Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
So all you need is your standard iCloud/Apple ID to get Reminders to sync across devices (iPhone and iMac in my case). So why am I forced to create a me.com email address to get Notes to sync across these same two devices?:confused:

Also, what happens when you turn on Mail in iCloud? Does that just sync the me.com emails? I use a gmail account in Apple Mail on both devices so I have no use for another email account, but I'd like Notes to sync. What do I do?

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
Just create a me.com account and be done with it. It'll sync your notes no problem.

Strange that this doesn't "just work" like Reminders. I don't get it. Also, isn't there going to be a .icloud email extension soon? Maybe I should wait.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
The best thing to do is just create a .me iCloud account and use that for syncing. I did that when iOS 5 launched and it's just the way to go. You can complain and deal with problems all you want, or just suck it up and do what Apple wants you to do, LOL. It's not like you can't add your other email addresses and other stuff you need too.

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
Just create a me.com account and be done with it. It'll sync your notes no problem.

What if you already have a me.com account?
It keeps asking me to create one, but if i type in mine, it tells me that address is already taken.

Undecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
California
It keeps asking me to create one, but if i type in mine, it tells me that address is already taken.

Me too.

I ended up just routing my notes via my GMail account, instead of iCloud.

But in the process, I also (unnecessarily) changed my Apple ID. (Easy to do on the Apple end; a pain to get all devices and apps to use the new one.)

So in reality, I suppose I could have just created a(nother) me.com address, and also changed my Apple ID to point to that. I didn't do that initially because at the start I didn't realize you can change your Apple ID without messing up your content.

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007

If you already have an account, just type the account and password in the iCloud system preferences, and ensure the same info is in the Mail/Contacts/Calendars system preferences as well.

It sounds like you are trying to create a new account.

geoffm33

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2010
So all you need is your standard iCloud/Apple ID to get Reminders to sync across devices (iPhone and iMac in my case). So why am I forced to create a me.com email address to get Notes to sync across these same two devices?:confused:

Also, what happens when you turn on Mail in iCloud? Does that just sync the me.com emails? I use a gmail account in Apple Mail on both devices so I have no use for another email account, but I'd like Notes to sync. What do I do?

Nobody really answered your question "Why don't Notes sync like Reminders?". I believe the Notes sync uses IMAP through the .me mail system. From reading some other threads, it should work with non .me/.icloud AppleID's once IOS6 launches. I'll try to find the source.

EDIT: Didn't find source. Take above as conjecture.

Last edited:

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland
Nobody really answered your question "Why don't Notes sync like Reminders?". I believe the Notes sync uses IMAP through the .me mail system. From reading some other threads, it should work with non .me/.icloud AppleID's once IOS6 launches. I'll try to find the source.

EDIT: Didn't find source. Take above as conjecture.

My notes sync with Google. It comes up as a syncing option when added as an IMAP server. They're really just mails that have the label "Notes" attached to them. Seamless syncing with iPad, iPhone and Mountain Lion.

geoffm33

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2010
My notes sync with Google. It comes up as a syncing option when added as an IMAP server. They're really just mails that have the label "Notes" attached to them. Seamless syncing with iPad, iPhone and Mountain Lion.

Yep, that's how I have mine setup as well. Works like a charm.

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
Strange that this doesn't "just work" like Reminders. I don't get it. Also, isn't there going to be a .icloud email extension soon? Maybe I should wait.

I felt the same way as you did, but I gave in and set up a me.com address. After upgrading to ML on my MBA, I needed the Notes to sync, so I set up the me.com address through my iPhone. After doing that, a new iCloud mail account was set up on my iPhone. But, the Notes now sync across all my devices.

Overall, the new me.com address is pretty unobstrusive, and I don't have any plans to use it. It's there for me just so the Notes will sync.

Freeek

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2011
I think with the launch of iOS 6 and the extended iCloud with Notes and Reminders aquivalents in the Cloud there will be no need anymore for this annoying special me/icloud.com mail adress.

I think also that with the release of iPhone 5 / iOS 6 a new iTunes Version comes around the corner and bring the possibilities to sync Notes and Reminders local between iOS and your Mac.

j2c

DiamonDecoden

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
Texas
Can you explain how you have the notes synced with Google? I have gmail setup as an IMAP server for the email but IDK how for the notes.

So all you need is your standard iCloud/Apple ID to get Reminders to sync across devices (iPhone and iMac in my case). So why am I forced to create a me.com email address...hat do I do?
I feel the same as you do. when I first updated my iPad to iOS5 it FORCED me to create a me.com email for icloud; i couldn't use my old apple ID. (I should've called apple then but I just created a me.com email) then, it became another apple ID. So, now I have 2 I have to deal with-- trying to disable 1 of them.

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland
Can you explain how you have the notes synced with Google? I have gmail setup as an IMAP server for the email but IDK how for the notes.

Are you sure you've set it up as an IMAP server? I have one Google account (custom domain hosted on Google apps) but two accounts set up in Mail, Contacts & Calendars. The one for all my email, contacts and calendars is an Exchange account, but when I set up a new Google IMAP account it offered me Mail, Calendars and Notes, with no contact syncing, strangely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.