PDA

View Full Version : is it possible to connect a PC to Mac via USB?


teabgs
Nov 10, 2002, 09:33 AM
Anyone know how....?

Cause I wanna swap files (more get then give) with my roomate. I think he has windoze 98....and he has USB which is the only thign that could connect the two as he doesnt have firewire.

thanks!

edesignuk
Nov 10, 2002, 09:42 AM
Can you not just use ethernet with a cross over cable between the pc and your mac?

teabgs
Nov 10, 2002, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by edesignuk
Can you not just use ethernet with a cross over cable between the pc and your mac?


*bows head* um....oh yeah.....I guess I could do that too....hehe


What do I have to do to recognize it? would it just be file sharing? What do I have to do on the PC side?


gracias

edesignuk
Nov 10, 2002, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by teabgs



*bows head* um....oh yeah.....I guess I could do that too....hehe


What do I have to do to recognize it? would it just be file sharing? What do I have to do on the PC side?


gracias
I think all you'd need to do is set them up on the same subnet, e.g.

On the PC:
IP: 192.168.0.10
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

On the Mac:
IP: 192.168.0.11
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

Setup a share on the folder on the PC, then on the Mac just go Finder > Go > Connect to Server, then enter the address:

smb://workgroup;username:password@pcipaddress/sharename

E.g.

smb://temp;admin:apple@192.168.0.10/shared

Good luck! :)

LimeiBook86
Nov 11, 2002, 03:11 PM
There is a program called PC2Mac (I think) that has a special USB cable that lets you transfer files from a PC to a Mac.

scem0
Nov 12, 2002, 08:14 PM
with ethernet, all I had to do was hook them together via ethernet
and then on the mac (running 10.2 - pc running windoze XP) click
connect to server, and then it was somewhere in that menu. I
hope that helps

bousozoku
Nov 12, 2002, 11:15 PM
If you're using Ethernet, of course, u could always use a hub or a switch to connect the two.

MacBandit
Nov 12, 2002, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by bousozoku
If you're using Ethernet, of course, u could always use a hub or a switch to connect the two.

Why use a hub when all you need is a crossover cable.

mmmdreg
Nov 13, 2002, 02:00 AM
I got a networking Q..if I got two macs side by side and one is connected to cable internet via the ethernet port, what do I need to connect them together in a mini-LAN thing so they both have internet and can play games with each other as well?

Falleron
Nov 13, 2002, 03:53 AM
Another advantage of Ethernet is that it will be quicker.

irmongoose
Nov 13, 2002, 04:48 AM
Originally posted by mmmdreg
I got a networking Q..if I got two macs side by side and one is connected to cable internet via the ethernet port, what do I need to connect them together in a mini-LAN thing so they both have internet and can play games with each other as well?

I have a similar setup. All you need is a hub and 3 ethernet cables. Connect the line form the modem into the UPLINK on the hub. Then, connect a line from Port 1 to your first mac, and connect another line form Port 2 to your second mac. They recognize each other from the hub (so you can play games), and they both have access to the net.



irmongoose

dicenine
Nov 13, 2002, 07:33 AM
get a linksys 4 port roughter $100 at comp usa 75 any were else and 2 ethernet cat 5, cat5e or cat 6 about $6 bucks and your macs can shere your cable dsl or whater broadband connection and have a home netework aswell

AtomBoy
Nov 13, 2002, 07:40 PM
I used that PC2MAC USB connection last year sometime and it caused a lot of problems on the Mac so I wouldn't recommend it....stick with ethernet. I have my G4 connected to a windoze machine and share huge files every day without a problem.