Pros have always been called mid 2011, early 2009 etc with that being no different for the "fat" Mid 2012 MBP. The comma between retina and mid 2012 is there for a reason.

Incorrect. The Retina MacBook Pro is called MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012). Want proof?

http://printscreenmac.info/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/about-this-mac-Macbook-pro-retina.jpg

More proof here: http://support.apple.com/manuals/#macbookpro

andrewkendall
Jul 26, 2012, 02:11 PM
What? Where? How? What's the firmware version number?

Here you go, screen grabs of all that stuff https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1043974/Images/MacBook%20Air%20Screens.zip

Angarok
Jul 26, 2012, 02:48 PM
I hope this goes the same way as the Lion Internet recovery feature. It was initially only available in the newest models and then subsequently started to trickle down to older models. Fingers crossed!

qwerter
Jul 26, 2012, 02:52 PM
Here you go, screen grabs of all that stuff https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1043974/Images/MacBook%20Air%20Screens.zip

Thanks! But this is frustrating. I have the exact same setup as you, down to the SMC version number, but no Power Nap settings. :(

nastri83
Jul 26, 2012, 04:05 PM
Is everyone really that excited about this? As someone who uses my mac for professional purposes this is a scary idea. I've been burned by Mainstage updates before.

It's not always the best idea to update right away.

qwerter
Jul 26, 2012, 04:29 PM
Is everyone really that excited about this? As someone who uses my mac for professional purposes this is a scary idea. I've been burned by Mainstage updates before.

It's not just updates. Backups while sleeping is the number one thing I'm most excited about, followed by mail downloads.

Weaselboy
Jul 26, 2012, 05:06 PM

You can turn off the automatic software updates if you want. I agree this is a concern.

nastri83
Jul 26, 2012, 06:58 PM
Neat. That will be turned off ASAP along with Gatekeeper...

dontwalkhand
Jul 26, 2012, 07:50 PM
2009 was a great year for me. I wanna stay!!!:D

2009 was fun, and when people actually cared about Apple products instead of just being another product in the shelf.

----------

AirParrot. http://airparrot.com

It's not free but you can download the trial version which is limited to 20 minutes of streaming. I haven't tried it yet, but it supports 1080p and audio as well, like AirPlay.

It may not be as smooth and may not deliver as good quality as AirPlay, but it's worth trying. :)

I use it on my 2010 MBA, it actually works fine for what it does, I am still able to play Hulu on my TV...and it was only $10.

yukycg
Jul 26, 2012, 08:57 PM
I need help to install this update

I have the macbook air (2011)
I got the update via app store and try to install it after reboot, it stuck at gray screen.
I tried the update via manual download update, same thing. After I forced reboot the laptop the update is still appear in app update and no "powernap" option in power saver.

Thex1138
Jul 26, 2012, 09:24 PM
Sorry dude, this has been answered a million times already, but NO, only in-built SSD is supported. Why? Two explanations:

2. Apple wants us to feel our old Macs are outdated, and buy new ones

You decide. :)

Btw if your 2010 MBP has only Core 2 Duo CPU, it is absolutely out of the question, seeing the 2010 MBA with in-built SSD also not supporting Power Nap... : ( That means it's somehow also limited to Sandy Bridge architecture or later...

No problemos, thanks for your reply!
Yeah I put in an Intel 510 SSD... and it sips 380mW active, 100 mW idle...
Oh well... it still flies!
Thanks

watchthisspace
Jul 26, 2012, 10:14 PM
I think you nailed it - except that Macs don't use BIOS, they use EFI, and the EFIs are mostly written by Apple - in that case they could not come up with a smartconnect-enabled EFI update compatible with Core2Duo probably.

And to add, perhaps Apple simply couldn't get the 2010 MBA to acceptable levels or power consumption and temperature with Powernap.

IPlayFair
Jul 27, 2012, 12:30 AM
Personally I am not too happy that Apple are bringing out these new concepts... PowerNap / Airplay and then excluding them from machines which are not that old at all, my 2011 MBP will work with Airplay, but my i3 iMac will not, and neither of them will work with power nap. What Apple is basically doing is saying these are the things which will be compulsory in the future, and unless you buy new hardware you ain't gonna be having them, out of order if you ask me. Spending so much money on these things, I am happy to upgrade but every year, just to keep up with the OS updates?

Getting silly now Apple.

These are add on features. Your machine will still function without them. There could be a multitude of reason why the new features do not work on your machine, some have been explained in this thread. Simple things like drivers not being updated could be a culprit. Many Mac users modify their equipment (adding a SSD for example), could be the install was not correct or there is a conflict somewhere. I don't understand why some people accuse Apple of having a Sinister motive.

Confuzzzed
Jul 27, 2012, 01:07 AM

You're right !!! I am the owner of a MacBook Air 11'' Late 2010 and I am 100% sure that Late 2010 MB Airs were supported by PowerNap until yesterday, f...k you Apple !!! :mad:

Marvellous! If you guys owned a windows laptop, two years on you'd be looking to throw it in the bin. Yet, Apple gives you a machine that works as well as it did the day you bought it and because your machine is not compatible with a small feature, 2 years on, you get full of entitlement and throw toys out of the pram? Grow up. In car years, you're driving a 6 year old BMW 3 series. Do you think BMW gives you new features with backward integration in mind?

Grow up

No, but they can create software workarounds. They could easily have written something similar to AirParrot and we'd all be happy then. As for powernap, that too could be a software tweak.

Have you used AirParrot? I wouldn't want to stream a virus with it, never mind something I wanted to watch and enjoy...some things are just not that easy to do with a software 'workaround'

Spot on (although someone already explained it's not called BIOS)

I think Apple is in the process of phasing them out so I doubt we will ever see it on the desktops. :(

This statement is so insane, I wouldn't know where to begin...

You can achieve much of the same functionality by turning off your external display and leaving your computer running. :D

This! The other reason why powernap is useful for laptops is that you can have the machine in sleep, come out of a meeting (or get out of bed), grab your machine in a hurry and when you get on the train (or in a coffee shop, campus etc. without wifi) your email, calendar and stuff is right there for you so you can work right away. Unless you're in the habit of putting an iMac under your arm on the way to work in the morning, you don't need this feature because in modern day desk tops you're told not to switch the off and most modern day displays put themselves to sleep...

ABG
Jul 27, 2012, 03:25 AM
Marvellous! If you guys owned a windows laptop, two years on you'd be looking to throw it in the bin. ...

Its not 2 years. The oldest 2nd Gen MBA are 19 months old, and it was July 2011 (one year ago) when Sandy Bridge MBAs which can use these features were launched.

The point is when announcing ML Apple advertised Powernap as being available for 2nd Gen MBAs. Now its not there there is no comment from Apple.

As for the rest of your rant why not take your own advice and

Grow up

Cmmts
Jul 27, 2012, 03:56 AM
I confirmed it, powernap works on my 2010 air. Got the smc update during the developer preview time. I was now able to locate the computer while it was in sleep. So it isn't a technical limitation.

joeinav
Jul 27, 2012, 09:00 AM
I really don't understand how Apple could release Mountain Lion without support of the best feature (IMO) on its new & best MBP! Very disappointed with Apple and its now losing some of its shine.

orthorim
Jul 27, 2012, 09:58 AM
No.
It's very disappointing that Power Nap only works on Macs with the blade-type SSDs.

How is that disappointing? Are you expecting to get new features for free at regular intervals?

It's like saying it's very disappointing that your old car is not a plug-in hybrid.

I have a retina MBP but frankly I don't see the benefits of PowerNap. I don't need my computer to check emails while asleep - email, calendar sync, etc - all these network tasks are accomplished within a minute of waking from sleep.

So I save a minute. Whatever.

I certainly don't want my computer to act like an iPad with notifications on. Had this recently where my brother called me at 4:00 am (he's in a different time zone, didn't mean to) and the iPad suddenly went wild. Took me a while to figure out what was going on. Sometimes OFF is exactly what my computer should be.

Downloading upgrades in the background - yeah OK, maybe, but I generally want manual control over which updates to install and which not to.

----------

The bigger downfall of this is the unsupported 3rd Party SSDs that we all have installed in our MBPs/iMacs, etc. I probably wouldnt use this feature, but its just the fact that they arent supporting 3rd party SSDs that makes me slightly annoyed.

Please stop and think for a moment before you post, people.

There's this underlying assumption that Apple's main goal with new features is to
1 - Piss people off
and
2 - Somehow this translates into new hardware sales.

If that was Apple's business plan, I don't think they'd be around anymore to get upset about. If they don't support some hardware, they do it because it just doesn't work on that hardware.

Prodo123
Jul 27, 2012, 12:29 PM
How is that disappointing? Are you expecting to get new features for free at regular intervals?

It's like saying it's very disappointing that your old car is not a plug-in hybrid.

I have a retina MBP but frankly I don't see the benefits of PowerNap. I don't need my computer to check emails while asleep - email, calendar sync, etc - all these network tasks are accomplished within a minute of waking from sleep.

So I save a minute. Whatever.

I certainly don't want my computer to act like an iPad with notifications on. Had this recently where my brother called me at 4:00 am (he's in a different time zone, didn't mean to) and the iPad suddenly went wild. Took me a while to figure out what was going on. Sometimes OFF is exactly what my computer should be.

Downloading upgrades in the background - yeah OK, maybe, but I generally want manual control over which updates to install and which not to.

Let's say you bought a Late 2011 MacBook Pro or the Mid-2012 Unibody MacBook Pro, and it had a SSD in it. It's newer than both the 2nd- and 3rd-generation MacBook Airs, and both have the capability to use Power Nap because they both have SSDs. But only the MacBook Airs get the feature, which is what I find absolutely absurd.

The older products are getting new features while the newer products are left in the dust.

Since I don't even have a SSD I don't care if I am going to get this feature. I just find it absurd that Apple decided to do this.

(please think before posting)

starstreak
Jul 28, 2012, 02:02 AM
Yup. Work only bought the usb 2.0/FW800 enclosures. It's funny. If the Mac store doesn't have it, they don't buy it. So of course none of the external drives at the Apple store carried anything with usb 3.0 built in before the Apple devices started supporting it.

The MBPR does support USB3. Or is it that you've only got USB 2.0 and FW enclosures?

andrewkendall
Jul 28, 2012, 09:58 AM
Thanks! But this is frustrating. I have the exact same setup as you, down to the SMC version number, but no Power Nap settings. :(

Have you seen this? http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=15341824#post15341824

tobyyarwood
Jul 30, 2012, 05:09 AM
I confirmed it, powernap works on my 2010 air. Got the smc update during the developer preview time. I was now able to locate the computer while it was in sleep. So it isn't a technical limitation.

That is great.. do you know if this early firmware update for 2010 mba still about? can anyone dropbox it? Also, what would happen if i just used the 2011 update from apple on my 2010 MBA?

Many thanks for any help...

----------

That is great.. do you know if this early firmware update for 2010 mba still about? can anyone dropbox it? Also, what would happen if i just used the 2011 update from apple on my 2010 MBA?

Many thanks for any help...

OH .. sorry guys, I should have read the rest of the post before asking for help...

aircanman
Jul 30, 2012, 07:19 PM
My only issue is Apple innovate, they create the norm, therefore when they create a feature, down the line it becomes a standard. A car will always drive but never fly, apple seems to be getting its hardware to 'fly' all the time, making new hardware a must for the most dedicated fans. Examples include power nap needing supported SSD, AirPlay mirroring needing newer than i3.

I accept it because I benefit from the most amazing user experience around, but newcomers who keep the machines over a long period may be frustrated with constant restricted updates.