Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
http://minimalmac.com/post/426868529/what-apple-sells

What Apple sells begins before you even walk in the door…

tumblr_kys1r6gu5X1qzgz2l.jpg

It begins before you take out your credit card…

tumblr_kys1u4fgy21qzgz2l.jpg

It continues when you get back home…

tumblr_kys1uwc4zA1qzgz2l.jpg

To when you start it up…

tumblr_kys1yob1Rn1qzgz2l.jpg

It's one magical experience after another. Notice I highlight the word experience, that's what Apple sells. Everyone else sells product, Apple sells magic.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
What's so magical about a computer? Its a box of metal, wires, and plastic. Running software written by people.

No magic invovled.

If you mean why Macs are magical...what can a,mac do that a pc can't?

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
What's so magical about a computer? Its a box of metal, wires, and plastic. Running software written by people.

No magic invovled.

If you mean why Macs are magical...what can a,mac do that a pc can't?

Mirroring, Notification center, excellent voice dictation, system dictionary. That's just off the top of my head.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
Apple are successful because they charge more than anyone else.

BS. They don't charge exorbitant amounts for anything they sell. It's just that they have enormous profit margin due to bulk buying power and the fact they convince millions of people to fall in love with their designs.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
The simpler the interface, the more magical it is when everything "just works". That's how Apple rolls. ;)

Like when my imac kept overheating because of a faulty fan? That took them 2 weeks to get?

Or how safari beach balls my decked out imac with 19 tabs open for an hour!

Or how my simulation software is litterally to awesome for osx to handle?

Yep, it " just works "

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Apple is successful because the have great advertising and salesmanship. If you manage to convince the masses that your product is better, it doesn't matter if it actually is or not.

Jookbox

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2002
Apple is successful because the have great advertising and salesmanship. If you manage to convince the masses that your product is better, it doesn't matter if it actually is or not.

Exactly. I credit their sales and marketing team more than anything else. They've actually convinced people macs can do things PCs can't. They've also convinced people that if you don't own a Mac, you're somehow inferior. This works great on folks with low self esteem.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
Exactly. I credit their sales and marketing team more than anything else. They've actually convinced people macs can do things PCs can't. They've also convinced people that if you don't own a Mac, you're somehow inferior. This works great on folks with low self esteem.

This is such bs I can't take it any more. You can't market crap. Apple products are revolutionary and magical and it doesn't really take much marketing to push them.

salmoally

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2012
Power Nap is revolutionary. No more needing to care about OS updates anymore!

Funny because power nap only works on 2 products the RMBP and MBA 2011/12. Getting sick and tired of Apple purposely blocking off stuff just to get people to upgrade every 2 years.

Windows 8 works on computers 10 years old and runs every single feature the same as a PC bought yesterday.

Apple died when they let the profits matter more than the product. I don;t really give a damn how popular they are now or how "successful", Justin Bieber is rich and successful too but hell will freeze before anyone with taste will buy his albums.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
This is such bs I can't take it any more. You can't market crap. Apple products are revolutionary and magical and it doesn't really take much marketing to push them.

Crap is what sells, because crap is cheap. Apple has simply managed to take this to a new level - high priced crap. All it takes is a brilliant marketing strategy and execution of it, which everyone knows Apple does on a regular and consistent basis.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
Crap is what sells, because crap is cheap. Apple has simply managed to take this to a new level - high priced crap. All it takes is a brilliant marketing strategy and execution of it, which everyone knows Apple does on a regular and consistent basis.

Explain how Airplay Mirroring and Power Nap are crap. Apple has a ton of patents.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009

You absolutely can. Why do you think people buy Bose? Why do people get excited over Beats? Nike clothes and shoes.the list is endless. People will buy anything you throw at them, you just have to tell them why.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
You absolutely can. Why do you think people buy Bose? Why do people get excited over Beats? Nike clothes and shoes.the list is endless. People will buy anything you throw at them, you just have to tell them why.

Because Bose makes excellent audio equipment. Nike does things like Nike+ which no other shoe maker does. They are innovative.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.