PDA

View Full Version : Calc Mini: New retina Calc app

wedelgaard
Jul 26, 2012, 11:13 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm Michael and I currently study Multimeda Design and Communications in Denmark.

I've just released my first iOS app (I'm pretty excited about that :) ), which is a minimalistic calculator.

Its a retina app and supports both iPhone and iPad.

Let me know what you guys think of it :) Any comments/suggestions about the app are very welcome.

Website link: http://wedelgaard.dk/calcmini/

App Store link: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/calc-mini/id542755579?ls=1&mt=8

http://wedelgaard.dk/calcmini/images/home-img.png

wedelgaard
Aug 13, 2012, 05:55 AM
Hi guys,

Just wanted to let you know that Calc Mini will be on sale Sunday the 19th of august. The app will be free of charge this day only!

yaymath
Aug 13, 2012, 06:34 AM
You should change your icon and button layout (especially in landscape orientation). The icon sucks and doesn't match the app and I hate the giant [+] button and extremely wide buttons in landscape. Also, the corners of your buttons should be more rounded. You didn't include a [+/] button, which you either forgot about, decided not to include, or replaced its functionality with the [] button. I've attached new button layouts that I prefer. Sorry about the horrible quality, I used Preview to quickly rearrange your buttons. And don't forget to make the corners of your buttons more rounded.

I tried to sound a bit like Steve Jobs, but not as harsh. Hence, a slightly negative comment. Nevertheless, I think it'll make your app much better.

wedelgaard
Aug 13, 2012, 07:54 AM
You should change your icon and button layout (especially in landscape orientation). The icon sucks and doesn't match the app and I hate the giant [+] button and extremely wide buttons in landscape. Also, the corners of your buttons should be more rounded. You didn't include a [+/] button, which you either forgot about, decided not to include, or replaced its functionality with the [] button. I've attached new button layouts that I prefer. Sorry about the horrible quality, I used Preview to quickly rearrange your buttons. And don't forget to make the corners of your buttons more rounded.

I tried to sound a bit like Steve Jobs, but not as harsh. Hence, a slightly negative comment. Nevertheless, I think it'll make your app much better.

I'm glad you have taken your time to write down your constructive cristism, its much appreciated :) Not including the +/- is a choice to keep it as minimalistic as possible.

Regarding the layout in landscape mode - I guess you are right. I will try to come up with a new design for it.

The rounded buttons is a matter of taste I guess, but I will try to play around with it a bit, and see if it looks better with more rounded buttons :)

And thank you again for your suggestions.

wedelgaard
Aug 13, 2012, 09:36 AM
You should change your icon and button layout (especially in landscape orientation). The icon sucks and doesn't match the app and I hate the giant [+] button and extremely wide buttons in landscape. Also, the corners of your buttons should be more rounded. You didn't include a [+/–] button, which you either forgot about, decided not to include, or replaced its functionality with the [–] button. I've attached new button layouts that I prefer. Sorry about the horrible quality, I used Preview to quickly rearrange your buttons. And don't forget to make the corners of your buttons more rounded.

I've made a mockup of the new landscape design. How about this?

http://wedelgaard.dk/calcmini/mockup-landscape.png

I've added a "percentage" button since the design required an extra button, unless I make the Clear button double width.

yaymath
Aug 13, 2012, 10:37 AM
I've added a "percentage" button since the design required an extra button, unless I make the Clear button double width.

Please don't make the Clear button larger! And good idea with a percentage button! Maybe you could let the user switch it from percentage to square root in the Settings app? (as there is clearly no need to put settings menu right in your app)

And how do you manage entering negative numbers without a [+/] button? Sorry I don't have your app yet so I don't know. It would be good to let the user tap on the minus sign first before entering a number to make it negative.

You could also separate the number buttons and operation buttons a little in the landscape mode, like I did, to keeps the aspect ratio of the buttons the same.

I used SketchBook to quickly make a rough sketch of the icon that I would use in your place. What do you think of it?

Mawal
Aug 13, 2012, 12:23 PM
bought the app, nice start but

3 button sizes and 3 colors are far from minimal

the background is ugly and distracting

performance on an Ipad 3 is poor

the app icon is ugly to the extreme, no blue please and make it somehow 3d looking

so make it minimal, make it beautiful, make it fast, reduce to the max!

yaymath
Aug 13, 2012, 12:32 PM
3 colors are far from minimal

Look carefully! It has four button colors.

DaSal
Aug 13, 2012, 12:34 PM
Please don't make the Clear button larger! And good idea with a percentage button! Maybe you could let the user switch it from percentage to square root in the Settings app? (as there is clearly no need to put settings menu right in your app)

And how do you manage entering negative numbers without a [+/] button? Sorry I don't have your app yet so I don't know. It would be good to let the user tap on the minus sign first before entering a number to make it negative.

You could also separate the number buttons and operation buttons a little in the landscape mode, like I did, to keeps the aspect ratio of the buttons the same.

I used SketchBook to quickly make a rough sketch of the icon that I would use in your place. What do you think of it?

Eh. The "new icon" looks terrible. The original looks way better, imo. (Though that one isn't great, either). I agree with making something that's a little closer to the aesthetic of the app itself but this isn't the right way.

Besides that, the app looks nice enough, but I won't be buying it. I just don't see the point in buying a calculator when the iPhone ships with one, that honestly, is almost as minimalistic, more functional and has, arguably, more interesting design.

I like the idea of a "designer's calculator" but I think it can be a lot more high concept than this.

wedelgaard
Aug 13, 2012, 04:32 PM
bought the app, nice start but

3 button sizes and 3 colors are far from minimal

the background is ugly and distracting

performance on an Ipad 3 is poor

the app icon is ugly to the extreme, no blue please and make it somehow 3d looking

so make it minimal, make it beautiful, make it fast, reduce to the max!

I'm very surprised that you say it runs poorly on an iPad 3. Could you specify what seems slow? I have an iPad 2 and iPhone 4 it runs fine on those devices, and they are both slower than the iPad 3. I even had it tested on an iPhone 3GS, and no problems here either. You are the first to point this out.

I will take your criticism of the design into my consideration :)

----------

Interesting, I guess the icon it self is too far away from the design of the app. I'll see what I can come up with :)