Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Richiehd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2012
On Lion, it would never be hot nor would the fan run under such a light workload. Right now, all I have open is this tab to write this post and my fans are running at 4000. I used to be running at 2000 with a cool laptop under the same scenario before the update.

Is this happening to anyone else?

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Happening to me as well on my 2010 11" Air. With my regular workload under Lion, it would always be between 2,000 and 2,500, but now it's running at 4,000 to 6,000. Very annoying to say the least. I've tried resetting the PRAM and SMC to no avail. ML is great, but it has turned my Air into a noisy little machine. Obviously this is a software issue and I hope Apple will address it soon.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I've tried resetting the PRAM and SMC to no avail.
PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with fan issues. Resetting it will not help. Only resetting the SMC addresses such issues, and then only if the fans are spinning up without increased heat.

On Lion, it would never be hot nor would the fan run under such a light workload. Right now, all I have open is this tab to write this post and my fans are running at 4000. I used to be running at 2000 with a cool laptop under the same scenario before the update.

Is this happening to anyone else?
  1. Launch Activity Monitor
  2. Change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes"
  3. Click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top).
  4. Click on the System Memory tab at the bottom.
  5. Take a screen shot of the entire Activity Monitor window, then scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot
  6. Post your screenshots.

Last edited:

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
when I first did the update I had the same problem, clean install fixed it. Not sure if there is any other solution though.

redlob

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2007
Same here. Very annoying. Before ML I sometimes wondered if my MBA actually HAD fans, but since ML they come on very regularly :mad:

Hopefully an update will fix this.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Are you sure it just isn't re-running tasks like Spotlight or Time Machine backups now that a lot of data has been written to the drive? So far I haven't noticed anything unusual.

redlob

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2007
Nope, spotlight and time machine are long finished. Even on Lion, spotlight and time machine backups would not spin up the fans.

I just did some maintenance on my iPhoto library and the fans almost turned on immediately. With ML the MBA is definitely getting hotter with CPU intensive tasks than on Lion.

With Lion I could really stress the CPU and the machine might get a little hot but stayed quiet.

jediistar

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
I have to jump in here as well and say the same thing is happening on my 13" MBA Air, mid-2011 and it's both random and completely annoying. I can't pinpoint exactly when it happens, as I have the same work pattern day to day with Safari, Sparrow, Twitter and TextEdit open each day, every day. Now, my fan has a mind of its own.

redlob

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2007
Did you upgrade or clean install? I upgraded because a clean install is too much of a hassle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.