Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tech198

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Can you make a USB stick with Mountain Lion ?

I mean i've seen most articles now allow you to make it with a utility, and I've just fund out Disk Utility n the Mac now no longer works...:(

Is this true ?

jnl1211

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2011
NWIndiana
What do you mean Disk Utility no longer works? It works fine.

Mount the InstallESD and in disk utility drag that volume to the source box and your USB to the destination. For some reason 99% of people have been getting an error restoring the InstallESD to a usb drive

Tech198

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011

What do you mean Disk Utility no longer works? It works fine.

Mount the InstallESD and in disk utility drag that volume to the source box and your USB to the destination. For some reason 99% of people have been getting an error restoring the InstallESD to a usb drive

Obviously, doing something wrong then, coz I have tried doing this same thing several times.

Even to make it easier I even tried Lion Disk Maker...

http://blog.gete.net/lion-diskmaker-us/

Even this didn't help and make it bootable.. This was all done on a USB 8 Gig blank (Journaled partition)

Then again... I did download Mountain Lion with the upgrade Redeem from Apple.

I doubt this would be the reason. but it sure looks like it.

gerryf

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2012
I used diskmaker to create the a bootable usb flashdrive and it worked just fine. You ran diskmaker before the ML upgrade? Because if you try it after, the important files are deleted.

Tech198

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011

I used diskmaker to create the a bootable usb flashdrive and it worked just fine. You ran diskmaker before the ML upgrade? Because if you try it after, the important files are deleted.

Yes... I ran it from 10.7.

I did a in-place upgrade from the installer in /Applications till i sort this out, but ultimatly i want to do a clean install on new HD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.