Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
Nope, but I've been watching all the videos a youtuber has been putting up. I quite like it actually. They still have lots of work to do on it. It is alpha so you cant expect much.

iampaulb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2012
London
it was the only reason i put Windows on my Mac. I really didnt want to do it, but a friend talked me into it. The game is actually pretty good for what it is. However the map is MASSIVE and it can get pretty boring on ya own.

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
Sounds good. Yeah I saw that, its pretty huge.
How did you install it? Did you have to buy Arma or something before that?

iampaulb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2012
London
How did you install it? Did you have to buy Arma or something before that?

Yeah steam was doing a 40% deal on Amra 2 / Arma - Arrow Head - so i bought it and installed Dayz via the instructions on their website. Had a little trouble getting it to run properly at first but now its all good.

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
Yeah steam was doing a 40% deal on Amra 2 / Arma - Arrow Head - so i bought it and installed Dayz via the instructions on their website. Had a little trouble getting it to run properly at first but now its all good.

Sounds splendid. Im thinking about it :D

iampaulb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2012
London
go for it. But beware, that the servers are real time to the location. So if your on a german server say and its night time, it will be night time on the server. And trying to find your way through a city or woods in the dark with raging Zombies trying to hunt you down is SCARY! Especially when you dont have batteries for your flashlight and all you can see is black.

so tip of the day: Always find a day time server :D

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
HAHA
I saw one night time episode of the youtube guy and yeah it was scary, but people cheat, they turn of gamma or something in the settings and then you can see again. So you would get killed all the time because they can see. Real bummer

joeysarks

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2011
Detroit
I watch streams constantly and follow a few youtube series of it. I love it, been waiting for a zombie apocolypse mmorpg from Undead labs I think, maybe another studio I can't remember. But this will do fine for me, like I said been waiting for a long time to see a decent zombie survival game.

Haven't been able to upgrade my mac yet to play it though, didn't really wanna start on uber low settings on my 2011 13 inch. Never bootcamped Windows or anything like that before either. Do I just need a copy of Windows and instructions on how to bootcamp? Nothing else?

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I have been playing it for the last couple of months and really love it, some of the running between places can get tiresome but you are always one mistake away from losing everything you have, it really is great.

I can't wait until it becomes a stand alone game!

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
Never bootcamped Windows or anything like that before either. Do I just need a copy of Windows and instructions on how to bootcamp? Nothing else?
You will need a copy if windows and then launch Bootcamp assistant which is allready on your mac. It will say it has to download drivers and stuff, then you will go about creating a partition and then you can install windows. Its all very simple.
Backup all your data before though to be safe.

iampaulb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2012
London
I have been playing it for the last couple of months and really love it, some of the running between places can get tiresome but you are always one mistake away from losing everything you have, it really is great.

I can't wait until it becomes a stand alone game!

Yeah it's a great addition. I had managed to meet up with two of my mates. Now we are armed with a scoped M4 each and lots of ammo and drink. We are just lacking food. So not sure how long we will last without dieing of hunger haha.

So if you find 3 dead guys, you will be for a treat!

R1PPER

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
Can you play this on a mac steam...i noticed ARMA2 in the steam beta mac store? I dont want to partition my drive again.

iampaulb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2012
London
Can you play this on a mac steam...i noticed ARMA2 in the steam beta mac store? I dont want to partition my drive again.

Dont think so dude, you will have to get dayz (free download) which is windows only.

Update: I left my friends last night, they went off on a looting run, found tones of ammo and guns, found two surviors had a zombie stand off and are now dead. Glad i left the game when i did LOL!!!

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
I've got it, and I'm up for forming a clan/squad. I have another mate, but we've died twice, and not found each other just yet on our third play...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.