PDA

View Full Version : Apple Mistakenly Sending Out OS X Server Replacement Up-to-Date Codes

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Jul 26, 2012, 11:19 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/26/apple-mistakenly-sending-out-os-x-server-replacement-up-to-date-codes/)

Yesterday, we noted (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/25/apples-os-x-mountain-lion-up-to-date-program-experiencing-early-hiccups/) that Apple's Up-to-Date program allowing recent Mac purchasers to receive free upgrades to OS X Mountain Lion was experiencing some early hiccups, with users receiving Mac App Store redemption codes that were registering as invalid. Customer support representatives were advising users that Apple was aware of the issue and would be automatically issuing replacement codes but that the process could take up to three days.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/07/os_x_mountain_lion_server_icons.jpg

While many of these replacement codes are already coming through, users today have begun reporting (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=15334355#post15334355) that Apple is mistakenly sending out codes for the OS X Server components of Mountain Lion rather than Mountain Lion itself.I just got my second code and was able to redeem it. The only problem is when it redeemed it came up with an error saying OSX Server cannot be downloaded because it requires OSX 10.8.0 to run. It seems they sent me a redemption code for server instead of mountain lion. The pdf with the code clearly says that the code is for mountain lion...

My purchased tab only shows OSX Server - no mountain lion...At least half a dozen users have reported the same problem, with the issue presumably affecting a much greater number of users receiving codes today. One user who called Apple about the issue was advised to file another request through Apple's uptodatesupport@apple.com support mechanism.

OS X Server is also available through the Up-to-Date program, but is limited to users who purchased server models of the company's Mac Pro and Mac mini lines.

Article Link: Apple Mistakenly Sending Out OS X Server Replacement Up-to-Date Codes (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/26/apple-mistakenly-sending-out-os-x-server-replacement-up-to-date-codes/)

TC400
Jul 26, 2012, 11:19 AM
Wow they really have been having issues with this whole program! hope they get it fixed!

Pivs
Jul 26, 2012, 11:20 AM
Well at least I now have a copy of OS X Server. Too bad it won't run without ML. And the waiting game begins anew.

petrucci666
Jul 26, 2012, 11:21 AM
Steve never would've let this happen!:apple:

afurry13
Jul 26, 2012, 11:22 AM
Wow, what a complete and total screw up by apple

Where's the down vote when you need it? :rolleyes:

rafaltrus
:eek::eek::eek:

hobo.hopkins

I think Apple's history of releases might not coincide with that belief.

davys
Jul 26, 2012, 11:23 AM
Looks like Apple's codes department recently hired the Marx Brothers

Wokis
Jul 26, 2012, 11:24 AM
Still waiting for my first code over here..

Won't pay out of principle. They should not earn more money by crippling their promised upgrade program. That's not teaching them a lession for the next time..

JayLenochiniMac
Jul 26, 2012, 11:24 AM
Apple needs to rethink their up-to-date strategy. Why require a redemption code at all? Software update and the App Store already know what Mac you have. Just push the new OS to eligible machines.

TheByrus
Jul 26, 2012, 11:26 AM
Pretty sure the Apple "UpToDate program" is just a macro that sends your request directly to the server trashbin.

MBPR request is 28 hours and counting.

Prof.
Jul 26, 2012, 11:26 AM
Oh JOY! I'm this close to just buying ML. I have 10.50 credit from the Back to School promotion.

coolfilmaker
Jul 26, 2012, 11:28 AM
Maybe it would get their attention if I returned my computer.

mdelaney123
Jul 26, 2012, 11:28 AM
I am still waiting for my code. Put in the request yesterday at 4:30pm... Hasn't been 24 hours yet, but I am not getting a good feeling that they will make it on time.

dbyway
Jul 26, 2012, 11:29 AM
They're probably seeing how many suckers they can get to just buy it because they're not making money off us... :rolleyes:

frolo
Jul 26, 2012, 11:31 AM
Sounds like they're screwing up big time with the up-to-date program. I have yet to receive my code and it's been over the initially quoted 24 hours.

mr.steevo
Jul 26, 2012, 11:31 AM
Maybe it would get their attention if I returned my computer.

Maybe not.

rickdollar
Jul 26, 2012, 11:32 AM
At least they weren't sending codes for Windows 7.

aziatiklover
Apple needs to rethink their up-to-date strategy. Why require a redemption code at all? Software update and the App Store already know what Mac you have. Just push the new OS to eligible machines.

True, but it wouldnt assigned to your apple ID purchased history! You actually need a redeem code for it to remember in your apple ID history.

l.w41sh
Oh JOY! I'm this close to just buying ML. I have 10.50 credit from the Back to School promotion.

I bought it last night. I am going to ask for a refund once I get my code.

:D

kazmac
Jul 26, 2012, 11:33 AM
Wow, hope these folks get their proper copy of ML.

Apple seems to drop the ball when it comes to software launches through the Mac App store - I seem to remember something wonky with Lion as well.

I guess if/when I get another Mac, I'll definitely wait until both the hardware kinks are worked out and the most up-to-date OS is installed.

This is an unfortunate indicator that patience is a good thing when it comes to technology.

george-brooks
Jul 26, 2012, 11:33 AM
They just want to make the people getting it for free have to wait as long as possible so they get fed up and just spend the $20

deannnnn
Jul 26, 2012, 11:35 AM
I am still waiting for my code. Put in the request yesterday at 4:30pm... Hasn't been 24 hours yet, but I am not getting a good feeling that they will make it on time.

I put mine in yesterday at 11:30am (Eastern), so it's been about 25 hours. Still nothing.

slicecom
Jul 26, 2012, 11:35 AM

Haven't been around that long, have you?

GREEN4U
Jul 26, 2012, 11:36 AM
This is why I'm waiting until it comes pre-installed to buy my Macbook Air.

What a mess. For shame Tim.

JayLenochiniMac
Jul 26, 2012, 11:36 AM
True, but it wouldnt assigned to your apple ID purchased history! You actually need a redeem code for it to remember in your apple ID history.

I'm sure they can figure out how to push it automatically and assign it to apple ID purchased history when prompted to install.

Prof.
Jul 26, 2012, 11:38 AM
I bought it last night. I am going to ask for a refund once I get my code.

JUST GOT MY CODE!!!! :D :D :D 28 hours later... LOL

EDIT: It's for OS X Server... :mad::mad::mad:

brutusfly
Jul 26, 2012, 11:38 AM
I'm one of the ones described who's replacement code fix ended up being for Server. I called and they are really scrambling to try and fix itI'll give them that.
Early adopters: Those most likely to get burned and least likely to take it well.

rufwork
Jul 26, 2012, 11:39 AM

Well, honestly though, it didn't happen when Jobs was around. You can't say he's the reason, obviously, as that's a heck of a trickle down, but overall the place doesn't seem as tight and deliberate a ship as it did before. I'm too lazy to dig up the little mistakes to make a case right now, but someone should.

Management changes can change a company. That's not exceptionally controversial. I don't think anyone's arguing Cook has made things run more smoothly.

Derekuda
Jul 26, 2012, 11:42 AM
I bet someones gonna get fired at apple for the giant screw-up.

http://images.wikia.com/uncyclopedia/images/5/52/Double-facepalm.jpg

l.w41sh
Jul 26, 2012, 11:43 AM

Just buy it.

aziatiklover
I'm sure they can figure out how to push it automatically and assign it to apple ID purchased history when prompted to install.

Yeap you are right, but think about it. They cant even pull up with this easy way. So I dont think they will be able to do an innovating way! :D

FtrV8
Someone would get fired under Steve's watch for this, but Cook seems to be too nice of a fellow to fire anyone over this.

JayLenochiniMac
Jul 26, 2012, 11:46 AM
Well, honestly though, it didn't happen when Jobs was around. You can't say he's the reason, obviously, as that's a heck of a trickle down, but overall the place doesn't seem as tight and deliberate a ship as it did before. I'm too lazy to dig up the little mistakes to make a case right now, but someone should.

Management changes can change a company. That's not exceptionally controversial. I don't think anyone's arguing Cook has made things run more smoothly.

What is "it"? Many different missteps happened when Jobs was around.

If MobileMe debuted after Jobs's death, you'd be screaming the place had gone off the deep end!

cvam1985
Jul 26, 2012, 11:47 AM
Anyone else feel pretty bad about Apple's customer satisfaction skills with this deal?

I'm looking at it this way ....

This "up to date" program would have better been handled by sending these codes the day before the public release of ML.

That way, those of us who spent over a thousand bucks on a new machine with the promise of being updated to ML would be completely happy with the purchase.

Unfortunately, as always is the case with Apple and most large tech corps, they are only caring about making more money - trying to get as many $20.00 purchases as possible. Leaving those who just bought a shiny new Mac (like me) in the dark.

Not a huge deal - it's just a few days. But still, sour apple taste in my mouth for sure.

markcres
Jul 26, 2012, 11:47 AM
This is the beginning of the end for :apple:

Badandy
Jul 26, 2012, 11:48 AM

Well, it did happen. Lots. MobileMe, iCloud, the first iPhone, etc. The list goes on.

jcpb
Working as intended.

Nothing to see here folks, move along. :rolleyes:

slicecom
What is "it"? Many different missteps happened when Jobs was around.

If MobileMe debuted after Jobs's death, you'd be screaming the place had gone off the deep end!

Can you imagine how many "Steve would never have let this happen"s we'd have to endure if antennagate happened after his death!? :eek::rolleyes:

ump1027
Put mine in first thing yesterday morning still no response

Beachguy
Jul 26, 2012, 11:50 AM
I just wish they would send mine so I could update my Macs. I sent mine yesterday morning and have heard nothing.

hoits2000

Ever heard of Ping?

mdapple
holy $#@! apple you are going way downhill. This isn't even a matter of difficulty at this point. This is just pure negligence.

ValSalva
Jul 26, 2012, 11:51 AM

Exactly. This is a bunch of extra work for both users and Apple. Now we know how App developers feel when for no reason App approvals get delayed or denied. Once again the human element at Apple fails.

Windlasher
Jul 26, 2012, 11:52 AM
They just want to make the people getting it for free have to wait as long as possible so they get fed up and just spend the $20

Yeah... Close to a hundred billion in the bank and they are worried about your twenty dollars. NOT!

dailybibliotaph
Jul 26, 2012, 11:52 AM

Same here. This is going beyond a farce and into complete idiocy by Apple. Really? Is it so hard for them to do this correctly.

And for the idiots who blather, "just buy it". Many of us already did. I got sick of waiting and bought it for my rMBP yesterday. I wanted to use the new code for one of my other 2 MBP and 27-inch iMac. What a complete failure of execution.

Daws001
Jul 26, 2012, 11:53 AM
Le sigh. It's been almost 24hrs and no code. I'm trying to not think about it go to my happy place. It's not working too great.

keysofanxiety
Jul 26, 2012, 11:53 AM
Wow, so some of you got codes for Mountain Lion server? Count yourselves lucky. When I used my code, it started downloading this weird OS called 'Puma', and said I needed something called a 'PPC' to run it. Any ideas? :p

AzN1337c0d3r
Jul 26, 2012, 11:54 AM
I got my code and it was for Mountain Lion.

But this latest screwup makes me wonder if Apple is using Chinese teenagers who can't read English to do verification instead of using a computer -_-

zzLZHzz
Jul 26, 2012, 11:55 AM

exactly so however it won't know the date that it is sold unless there is grace period.

cowtownapple
Jul 26, 2012, 11:59 AM

Image (http://images.wikia.com/uncyclopedia/images/5/52/Double-facepalm.jpg)

man, you beat me to it with the face palm...

I keep checking my email with the same frequency that I did (for over a week) when I ordered the Retina MBP. I need to forget about ML for 24 hours and find something else to occupy my time.

Texas
sent claim over Wednesday 9am CST.

jdefraine
Try to redeem the code yesterday, advised ... i had already used it !

E-mailed App store help e-mail, very helpful .... got a reply and advise it would be checked and processed with 48hrs

tonight, 24hrs later, got the replacement code ... but server edition ! DOOH !

E-mail app store AGAIN ... and the wait continues .................

DJAKO
I put mine in yesterday at 11:30am (Eastern), so it's been about 25 hours. Still nothing.

Same here.

CKohkah
Jul 26, 2012, 12:01 PM
This just happened to me. Got Server instead of Mountain Lion. This sucks.

Prof.
Jul 26, 2012, 12:01 PM
Sooooo the money they're making from the people who bought ML is now going out the window because now all these people have free versions of OS X Server. Serves apple right!

amosquito
Jul 26, 2012, 12:02 PM
I put in requests for two qualifying computers yesterday at 9:30AM EST.

So far:

3 "has ben used" codes
2 Server codes

Am3r1ca16
Wow i woke up today and saw that i have gotten a a new code in my email. thinking this time the code would work i get a OS X server download -.- Well at least i got a free $20 software which i'll never use. But anyways now i have to wait for them to give me a new code again. i though i was the only one with the wrong download.

autrefois
Apple: the company that ignited the personal computer revolution, reinvented the mobile phone and tablet, but can't for the life of them figure out how to do redemption codes.

hornmann
Jul 26, 2012, 12:03 PM
Same thing happened to me. When I called they put me on the phone with a "high level" Apple support person who told me I was now in a different waiting line and should get yet another code (code number 3 for me) within 72 hours.

I was very patient yesterday but am getting less so today.

KPOM
Jul 26, 2012, 12:04 PM
This is slowly turning into a bit of a nightmare for Apple! Hopefully they fix this with the next major update. By and large, the App Store seems to be handling the load just fine. It's just this up-to-date process that is messing up.

I wonder if they meant to give Server versions as a complimentary upgrade for the inconvenience?

Pianoblack3
Jul 26, 2012, 12:05 PM
Wow, so some of you got codes for Mountain Lion server? Count yourselves lucky. When I used my code, it started downloading this weird OS called 'Puma', and said I needed something called a 'PPC' to run it. Any ideas? :p

I'm sorry to be a nit-picker, but there was actually never an OS called Puma, it was merely a code name at the time, you know, like Whistler was for XP? And with it being 10.1, i'd nearly have given you credit but 10.0 'Cheetah' would have been better :P

ddevore9
Jul 26, 2012, 12:05 PM
I put in for a new Air yesterday at around 10:00 and have heard nothing. Ten minutes ago I put in for a Mini server and received two licenses for server, even though one of the PDFs said it was for Mountain Lion...

JFKinDC
Jul 26, 2012, 12:07 PM
Still waiting. Made request at 8:30 am and haven't received anything. I have received other emails from apple - app store purchases and a response to my comment on support site. Hard not to feel a little pissy after spending $2,500 (upgrades and applecare) for new 15" non-retina macbook pro.

tmp0404
Jul 26, 2012, 12:10 PM

Same here same amount of wait time same disappointing result. UNBELIEVABLE:mad::mad::mad:

Prof.
Jul 26, 2012, 12:10 PM
I think we shouldn't be publicising these events. Apple is doing their best for consumers. They will make this right. We don't want this kind of negativity surrounding the launch of the greatest desktop operating system ever released.
Tim? Is that you?

ExSierra
Jul 26, 2012, 12:11 PM
Some 30 hours, and no codes received yet. Perhaps they are fixing the codes before beginning to send them out again? :mad:

slicecom
Jul 26, 2012, 12:11 PM
i think we shouldn't be publicising these events. Apple is doing their best for consumers. They will make this right. We don't want this kind of negativity surrounding the launch of the greatest desktop operating system ever released.

lol, you can't be serious...

smartalic34
Jul 26, 2012, 12:12 PM
I suffered through the poorly executed Up-to-Date program last year with Lion... similar issue, though it was with not receiving the codes in the first place vs. them being invalid this time around. Regardless, Apple screwing up two Up-to-Date programs in a row is pretty pathetic...

east85
Jul 26, 2012, 12:13 PM
Someone just lost their job.

kalsta
Jul 26, 2012, 12:15 PM
Steve never would've let this happen!:apple:Where's the down vote when you need it? :rolleyes:

There's no down vote button, but I'm pretty sure humour is still allowed on the forums. That one is heritage listed now, right alongside 'shut up and take my money', and 'that's what she said'.

PracticalMac
Jul 26, 2012, 12:17 PM
QC is slipping...

----------

there's no down vote button, but i'm pretty sure humour is still allowed on the forums. :rolleyes:

nevah!!!! ;)

Prof.
Jul 26, 2012, 12:18 PM
I'm gonna be the one who says it and risk being flamed... You think apple will give us some form of compensation? Normally, I'm not the kind of person who asks for compensation. After all, i work in the retail world and I hate it when people ask "to be reimbursed for the gas it cost them to drive all the way back to the store". However, this is just nucking futs.

coolfilmaker
Jul 26, 2012, 12:18 PM
I think we shouldn't be publicising these events. Apple is doing their best for consumers. They will make this right. We don't want this kind of negativity surrounding the launch of the greatest desktop operating system ever released.

Shut the **** up.

HatterZero
Jul 26, 2012, 12:19 PM
I'm gonna be the one who says it and risk being flamed... You think apple will give us some form of compensation? Normally, I'm not the kind of person who asks for compensation. After all, i work in the retail world and I hate it when people ask "to be reimbursed for the gas it cost them to drive all the way back to the store". However, this is just nucking futs.

So you had to wait a few days, what do you think they should give you?

Prof.
Jul 26, 2012, 12:22 PM
Ahem... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l91ISfcuzDw)

ekdor
I've waited 2 days for my code to arrive. Or some kind of response from Apple. I bought a refurbished iMac a few weeks ago and it is ellegable as far as I can tell. I tried applying again but it said the serial was already claimed so I know they got my first application. No code, statues or rejection email. Checked my details both when filling the forms and afterwards with my ID data. I have given in and bought it. Not at all happy; especially since it was my birthday and would have been a nice gift from Apple, in a manner of speaking. Instead I got hours of waiting for nothing. I've been a Mac user since about 1987 or so and i'm starting to feel let down more and more these past couple of years. Only positive toward Apple is the extremely affordable cost of recent major releases. Perhaps the two things are tied together? Just as well Windows and Android are so sheet or I might consider other options. Not really, not yet, but that does express how I feel at the moment.

jasperk99

An Ipad 3 would be nice......... but I will settle for my redemption code by Friday evening......

HatterZero
Jul 26, 2012, 12:24 PM
Ahem... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l91ISfcuzDw)

Hey you posted it, I was asking a serious question what you think you are entitled to for your compensation you want.

garylapointe
Jul 26, 2012, 12:24 PM

The computers that are eligible should have just come with an "gift card" to redeem for that product.

No reason for people to have to sign up later...

Gary

mattjritter
Jul 26, 2012, 12:25 PM
What a mess. If we don't get our codes by the end of the weekend -- it will be extremely frustrating. The worst part is, it takes a lot of the excitement out of getting the new software.

The whole "Steve never would have let this happen" statement is a bunch of bull. I can hardly remember a smooth-sailing release of any of their products or software.

I also feel bad for all of the folks over at Apple that are having to work even more (and over the weekend) because of this massive glitch.

b11051973
I got a new code, but can't test it until I get home from work.

Sardonick007
So easy to see that Steve is not at the helm. Whether that really matters, hard to say, but I will say that this release has been disappointing from the hiccups to the bugs I'm experiencing in simple things. Some stuff should just not be fixed if it isn't broke. Feels more like a window service pack (along with appropriate blunders) than a release worthy of the Apple moniker.

Prof.
Hey you posted it, I was asking a serious question what you think you are entitled to for your compensation you want.
iTunes/MAS credit for the cost of ML...?

Don't get too excited, it's for OS X Server

mbh
Jul 26, 2012, 12:26 PM
Back in the bad old days you used to have to pay $20 and then wait for a disc to arrive in the mail.

I can wait a few days to get my ML download code.

KdParker
nice..how much does OS X cost? maybe you can treat this a gift.

Sardonick007
Everybody has their own feelings on it and certainly mostly conjecture but I've never had a release from Apple that caused me this many head banging issues.
Steve or not, the QC is not where it should be.

What a mess. If we don't get our codes by the end of the weekend -- it will be extremely frustrating. The worst part is, it takes a lot of the excitement out of getting the new software.

The whole "Steve never would have let this happen" statement is a bunch of bull. I can hardly remember a smooth-sailing release of any of their products or software.

I also feel bad for all of the folks over at Apple that are having to work even more (and over the weekend) because of this massive glitch.

garylapointe
Jul 26, 2012, 12:28 PM

I can check it for you if you want. Just send it to me :)

Gary

amberashby
Happened to me too. How incredibly Sloppy. This is just unbelievable.

I went ahead and got the Golden Master from BT. Same version as what was released. I'll still download the legit one when Apple finally gets it right.

HatterZero
iTunes/MAS credit for the cost of ML...?

The cost was free to you though....so they should give you what you paid for it than?

JayLenochiniMac
Yeap you are right, but think about it. They cant even pull up with this easy way. So I dont think they will be able to do an innovating way! :D

The point is to simplify the process so silly little mistakes like this doesn't happen. We get automatic updates for iOS just fine.

exactly so however it won't know the date that it is sold unless there is grace period.

So use a different criteria and simplify. After all, software drives hardware sales. Buy the machine, get the corresponding updates.

iMacFarlane
Jul 26, 2012, 12:29 PM

So let's say 20,000 people bought a new computer that qualifies. People being impatient, estimate 5% can't wait and buy ML. So Apple might squeak out an additional $20,000 in profit. That's the same as 10 iMacs. Mmmmmmm . . . No.

HatterZero
Jul 26, 2012, 12:29 PM

I went ahead and got the Golden Master from BT. Same version as what was released. I'll still download the legit one when Apple finally gets it right.

I did that a few days ago because I have terribly slow internet and I figured it would be a messy launch.

dbyway
Jul 26, 2012, 12:30 PM
Just buy it.

That's what they want us to do.

Prof.
The cost was free to you though....so they should give you what you paid for it than?
Basically, they'll be paying me to download it. :D

intervenient
Got it too. This is absolute ****

HatterZero
Jul 26, 2012, 12:31 PM
That's what they want us to do.

Can I borrow your tin foil hat?

petrucci666
Jul 26, 2012, 12:33 PM

Come on, it was obviously a joke :)

With all the stupid 'Steve never would've let this happen' comments people are making, I had to throw it in for the most banal of mistakes Apple has made.

ldinstl
Jul 26, 2012, 12:33 PM
It looked to me like the code will only get us a copy of Mountain Lion for the eligible computer (new MBP Retina) and not for any other macs we own.

If so, I'll have to pay the $19.99 anyhow to update my other 3 Macs.

So what's the point? What am I missing here?

petrucci666
Jul 26, 2012, 12:34 PM
There's no down vote button, but I'm pretty sure humour is still allowed on the forums. That one is heritage listed now, right alongside 'shut up and take my money', and 'that's what she said'.

Thank God someone got it! Kudos to you!

JMPATLANTA
Why don't they just give the damn thing away for free for 2 days. They'd end up making quite a bit more by this olive branch.

Submitted same machine (3) times
Received (1) Previously used code
Received (1) MLServer Code

What a FUBAR.

legatoboy
Yup. I think whoever was involved in getting the wrong code should be >>fired<<. The mistake directly impact customers and company's reputation. If they can't handle such thing in a professional manner, they should let others who want to work for Apple do it.

Image (http://images.wikia.com/uncyclopedia/images/5/52/Double-facepalm.jpg)

amberashby

I just got another code for Mountain Lion. At least they fixed their 2nd screw up faster than the first.

b11051973
Jul 26, 2012, 12:36 PM

I just got a third code from Apple. First one I received like 2 hours ago. I wonder if the first one was server and the one I just got is ML??

dbyway
Can I borrow your tin foil hat?

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Keen-Clapping-After-Loss.gif

Cubeeless
Just download Linux in the meantime :eek:

slicecom
Come on, it was obviously a joke :)

With all the stupid 'Steve never would've let this happen' comments people are making, I had to throw it in for the most banal of mistakes Apple has made.

Sadly, it's not that obvious around here that it was a joke. I suppose "Steve never would've let this happen" is the new "Safari feels snappier". Yay for a decade of everyone repeating this new line. :rolleyes:

iMacFarlane
Jul 26, 2012, 12:37 PM

Watchu talkin bout, Willis?!

I was thinking to alter the Fry image to read, "Shut up and take my redemption code!" but I'm on my phone at the dentist's.

All Taken
Jul 26, 2012, 12:38 PM
Wow, just wow. It's only an OS but I paid 1800 for a shiny new retina macbook pro just over 1 month ago and get told I have to wait longer than everyone else to obtain it....

3 days is a joke this side of the millennium, 1800 and you're treated like a second rate customer who will just wait.

Apple screwed up, it happens to everyone but 1800 down on a top of the line machine and they treat people like this?!

What a farce. Torrent for me.

Prof.
Jul 26, 2012, 12:38 PM
Image (http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Keen-Clapping-After-Loss.gif)
For a second, I thought that was Justin Bieber...:o

Dammit Cubs
Jul 26, 2012, 12:40 PM
this is the worst execution by apple in a long time.

It was poorly planned. Not tested and especially not executed. The concept had tons of time to validate ahead of time. And yet, they still dropped the ball.

Someone is getting fired. (if steve jobs was still alive).
Someone is getting a horrible review come bonus time.

iMacFarlane
Jul 26, 2012, 12:41 PM
Why don't they just give the damn thing away for free for 2 days. They'd end up making quite a bit more by this olive branch.

Submitted same machine (3) times
Received (1) Previously used code
Received (1) MLServer Code

What a FUBAR.

How did you reapply for the same machine? I tried that and it kicked out an error that the serial number was already claimed in uptodate.

Obscurelight
Jul 26, 2012, 12:42 PM
I was so sick of waiting so I just went ahead and torrented Mountain Lion and will apply the code to my Apple ID once I received it. Like many others have said I think Apple should've given out the code in advance before release to prevent such a fiasco that is happening at this moment. I think they are also taking advantage of the situation as such to reduce the load on their servers by letting the people who wants to pay for mountain lion download it first. Which isn't by any means the right thing to do.

Prof.
This is making me hungry. I'm going to Chipotle. Anyone want anything? :D

jkichline
This is why I'm waiting until it comes pre-installed to buy my Macbook Air.

What a mess. For shame Tim.

A billion people in this world don't have access to clean drinking water and a few entitled rich folks that don't get their latest operating system instantly is a "shame"? Really? I think us first worlders need a reality shot.

tmp0404
Drum roll please, so just got my 3rd pair of email from Apple, 1st one, code already used, 2nd one, it was for OS X server, and the 3rd,.......IT WORKED, downloading now.

So after I got the 2nd wrong code, I called Apple and explained the situation to them and I sent an email to uptodatesupport. About 1.5 hours later, it appears I received a code that works. Much better response this go around.:)

Prof.
Jul 26, 2012, 12:43 PM
Drum roll please, so just got my 3rd pair of email from Apple, 1st one, code already used, 2nd one, it was for OS X server, and the 3rd,.......IT WORKED, downloading now.

So after I got the 2nd wrong code, I called Apple and explained the situation to them and I sent an email to uptodatesupport. About 1.5 hours later, it appears I received a code that works. Much better response this go around.:)
How much time was in between the second (server) code and the third (ML) code?

Hangover
Jul 26, 2012, 12:47 PM

one ML please :eek:

----------

seriously? we need to make a call??

brutusfly
Jul 26, 2012, 12:48 PM
After the "Server" code and another call to Apple, I received a legit code and ML is downloading. Took about 2:45 after the reissue to get the code Email. :)

freeskier989
Just called AppleCare about this, and first thing the automated prompt asked was "are you calling about Mountain Lion?"

Obviously having a major failure on this, rep told me that the system was down and the engineers said it could take 72 hours to get the system up (think that is bs).

He also said that there is too much load on the servers for downloads and that they are waiting to send codes.... again i think not.

Anyway, Apple does realize what a F-up this is, but like others who do not know better, they are not taking responsibility for their mistake which in this day an age, just means more bad press and spoken words on social, etc. Everyone knows, acknowledge something and stop the bleeding early or things can get out of control quickly... Marketing 101.

emailsfh
Mercury retrograde.

Rodimus Prime
Jul 26, 2012, 12:50 PM
The first screw up was very embarrassing and piss poor. 2nd screw up is complete unacceptable. Sad part is this is not Apple's first time at this level of screw up and chances are will not be the last.

TheByrus
Jul 26, 2012, 12:51 PM
Submitted my claim for the UpToDate program to ThePirateBay and received my download in mere seconds.

Astro7x
Jul 26, 2012, 12:51 PM
Why do people even have to go through this convoluted process? Can't the App Store just check the serial number of the machine you are on and download it for free?

Hangover
Jul 26, 2012, 12:52 PM
Submitted my claim for the UpToDate program to ThePirateBay and received my download in mere seconds.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Ricky.Flores
Jul 26, 2012, 12:52 PM

Oh wow. Great idea. I was thinking to do the same thing for the past couple of days because of all of this excitement/disappointment.

ReddestDream
Jul 26, 2012, 12:53 PM
Just happened to me! First time: Already Used. Second Time: OS X Server.

. . . I just wanna update my rMBP already . . . :(

. . . And I'm not paying $20 to do it! Third time'd better be the charm! :rolleyes:

Pivs
Third code came and it's finally downloading!!! :D

Edit: I emailed them after receiving the server code but never heard back regarding that. Magically about an hour later the third (and correct) code finally arrived. My guess is they're finally getting on top of this little... issue.

Mac21ND
I can see Steve calling these guys into his office, like he did with the MobileMe team, and say, "You should be ashamed!!!!!"

Hangover
Just happened to me! First time: Already Used. Second Time: OS X Server.

. . . I just wanna update my rMBP already . . . :(

others have suggested to call apple care and they are issuing third code and couple of them have reported that the third one worked.

Amazing Iceman
Someone messed up at Apple, most likely the new guy... :D

Well, if someone doesn't care for OS X Server and would like to give away his/her redemption code, please keep me in mind. :D

f00f
Jul 26, 2012, 12:54 PM

I speculated about and last night finally tried a restore from network (option-cmd-R at boot) on my 2012 Air. It seemed commonsensical that Apple's side of the update connection would recognize the machine as eligible for ML and push it over the wire.

Nope. No such luck. It pulled over Lion instead. I guess there needs to be an EFI update or some such to get network restore to pull Mountain Lion.

Hangover
Jul 26, 2012, 12:55 PM
Someone messed up at Apple, most likely the new guy... :D

Well, if someone doesn't care for OS X Server and would like to give away his/her redemption code, please keep me in mind. :D

i am gonna give my second code a try after i go home..

if its a server code, will pm you :eek::eek::eek:

All Taken
A billion people in this world don't have access to clean drinking water and a few entitled rich folks that don't get their latest operating system instantly is a "shame"? Really? I think us first worlders need a reality shot.

I think you need to realise this is not school and this is certainly not a debate on ethics and morality. If a user wants to complain that delivery of the OS was not efficient and thus is a 'shame' then so be it, you're not entitled to place yourself on a pedestal for all to look up to.

Maybe you could go and start a thread about Third world issues and the greed of corporations in the community section of the forums? 'Nuff Said :rolleyes:

WordMasterRice
Just buy it.

He already did when he bought the computer...

ReddestDream
others have suggested to call apple care and they are issuing third code and couple of them have reported that the third one worked.

I already emailed them again. Should I call too?

He [She] already did when he [she] bought the computer...

Damn Right! :cool:

Hangover
Jul 26, 2012, 12:56 PM
he already did when he bought the computer...

:d :d :d :d

Prof.
one ML please :eek:
Not sure if they make ML burritos, but I'll ask. :p

tmp0404
How much time was in between the second (server) code and the third (ML) code?

Again, called Apple Support and sent an email and about 1 hours 30 minutes later, I got my 2 emails from Apple with a code that worked.

Amazing Iceman
Jul 26, 2012, 12:57 PM
Watchu talkin bout, Willis?!

I was thinking to alter the Fry image to read, "Shut up and take my redemption code!" but I'm on my phone at the dentist's.

+1 for being on your phone at the dentist. Smile, but don't open your mouth or else... [insert drilling sound here] ! :D

Hangover
I already emailed them again. Should I call too?

couple of them said they gave a call.. i hope that doesn't hurt :)

EDIT: nevermind.. i got a code today morng at 12:20 PM EST. i didn't give a call or email to anyone. i got another code just now. i hope it must be ML :D

Mac21ND
Can they at least fix the RSS feed in Safari 6 for Lion while I'm waiting for my code! :mad:

Amazing Iceman
Jul 26, 2012, 12:58 PM
i am gonna give my second code a try after i go home..

if its a server code, will pm you :eek::eek::eek:

Thanks!

jlocker
Jul 26, 2012, 12:59 PM
No I do not want more new iTunes music today! Yes I would like my copy of Mountain Lion from the order from 28 hours ago :)

Continuing updating old Apps on the Lion OS getting ready for Mountain Lion, or wait for 10.9 Catwoman OS to ship, see which one gets here first :)

Hangover
Jul 26, 2012, 01:00 PM
Seems like apple is sending codes again.

I got a code today morning at 12:20 EST . (didn't try it as i was at work :eek:)

just now got another code (didn't try that too --- you know why :P)

Rogifan
Jul 26, 2012, 01:00 PM
I thought Tim was this operations guru? You'd think if anything under his watch stuff like this wouldn't happen. But I disagree with those who think he's too nice....I get the impression he's not someone you'd want to piss off. I'd imagine someone (or some team) got their a** chewed out and it wouldn't surprise me if someone was re-assigned or fired over it.

Hangover
Jul 26, 2012, 01:01 PM
No I do not want more new iTunes music today! Yes I would like my copy of Mountain Lion from the order from 28 hours ago :)

Continuing updating old Apps on the Lion OS getting ready for Mountain Lion, or wait for 10.9 Catwoman OS to ship, see which one gets here first :)

probably Tim Cook comes first :P

ReddestDream
Jul 26, 2012, 01:03 PM
I got a third code just now! Hope it works! :rolleyes:

Edit: Praise Steve! It works! ;) :apple:

drewyboy
Jul 26, 2012, 01:04 PM

how the f do you get 3 and i get none :( I'm going to cry in a corner and when my boss comes by and asks me what the heck i'm doing... i'm going to say "mountain lion.... wwwhaaaaaaa". but seriously, how do you get 3 and i'm empty handed? did you get to keep the server version or did they remove it?

Hangover
Jul 26, 2012, 01:04 PM
I got a third code just now! Hope it works! :rolleyes:

waiting for your EDIT :eek:

lincbarr
Jul 26, 2012, 01:05 PM
The code I received yesterday morning created the response that it was previously used. The code I received mid-day today was for the Server version. Bummer! :(

Hangover
Jul 26, 2012, 01:06 PM
how the f do you get 3 and i get none :( I'm going to cry in a corner and when my boss comes by and asks me what the heck i'm doing... i'm going to say "mountain lion.... wwwhaaaaaaa". but seriously, how do you get 3 and i'm empty handed? did you get to keep the server version or did they remove it?

when did you submit your request? sorry, if you have already mentioned it in this thread.

----------

The code I received yesterday morning created the response that it was previously used. The code I received mid-day today was for the Server version. Bummer! :(

you will be receiving another code in couple hours. and it should be ML. you don't need to do anything (worked this way for me :eek:)

drewyboy
Jul 26, 2012, 01:06 PM
Not sure if they make ML burritos, but I'll ask. :p

I'll take hardshell, steak, mild, cheese, sour cream and lettuce. send it to Refuge Media Group in Duluth,MN. Thanks! I'll hit you up when I see you next.

ekdor
Jul 26, 2012, 01:08 PM
It looked to me like the code will only get us a copy of Mountain Lion for the eligible computer (new MBP Retina) and not for any other macs we own.

That's why I decided that buy would likely be best option. I decided if I have to way the rest of the day $20 is worth it and I will know for sure all our macs will be ellegable without fuss. 3 computers in our case it's a bargain. Still Apple offered the free upgrade which did influence my purchase so I would like them make good. Now that I don't need the code I'd like something else, perhaps an iTunes gift card?

ReddestDream
Jul 26, 2012, 01:09 PM
waiting for your EDIT :eek:

Check now! FYI, it worked! Downloading now! Like a boss! :cool:

Hangover
Jul 26, 2012, 01:10 PM
Check now! FYI, it worked! Downloading now! :cool:

cool. thanks . you are my dream boy :p

coolfilmaker
Jul 26, 2012, 01:11 PM
I can't believe I spent all day yesterday worrying about this. It took me under an hour from start to finish to install it via torrent.

You're literally paying $20 for a 4 GB download, not actually for the software.

ReddestDream
Jul 26, 2012, 01:12 PM
cool. thanks . you are my dream boy :p

BTW, I'm a girl! ;)

Hope that doesn't change anything between us! :D :p

Asclepio
the problem is because you're holding the code wrong. it worked great for me.

iamthekiller
Jesus christ, you people love to complain. Relax. You'll get your code.

Prof.
Just got the 1st (third) email automatically. Just waiting on the PDF.

Hangover
Jul 26, 2012, 01:14 PM
BTW, I'm a girl! ;)

Hope that doesn't change anything between us! :D :p

are you?? :eek: you are my Dream girl :D

OneMike
Jul 26, 2012, 01:14 PM
Got my third code and am finally all set :D

After a broken Mountain Lion Code

Working OS X Server Code

Finally I get a working Mountain Lion code

Hangover
Jul 26, 2012, 01:15 PM
the problem is because you're holding the code wrong. it worked great for me.

Seriously?????? :eek::eek: around 100-200 people here are holding it wrong???? :D

ekdor
Jul 26, 2012, 01:20 PM
I still haven't got my first code. I applied right at the start. Second try which got the serial already registers error about an hour later.

cgk.emu
Jul 26, 2012, 01:21 PM
My oh my, would you just listen to all these first world problems?

Hangover
Jul 26, 2012, 01:22 PM
I still haven't got my first code. I applied right at the start. Second try which got the serial already registers error about an hour later.

if you get that error, apple has recorded you.. i suggest to wait for couple hours. if not by then, just give a call and let them know.

----------

My oh my, would you just listen to all these first world problems?

OH YEAAAAAAAH.... i am hearing you . :D

oldcelt
Jul 26, 2012, 01:25 PM
I submitted my form as soon as it came live yesterday.
So far NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No codes AT ALL.
emailed support yesterday and got an email saying it might take 24 hrs and if I had not heard by today to get back in touch. Haven't heard so emailed again. 6 hours ago. NOTHING. Emailed again. NOTHING.
Where are you guys that have got codes?
:confused::confused::confused::confused:

ReddestDream
Jul 26, 2012, 01:26 PM
Seriously?????? :eek::eek: around 100-200 people here are holding it wrong???? :D

(: sıɥʇ ǝʞıן buıɥʇǝɯos sɐʍ ʇı ssǝnb ı

iSee
Jul 26, 2012, 01:27 PM
that Apple is mistakenly sending out codes for the OS X Server components of Mountain Lion rather than Mountain Lion itself.

I think the team that developed "Podcasts" app must have been reassigned to the ML-up-to-date project, and brought their usual level of compatency.

Hangover
Jul 26, 2012, 01:31 PM
(: sıɥʇ ǝʞıן buıɥʇǝɯos sɐʍ ʇı ssǝnb ı

): ?siht ekil ton yhw

or

yhw ton ekil siht? :)

Bluethree
Jul 26, 2012, 01:36 PM
Folks I just threw the head up and went to buy Mountain Lion as I was giving up on the up to date program delivering before I head off on Saturday for a week. Interestingly having registered the serial of my MBR over 24 hours back I went to the App store and purchased in frustration only to find that on buying it told me that I had ALREADY purchased but I could download for free again. The purchase date is showing some two weeks back in or around the date my MBR was shipped. Hope this helps some or maybe I have just been lucky......... :)

tmp0404
Jul 26, 2012, 01:38 PM

After getting a valid code on my 3rd try, I now have ML installed on my 2012 macbook air, it took about 20 minutes or less to install. Before I ran the installer, I made a bootable copy of ML on a USB drive. And yes, ML Server is still available to me. Good luck to all, again, there just has to be a better way to do this the next time around.

And Mr. Cook, send out some kind of statement about this fiasco, it will make us all feel better.

JHankwitz
Jul 26, 2012, 01:53 PM

This code stuff has nothing to do with you buying Mountain Lion. The code is only for those that recently purchased a Mac and are trying to get their free upgrade to Mountain Lion. Everyone is able to purchase Mountain Lion for $20 for up to 10 Macs without any problem.

tutubibi
Jul 26, 2012, 01:54 PM

You don't get it.
Our concern is exactly that world problems will be solved before we get our ML upgrade code.

cwagz78
Jul 26, 2012, 01:54 PM
I think the team that developed "Podcasts" app must have been reassigned to the ML-up-to-date project, and brought their usual level of compatency.

No kidding!

Prof.
Jul 26, 2012, 01:56 PM
This code stuff has nothing to do with you buying Mountain Lion. The code is only for those that recently purchased a Mac and are trying to get their free upgrade to Mountain Lion. Everyone is able to purchase Mountain Lion for $20 for up to 10 Macs without any problem.
I'm aware. I'm eligible for up-to-date so i don't want to buy ML.

AfzalivE
Filed a claim after spending the $20 and they made an exception :)

cwagz78

I am sure you had a nice clean glass of water today.

Prof.
Jul 26, 2012, 01:59 PM
Okay, I got the first email that contains the PDF unlock code, but not the second one. Called apple and they said it can take up to 72 hours for the second email to come though. Even though the last two times they were both within 5 minutes of each other...

iMacFarlane
Jul 26, 2012, 02:01 PM
There we go. Sorry in advance . . .

Jevus2006
Jul 26, 2012, 02:03 PM
Folks I just threw the head up and went to buy Mountain Lion as I was giving up on the up to date program delivering before I head off on Saturday for a week. Interestingly having registered the serial of my MBR over 24 hours back I went to the App store and purchased in frustration only to find that on buying it told me that I had ALREADY purchased but I could download for free again. The purchase date is showing some two weeks back in or around the date my MBR was shipped. Hope this helps some or maybe I have just been lucky......... :)

Mind taking a screenshot of the purchased date?

bryanescuela
Jul 26, 2012, 02:05 PM

Gosh! Your MacRumors level should be set back to "macrumors newbie"

0xgone
Jul 26, 2012, 02:09 PM
Bluethree thank you so much !!!!! :):):):):):):):)
Thanks for being a Guinna pig on this one. I tried what you said and it worked for me too !! I'm already done downloading it (i've got fiber optics). Thanks a lot from France.

TheByrus
Jul 26, 2012, 02:15 PM
MBR is 31 hours, nothing

slicecom
Jul 26, 2012, 02:16 PM
Bluethree thank you so much !!!!! :):):):):):):):)
Thanks for being a Guinna pig on this one. I tried what you said and it worked for me too !! I'm already done downloading it (i've got fiber optics). Thanks a lot from France.

lol @ the people in this thread who claimed they got fed up and "bought it". Bluethree was apparently the first one to actually attempt to buy it for real.

0xgone
Jul 26, 2012, 02:18 PM
Everyone don't be afraid to try Bluethree's tip. When you click on "buy" it will ask you to confirm the purchase if Mountain Lion is not registered as purchased by you. If the AppStore acutally sees that you have a redeem code it will no ask you to confirm but just tell you that you can download it.

PS: funny thing is that it took me 5 minutes to download and now I have to wait 30 minutes for it to write on my slow USB key ...:eek:

NutFlush920
Jul 26, 2012, 02:19 PM
How are y'all getting your 3rd code already and I haven't even gotton my first? I signed up like an hour after the site went live for requests.

eyehop
Jul 26, 2012, 02:20 PM
I never received a code. Went ahead and bought it after waiting a few hours.

Thunderhawks
Jul 26, 2012, 02:21 PM

From everything I can gather:

THE END IS NEAR!!! People aren't getting their code immediately:

Apple sets alert code to DEFCON 1

over this issue.

It's not clear though if that is DEFCON 1 like the military uses or if it relates to the hacker organization DEFCON.

oldcelt
Jul 26, 2012, 02:25 PM
Everyone don't be afraid to try Bluethree's tip. When you click on "buy" it will ask you to confirm the purchase if Mountain Lion is not registered as purchased by you. If the AppStore acutally sees that you have a redeem code it will no ask you to confirm but just tell you that you can download it.

PS: funny thing is that it took me 5 minutes to download and now I have to wait 30 minutes for it to write on my slow USB key ...:eek:

Did you have to sign in with your Apple ID?

Daws001
Jul 26, 2012, 02:25 PM
You don't get it.
Our concern is exactly that world problems will be solved before we get our ML upgrade code.

I lol'd so hard!

Now I'm sad because it's probably true. Up to 27hrs and counting...le sigh.

0xgone
Jul 26, 2012, 02:28 PM

Yes. I hesitated on this step but I was pretty sure the app store would ask for confirmation if it actually used my credit card. Next step was the message saying that I had already purchased it.

macguybaltimore
Jul 26, 2012, 02:32 PM
Signed up 10:00 yesterday, still no code. However, Apple was nice enough to email me at 11:40pm while I was trying to sleep an ad for Mountain Lion, urging me to upgrade.

scottct1
Jul 26, 2012, 02:33 PM
Still not a single email from Apple on getting my code.

The only email I got was one telling me that ML has been released.

drbotts
Jul 26, 2012, 02:35 PM
Double face palm. Someone will hear it for this one.

jlocker
Jul 26, 2012, 02:36 PM

Unless you want two copies :)

imageWIS
Jul 26, 2012, 02:38 PM
I think Apple's history of releases might not coincide with that belief.

And there is the different between belief and fact.

drewyboy
Jul 26, 2012, 02:41 PM
Ok, so... I tried BlueThree's method. Yeah, got screwed. Apparently mine hasn't gone through or something like that because it instantly took out of my iTunes credit. So... it's downloading and I've email Apple support acting like an idiot saying I typed my code in, selected mountain lion, then noticed as it was downloading it had deducted from my iTunes credit so the code must have been bad. So I asked for a new code + a refund on the credit. Figure, screw it, it's already a complete mess, so at least I'll have ML and just work it out with them later.

Edit: all which is technically true

terryblyth
Jul 26, 2012, 02:43 PM
In the end I just bit the bullet and bought it. I'll have a pop at claiming it back, but I'm not holding out too much hope!

Bluethree
Jul 26, 2012, 02:47 PM
Mind taking a screenshot of the purchased date?

I don't really mind but why ? :confused:

Swytch
Jul 26, 2012, 02:50 PM
I think one thing a lot of people are forgetting is the simple fact that Offering this Up to Date Program is something only apple does. What other company gives a free software upgrade just because you purchased hardware that doesnt even require the upgrade in the recent past?

So what if this seemingly simple task has been screwed up twice? waiting a few days for something for free is hardly worth getting frustrated over. Before downloads you would have had to wait for it in the mail anyways.

And do you really think this is worth someone losig their job over? I mean what if you got fired for making one simple mistake? People make mistakes... and this is fixable and doesnt adversly affect or cost anyone anything (do not count people who decided to buy it anyways, they are not responsible for your impatience)

but people just like to complain i guess...

0xgone
Jul 26, 2012, 02:51 PM
I don't really mind but why ? :confused:

My purchase date is the 26th. But I guess it just means they validated my redeem code internally today. I bet that the same trick would not have worked yesterday. Anyway that does not change the fact that this is a total debacle for Apple.

@Swytch: there is no way I would have bought my macbook before ML if it was not included in the offer

phillipduran
Jul 26, 2012, 02:52 PM

First the Podcast app and now this. :(

SkyGuy79
Jul 26, 2012, 02:53 PM
I called Apple's HQ and asked to speak with Customer Relations and the very nice lady on the phone told me to go ahead and purchase Mountain Lion then once I get my code contact iTunes support and request a refund and provide my code to iTunes support as proof then enter the ML code to redeem then suspend the download as I'll already have the new OS installed. Its convoluted, but I'm downloading ML right now. I hope Apple gets its ***** together for the next launch *sigh*.

gwelmarten
Jul 26, 2012, 02:53 PM

It's true - why would you want to downvote it?

slrandall
Jul 26, 2012, 02:56 PM
Didn't know if this happened for anyone else, but about 30 mins. after I got the code for OS X Server, I got another one that worked for ML. So now I have both. Win in my book.

adster
Jul 26, 2012, 02:59 PM
I think one thing a lot of people are forgetting is the simple fact that Offering this Up to Date Program is something only apple does. What other company gives a free software upgrade just because you purchased hardware that doesnt even require the upgrade in the recent past?

So what if this seemingly simple task has been screwed up twice? waiting a few days for something for free is hardly worth getting frustrated over. Before downloads you would have had to wait for it in the mail anyways.

And do you really think this is worth someone losig their job over? I mean what if you got fired for making one simple mistake? People make mistakes... and this is fixable and doesnt adversly affect or cost anyone anything (do not count people who decided to buy it anyways, they are not responsible for your impatience)

Actually, almost every company does this. When Adobe announced a new CS version (usually every year around April) but it wont be for sale for another month or two, everyone who purchased it in that time frame gets a free upgrade. Microsoft used to do with with XP when Vista was announced, Vista when Windows 7 was announced and now with Windows 8 (although they now charge a $15 upgrade fee for it) but it's always good practice to offer free upgrades when you're within a certain time limit of announcing a product, otherwise why would people continue to purchase the old version of your product?

Ricky.Flores
Jul 26, 2012, 03:00 PM
Ok, so... I tried BlueThree's method. Yeah, got screwed. Apparently mine hasn't gone through or something like that because it instantly took out of my iTunes credit. So... it's downloading and I've email Apple support acting like an idiot saying I typed my code in, selected mountain lion, then noticed as it was downloading it had deducted from my iTunes credit so the code must have been bad. So I asked for a new code + a refund on the credit. Figure, screw it, it's already a complete mess, so at least I'll have ML and just work it out with them later.

Edit: all which is technically true

I also did what BlueThree said and got screwed. I paused the download and contact customer service via phone and email. I just hope they give me my credits back before I get my code or i'll be in a serious predicament.

circusboy
Jul 26, 2012, 03:03 PM
I redeem my code yesterday around 9:00 am, just 10 minutes later I got the first of many codes, that one was used already, 24 hours later I got the second one, I got so excited, but that was for OS X Server, what a shame for apple to screw up this thing big time. then about 2 hours later I received another code, but this one turn out to be the right one, finally.

Daniel97
Jul 26, 2012, 03:03 PM
What does the server do?

Apple mistakenly sent me both the server code aswell as OSX 10.8 so now are both downloaded.

Can i actually install and use the server or is it limited to Mac Minis and Mac Pros?

I have a 2012 11" Air ...

dank414
Jul 26, 2012, 03:08 PM
Apple is doing a fine job of sharing these update codes... I don't know what's worse getting a code that doesn't work or not getting a code at all. Signed up yesterday at 6am and I still got nothing.

zin
Jul 26, 2012, 03:09 PM

The code redeems OS X and it is then marked against your Apple ID. You can then use the "Purchases" tab on the Mac App Store to upgrade each of your other personal Macs (or by downloading it on one then copying over the InstallESD file to the other Macs).

At least, that's how it worked with OS X Lion.

bedifferent
Jul 26, 2012, 03:15 PM
What does the server do?

Apple mistakenly sent me both the server code aswell as OSX 10.8 so now are both downloaded.

Can i actually install and use the server or is it limited to Mac Minis and Mac Pros?

I have a 2012 11" Air ...

The "Server" version is a small, extension of 10.8 (about 300-400 MB's). It adds server features but you need 10.8 installed first, which makes this whole thing even more of a mess. Sigh

(and yes, you can use the server version on any Mac)

Daniel97
Jul 26, 2012, 03:18 PM
The "Server" version is a small, extension of 10.8 (about 300-400 MB's). It adds server features but you need 10.8 installed first, which makes this whole thing even more of a mess. Sigh

(and yes, you can use the server version on any Mac)

okay 10.8 is now installed .. so this server version .. i suppose its just a useless add on to me now as i havnt a clue how to use it?

ExSierra
Jul 26, 2012, 03:20 PM
After some 36 hours of not receiving anything, anything at all, I attempt to complete the form again. It did indicate that my serial number has been applied so I assume they have it. Still waiting..... Hopefully the free upgrade won't expire by the time I get it! :rolleyes:

dcorban
Jul 26, 2012, 03:22 PM
I also did what BlueThree said and got screwed. I paused the download and contact customer service via phone and email. I just hope they give me my credits back before I get my code or i'll be in a serious predicament.

I inadvertently did the same thing. I called support, but could only get through to standard Apple support. They redirected me to the iTunes support webpage. I emailed and await their response.

I don't know if the code I have is for server or regular, as I haven't risked trying it yet.

mobiousblack
Jul 26, 2012, 03:25 PM
I applied for my code yesterday, got an invalid one yesterday, received a code for Mac OSX server today, and then 5 minutes later received a third code for Mac OSX Mountain Lion. So it took a little over 24 hours but I got OSX server for free out of it so I am not complaining :D

bedifferent
Jul 26, 2012, 03:25 PM
okay 10.8 is now installed .. so this server version .. i suppose its just a useless add on to me now as i havnt a clue how to use it?

Unless you're monitoring multiple systems/user accounts, there's really no need. You can try it out, it simply adds OS X server app's. I'm not certain about its removal, so you may be stuck with features you don't need. Check it out online, and keep it handy, you never know if you might need it after all :).

kayno
Jul 26, 2012, 03:29 PM
Got tired... it's over 24hrs for me.. downloaded the Gold master.. its apparently the same build as the final.. I'll just re download once i get my code.. whenever that is so it registers in MAS..

ooc111
Jul 26, 2012, 03:29 PM
I still havent gotten a code, or even a confirmation email saying that they were processing my request. And i applied for the code minutes after the up to date page went live yesterday morning. Anybody else having this problem still?

I just want to know if theyre even processing it yet

lukin
Jul 26, 2012, 03:32 PM
I still havent gotten a code, or even a confirmation email saying that they were processing my request. And i applied for the code minutes after the up to date page went live yesterday morning. Anybody else having this problem still?

I'm in the same boat. Filled out the form early yesterday morning and haven't heard anything since... didn't even get bad codes.

bedifferent
Jul 26, 2012, 03:32 PM
I just noticed the build listed on the ADC OS X section is Build: 12A269, I'm using (as a developer) the GM build 12A256. I thought they were one and the same?

kayno
Jul 26, 2012, 03:36 PM
I just noticed the build listed on the ADC OS X section is Build: 12A269, I'm using (as a developer) the GM build 12A256. I thought they were one and the same?

thought they were too :(

pknz
Jul 26, 2012, 03:38 PM

Submitted mine about 20 hours ago. Haven't had any emails, tried to submit my serial number again but it says it's already been claimed.

DavesBlend
Jul 26, 2012, 03:45 PM
Same boat as many others. I requested a code approximately 11:00am EDT yesterday and still no response of any kind (MBair). I tried a second request late yesterday with a new tracking number but still no code. The only response I received was from an email inquiry to up to date customer service on the status of the code. They somehow interpreted my inquiry to the status of the redemption code as a request to change the email delivery address for the code. Really?:confused:

Mad-B-One
Jul 26, 2012, 03:45 PM

Consider an upvote to your post a downvote to the other...:)

goomba478
Jul 26, 2012, 03:50 PM
I guess I should consider myself...lucky? I first got the OSX Server code much to my confusion and then a little while later the regular OSX Mountain Lion code (both of which worked, but I was given the "you need 10.8" error for the OSX Server download. It does show in my purchases now though so I guess I get both? ML is downloading now so I'm happy it all worked out in the end, but yeah, Apple sure messed up something here.

smith20103
Jul 26, 2012, 03:51 PM
I requested my update at 6:30am yesterday. I purchased my mac from the online apple store, but when I plugged in my serial number it made me upload a receipt proving the date of my purchase. Since the only thing I got from Apple was a confirming email, I printed the email to a PDF file and tried to upload it. I received an error message saying they won't allow PDF files, only .jpg, .tiff or one other format. I eventually figured out how to convert the file to a .jpg, but I wondered about how ridiculous all of this is when clearly they know I bought the computer from them. I can even confirm the date of purchase by doing a warranty check online.

This is the first mac I've ever used after being a microsoft user for 30+ years. I was induced to buy a mac because I was so impressed by how elegant and simple to use the Iphone and Ipad has been so far. Needless to say, I'm at a loss as to how a company that can design such elegant and flawless technology products could bungle up a simple $20.00 coupon code to upgrade the operating system of my mac. And after all the known problems, no formal statement by Apple even acknowledging the issue. I'm just at a loss as to how Apple could execute so poorly here.

jhiner
Jul 26, 2012, 03:54 PM
I requested my update at 6:30am yesterday. I purchased my mac from the online apple store, but when I plugged in my serial number it made me upload a receipt proving the date of my purchase. Since the only thing I got from Apple was a confirming email, I printed the email to a PDF file and tried to upload it. I received an error message saying they won't allow PDF files, only .jpg, .tiff or one other format. I eventually figured out how to convert the file to a .jpg, but I wondered about how ridiculous all of this is when clearly they know I bought the computer from them. I can even confirm the date of purchase by doing a warranty check online.

This is the first mac I've ever used after being a microsoft user for 30+ years. I was induced to buy a mac because I was so impressed by how elegant and simple to use the Iphone and Ipad has been so far. Needless to say, I'm at a loss as to how a company that can design such elegant and flawless technology products could bungle up a simple $20.00 coupon code to upgrade the operating system of my mac. And after all the known problems, no formal statement by Apple even acknowledging the issue. I'm just at a loss as to how Apple could execute so poorly here.

FYI shift+command+4 will allow you to take a screenshot (use the crosshairs to pick the portion of your screen to capture). The png file is saved onto your desktop.

And BTW - still no code for me, but might just go the buy/request compensation route after I receive my code (if that ever happens).

0xgone

Just finished my install and I can confirm I've build 12A269

tvh13

When I read "but people just like to complain i guess..." I experience that statement as a complaint. In fact it reminds my of an irritating aunt who complains a lot.

There are a lot of folks on this thread who are disappointed by Apple setting an expectation that has not been met (yet). Many are excited to run ML and some team at Apple has dropped the ball. So Apple set an expectation and it didn't come true in the way that many wanted. End of the world? No. Disappointment? Yes.

Amazing Iceman
Jul 26, 2012, 03:56 PM
I got my code and it was for Mountain Lion.

But this latest screwup makes me wonder if Apple is using Chinese teenagers who can't read English to do verification instead of using a computer -_-

We may never know... :eek:

But it could be a mole planted by Google or Samsung... you know!

randomnut
Jul 26, 2012, 04:00 PM
30+hours later and still not even one code let alone a wrong one.

Apple is really going downhill lately.

PlayfullyEvil
Jul 26, 2012, 04:00 PM
The only remedy I can suggest is for those who are having code redemption issues is to grab a torrent of ML GM build [OS X 10.8 (12A269)] and install that until your redemption code issue gets resolved.

If you need to make a clean install of ML, just search for the method to make a bootable USB key (Mountain) Lion install.

Honestly, I've been running ML on my MacBookPro6,2 when the GM build was made available. I purchased it legitimately once it was made available on MAS and now in the process of installing it on my Macmini4,1 and Hackintosh server.

Really, if you want to be douchebags, get the torrent and redeem the OS X Server redemption code as retribution for their incompetence.

sd-diver
Jul 26, 2012, 04:05 PM
Same boat as many others. I requested a code approximately 11:00am EDT yesterday and still no response of any kind (MBair). I tried a second request late yesterday with a new tracking number but still no code. The only response I received was from an email inquiry to up to date customer service on the status of the code. They somehow interpreted my inquiry to the status of the redemption code as a request to change the email delivery address for the code. Really?:confused:

Same here. 31 hours thus far and not a work. Emailed them 6 hours ago and no reply there. Guess I'll buy it then try for the refund...

Rafterman
Jul 26, 2012, 04:05 PM
Just finished my install and I can confirm I've build 12A269

Correct, the GM was and is 12A269. I think 256 was the release before the GM.

iamthekiller
Jul 26, 2012, 04:08 PM
lol @ the people posting the number of HOURS that they've been waiting, trying to make it seem much worse than it is. Instead of saying a little over a day, 31 hours sounds much more dramatic and life threatening.

Rafterman
Jul 26, 2012, 04:10 PM
lol @ the people posting the number of HOURS that they've been waiting, trying to make it seem much worse than it is. Instead of saying a little over a day, 31 hours sounds much more dramatic and life threatening.

I've been waiting 111,600 seconds!

smith20103
Jul 26, 2012, 04:15 PM
Incidentally, I've tried entering the request three times and received three different confirmation numbers. I only find this interesting because others have attempted to redo their entry requests and their serial number has been flagged as already having been entered. I wonder why it allows me to enter my serial number three times and doesn't flag that I've already made the request previously. It would seem there are a number of bugs in the data entry system that Apple has designed for this upgrade program.

mdelvecchio
Jul 26, 2012, 04:20 PM
Sad part is this is not Apple's first time at this level of screw up and chances are will not be the last.

well since theyre HUMANS and susceptible to mistakes, this isnt unexpected.

so you never screw up at work, or have something go unexpectedly? what do you do?

ReflexReact
Jul 26, 2012, 04:48 PM
There really is no excuse for Apple taking over 1 day to authenticate orders that were placed via their own site. I suspect they're manually authenticating everything. It's stupid, they have no excuses here.

bedifferent
Jul 26, 2012, 04:49 PM
Correct, the GM was and is 12A269. I think 256 was the release before the GM.

That's very strange as the build I have installed is/was listed as the GM. I have saved all the DP's and the GM build was listed as 12A256.

I'm downloading it via the App Store, it warned me that ML 10.8 was already installed. I'll have to check this out.

UPDATE: This is bizarre. I have my OS X files stored on another SATA drive in my Mac Pro. I'm downloading the MAS 10.8, but went into my software drive to check the GM release which I am currently running. It shows that Apple is downloading OVER that saved file, and not in the Applications folder of my system. So apparently Apple's App Store found the location of my GM 10.8 and is re-writing over it. Very odd.

woogy12
Jul 26, 2012, 04:56 PM
Just called AppleCare...they stated I am approved and now I need to wait up to 72 hours. Its already been 28 hours (submitted mine 7/25/2012 10AM.

LowSignal
Jul 26, 2012, 04:57 PM
While it sucks that this situation came to be. I'm not all that mad, I hope when my ML code finally shows up in my email box that I can at least pass along the download code to another user who dosent have $20 to spare.

DJJAZZYJET
Jul 26, 2012, 05:00 PM
The scheme worked great for Lion, bam bam bam here's your code sir. Even Apples servers help up if I recall, I can't remember if there were any issues on the app store like their was with mountain lion.

They should have been prepared for this ...

Alameda
Jul 26, 2012, 05:05 PM
Compared to the 128KB to 512KB "Fat Mac" upgrade program, this is a dream. And then there was the "Mail in your Newton and $125, and we'll install a software update that fixes handwriting" fiasco. (They never got handwriting recognition to work).

But the whopper of them all had to be the Centris PowerPC upgrade: For around $900, they replaced your Motorola-based motherboard with a blazing fast PowerPC-based motherboard... Except that these wildly-hyped, first-gen PowerPC Macs were much slower than the 68040 Macs they replaced. Oops!!

seancusick
Jul 26, 2012, 05:06 PM
Just buy it now, and ask them to credit you the price. I just did, and Apple was happy to refund as a one time exception.

Swytch
Jul 26, 2012, 05:09 PM
Actually, almost every company does this. When Adobe announced a new CS version (usually every year around April) but it wont be for sale for another month or two, everyone who purchased it in that time frame gets a free upgrade. Microsoft used to do with with XP when Vista was announced, Vista when Windows 7 was announced and now with Windows 8 (although they now charge a $15 upgrade fee for it) but it's always good practice to offer free upgrades when you're within a certain time limit of announcing a product, otherwise why would people continue to purchase the old version of your product?

I guess I was not aware of these programs (If this is the case with Adobe CS, I got screwed into paying for an update by a phone rep then).

But I was referring to Hardware companies, does Dell offer an upgrade to the OS in these cases? Ive never heard of such a program, and I doubt microsoft would take care of this for Dell.

Still my main point is that people are being way to impatient over this issue.

808?
Jul 26, 2012, 05:10 PM

The Chinese assemble the hardware, not the software.