Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BadboyHouse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
I only have 3mb Internet - do you have to download Mountain Lion all in one sitting or can you do a bit at a time?

Like can I download a quarter in one sitting, then some at another etc?

Also, once the update has downloaded presumably you can start the update when you're ready rather than it just kick in automatically?

chrisherbert

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2012
I only have 3mb Internet - do you have to download Mountain Lion all in one sitting or can you do a bit at a time?

Like can I download a quarter in one sitting, then some at another etc?

Also, once the update has downloaded presumably you can start the update when you're ready rather than it just kick in automatically?

I'm not sure about downloading it in bits, but the installation doesn't happen automatically after it's downloaded. You have to manually start it.

Queen6

macrumors G4
No you can do it in segments if you choose, you only need to pause the download. This is exactly what i have just done and upgraded my Retina to ML as my connection is extremely slow 24 hours to 36 hours for the full download for ML :eek: then again after the garden wall it`s the jungle, so what to say :p

croc122

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2011
Slow internet!

I was downloading Mountain Lion today on my mom's iMac and we had to shut the computer down half-way through the download due to a bad thunderstorm. When we tried to resume the download, it wouldn't resume (yes, the internet was functioning normally). Instead, I had to click "Download" again and enter my password. Now it is starting all over again! It was so close to completion before the thunderstorm too! :mad:

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I was downloading Mountain Lion today on my mom's iMac and we had to shut the computer down half-way through the download due to a bad thunderstorm. When we tried to resume the download, it wouldn't resume (yes, the internet was functioning normally). Instead, I had to click "Download" again and enter my password. Now it is starting all over again! It was so close to completion before the thunderstorm too! :mad:

happened to my friend in the 'country' (i.e. 50 minutes out of nyc!).
he started it, was letting the install run overnite. it failed sometime during the night, he had to start over...:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.