PDA

View Full Version : Video Game in full screen mode flickers

M. Malone
Jul 27, 2012, 08:42 AM
Hello,

As the title says. I regularly play Command and Conquer 3 on my mac since Leopard. It worked fine in Lion.

Now with Mountain Lion, it has no issues in Window mode. But when I go full screen it starts to flicker.

I have played with the graphics settings in the game to see if it can be fixed, no luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

M. Malone
Jul 27, 2012, 11:59 AM
Anyone?

I know EA won't fix this because the game is too old.

My only hope is to find a fix.

M. Malone
Jul 28, 2012, 01:25 AM
Bump

M. Malone
Aug 2, 2012, 09:36 AM
C'mon, somebody can help!

It runs fine at native resolution in windowed mode, but flickers when in full screen.

I'm sure it's an easy fix that I can't seem to figure out!! :confused:

proxify
Aug 2, 2012, 09:57 AM
maybe is bootcamp a solution?
if it is compatible with windows you should install windows (xp/vista/7).

Or the flickering is a common problem in ML and apple will fix this in an upcoming update?

M. Malone
Aug 4, 2012, 08:46 AM
maybe is bootcamp a solution?
if it is compatible with windows you should install windows (xp/vista/7).

Or the flickering is a common problem in ML and apple will fix this in an upcoming update?

Thanks, I prefer to run in Mac. Bootcamp isn't worth it cause it's the only game I play.

Palstro
Nov 10, 2012, 12:55 AM
I'm sorry to resurrect an old thread but I was looking for a solution for this very issue today and ended up figuring it out. This is a thread that Google kept pointing me to so I wanted to post a possible solution here.

This fixed the flickering issue for me so I hope it also does for anyone else wanting to give good old Command and Conquer 3 a whirl again.

What I did:

1. Navigate to the Applications folder
2. Right click on the Command and Conquer 3 app and hit 'Show Package Contents'
3. Navigate to Contents -> Resources
4. Again, right click on the Command and Conquer 3 app and hit 'Show Package Contents'
5. Navigate to Contents -> Resources -> Preferences
6. Right click on the file named 'config' and open it with TextEdit
7. Find the line "fbobackbuffer" = "Y" and change the "Y" to a "N"
8. Save the file.
9. I also did the same to the 'config' file in ~/Library/Preferences/Command and Conquer 3 Preferences

I don't know if it's necessary to change the files in both locations. In fact, I think I only did it to the file in the Library folder to start with.

I hope that helps!

Sambucca
Nov 12, 2012, 01:39 PM
I'm sorry to resurrect an old thread but I was looking for a solution for this very issue today and ended up figuring it out. This is a thread that Google kept pointing me to so I wanted to post a possible solution here

[...]

I hope that helps!

Hell yes, that fixed it for me! Thanks a bunch, now I can play C&C 3 in full-screen again :)

How did you figure this out?

Palstro
Nov 12, 2012, 08:55 PM
I just fiddled around with those settings in the config file to be honest!

Toby Goodbar
Dec 8, 2012, 01:41 PM
didn't work for me but i couldn't find any cnc preferences anywhere either i only modded the package contents inside the package contents

Toby Goodbar
Dec 8, 2012, 02:19 PM
Sorry, forgot the Library is invisible in 10.8.

So for anyone reading this here are instructions to replace

1. from the Finder, keystroke Shift-Command-G
2. Enter ~/Library/
3. This opens user library.

game will work after this thanks to Palstro's discovery

....anyone know how to tell it which screen to use on a mulit monitor setup? OR how not to have a second blacked out screen?

MadMac26
Dec 9, 2012, 04:05 AM
I'm sorry to resurrect an old thread but I was looking for a solution for this very issue today and ended up figuring it out. This is a thread that Google kept pointing me to so I wanted to post a possible solution here.

This fixed the flickering issue for me so I hope it also does for anyone else wanting to give good old Command and Conquer 3 a whirl again.

What I did:

4. Again, right click on the Command and Conquer 3 app and hit 'Show Package Contents'
8. Save the file.
9. I also did the same to the 'config' file in ~/Library/Preferences/Command and Conquer 3 Preferences

I don't know if it's necessary to change the files in both locations. In fact, I think I only did it to the file in the Library folder to start with.

I hope that helps!

Thanks a lot !!!
Mac OS 10.7.5

meme1255
Dec 9, 2012, 04:16 AM
That bug occurs on Mac OS X 10.7.5 and later (Moutain Lion) :rolleyes:

meme1255
Dec 23, 2012, 11:09 AM
I've done a terminal command that fixes (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16544414#post16544414)clickering

PS: Sorry for advertisement :D

Henningt
Jun 27, 2013, 06:10 AM

What I did:

8. Save the file.

I hope that helps!

Where do you find the last ´config´ file cant find it anywhere.
It still flickers with the first config file changed.
Im using OSX 10.8.4

Toby Goodbar
Jun 27, 2013, 01:46 PM
Where do you find the last ´config´ file cant find it anywhere.
It still flickers with the first config file changed.
Im using OSX 10.8.4

Read the whole thread. This has been answered already.

Post #11

M. Malone
Mar 16, 2014, 09:53 AM

What I did:

8. Save the file.

I hope that helps!

I am resurrecting this thread just to say THANK YOU Palstro!

You are a king of kings!

I gave up hope on this, and then today I did a Google search and found this thread, it took me a minute to realize that it's my thread!

I then scrolled down and found your solution, it worked! Perfect!!

Now back to come C&C 3.

A belated thanks for the awesome solution.

marcusb3495
Apr 9, 2014, 12:47 PM
just make sure you paste "N" and don't use the default text edit "

sounds weird i know but just got it working on

mavericks 10.9.2 in full screen