PDA

View Full Version : Apple Reveals Second London UK Store

MacBytes
Aug 1, 2005, 10:52 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Apple Reveals Second London UK Store (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050801115204)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Applespider
Aug 1, 2005, 11:16 AM
And Bluewater's not that far from being a London store either so hopefully that will take some of the pressure off Regent St which is ridiculously busy much of the time. ;)

It's great to see Apple rolling out stores in the UK - let's hope the high street presence translates into a bigger market share here. Fingers crossed for Edinburgh or Glasgow next - that would make Mum's life much easier!

Mord
Aug 1, 2005, 01:20 PM
i'll be there.

Nickygoat
Aug 1, 2005, 01:29 PM
Hmm - Brent Cross. Not exactly friendly if you don't have a car. Like Applespider said it's great that they're opening more across the UK, especially London but I'm not sure how many people it will attract. Depends on exactly where it is I suppose. People going to Ikea aren't that likely to pop into the Apple Store on their way out. Is this going to be a standalone store (like Ikea or in a mall, like Bluewater?) Haven't been there ina very long time.

Applespider
Aug 1, 2005, 02:21 PM
Hmm - Brent Cross. Is this going to be a standalone store (like Ikea or in a mall, like Bluewater?)

I'm assuming it's in the Brent Cross shopping mall which is very, very busy. The John Lewis there is in the top 5 in the country in terms of revenue so I suspect there's enough footfall in the mall to make it worthwhile.

ph0rce
Aug 1, 2005, 02:27 PM
wooo go apple :D

Mord
Aug 1, 2005, 02:34 PM
if they went for a third apple store i know a great location, not the busiest but it's very apple, near queensway there is a shop called "the corner" it's currently empty but apple could make it work very very well.

Applespider
Aug 1, 2005, 03:10 PM
If they were going to put any more in London, I'd suggest a mini-store in the City - lots of cash-rich bods.

And possibly along Kings Road - again lots of disposable income! And very close to the office... :rolleyes:

Loge
Aug 1, 2005, 03:19 PM
Hmm - Brent Cross. Not exactly friendly if you don't have a car. Like Applespider said it's great that they're opening more across the UK, especially London but I'm not sure how many people it will attract. Depends on exactly where it is I suppose. People going to Ikea aren't that likely to pop into the Apple Store on their way out. Is this going to be a standalone store (like Ikea or in a mall, like Bluewater?) Haven't been there ina very long time.

The Brent Cross shopping centre is just a few minutes walk from Brent Cross tube station - I used to live just round the corner. Lots of buses stop there as well. It's not near the Ikea which is in Brent Park, a few miles further round the North Circular, closer to Wembley.

pulsewidth947
Aug 1, 2005, 03:36 PM
I say we need more round the country.. How about Bristol, Manchester, Cardiff, Edinburgh, etc.

Birmingham's a good start on this. They also need to kick the freeloading backpackers off the Macs! I wanted to try out a Mac or two in the store, but of course you cant get to any cuz people are checking their email! On a 30" screen!!! WHY!! [/rant]

Nickygoat
Aug 1, 2005, 03:47 PM
The Brent Cross shopping centre is just a few minutes walk from Brent Cross tube station - I used to live just round the corner. Lots of buses stop there as well. It's not near the Ikea which is in Brent Park, a few miles further round the North Circular, closer to Wembley.
I stand corrected and will gladly shut my cakehole :D

Loge
Aug 1, 2005, 03:52 PM
I stand corrected and will gladly shut my cakehole :D

No worries. :) I haven't been up that way myself for a fair old while.

Nickygoat
Aug 1, 2005, 04:00 PM
No worries. :) I haven't been up that way myself for a fair old while.
Brent Cross or.... ? :p

Applespider
Aug 1, 2005, 05:21 PM
I say we need more round the country.. How about Bristol, Manchester, Cardiff, Edinburgh, etc.

Well, Manchester is currently being built in the Trafford Centre. Sheffield is next in line after that and before Brent Cross. I'd imagine if it's like the US, Apple will wait for the right location to come up rather than just jumping into the first blank space in the mall.

They might not make it to Cardiff until the new shopping centre opens there in a few years. The new Cambridge city centre mall opens next year so that may be an option. Bristol is probably waiting for a good spot at Cribbs to open up, likewise in Southampton, and Glasgow for a spot on Buchanan St since that's the 'trendy' thoroughfare.

winmacguy
Aug 1, 2005, 05:57 PM
if they went for a third apple store i know a great location, not the busiest but it's very apple, near queensway there is a shop called "the corner" it's currently empty but apple could make it work very very well.
Hah Queensway/Bayswater my old stamping ground. Lot of money around there.

pulsewidth947
Aug 2, 2005, 08:48 AM
I'd imagine if it's like the US, Apple will wait for the right location to come up rather than just jumping into the first blank space in the mall.
Awesome. Hope to see one at a place near me soon. Typically they built the one in the Bull Ring about a month after I moved away from near the Birmingham area :D

Snide!

Wai_TungLeung
Aug 2, 2005, 09:17 AM
We don't call our shopping centres malls do we? I've certainly never heard anyone use that term in Britain till I saw your post Applespider. :p Maybe I'm just behind the times.

Good to see more stores, I've popped into the London and Birmingham ones and they've both busy (though the Birmingham one is smaller so maybe it just looks busier). One in Peterborough would be nice but it's such an unknown city, the day that happens is the day Apple switches to Intel (oops! nevermind!).

RedTomato
Jan 24, 2006, 01:17 PM
One year later, let me kindly resurrect this thread :)

I just received a mail from Apple announcing it will open on Sat 28th January 2006. (that's next week!)

http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/brentcross/

It's about 30 mins away from me, so I am thinking of going to the grand opening.

If anyone would like to practice their sign language with me (ASL or BSL doesn't matter), it would be lovely to see you there :)

cheers

.. RedTomato ..

Blue Velvet
Jan 24, 2006, 01:36 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they opened one up in that huuuuge mall going up in Shepherd's Bush.

It's going to be one of the largest in Europe — it's apparently going to be called WhiteCity (sic), and will make Brent Cross look like a corner shop...

So they say.