Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
Cool. I thought Apple was the only one trying to kill off cable companies. I guess Google's on board too

Direct TV, Dish, Comcast... dying a slow death

ruvil

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2010
Yeah sure. No thanks. Now google will know absolutely everything about me.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Welcome to 2012.

Oh, by the way, it's too late & there's no turning back.

The organization you should really be concerned with is far worse than Google... & it's name does not begin with an A or a G.

Time to go back into denial. You'll feel better :)

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Cool. I thought Apple was the only one trying to kill off cable companies. I guess Google's on board too

Direct TV, Dish, Comcast... dying a slow death

Ha.

Until I can get 1000 channels/selectable movie channels for 120 bucks a month from Apple, I think cable companies will be be just fine.

dba415

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011

You'd rather pay 50 bucks a month to telecom companies who routinely screw customers by engaging in monopolistic price gouging than get Internet for free?

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
Ha.

Until I can get 1000 channels/selectable movie channels for 120 bucks a month from Apple, I think cable companies will be be just fine.

That $120 goes to bundles full of channels that nobody watches (cable companies are making you pay for 100 channels you don't care about just to get the 5 you actually want) so that $120 is a ripoff. Plus you gotta pay for a dish or a box and a technician to run cable all over your house. Might have been the only way 2 decades ago but in 2012 it's now technologically possible to do what cable companies do using only the Internet. Only thing is the business models and contracts are not in place yet.

Internet = disruptive technology that's been changing media distribution. So far it's changed distribution models for books, movie rentals, video games, and music. Only thing left is TV

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
That $120 goes to bundles full of channels that nobody watches (cable companies are making you pay for 100 channels you don't care about just to get the 5 you actually want) so that $120 is a ripoff. Plus you gotta pay for a dish or a box and a technician to run cable all over your house. Might have been the only way 2 decades ago but in 2012 it's now technologically possible to do what cable companies do using only the Internet. Only thing is the business models and contracts are not in place yet.

Internet = disruptive technology that's been changing media distribution. So far it's changed distribution models for books, movie rentals, video games, and music. Only thing left is TV

Oh so true. When I did have cable I watch I want to say 5-6 channels but that was getting reduced as some the channels removed shows I watch.

I want to say I would watch USA, discovery, NBC, ABC, CBS and SyFy. Sadly SyFy was falling off the list as NBC killed off the shows I did like on the channel and the new ones well just kind of suck. NBC, ABC and CBS were all over the air but I did have a nice DVR so not to big of a deal.

Now that I cut the cord I feel mostly the loss of USA and Discovery. Not so much the others.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA

I wouldn't really call it a ripoff compared to what Apple Currently charges on the iTunes store, another challenge would be getting large networks to release new Shows on Apple TV the day it airs on Cable/Over The Air.

And you also realize, that internet comes from companies like Comcast, and a very large amount of ISPs ARE cable companies, when push comes to shove, I could see them throwing bandwith caps on cheaper plans, forcing more people to upgrade.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
Oh so true. When I did have cable I watch I want to say 5-6 channels but that was getting reduced as some the channels removed shows I watch.

Same here. All I watch are NBA games, Breaking Bad, and a couple sitcoms that are already on Hulu. But because of how Time Warner does business, I'm also paying for Lifetime, Oxygen, Disney, Nickelodeon, and 30 channels in languages I don't understand.

I wouldn't really call it a ripoff compared to what Apple Currently charges on the iTunes store, another challenge would be getting large networks to release new Shows on Apple TV the day it airs on Cable/Over The Air.

And you also realize, that internet comes from companies like Comcast, and a very large amount of ISPs ARE cable companies, when push comes to shove, I could see them throwing bandwith caps on cheaper plans, forcing more people to upgrade.

We're talking TV though, not movie rentals. If Apple can provide the channels people want at a better value than cable companies, they'll win. People pay $100 to Comcast when all they want to watch is HBO. If Apple can let them watch HBO for $30, they'll win. How can they do that? By killing the bundle. Far as capping bandwidth, all that would do is drive customers away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.