PDA

View Full Version : Facebook's Team of Former Apple Engineers Focused on Improving iOS App

MacRumors
Jul 26, 2012, 09:23 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/26/facebooks-team-of-former-apple-engineers-focused-on-improving-ios-app/)

Last month, The New York Times reported that Facebook has been working on a major overhaul of its iOS app (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/27/facebook-abandoning-html5-to-speed-up-ios-app/), seeking to improve performance by transitioning from the current HTML5-based app to a native Objective-C one. At the time, Facebook was said to be releasing the app the following month.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/07/facebook_iphone_screenshots.jpg

Facebook's current iPhone app
Bloomberg now follows up with a more extensive report (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-07-25/facebook-is-said-to-work-with-htc-on-mobile-phone-for-mid-2013.html) looking at Facebook's mobile efforts, which reportedly include work with HTC on a Facebook smartphone targeted for mid-2013. That effort has been previously disclosed, with the company reportedly having hired former Apple engineers (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/05/28/facebook-recruiting-former-apple-iphone-engineers-for-facebook-phone/) to drive the project.

Today's report indicates that this team of former Apple engineers has actually been focused primarily on the iOS app rebuild, although the company's timeline appears to be a bit longer than suggested last month.This team from Apple has been primarily focused on rebuilding Facebook's iPhone application, which has been criticized by users for being slow. An initial release could be announced within a couple of months, with another broader overhaul of the iPhone app coming next near, one person said.Facebook's team of former Apple employees includes Mike Matas and Kimon Tsinteris, two iOS interface designers who left the company to start digital publishing company Push Pop Press, which Facebook acquired last year.Former Apple staff hired by Facebook to work on mobile are: Greg Novick, who helped develop the touch-screen user interface; Tim Omernick and Chris Tremblay, who also worked on the device's software; and Scott Goodson, who helped create the stock-market application, according to people with knowledge of the hires.Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg has acknowledged that transitioning to mobile devices is among the most difficult tasks for the company, given the differences in user experiences between mobile and desktop. While the company has embraced mobile with apps for iOS and Android, it is still seeking ways to improve the user experience on those devices and bring new features to those platforms.

Article Link: Facebook's Team of Former Apple Engineers Focused on Improving iOS App (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/26/facebooks-team-of-former-apple-engineers-focused-on-improving-ios-app/)

mms13
Jul 26, 2012, 09:25 AM
Good, because the Facebook app is truly awful.

sbrhwkp3
Long overdue, Zuck.

bushido
i cannot believe that the iPad app still has no timeline. how hard could it be ... the app itself is basically just the mobile web page anyway

Elven
Jul 26, 2012, 09:28 AM
It really is about damn time.

I just hope that they remain focussed on improving the quality of the application and don't rush it out with "features".

I would rather wait a year for a solid app, then 4months and only a marginal improvement.

Apollo231
Facebook has a history of saying that something will be done 'soon' and then it ends up being up to a year when it actually happens!

palmerc2
First order of business: allow me to copy the text in posts.

Second order of business: add a "share" button.

That is all

hobo.hopkins
Jul 26, 2012, 09:30 AM
It will be overdue no matter when/if they release it.

aziatiklover
Jul 26, 2012, 09:30 AM
About time!

bohbot16
Jul 26, 2012, 09:32 AM
I'd love it if they added Instapaper integration like the Twitter app has.

Navdakilla
Jul 26, 2012, 09:33 AM
Facebook has a history of saying that something will be done 'soon' and then it ends up being up to a year when it actually happens!

very true,
However since i'm solely a casual browser, the fb app is decent enough for my needs, although flawed

BornAgainApple
Jul 26, 2012, 09:35 AM
This update can't come soon enough. I normally wouldn't give a damn about Facebook, but as a parent, it really comes in handy with communicating with other parents in the community. The app is so bad that I resort to using the mobile version in Safari.

Jensen G
Jul 26, 2012, 09:35 AM
Seriously, not only is the current Facebook app slow, but also inaccurate, often showing notification badges that link to the wrong posts or content, or can't pull replies to posts that have recently been made. I am REALLY looking forward to the new app.

borisiii
Jul 26, 2012, 09:36 AM
I was going to say they couldn't possibly make the app any worse, but then again this is Facebook...

Macrolido
Jul 26, 2012, 09:38 AM
I use it on iPod touch an it crashes often...

room237
Jul 26, 2012, 09:41 AM
Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg has acknowledged that transitioning to mobile devices is among the most difficult tasks for the company, given the differences in user experiences between mobile and desktop.

Yet somehow, the Facebook mobile web app works a lot better than the native app. I'm no developer but I can't fathom why it's taking so long when I think about how much money Facebook has. And, there are about half a dozen of 3rd party developers who's facebook apps work better than the official app.

Razeus
Jul 26, 2012, 09:44 AM
Please fix the "loading" issue. And the notifications that never go away or reoccur...And for god sakes make it simple and easier. Really, check out Path app and you'll see how mobile should be done.

sebastiannz
Jul 26, 2012, 09:45 AM
I don't like the facebook app at all. It is slow and it is buggy. For instance, it clears notifications for new messages, but then when I go back into the app, sometimes I will be reminded that I have new notification. But I don't. They are the old ones. Dumb. I'm glad they are fixing it. Bet Google+ doesn't have these problems

Apollo231
Jul 26, 2012, 09:45 AM
very true,
However since i'm solely a casual browser, the fb app is decent enough for my needs, although flawed

True, but besides that an update will help with with Battery life which makes sense why Apple wants this little annoyance patched up ASAP. I was also referring to the iPad app that took forever to be life as well as any android format of the Facebook apps. Its 'decent' enough but there are a lot of features on website that are not found on the app itself, like deleting posts or change what group can see your post. You always have to go to the website to change those things. :(

Illusion986
Jul 26, 2012, 09:46 AM
Facebook app has been horrible for so long that i hare just given up on it...i guess ill believe it when i see it... :rolleyes: Such big company takes years to make iphone app that works, hopefully will work :rolleyes:

duffmanth
Jul 26, 2012, 09:48 AM
'Bout time, gotta be one of the worst iOS apps.

bushido
Jul 26, 2012, 09:51 AM
First order of business: allow me to copy the text in posts.

Second order of business: add a "share" button.

That is all

omg yeah its so annoying, how isnt it obvs to them

AFPoster
Jul 26, 2012, 09:52 AM
completely worthless. facebook making a smartphone is like microsoft making a vacuum, it just doesn't make sense. I do like that the only way some of these companies can compete is by hiring from the top firm.

Kaibelf
Jul 26, 2012, 09:53 AM
Honestly, Facebook seems to be doing their best to make me not want to use their products. Since this terrible web-app app came out, I have used their service about 75% less than I did before, because it's just so clunky and inconvenient. Great work, Zuck and Co! :rolleyes:

mantan
Jul 26, 2012, 09:55 AM
Maybe they can use some of crackerjack Apple team who put together that fiasco of a Podcast app.....

srazz
Jul 26, 2012, 09:59 AM
Thank god because their app is a piece of crap. Has to be the slowest and most unreliable app I have.

SurferMan
Jul 26, 2012, 10:01 AM
What really doesn't make sense, they've had years to develop and tweak the app and both the Android and iOS versions are still mehhh and glitchy. Seriously, these are dev engineers and all this time they can't get a mobile app to work right??!?

skellener
Jul 26, 2012, 10:05 AM
Why can't you share posts on the FB app for iOS??

WannaGoMac
Jul 26, 2012, 10:11 AM
It's ok, the app sucking has done a good thing for me -- helped me use Facebook less and less. Somehow when facebook members started having 1000s of friends, facebook became less and less a fun/useful social experience.

I miss the days when Facebook connections were actually FRIENDS and not random acquaintances.

ComputersaysNo
Jul 26, 2012, 10:12 AM
I'm thinking that Google is working on an app for their (to come) tablet and or phones. If they make the best app of all times for Iphone, how would it be possible to sell your own upcoming products? Iphone is just next in line.

b_scott
Jul 26, 2012, 10:18 AM
whoever coded the new app that uses Timeline is truly an idiot. It's so bad that I rarely even use it. However the new Camera app for Facebook is great.

edk99
Jul 26, 2012, 10:24 AM
Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg has acknowledged that transitioning to mobile devices is among the most difficult tasks for the company, given the differences in user experiences between mobile and desktop. While the company has embraced mobile with apps for iOS and Android, it is still seeking ways to improve the user experience on those devices and bring new features to those platforms.

The transition is difficult because currently they are not able to generate the same revenue they generate from someone using the web site. As more and more people use mobile devices and use less and less of the web site this is a huge problem for them to increase revenues going forward.

So I would imagine a total rewrite of the mobile platform will incorporate more revenue generating ads and so on to make up for that.

Cameron Hood
Jul 26, 2012, 10:27 AM
Image (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/26/facebooks-team-of-former-apple-engineers-focused-on-improving-ios-app/)

Last month, The New York Times reported that Facebook has been working on a major overhaul of its iOS app (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/27/facebook-abandoning-html5-to-speed-up-ios-app/), seeking to improve performance by transitioning from the current HTML5-based app to a native Objective-C one. At the time, Facebook was said to be releasing the app the following month.

Image (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/07/facebook_iphone_screenshots.jpg)

Facebook's current iPhone app
Bloomberg now follows up with a more extensive report (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-07-25/facebook-is-said-to-work-with-htc-on-mobile-phone-for-mid-2013.html) looking at Facebook's mobile efforts, which reportedly include work with HTC on a Facebook smartphone targeted for mid-2013. That effort has been previously disclosed, with the company reportedly having hired former Apple engineers (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/05/28/facebook-recruiting-former-apple-iphone-engineers-for-facebook-phone/) to drive the project.

Today's report indicates that this team of former Apple engineers has actually been focused primarily on the iOS app rebuild, although the company's timeline appears to be a bit longer than suggested last month.Facebook's team of former Apple employees includes Mike Matas and Kimon Tsinteris, two iOS interface designers who left the company to start digital publishing company Push Pop Press, which Facebook acquired last year.Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg has acknowledged that transitioning to mobile devices is among the most difficult tasks for the company, given the differences in user experiences between mobile and desktop. While the company has embraced mobile with apps for iOS and Android, it is still seeking ways to improve the user experience on those devices and bring new features to those platforms.

Article Link: Facebook's Team of Former Apple Engineers Focused on Improving iOS App (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/26/facebooks-team-of-former-apple-engineers-focused-on-improving-ios-app/)

Did they ever even TRY this thing? It has sucked for years. 'Bout time.

Cheers,
Cameron

peter.black
Jul 26, 2012, 10:31 AM
"...it is still seeking ways to improve the user experience on those devices and bring new features to those platforms."

Google Translate:

"...it is still seeking ways to ensure you see ads on those devices and bring new ad delivery mechanisms to those platforms."

herocero
Jul 26, 2012, 10:31 AM
Yeah because the stock app was a such a home run ... /sarcasm

Intarweb
Jul 26, 2012, 10:37 AM
It's ok, the app sucking has done a good thing for me -- helped me use Facebook less and less. Somehow when facebook members started having 1000s of friends, facebook became less and less a fun/useful social experience.

I miss the days when Facebook connections were actually FRIENDS and not random acquaintances.

Then it's your fault for accepting and sending out so many friend requests.

Ambient80
Jul 26, 2012, 10:37 AM
I don't know why they have such a hard time with it. When the App Store was first introduced, the Facebook app was great, and was often cited as one of the best looking and operating apps available. Since then it has been one horrible update after another.

The Phazer
Jul 26, 2012, 10:40 AM
i cannot believe that the iPad app still has no timeline. how hard could it be ... the app itself is basically just the mobile web page anyway

Given how slow Timeline works on the iPhone or even on a Mac, they’re probably withholding it as an iPad version would be so slow it might collapse the entire spacetime continuum.

Illusion986
Jul 26, 2012, 10:40 AM
Yeah because the stock app was a such a home run ... /sarcasm

LOL that was my thought as well!

PJMAN2952
Jul 26, 2012, 10:43 AM
Wow. I hate the Facebook App for Android. It's really slow and doesn't update in real time. Facebook needs to update the app for iOS AND for Android. Not just for iOS. That's not fair.

Mess
Jul 26, 2012, 10:46 AM
Ive givrn up with th app on the ipad. I now login via safari. Much easier.

S.Jobs
Jul 26, 2012, 11:06 AM
They need to hire the safari team from Apple. Safari is just so snappy these days. :apple: :D :apple:

NeoMayhem
Jul 26, 2012, 11:12 AM
This can't come soon enough. FB is easily the crappiest app on my phone. Just using their mobile site is faster. Also, their push notifications are really hit or miss reliability wise.

I have gotten into more into twitter recently due to how amazing some of the clients are. FB could really learn a lot from some of them.

pittpanthersfan
Jul 26, 2012, 11:15 AM
Get ready for ads.

mikerudolph22
Jul 26, 2012, 11:26 AM
Read as: Facebook now working on a way to bring ads to their app so they can actually make money off it, thereby making it suck more than it already does.

Mike Oxard
Jul 26, 2012, 11:36 AM
Facebook's team of former apple engineers focused on improving iOS app

It won't be hard, a team of trained monkeys couldn't possibly make a worse job of the Facebook App.

throys
Jul 26, 2012, 11:37 AM
I hope it will be mind blowing on the iPad and not just replica copy of the iPhone.

MarsDude
Jul 26, 2012, 11:39 AM
I had been wondering why FB could spend a billion to buy Instagram, but wouldn't afford a fraction of that for development of a decent Facebook app...

ipedro
Jul 26, 2012, 11:47 AM
I actually stopped using the Facebook app because it's so damn horrible. I moved to using the mobile site which can be a little bit better, but I did this because I can wait out a month for the new app to arrive. But "months"? FB's mobile app has been in the dumpster for months already with an average of 2 stars and 99% of the reviews negative.

You'd think that a multi-billion dollar company -- who's users are more and more coming from mobile -- would prioritize this to the very top of the line...

I use Facebook for work or I'd already be out of there. In the meantime, I won't be using FB for personal reasons anymore. I've already transitioned to Twitter for my thoughts and Instagram for my photos.

nickgri
Jul 26, 2012, 12:09 PM
Are they saying the HTML5 thing sucks-after all this hype about it and replacing Flash etc. are we about to find out it's not what they are touting it to be?
I still wish the layers interactivity and vector part of Flash was available on iOS let the video thing be whatever works best but nothing has replaced Flash yet for interactive functions.

Nickerbocker
Jul 26, 2012, 12:14 PM
I really like the Facebook Messenger app for iOS, but the main app is pretty crappy. The Twitter app on iOS is light years ahead.

Xtremehkr
Jul 26, 2012, 12:15 PM
I think Facebook is beginning to flounder, it was supposed to be a service for people to socialize, but it's acting like it's a celebrity in its own right. Satisfaction ratings for the site have sunk to all time lows, if Zuckerberg is to deliver a profit on a 'free' service it's not going to get any better. With the underwhelming IPO there's going to be a lot of pressure for Zuckerberg to deliver.

GQB
Jul 26, 2012, 12:20 PM
Its not just speed that makes the iOS Facebook apps suck so badly... its features.
The app doesn't let you re-share, only comment or like.
Can't edit comments.
Can't reliably delete posts or photos, often resulting in double posts of pictures.
Managing photos is atrocious.
The list goes on and on.

b_scott
Jul 26, 2012, 12:21 PM
Its not just speed that makes the iOS Facebook apps suck so badly... its features.
The app doesn't let you re-share, only comment or like.
Can't edit comments.
Can't reliably delete posts or photos, often resulting in double posts of pictures.
Managing photos is atrocious.
The list goes on and on.

the Camera app actually works very well. It's fast, lets you select multiple at once and post as your status, also has an actual pie chart of the upload progress.

GQB
Jul 26, 2012, 12:24 PM
What really doesn't make sense, they've had years to develop and tweak the app and both the Android and iOS versions are still mehhh and glitchy. Seriously, these are dev engineers and all this time they can't get a mobile app to work right??!?

Keep in mind that FB's dev culture is essentially one of web developers. They seem to be buying real programmers lately, but they're WAY behind the curve.
You really just have to look at their security and settings sections to see that the developers are either incompetent or slimy, neither being anything to be proud of.

geniusj
Jul 26, 2012, 12:27 PM
I wonder if they decided to change course when they saw the new G+ app.

Herdfan
Jul 26, 2012, 12:32 PM
I would be happy if the current app could just remember my "sort" preference. :(

Reeebo
Jul 26, 2012, 12:32 PM
Oh wow and I thought only the Android facebook app was terrible. Good to hear that it isn't just Android's that's a piece of crap. Don't understand how such a large social media company can have such a terrible app.

ghostface147
Jul 26, 2012, 12:57 PM
Oh wow and I thought only the Android facebook app was terrible. Good to hear that it isn't just Android's that's a piece of crap. Don't understand how such a large social media company can have such a terrible app.

Nope. I have a nexus S that I randomly loaded the Facebook app on. I didn't know how truly garbage it was on the other side of the railroad tracks until I ran it.

DudeDad
Jul 26, 2012, 01:37 PM
Yes, the iPhone app is lackluster, at best....We will be told that it was a beta....

dontwalkhand
Jul 26, 2012, 01:44 PM
Long overdue! The app SUCKS in its current state. For some reason, you would pick a picture to upload, it uploads something completely different. For being a service over a billion people use, the iPhone app surely SUCKS.

</rant>

840quadra
Jul 26, 2012, 01:46 PM
Took the worthless Facebook application off about 6 months ago. Their iOS compatible website is much faster and, more stable.

I would consider giving the new one a try, as Notifications would be nice to have back.

joneill55
Jul 26, 2012, 02:04 PM
Took the worthless Facebook application off about 6 months ago. Their iOS compatible website is much faster and, more stable.

I would consider giving the new one a try, as Notifications would be nice to have back.

Plus..............who cares. FB sucks on a good day!

topmounter
Jul 26, 2012, 02:06 PM
People still use facebook? I thought they were over the shark and out the door.

andrewr2123
Jul 26, 2012, 02:07 PM
When I'm using the Facebook app on my iPhone, it feels like I'm using a completely different device, because the app is sooo slow and laggy.

And I hate how whenever you click on anything and try to go back it takes you to the top of your timeline, rather than returning to where you just were.... And this happens on the desktop version as well. So annoying. Failbook lol.

denaliOnDubs
Jul 26, 2012, 02:15 PM
The Facebook app has always been terrible. It's great to hear they are working on it... been a problem for years imo

----------

I hate that too.

When I'm using the Facebook app on my iPhone, it feels like I'm using a completely different device, because the app is sooo slow and laggy.

And I hate how whenever you click on anything and try to go back it takes you to the top of your timeline, rather than returning to where you just were.... And this happens on the desktop version as well. So annoying. Failbook lol.

Swift
Jul 26, 2012, 02:27 PM
It drains the battery fast for no apparent reason.

Though to compensate, it's slow and buggy.

Get rid of the HTML. Obj-C, please!

If anybody wants a preview of what it looks like, get the Facebook Camera app, and look at the slick interface there -- it gives you access to your Facebook page!

RBR2
Jul 26, 2012, 02:27 PM
are they the same ones who made a mess out of iOS?

mescalito
Jul 26, 2012, 02:37 PM

Facebook app is one of the most buggy apps there is on my iPhone. Really sad considering it's an app that almost everyone has.

SurferMan
Jul 26, 2012, 03:02 PM
Oh wow and I thought only the Android facebook app was terrible. Good to hear that it isn't just Android's that's a piece of crap. Don't understand how such a large social media company can have such a terrible app.Yeh when I got my GSII all I heard was how much the Facbook app sucked, so when I got the phone I was like great the Facebook app sucked on the iPhones so how much worse is this going to be lol, bout the same. I can't think of any other app, with such massive popularity and use nevermind tied into a huge site (facebook itself)... is so poorly coded and done and buggy on both OSs. Plus on the iPhones you can't really determine which apps are eating and using battery behind the scenes and how much, but others have showed/stated how not having the app helped battery life, on Android the stats app's can show Facebook hogging on the battery, I've turned off all notifications, location etc, so the app uses only a very small % now even if running in the background and since I randomly check FB through the day not worried of missing a notification or anything on my phone.

----------

And I hate how whenever you click on anything and try to go back it takes you to the top of your timeline, rather than returning to where you just were.... And this happens on the desktop version as well. So annoying. Failbook lol.Doesn't do that on my GSII, goes right back to the point you were at in Timeline... still think the app sucks though. Although that reminds me of Yahoo, bunch of f'n morons there. Yahoo's geniuses decided to overhaul their email system which was perfect before, so that now not only can you not open emails in tabs, but if you go into a message and click back it takes you to the top of the list so you have to scroll all over to figure out where you were which if you get a ton of emails that is just beyond idiotic, and they made the back button on the browser completely exit mail and take you to the Yahoo home page (there's a little email back button you have to click or click inbox which even after over a year on the new setup still not used to). Seriously what crackhead dev/engineer thought of that???

I swear some of these devs/people must just decide one day, "hey let's f' with everyone"

ghoti
Jul 26, 2012, 03:52 PM
... about time. The FB app is pretty much the most poorly-implemented app on my phone. It's quite terrible, really.

TonyC28
Jul 26, 2012, 04:05 PM
"...which has been criticized by users for being slow."

That is only one of the many criticisms. I hope they don't stop at just fixing the speed of the app.

NeoMayhem
Jul 26, 2012, 04:15 PM
Are they saying the HTML5 thing sucks-after all this hype about it and replacing Flash etc. are we about to find out it's not what they are touting it to be?
I still wish the layers interactivity and vector part of Flash was available on iOS let the video thing be whatever works best but nothing has replaced Flash yet for interactive functions.

I dont think the FaceBook app sucking has anything to do with HTML. Their own mobile site is much faster then the app, even on the same device.

milo
Jul 26, 2012, 04:17 PM
Wow. I hate the Facebook App for Android. It's really slow and doesn't update in real time. Facebook needs to update the app for iOS AND for Android. Not just for iOS. That's not fair.

Absolutely, it's not like just the iOS version is bad, it seems like pretty much every FB app is bad. And just stupid stuff, can't share posts, weird limitations on things involving pictures and albums?

Husky1992
Jul 26, 2012, 04:19 PM
they're gonna make a mess out of it

MattDell
Jul 26, 2012, 04:53 PM
I'd be pleased if they just let me share things that come in my news feed!

dccorona
Jul 26, 2012, 06:58 PM
It's criticized for being slow because it's literally their mobile site with some javascript run to "enable native mode"

BiggAW
Jul 26, 2012, 07:42 PM
THANK GOD. I hate feeling like I'm on crappy EDGE when I'm on blazing fast 3G.

aaronvan
Jul 26, 2012, 09:37 PM
FB blows. Path is the future.

RedWeasel
Jul 27, 2012, 03:42 AM
I normally wouldn't give a damn about Facebook, but as a parent, it really comes in handy with communicating with other parents in the community.

I guess that's the most obvious sign I've read so far that FB is doomed :D
(as the kids are leaving ship because of their parents being there...)

The Phazer
Jul 27, 2012, 04:30 AM
I dont think the FaceBook app sucking has anything to do with HTML. Their own mobile site is much faster then the app, even on the same device.

That's because they're the same thing, but Apple doesn't allow 3rd party apps using webview to run Javascript as quickly as Safari does.

KnightWRX
Jul 27, 2012, 05:06 AM

Really, I'm surprised people keep saying that since both are essentially the same thing. The difference is of course that one is run within Safari, the other is run within an App that is basically a UIWebView.

The reason the mobile site is faster on Safari on iOS is simple : Nitro. Nitro is not available to 3rd party developers through the UIWebView.

So speed is something that is being withheld by Apple.

That being said, the problem with Facebook on iOS is both present on their mobile site and in their app : Features. Managing pictures is a nightmare, no-resharing, the commenting UI isn't all that either.

PJMAN2952
Jul 27, 2012, 07:14 AM
Absolutely, it's not like just the iOS version is bad, it seems like pretty much every FB app is bad. And just stupid stuff, can't share posts, weird limitations on things involving pictures and albums?
When ever I get a notification and tap on it, it launches to that message thread but the new messages don't show up in time. It is so annoying! I have to wait for some time to get the new messages. I would give the app a rating of -9000.

shulerg
Jul 27, 2012, 09:34 AM
lol...this is hilarious. FB jumped the shark with the IPO and is useless. My only interest now is in shorting its bubble-inflated stock.

Reason077
Jul 27, 2012, 09:49 AM
The reason the mobile site is faster on Safari on iOS is simple : Nitro. Nitro is not available to 3rd party developers through the UIWebView.

It's not like Apple are "withholding speed" without having a good reason. It's necessary for security.

In iOS the stack & heap are execute-protected. ie: executable code can't be loaded dynamically at runtime. This is a very good thing for security, but it means that JIT compilers don't work. Nitro is essentially a JIT compiler for Javascript, so it won't work in user applications unless they're given special privileges to allow code execution from the heap. Safari is given such privileges but 3rd party applications are not.

----------

FB blows. Path is the future.

Hmm, agree with first statement. Disagree with second ;)

KnightWRX
Jul 27, 2012, 11:02 AM
It's not like Apple are "withholding speed" without having a good reason. It's necessary for security.

In iOS the stack & heap are execute-protected. ie: executable code can't be loaded dynamically at runtime. This is a very good thing for security, but it means that JIT compilers don't work. Nitro is essentially a JIT compiler for Javascript, so it won't work in user applications unless they're given special privileges to allow code execution from the heap. Safari is given such privileges but 3rd party applications are not.

It's not necessary for security, it's just that Apple can't secure it or they're unwilling to (and frankly, with the added benefit that Safari is the only usable browser on iOS, I'd say they're just unwilling to).

NeoMayhem
Jul 27, 2012, 11:20 AM
Really, I'm surprised people keep saying that since both are essentially the same thing. The difference is of course that one is run within Safari, the other is run within an App that is basically a UIWebView.

That being said, the problem with Facebook on iOS is both present on their mobile site and in their app : Features. Managing pictures is a nightmare, no-resharing, the commenting UI isn't all that either.

When I load the page in Chrome for iOS, it is still faster then the app, so I am not convinced it is apples fault. Also, the mobile site is much different then the app, especially on the iPad.

KnightWRX
Jul 27, 2012, 11:23 AM
When I load the page in Chrome for iOS, it is still faster then the app, so I am not convinced it is apples fault. Also, the mobile site is much different then the app, especially on the iPad.

That's because they made an iPad app recently. It probably uses a different site that is not loaded by Safari.

The mobile site to me, be it in Chrome or the app is not any better.

BiggAW
Jul 27, 2012, 04:56 PM

It's certainly not Apple's or AT&T's fault that every app on the iPhone except Facebook is pretty fast.