Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MSmilor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
All,

I have the opportunity to purchase the following PowerMac:

G5 1.8GHz
256MB RAM
80GB HD
8xSuperDrive
PCI
GeFr5200 (64 MB)
P/N M9555LL/A

Cost is 999$. This is one of the "crippled" PowerMacs(PCI, 4 GB max RAM, Frontside bus is 1/3 processor speed, etc). This would replace an existing G3 desktop.

Opinions?

Thanks in advance. :)

Tachikoma

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2005
Crap, find me a deal like that. God damnit :mad: I'd take that in a heartbeat.

600Mhz FSB is still nothing to frown upon. Likewise, who the hell would need more than 4GB of RAM with that setup? :confused: Still has an AGP 8X slot so a gaming card will work fine.

MUCKYFINGERS

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
CA
As soon as I saw the words "$999" and "G5 PowerMac" in the same sentence, I thought to myself, BUY! But I don't know enough about PowerMacs to make a good judgement since I haven't used one of the crippled ones (only used the new 2ghz ones). But hey, $1000 for a PowerMac, sure, I'd think about it.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
the apple store sells a refurb powermac for 1299.- so its a good deal.

but the dual g5 1.8 ghz is 1499.-. so for 50% more money you get 100% more performance. i'd prefer that one if you can spend the 500 bucks more.

RandomDeadHead

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2003
fennario
andiwm2003 said:
the apple store sells a refurb powermac for 1299.- so its a good deal.

but the dual g5 1.8 ghz is 1499.-. so for 50% more money you get 100% more performance. i'd prefer that one if you can spend the 500 bucks more.

Well, I would not call that 100% more performance. More like 25-45 percent more. Probably less. Depending on the aplication.

chucknorris

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2005
Moscow, ID (No Kremlin here!)
MSmilor said:
All,

I have the opportunity to purchase the following PowerMac:

G5 1.8GHz
256MB RAM
80GB HD
8xSuperDrive
PCI
GeFr5200 (64 MB)
P/N M9555LL/A

Cost is 999$. This is one of the "crippled" PowerMacs(PCI, 4 GB max RAM, Frontside bus is 1/3 processor speed, etc). This would replace an existing G3 desktop.

Opinions?

Thanks in advance. :)

Ever consider getting one of the imac g5's in the refurb store? You can get a superdrive 17" from the previous generation for the same price with nearly identical stats plus, of course, a display and keyboard/mouse. Only 2 gigs of ram possible there, but that should suffice for damn near anything.

Just food for thought...

MSmilor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
chucknorris said:
Ever consider getting one of the imac g5's in the refurb store? You can get a superdrive 17" from the previous generation for the same price with nearly identical stats plus, of course, a display and keyboard/mouse. Only 2 gigs of ram possible there, but that should suffice for damn near anything.

Just food for thought...

I had not really considered this. Only downside I can see from your suggestion is that the Video Card is not upgradable and my 17" studio monitor heads to Ebay or the garage. Additionally, I just determined the existing PCI cards I have would non function in the G5 PowerMac since they are 5V cards not 3.3 V cards eliminating backward compatibility as a plus.

chucknorris

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2005
Moscow, ID (No Kremlin here!)
MSmilor said:
I had not really considered this. Only downside I can see from your suggestion is that the Video Card is not upgradable and my 17" studio monitor heads to Ebay or the garage. Additionally, I just determined the existing PCI cards I have would non function in the G5 PowerMac since they are 5V cards not 3.3 V cards eliminating backward compatibility as a plus.

All very, very true. I'm thinking that something like the powermac is perfect for your needs. It allows much more freedom than the imac--freedom to upgrade, accessorize, and use with existing hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.