Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Ok. I could have predicted this months ago. Not sure what the point of this thread is.

I agree. Not sure what the point of the discussion is.

Shipments, on the other hand, do not necessarily mean that all devices are sold.

A lot of tech companies report shipped devices, and not devices sold to customers. These numbers simply represent how many phones left Samsung's factories but NOT how many phones made it into the hands of consumers.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-5...artphones-in-q2-doubles-iphone/?tag=cnetRiver

alot of happy galaxy S3 owners for sure. the new Iphone should be able to ship at least 1/2 that amount on release date. Thanks

Love your optimism, but Apple won't sell anything close to 25 million new i phones opening weekend. Hell, they barely sold 26 million iphone this whole past quarter and that includes the 3gs and 4.

A more realistic number for new iphone sales would be around 4-5 million on release date, including pre-orders.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
From the article:

This gets said time and again whenever figures are relesed for any company.

Retailers are either drowning in a sea of unsold Samsung handsets or are actually moving them on to consumers, hence the continuing orders being pumped out from Samsung.

I wonder which one could be true?

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
This gets said time and again whenever figures are relesed for any company.

Retailers are either drowning in a sea of unsold Samsung handsets or are actually moving them on to consumers, hence the continuing orders being pumped out from Samsung.

Apple numbers are items sold, not shipped.

...and it's safe to say that (at least) a few million of those 'shipped' units are sitting idle on shelves.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus

...and it's safe to say that (at least) a few million of those 'shipped' units are sitting idle on shelves.

Apple numbers are counted as 'sold' even though their phones are sitting on shelves at att, Verizon, wallmart, target, sprint, what have you.

Samsung phones are counted as 'shipped' even though their phones are sitting on shelves at att, Verizon, wallmart, target, sprint, what have you.

Both companies receive payment for phones shipped to retailers. This whole shipped vs sold argument is really stupid. Both companies make a crap load of money from consumers.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)

And those items on the shelves are destined for where exactly? Landfill, never to be sold? :confused:

Retailers would stop purchasing replacement Samsung handsets to sell on and Samsung Mobile would take a massive hit if they had backfill like RIM have with the Playbook. As far as I'm aware, that hasn't happened has it?

Yes some of those 52,100,000 handsets are sitting waiting to be sold. Does it really make that much of a difference to Samsung?

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Hasn't Apple gone on record and said they typically flip their inventory every 5 days.

kdarling

macrumors P6

When Samsung announced 5 million Galaxies shipped, some people said the same thing: oh they must be "sitting on shelves".

If so, Galaxies must be a really popular item for store managers to keep "on their shelves", because Samsung sold another 5 million pretty quickly.

Heck, by this time next year maybe there'll be tens of millions of them "sitting on shelves".

Samsung's salespeople must be incredibly amazing at their job to sell so many shelf sitters.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
They are destined to...i don't know...be sold to people maybe??? :rolleyes:

So why even bring up the "that's shipped not sold" point that gets dragged from the woodwork every time news like this is released?

If this is your point, oh Mr roll eyes you, wouldn't last quarters "shipped not sold" units be a part of the units sold the following quarter, negating the units left over in the channel into the next quarter?

Unless Samsung are forced to write off a ton of hardware like BlackBerry have had to, the old tears of "shipped not sold" are meaningless aren't they?

----------

When Samsung announced 5 million Galaxies shipped, some people said the same thing: oh they must be "sitting on shelves".

If so, Galaxies must be a really popular item for store managers to keep "on their shelves", because Samsung sold another 5 million pretty quickly.

Heck, by this time next year maybe there'll be tens of millions of them "sitting on shelves".

Samsung's salespeople must be incredibly amazing at their job to sell so many shelf sitters.
With all these phones sitting on store shelves,
they could build a phone store out of phones.

You dawg, I heard you liked phones so we made a store out of phones so you can store in your phones. :p

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
If this is your point, oh Mr roll eyes you, wouldn't last quarters "shipped not sold" units be a part of the units sold the following quarter, negating the units left over in the channel into the next quarter?

Honestly don't know the answer to that. It's possible that it's factored in depending on when they were sold.

jeffe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
So why even bring up the "that's shipped not sold" point that gets dragged from the woodwork every time news like this is released?

Unless Samsung are forced to write off a ton of hardware like BlackBerry have had to, the old tears of "shipped not sold" are meaningless aren't they?

----------

With all these phones sitting on store shelves,
they could build a phone store out of phones.

You dawg, I heard you liked phones so we made a store out of phones so you can store in your phones. :p

Lol, this is a a great post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.