PDA

View Full Version : This is Another Reason Google Now is the Best

The iGentleman
Jul 26, 2012, 11:47 PM
Yesterday, I had a meeting at 8:30pm that was about 30 minutes away. Before the meeting, I received a notification on my phone that told me I needed to leave at 7:37 in order to be on time for the meeting. Lo and behold, with the traffic that Google Now saw and calculated, that turned out to be true. I left at 7:37 exactly (because I was curious how accurate it would be), and sure enough I got to my destination at about 8:25. I initially intended on leaving around 7:50 or 7:55 since it was only a 30 minute drive and rush hour is over at that point, but had I done that, I would have been late. Thanks to the heads up given by Google Now, I was on time.
In my opinion, that's what sets Google Now apart. I didn't have to be actively using it for it be useful. Other things out there like Siri, are only useful when I'm actively using it. So if I'm not using Siri, it's of no use to me, whereas even though I wasn't using Google Now, it still wound up being useful for me.

Jb07
Jul 26, 2012, 11:55 PM
Yesterday, I had a meeting at 8:30pm that was about 30 minutes away. Before the meeting, I received a notification on my phone that told me I needed to leave at 7:37 in order to be on time for the meeting. Lo and behold, with the traffic that Google Now saw and calculated, that turned out to be true. I left at 7:37 exactly (because I was curious how accurate it would be), and sure enough I got to my destination at about 8:25. I initially intended on leaving around 7:50 or 7:55 since it was only a 30 minute drive and rush hour is over at that point, but had I done that, I would have been late. Thanks to the heads up given by Google Now, I was on time.
In my opinion, that's what sets Google Now apart. I didn't have to be actively using it for it be useful. Other things out there like Siri, are only useful when I'm actively using it. So if I'm not using Siri, it's of no use to me, whereas even though I wasn't using Google Now, it still wound up being useful for me.

That's really cool, I'm not even going to lie.
I'm excited to use Google Now in the future.

elpmas
Jul 26, 2012, 11:59 PM
That's pretty crazy.

The iGentleman
Jul 27, 2012, 12:13 AM
That's really cool, I'm not even going to lie.
I'm excited to use Google Now in the future.

Yeah I was quite surprised at that also. I read about it doing that, but reading about it and me actually seeing it do it is totally different things. I was pleasantly surprised. If it's this good in its infancy, I can't way to see it as it matures. Google says there will be more cards added in the future, so I can't wait to see what they add. I'm hoping they add something by the time the next Nexus comes out.

RyanF
Jul 27, 2012, 12:36 AM
Congratulaons you made it to work on time just like the hundreds of thousands of other people that get to work on time everyday. :)

To be honest, that is really cool...but common sense would have told me that if it takes me 30 mins to get there, that I should probably give myself an extra 20 mins or so to account for traffic. I have a 30 minute commute to work as well, and I always leave at least 50 mins before I start.

But again that is pretty nifty. Sooner or later people won't have excuses to be late.

The iGentleman
Jul 27, 2012, 01:10 AM
Congratulaons you made it to work on time just like the hundreds of thousands of other people that get to work on time everyday. :)

To be honest, that is really cool...but common sense would have told me that if it takes me 30 mins to get there, that I should probably give myself an extra 20 mins or so to account for traffic. I have a 30 minute commute to work as well, and I always leave at least 50 mins before I start.

But again that is pretty nifty. Sooner or later people won't have excuses to be late.

It wasn't work, it was a meeting with someone. Furthermore, this was in the evening AFTER rush hour, when the traffic typically is gone. I make that drive all the time and there's no reason to leave 20 minutes ahead of time unless something happened. It does me no good to get to a meeting 20 minutes early. I prefer to be 5-10 minutes ahead and no more. My time is valuable, and leaving 20 minutes earlier than I have to for every meeting is not a viable option.

RyanF
Jul 27, 2012, 01:24 AM
It wasn't work, it was a meeting with someone. Furthermore, this was in the evening AFTER rush hour, when the traffic typically is gone. I make that drive all the time and there's no reason to leave 20 minutes ahead of time unless something happened. It does me no good to get to a meeting 20 minutes early. I prefer to be 5-10 minutes ahead and no more. My time is valuable, and leaving 20 minutes earlier than I have to for every meeting is not a viable option.
Oh I'm sorry I guess my time isn't valuable, according to what you just said.....oh brother.

And where do you live where you have no traffic at 8am? That's right towards the beginning of rush hour. Either way, common sense still tells you that things happen on the road, accidents, traffic, construction, detours. If it takes 30 minutes to drive somewhere you don't leave 30 minutes ahead of time.

You seem defensive. I didn't mean to insult you if I did. And for someone who doesn't have any spare time, why are you posting on a forum? Doesn't add up.

EDIT: My apologies thought you were talking AM. Even though I still leave 15 minutes early at least no matter where I go, I hate being late....either way sorry for the mix up. Like I said that's pretty cool. Although I don't think a feature like this deserves the title of this thread. Sort of seems like you just want to stir the pot.

The iGentleman
Jul 27, 2012, 02:08 AM
Oh I'm sorry I guess my time isn't valuable, according to what you just said.....oh brother.

And where do you live where you have no traffic at 8am? That's right towards the beginning of rush hour. Either way, common sense still tells you that things happen on the road, accidents, traffic, construction, detours. If it takes 30 minutes to drive somewhere you don't leave 30 minutes ahead of time.

You seem defensive. I didn't mean to insult you if I did. And for someone who doesn't have any spare time, why are you posting on a forum? Doesn't add up.

EDIT: My apologies thought you were talking AM. Even though I still leave 15 minutes early at least no matter where I go, I hate being late....either way sorry for the mix up. Like I said that's pretty cool. Although I don't think a feature like this deserves the title of this thread. Sort of seems like you just want to stir the pot.

I'm not saying your time isn't valuable, just we obviously value our time differently. I have meetings with various people frequently and can't afford to show up to every meeting 20 minutes early. That's all I'm saying. If I showed up to every meeting 20 minutes early every day, then that would equate to a lot of time wasted each day. For the time it would total up, I could have sat down at a restaurant and relaxed for an hour and a half.

Regarding the title, there have been a lot of comparisons of Google Now to other things like Siri and S Voice, so that's where the title stems from. People have gotten so wrapped up in the voice part of Google Now that they don't even mention the rest of it. This post is intended to show another part of it that nobody seems to be mentioning.

jeffe
Jul 27, 2012, 02:20 AM
I'm always blown away by how accurate google navigation is....Usually predicts my arrival time within a min or two before I even turn on to the main highway.

zbarvian
Jul 27, 2012, 07:34 AM
Google Now is definitely a cool feature but really is quite limited at the moment. I don't see why people compare Google Now and Siri, they are completely different services. Voice Search and Siri are way more akin.

The iGentleman
Jul 27, 2012, 08:41 AM
Google Now is definitely a cool feature but really is quite limited at the moment. I don't see why people compare Google Now and Siri, they are completely different services. Voice Search and Siri are way more akin.

When people discuss Google Now, for some reason they fixate on just the Voice part of it, even though that is just a small portion of what it is. Yes it currently has some limitations, but if the other Google apps are any indication, they'll be updating it often (Google has already said more features will be added). That said, despite its current limitations, Google Now is a MUCH better product than Siri. With my 4S, I can go a week and have only used Siri 2-3 times. With Google Now, even when I'm not actively using it, it winds up providing something useful throughout the day.

zbarvian
Jul 27, 2012, 09:42 AM
When people discuss Google Now, for some reason they fixate on just the Voice part of it, even though that is just a small portion of what it is. Yes it currently has some limitations, but if the other Google apps are any indication, they'll be updating it often (Google has already said more features will be added). That said, despite its current limitations, Google Now is a MUCH better product than Siri. With my 4S, I can go a week and have only used Siri 2-3 times. With Google Now, even when I'm not actively using it, it winds up providing something useful throughout the day.

Google Now is a completely separate feature than Voice Search. Google Now is not comparable to Siri. I am really intrigued by Google Now, though, and I'm sure it will continue to expand with its functionality.

batting1000
Jul 27, 2012, 10:06 AM
Siri gives you alternate routes in iOS 6 if there's a hold-up like traffic or an accident so what's the big deal?

The iGentleman
Jul 27, 2012, 10:28 AM
Siri gives you alternate routes in iOS 6 if there's a hold-up like traffic or an accident so what's the big deal?

Yeah but Siri doesn't give you a notification ahead of time to tell you that you need to leave early because there's a traffic delay on the shortest route. I should have known you'd show up on this post and try to minimize what happened. :rolleyes:

batting1000
Jul 27, 2012, 10:31 AM
Yeah but Siri doesn't give you a notification ahead of time to tell you that you need to leave early because there's a traffic delay on the shortest route. I should have known you'd show up on this post and try to minimize what happened. :rolleyes:

I'm not downplaying the feature, as it is neat, but doesn't Google Now have to learn the route before it can tell you when you should be leaving?

John.B
Jul 27, 2012, 11:00 AM
Unfortunately, my Android phone from work doesn't play nice with our corporate Exchange server, and some recurring meetings wind up getting moved by an hour due to a DST bug. So in this case, I would've been exactly 55 minutes late if I'd trusted Google to get me to a recurring meeting on time. But, sure, A for effort!

Mac.World
Jul 27, 2012, 11:11 AM

That kind of data will only exist, if a user has ios6 installed and IF they are on a 4S or 5 and IF they have the option to provide data to Apple enabled. I'm not sure but I also think the user needs to have navigation on in order to provide data about traffic to all other users.

Google traffic is fairly accurate, but it can take upwards of 30 minutes before a traffic jam is reported into the system. Any construction area is pretty accurate all the time. I have done a bit of driving in San Francisco, Cupertino and LA. If Apple can be more accurate with their speed in reporting I will be impressed and will use the new iphone for turn by turn navigation instead of my S3. That's the nice thing about having both phones. Whatever feature is better is what I will use.

batting1000
Jul 27, 2012, 11:18 AM
That kind of data will only exist, if a user has ios6 installed and IF they are on a 4S or 5 and IF they have the option to provide data to Apple enabled. I'm not sure but I also think the user needs to have navigation on in order to provide data about traffic to all other users.

Google traffic is fairly accurate, but it can take upwards of 30 minutes before a traffic jam is reported into the system. Any construction area is pretty accurate all the time. I have done a bit of driving in San Francisco, Cupertino and LA. If Apple can be more accurate with their speed in reporting I will be impressed and will use the new iphone for turn by turn navigation instead of my S3. That's the nice thing about having both phones. Whatever feature is better is what I will use.

Seems you didn't read my next post.

I'm not downplaying the feature, as it is neat, but doesn't Google Now have to learn the route before it can tell you when you should be leaving?

LIVEFRMNYC
Jul 27, 2012, 11:41 AM
I never rely on any navigation's ETA or when I should begin. Might have been accurate x amount of times, but nothing can gauge true traffic or obstacles. What if your traveling in an unfamiliar area, who's gonna tell you when a draw bridge suddenly opens up? And here in NY, traffic changes by the minute.

The iGentleman
Jul 27, 2012, 11:52 AM

No it doesn't. It calculates the best route on it's own, and let's you know when to leave based on the travel time with traffic. If the best route has too much traffic, it may suggest a longer route with less traffic if it will get you there faster.

----------

And it would require them manually putting in the address to were they're going, or at the least initiate the search for a route. In the end, that doesn't help if you're just finding out about the delay when you're walking out the door.
As for what you said about the traffic reporting, I guess it depends on the area. My experience with Google's traffic data has been very good. They tend to be very accurate, and it gets reported fairly timely. It's gotten me past many a traffic jam.

batting1000
Jul 27, 2012, 11:57 AM
No it doesn't. It calculates the best route on it's own, and let's you know when to leave based on the travel time with traffic. If the best route has too much traffic, it may suggest a longer route with less traffic if it will get you there faster.

Ok, so what if I forget to put in where I'm going ahead of time? It's not going to calculate anything. (That is, if it doesn't learn my route.)

daveathall
Jul 27, 2012, 12:00 PM
This looks awesome, I had not heard of it before so did a bit of Googling (how apt) Im looking forward to this.

Good review here;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/mobile-app-reviews/9428755/Google-Now-review.html

nuckinfutz
Jul 27, 2012, 12:19 PM
Yay

You've just done the same thing that my Navigon GPS would do. Calculating how long it takes from point A to point B isn't that difficult.

You're trumping a feature that really isn't that cool. I can do this on my own easily. Not groundbreaking

The iGentleman
Jul 27, 2012, 12:34 PM
Ok, so what if I forget to put in where I'm going ahead of time? It's not going to calculate anything. (That is, if it doesn't learn my route.)

Well if you don't have anything scheduled, then it won't know you have something scheduled. Now something like work, you don't have to schedule, it learns that on it's own. As for meetings, if you schedule the meeting (I use exchange), then your phone will know about it. When I put the meeting in my calendar on the computer, since I use exchange it shows up in my phone (which it would do that if I were using Google's calendar too). Then when it comes close to time for the meeting it will starting checking routes and let you know when to leave.

----------

Yay

You've just done the same thing that my Navigon GPS would do. Calculating how long it takes from point A to point B isn't that difficult.

You're trumping a feature that really isn't that cool. I can do this on my own easily. Not groundbreaking

So your Navigon will alert you ahead of time, before it's time for you to go and let you know you need to leave early so you can be on time, and then tell you the time you should leave? I've NEVER heard of a GPS that can do this. Kindly provide me with this GPS of the future that you have, that can notify me ahead of time, letting me know of delays so that you can leave early. I'd love to know what GPS you have that I don't even have to input my destination and it automatically calculates time with traffic, and notifies me early that I need to leave ahead of time so I can be on time. Yes, let me know what GPS that is that does that. I'll be waiting. :rolleyes:

onthecouchagain
Jul 27, 2012, 12:37 PM
Putting the smart in smartphone.

ChazUK
Jul 27, 2012, 12:42 PM
Yay

It wouldn't hurt to understand what you're trying to belittle before trying to belittle it.

BFizzzle
Jul 27, 2012, 12:43 PM
that is really cool.

you should change your title to This is another reason why *i think google is the best :p

batting1000
Jul 27, 2012, 12:47 PM
Well if you don't have anything scheduled, then it won't know you have something scheduled. Now something like work, you don't have to schedule, it learns that on it's own. As for meetings, if you schedule the meeting (I use exchange), then your phone will know about it. When I put the meeting in my calendar on the computer, since I use exchange it shows up in my phone (which it would do that if I were using Google's calendar too). Then when it comes close to time for the meeting it will starting checking routes and let you know when to leave.

But it won't tell you when to leave UNTIL it learns your route which could take a few trips back and forth.

nuckinfutz
Jul 27, 2012, 12:49 PM
It wouldn't hurt to understand what you're trying to belittle before trying to belittle it.

My Navigon gives me an ETA the minute my GPS starts. What Google is doing is calculating the time based on the route and adding that to an event. It's not rocket science folks. I can do that in my head in 5 seconds.

Trying to promote this as some amazing feature is boorish.

ChazUK
Jul 27, 2012, 12:51 PM
But it won't tell you when to leave UNTIL it learns your route which could take a few trips back and forth.

It knows the route based on the destination address in the calendar entry.

Close to appointment time
Check destination
Check traffic
Calculate route
Warn user before hand if traffic is bad.

batting1000
Jul 27, 2012, 12:53 PM
It knows the route based on the destination address in the calendar entry.

Close to appointment time
Check destination
Check traffic
Calculate route
Warn user before hand if traffic is bad.

I never said anything about a calendar entry. That requires me to add a calendar entry which I can forget to do.

ChazUK
Jul 27, 2012, 12:57 PM
My Navigon gives me an ETA the minute my GPS starts. What Google is doing is calculating the time based on the route and adding that to an event. It's not rocket science folks. I can do that in my head in 5 seconds.

Trying to promote this as some amazing feature is boorish.

Whatever works best for you I guess.

Automatically checking destinations from your work or personal calendar and factoring travel conditions prior to a meeting or event taking place is quite innovative in my eyes.

Different strokes for different folk and all that.

----------

I never said anything about a calendar entry. That requires me to add a calendar entry which I can forget to do.

I often receive exchange and personal meeting requests/appointments which populate in my calendars. Nothing manually added by me at all.

You obviously use your smartphone differently to me.

nuckinfutz
Jul 27, 2012, 01:08 PM
ChazUK

I'm simply coming from the perspective that I want my computing devices to do the things that I cannot do well and leave the stuff I can do well.

I want my computers to make me better. To each their own. This may be a great feature but to me it's simply doing something that I can do on my own with enough accuracy.

This thread stated this was a reason why Google is now the best and some of us disagree.

The iGentleman
Jul 27, 2012, 01:17 PM

Maybe you didn't read my response to you before. If you have an appointment scheduled it doesn't have to learn the route. It calculates the best route automatically.

----------

Whatever works best for you I guess.

Automatically checking destinations from your work or personal calendar and factoring travel conditions prior to a meeting or event taking place is quite innovative in my eyes.

Different strokes for different folk and all that.
I wouldn't pay him any mind, he's obviously reaching...big time. For him to even hint that a gps does the same thing is asinine at best.

----------

I often receive exchange and personal meeting requests/appointments which populate in my calendars. Nothing manually added by me at all.

You obviously use your smartphone differently to me.[/QUOTE]
EXACTLY! Same here. Often times, I don't have to put my meetings in my phone, the request comes in and it's added.

ChazUK
Jul 27, 2012, 01:19 PM
This thread stated this was a reason why Google is now the best and some of us disagree.

I don't think it is "the best" either but when using my GSIII instead of my Nexus, I do miss the features that Google Now have bought.

It could turn us into even lazier smartphone users and when it does go wrong (which it inevitably will) we'll only have ourselves to blame!

The iGentleman
Jul 27, 2012, 01:22 PM

How else will the phone know you have a meeting scheduled if you don't input it at some point in time. The point of it is, the data is in the phone and your phone knows what to do with the data to help you out. Not putting your meetings in the phone is like not telling your secretary you have a 3:00 scheduled then getting mad at her when she doesn't have the refreshments ready at 3:00. If she doesn't know about then she can prepare for it.

----------

ChazUK

I'm simply coming from the perspective that I want my computing devices to do the things that I cannot do well and leave the stuff I can do well.

I want my computers to make me better. To each their own. This may be a great feature but to me it's simply doing something that I can do on my own with enough accuracy.

The problem is, your basis for disagreement is, for lack of a better term, stupid. Your whole stance is a GPS can do that which it cannot. You still never did provide me the model of this GPS of the future that can let you know about delays ahead of time before you even input your data, and let's you know that you need to leave early if there's a delay. I'm still waiting on you to give me that gps model... :rolleyes:

ChazUK
Jul 27, 2012, 01:22 PM
How else will the phone know you have a meeting scheduled if you don't input it at some point in time. The point of it is, the data is in the phone and your phone knows what to do with the data to help you out. Not putting your meetings in the phone is like not telling your secretary you have a 3:00 scheduled then getting mad at her when she doesn't have the refreshments ready at 3:00. If she doesn't know about then she can prepare for it.

Perhaps she needs to learn your habits?:D ;) :p

The iGentleman
Jul 27, 2012, 01:30 PM
Perhaps she needs to learn your habits?:D ;) :p

lol :p

Zaft
Jul 27, 2012, 01:51 PM
My car warns me of traffic and re routes if need be :D:D:D

The iGentleman
Jul 27, 2012, 01:58 PM
My car warns me of traffic and re routes if need be :D:D:D

Of course that's once you're actually in the car, and have begun. The whole point of this is that you get this information before the delay has affected you, and are advised ahead of time so that you are aware of the time it will take BEFORE it's too late. By the time I get in the car, if there is a delay on the route, it may be too late for me to make that time up. There may not be a way around that delay that will save time. I'd much rather know about it beforehand so I can leave out early enough to account for the delay. Here in Atlanta, sometimes a delay can set you back an hour in the morning. If there's an hour delay on the road, it would help to know about it well in advance.

zbarvian
Jul 27, 2012, 02:18 PM
Can we all settle on this being a cool, useful new feature of Android? Some of the rebuttals in here are just ridiculous.

The iGentleman
Jul 27, 2012, 02:36 PM
Can we all settle on this being a cool, useful new feature of Android? Some of the rebuttals in here are just ridiculous.

Agreed.

knucklehead
Jul 27, 2012, 03:24 PM
The problem is, your basis for disagreement is, for lack of a better term, stupid. Your whole stance is a GPS can do that which it cannot. You still never did provide me the model of this GPS of the future that can let you know about delays ahead of time before you even input your data, and let's you know that you need to leave early if there's a delay. I'm still waiting on you to give me that gps model... :rolleyes:

I believe he said "Navigon", which is an app I also own -- in the present, and for some time now. Like many other GPS's, it can provide an ETA based on _current_ traffic data.

I believe his point, is that he is a big boy, and is capable, and in the good habit of, checking this for himself for appointments. Who knows ... he might actually wipe his butt all by himself too ...

Not saying this isn't a "neat" feature, but I think you missed his point of some poeples sense of it's importance in the overall scheme of things.

PS - I think people here are putting a bit too much weight on just how accurate traffic data can be "predicted". There are many ways that for that to go wrong.

John.B
Jul 27, 2012, 04:30 PM
Can we all settle on this being a cool, useful new feature of Android?

Sure, if the OP changes the thread title to "This is Another Reason Google Now is Cool" or "Check Out This New Navigation Feature". But that's not what he said.

Some of the rebuttals in here are just ridiculous.

To me, this is a gee-whiz feature that doesn't come close to overriding all the annoyances I have with my work Android phone. Sorry if you find that "ridiculous". If it bothers you that much, maybe you can take it to the AndroidRumors forum?

urkel
Jul 27, 2012, 06:49 PM
Wow. Its really amazing how some people will try to downplay a feature simply because Apple didn't make it. Cool Features aren't an Apple exclusive.

Sensamic
Jul 27, 2012, 07:40 PM
My hope is that Google updates the new Google Now and Voice Search the same way the do with their other apps as YouTube and Maps: via the Play Store.

Siri, on the other hand, needs to wait for each iOS update to receive new features.

It would be very cool if Google Now and Voice Search receive updates during the year to add functionality.

jeffe
Jul 27, 2012, 07:42 PM

Hi batting, It will tell you when to leave if you tell it you need to be somewhere by a certain time. If it just knows you like to go somewhere out of habit, then it will just keep you notified of how long the commute time will be. It won't tell you when to leave unless you tell it you need to be somewhere at a certain time.

batting1000
Jul 27, 2012, 07:55 PM
Hi batting, It will tell you when to leave if you tell it you need to be somewhere by a certain time. If it just knows you like to go somewhere out of habit, then it will just keep you notified of how long the commute time will be. It won't tell you when to leave unless you tell it you need to be somewhere at a certain time.

So if I went to work at 8am every day and I wanted to be notified of traffic / when to leave every day, I'd have to put a calendar event in for every single day? Not very intuitive if you ask me.

fox10078
Jul 27, 2012, 08:07 PM
So if I went to work at 8am every day and I wanted to be notified of traffic / when to leave every day, I'd have to put a calendar event in for every single day? Not very intuitive if you ask me.

Jesus man this is pretty simple.

You go to work EVERYDAY, it learns that you go to work everyday, it will tell you traffic before you leave at 8AM, you can specify your work address so it knows for sure the address or you can let it learn on its own.

If you have a meeting along your day in your calendar with an Address it will tell you the traffic on the way when it's close to the meeting.

I'm not sure if your being purposefully obtuse, or what cause this has been explained many times throughout the thread.

batting1000
Jul 27, 2012, 08:29 PM

You go to work EVERYDAY, it learns that you go to work everyday, it will tell you traffic before you leave at 8AM, you can specify your work address so it knows for sure the address or you can let it learn on its own.

If you have a meeting along your day in your calendar with an Address it will tell you the traffic on the way when it's close to the meeting.

I'm not sure if your being purposefully obtuse, or what cause this has been explained many times throughout the thread.

Gotcha, wasn't sure.

The iGentleman
Jul 27, 2012, 09:38 PM
I believe he said "Navigon", which is an app I also own -- in the present, and for some time now. Like many other GPS's, it can provide an ETA based on _current_ traffic data.

I believe his point, is that he is a big boy, and is capable, and in the good habit of, checking this for himself for appointments. Who knows ... he might actually wipe his butt all by himself too ...

Not saying this isn't a "neat" feature, but I think you missed his point of some poeples sense of it's importance in the overall scheme of things.

PS - I think people here are putting a bit too much weight on just how accurate traffic data can be "predicted". There are many ways that for that to go wrong.

He said his "Navigon GPS". Even if he did mean an app, that's still no reason to downplay the convenience of automation. Using that line of thought, it's not useful to be able to look up phone numbers on my phone, because I can use a phone book just as easily. Why use an alarm on the phone, when I can set an alarm clock like a big boy? Just because you can do something yourself manually, doesn't mean something being done automatically isn't a good or useful thing. One thing's for certain, not being notified of a delay ahead of time could never hurt, but not being made aware of said delay could certainly prove to be problematic. Only on this site would a person find fault with something like that. Funny thing is, if it were Apple that released something like that, that same guy would be all over talking about how revolutionary it is. But I guess for some people (like that guy), if Apple doesn't make it, then it's not good.

----------

Sure, if the OP changes the thread title to "This is Another Reason Google Now is Cool" or "Check Out This New Navigation Feature". But that's not what he said.

If you disagree (which you're entitled to), then please tell me what's better. Certainly not Siri, so I'd love to hear what you think can outmatch the level of functionality and usefulness of Google Now...and please don't do like that one other guy and start talking about a GPS and such.

----------

My hope is that Google updates the new Google Now and Voice Search the same way the do with their other apps as YouTube and Maps: via the Play Store.

Siri, on the other hand, needs to wait for each iOS update to receive new features.

It would be very cool if Google Now and Voice Search receive updates during the year to add functionality.

It will. It replaces voice search, and is part of the Google suite, meaning it will be an updated app like the other parts of the Google suite. I can't wait to see what other functionality they add to it.

----------

Exactly!

onthecouchagain
Jul 28, 2012, 12:48 AM
If this was an iOS feature, you'd bet Batting would get it right away, then promptly be touting its awesomeness. But if it's from Google, only a minor acknowledgment tempered with an undertone of it's-pretty-unnecessary attitude.

Love it.

zbarvian
Jul 28, 2012, 12:57 AM

To me, this is a gee-whiz feature that doesn't come close to overriding all the annoyances I have with my work Android phone. Sorry if you find that "ridiculous". If it bothers you that much, maybe you can take it to the AndroidRumors forum?

My apologies for trying to end the nonsense in this thread. Please, continue nitpicking and trying to relate your irrelevant woes with Android to this thread.

I'm an Apple loyalist, but at least I can just admit that this is a neat feature, and agree with the OP in that regard.

Technarchy
Jul 28, 2012, 02:47 AM

Interesting point.

This makes me wonder what impact traffic data aggregated from all iOS users will have on making traffic data more accurate, reliable and predictable in Maps, and iOS6.

Given the ubiquitous nature of the iPhone, it should make for one hell of a global pathfinder network.

iEvolution
Jul 28, 2012, 02:52 AM
Pretty freakin sweet to be honest, I'd love to have that, especially for post-work traffic.

Though there are variables it cant predict, there would have to be at least a slight delay when google gets the info and when it sends to you, plus it couldnt predict how fast you drive.

The iGentleman
Jul 28, 2012, 03:05 AM
Interesting point.

This makes me wonder what impact traffic data aggregated from all iOS users will have on making traffic data more accurate, reliable and predictable in Maps, and iOS6.

Given the ubiquitous nature of the iPhone, it should make for one hell of a global pathfinder network.

Really I don't think you will see much difference. If Apple does indeed get their traffic data only from users then I think it will have the potential of either being as good, or possibly not as good as Google's. The reason I say that is because Google currently gets their traffic data from a combination of 3rd party sources and Android users, so if Apple only uses one source I think it at best match it, and at worse come up a little shorter. Hopefully Apple also will employ 3rd party providers in addition to iPhone owners, that way the traffic data will be more reliable.

Technarchy
Jul 28, 2012, 03:15 AM
Really I don't think you will see much difference. If Apple does indeed get their traffic data only from users then I think it will have the potential of either being as good, or possibly not as good as Google's. The reason I say that is because Google currently gets their traffic data from a combination of 3rd party sources and Android users, so if Apple only uses one source I think it at best match it, and at worse come up a little shorter. Hopefully Apple also will employ 3rd party providers in addition to iPhone owners, that way the traffic data will be more reliable.

I don't know what Google's 3rd party sources are, but I do know the best intelligence always comes from engaged assets on the ground.

If nothing else, we know without question iOS users are engaged with their devices and tend to dominate all usage and consumption charts. Traffic data will be the same, and Apple's data pool will be among the largest on the planet very quickly.

The iGentleman
Jul 28, 2012, 05:56 AM
I don't know what Google's 3rd party sources are, but I do know the best intelligence always comes from engaged assets on the ground.

If nothing else, we know without question iOS users are engaged with their devices and tend to dominate all usage and consumption charts. Traffic data will be the same, and Apple's data pool will be among the largest on the planet very quickly.

I think you may be confused to how traffic is gauged via users. It doesn't matter about their consumption or usage. That has no bearing at all. Basically, if they are opted in (which most people probably will be, just like on Android), then their phone will periodically anonymously relay information back to Apple's servers. I believe the guys on Mac Rumors like to call it data mining lol. But your phone will send Apple the data it needs to determine traffic without you doing anything on your end. Basically when they see a certain amount of users in an area that is congested, they will be able to tell by the way those user's are moving (or lack of movement). It appears to be the exact same concept Google employs now. The only difference is, Apple has made no mention of having any 3rd parties help. Perhaps Tom Tom will, since they are partnering with them on the maps. If they don't get any third party help, there simply aren't enough iPhone users out there to get nearly the same amount of traffic data as Google. That said, I'm sure Apple doesn't intend to go it alone. I would think they are smarter than that.

ChazUK
Jul 28, 2012, 06:04 AM
Traffic data will be the same, and Apple's data pool will be among the largest on the planet very quickly.

Aren't we forgetting only the 4s supports the new mapping system by Apple?

400 million Android activations were touted at Google I/O, and as GPS is a requirement to be included in the Google apps suite, (almost - excluding hacked Kindle's e.t.c) every single one of those devices will be compatible with Google Maps.

From the updated Android compatibility requirements:
http://static.googleusercontent.com/external_content/untrusted_dlcp/source.android.com/en//compatibility/4.1/android-4.1-cdd.pdf

7.3.3. GPS
Device implementations SHOULD include a GPS receiver. If a device implementation does include a GPS receiver,
it SHOULD include some form of "assisted GPS" technique to minimize GPS lock-on time.

That's quite some data pool if you ask me.

The iGentleman
Jul 28, 2012, 06:23 AM
Aren't we forgetting only the 4s supports the new mapping system by Apple?

400 million Android activations were touted at Google I/O, and as GPS is a requirement to be included in the Google apps suite, (almost - excluding hacked Kindle's e.t.c) every single one of those devices will be compatible with Google Maps.

From the updated Android compatibility requirements:
http://static.googleusercontent.com/external_content/untrusted_dlcp/source.android.com/en//compatibility/4.1/android-4.1-cdd.pdf

That's quite some data pool if you ask me.

To be fair, it's only the 4S that will get access to the 3d maps. The 4 will still have access to maps, just not Flyover from my understanding. One thing though is certain, Apple will most definitely have the 4's reporting their locations just like the 4S'. The thing I'm interested in knowing is if Apple will be getting 3rd part assistance with traffic or do they intend on relying 100% on the user base. If they intend on relying soley on the user base, there is no way they will be able to as much traffic data as Google. Google will even show traffic on small surface streets. Google wouldn't be able to accomplish that without the help of 3rd parties, and Google has WAY more Android owners out there than Apple. That said, if Apple chooses to go it alone, their traffic reporting will not be very good at all.

Pompiliu
Jul 28, 2012, 06:34 AM
+14047850991

urkel
Jul 28, 2012, 08:25 AM
Wow, thats honestly a pretty incredible feature. I can't wait until Apple invents it.

SlCKB0Y
Jul 28, 2012, 09:50 AM
You know what happened the other day? Google Now somehow worked out the location of my work and I have never been prompted for it - It was accurate... actually a little creepy :D

It also worked out that I was on the bus i get to that work address and provided me with an ETA mid journey with no input from myself.

nickchallis92
Jul 28, 2012, 09:55 AM
sounds amazing. can't wait for the update on my s3. shouldn't be long now.

:D:D:)

Evoken
Jul 28, 2012, 10:01 AM
Wow, thats honestly a pretty incredible feature. I can't wait until Apple invents it.

Invents it? It has already been invented ;)

SlCKB0Y
Jul 28, 2012, 10:14 AM
Invents it? It has already been invented ;)

He was being a smart arse and having a dig at Apple. :D

revelated
Jul 28, 2012, 10:26 AM

The way you explained this is about 30% accurate, FYI. But that's not your fault.

There are three things we're talking about here. I'll talk about them in pieces and give them my own naming so as to separate them clearly.

Google Now - Predictive Traffic

Pops up a card with a map showing traffic between destination points. If you're at Point A it will show you traffic to Point B, and vice versa. This happens automatically, you are not required to do anything to make this start happening (unless you disabled the card). However, it will only get these points exactly right if you set the two addresses (i.e. Home and Work) in your Location settings. What I found is that without the addresses, it took a more general view; for example, I live in Bothell and work in Seattle, so it did a navigation from city to city rather than from even approximate addresses. When I gave it the addresses it then gave more accurate results. It MIGHT have done better with more time, but I would then consider that a deficiency since GPS knows my exact start and terminating locations.

It seems to pop the card regardless of the time of day and just checks traffic conditions throughout the day regardless of use. This is a downright battery killer if you're not on Wi-Fi. Like right now I'm sitting at home on the weekend, no work, yet it's showing me the work commute.

Google Now - Scheduled Commute Traffic

Pops up a card with a map showing traffic between your current location and where you need to be based on what appointments are in your Google Calendar (it may also look at your Mail calendar, but it won't look at other calendars, i.e. Touchdown. I don't use the Mail calendar because it gives too much power to the employer to literally wipe my entire phone. If I get a Nexus 7 I will test this because then it won't matter). This card can often confuse with the other card if the infrastructure in your area is poor.

For example, there are technically three roads I could take to get to work. One is shorter but has a toll that I refuse to pay, so I take a different freeway which ends up being longer but depending on what time I leave may end up being basically the same time to get there. Predictive Traffic learned that I repeatedly take this route and so will show me the traffic along the alternate freeway, but the Scheduled Commute Traffic will *always* pick the shortest route even if it's not what you want to do and even if functionally there is another route that would get you there at the same time without paying the toll. Just the other day it told me to take the toll bridge and pay $3.40 to get to Seattle in 30 minutes rather than just take the I-5 to get to Seattle in 30 minutes. Huh?

There's currently no way to give Google Now instructions to avoid tolls or avoid highways, so I don't use this that much at all.

Google Now - Scheduled Commute Notifications

This is a cool feature but fundamentally flawed, again, based on poor infrastructure.

Using the Scheduled Commute Traffic logic, this will pop a notification to you and "guess" how long in advance you should leave your current destination to get to your final destination based on assumed travel time given all factors detected. The problem I found is that in Western Washington it's wrong 100% of the time because the traffic conditions fluctuate too fast for Google to keep up with. This is because the infrastructure is so bad that there aren't ways to get around problems on the freeway. The I-5 is especially a problem.

For example, from my location I have to drive 10 minutes north on 405 to get to 5 south. During that 10 minute drive I might very well be looking at normal flowing traffic on the 5, but let's say a bus enters the freeway. It has to jam up traffic cramming over to the express lane before the flow improves again. Multiply that by 5 (since we have frequent buses), add in taxis, carpools, motorcycles, and cops and you end up with a problem within minutes. By the time I get there, it's heavy traffic. Another problem is accidents, if there are ANY accidents on either side of the freeway, traffic will choke horribly and suddenly, between people who don't know how to react and look-e-loos. Again, there is no way to avoid this catastrophe in certain stretches and there aren't enough offramps for alternate travel.

So assuming the traffic flow remains consistent, the estimate is accurate, i.e. in a better infrastructure, I should be able to reach Seattle in no more than 30 minutes. But because the infrastructure is poor and the traffic flow fluctuates so rapidly that Google can't keep up with it, it will tell you that leaving 30 minutes early is perfectly acceptable but your commute ends up being an hour. (mind you, this is a 19-mile distance). In a metro like San Diego where they have invested many millions of dollars developing a freeway system that properly manages traffic, this estimate is probably spot on (didn't get a chance to test it before I moved out).

The other things Google Now does:

Weather card for forecasts
Public transportation schedules as you get near to or pass bus stops and terminals
Locations to check in (Google Latitude/Google+) as you pass them, restaurants, bars, etc.
Sports scores and outcomes based on frequent searches for the same (Have never seen this because I don't search sports and it doesn't apparently count boxing)

iosuser
Jul 28, 2012, 10:32 AM
I should have known you'd show up on this post and try to minimize what happened. :rolleyes:

I think that's the same poster who insists performing a task with 5 clicks on ios is no more tedious than a single press on Android :rolleyes:

That is a very cool feature, I'd never got to try it before I switched to an S3. Not too late though as I still have both the Gnex and S3 :D

Just thinking to myself aloud here, after updating to Safari 6 it no longer auto-correct ios to iOS.

batting1000
Jul 28, 2012, 10:34 AM
To be fair, it's only the 4S that will get access to the 3d maps. The 4 will still have access to maps, just not Flyover from my understanding. One thing though is certain, Apple will most definitely have the 4's reporting their locations just like the 4S'. The thing I'm interested in knowing is if Apple will be getting 3rd part assistance with traffic or do they intend on relying 100% on the user base. If they intend on relying soley on the user base, there is no way they will be able to as much traffic data as Google. Google will even show traffic on small surface streets. Google wouldn't be able to accomplish that without the help of 3rd parties, and Google has WAY more Android owners out there than Apple. That said, if Apple chooses to go it alone, their traffic reporting will not be very good at all.

Sure, the 3GS, 4, and 4S will all be getting the new Maps, but only the 4S and later will be receiving the turn by turn, flyover, and 3D. Having said that, the 4 and 3GS will still get the new Map data and such but will use the old way of directions (just showing the different routes) without the turn by turn and voice.

In addition, Apple did say during WWDC that they will have a public transit API that debs can take advantage of and Apple would promote and feature apps that use it. I'm sure they will do traffic similar to other GPS system do it like standalone devices and Google Nav.

batting1000
Jul 28, 2012, 10:35 AM
I think that's the same poster who insists performing a task with 5 clicks on ios is no more tedious than a single press on Android :rolleyes:

That is a very cool feature, I'd never got to try it before I switched to an S3. Not too late though as I still have both the Gnex and S3 :D

Just thinking to myself aloud here, after updating to Safari 6 it no longer auto-correct ios to iOS.

Probably the only thing I have to do 5 clicks for is adding a photo to an email (fixed in iOS 6). That's about it.

iosuser
Jul 28, 2012, 10:40 AM
Those batting and nuckin guys are the biggest Apple apologist around here.

Just wanted to state the obvious :p

Maybe you didn't read my response to you before. If you have an appointment scheduled it doesn't have to learn the route. It calculates the best route automatically.

----------

I wouldn't pay him any mind, he's obviously reaching...big time. For him to even hint that a gps does the same thing is asinine at best.

----------

You obviously use your smartphone differently to me.
EXACTLY! Same here. Often times, I don't have to put my meetings in my phone, the request comes in and it's added.[/QUOTE]

Sensamic
Jul 28, 2012, 11:22 AM
I think anyone can admit that these are exciting times for Android, and not so much (if at all) for the iOS world: 4 inch screen? Too late and not that big of a deal. Quad core? Too late. NFC? Too late. 4G? Again, too late. Ios 6? Boring.

Just read the comments here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1412842&page=8

More than 50/60% of the people though iOS 6 was dissapointing, probably even more. On the other hand, ICS and JB have made huge advances to android.

Google Now, the new Voice Search, Project Butter, NFC, quad cores, big HD screens and more compared to what? Facebook integration, new Siri commands, a 4 inch taller screen and an inferior Maps solution?

Some of the new features in iOS 6 could and should have been implemented before, like attaching files directly from the Mail app and inside Safari. Why now and not on iOS 5 or 5.1.1 (which was another worthless update)?

Google Navigation is available to every android device while apples turn by turn is only available in the 4S. Google Now and new Voice search will be available on every device that updates to JB, while Siri is only available on the 4S (and coming to the iPad 3).

Seems to me that Apple likes fragmentation more than Google...

jeffe
Jul 28, 2012, 12:03 PM

I'm not sure of all of Google's sources but I know Android phones are one of the sources for google traffic information and data is transmitted unless you opt-out.

For me, It is has been amazingly accurate. While driving, I'll enter stop and go traffic exactly where google shows the street turning green to red. The ETA time is almost always accurate for me, usually within 0-2 minutes and this is driving 30+ minutes through varying traffic and the time is given to me even before I pull out of my driveway.

batting1000
Jul 28, 2012, 02:48 PM
I think anyone can admit that these are exciting times for Android, and not so much (if at all) for the iOS world: 4 inch screen? Too late and not that big of a deal. Quad core? Too late. NFC? Too late. 4G? Again, too late. Ios 6? Boring.

Here's a perfect example. Sensamic can't accept the fact that just because HE doesn't like iOS 6 or thinks features are "too late", doesn't mean everyone dones. I don't care who you poll or who you ask about, but if you're gonna try to go around and post as though you're trying to dissuade people from using a certain platform because of your opinions and preconceived notions, you shouldn't really be here. The fact that you're saying iOS is too late is funny when the Nexus S was the first NFC Android device (every manufacturer that released an NFC device after the Nexus was too late as well, same with all the other features).

Again, the fact that you're going around talking all this nonsense is rather irritating.

Vegastouch
Jul 28, 2012, 04:18 PM
Lol. Just because I like iOS better because it works for me better doesn't mean I have an excuse for everything. Some just can't accept that iOS works for some and not others..

But you do have an excuse for everything and you just said what you cant accept. iOS is a great device and ive always said that and some things it does do better. It just doesnt do enough and Android has caught up and surpassed in some aspects. THAT, you cant accept and always have a reason why Android isnt better at it.

I am not a diehard Android lover. I like it now as the best device and i love my GS3. Will be even better when it gets JB.
It is as big as i want to go and really could be a tad smaller but i can work it just fine. The iPhone IMO is still going to be too small. It should be at least a 4.3" in screen size if not 4.5". If they go to that size and get better notifications ansd more open, i may someday go back but it just seems that Android makes more progress every year so i dont see Apple catching up.

joshwithachance
Jul 28, 2012, 04:19 PM
That is freaking cool! I can't wait until my S III has Google Now.

batting1000
Jul 28, 2012, 04:52 PM
But you do have an excuse for everything and you just said what you cant accept. iOS is a great device and ive always said that and some things it does do better. It just doesnt do enough and Android has caught up and surpassed in some aspects. THAT, you cant accept and always have a reason why Android isnt better at it.

I am not a diehard Android lover. I like it now as the best device and i love my GS3. Will be even better when it gets JB.
It is as big as i want to go and really could be a tad smaller but i can work it just fine. The iPhone IMO is still going to be too small. It should be at least a 4.3" in screen size if not 4.5". If they go to that size and get better notifications ansd more open, i may someday go back but it just seems that Android makes more progress every year so i dont see Apple catching up.

I can't deny Android does more because it's quite conspicuous that it does, but I like iOS more because of the apps, polish, speed, ease of use, customer support, and updates and that's that.

My point is that when people come on here saying "switched back from the GS3" and then they list reasons, you guys are quick to come here and rebutt what they said that they didn't like or w/e. "Why didn't you try this keyboard or that launcher or this widget?" The fact is the person didn't like whatever it was and it's irritating to see people that can't accept that sort of stuff.

batting1000
Jul 28, 2012, 05:09 PM
That is freaking cool! I can't wait until my S III has Google Now.

Who knows if it ever will. Samsung has S-Voice and I don't think they'd give that app after less than a year. If you want Google Now now, you have to root your device. :rolleyes:

nickchallis92
Jul 28, 2012, 05:57 PM
Who knows if it ever will. Samsung has S-Voice and I don't think they'd give that app after less than a year. If you want Google Now now, you have to root your device. :rolleyes:

I take the point that people might be concerned about that, but I can't see that happening. it's not like s-voice has been a bit hit (and rightly so). Plus, samsung are quite pally with the android community so I don't think they'd do that.

Tbh, chances are they'll co-exist

Vegastouch
Jul 28, 2012, 06:02 PM
I can't deny Android does more because it's quite conspicuous that it does, but I like iOS more because of the apps, polish, speed, ease of use, customer support, and updates and that's that.

My point is that when people come on here saying "switched back from the GS3" and then they list reasons, you guys are quick to come here and rebutt what they said that they didn't like or w/e. "Why didn't you try this keyboard or that launcher or this widget?" The fact is the person didn't like whatever it was and it's irritating to see people that can't accept that sort of stuff.

We say that because it is obvious they didnt try any others because they say they didnt like the stock keyboard and one of the things that makes Android great is choice. And on that list there were things he didnt like so we told him how to fix it and he made a decision while not knowing about those things. He spent years with an iPhone and one week with the GS3.

Like i told that guy who started the thread, i used an iPhone for two years and when i switched, i was on and off with my iPhone for a few weeks til i finally put it down for good. Android is very different and it takes some time to get used to it and know how to work it. As you go along, you discover more things and some apps that dont exist in iTunes and some of those are actually really good. Hec it took me a while to get used to having actual home screens and seperate application screens instead of how it is on the iPhone. Now i think it is awesome.

No, you dont have notifications on the lock screen but there are apps(some are free, some are a couple bucks) to get them. So it is stock on the iPhone. Download an app for 10 seconds , tell it what to notify you on and your done.
Some people have a hard time being told to download an app when it is stock on the iPhone, yet DodgeV83 uses apps exclusively to tell us why the iPhone is better, with all his 30 camera apps which in his opinion makes his camera better than ours because of it.

So its all what works for you. You like the simplicity of the iPhone. I get that. I like being able to do more things and options. I love the external micro slot. I dont stream my Music or Movies. I have Google music and rarely use it because it takes up data. I deleted Pandora as well and id rather play it from my micro card which helps keep my cost down by using less data and only needing the 2GB instead of the 5GB.

That is kinda of a big deal for me to have that option otherwise id love the One X as well, but that was a deal breaker.
I could just load the music and movies on my internal card too but i can take out the micro card and put it in something else and it leaves more space on my internal card.

I actually dont use voice actions asside from voice to text but with Google now i would use it more often since it does other things.
There are a lot of reasons to like the iPhone too but for me the screen is too small and it just doesnt do enough for my taste and i like the things Google has added to the table and they are progressing faster.

Vegastouch
Jul 28, 2012, 06:17 PM

Its a part of JB, it will come with the update. Why would they leave one of their best upgrades, if not the best off an update? Ill just disable S Voice like i can right now when i get JB.

batting1000
Jul 28, 2012, 06:22 PM
We say that because it is obvious they didnt try any others because they say they didnt like the stock keyboard and one of the things that makes Android great is choice. And on that list there were things he didnt like so we told him how to fix it and he made a decision while not knowing about those things. He spent years with an iPhone and one week with the GS3.

No, you dont have notifications on the lock screen but there are apps(some are free, some are a couple bucks) to get them. So it is stock on the iPhone. Download an app for 10 seconds , tell it what to notify you on and your done.
Some people have a hard time being told to download an app when it is stock on the iPhone, yet DodgeV83 uses apps exclusively to tell us why the iPhone is better, with all his 30 camera apps which in his opinion makes his camera better than ours because of it.

1. Again, if it's something they don't like, you shouldn't really being trying to force them to try stuff so they can like it. No one tried to force you back to iOS when you were starting out with the GS3.

2. Again, those apps don't put the notifications on the lock screen. The apps ARE an alternate lock screen because the stock lock screen doesn't allow for such features. While I'm not defending nor disagreeing with Dodge (who has absolutely nothing to do with this conversation so I'm not sure why he was brought up), I can say just because iOS doesn't have a feature built in but DOES have said feature in the form of a 3rd party app, doesn't automatically make Android better. The fact is you can obtain the functionality with a stock device so it can be compared.

----------

Its a part of JB, it will come with the update. Why would they leave one of their best upgrades, if not the best off an update? Ill just disable S Voice like i can right now when i get JB.

Well I don't know. Samsung didn't even add the ICS folders into the ICS update for the S2 or S3 so it makes me a bit skeptical.

Vegastouch
Jul 28, 2012, 06:27 PM
1. Again, if it's something they don't like, you shouldn't really being trying to force them to try stuff so they can like it. No one tried to force you back to iOS when you were starting out with the GS3.

2. Again, those apps don't put the notifications on the lock screen. The apps ARE an alternate lock screen because the stock lock screen doesn't allow for such features. While I'm not defending nor disagreeing with Dodge (who has absolutely nothing to do with this conversation so I'm not sure why he was brought up), I can say just because iOS doesn't have a feature built in but DOES have said feature in the form of a 3rd party app, doesn't automatically make Android better. The fact is you can obtain the functionality with a stock device so it can be compared.

----------

Well I don't know. Samsung didn't even add the ICS folders into the ICS update for the S2 or S3 so it makes me a bit skeptical.

There is no way Google Now is going to get left off the update. It is a part of Android, not Samsung, and again, Samsung gave you the option to disable S-Voice on the phone as well as some other things that Samsung put on there.

Sensamic
Jul 28, 2012, 06:28 PM
Here's a perfect example. Sensamic can't accept the fact that just because HE doesn't like iOS 6 or thinks features are "too late", doesn't mean everyone dones. I don't care who you poll or who you ask about, but if you're gonna try to go around and post as though you're trying to dissuade people from using a certain platform because of your opinions and preconceived notions, you shouldn't really be here. The fact that you're saying iOS is too late is funny when the Nexus S was the first NFC Android device (every manufacturer that released an NFC device after the Nexus was too late as well, same with all the other features).

Again, the fact that you're going around talking all this nonsense is rather irritating.

Anyways...

Very funny to see you saying the SGS3 probably won't get Google now...

Very funny. Like Samsung would disable 4.1 biggest feature to upset every one of its customers.

You know what's irritating? You saying we need to root to get Google now... ugh.

IOS users are the ones who need to jailbreak to get siri. Love that much Apple? Then jailbreak to get siri because we won't need to root to get Google now.

And I'm not trying to dissuade anyone dude. Chill out. My God... I'm just stating my opinions.

You need to take a valium. If you're happy with iOS then great! I will keep saying it's outdated, but unlike you, I'm very calmed.

batting1000
Jul 28, 2012, 06:33 PM
There is no way Google Now is going to get left off the update. It is a part of Android, not Samsung, and again, Samsung gave you the option to disable S-Voice on the phone.

So were the folders.

----------

You know what's irritating? You saying we need to root to get Google now... ugh.

IOS users are the ones who need to jailbreak to get siri. Love that much Apple? Then jailbreak to get siri because we won't need to root to get Google now.

1. Ok, tell me how to get Google Now on a Droid Razr without rooting.

2. It's all marketing. It doesn't bother me because I've got a 4S.

----------

And I'm not trying to dissuade anyone dude. Chill out. My God... I'm just stating my opinions.

You need to take a valium. If you're happy with iOS then great! I will keep saying it's outdated, but unlike you, I'm very calmed.

Lol ok, go ahead.

Sensamic
Jul 28, 2012, 06:33 PM
So were the folders.

What? Excuse me?

Just realized you're right. I don't have folders on my SGS3.........

Samsung has their own way of doing folders, which is part of their touchwiz customization. We do have folders!

Now your just making things up and it's completely embarrassing. Like everyone else says:

You make up excuses for everything.

How sad to say we don't have folders. Unbelievable...

batting1000
Jul 28, 2012, 06:36 PM
What? Excuse me?

Just realized you're right. I don't have folders on my SGS3.........

Samsung had their own way of doing folders, which is part of their touchwiz customization. We do have folders!

Now your just making things up and it's completely embarrassing. Looks everyone else says:

You make up excuses for everything.

How sad to say we don't have folders. Unbelievable...

Ok then. Show me how to make a folder on the Galaxy S3 launcher by dragging one icon over the other like stock ICS. Man, you just assume too much. How could ANYONE possibly deny the that Touchwiz has folders?

jeffe
Jul 28, 2012, 06:39 PM
Ok then. Show me how to make a folder on the Galaxy S3 launcher by dragging one icon over the other like stock ICS. Man, you just assume too much. How could ANYONE possibly deny the that Touchwiz has folders?

What is the point of this conversation again?

mcman77
Jul 28, 2012, 06:44 PM
You know what happened the other day? Google Now somehow worked out the location of my work and I have never been prompted for it - It was accurate... actually a little creepy :D

It also worked out that I was on the bus i get to that work address and provided me with an ETA mid journey with no input from myself.

I thought this feature was only for the US?

Does it also prompt public transport info? Like bus arrivals etc.

And yes it is creepy!! I thought I was the only one.

Sensamic
Jul 28, 2012, 06:46 PM

I'll do something better for you.

Something touchwiz has that stock Android doesn't. When I create a folder, inside it there's an icon with a + that lets you select multiple apps to move them all at once inside the folder, kind of like multi icon mover in cydia.

Now that's a really really useful feature touchwiz has that Android does not (or at least that I know of).

This is just another of the many examples iOS could learn from. I have like 200 apps in iTunes and I remember the pain of moving the apps to folders one by one. Even in iTunes it has to be one by one.

Tell me something. Shouldn't a feature like this had been added to iOS like a long time ago? We're already on iOS 6.

This kind of stupid little details, along with 12 app limitation per folder, is irritating.

And if you want to create folders in the stock Android way, nova launcher and apex launcher allow this.

That's Android: if you want to create folders like the stock way you can.

batting1000
Jul 28, 2012, 06:47 PM
What is the point of this conversation again?

I was pointing out how Samsung left out the new Android 4.0 folders feature in their Touchwiz skin on ICS devices as Vegastouch had asked how Samsung could leave out a major feature in JB like Google Now. (The folders weren't major but still one of the new / talked about features in ICS. Of course Touchwiz has folders, I'm not denying that. I was talking about the how Samsung did not add the ICS folders as in dragging and dropping an icon over another to create one like iOS.) Sensamic seems to think I'm denying that the GS# has folders.

"New home screen folders offer a new way for you to group your apps and shortcuts logically, just by dragging one onto another." (http://www.android.com/about/ice-cream-sandwich/)

jeffe
Jul 28, 2012, 06:52 PM
I was pointing out how Samsung left out the new Android 4.0 folders feature in their Touchwiz skin on ICS devices as Vegastouch had asked how Samsung could leave out a major feature in JB like Google Now. (The folders weren't major but still one of the new / talked about features in ICS. Of course Touchwiz has folders, I'm not denying that. I was talking about the how Samsung did not add the ICS folders as in dragging and dropping an icon over another to create one like iOS.)

"New home screen folders offer a new way for you to group your apps and shortcuts logically, just by dragging one onto another." (http://www.android.com/about/ice-cream-sandwich/)

Oh well Touchwiz is more than just a skin. It is a replacement launcher and the launcher controls the behavior of the homescreen and how folders behave on them.

Does it matter if they implemented folders differently than the AOSP launcher?

Vegastouch
Jul 28, 2012, 06:54 PM

Getting back to this:

1. I didnt try to force anything on him. I was just letting him know there are other options. When you are with a device for years and you have so many options on something else, maybe you dont know you have them when you say you didnt like the stock keyboard.

2. Yes they do...even if they arent the stock lockscreen. It is a lockscreen with notifications so who cares if they arent the stock lockscreen if they do what you want them to? You can use one of their lockscreen backgrounds or use one of your own.
I havent tried them so i really dont know what all your options are...and neither do you.
As for Dodge, i brought him up for the reason i stated in the last post. Thought the example was pretty clear and i gave the other guy an option to obtain something that would make it better. Its ok for Dodge but not for me or anybody else?

Sensamic
Jul 28, 2012, 06:57 PM
I was pointing out how Samsung left out the new Android 4.0 folders feature in their Touchwiz skin on ICS devices as Vegastouch had asked how Samsung could leave out a major feature in JB like Google Now. (The folders weren't major but still one of the new / talked about features in ICS. Of course Touchwiz has folders, I'm not denying that. I was talking about the how Samsung did not add the ICS folders as in dragging and dropping an icon over another to create one like iOS.) Sensamic seems to think I'm denying that the GS# has folders.

So you have the 4S and you don't care we iPhone 4 owners didn't get siri after only one year...

Let's do a recap again, because I think it's worth it:

You say we may need to root to get Google now, but the only time something like that has happened to me was having the iPhone 4 and needing to jailbreak to get siri.

How ironic, isn't it?

The very same thing you bash about Samsung is what Apple just did a mere 10 months ago, but hey, I guess it's justified, because like you said: it was due to marketing.

Someone should come and see this...

einmusiker
Jul 28, 2012, 07:05 PM

I'm not surprised your banned

Vegastouch
Jul 28, 2012, 07:09 PM

I created a folder and drug those apps in it.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a369/Boltjolt/Screenshot_2012-07-28-17-07-07.png

Click folder, there ya go.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a369/Boltjolt/Screenshot_2012-07-28-17-07-15.png

OR

Drag and stack

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a369/Boltjolt/Screenshot_2012-07-28-17-16-02.png

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a369/Boltjolt/Screenshot_2012-07-28-17-16-06.png

jeffe
Jul 28, 2012, 07:14 PM
yay

Vegastouch
Jul 28, 2012, 07:22 PM
Oh well Touchwiz is more than just a skin. It is a replacement launcher and the launcher controls the behavior of the homescreen and how folders behave on them.

Does it matter if they implemented folders differently than the AOSP launcher?
Agree

batting1000
Jul 28, 2012, 07:24 PM
I created a folder and drug those apps in it.

Image (http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a369/Boltjolt/Screenshot_2012-07-28-17-07-07.png)

Click app, there ya go.

Image (http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a369/Boltjolt/Screenshot_2012-07-28-17-07-15.png)

OR

Drag and stack

Image (http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a369/Boltjolt/Screenshot_2012-07-28-17-16-02.png)

Image (http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a369/Boltjolt/Screenshot_2012-07-28-17-16-06.png)

I said make the folder by dragging and dropping, not by hitting menu to make the folder. It's not really a big deal but I was just trying to make a point.

jeffe
Jul 28, 2012, 07:26 PM
we should go back to discussing google now.

Vegastouch
Jul 28, 2012, 07:26 PM
I said make the folder by dragging and dropping, not by hitting menu to make the folder. It's not really a big deal but I was just trying to make a point.

I did, look again. I was late getting it there.

In anycase, does it matter how i got the folders? They are there and i have more than one way to do it. I also have about 4 different ways to make them look on the screen

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a369/Boltjolt/Screenshot_2012-07-28-17-28-10.png

Sensamic
Jul 28, 2012, 07:35 PM

Please stop. Please.

This is ridiculous.

Why again are you in the Android sub forum?

It's getting really really tiresome to hear you criticise every single little aspect of the Android OS. Just let it go.

Don't understand why you're still here if you don't like Android.

I like iOS and Android, and can make good and bad points of both. You just make good points of iOS and bad of Android.

Let's stop it right here or this could take forever. Criticizing how folders are made on SGS3 is the ultimate stupidity.

batting1000
Jul 28, 2012, 08:31 PM
I did, look again. I was late getting it there.

In anycase, does it matter how i got the folders? They are there and i have more than one way to do it. I also have about 4 different ways to make them look on the screen

Image (http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a369/Boltjolt/Screenshot_2012-07-28-17-28-10.png)

You used Apex launcher as a workaround... :rolleyes:

Please stop. Please.

This is ridiculous.

Why again are you in the Android sub forum?

It's getting really really tiresome to hear you criticise every single little aspect of the Android OS. Just let it go.

Don't understand why you're still here if you don't like Android.

I like iOS and Android, and can make good and bad points of both. You just make good points of iOS and bad of Android.

Let's stop it right here or this could take forever. Criticizing how folders are made on SGS3 is the ultimately stupidity.

I'm here because I appreciate both OS's. When there are things I like or don't like, I have the freedom to express that.

jeffe
Jul 28, 2012, 08:46 PM

I'm here because I appreciate both OS's. When there are things I like or don't like, I have the freedom to express that.

Hey hey - I like some of your commentary. Whenever someone talks about a feature in Android you like to tell us how you like to do that same thing in IOS. I'm learning a whole lot. Good stuff!

Mac.World
Jul 28, 2012, 10:07 PM

I don't understand why you would put any limitations on an Android user? Is this to try and make your point that iOS is somehow better? The reason I got an S3 was so I could take advantage of all the customizable features. I bought a Samsung, but I don't like Touchwiz, so I changed it and now use Nova Launcher. If I buy an iPhone and don't like how iOS does something, oh well. Tough luck. I fail to see how an OS that limits everything you do is somehow better than one that does not?

Vegastouch
Jul 28, 2012, 10:09 PM

Workaround? Its not a workaround. That is a feature of ICS. The GS3 isnt a stock Android UI and Touchwiz uses their own way of using the folders and Apex lets you do it the stock Android way.
It is there so i dont know why you are disregarding that. Why does it matter how you make the folders? The end result is you can and your point is a fail.

batting1000
Jul 28, 2012, 10:14 PM
I don't understand why you would put any limitations on an Android user? Is this to try and make your point that iOS is somehow better? The reason I got an S3 was so I could take advantage of all the customizable features. I bought a Samsung, but I don't like Touchwiz, so I changed it and now use Nova Launcher. If I buy an iPhone and don't like how iOS does something, oh well. Tough luck. I fail to see how an OS that limits everything you do is somehow better than one that does not?

Limits, shlimits. It still works great for me.

Workaround? Its not a workaround. That is a feature of ICS. The GS3 isnt a stock Android UI and Touchwiz uses their own way of using the folders and Apex lets you do it the stock Android way.
It is there so i dont know why you are disregarding that. Why does it matter how you make the folders? The end result is you can and your point is a fail.

But the point was I wasn't referring to a 3rd party launcher, I was referring to the launcher it comes with out of the box.

ChazUK
Jul 28, 2012, 10:17 PM
I'm not sure whey there is a panic about the inclusion or exclusion of Google Now on Touchwiz just yet. Google have a powerful distribution system in the Play store.

For example, when my Nexus One got voice actions, it was added via a firmware update. But what about all of the phones with customised builds of Android that didn't get voice actions via firmware?

Easy. Google just issued it via the then Android Market and everyone (on 2.1 I believe) got it.

The same can be said for stock apps like Google Play Music. Not preinstalled on the S3 but is just a simple download away in the Play store.

Let's wait and see what happens eh?:p

Vegastouch
Jul 28, 2012, 10:31 PM

But the point was I wasn't referring to a 3rd party launcher, I was referring to the launcher it comes with out of the box.

No, you said "Samsung left out the new Android 4.0 folders feature in their Touchwiz skin". I showed you it wasnt. It works on Touchwiz...which is out of the box. It just doesnt let you stack them. Apex does. In fact, Apex gives you 4 ways to use them and it is just letting you use the Android 4.0 feature on their launcher.

Mac.World
Jul 28, 2012, 10:37 PM

well, as long as the world revolves around you, all is good then. http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/images/smilies/thumbdown.gif

They have road signs for you in Italy called 'senso unico'

batting1000
Jul 28, 2012, 10:44 PM
well, as long as the world revolves around you, all is good then. Image (http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/images/smilies/thumbdown.gif)

They have road signs for you in Italy called 'senso unico'

I wasn't trying to be self centered with that post. I was just trying to say how I for one don't care about limits and that iOS still works best for me even with so called limits. Is that OK with you because I don't want you to be mad for, y'know, maybe liking something you don't.

SlCKB0Y
Jul 28, 2012, 11:06 PM
Does it also prompt public transport info? Like bus arrivals etc.

The notifications about public transport I haven't tested yet, I just enabled them in Google Now settings as they were off by default.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-07-25/google-maps-boost-to-sydney-public-transport/4154152?section=nsw

The above link is a pretty good indicator that if this feature is not yet available it might soon be available in Sydney, Australia soon (where I live). That only mentions Google Maps but I'd hope it would tie into Now as well...

jeffe
Jul 28, 2012, 11:14 PM

Ok so your entire point that you are trying to make is that you can't drag an icon to create a folder using the touchwiz launcher?

NbinHD
Jul 28, 2012, 11:20 PM

Just out of curiosity what device are you using? Galaxy Nexus?

RMXO
Jul 28, 2012, 11:43 PM
Google Now (GN) is so bad it kept showing me the score of my team losing when I accessed GN. It was like it was rubbing it in to me, guess GN isn't a fan of my baseball team. ;)

joshwithachance
Jul 29, 2012, 10:45 AM

Well when there's a stable release of CyanogenMod 10 I may have to then lol.

RMXO
Jul 29, 2012, 12:16 PM
Who knows if it ever will. Samsung has S-Voice and I don't think they'd give that app after less than a year. If you want Google Now now, you have to root your device.

At least, we are given the choice to install any ROM we want compared to being stuck with a boring UI that is getting old, but to each their own.

Well when there's a stable release of CyanogenMod 10 I may have to then lol.

I'm using a stable alpha release of CM10 called ParanoidAndroid 1.9.1 Alpha. Able to use it as my daily driver.

The iGentleman
Jul 29, 2012, 01:18 PM
Just out of curiosity what device are you using? Galaxy Nexus?

I was using one before, but now I'm on the GS3 (running CM10).

Vegastouch
Jul 29, 2012, 01:27 PM
I was using one before, but now I'm on the GS3 (running CM10).

So what exactly isnt working well on CM10? I know it is in alpha and already doing well. Just wonderng what the bugs are right now. I always wait till it is pretty stable. Is GPS working?

RMXO
Jul 29, 2012, 01:32 PM
So what exactly isnt working well on CM10? I know it is in alpha and already doing well. Just wonderng what the bugs are right now. I always wait till it is pretty stable. Is GPS working?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1779578

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1779426

You can follow development in those threads. CM10 Preview # 10 was just released today.

batting1000
Jul 29, 2012, 03:30 PM
At least, we are given the choice to install any ROM we want compared to being stuck with a boring UI that is getting old, but to each their own.

I fail to see how it's getting old.

--

It's funny because when I say something bad about Android I'm a monster and I'm "only making excuses", but when you guys say "iOS is getting boring and stale", it's no big deal.

skidbubble
Jul 29, 2012, 05:10 PM

+1

Same old tired, stale, boring grid of square icons going on 6 years now. Enough already.

nuckinfutz
Jul 29, 2012, 05:13 PM
Ah the wheel

Same old boring design for 4 centuries. Enough already

http://www.tinbarnstar.com/files/1887998/uploaded/36_inch_by_2_inch_wood_western_wagon_wheel_large_cannon_hub.jpg

The iGentleman
Jul 29, 2012, 05:35 PM

Honestly, there isn't any particular bug that I think of that I've run into. I haven't experienced any real problems besides a couple minor things. I had Google Goggles not work once but that's all I can really think of right now. I've been using cm10 as my daily driver, and am so comfortable with it that I went ahead and sold my GNex. Though it's in alpha, this is probably the best and most stable alpha build I've ever used.

skidbubble
Jul 29, 2012, 05:48 PM
Ah the wheel

Image (http://www.tinbarnstar.com/files/1887998/uploaded/36_inch_by_2_inch_wood_western_wagon_wheel_large_cannon_hub.jpg)

If you think today's wheel remains unchanged from when it was introduced, you need to think again. Nice try.

batting1000
Jul 29, 2012, 05:50 PM
If you think today's wheel remains unchanged from when it was introduced, you need to think again. Nice try.

Looks the same. It's just fancier these days.

Mac.World
Jul 29, 2012, 05:52 PM
I fail to see how it's getting old.

--

It's funny because when I say something bad about Android I'm a monster and I'm "only making excuses", but when you guys say "iOS is getting boring and stale", it's no big deal.

I think people were expecting a new look to iOS at some point around iOS4. Def by iOS6. Instead, we have seen the exact same 4x4 (now 4x5) grid of icons, same shape, same look, same everything.

Here is the original iPhone from the first keynote showing iOS1.
http://www.technobuffalo.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/iphone1stgen.gif

Here is the iPhone 4S, 5 years later, looking and feeling the exact same. You could easily mistake one for the other (except the 4S has a much higher pixel density).
http://r.phonedog.com/shared/images/items/9568-main-large-apple-iphone-4s-32gb-black.jpg

I just would have thought we would have seen something better looking by now, especially from a company like Apple.

tekno
Jul 29, 2012, 05:53 PM
+1

Same old tired, stale, boring grid of square icons going on 6 years now. Enough already.

Yes yes yes, +1 etc etc.

People at Apple must use iPhones - why aren't they bored out of their mind of looking at all those tiles?

batting1000
Jul 29, 2012, 05:54 PM
I think people were expecting a new look to iOS at some point around iOS4. Def by iOS6. Instead, we have seen the exact same 4x4 (now 4x5) grid of icons, same shape, same look, same everything.

Here is the original iPhone from the first keynote showing iOS1.
Image (http://www.technobuffalo.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/iphone1stgen.gif)

Here is the iPhone 4S, 5 years later, looking and feeling the exact same. You could easily mistake one for the other (except the 4S has a much higher pixel density).
Image (http://r.phonedog.com/shared/images/items/9568-main-large-apple-iphone-4s-32gb-black.jpg)

I just would have thought we would have seen something better looking by now, especially from a company like Apple.

Why fix something that isn't broken?

----------

Yes yes yes, +1 etc etc.

People at Apple must use iPhones - why aren't they bored out of their mind of looking at all those tiles?

They work at Apple because they want to and they like their products, they aren't working there against their own will.

NT1440
Jul 29, 2012, 05:55 PM

So its the old, "I don't know how to improve it, but I'm getting tired of the same look" argument.

So on one side of the fence, Apple can't please the form over function crowd, and on the other they can't please the function over form crowd.

I wonder how big companies dont just end up with a healthy disdain for their customers. ;):rolleyes:

Vegastouch
Jul 29, 2012, 06:01 PM
Ah the wheel

Image (http://www.tinbarnstar.com/files/1887998/uploaded/36_inch_by_2_inch_wood_western_wagon_wheel_large_cannon_hub.jpg)

Yep, thats what ALL wheels look like these days...lol

skidbubble
Jul 29, 2012, 06:02 PM

Because over the course of a products lifetime things evolve, that's why. Do you think a 2013 Corvette looks the same as a 1969 Corvette? No. Because time marches on. Which is why a 2013 iPhone should not look like a 2007 iPhone.

NT1440
Jul 29, 2012, 06:04 PM
Yep, thats what ALL wheels look like these days...lol

The point is that the design concept is exactly the same as it has been, regardless of the window dressing. There is no way you can compare that wheel and an ox cart wheel and consider them two different ideas.

Vegastouch
Jul 29, 2012, 06:19 PM

----------

They work at Apple because they want to and they like their products, they aren't working there against their own will.

So what your saying is everyone working for Toyota, Ford or Honda all drive those cars?

That isnt close to being true. I bet not everyone has an iPhone there either...or a Mac.
I worked on Apples campus for year and its a nice place. I dont know how much they make but people working at Circle K and Walmart are there voluntarily as well.

----------

The point is that the design concept is exactly the same as it has been, regardless of the window dressing. There is no way you can compare that wheel and an ox cart wheel and consider them two different ideas.

The only thing the same about that wheel and the other one someone posted is that they are both round. The modern wheel has evolved so much more and are better. The round shape of the wheel has been taken to a whole different level. I mean way beyond what is was then. So yes, there is a difference.

NT1440
Jul 29, 2012, 06:24 PM
So what your saying is everyone working for Toyota, Ford or Honda all drive those cars?

That isnt close to being true. I bet not everyone has an iPhone there either...or a Mac.
I worked on Apples campus for year and its a nice place. I dont know how much they make but people working at Circle K and Walmart are there voluntarily as well.

----------

The only thing the same about that wheel and the other one someone posted is that they are both round. The modern wheel has evolved so much more and are better. The round shape of the wheel has been taken to a whole different level. I mean way beyond what is was then. So yes, there is a difference.

Its a continually curved surface that is by design incredibly stable, dispersing its load along various weight bearing spokes. Any alterations in that a purely spec changes, not design change.

Your talking about things that don't change the fact that they are both wheels.

Vegastouch
Jul 29, 2012, 06:30 PM
Its a continually curved surface that is by design incredibly stable, dispersing its load along various weight bearing spokes. Any alterations in that a purely spec changes, not design change.

So you would put those on your car? And if no, why not?

Mac.World
Jul 29, 2012, 06:33 PM

Actually, the 16th century wheel pictured above and one found on a modern Le Mans style bicycle, superbike motorcycle or a corvette have one similarity. They are round. A circle. If you want to transport something along the ground, this is the only efficient design. You are limited to this. But everything else is completely different, from look, material, weight, axel connection, etc...

Meanwhile, icons and software are not limited to one shape, color, look, etc... Big difference.

NT1440
Jul 29, 2012, 06:35 PM
So you would put those on your car? And if no, why not?

That wasn't the question. Is an ox cart wheel a wheel? yes. Is a performance sports car wheel a wheel? yes. Different applications, but they are both wheels.

Your question has nothing to do with my point. :confused:

skidbubble
Jul 29, 2012, 06:35 PM

I beg to differ.

NT1440
Jul 29, 2012, 06:38 PM
I beg to differ.

That doesn't have a continuous round surface..... (definitely cool though)

Anyone ever seen a tweel? That is a radical take on one, but at the end of the day it is a wheel.

Wheel: a circular object that revolves on an axle and is fixed below a vehicle or other object to enable it to move easily over the ground.

fox10078
Jul 29, 2012, 06:41 PM
Jesus this thread is ridiculous. I think fans on boths sides of the issue need a time out.

skidbubble
Jul 29, 2012, 06:46 PM
That doesn't have a continuous round surface..... (definitely cool though)

I agree with you. The other guy claimed it was "continually curved" and I posted two pics showing otherwise.

Wheel: a circular object that revolves on an axle and is fixed below a vehicle or other object to enable it to move easily over the ground.

So in the course of this thread, the definition changed from "continually curved round surface" to just "circular object". Interesting.

To the OP: I apologize for the off-topic thread hi-jack.

batting1000
Jul 29, 2012, 06:48 PM

Not sure where I said they did...

NT1440
Jul 29, 2012, 06:59 PM
I agree with you. The other guy claimed it was "continually curved" and I posted two pics showing otherwise.

So in the course of this thread, the definition changed from "continually curved round surface" to just "circular object". Interesting.

To the OP: I apologize for the off-topic thread hi-jack.

:p

I was "the other guy". I wouldn't call that a wheel, though it is meant to serve the same purpose.

My definition was "continually curved round surface", the second was me being lazy and just directly copying from mountain lion's dictionary.

In regards to the thread hi-jacking, your rebellion has been duly noted and reported to the proper authorities, expect a knock at your door shortly ;)

Vegastouch
Jul 29, 2012, 07:58 PM
Not sure where I said they did...

No, you didnt but you did say they worked there because they liked their products and they just want to work there which could be true, could not be true. Maybe they do want to work there but i dont know why you would say that is a fact. Maybe they do like their products, maybe not. You dont know how they feel. It is a job.

If Microsoft offered me a better deal to work for them, id leave Apple. In anycase, i would tend to disagree with your notion. I did work at the Apple campus for a year some time ago and it is no different than any other job. The food is pretty good there though :D

Rennir
Jul 29, 2012, 08:03 PM
The reason that Apple hasn't done a re-design is because they haven't innovated enough to warrant a redesign--either of the phone or of the UI. Plain and simple.

RMXO
Jul 29, 2012, 08:42 PM
The reason that Apple hasn't done a re-design is because they haven't innovated enough to warrant a redesign--either of the phone or of the UI. Plain and simple.

Or too busy spending resources suing everyone. True story. :D

batting1000
Jul 29, 2012, 08:48 PM
No, you didnt but you did say they worked there because they liked their products and they just want to work there which could be true, could not be true. Maybe they do want to work there but i dont know why you would say that is a fact. Maybe they do like their products, maybe not. You dont know how they feel. It is a job.

Yeah, but just because they like their products doesn't mean they own one (which is why I wasn't implying they actually own an Apple product), although it's likely because of the discounts employees get.

While it's always possible they don't like Apple's products, it's hard to be passionate about helping customers with them and selling Apple products when you aren't thrilled about them, even though it's a job. Also, I think working at a retail store is slightly different than working at the Campus.

----------

Or too busy spending resources suing everyone. True story. :D

Apple isn't the only company that sues other companies, they're just more talking about because of how popular they are. I'm pretty sure if someone created something you already patented, you'd be suing them too.

Mac.World
Jul 29, 2012, 09:24 PM
Yeah, but just because they like their products doesn't mean they own one (which is why I wasn't implying they actually own an Apple product), although it's likely because of the discounts employees get.

While it's always possible they don't like Apple's products, it's hard to be passionate about helping customers with them and selling Apple products when you aren't thrilled about them, even though it's a job. Also, I think working at a retail store is slightly different than working at the Campus.

Hell, if I could work on the campus, I would in a heartbeat! Having been to 1 Infinite Loop, it reminds me of a secret military campus with swipe cards and security guards. I wouldn't use an iphone though, because I prefer my S3. When it comes to computers and tablets though, I use and prefer Mac/iPad.

But just because I use a Samsung phone, I am still passionate about Apple products. In fact, I cringe every time I go into a Mac Superstore and hear what these Employees tell their customers! I hate when people are given bad info about Apple products, especially in a store dedicated to Apple!

nuckinfutz
Jul 29, 2012, 09:41 PM

LOL

You proved my point. Spokes and a center whole for the Axle. The wheel hasn't changed because it "works"

The point being it's hard to improve on the wheel because it's time tested. The iPhone UI is time tested. There really are few ways to make it more intuitive. Apple cannot help that people get bored and need more blinking lights and animations to distract them from their boring lives.

Vegastouch
Jul 29, 2012, 09:46 PM

Selling products at their campus isnt what they do there. There are no customers there to buy products. At least it wasnt like that when i was there.
The campus is where development happens. It is the brains of the company where they have meetings, deadlines, many offices and cubicles like any other office workplace. They did have some products that were displayed in a small room to view. Sort of like showing them off to whoever might want to come by and see them such as a companie getting involved with Apple but it definitely isnt a place where the public comes to buy them.

Thats why they have stores. And of course, i am talking some years ago but i doubt what they do at their campus has changed to a public storefest. They have many products and their employees have a hand in different ones in some capacity. Back then they used to use Motorola chips for their CPU's and the iPhone didnt exist. Neither did the iPod for that matter. Probably were busy in developing them since the iPod came out in 2001.

batting1000
Jul 29, 2012, 10:41 PM
Selling products at their campus isnt what they do there. There are no customers there to buy products. At least it wasnt like that when i was there.
The campus is where development happens. It is the brains of the company where they have meetings, deadlines, many offices and cubicles like any other office workplace. They did have some products that were displayed in a small room to view. Sort of like showing them off to whoever might want to come by and see them such as a companie getting involved with Apple but it definitely isnt a place where the public comes to buy them.

Thats why they have stores. And of course, i am talking some years ago but i doubt what they do at their campus has changed to a public storefest. They have many products and their employees have a hand in different ones in some capacity. Back then they used to use Motorola chips for their CPU's and the iPhone didnt exist. Neither did the iPod for that matter. Probably were busy in developing them since the iPod came out in 2001.

Pretty sure I already knew that??? Lol

Dontazemebro
Jul 30, 2012, 12:40 PM

Like i told that guy who started the thread, i used an iPhone for two years and when i switched, i was on and off with my iPhone for a few weeks til i finally put it down for good. Android is very different and it takes some time to get used to it and know how to work it. As you go along, you discover more things and some apps that dont exist in iTunes and some of those are actually really good. Hec it took me a while to get used to having actual home screens and seperate application screens instead of how it is on the iPhone. Now i think it is awesome.

So its all what works for you. You like the simplicity of the iPhone. I get that. I like being able to do more things and options. I love the external micro slot. I dont stream my Music or Movies. I have Google music and rarely use it because it takes up data. I deleted Pandora as well and id rather play it from my micro card which helps keep my cost down by using less data and only needing the 2GB instead of the 5GB.

That is kinda of a big deal for me to have that option otherwise id love the One X as well, but that was a deal breaker.
I could just load the music and movies on my internal card too but i can take out the micro card and put it in something else and it leaves more space on my internal card.

I actually dont use voice actions asside from voice to text but with Google now i would use it more often since it does other things.
There are a lot of reasons to like the iPhone too but for me the screen is too small and it just doesnt do enough for my taste and i like the things Google has added to the table and they are progressing faster.

The One X has kernel source now so it's only a matter of time before USB otg is available.

I thought about waiting for the SG3 but IMO, the one X is a better all around device. Never seen a screen this gorgeous before .... ever.

Sensamic
Jul 30, 2012, 02:30 PM
Oh no...

MuscleNerd, one of the biggest iPhone hackers has just bought an Android phone too:

Excited about my very first Android phone :) http://t.co/ijy8OgHu http://t.co/HkcETBeD -- MuscleNerd (@MuscleNerd)

Posted yesterday.

Even iOS hackers are starting to get tired of iOS? :D:D

http://www.businessinsider.com/if-the-iphone-5-really-looks-like-this-apple-may-be-screwed-2012-7

Great article. Says each iPhone is less of an upgrade than before. Also that most reviews confirm the SGS3 is better than the iPhone, and that even Apple fans will be disappointed with the new iPhone if it has the same design that the last 3 years plus only a taller screen.

If there are so so many critics this time it's because...

LIVEFRMNYC
Jul 30, 2012, 04:04 PM
Oh no...

MuscleNerd, one of the biggest iPhone hackers has just bought an Android phone too:

Excited about my very first Android phone :) http://t.co/ijy8OgHu http://t.co/HkcETBeD -- MuscleNerd (@MuscleNerd)

Posted yesterday.

http://www.businessinsider.com/if-the-iphone-5-really-looks-like-this-apple-may-be-screwed-2012-7

Great article. Says each iPhone is less of an upgrade than before. Also that most reviews confirm the SGS3 is better than the iPhone, and that even Apple fans will be disappointed with the new iPhone if it has the same design that the last 3 years plus only a taller screen.

Good for MuscleNerd and the many others who are giving Android a try. What does this have to do with the millions of users who still enjoy iOS/iPhone? Are we playing .... Monkey see Monkey do?

Nand
Jul 30, 2012, 06:34 PM
Oh no...

Posted yesterday.

I don't think he buy the phone.. http://twitpic.com/acvaby

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2012/07/26/a-phone-network-just-for-hackers/

"It’s just part of an extremely elaborate party invitation for attendees at the annual DefCon hacking convention"

""The 650 invitations are actual cellphones. And they work only on a private, hacker-built mobile phone network housed inside a van.

The lucky invitees will get a brand-new HTC phone in snappily designed Ninja-Tel packaging. There’s even a custom-printed Ninja-Tel SIM card. Invitees will get to choose their own phone numbers and can talk or text with other people on the Ninja-Tel network; address books are synced across devices and updated when new people sign up.

The phones can’t tie to regular cellular networks, and the Ninja-Tel network won’t accept regular phones. (Or at least that’s the case initially; it’s probably not wise to use the word “can’t” when you’re talking about a convention hall with thousands of hackers in it.)""

Vegastouch
Jul 30, 2012, 10:59 PM
Oh no...

Posted yesterday.

And thats the Android he went with for his first one? :confused:

batting1000
Jul 31, 2012, 09:50 AM
And thats the Android he went with for his first one? :confused:

I think it was given to him for free to use the Ninja network thing for hackers.

Wrathwitch
Jul 31, 2012, 01:56 PM
you used apex launcher as a workaround... :rolleyes:

I'm here because i appreciate both os's. When there are things i like or don't like, i have the freedom to express that.

limits, shlimits. It still works great for me.

But the point was i wasn't referring to a 3rd party launcher, i was referring to the launcher it comes with out of the box.

i wasn't trying to be self centered with that post. I was just trying to say how i for one don't care about limits and that ios still works best for me even with so called limits. Is that ok with you because i don't want you to be mad for, y'know, maybe liking something you don't.

i fail to see how it's getting old.

--

it's funny because when i say something bad about android i'm a monster and i'm "only making excuses", but when you guys say "ios is getting boring and stale", it's no big deal.

why fix something that isn't broken?

----------

they work at apple because they want to and they like their products, they aren't working there against their own will.

yeah, but just because they like their products doesn't mean they own one (which is why i wasn't implying they actually own an apple product), although it's likely because of the discounts employees get.

While it's always possible they don't like apple's products, it's hard to be passionate about helping customers with them and selling apple products when you aren't thrilled about them, even though it's a job. Also, i think working at a retail store is slightly different than working at the campus.

----------

apple isn't the only company that sues other companies, they're just more talking about because of how popular they are. I'm pretty sure if someone created something you already patented, you'd be suing them too.

etc etc etc

Wrathwitch
Jul 31, 2012, 01:57 PM
PS for what it is worth I am looking forward to trying that out, but still creeped out that my phone may be learning my movements!!

batting1000
Jul 31, 2012, 03:10 PM
etc etc etc

Thanks. :)

sakau2007
Jul 31, 2012, 03:42 PM
really hope this kind of thing works in iOS 6. there's no reason it shouldn't... apple just needs to integrate it all. they usually do it so well. it will be interesting to see if reminders, and the waze data from their maps app can function like this.

i have my doubts it will. at least initially.

point google.