Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

philjo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2011
It will not be possible for me to download ML at home onto my mac Mini. The main problem is that the download file is over 4 GB & my entire monthly broadband limit is 3GB - so if I download it I cannot download anything else until the 1st of the next month (plus have to pay for the extra bandwidth). The connection speed is also very slow at the moment so 4GB would probably take best part of a day to download.

Can I obtain ML in the Apple retail store in the UK? Maybe as a USB or if I take my ipad in download via the app store using their wifi & copy the file over when I sync it with the mac?

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
No USB stick has been announced from Apple yet. It took a while for the Lion USB stick to come out, however, one may not come out for Mountain Lion.

You might be able to take your mini into the store and download it. I'm sure the Apple staff would help you.

The iPad wouldn't work.

Tar Sniffer

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
I too have a small broadband limit, so last week I asked one of the staff members at the Apple Store if it would be OK if I downloaded Mountain Lion using the stores connection. He said people usually bring their computers in and do whatever they want, so it shouldn't be an issue, and that something like a software update would be perfectly fine. I don't know how you will go with a Mac Mini but I imagine they will be accommodating, especially if you own new hardware.

adztaylor

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2009
Preston, UK
I'm sure if you take your mini in they would help you download it using the stores wifi. They are usually very helpful with that.

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
I've been using my iPad's personal hotspot at home because our broadband line hasn't been installed yet.

I took my Mac into a retail store and downloaded it over their ethernet connection at the 'Personal Setup' table. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.