PDA

View Full Version : Gatekeeper

jrock2004
Jul 27, 2012, 07:08 AM
I would like to know if people are disabling this feature. I have cause I needed to install Git but wondering if others are just keeping this disabled. Thanks

steve-p
Jul 27, 2012, 07:25 AM
I left mine set to MAS and identified developers and all seems fine.

Did you have to disable it totally to get git to work? I read somewhere that you can right click something it doesn't like and pick 'Open' in the menu, accept the warning, and after that it will let you run that particular thing anytime.

jrock2004
Jul 27, 2012, 07:32 AM
I had to disable it but I did not try right clicking

jrock2004
Jul 27, 2012, 10:22 AM
I see nothing for right clicking that allows users to make an exception. I think its time to shut it off

iVikD
Jul 27, 2012, 10:25 AM
Definitely shut off. I already bought a locked-down iPhone and iPad (which I promptly jailbroke,) don't need a locked-down computer too, even if it's 'for my own safety'...

dyn
Jul 27, 2012, 08:30 PM
I would like to know if people are disabling this feature. I have cause I needed to install Git but wondering if others are just keeping this disabled. Thanks
I installed Git with Gatekeeper on its default settings. I simply used the override feature it has. You need to hold the ctrl-key, rightclick the .pkg file and select "open". You now get a dialog asking you if you are sure you want to override ok/cancel (or something like that). Hit "ok" and it will fire up the installer and install without any problems. If you add /usr/local/git/bin as the first entry (the top one) in /etc/paths you'll get the newly installed Git as the default version. If you don't do this it will use the one in /usr/bin which is what comes with Xcode/OSX.

steve-p
Jul 28, 2012, 03:05 AM
Definitely shut off. I already bought a locked-down iPhone and iPad (which I promptly jailbroke,) don't need a locked-down computer too, even if it's 'for my own safety'...

Each to their own, but turning something off on principle unless it's causing you a specific problem seems a bit over the top.

mabaker
Jul 28, 2012, 03:06 AM
For my mother I left it well ON. This is the best feature Apple has built in in ML.

east85
Jul 28, 2012, 04:06 AM
Turned it off immediately after upgrading.

Icy1007
Jul 28, 2012, 04:08 AM
I see nothing for right clicking that allows users to make an exception. I think its time to shut it off

You just select Open when you right-click and you can override Gatekeeper for that app.

iVikD
Jul 28, 2012, 09:27 PM
Each to their own, but turning something off on principle unless it's causing you a specific problem seems a bit over the top.

As you say, each to their own. As a developer, there's a lot of somethings that must be downloaded all the time, and I'd rather shut it off entirely. However, for the average end-user, it does have its usefulness.