PDA

View Full Version : Metrowerks puts CodeWarrior for Mac OS X out to pasture

MacBytes
Jul 31, 2005, 11:06 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Metrowerks puts CodeWarrior for Mac OS X out to pasture (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050801000634)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

impierced
Jul 31, 2005, 11:21 PM
I remember when THINK Pascal and THINK C were THE development tools for the Mac OS - not to mention the awesome THINK Reference.

Then came CodeWarrior and before long THINK was gone.

I was sorry to see THINK go and now I'm sorry to see CodeWarrior go.

Daveway
Jul 31, 2005, 11:30 PM
This was eventually going to happen as a result of Steve basically telling them to f*ckoff at WWDC.

Sun Baked
Jul 31, 2005, 11:44 PM
This was eventually going to happen as a result of Steve basically telling them to f*ckoff at WWDC.Basically since Apple started pushing their development tools hard with OS X, but XCode and the G5 basically signaled the last days of CodeWarrior.

The x86 announced finally killed CodeWarrior, really didn't expect Freescale to keep development going for the Mac after that announcement.

Should be interesting to see what happens with GCC...

ham_man
Aug 1, 2005, 12:14 AM
I knew that this would happen, eventually. With the release of Xcode 2.0, Apple will always be one step ahead of the comptetitors, for the sole fact that the app can be built around what Apple knows will happen, but what others do not...

Jedda
Aug 1, 2005, 02:57 AM
This is sad.

Metroworks saved Apple's hide in the 90's when Apple failed to provide developers with timely PPC development tools.

If it hadn't been for CodeWarrior, a lot of those developers, im sure, would have just moved to Windows.

Apple's new (or should i say Steve's old & ongoing) attitude of "****** 'em." is dissapointing, and lately, this company has been proving now and again that they are happy to eat up smaller developers.

I am however, exited about the new standardisation of development tools for OSX, and therefore, can see the good side to this too.

Chaszmyr
Aug 1, 2005, 03:23 AM
This shouldn't surprise anyone. When Apple announced the move to Intel, Steve said flat out that all code from now on needed to be compiled with XCode to ensure compatibility with both PPC and x86 systems.

SPUY767
Aug 1, 2005, 08:04 AM
Having used both to develop custom graphical applications, it's quite clear that the main reason for the demise of CodeWarrior is the fact that it is abundantly mediocre compared to XCode.

nagromme
Aug 1, 2005, 08:25 PM
So how exactly did Apple mistreat Metrowerks here?

By using Intel chips?

Or by not giving Metrowerks more than a year's warning before the start of the transition?

Or by doing something to block Metrowerks from making tools for Intel Macs?

Thanks for any clarification. I'm sorry to see a tool go away, but I don't yet understand what Apple did that was unfair.

mkrishnan
Aug 1, 2005, 08:28 PM
Yeah, this doesn't surprise me either. But if Apple wants XCode to be *the* development suite, they need to keep working harder on making it a comfortable development place, and giving it more of the features that large development projects need.... It seems like they've been doing that with XCode 2. Hope it continues. They have too much of a tradition of making a great product and putting it out to pasture themselves, la AppleWorks. :(

bousozoku
Aug 1, 2005, 08:44 PM
I remember when THINK Pascal and THINK C were THE development tools for the Mac OS - not to mention the awesome THINK Reference.

Then came CodeWarrior and before long THINK was gone.

I was sorry to see THINK go and now I'm sorry to see CodeWarrior go.

The Think Class Library and Metrowerks PowerPlant were developed by the same person. The attitude was pretty much the same after a while too. "We're the best, everyone else stinks. Buy our product or else." That happened long before Mac OS X. Just like Symantec going from 90+ per cent of the business to zero, Metrowerks was going to do the same when they stopped moving forward. I got tired of paying ever-increasing prices for extremely few changes.

Their compilers were great, their integration was not. They did save the day because Symantec was sitting on their fingers, waiting for some magic fix to make their compilers generate PowerPC code.

Does anyone else remember when Metrowerks' sole product was a Modula-2 compiler?