Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zelf24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
On a MacBook Pro 15 inch Mid 2010:

So I noticed something right away while I was resizing my Finder windows back to the way I liked last night- a "List View" Finder window seems to have a "minimum size" tolerance now. I am used to having my windows set to be tall and narrow, and now I can't make it as narrow as I used to.

If I hide the toolbar and hide the status bar, I can shrink the window past the tolerance, and regain the (10.7) size that I want. After doing this, then re-enabling "Show Toolbar" and "Show Status Bar", Finder appears to remember my size preference until I close the window. Re-opening the window expands it back to it's minimum size tolerance again.

10.8.0 bug?

Thanks.

Last edited:

garoto

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2010
On a MacBook Pro 15 inch Mid 2010:

So I noticed something right away while I was resizing my Finder windows back to the way I liked last night- a "List View" Finder window seems to have a "minimum size" tolerance now. I am used to having my windows set to be tall and narrow, and now I can't make it as narrow as I used to.

If I hide the toolbar and hide the status bar, I can shrink the window past the tolerance, and regain the (10.7) size that I want. After doing this, then re-enabling "Show Toolbar" and "Show Status Bar", Finder appears to remember my size preference until I close the window. Re-opening the window expands it back to it's minimum size tolerance again.

10.8.0 bug?

Thanks.

I find it strange that throughout the web, I have only ran into this article. I am facing the exact same issue, and already sent a "Feedback" to Apple, I'm hoping this gets resolved. For the time being, I closed some windows and left open the ones I use most often.

Zelf24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
I find it strange that throughout the web, I have only ran into this article. I am facing the exact same issue, and already sent a "Feedback" to Apple, I'm hoping this gets resolved. For the time being, I closed some windows and left open the ones I use most often.

Garoto, another user is encountering this issue as well, so that makes at least three of us:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1412748/

I'm hoping this issue gets resolved with the next update as well. It's very annoying to not be able to re-size like you want.

Zelf24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
Evidently this is something new across the board in Mac OS 10.8? A friend's new MacBook Pro (running Mountain Lion) has this issue as well. This definitely didn't occur in 10.7, or other revisions before that.

Zelf24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
Just wanted to note that this Finder window issue still occurs in 10.8.1.

Mike in SoCal

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2012
Southern California
Any update on minimum window width?

Finally bought a "new" re-furbished 2011 21" OS 10.8.2 iMac to replace the G5 iMac.

I sell on eBay and keep current items in a narrow List View folder off to the left of my browser window without overlap so I can Drag & Drop text without bringing the browser to the front and having to click on the text document for every new field.

Here's my "Note to self".
Any answers that I don't know about?
Thanks, Mike
=====================================
Windows and folders can not easily be formatted tall and narrow.

Work around that doesn't save the changes.

Open folder to desired hight with Tool bar shown, it will not "narrow" enough to prevent overlapping other applications or windows making it difficult to "drag and drop" information without changing the focus.

PARTIAL WORKAROUND;
1) Open folder / window to any width with Tool Bar showing
2) Hide Tool Bar
3) "slide" window to desired width which will be much thinner than before
(but not as narrow as in Sys. 10.4)
4) Show Tool Bar if desired, window stays narrow

NOTES:
1) Window can be minimized to the dock and re-opened and keep its' size.
2) If the window is closed and re-opened, start all over again.
3) Documents can be made as narrow as necessary.

SOLUTION?
Is there a way to override the system preferences?
From talking to several Apple employees, it is a known problem that they did not have an answer for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.