Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

p4madeus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
So I picked up a iBook G4 1.33ghz for $23 off craigslist locally. It has it's issues...minor liquid damage to keyboard making the delete and eject buttons not work and others nearby sticky, the screen has a line through it, and it only had 768mb RAM. The battery, however, holds a surprisingly long charge, and otherwise it has a clean 10.4.11 install. I found a 1gb stick locally for $15 maxing the RAM and putting me in at $38. Waiting for a cheap eBay auction for a new keyboard, hopefully keeping me under $50. The line in the screen doesnt bother me, Im just using this more or less as a basic couch computer and for some Diablo 2 fun.

My question is about the ATA bus in these iBooks.... Ive been looking at getting an IDE to CF adapter and replacing the old, original 30gb HD with a 8gb CF card I just have sitting in a drawer. I see many of these adapters out there which will accept 2 CF cards, however from what I read you cannot have another slave drive on the same ATA bus if you want to use two cards on an adapter. What I'm wondering is if the CD drive is on the same ATA bus as the HD as slave or if it is separate as its own master? Looking in the system profiler it lists two ATA buses, the HD under one and the CD under the other, but that doesn't necessarily mean much in terms of actual hardware....

Ideally I'd like to use one of these dual card adapters with dual 8gb cards....one for system and one for files/apps/misc. Just need to know if it will work. Haven't been able to find much of anything about this in my web searches.... Anyone know?

Last edited:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Here's how you can find out. Apple menu>About this Mac>More Info>Hardware>ATA If there is one ATA bus, then the two drives share the only IDE bus and no more can be added. If there are two, you can add another drive to both buses. I'm guessing that the two drives share the only bus.

p4madeus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
Here's how you can find out. Apple menu>About this Mac>More Info>Hardware>ATA If there is one ATA bus, then the two drives share the only IDE bus and no more can be added. If there are two, you can add another drive to both buses. I'm guessing that the two drives share the only bus.

Sorry I kept editing my post with more detail :eek: System profiler lists two ATA Buses I just wasn't sure if that truly meant there were two buses or it just splits it out for each connected device....

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Well, disregard what I said. Just checked my G4 iMac and it has one IDE controller for a maximum of two drives but lists two buses. I say play it safe and get the single CompactFlash adapter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.