PDA

View Full Version : Apples new internal drive system (not Serial ATA) but this is just testing stuff


DJ_TRicks
Nov 10, 2002, 03:53 PM
from my freind in apple i was told that apple is thinking and has a working prototype of the new IBM processor computer The 64 bit PPC chip. But what apples wants to do instead of using Serial ATA
they want to use internal firewire 2b (1 gigbit a sec transferrate)
and suppoidly they are working with matrox to produce a few test firewire 2b harddrives.


now we all saw when apple tried the firewire internal in the old blue and white g3 and still had it till the graphite g4

i would hope this would be true when they come out with the new chip tower line

robbieduncan
Nov 10, 2002, 03:56 PM
I'm not sure it's even worth correcting your errors - you seem to be a one person rubish generator. Anyway Matrox make graphics cards, Maxtor make harddrives. These little slips make your so called rumors look a little less credible!

Correct me spelling whilst correcting another - slap me down with a wet fish!

Nipsy
Nov 10, 2002, 04:15 PM
FireWire hard drives huh?

You are aware there is no such thing as a "FireWire HD"?

You're trying to tell me that there will be FW2 HDs, even though there are no FW1 HDs? Or are you trying to convince us all that Apple will be adding bridge chipsets to internal drives, in order to increase complexity and potential for error.

FireWire is not a drive control protocol. This means that FireWire encolsures have a bridge (often an Oxford 911) which translates the signal on the wire back into ATA commands! I suppose it is better than ethernet drives...

Please research the "rumors" you intend to invent a little bit more...

Sun Baked
Nov 10, 2002, 04:27 PM
DJ TRicks would you mind reposting these hardware and software threads at Mac Achaia section @ Ars Technia (http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenTopic/page?a=frm&s=50009562&f=8300945231)?

DJ_TRicks
Nov 10, 2002, 05:11 PM
i dont take kindly to being mocked i have trouble with spelling yes i know this but its not because i dont take time with what im typing. im sick and tired of you guys saying im just blowing smoke you know what its a rumors that i post ok rumors and also things that i hear from people i trust and know well so if you dont belive me thats fine.

and i dont make up what i hear.

i really hate people who just find it fun to mock a person just because he said something you find to stupid to belive or anything like that.

and my spelling errors i try to fix but spell check dosnt always find them so why dont you just kiss my ass.

i post what i hear from my freinds who work for apple and for other companies related with apple.

As i said the firewire internal harddrive system is an alpha prototype only A PROTOTYPE!!!!!

i know how firewire works and i know how ATA works
so i dont need a lesson from *******s who think how they are all higher and mighty then me.

im just posting what i hear and this is what this is for am i not right?

its called Mac Rumors
not Mac TOTALLY GOING TO HAPPEN NEWS AND INFORMATION
if you want that go to http://www.MacNN.com
otherwise shutup and leave me alone when it come to what i post

you can post replies telling me how this might not be possible but instead of saying im lieing or bull****ting or telling how i post 5 of so many topics with in 15 mins tells give me an explination to why its not possible not some oh he is stupid or he list porn as an intrest or something so blatenly mean and rude
i dont do that to anyone elses post so please dont do that to mine

its just the old saying dont have anything nice to say dont say anything at all

Rower_CPU
Nov 10, 2002, 05:37 PM
Seems you have a lot to learn, DJ_TRicks.

There's a little thing called freedom of speech that allows people to say whatever they feel. Calling your "rumors" into question falls under that heading.

Just because this is a rumor-based site doesn't mean that we believe everything that is posted. Until your "rumors" have a little more backup, expect to be mocked.

Nipsy
Nov 10, 2002, 05:52 PM
First of all, Maxtor vs. Matrox is not a spelling error, it is the confusion of two very different companies.

Secondly, if you would prefer not to be mocked, you may want to slow down, and think about what you post. When you create one (or two or three) topic[s], you should ask yourself if they are plausible.

If someone told you we'd be getting atomic Macs that made coffee, and gave foot massages, would you post it? I hope not.

If someone told you that a protocol which is not a drive command protocol would be in testing for future Mac drives, would you post it? Apparently so.

I'm quite willing to admit that I don't know all. I don't resort to calling everyone an ******* when corrected. I believe in arguing a definsible position rationally.

You create a defensible position by extrapolating the future from reality. Holographic storage...makes sense. Molecular processors...makes sense. 10GHz Palladium porcessors...makes sense. FireWire as an internal drive control protocol...does not make sense.

In the time you spent writing your little diatribe, you could have researched you point, and come back with more information.

Instead, you started ranting. If you wanna waste your time throwing insults about, you're credibility further decreases. Insulting people is the behavior of adolescents, and the insecure. Are you one or both of the above?

Rumors are weighed on credibility...if you want to have any, you should calm down, research the feasibility of you topics, and present your ideas as imformation, free of idealism.

Now, as to why this is impossible:
FireWire is not a control protocol for drives. There is no such thing as a FireWire drive (just like there is no such thing as a USB drive). When you think of a FireWire or USB drive, you are talking about an ATA/IDE drive in a FireWire or USB enclosure. There are ATA/IDE, SCSI, and FibreChannel (a SCSI subset) drives. If someone were working on a FireWire drive protocol, even the Apple secret police could not keep it quiet, as Seagate, Maxtor, IBM, Fujitsu, & WesternDigtial woud all help design the spec.

Nipsy
Nov 10, 2002, 05:59 PM
Server Burped

MacBandit
Nov 10, 2002, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Nipsy
First of all, Maxtor vs. Matrox is not a spelling error, it is the confusion of two very different companies.

Secondly, if you would prefer not to be mocked, you may want to slow down, and think about what you post. When you create one (or two or three) topic[s], you should ask yourself if they are plausible.

If someone told you we'd be getting atomic Macs that made coffee, and gave foot massages, would you post it? I hope not.

If someone told you that a protocol which is not a drive command protocol would be in testing for future Mac drives, would you post it? Apparently so.

I'm quite willing to admit that I don't know all. I don't resort to calling everyone an ******* when corrected. I believe in arguing a definsible position rationally.

You create a defensible position by extrapolating the future from reality. Holographic storage...makes sense. Molecular processors...makes sense. 10GHz Palladium porcessors...makes sense. FireWire as an internal drive control protocol...does not make sense.

In the time you spent writing your little diatribe, you could have researched you point, and come back with more information.

Instead, you started ranting. If you wanna waste your time throwing insults about, you're credibility further decreases. Insulting people is the behavior of adolescents, and the insecure. Are you one or both of the above?

Rumors are weighed on credibility...if you want to have any, you should calm down, research the feasibility of you topics, and present your ideas as imformation, free of idealism.

Now, as to why this is impossible:
FireWire is not a control protocol for drives. There is no such thing as a FireWire drive (just like there is no such thing as a USB drive). When you think of a FireWire or USB drive, you are talking about an ATA/IDE drive in a FireWire or USB enclosure. There are ATA/IDE, SCSI, and FibreChannel (a SCSI subset) drives. If someone were working on a FireWire drive protocol, even the Apple secret police could not keep it quiet, as Seagate, Maxtor, IBM, Fujitsu, & WesternDigtial woud all help design the spec.

Just to add fuel to the fire. Apple did talk about the potential of Firewire controlled internal hard drives when they released the first G4s. They mentioned this when questioned about the internal firewire port on those machines.

Nipsy
Nov 10, 2002, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by MacBandit


Just to add fuel to the fire. Apple did talk about the potential of Firewire controlled internal hard drives when they released the first G4s. They mentioned this when questioned about the internal firewire port on those machines.

But since such a beast does not exist, and is not being discussed in any of the drive related sites, I'm still not giving any credibility to this topic.

Even the iPod uses an ATA/IDE drive...

MacBandit
Nov 10, 2002, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Nipsy


But since such a beast does not exist, and is not being discussed in any of the drive related sites, I'm still not giving any credibility to this topic.

Even the iPod uses an ATA/IDE drive...


I'm not trying to aid in this rash of rumors that DJ_Tricks has unleash. I'm just putting in my own 2cents.

I personally don't care what someone says they heard or starts as a rumor in a rumor site. This is simply because rumors are rumors and this is because they aren't facts so therefore they don't require even one shred of truth.

I'm starting a rumor right now in the middle of this thread.

Steve Jobs came to me in a dream last night and said that the replacement for the cube is going to be released at Macworld in January. It will be shaped as an obelisk and will hover around following you every where with a camera on top to watch your every move. 1984 is coming. The Obelisk Mac will have Quad ppc970 processor and 2 iTanium chips also just for good measure. It will have 1 terabyte of hard drive space on a Quadrabit Wireless Firewire. In fact everything about it will be wireless even the cpus. The thing will not need batteries simply using gravitational waves as energy to power it. It will also not need a display as it will be in constant two way communication directly with the users brain. If an unfortunate soul happens to pass between the Obelisk and the current user that person will be reprogrammed and immediately become an Apple user slave. The true innovation of the Obelisk mac comes in that the cpus are simply there to be an interface with the world wide computing cluster (more on this at another time). The real processing power will come from the user own brain which most of the time will be completely tied up in a grand scale of distributed computing for Apple. Apples distribute computing process will be in the research of human replacement androids. The androids are needed because humans are more crash prone then Windows 95 on a 486 computer with 32MB of ram.

It was one hell of a nightmare but sources that I have contacted at Apple have assured me that I will be assimilated and resistance is futile.

solvs
Nov 10, 2002, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by DJ_TRicks
its just the old saying dont have anything nice to say dont say anything at all

There's another old saying - if you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen. And you just jumped into the oven. Sorry, there's no such thing as a firewire hard drive, as others have mentioned. Notice how new Macs don't seem to have that internal connection anymore (at least I haven't seen it, and they don't have it listed in the specs).

Mayhaps people would take you more seriously if you used CAPITOLS occasionally (what are you from M$?. That's what they do internally). And puncuation. Periods and commas are always helpful. Most people don't much care about spelling and grammar (and those that do, get over it) but with a post like this, you tend to lose credibility.

Expect a little rude skeptism here, we don't all just believe everything we hear.

Don't start getting bitchy until you can come back and rub it in our faces (if you're right, which you aren't).

madamimadam
Nov 10, 2002, 10:30 PM
Jesus there are some wankers on this site... how would any of you know if there are Firewire hard drives or not. There was a suggestion made that Apple is working on a prototype. Not only does this mean that one does not exist outside of a lab, in which case you have no way of knowing about it, but it also means that it could never happen. While it might be the next big thing for Apple it could also turn out to be nothing.

Reasons why it could happen would include the sheer speed over ATA/IDE while reasons not include the fact that on the hard drive end there would need to be a device for converting the signals into something the drive would be able to read but the speed of transport could make the time taken to convert the signal negligible when compared to the speed of the drive.

Saying this, at the moment, drives are no where near fast enough for firewire to be of any benifit, it would just be wasted bandwidth.

Why don't you people learn to discuss a topic instead of sounding like arseholes? You can suggest that a rumour is unlikely to happen without acting like complete morons.

I have a saying for you, to:
"Get your hand off it!"

G4scott
Nov 10, 2002, 11:32 PM
the saying: "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" is a liberal saying. Only whiney little biznatches use sayings like that. Those sayings are for kindergarden.

As for your spell-checker, mine picks up on 'dosnt'. I also have little regard for people that I don't know well that don't capitalize their 'I's" when referring to themselves. Informally, it may work, but if you're trying to make a good impression on the rest of us, it's not working. The world is all about impressions. Don't expect for someone to make one up for you. You have to make your own...

Now, for that firewire HD thing... I do see benefits, in that you can easily put hard drives in a computer with no configuration at all. I'm not sure how fast the next version of firewire will be, but if it's faster than ATA-133, I'd say that this sounds like a good idea. Of course, the drives won't be fully firewire, since firewire is a communications thingy (standard or protocol, or whatever) It's a way to transfer data, not read hard drives. Of course, it might also result in a proprietary HD system, and that would be bad, unless it was twice as fast as anything else out there. Apple may be working on something like this, but whether or not it sees the light of day is something only Jobs knows.

madamimadam
Nov 10, 2002, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by G4scott
the saying: "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" is a liberal saying. Only whiney little biznatches use sayings like that. Those sayings are for kindergarden.

As for your spell-checker, mine picks up on 'dosnt'. I also have little regard for people that I don't know well that don't capitalize their 'I's" when referring to themselves. Informally, it may work, but if you're trying to make a good impression on the rest of us, it's not working. The world is all about impressions. Don't expect for someone to make one up for you. You have to make your own...

Now, for that firewire HD thing... I do see benefits, in that you can easily put hard drives in a computer with no configuration at all. I'm not sure how fast the next version of firewire will be, but if it's faster than ATA-133, I'd say that this sounds like a good idea. Of course, the drives won't be fully firewire, since firewire is a communications thingy (standard or protocol, or whatever) It's a way to transfer data, not read hard drives. Of course, it might also result in a proprietary HD system, and that would be bad, unless it was twice as fast as anything else out there. Apple may be working on something like this, but whether or not it sees the light of day is something only Jobs knows.

1Gb Firewire would NOT be faster than ATA 133 BUT it would support WAY more than 2 hard drives per channel. Speed is TOTALLY not an issue with hard drive buses at the moment, since an IDE hard drive usually can only max at about 50MB/s and has an average speed much slower mixed with the fact that it is so amazingly rare to have enough hard drives churning at a fast enough rate to max out 133MB/s.

Also, as you mentioned, Firewire hard drives would be truely hot plugable and would not need configuration and I would LOVE that to be the case with every hard drive I have to deal with.

solvs
Nov 11, 2002, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by madamimadam

Also, as you mentioned, Firewire hard drives would be truely hot plugable and would not need configuration and I would LOVE that to be the case with every hard drive I have to deal with.

We'd all love that. And actually a TRUE FireWire 2 hard drive would be very fast. Unfortunetly, they don't exist, and probably never will. Some people confuse FireWire with FibreChannel, two different things. FibreChannel hard drives are very fast (faster than SCSI), and very expensive. Not the same as FireWire, which is used as a bridge to IDE.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, merely pointing out the general wrongness of this post.

Post whatever you want, whether it's true or not, whether you heard it from some guy or are Steve Jobs himself. Just don't expect us to trust you completely, for no reason, with no history and nothing to back you up. And don't get offended if people don't believe you. This being a public forum people can be rude (although if you go too far, you can be banned).

I just have a problem with some newbie coming in and saying stuff like this, then getting mad when people ask where the proof is (or just don't believe them).

If you're right, then you can come back and rub it in our faces.

Inhale420
Nov 11, 2002, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Sun Baked
DJ TRicks would you mind reposting these hardware and software threads at Mac Achaia section @ Ars Technia (http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenTopic/page?a=frm&s=50009562&f=8300945231)?

heh i take it you got schooled by the big boys there?

Sun Baked
Nov 11, 2002, 12:47 AM
Nah, surprisingly not ...

Just thought it would be interesting to see what the big boys think of these rumors.

Though this weekends response to OS X on x86 was quite interesting...

Originally posted by pi radians

quote:Originally posted by Tully_Mars:
I have heard rumors about Apple porting OS X to the Intel platform. Since OS X is based upon BSD I would think that it would be quite possible to port it over.

Think of the market share Apple could gain that way.

Tully.

Hey, a dead horse! Everyone gather round with your baseball bats and give it a wallop!
If he really feels strongly about the validity of the claims he's making, he'd be able to stand up against Ars Technia scrutiny.

It's not like I'm asking him to post in their Battlefront...

Cappy
Nov 11, 2002, 03:05 AM
It seems like there are a number of people around here just waiting for someone to pounce on, beat their chest a few times, and in the end look like a moron. Granted the original poster doesn't help themself any but lets keep an open mind about some things around here.

1. It is very possible for scsi-3 commands to be used in conjunction with the 1394 spec. Look it up.

2. I believe it was Western Digital(could be wrong on it being them) back in the mid 90's who actually spent some resources on developing a 1394 harddrive. Costs and lack of marketshare pretty much killed it.

It's not impossible by any means. The real question would be the why unless there was some new technology that sped harddrives up.

As for my personal opinion I wouldn't be surprised if Apple is trying to capitalize on the one area that is still the slowest component of a computer system. That's not to say that they're looking to just slap some sort of 1394 interface on a harddrive but slapping it on some sort of enhanced unit that was much faster than the current technology. Such a thing would be a huge win for Apple.

rEd Eye
Nov 11, 2002, 03:24 AM
Sheeesh!
What a bunch of prissy schoolgirls hang out here!
What's the matter?Is someone proven ignorant if they aren't particularily articulate in the art of speaking english or nimble on a keyboard?
What is it with some of the users of this site?
It's okay to diss the rumor,but please lay off the personal attacks that are so famous around these parts!
It makes you look like *******s.

Sure makes me want to be part of the "mac" club....:roll:

GetSome681
Nov 11, 2002, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by Cappy

It's not impossible by any means. The real question would be the why unless there was some new technology that sped harddrives up.


People here keep saying that this would sound probable if new hard drives could take advantage of the firewire speed. Get this, the next revision of FireWire we know is going to be 800 Mbps, which is roughly 100 MBps. ATA133 is 133 MBps with SerialATA starting off at 150 MBps and heading to 300+ (can't remember exact number) in the next 1-2 revisions.

I honestly don't believe that FireWire is the answer to internal hard drives.

Also, someone mentioned how an internal firewire drive would require no configuration at all. Not to start any Mac vs. PC arguments, but you can run Cable Select on almost ALL new PC motherboards. I just stick hard drives in there and they're recognized...no need to play with jumpers anymore. Not to mention that SATA will do away with jumpers for good.

Someone else also noted that if this was a possibility being developed, Apple would not have a secret hold on it. Apple does not manufacture hard drives, and therefore would be in this with one of the major manufacturers (who on average do not keep extreme secret about the technologies they have coming in the future).

My only hope is that we get SerialATA on the PowerMacs before the end of 2003, so as not to be so far behind. I believe the first set of SATA drives begin shipping very shortly, so as to be on the market for xmas.

Cappy
Nov 11, 2002, 08:30 AM
SerialATA is going to be nice but I don't know that it'll be the improvement that is truly needed on the speed side of things. The problem is still at the drive level. I'm not saying firewire is going to answer it because by itself it won't. My point is merely that if Apple figured out an edge on this with someone they might try to incorporate firewire into the picture to popularize it and make an impact on the market. Lots of geeks out there can't say no to speed especially if the price is somewhat close.

sparkleytone
Nov 11, 2002, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by solvs


Mayhaps people would take you more seriously if you used CAPITOLS occasionally (what are you from M$?. That's what they do internally). And puncuation. Periods and commas are always helpful. Most people don't much care about spelling and grammar (and those that do, get over it) but with a post like this, you tend to lose credibility.

Expect a little rude skeptism here, we don't all just believe everything we hear.

Don't start getting bitchy until you can come back and rub it in our faces (if you're right, which you aren't).

i think you can just plain suck it. alot of times, hell most of the time, i write without the use of capitals (get it right) because i just don't feel the need to capitalize when what is being read is understood. on the other hand, quite a few of your sentences, regardless of punctuation and/or capitals, make absolutely no sense whatsoever. so do us all a favor, quit flaming people for things such as grammar, punctuation, capitals, etc and learn to read and write in a clear manner. there is yet another "old" saying. those that live in glass houses should not throw stones.

GetSome681
Nov 11, 2002, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Cappy
SerialATA is going to be nice but I don't know that it'll be the improvement that is truly needed on the speed side of things. The problem is still at the drive level. I'm not saying firewire is going to answer it because by itself it won't. My point is merely that if Apple figured out an edge on this with someone they might try to incorporate firewire into the picture to popularize it and make an impact on the market. Lots of geeks out there can't say no to speed especially if the price is somewhat close.

Oh, I totally agree with you. Right now, even with SCSI drives, the speed limitations is with getting data onto and off the platters of the hard drive, and not transferring that data through the cable.

However, there are other advantages of SATA that come from the cable being so extremely short and small, such as less length for data corruption, as well as better air flow in cases. HOWEVER, I must say that with Apple's beautifully designed cases, at least with stock hard drives, cables restricting air flow is not really a problem. However, if you start throwing pci cards in there to add more hard drives, you can run into some problems. For most this isn't an issue...but for me with two 15k scsi drives as well as two ide hard drives in my g4, it's gets darn hot in there.

technocoy
Nov 11, 2002, 12:22 PM
:D that was good sparkleytone:D
that was too good:D
i can't quit laughing, thanks for pointing that one out!!!

just a compliment from a fellow north carolinian...
as a designer... i just hate capital letters anyway:p

technocoy

MacBandit
Nov 11, 2002, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by GetSome681
Also, someone mentioned how an internal firewire drive would require no configuration at all. Not to start any Mac vs. PC arguments, but you can run Cable Select on almost ALL new PC motherboards. I just stick hard drives in there and they're recognized...no need to play with jumpers anymore. Not to mention that SATA will do away with jumpers for good.

All the new PowerMacs work this way also.

madamimadam
Nov 11, 2002, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Cappy
It's not impossible by any means. The real question would be the why unless there was some new technology that sped harddrives up.


Firewire takes less configuration and can handle more devices per channel.

madamimadam
Nov 11, 2002, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by GetSome681

Also, someone mentioned how an internal firewire drive would require no configuration at all. Not to start any Mac vs. PC arguments, but you can run Cable Select on almost ALL new PC motherboards. I just stick hard drives in there and they're recognized...no need to play with jumpers anymore. Not to mention that SATA will do away with jumpers for good.


Not to start any "you don't know what you're talking about" arguements but cable select works on Mac too but you still have to play with jumpers once which is more technical than just putting the hard drive in and having it work.

GetSome681
Nov 11, 2002, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by madamimadam


Not to start any "you don't know what you're talking about" arguements but cable select works on Mac too but you still have to play with jumpers once which is more technical than just putting the hard drive in and having it work.

My g4 might be older, but I do know that if I leave both drives' jumpers on cable select, I never end up seeing them. Putting them that way in my PC, and they're seen. I'm just speaking from EXACT personal experience. If this isn't the case with newer macs, then my apologies.

madamimadam
Nov 11, 2002, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by GetSome681


My g4 might be older, but I do know that if I leave both drives' jumpers on cable select, I never end up seeing them. Putting them that way in my PC, and they're seen. I'm just speaking from EXACT personal experience. If this isn't the case with newer macs, then my apologies.

What G4 you have??? I am using a PM 533 (Digital Audio Series) and I have used cable select before.

Rower_CPU
Nov 11, 2002, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by GetSome681
My g4 might be older, but I do know that if I leave both drives' jumpers on cable select, I never end up seeing them. Putting them that way in my PC, and they're seen. I'm just speaking from EXACT personal experience. If this isn't the case with newer macs, then my apologies.

In my experience with PCs, not all HDs or ATA controllers behave the same with the cable select setup. Some require one drive to be master, some require both to be explicitly set, and some are just fine using cable select.

It's more of a crap shoot than anything else, unfortunately.

Chisholm
Nov 11, 2002, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by MacBandit



I'm not trying to aid in this rash of rumors that DJ_Tricks has unleash. I'm just putting in my own 2cents.

I personally don't care what someone says they heard or starts as a rumor in a rumor site. This is simply because rumors are rumors and this is because they aren't facts so therefore they don't require even one shred of truth.

I'm starting a rumor right now in the middle of this thread.

Steve Jobs came to me in a dream last night and said that the replacement for the cube is going to be released at Macworld in January. It will be shaped as an obelisk and will hover around following you every where with a camera on top to watch your every move. 1984 is coming. The Obelisk Mac will have Quad ppc970 processor and 2 iTanium chips also just for good measure. It will have 1 terabyte of hard drive space on a Quadrabit Wireless Firewire. In fact everything about it will be wireless even the cpus. The thing will not need batteries simply using gravitational waves as energy to power it. It will also not need a display as it will be in constant two way communication directly with the users brain. If an unfortunate soul happens to pass between the Obelisk and the current user that person will be reprogrammed and immediately become an Apple user slave. The true innovation of the Obelisk mac comes in that the cpus are simply there to be an interface with the world wide computing cluster (more on this at another time). The real processing power will come from the user own brain which most of the time will be completely tied up in a grand scale of distributed computing for Apple. Apples distribute computing process will be in the research of human replacement androids. The androids are needed because humans are more crash prone then Windows 95 on a 486 computer with 32MB of ram.

It was one hell of a nightmare but sources that I have contacted at Apple have assured me that I will be assimilated and resistance is futile.

Well considering we all know Steve has been able to almost perfect the Reality Distortion Field over the years, this seems like a likely rumor. Gravity distortion seems like it would be even easier than reality. I just hope they don't have problems with hair line cracks showing up in the Oblisk's case. THAT is what killed the cube. Any mention about a quieter fan than the current G4's? Or will it even need them?:p

cheers!

-John

GetSome681
Nov 11, 2002, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by madamimadam


What G4 you have??? I am using a PM 533 (Digital Audio Series) and I have used cable select before.

400 Sawtooth. Cable Select has never worked for me. I've always had to select master and slave, as it's always a pain, b/c not all drives illustrate jumper settings on the drive, and i always end up having to look it up on the manufacturer's website. I think almost all new ata drives though have the illustrations now.

Sun Baked
Nov 11, 2002, 07:37 PM
If people were confused about SCSIs pick a number not already used scheme, there's bound to be more problems with ATA drives and looking at websites and pictures trying to figure out Master/Slave settings.

solvs
Nov 11, 2002, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by sparkleytone

i think you can just plain suck it. alot of times, hell most of the time, i write without the use of capitals (get it right) because i just don't feel the need to capitalize when what is being read is understood. on the other hand, quite a few of your sentences, regardless of punctuation and/or capitals, make absolutely no sense whatsoever. so do us all a favor, quit flaming people for things such as grammar, punctuation, capitals, etc and learn to read and write in a clear manner. there is yet another "old" saying. those that live in glass houses should not throw stones.

I think you missed the part where I said those of you who care about spelling, grammar, etc. to get over it (and the partial sarcasm). And yes, I too find it ironic that I misspelled CAPITALS. Even after I noticed my mistake, I left it in there. I stand behind my statement that it's kind of hard to take him too seriously. I don't think it was as bad a flame as some others obviously did, and (unlike you, ironically enough) I don't think I personnaly attacked anyone. Read my second post to this thread.

So no, I won't suck it. :p

And I'm not living in a glass house, because I'm not getting all mad because people won't believe me when I say something stupid that can't possibly happen (there, that was a personnal attack). And unlike this poster, I can take being flamed. I screwed up, and I made a mistake (my sig is just a Dennis Miller joke, I do know that I make mistakes).

Sue me.

So tell me, do you think DJ_TRicks is actually right about this?

Cappy
Nov 11, 2002, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Sun Baked
If people were confused about SCSIs pick a number not already used scheme, there's bound to be more problems with ATA drives and looking at websites and pictures trying to figure out Master/Slave settings.

You are kidding, right?

Master/slave, watch what you put on the same channel...that's about it.

For scsi you have the id's and termination with termination being the tough one for people to get right most of the time. Now is that passive termination or active? Why don't I need to add a terminator to this cable? It's built in now? Oh, and which device should be closer to the adapter so that speed is not reduced? You mean it doesn't matter with this spec? Well it did with the old spec. But now it depends on how old the first device in the chain is.

Cappy
Nov 11, 2002, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by madamimadam


Firewire takes less configuration and can handle more devices per channel.

Not if the bandwidth isn't there. SerialATA will be about as plug&play as you can get and it's closer to being here than firewire is.

madamimadam
Nov 11, 2002, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Cappy


Not if the bandwidth isn't there. SerialATA will be about as plug&play as you can get and it's closer to being here than firewire is.

What, you think you can max out 100MB/s?

Sun Baked
Nov 11, 2002, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Cappy


You are kidding, right?

Master/slave, watch what you put on the same channel...that's about it.

For scsi you have the id's and termination with termination being the tough one for people to get right most of the time. Now is that passive termination or active? Why don't I need to add a terminator to this cable? It's built in now? Oh, and which device should be closer to the adapter so that speed is not reduced? You mean it doesn't matter with this spec? Well it did with the old spec. But now it depends on how old the first device in the chain is.

Not really, they don't understand where to plug in the cable how/where to move the little bridges on the pins to set up the ATA drive or where and how to install the drive in the computer.

Just because you think it's cake, doesn't mean somebody else will get confused pluging in the airport cards and/or memory sticks.

Remember there is still a group of people that takes their computer to somebody for upgrades and program installations. And anything involving opening the computer is very scary for them.

Which means that for them adding an external Firewire drive may be something they can handle. Adding an external scsi drive may be something they can handle with tech support, but an internat ATA drive...

And yes, adding multiple internal SCSI drives would rank way out of bounds for these people.

Just imagine the horror for them when they see what's involve for a HD swap in the new iMac/eMac machines where improper use of thermal paste can really mess you up.

MacBandit
Nov 12, 2002, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by Chisholm


Well considering we all know Steve has been able to almost perfect the Reality Distortion Field over the years, this seems like a likely rumor. Gravity distortion seems like it would be even easier than reality. I just hope they don't have problems with hair line cracks showing up in the Oblisk's case. THAT is what killed the cube. Any mention about a quieter fan than the current G4's? Or will it even need them?:p

cheers!

-John

No fan. Some sort of ionic cooling. Charges the air particles at the inlet and uses magnets/gravity to pull the air through. I'm not sure what the case was made of. Maybe just some sort of forcefield.

beatle888
Nov 12, 2002, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by Cappy
It seems like there are a number of people around here just waiting for someone to pounce on, beat their chest a few times, and in the end look like a moron. Granted the original poster doesn't help themself any but lets keep an open mind about some things around here.


LOL no *****. i cant believe people are bitching
about capitalization....what a bunch of pnssies.
i really lost a lot of respect for a bunch of
familiar avatars.

bitch bitch bitch...jesus christ.:mad: :eek: :p

Nipsy
Nov 12, 2002, 02:10 PM
TechTV's TheScreenSavers is doing a one hour report on had drive tecnology, past, present, and future that may be of interest to participants in this thread.

4:00 PST, TechTV.

Chisholm
Nov 12, 2002, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by MacBandit


No fan. Some sort of ionic cooling. Charges the air particles at the inlet and uses magnets/gravity to pull the air through. I'm not sure what the case was made of. Maybe just some sort of forcefield.

But if you go separating ions, wouldn't that create a bunch of dust bunnies when the negative ions attach? Maybe an enclosed system with freon cooling would work.

And could the force field case be opened so I can put a silly colored neon light inside to impress my lame friends? This is important to me. I hope Steve is listening.:p

Is this off topic? Sorry, didn't feel like bashing poor Grand Flash Master DJ_Rickey any more. Give the boy a break already!

MacBandit
Nov 12, 2002, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Chisholm


But if you go separating ions, wouldn't that create a bunch of dust bunnies when the negative ions attach? Maybe an enclosed system with freon cooling would work.

And could the force field case be opened so I can put a silly colored neon light inside to impress my lame friends? This is important to me. I hope Steve is listening.:p

Is this off topic? Sorry, didn't feel like bashing poor Grand Flash Master DJ_Rickey any more. Give the boy a break already!

I don't know about all the inside working after all this was just a dream that Steve Jobs invaded. I'm sure Steve is listening to your imput right now. He can see your through your monitor you know.

york2600
Nov 16, 2002, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by madamimadam
Saying this, at the moment, drives are no where near fast enough for firewire to be of any benifit, it would just be wasted bandwidth.

Not that I consider myself an expect, but having read a lot of articles on new ATA technologies I have 2 cents to throw in here. No drive is fast enough to saturate a ATA100 bus, but ATA133 buses show an obvious (but not amazing) benefit. The drives can use this speed for internal transfers and other communication. It's not necessary moving data back and forth, but it's signally can move faster allowing the drive to work faster. That all said hard drive are slow. We all know that. Anyone with a Tibook knows that. The drives suck.

Supa_Fly
Nov 16, 2002, 11:30 PM
First off I'm glad that the later posts in this thread have chilled a bit.

First off in the Capital world, as someone mentioned before, its Freedom of Speech. However, just as rapper Ice T. said in one of his songs, the remaining part to that is ..."just watch what you say". What I mean is that when someone has an idea, that isnt popular, the massive will jump shout scream and riddicule in protest to make that person feel small or recant their idea to follow the norm. Sad that this has happened in this forum, because as I recall we're all Mac heads here right? At least the Majority of us?! And does any of us Mac heads remember Apples slogan "Think Different"????!!!!???? Ponder that a moment please before any of this ridicule continues, please.

Sorry but I felt that was important to everyone including myself!

I'm new to the Mac world in usuage but have always admired the features and technology that went into Macs. I have no idea how this cable thing with switches and the ATA Hard Drive works, but I do remember hating the more than one HDD jumper ordeal of the old PC world--highly annoying.

Also, How does any of say can say FOR SURE that a FIREWIRE CHANNEL HARD-DRIVE doesnt exist? Dont know about any of you but most research departments in corporations dont publicly announce their new technologies with patents secured first and them being close to an actual working prototype.

Also, does anyone remember the first MacWorld broadcast of the XServe that Steve #### did, announcing that the XServe actually has a Rapid IO channel 6.4Gbps port within it??? Can anyone confirm this?? ALso what would this port be used for? connecting to the RAID Drives slated for the XServe? or is it for the Hard-Drive internal that is mentioned in this rumor thread?? Lastly, Maxtor has ATA/150 MBps HDD already on the market---currently the only ones, while IBM is ready to release 7400RPM HDD for laptops--FINALLY!!!!!

Please keep thinking different, its what sets us out among the rest.!!

benixau
Nov 17, 2002, 05:35 AM
with regards to the new cooling system ,think about the overclocking possiblities. I heard that apples new g5 chips were ging to be so cool that they have prototype quad-laptops in their labs. I got a look and used one. The only problem was that the 19" widescreen made it a bit clumsy on my lap but oh well.


Let the rumors fly. And all of you loosers out their who hammered the little fellow, we are here to <i>discuss</i> and have a bit of fun.