Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andymac2210

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
The safari 6 web inspector is very un-apple like, it's over complicated and frankly an eyesore, not to mention more difficult to use.

Does anyone know how to get the old web inspector back for Safari 6?

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Wow I hadn't noticed it as I use Chrome but it's really bad. Why did they change it to that? It looks uglier and is harder to use. The previous one (which is also the one Chrome currently has) is SO much better.

andymac2210

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
Wow I hadn't noticed it as I use Chrome but it's really bad. Why did they change it to that? It looks uglier and is harder to use. The previous one (which is also the one Chrome currently has) is SO much better.

Yup, and I can't find any option to revert it.

Which is annoying because I don't really like chromes UI.

duydangle

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2008
I really don't like the Web Inspector of new Safari. Especially the background color of the sidebar: Grey. The old inspector with white background color is easy to look.

swahnet

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
I use Element inspector a lot in CSS styling. I really miss page numbers of specific styles and especially element's inherited styles. I wonder why has Apple started to remove useful features. Now Safari 6 is totally useless for me and it forces me to switch to Chrome.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
I use Element inspector a lot in CSS styling. I really miss page numbers of specific styles and especially element's inherited styles.

Agreed. The "history" of overridden styles and source css files in the "Computed Styles" section was incredibly useful. What was going through their heads when they removed that?

Duh.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
There are a few nice things, but for the most part the new Web Inspector is total crap.

I like being able to just double-click and change the CSS. That's the extent of what I like. Even that is flakey - it's very picky about just where you point when you click, and it's tiny, tiny, tiny!

First of all, I can't see those tiny little letters and icons. Their developers must all be 19 years old. I don't need the Large Print Edition - just normal size. But they should have some consideration for developers who do need the Large Print Edition, as well.

Are there some configuration options for this? I can't find them if there are. Chrome has a settings icon for the Web Inspector. Please don't tell me I have to use some command-line BS.

They apparently are now continuing with the disturbing trend to have only one way to do something. Took me a while to figure out how to delete a breakpoint. You have to hit the "delete" key when the breakpoint is selected. There is no longer a context menu for breakpoints.

(They did this with the Finder, too. Hell if I want to have to drag stuff all the way across two screens to the wastebasket to delete them...)

Can anbody help me find how to display the javascript context? I know I've seen it, but damned if I can't remember how I got there. All I can do right now is step through Javascript blind. I found the tiny little icons in the lower-right corner to step, etc. But the variables don't show anywhere, and I can't find any menu item to turn it on.

What is with developers replacing perfectly good products with total, uttler crap? First Foursquare, now Web Inspector. ;)

NeonBible

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2012
I use Element inspector a lot in CSS styling. I really miss page numbers of specific styles and especially element's inherited styles. I wonder why has Apple started to remove useful features. Now Safari 6 is totally useless for me and it forces me to switch to Chrome.
I also use Element Inspector a lot but now I don't even know how to use it. How do I click on an element to get its information such as ID?

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
So, I found the debugger context (variables, etc.)

It does show when you hit a breakpoint. But then if you switch to some other debugger display, I can't figure out how to get it back.

Only way I have found is to reload the page and go through all the steps to hit the breakpoint again.

Did anybody at Apple try to use this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.