PDA

View Full Version : 'Once you go Mac you don't go back'

MacBytes
Aug 1, 2005, 10:39 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Mac OS X
Link: 'Once you go Mac you don't go back' (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050801113907)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Mitthrawnuruodo
Aug 1, 2005, 10:53 AM
Not an uncommon reaction among switchers... :)

Except hard core gamers that don't like consoles because pirating games is harder... :rolleyes:

njmac
Aug 1, 2005, 11:05 AM
That's what I've been trying to tell y'all! The mac ruins you for using windows. I have to use windows every once in a while and I am truly, utterly astonished that people choose this when there is another option!

1macker1
Aug 1, 2005, 04:02 PM
Not sure if this counts as 'going back' but I dont want a XP machine. I want both. I'm just more efficent on a Windows box, but I like OS X better.

Capt Underpants
Aug 1, 2005, 04:17 PM
Except hard core gamers that don't like consoles because pirating games is harder... :rolleyes:

Or because keyboards and mice are superior to controllers :rolleyes:

Oh... and I switched to the mac and went back, partially. It's no big deal.

Bugn
Aug 1, 2005, 04:31 PM
I switched in 2000 and never went back. I bought my first windows (I was told dont get buy an apple they will be obsolete) computer in 1994 and had to many years of freezing and missing .dll files. Ugh! I was the total Bill Gates guru. I even loved bob and all the add on packs! :eek:
I could never go back... no way.... as I type this, hubbys dark looming windows computer is glaring at my back. He refuses to switch on principle I guess... but when ever he needs something done, he asks me to do it! :D He even said the other day the cd's I burn him within itunes sound much better than his on his car stereo. :D

nagromme
Aug 1, 2005, 08:39 PM
Consider the following statement:

"I switched from Mac OS X to Windows, and everything I do with my computer became easier overnight. Windows handles my photos, my music, my communications, and my files so much better and so much easier. Using my Windows PC is a joy--I feel like it is working for me, instead of me working for the machine. I'm not fighting with my computer--Windows just works, day in, day out, whatever I throw at it. My Mac had trouble connecting to cameras and networks, and it kept getting slower over time, ultimately crashing frequently. Now I'm on Windows, virtually crash-free. I have a better version of Microsoft Word, AND my PC came bundled with movie-editing, photo, and music software that's better and easier than anything you can buy for Mac. Windows was clearly designed by people who think about how you USE a computer. I'll never recommend a Mac again."

Skeptical? Do you buy it? Is that likely to be an honest statement?

Now switch "Mac" and "Windows" in the above statement. NOW does it sound believable?

If one way sounds more believable than the other way, then switching IS a one-way street more often than not.

And of the few people who HAVE to switch (for some obscure reason) from Mac to Windows--are they happy and enthusiastic about it? Or merely tolerating it as "good enough?" And are they switching for a wide spectrum of reasons, or a single niche need? Now ask THOSE questions of switchers from Mac to PC.

One-way street. Not always, but darned close.

(And yes, you can use both and not "switch" 100%.... but you're still probably switching what you MAINLY use, or what you PREFER to use.)

nagromme
Aug 1, 2005, 09:00 PM
If you were to change the extension to read MyApp.jpg.app, the application would cease to work.
Whatchu talkin' about, Willis?

(And when he says Windows XP is 'secure' I think he's being overly kind :D )

mkrishnan
Aug 1, 2005, 09:19 PM
Whatchu talkin' about, Willis?

So he, umm, completely lost me there. I think what he's saying is that if you try to spoof a file extension, the file won't look like it's a spoof. But I'm skeptical that OS X is really any more protected against that than Windows is.

If you take Windows, and you start with:

virus.exe :D

Change it to:

sample.jpg -- it will not execute, AFAIK, but will instead try to be loaded by the JPG viewer, which will not cause the code to be executed but will just generate an error.

You can take the same file and call it:

virus.jpg.exe -- and it will show up as virus.jpg -- and then give it a jpg icon, but it will be listed as an executable in the type column.

Isn't this also exactly what happens on OSX?

iMeowbot
Aug 1, 2005, 10:00 PM
Isn't this also exactly what happens on OSX?
Yep. I think what the writer is trying to describe is a different problem where Microsoft programs have a tendency to ignore MIME media types and act on whatever extension is in the content disposition.