Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ohmigosh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
Sorry my english is not that good. Hello, I have a G3 700 MHz iBook. I also have a D-Link DWL-122 wireless USB ethernet adapter to go with it. Everytime I had the wireless adapter in the laptop, it would work great and then suddenly "freeze". Then just last night, it froze once more, so I decided to power it down. Today, I powered the iBook back up and now it won't display anything. I hear the "bong" sound, and also the hard drive activity but nothing happens! Oh, and sometimes when I do get display, it will be flickery and it will freeze in a couple of seconds. And IF I do get into Mac OS X, once I restart/shutdown, then power up again, it does the same problem again! Please help me! I have a lot of work in the iBook! Thanks!

chucknorris

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2005
Moscow, ID (No Kremlin here!)
ohmigosh said:
Sorry my english is not that good. Hello, I have a G3 700 MHz iBook. I also have a D-Link DWL-122 wireless USB ethernet adapter to go with it. Everytime I had the wireless adapter in the laptop, it would work great and then suddenly "freeze". Then just last night, it froze once more, so I decided to power it down. Today, I powered the iBook back up and now it won't display anything. I hear the "bong" sound, and also the hard drive activity but nothing happens! Oh, and sometimes when I do get display, it will be flickery and it will freeze in a couple of seconds. And IF I do get into Mac OS X, once I restart/shutdown, then power up again, it does the same problem again! Please help me! I have a lot of work in the iBook! Thanks!

I can't say I know what might be going on, but I just wanted to compliment your english. It's much better than many native speakers! No need at all to apologize.

BTW: What language do you speak natively?

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
ohmigosh said:

I used a DWL-122 with my iBook. It never worked. Eventually I just got rid of it, and bought an original AirPort card.

The flickery screen, I'm not sure but COULD be the logic board. I'm sorry I don't know more, but I DO know the DWL-122 is not good for G3 iBooks.

ohmigosh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
Ok an update. I got to wipe out the drive with disk utility. I reinstalled Panther and when it got done installing, there was a kernel panic. So I restarted, now there is no display, BUT I hear the "Intro Music" playing. ANyone know the problem? I am getting nervous right now.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
A non-working or flickery, freezing display usually means the logic board is going or dead. Your iBook seems to fall in the realm of those with the dreaded logic board problem. Mine is a G3 800 and had that same problem.

Check here to see if your serial number is listed, and you can send your iBook in to Apple. They'll fix it for free.

MacHarne

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2005
Virginia, U.S.A.
That's certainly the logic board failure. I went through that last year. If possible, back up your data and send that thing to Apple via the link 5300cs provided.

ohmigosh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
Thanks guys, I will contact Apple about this. And see if I can get my iBook fixed. :cool:

ohmigosh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
You are all awesome. :D I just called Apple, and they say they'll fix it once I send everything to them. Thanks for all the help everyone! :)

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
The paid for it all for me.
Their shipping company came on a Saturday at 6pm with a box for it. I had a sheet of paper with my address and all that, and a diagram of the iBook. On the diagram I had to point out any large marks, dents, scratches, etc. that there were (to protect us both.)

It came back Monday night all ready to go! No missing AirMac card, no reformatted drive or anything.

BE SURE TO BACK UP JUST IN CASE!! You might want to pull your AirMac card if you have one. You can never be too careful ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.